PDA

View Full Version : For a Research Paper

cationanion
Thu, 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey guys. I need some help for my research paper.
Would any of you know some interesting topics/issues/controversies relating to the anime culture for my paper? It would be really helpful if you could give some suggestions. :) Thanks!

Animeniax
Thu, 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Here's one: outsourcing of animation duties to studios in Korea. Their work is shoddy and not up to the standards of the Japanese who made anime what it is.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Here's one: outsourcing of animation duties to studios in Korea. Their work is shoddy and not up to the standards of the Japanese who made anime what it is.

Then, as they learn to improve, the lower labour costs would provide incentives for further outsourcing of work to foreign studios, resulting in a diminishing domestic anime industry in Japan.

Assertn
Thu, 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
How about "joining online anime communities to ask them to do your homework"?
How controversial!

Sapphire
Thu, 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Otaku culture vs. casual viewer culture. How people define themselves vs. how they are defined by society

Anime archetypes and their trends vs. their appeal to the public

Morality of fansubs

How anime represents Japanese national identity

This is getting me excited.. :D

Animeniax
Thu, 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Then, as they learn to improve, the lower labour costs would provide incentives for further outsourcing of work to foreign studios, resulting in a diminishing domestic anime industry in Japan.
Depends on if you think this is good or bad for Japan and for anime. Personally anime is Japanese to me, and should stay in-house. That will keep jobs, innovation, and the art a part of Japan.

Kraco
Thu, 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Depends on if you think this is good or bad for Japan and for anime. Personally anime is Japanese to me, and should stay in-house. That will keep jobs, innovation, and the art a part of Japan.

Unfortunately it's such a tough business that they can't pay even the Japanese reasonable wages so it's no wonder they outsource to more inexpensive countries if they can save even a single yen by doing so. Considering the Japanese are dying out at the same time, there's little that can be done about the situation until they get computer software that pretty much draws the frames by itself yet still produces artistic enough material.

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Is it sad that I remember a thread similar to this one back from 2005?

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12193

Deals with Sapphire's first suggestion. However, you could also look into outsourcing as Animeniax suggested, but that's not a problem specific to anime so it wouldn't make for a very strong paper if you wanted to only focus on anime.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
That's weird, why is the thread title at the top of every thread post in that link? Was that how things were done in 2005?

To cationanion: you could do a paper about weaboos/wapanese and how anime/manga gives them a pathetically looking-glass limited view of Japan as a culture and people.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey guys. I need some help for my research paper.
Would any of you know some interesting topics/issues/controversies relating to the anime culture for my paper? It would be really helpful if you could give some suggestions. :) Thanks!

"anime culture"?

Then how about people getting addicted to it and marrying anime/game characters? There's a whole bunch of photos of birthday cakes celebrating on-screen characters too. Is anime taking people from reality?

Depending on how long your paper is, it's probably better to focus on a few issues (or even on), and flesh that one out rather than glossing over all of these.

Kraco
Fri, 01-15-2010, 03:02 AM
If it's going to be a paper of any seriousness, you need to pick a topic you can approach a bit closer than, for example, the marrying 2D characters issue. I doubt that has ever happened outside of the Japanese HC otaku and how does one research that? You would probably need to be Japanese yourself or rely completely on second hand "news" sources reporting in a highly biased and sensationalistic manner.

enkoujin
Fri, 01-15-2010, 03:38 AM
You would probably need to be Japanese yourself or rely completely on second hand "news" sources reporting in a highly biased and sensationalistic manner.

*Sankaku Complex*

The topics Sapphire talked about are really good and I would like to make some additional suggestions:

-broadcasting censorship
-sociological transformations, lifestyles and effects of anime on otaku
-negative images of otaku in Japan
-the underpaid workers behind the scenes of anime
-comparitive paper highlighting the unique differences between anime and other forms of media
-radical ideologies presented in their storylines and their influences
-increasing sexualization of women portrayed through anime
-piracy involved with anime (include the roles of fansubbers and torrenting programs)
-effect anime has on Japan's economy and GDP
-increasing misleading and/or negative portrayals of Japanese people and their culture from anime and whether this is good or bad
-is anime a phenomenon of cultural imperialism?
-effects anime has on [global] popular culture

Good luck!

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I think more people would like my topic suggestion if they weren't a bunch of lame weeaboos themselves. You have to start by looking at the man (or woman) in the mirror, folks.

Kraco
Fri, 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Actually when I read your suggestion, I thought it was a very interesting and plausible one, but your complete failure at presenting it in a more objective and scientific manner might deter people. "weaboos/wapanese" and "pathetically" don't look good in a research title of any sort. If you want to be taken seriously, you have present your case seriously.

Sapphire
Fri, 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Right. Phrasing things a certain way can make people automatically take a stance for something or against something... (I automatically disagreed with your thesis on Japanese outsourcing and began to collect reasons why your thesis was wrong before even finishing the sentence)

I find the best (http://www.jstor.org/pss/3528804) research papers present both points sufficiently (with reasoning), and without emotional connotation.. otherwise you'll find the reader automatically agreeing or disagreeing with you without even bothering to read the paper. Then of course the expert writer weaves in their opinion subtly or perhaps finds a commonality that transcends the opposing points.. But if you're trying to make a different sort of persuasive paper w.e

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I find the best (http://www.jstor.org/pss/3528804) research papers present both points sufficiently (with reasoning), and without emotional connotation.. otherwise you'll find the reader automatically agreeing or disagreeing with you without even bothering to read the paper. Then of course the expert writer weaves in their opinion subtly or perhaps finds a commonality that transcends the opposing points.. But if you're trying to make a different sort of persuasive paper w.e

Some research papers are (either intentionally or unintentionally) biased towards one viewpoint or result due to evidence gathering flaws. If a "population study" was taken from a specific demographic but applied to a different one, or "surveys" were taken by only 10 people, then the extrapolated meanings from these results should be taken with care.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Right. Phrasing things a certain way can make people automatically take a stance for something or against something... (I automatically disagreed with your thesis on Japanese outsourcing and began to collect reasons why your thesis was wrong before even finishing the sentence)

Good points but something tells me this assignment is for remedial English 101 at freshman high school, so he'll get a C- as long as he turns in a paper with his name spelled correctly.

Kraco
Fri, 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Considering the discussion has been going on here for a while and the dude never got back to check the thread, I wouldn't be surprised if his class was Digital Mass Advertisement 101.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Could very well be, except I got a nasty neg rep for one of my comments in this thread. So either I offended the thread starter for making a mockery of his thread or one of the other weeaboos on the forums got upset with me.

Sapphire
Fri, 01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I was going to rep you with a rebuttal to your isolationist post, but I've repped you too recently...

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM
I was going to rep you with a rebuttal to your isolationist post, but I've repped you too recently...
My view isn't so much isolationist as it is anti-Korean.

fahoumh
Fri, 01-15-2010, 06:41 PM
How about "joining online anime communities to ask them to do your homework"?
How controversial!
Don't forget lazy and tactless.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't forget lazy and tactless.
Yes but laziness and tactlessness aren't requirements for the subject matter of the assignment.

cationanion
Sat, 01-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Hey guys. Finally got to the forums. I wasn't able to check it yesterday. This is for my English class. And no, I'm not offended. In fact, I am very grateful for all of your help. I'll see which topic I can tackle. Btw, my teacher suggested me to ask this particular forum--which I did. :) Thanks! You guys can still thrown in more suggestions if ever.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey guys. Finally got to the forums. I wasn't able to check it yesterday. This is for my English class. And no, I'm not offended. In fact, I am very grateful for all of your help. I'll see which topic I can tackle. Btw, my teacher suggested me to ask this particular forum--which I did. :) Thanks! You guys can still thrown in more suggestions if ever.

Your teacher is a reader?!

Animeniax
Sat, 01-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Or a lurker...

My guess is KitKat.

cationanion
Sat, 01-16-2010, 12:47 PM
No she's not.. --I believe.

Sapphire
Sat, 01-16-2010, 06:40 PM
You were assigned to write about anime in an English class? Or just culture? I have to take something like Japanese Language and Structure in Mass Media if I want to be assigned to write about anime. XD

Animeniax
Sat, 01-16-2010, 07:11 PM
You were assigned to write about anime in an English class? Or just culture? I have to take something like Japanese Language and Structure in Mass Media if I want to be assigned to write about anime. XD
Your second sentence would make a middle school English teacher weep.

Sapphire
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Why, because they can't accept a dependent clause when the topic is implied?

enkoujin
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:12 PM
It is because every sentence requires a subject and predicate, including questions. Your's does not contain a predicate.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM
My bad, I meant to cite your third sentence.

XanBcoo
Sat, 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
What's wrong with the third sentence?

KitKat
Mon, 01-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Or a lurker...

My guess is KitKat.

Hey, I'm not a lurker! I'm just not.....reading the forums very much these days, due to an absence of anime-watching. Psyke encouraged me to drop in and say hi.

As much as I would like to take credit for corrupting young minds encouraging new people to join the forum, I'm currently a student, and not a teacher.

I find it very interesting though that gotwoot has achieved a certain level of reputation to spill over into real life, as it were.