PDA

View Full Version : Internet privacy, the fight continues

David75
Tue, 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Guys from ESIEA in Paris opened project perseus.

This project is to be able to protect citizen's privacy for all of their internet uses.

Short explanation of how it works:
Sender adds lots of noise to their data by modifying bits with complex transforms etc..
Receiver can decode data only because they have enough data to get noise profile and recreate data.

The idea is that it's a kind of encryption that does not need secure keys as some other methods. Because with these keys, you have legal limitations in most countries of the world...

It's safe against packet sniffing, provided the sniffer can't get all packets to extract noise.
It's safe against data corruption from attacks and so on, as noise profile is modified.
It's not safe against man in the middle I think.

Another service I'd like to try is btaccel
The idea is to paste a torrent link, have their servers download the thing, and then do a direct dl from their servers.
Ok I know, you have to trust them and there are limitations I'm sure... did not try yet.

The idea is that I could organise my dls when not at home, without the need to have my comp on and try and take control from a distant site... I do not like the idea.
I already know it doesn't work with private trackers.
Also, it necessarily adds time before you can get the file, so not for your highly anticipated show of the week.
Also, you need a code for activation, just sent an email and will see how much time is needed to get access to the alfa version.

David75
Fri, 11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Addendum: Quick Btaccel review

I found an access code to Btaccel, it was fast and easy, just some googling.

What happened?
I tried to download Bleach Movie 3, 700Mb from DB, a well seeded torrent.

The download did not start immediately, it was delayed for a long time, then it started, I did not have the patience to wait for the end. You only have a % of dl and dl speed, no estimate time.
The delay probably is due to the fact that the service is in alpha and used a lot, but you could argue that when it goes public with paid accounts, free accounts will also experience that kind of delay.

When I was back from work the dl was ready.
I used a download accelerator and my dsl was at full speed for that download.

Morale?
I'm sure that if I used utorrent, I'm sure I would also have maxed my dsl, because of the so many seeds and the fact that bleach dls are always fast.
I have also tried other dls, this is no faster for same torrent as using utorrent, from my machine at least.

So you'd think there's no advantage?

Well, it's a cache after all, so you can always start a dl from work when not at home, without having your comp on all day or using tools to access your comp from the internet.

The other advantage is that even behing a firewall, provided you have http access, you can use that service, and even dowload the files... and you wouldn't be able to do so with usual torrent apps... you can even use a dl accelerator when the dl is ready in your account.

btaccel also has a proxy, useful to access torrent website, it's not very fast, but is useful.

So I guess you can use it:
From work
If you are really paranoïd, but then you won't as you wouldn't trust the ones behind the service.
As a second solution when you are away from home, or if you have more important dls to start, and less important ones... that will be ready for direct dl when you decide to get them.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
What the hell DO?

David75
Fri, 11-27-2009, 01:02 AM
What the hell DO?

Humm? the hell?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Humm? the hell?

DO was crap-posting in here. Post has been moved.