PDA

View Full Version : Needless

Archangel
Mon, 11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1244/60090484.jpg

Plot Summary:

In the near future, mankind has suffered from a Third World War, leaving extreme damage all over and forced mankind to become even more distinct from their species. The world was at chaos and from this chaos comes a new species: “Needless”. The Needless are humans who have contracted a “disease” as humans may call them, and allow them to wield extraordinary powers far superior to any mankind. Their abilities include Telekinesis, elemental powers, gravity control, adaptation, radioactive release and all manners of scientific impossibility.

Genres: action, comedy, science fiction

Official website:
NEEDLESS Official Website (Japanese) (http://needless.jp/)

ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10709) - AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6467)

I recommend you get the releases from [Ayako-Himatsubushi]

animus
Mon, 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Oddly enough in the past 3 days I've been watching this series. Up to episode 11 or so, so far? It's playing off on a little of the TTGL craze. It's got quite a bit of humor, over the top action, and gratutious fan service. So far, I wouldn't say it's better than TTGL, but it's pretty good in it's own right.

Archangel
Mon, 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4202/needlessvsgurrenlagann.jpg (http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac75/de-arimasu/Funny/31697f1d0b7c066bf7f8e1a8ab14acd2.jpg)

Penner
Tue, 11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Well that image settles it, i'm so watching this.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Looks fairly entertaining. I'll pick this up next season, since I'm already loaded.

Yukimura
Tue, 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Woot! Other people are into Needless. I was pretty sure no one from this forum would care about it since there's no tsundere romance and the moe characters can kick ass instead of trip under their own feet.

Needless is what I consider good old fashioned fun. The jokes are slapstick and accessible, the action is insanely over the top and completely unrealistic, but each battle is more fantasmagoric than the last and the characters fill out their roles well and manage to be entertaining as long as you are content to let them be what they are.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
there's no tsunere romance and the moe characters can kick ass instead of trip under their own feet.

I actually find these the good qualities of this anime. Action packed show filled with bad ass lolis (about 90% of the female cast btw) FTW.

The jokes are slapstick and accessible, the action is insanely over the top and completely unrealistic, but each battle is more fantasmagoric than the last

These I find to be its negative aspects at most times. Sometimes it does work though, and I get a good laugh. I just hope they stop making 5 minute long speeches when the situation should only allow for 3 seconds of free time. Meaninglessly waiting for the enemy during battle is a scenario for (really young) children, and this show could be much better without it.

Over the top really worked well in Guren Lagann, but Needless has way to many logical mistakes despite its attempt at sounding logical. GL never even tried to be logical, with the random sudden power-ups, "shouting makes you stronger moments" and whatnot. Needless tries to add a hint of logic (such as having only 1 power per Needless, having a wussy pivotal character that is only good for thinking and strategy) but fails at it. If you even stop to think about the events, you will be asking "why???" each time.

I still like it though, since I always turn my brain off when watching it. The loli pantsu is more than enough to keep me watching this.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Awesome show is awesome

Just don't over think it and enjoy the over the top aggression, fanservice and overall stupidity

When everything else fails just go like this:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3535/23739081.gif

Yukimura
Wed, 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Over the top really worked well in Guren Lagann, but Needless has way to many logical mistakes despite its attempt at sounding logical. GL never even tried to be logical, with the random sudden power-ups, "shouting makes you stronger moments" and whatnot. Needless tries to add a hint of logic (such as having only 1 power per Needless, having a wussy pivotal character that is only good for thinking and strategy) but fails at it. If you even stop to think about the events, you will be asking "why???" each time.

Lol this whole paragraph is demonstrative of why I didn't expect people here to like this show (I'm not at all surprised it was written by fiction expert and local hero shinta|hikari). Somehow a few events that seem logical on the surface mean the entire show is trying to be logical? Classic. I think you're confusing introducing boundaries for the sake of creating 'drama' with purposefully trying to follow some sort of internal logic in order to create a sense of actual drama.

In Gurren Lagann there were no effective boundaries to what could be done so any semblance of logic quickly went out the window as all the drama came from the two sides constantly one uping each other in audaciousness. With Needless boundaries exist only insofar as they facilitate the tension during fights and pump up the audaciousness factor when they are subverted. These boundaries are discarded just as readily as they are introduced once they have served their short term purpose so I don't ever pay them any attention. Blade already blows the one fragment per Needless element away, Eve's energy dependence is solved later in the show, and none of the characters can die no matter how hurt they are.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Finally caught up

So my impressions so far is that this is just a fantastically over the top on shonen anime that you will most certainly appreciate for its action, comedy, plot and characters if ( and this is a big if ) you don't over think it and just enjoy the bumpy ride of awesome and GAR as it goes on

Particular thoughts ( this is gonna be messy, just work with me for a bit )

- Blade was already awesome with his ability and overall attitude of "too cool to give a shit" but then they went ahead and made him a lolicon... thumbs up on that one, hope the lolis will keep coming so comedy can ensue

- First i thought Eve was there to look pretty and (fan)service our needs but for a airhead character she's surprisingly likable. It's probably because she's not shy on using violence and manages to hold her own pretty well on a fight without outshining the main character

- So... yeah Cruz is a wimp, i can't make excuses about that. But if i were to make TTGL comparisons there's only one character who would fit him, and i think he turned out pretty well in the end wouldn't you all agree?

PS: I bet he'll have some Uber destructo fragment in the end, he's just too young and a pussy to use it yet

- So i'm not the only one thinking that this Saten fellow is also a part of the Adam cloning line right?

- The sis being a bitch was completely ruined by the fucking OP and coloring ( having her hair green ), but it was still a nice twist when she went all evil on... well, everything. The over the top bitchiness makes her appealing in a disturbing way

I'm sure i have other things on my mind, but after 18 episode it's all a huge clausterfuck. As discussion continues i sure i'll come up with more, so start posting peeps

The soundtrack is quite good too, feels a bit more western than usual when it comes to anime

PS: For those still on the fence about this

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6131/25750164.jpg

And it gets better you pervs!!

Yukimura
Wed, 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I vote yes on all points Archie. I didn't even think about the sister until they confirmed that we still hadn't seen the 4th strongest but I immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was her once I saw the hair and the mask. I was expecting her to be at least somewhat conflicted about beating up her own brought though so it was interesting to see that she seems to have completely cast her brother aside for the sake of Simeon.

Eve is currently one of my favorite action girls. From the first fight I was impressed at how she didn't need Blade to save her constantly and she's just gotten more hilarious and awesome from there. Her default attitude is about as feminine as a rabid dog but that makes her occasional moe-esque moments hit me even harder for laughs and cuteness.

I never gave much thought to Saten's motivations but I guess he has been going pretty far out of his way to help out the good guys. At first I thought he just wanted a good fight with Blade and had been manipulating things to he could get one but it would also make sense that he sees Blade and his band as a chance to break free of Arclights control if he is there against his will. Whatever the case my be I don't really care as long as it's epic.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
It actually hadn't crossed my mind until i saw the opening, i hate it when that happens

Eve is indeed awesome, she's both badass and funny, sexy and cute ( body and face wise ), stupid and stuupider... she's the whole package for what one would look for in an anime girl

The first thing that caught my eye was the design but then i figured that the creator could simply just not be that good if an artist. Then we were informed about the Adam clones, how all of them were somewhat similar ( being clones and all ) and how he was constantly helping them out when they needed it the most. The chance that he was one of those guys who just wanted to fight the main protagonist at full force went out the window too when he switched to fight Eve instead

PS: There's Yuri too faggots!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9S1edG9g0)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Lol this whole paragraph is demonstrative of why I didn't expect people here to like this show (I'm not at all surprised it was written by fiction expert and local hero shinta|hikari). Somehow a few events that seem logical on the surface mean the entire show is trying to be logical? Classic. I think you're confusing introducing boundaries for the sake of creating 'drama' with purposefully trying to follow some sort of internal logic in order to create a sense of actual drama.

I'm sorry, but I never said anything like that. I said that the show is trying to "sound" logical, not be actually logical. Super powers are not logical in the first place. I really just like shows that make sense, so that is my personal preference. I am not saying Needless sucks because it doesn't, but there are points that are just too absurd and that drags it down.

With Needless boundaries exist only insofar as they facilitate the tension during fights and pump up the audaciousness factor when they are subverted. These boundaries are discarded just as readily as they are introduced once they have served their short term purpose so I don't ever pay them any attention.

I said the same thing, albeit not in the same detail or seriousness.

If you even stop to think about the events, you will be asking "why???" each time. I still like it though, since I always turn my brain off when watching it.

GL didn't have boundaries (as can be seen in its title), while Needless does, but they throw them out all the time. I generally don't like that, and it is not the best storytelling method, but if one ignores it this show is quite enjoyable.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Look Shinta, look!!!

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4120/25001431.jpg

( Trying to distract him with shiny lolis so we can move on with the anime discussion )

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

My thoughts turned into subtitles!

People really should start watching Needless. If people are watching Kampfer, they should have enough free time to get a dose of that.

If this show had better art, it would be awesome.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:28 PM
It does have some nice animation and the character design isn't half bad ( a bit repetitive but very GAR )

I'm sure those TTGL wannabe moments are a poor excuse for cheap animation but i'm willing to let those slide for the greater good

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7606/84329416.jpg

Last image, if this keeps up i'll spoil something eventually

And no, that's not a montage

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love the character designs (for obvious reasons). It is just that animation quality tends to drop sometimes, and looks sloppily drawn (bad proportions and facial/body shapes)

Rushed edit after checking GW control panel:

I really liked the fact that the sister is evil. The moment I saw the green haired enemy, I thought that they reused the mind control plot again, but when it was revealed that she was on Arclight's side from day 1, I was very pleasantly surprised. A sister killing her brother with very little hesitation rarely happens.

I absolutely laughed my ass off at the preview comment last episode, when Cruz begged his sister to stop fighting because she was not wearing underwear. What sold the joke was how his sister said "I don't care" and he replied "Please do!" or something like that.

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Enough propaganda, lets discuss the actual episodes

This is interesting, have you guys noticed it yet?

http://www.onemanga.com/Needless/9/08/

http://www.onemanga.com/Needless/9/15/

The scientists considered Blade to be a success but he claims to be a failure? Maybe the experimentation process failed further down the line?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Did they also say that in the anime?

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I think they did

Based on that i have come up with yet another theory:

- The Second's power is just too great for their bodies to handle so all of the clones ( or most of them at least ) are defected, should it be physically like Arclight or mentally like blade who seems to suffer from some sort of amnesia

Archangel
Tue, 11-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Needless 19 is out by Ayako

XVID (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_19v2_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5B65B2EABA%5D.avi.torre nt) | H264 (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_19_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5BE88925B0%5D.mkv.torrent )

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
i just picked up this show (the few avi episodes that Ayako has released) and i do enjoy it greatly. it is absolutely stupid and so full of parading cliches that i cant help but enjoy it. i particularly look forward to watching how the absurd plot line spins further and further out of control with each new episodes trying to duct tape an old shounen trope onto the hodgepodge they already have going.

i would also like to take this opportunity to say that nobody should ever be subjected to what Ayako did with the OP and ED for episode 10. or wherever it was. ugh.

edit - i dont think i have ever laughed as hard during an action anime as i did than when Blade went all broken during episode 14. fucking hilarious.

Archangel
Tue, 11-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Needless 20 is out by Ayako

XVID (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_20_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5B2FD6B443%5D.avi.torrent )| H264 (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_20_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5B6B3766B9%5D.mkv.torrent )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... i feel so stupid for only have realized the Adam/Eve connection until just now...

I blame the confusing last names

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Same here Arch...I did not see the super obvious either ^^;
I wonder how the hell Arclight survived. I mean he has no hard nor right eye. I doubt there is some kind of replacement for a heart in all that garbage. And it seems Blade isn't yet "corrupted". I expected him to jump around screaming"A GIRL!" But that didn't happen.

animus
Tue, 11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I saw the reference, but I didn't think it was anything important. I figured it was just a super convenient way of naming stuff in a random way.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I didn't realize it either. I got Adam (as in first of the species), but Eve kind of slipped by so I didn't form the connection.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I picked this up since exams are over. Good laughs here and there. I liked that baseball anime exclamation back whenever. Maybe it was just me.

As for characters, overall I like Eve. She's cute inside AND out. Plus, using transforming as an excuse for a costume change works well on me. The Gravity-girl's probably my favourite going by pure external character design (and who doesn't like big swords with a skull?). Third spot would probably go to Discus. The Fragrance girl was cute too.(lol @ Speed having a bust of 89 and Fragrance with a hip of 88. That is so not loli)

I don't care much for the guys. Yamada better get a powerup soon, and Saten's pretty cool. 50 bucks says he's that young scientist in Gido's team.

I have no idea where this is going in terms of romance, or if it wants to go there at all. Eve's got the hots for Blade, and their name suggests they're the "dedicated" pair. Blade's too much of an unfaithful lolicon though, so I'm kind of rooting for a Yamada x Eve pairing. Discus and Uchida had a few moments too.

Yukimura
Sun, 11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Dear god please no romance!!! I would cry if there was any overt romance injected into this show.

Archangel
Sun, 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Dear god please no romance!!! I would cry if there was any overt romance injected into this show.

This .

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
i'll jump in and also say i would prefer that this story not include a big focus on romance. i even thought the romance element in Gido's flashback episode was a little too... out of place... in this series.

i did, however, always imagine that Blade and Eve would get paired up together because of their names.

keep it light and mindless. that's what this show does best

buffalo: i think you struck gold on that Saten = the other guy in Gido's team. i had a very weird (why the fuck are they naming this guy?) moment when they started the flashback episode.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Ayako - Episode 21 (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_21_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5B768E10AC%5D.mkv.torrent )

edit: and the 400p ver.

http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_21_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5B7CCC2DFB%5D.avi.torrent

Archangel
Tue, 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
The amnesia seemed to come out of nowhere but otherwise a fun ep

Edit: I take that back, that explains why Blade didn't have any fragments when he met with Cruz when he should at the very least had already learned Magnetic World

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Eve was just TOO cute! :3

The Black Spot must be one hell of a wacky place to turn Blade and Even into what they are now.

So from all this, the suppressed Seeds of Eden in Blade traded off power for stability, explaining why he doesn't possess Arclight's positive feedback power, but also doesn't ruin his body.

Archangel
Tue, 11-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Eve was just TOO cute! :3

The Black Spot must be one hell of a wacky place to turn Blade and Even into what they are now.

Lolicon :O

And what do you mean? Eve hasn't changed AT ALL!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Lolicon :O

And what do you mean? Eve hasn't changed AT ALL!

She didn't randomly punch people.

Marik
Wed, 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
[LSS] Needless​ Special​ -​ 01v2 [576p] [H264] [39A4DCEE].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=101692)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
[LSS] Needless​ Special​ -​ 01 [576p] [H264] [75751453].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=101681)

lol. They sure don't waste time getting to the point.

This is an all-girls school, then BAM! Fanservice. Hope you enjoyed it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM
LSS - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=101704)

Archangel
Thu, 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Those are some bad subs... i'd wait for Ayako if i was you

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Those are some bad subs... i'd wait for Ayako if i was you

Why, I didn't see anything wrong with them. I needed my Needless fix anyway. Comments below.

------------------------
The back and forth pounding of Arclight and Blade wasn't very thrilling to watch. Saten was pretty kickass though. Too bad I predict his character would only go downhill from here. He looks less cool without his bandage + white eyes. Now that we see his pupils and intentions, all I can see is the power-hungry Arclight #2 looking for ways to prolong his life as while having a ton of fragments. Overall it's just less appealing than the reserved, mysterious guy who's sitting on the fence and has a crush on Eve.

(I still think he does, and that his plan will fail + he will be redeemed somewhat because of his feelings towards her. Eve does look a lot like that other dead female scientist after all) <-- maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM
what the fuck people? when I have to be the one posting episode links...

Ayako - Needless Episode 22 - xvid (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_22_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5BE90AA175%5D.avi.torrent )
Ayako - Needless Episode 22 - mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_22_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5B102B2984%5D.mkv.torrent )

Ayako - Needless Episode 23 - xvid (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_23_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5BE242DC32%5D.avi.torrent )
Ayako - Needless Episode 23 - mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_23_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5BEB07E592%5D.mkv.torrent )

Ayako - Needless Episode S1 - xvid (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_S1_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5BFADB7759%5D.avi.torrent )
Ayako - Needless Episode S1 - mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_S1_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5B27E1CD21%5D.mkv.torrent )

as always tho, i am using irc downloads. the links are from ayako's homepage, so they should be fine

edit - jesus fucking christ marik. lurk much?

Marik
Sun, 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM
heh, finally. I didn't want to use LSS for full eps.

edit - jesus fucking christ marik. lurk much?
Of course.

Archangel
Sun, 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Episode 22 was cool

Episode 23... yah it was knee deep in inconsistencies, but i kind of sympathized with Saten for his one sided love and how he was trying so hard to make up for it with Eve. Arclight raping Riru was also highly entertaining

Can't believe the next episode is the last one... Super Sayan Arclight !!!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Episode 22 was cool

Forth Wave's 2-step attack always seemed inconvenient despite granting you in practice 2 powers. Simultaneous charge and shoot was the cool way to do it.

Episode 23... yah it was knee deep in inconsistencies, but i kind of sympathized with Saten for his one sided love and how he was trying so hard to make out with Eve.

Fixed that for you ;). His last words were about making Kasumi happy, but everything prior was Eve, have my baby!!

Arclight raping Riru was also highly entertaining

It was a huge one, but in the end it was still only ONE inconsistency. Too much of Eden's Seeds stuffed up Arclight's body, and now injecting more of Eden's Seeds fixed it. Blade's mentality must be a clone of the writer's.

The other inconsistent thing that has bugged me since its introduction was Agnishwattas. First they talk about rapidly vibrating molecules, but then thought it would be smart to throw in "microwave". You want to block microwaves? Get some tin foil.

Can't believe the next episode is the last one... Super Sayan Arclight !!!

When I saw the naked body and hair I thought of Hisoka!!. Then they gave us a goldern full-body shot and I thought SSJ!!

They're certainly slapping together as many shounen bits and pieces as they can find.

Archangel
Sun, 12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Lol, be glad that you only caught 1 inconsistency Bill. I guess my advice of not thinking too much about it worked, DON'T DO IT !

As a personal explanation to the whole resurrection mess i told myself that it was appropriate after all his bragging on his holyness and that technically what it did was reorganize Eden's Seeds using Riru as a blueprint ( i assume that her body was now physiologically somewhat like Saten's at this point ) and then strengthening itself using his own clone body

Yah it's a "little" makeshift but i like to convince myself with these so i don't keep beating good shows to the ground with my own annoying reasoning

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Lol, be glad that you only caught 1 inconsistency Bill. I guess my advice of not thinking too much about it worked, DON'T DO IT !

I assume you mean the part where crystal-bearers have to either

1) headbut the other guy
2) experience the ability first hand ie endure it

I picked that up too upon first viewing, but I was beyond caring (and so didn't class it as an inconsistency as such). Plus, I just thought of it as "refreshing" their memory, rather than learning from scratch.

Archangel
Sun, 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I mean nothing, why the hell would you deliberately ask me to tell you if you were lucky enough to not catch this stuff yourself ? -_-"

Marik
Sat, 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM
[Ayako-Himatsubushi]​ Needless​ -​ 24​ - 720p (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_24_%5B720p%5D%5BH264%5D%5BBC46EDE6%5D.mkv.torrent ) | 400p (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_-_24_%5B400p%5D%5BXVID%5D%5BCB061E82%5D.avi.torrent )

The End.

Batch (Eps 1-24) - 720p (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=103552) | 400p (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako-Himatsubushi%5D_Needless_01-24_%5BXVID%5D.torrent)

Yukimura
Sat, 12-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Darn, this last ep is too big to fit on a DVD with 13-23 in 720p. Considering it was also kind of pointless I don't much care about the quality so I guess I'll go with the XviD.

Anyway, the bad guy turns on all his former minions and then every named character in the show who's not already dead works with our heroes to save the day and everything gets wrapped up nice and neat, the end. I don't know what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting it to be this anti-climactic. That said Needless was a fun ride and I'm glad of the epic win moments it did manage to create. Hopefully the next spiritual successor to TTGL will end with a more satisfying bang though.

Archangel
Sat, 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyway, the bad guy turns on all his former minions and then every named character in the show who's not already dead works with our heroes to save the day and everything gets wrapped up nice and neat, the end. I don't know what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting it to be this anti-climactic. That said Needless was a fun ride and I'm glad of the epic win moments it did manage to create. Hopefully the next spiritual successor to TTGL will end with a more satisfying bang.

This, word per word

It all went to hell when the animation team took matters into their own hands. Honestly i don't know why they didn't just keep it an open ending with the possibility of sequels by following the manga faithfully till the end.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Can someone tell me why they needed a "catapult" when you could have just built a shelf and put magnetic-girl underneath it? Having her directly underneath also increases her 100m range. Or why anti-gravity wasn't used from the start?

One thing I did like was the evangelion-wing-style-shield that turned out to be their trump card against Arclight's attacks. That rather convenient memory loss/regain made for a believable powerup.

Nice funny series nonetheless.

Archangel
Sun, 12-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Can someone tell me why they needed a "catapult" when you could have just built a shelf and put magnetic-girl underneath it? Having her directly underneath also increases her 100m range. Or why anti-gravity wasn't used from the start?

One thing I did like was the evangelion-wing-style-shield that turned out to be their trump card against Arclight's attacks. That rather convenient memory loss/regain made for a believable powerup.

Nice funny series nonetheless.

Are you seriously trying to make sense of Needless logic? The 14 year old is considered a superhuman for having the awesome power of not being retarded... the fact that they made it up there was a victory all by itself, defeating arclight was just gravy.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
well, there goes Needless, a show with some priceless, crazy laughs, but drawn out over the course of alot of mediocre action, pervert standard fan service, and shounen cliches galore. i never expected it to be any good, and in that way i could appreciate it much the same way one appreciates the putrid stench of a particularly horrid crap. but now that it's over, i know for sure that it was just another way for me to mindlessly kill time. and in that respect it did well

anti-climactic ending for sure. they gave us a psyche! on the new big bad (Saten), then tried to turn him into a pitiable villain, then brought back the old one and gave him some super powers but classic Death Star is my Undoing, bad guy greed, and had the power of love and a Minor Charactor Super Combo be his undoing. everyone else gets a happy ending.

at least there wasn't really a "well i learned MY lesson" moment for most of the baddies who turned good at the end.

Are you seriously trying to make sense of Needless logic? The 14 year old is considered a superhuman for having the awesome power of not being retarded.

it's a show that is fun in parts, lackluster in the end (jesus, did we really need to wallow in those backstory episodes at the end?), and wallows gleefully in the fact that it's up to its neck in cliches, so much so that you have to laugh at it.

better than watching japanese live action drama, though