PDA

View Full Version : Traditionnal TV might die someday (youtube 1080p)

David75
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Titles sounds somewhat strange?

Well youtube is starting to offer 1080p vids.
It's not the first video service doing it to my knowledge, Vimeo started months ago I think.

But it's the most popular one swtiching.

Why would traditional TV die?
Well if the internet can provide top notch quality image and sound when you want, without delay... it certainly is more interresting than checking you tv guide and have to wait for a program to start. Also, you should have more choice and create your own schedule of things to watch etc...

For the moment, it might be a bit presomptuous to say that, actual resolution is 1080, but there's the compression factor. So there's a need to wait a little I guess for high quality content. But it's not impossible, after all some ISP offer HDTV via ADSL thanks to MPEG4 encryption. It'll be even easier when optic fiber gets home... and I'm not that far to get it, I just need to move at the right place... but it's almost there, I've actually played with some of those lines at 100mb/s down and 20 up... Obvious change is download speed. TV services were still encoded for ADSL bandwidth, so no difference here.

What I mean is that in the not so far future, the primary way of connecting the TV could well be a wireless or ethernet socket, and your TV will get its programs directly from the web, rather that from a calbe/satellite or traditionnal antenna. And the set should be able to get lots of different contents, not just sequential schedules, premaid and with no user interaction.

So youtube in 1080?
Well here are some samples, might stutter depending on the comp and software config:

Air OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcj8ZFQ4NB0&fmt=37

Some movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULSuNiA468&fmt=37

Find more with a google search, thanks to the fmt37 trick
http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:youtube.com%20inurl:fmt=37

Youtube will probably track copyrighted material, but for many anime shows, I sure will check wether there's something on youtube or other similar sites, before torrenting.
I already did to check wether I would like a show or not, but since quality wasn't that good and flasplayer not that ergonomic (shortcut keys?) I restrained my use.
But that might change in the future.

Enjoy!

Paulyboy
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow stuttered on me so it might work for other people but just saw that clip of "some movie" and Clash of the Titans looks really bad ass. Plan on it seeing it... in the next 2-3 years :(. But I see it now! 1080p streaming of anime, especially ones that aren't torrented anymore.

David75
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow stuttered on me so it might work for other people but just saw that clip of "some movie" and Clash of the Titans looks really bad ass. Plan on it seeing it... in the next 2-3 years :(. But I see it now! 1080p streaming of anime, especially ones that aren't torrented anymore.

Try having the whole stream cached, I know it's kinda dumb, but It reduces stuttering.
I think the problem is with flashplayer, I can't think of another reason.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't think that way.
Youtube is hip, and all, but the core of television is still viewers who don't "get" computers (baby-boomers). rather than technological early adapters. I agree that in the future, Tv won't be the same, and that most of the series we watch (drama, comedy, action) will be on-demand basis, rather than just syndicated on air. but the core of TV will stay the same, news, politics and opinions.

of course, some networks are shooting themselves in the leg, trying to show LOLcats and compete with youtube (by airing the same vidoes). and those are the networks who won't survive.

samsonlonghair
Wed, 11-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Traditional TV already is dead. At least it is to me. I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house years ago, and I almost never watch anything via antennae. Everything I watch is either bittorrent or streaming. There's more selection online, no commercials, and it's free. I don't understand why anyone with any technical knowledge would continue to pay for cable/satellite.

I can already watch Youtube videos on my Wii. Netflix users can watch streaming movies via XBOX live. Plus there are devices like appleTV. Next time I have money to build a PC, I'll make sure I can connect it to my TV. It wouldn't really be hard to build a dedicated media center PC.

I've heard that new television sets are going to be designed with built-in networking. You'll be able to browse the web from your tv without any external devices, or stream content from your local area network to your tv set.

Traditional TV is extinct.

Kraco
Thu, 11-19-2009, 02:06 AM
It's certainly true that during the recent years TVs have shifted from being broadcast receivers to general display devices meant to be connected to all kinds of equipment.

However, lots of TV series still receive the majority of their financing from the airing rights from TV stations. I'm not entirely sure that mechanism has yet adapted to the future situation of traditional passive, commercials funded TV stations phasing out. Samsonlonghair's methods of bittorrent or (unofficial since it's adless) streaming doesn't really fund any future TV series.

Psyke
Thu, 11-19-2009, 02:32 AM
But I like watching commercials. :)

Kraco
Thu, 11-19-2009, 02:53 AM
But I like watching commercials.

You wouldn't if you lived over here. Interestingly enough there's only a small bunch of companies that can produce interesting or awesome commercials. And it's always the same companies. The rest produce the kind of garbage that would make a first year digital media student cry (either because it's so bad or because the student realises in the future they will be forced to make that kind of shit themselves).

Psyke
Thu, 11-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Luckily we get lots of internationally made commercials here, even from Korea or Japan here. The shitty commercials get the shitty and cheap timeslots like 2am.

David75
Thu, 11-19-2009, 03:48 AM
aye, it's true that the economical model isn't well established yet, but it's been the case for over 10 years now... and even in a world you'd think there's no money, you get giants like Google, Yahoo and others I guess.

I myself, do not watch tv for more than 1-2 hours a week, maybe even less.
And I'd be more than pleased to have a TV able to give value added content from an internet connection and no additional box bringing another infamous remote and connection problems...
But for now, my comp does the trick ;)

Regarding the eventual decline of traditionnal TV, it should start in industrialised countries, with our and next gen I guess.

David75
Sun, 01-03-2010, 02:19 AM
There's a flashplayer 10.1 beta now, reduces lags in youtubeHD for example (not network ones ;) )

Have fun

Assertn
Sun, 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
This thread's title is a ridiculous statement. Of course traditional TV will die someday. VHS died. Pagers died. DVDs and CDs will die. Technology evolves.

However, before the internet can dare to replace cable/satellite, the entire country-wide network has to be upgraded to fiber optics. Theres just not enough bandwidth