PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing and Internships

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Well I'm trying to get a paid internship for a company that does application development for local businesses who domestically source their jobs. It's only about 6 years old with only 20 employees. I was just wondering what my chances of being drug tested are should I get the position. I'm thinking with so few people, a developing organization wouldn't bother with it, but those who do work there (for a job, not an internship) have dental, life, vision, health, and a 401K (though it's unmatched). So how many of you have been tested for an internship? If it starts in January, would I be tested closer to that time, or closer to the two weeks from now they said they would contact me? I'm going to quit smoking if I won't be tested for a few months.

Munsu
Tue, 10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you know anyone at the company? I would guess that this would vary from company to company. Just stop smoking for the time being and see how it goes... you can always start again if you want.

I know a friend of mine got tested for his intership, but he drank one of those liquids that made the test inconclusive. By the end of it, he didn't get accepted.

itadakimasu
Tue, 10-27-2009, 01:36 PM
my experience w\ drug testing has been at the time of application. The last time I was interviewed and needed a drug test, they hired me contingent on my passing the drug test and background test.

drugs are bad, mmmk.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I've only ever been tested either during the interview process or on my first day. I've gotten the range of tests at different jobs, urine, saliva, and hair (from the leg in this case).

There are a lot of places that claim to have random testing, but so far, the only "random" is when they already suspect someone is heavily using drugs enough to interfere with their job.

I can't think of a place I've worked at or any of my friends have worked at that hasn't tested. They just don't test again after that first time.

Paulyboy
Tue, 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I've only ever been tested either during the interview process or on my first day. I've gotten the range of tests at different jobs, urine, saliva, and hair (from the leg in this case).

There are a lot of places that claim to have random testing, but so far, the only "random" is when they already suspect someone is heavily using drugs enough to interfere with their job.

There will always be a piss test during the first day if your doing an internship, like Ryllharu said they won't test you again unless corporate does a 10 year evaluation (right?). But hair? I thought they only do hair if its a level 4 security clearance job?

Animeniax
Tue, 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't get how doing drugs can outweigh having a sweet job, but I've never been one to enjoy drugs. It's like Ricky Williams and Nick Diaz; they'd rather get high than do their job that pays hundreds of thousands or even millions.

Mr Squiggles
Tue, 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Gonna have to echo what the others are saying here, and just say that your best bet is to quit smoking until the interview/possible testing comes, then just pick it up again later if you want.

Worse case scenario, you don't get tested and you just end up with some sobriety time to do some productive things. Plus, it would make you get that much more baked after such a tolerance break.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I need a T-break anyway, and I did find out they test. So Paulyboy, you're saying I'm more likely to be tested closer to January when it begins, and not in a few weeks when they're supposed to call me in?

Ani - I have bad anxiety attacks and insomnia sometimes. It's not all about pleasure.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Ahh I see, sorry to assume. Could you get a medical marijuana prescription for these conditions? I guess that partly depends on what state you live in.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
But hair? I thought they only do hair if its a level 4 security clearance job?It is indeed a government contractor job, so yeah, you're probably right.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Ahh I see, sorry to assume. Could you get a medical marijuana prescription for these conditions? I guess that partly depends on what state you live in.

I've been living in Arkansas for 12 years. This state would rather I pray when something ails me.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
I have never heard of being drug-tested for jobs here.

KitKat
Tue, 10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
A lot of my friends had to go through a drug test at the beginning of their job, and still have random drug tests at work I believe. But, that's because they all work in the nuclear power industry, and you really want the person in charge of calculating fuel for your reactor to be in full command of all their faculties.

Cal_kashi
Tue, 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I've been drug tested when I work with kids, but never for a technical job.
Most places in Silicon Valley don't test.
There are websites that let you know who does and doesn't test like this:
http://www.testclear.com/dtcompanies/searchcompany2.cfm

check it out.

Assertn
Wed, 10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Figures the only thread Azazel creates is titled Drug Testing and Internships

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Figures the only person who shitposts in my thread is a moderator ;)

Paulyboy
Thu, 10-29-2009, 01:15 AM
I need a T-break anyway, and I did find out they test. So Paulyboy, you're saying I'm more likely to be tested closer to January when it begins, and not in a few weeks when they're supposed to call me in?

Ani - I have bad anxiety attacks and insomnia sometimes. It's not all about pleasure.

Sorry for replying late but im sure about 90% of the time is during the interview. My dad deals with corporate interviews for his construction company.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 10-29-2009, 01:46 AM
Your employer does not have a right to your bodily fluids. If they ask for your urine, piss right in their faces.

Kraco
Thu, 10-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Your employer does not have a right to your bodily fluids. If they ask for your urine, piss right in their faces.

I'm sure that helps you to get selected for the job...

samsonlonghair
Thu, 10-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Damn right, employers love that kinky stuff.

Seriously though, it's not all about getting a job. Getting some respect at your work place matters too.

Cal_kashi
Thu, 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Employers DO have the right to require sobriety and to enforce such any way they see fit. They are not the government, they can hire you or dismiss you for any reasons whatsoever or for no reason at all (assuming a state with at will employment). Finally if they request or require sobriety and that doesn't jive with you you can leave. There is nothing keeping you at that job. You have agency and if that companies philosophies differ what what you want to help support you can change to a job who's beliefs are more inline with your own.
Corporations in America exist in a free market, a capitalist system. You are free to make choices and so is the company. If suddenly drugs became so commonplace that a company was having difficulty filling its positions with abstinent workers you better believe those policies will change very quickly. Similarly if consumers are demonstrating that they expect a company to be associated with 0 tolerance with drugs, and doing so by purchasing only from those businesses you can ensure that companies will continue to drug test.
The point of all this, finally, is that companies will do whatever they think is in the corporations best interest. Consumers and employees essentially dictate what beliefs a company will endow and it's fallacious to place the blame on the company entirely, if in any part at all.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Employers DO have the right to require sobriety and to enforce such any way they see fit. They are not the government, they can hire you or dismiss you for any reasons whatsoever or for no reason at all (assuming a state with at will employment). Finally if they request or require sobriety and that doesn't jive with you you can leave. There is nothing keeping you at that job. You have agency and if that companies philosophies differ what what you want to help support you can change to a job who's beliefs are more inline with your own.
Corporations in America exist in a free market, a capitalist system. You are free to make choices and so is the company. If suddenly drugs became so commonplace that a company was having difficulty filling its positions with abstinent workers you better believe those policies will change very quickly. Similarly if consumers are demonstrating that they expect a company to be associated with 0 tolerance with drugs, and doing so by purchasing only from those businesses you can ensure that companies will continue to drug test.
The point of all this, finally, is that companies will do whatever they think is in the corporations best interest. Consumers and employees essentially dictate what beliefs a company will endow and it's fallacious to place the blame on the company entirely, if in any part at all.

What Samson said was more being idealistic, obviously these companies have the right to drug test. The problem lies with privacy, hell, I could be pregnant and they could dismiss me on that basis. I've seen people fail a drug test and denied a job after prescription drugs (prescribed to them) were found, when the facility was informed of it beforehand. What you are prescribed is none of their business. Another problem is how fast drugs get out of your system. I understand companies don't want employees to do any drugs, but the fact that crystal meth and cocaine are out of your system in a matter of days leaves a company very vulnerable to hiring those types of users. I mean, I'm a professional person. I don't go to work high, I don't talk about those things with my coworkers, and I just want people to get out of my business regarding what I do with my free time. It shouldn't be asking for the goddamn moon.

complich8
Sun, 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM
So, to answer Ani's earlier question, medical marijuana's pretty limited in its scope, and as far as I can tell never prescribed for anxiety or other psychological conditions, nor is it generally recognized as a treatment for insomnia. One or both of those would probably be better treated by antidepressants, and there's some correlation between drug abuse and both conditions. Which came first is the question... but both have viable non-cannabinoid treatment options.

More recently, yeah ... drug testing's pretty controversial. I remember having to do a drug test when I started working at a local grocery store, which was kinda bullshit -- you can probably stock shelves roughly as well if you're lightly baked as if you're hung over from abusing a perfectly legal depressant, which may in fact keep you more on task than being sober.

Anyway, I started a clearance job about 2 years ago that didn't have any such requirement, and involved some classified documents with actual national security implications. Then my most recent job, I did a contract-to-hire arrangement, and had to do a drug test for the contracting company but not for the actual employer. My current employer has a policy that basically says if they're looking for a reason to fire you, they might drug test, but if you're not bringing it to work and it's not affecting your quality of work, they don't care. But then, we have some positions that have higher level clearances that require disclosure of past drug use, and in the case of some of our highest level clearance stuff (TS/SCI full scope)

A friend of mine got addicted to drugs pretty much as a direct result of a co-op program he was in. He met some other co-op students who introduced him to all sorts of entertaining substances, and he really liked a couple, and went on about an 8 month long stint of heavy use. Then he pretty much disassembled his whole social safety net, and left just a couple of close friends to catch him. It was bad times.

I guess what I'm saying is ...
drugs are bad, mmmk

Something else to be aware of is that for a lot of employers, unfair as it may be, simply asking about their drug testing policy at the interview raises enough red flags to assure them that they probably don't want to get involved with you. In several interviews I've sat in on, the hiring decision was pretty much made when the interviewee asked whether there's a drug testing policy. While a rare interviewer may appreciate your honesty in broaching the subject and give you points for it, most will hear the question as "I won't pass a drug test, is that a problem for you?" Generally, that's the kiss of death on a lot of professional jobs, even at places that don't have any testing policy.

In faster-moving places (with higher turnover, lower pay, etc) the drug testing is typically expected within 24-48 hours of the interview. With slower-paced places (like the last place I had a drug test for), the company notified me by USPS that I needed a drug test, and followed up a couple days after I got the notice with a phone call telling me who to call and where to go to get it, so there was a window of several days that I knew that they didn't know for sure that I knew -- which could be used to do some good work attempting to either get clean enough to pass or otherwise defeat the drug test, if such a thing were required.

Hair testing is relatively rare, and I think relatively more expensive. If the company's willing to spring for hair testing, you might ask yourself how serious you are about wanting to work with them -- especially for an internship. Internships are very rarely the serious business that "real" jobs are...

Animeniax
Sun, 11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
That's surprising that clearance jobs don't have more stringent drug policies, as a dependence on drugs can easily lead you to sell secret information or otherwise betray your trust in return for money for drugs. I'd be surprised if during the investigation process if they found you had a history of drug use/abuse issues, that that wouldn't preclude you from getting the clearance.

I need a security clearance. In the government world, it's worth more than a college degree.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-02-2009, 02:03 AM
So, to answer Ani's earlier question, medical marijuana's pretty limited in its scope, and as far as I can tell never prescribed for anxiety or other psychological conditions, nor is it generally recognized as a treatment for insomnia. One or both of those would probably be better treated by antidepressants, and there's some correlation between drug abuse and both conditions. Which came first is the question... but both have viable non-cannabinoid treatment options.

As far as California is concerned those are frequent reasons for prescribing. Can't speak for the situations in Colorado and Rhode Island, the only other states with marijuana dispensaries, but I know many people are unhappy with how apparently easy it is to get a medical marijuana card in CA. People often cite examples of anxiety, depression, headaches, and insomnia for prescription reasons. Cancer and AIDS, two conditions upon which more people are accepting of medicinal marijuana, are obviously far worse than those examples, but I believe it's not for another to say how negatively your conditions impact your life. I was on antidepressants for a little while but when I turned 18 I lost my health insurance and haven't seen a doctor since. It's not that I'm going to go through withdrawal if I don't smoke, because I can and have picked it up and put it down at will, but it does help me at the end of the day, especially since lately I've been having stress management issues. My anxiety however has been with me since before I started.

I'm really just tired of someone waving a fucking jar of piss in front of my face everytime I try to get a job. Like the rest of you I know there are exceptions, I certainly wouldn't want my pilot or doctor high on anything. But when it comes to my IT project analyst I could really care less, it's not like I'm going into a safety sensitive field.

complich8
Mon, 11-02-2009, 04:12 AM
That's surprising that clearance jobs don't have more stringent drug policies, as a dependence on drugs can easily lead you to sell secret information or otherwise betray your trust in return for money for drugs. I'd be surprised if during the investigation process if they found you had a history of drug use/abuse issues, that that wouldn't preclude you from getting the clearance.

I need a security clearance. In the government world, it's worth more than a college degree.

Don't be fooled. It's worth more, but you've gotta have the degree first. No paper and like 90% of the time you probably don't meet the minimum requirements for them to talk to you. If they aren't willing to hire you, they're definitely not gonna shell out the 15-20k it costs them to sponsor you :p.

Also, the higher the clearance level, the more invasive the process, the longer the time window, and the more frequently you have to get it renewed. Entry-level clearances (confidential, public trust) usually don't transfer from agency to agency, and are basically worthless except as a demonstration that you're probably "clearable" (makes you more hireable, but not hireable for more).

Secret and above generally transfer. Secret's generally worth a couple grand, but not that much (like, maybe 5k). TS/SCI with full scope poly is probably worth about 20-30k in the DC metro area or working for defense contractors on defense projects. You only realize that if you change jobs after you're cleared, and take your clearance with you. In the case of TS/SCI, if in the interim you take a non-cleared job, it's likely that your clearance will lapse before you job-hunt again (since TS has like a 5 year lifespan).

That, and a TS job that actually gives you that pay premium is going to probably involve a complicated bureaucracy, little freedom to create, and restrictions on your ability to travel out of the country. As a bonus, more often than not they're in SCIFs, which it just plain sucks to work at. Honestly, if you're a creative or dynamic person, the difference in pay is about on par with the difference in job satisfaction you're likely to experience. Not worth it, IMO.

Piece of advice: if you're entertaining clearance jobs any time in the future, keep documentation of everywhere you've lived for the last 10-15 years, including people who aren't related to you who can vouch that you lived there and didn't seem like a terrorist, and keep in touch with those people so that you're comfortable with using them as references when the SF-86 comes rolling your way. Probably the single worst part of that form, especially if the 7-15 years of background check window overlap with a college career that has you living at 3 or 4 different addresses per year (eg: home, a dorm, a summer residence).

As far as California is concerned those are frequent reasons for prescribing.
heh ... cali doctors. There is that...

I'm really just tired of someone waving a fucking jar of piss in front of my face everytime I try to get a job.
Even though I'm not a drug user at all, ever, I 100% agree with this statement. I find it personally insulting any time I have to put up with that.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Don't be fooled. It's worth more, but you've gotta have the degree first. No paper and like 90% of the time you probably don't meet the minimum requirements for them to talk to you. If they aren't willing to hire you, they're definitely not gonna shell out the 15-20k it costs them to sponsor you :p.

[Lots of good information.]

I've worked overseas for the government before and dealt with a lot of guys with security clearances. They were making $150k-300k/yr without a college degree. Of course, that's typically working for 70-80 hours a week in Dubai/Kuwait/Iraq/Afghanistan, but it was generally light duty work.

itadakimasu
Mon, 11-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I'd rather come up with a test to figure out if somebody is an idiot. If I were running a business, I would employ some sort of common sense quiz @ the interview to figure out how dumb said candidate was.

I'd only consider drug testing if drug use were noticable and keeping somebody from doing their job.... if a person were doing their job flawlessly, I'd see no need for drug testing.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I think it's been verified beyond doubt that drug use adversely affects your job performance, regardless of your job function, so drug testing makes sense. It's pretty cut and dry. I know I don't want to work with people who are stoned or inebriated. They're already suffering from base stupidity and laziness. No need to hamper them further.

Plus, drug use means they are more likely to steal or miss work because of legal problems.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I think it's been verified beyond doubt that drug use adversely affects your job performance, regardless of your job function, so drug testing makes sense. It's pretty cut and dry. I know I don't want to work with people who are stoned or inebriated. They're already suffering from base stupidity and laziness. No need to hamper them further.

Plus, drug use means they are more likely to steal or miss work because of legal problems.

Problem is, if someone tests negative for cocaine (crack or powder) or heroine or LSD/PCP/ecstacy it means they quit for 3 - 5 days TOPS. A lot of people do argue that a hard drug user can't quit for that long, and to them I would say, observe your prospective employee during their interview. If they are a frequent user and trying to detox quickly for a drug test you will be able to tell, I promise.

And then there are people like me who fake it with synthetic urine anyway. And by the off-chance your employment is contingent upon a supervised drug test (quite unlikely for employment), if you REALLY wanted the job, you can use your synthetic urine together with a prosthetic penis that stores it and lets it out via a small pump you squeeze. Looks just like you're urinating. Some people swear they can pass that way even if the supervisor were looking at it. I think a football player or someone got in trouble when their prosthetic jock was found in his luggage at the airport not a hell of a long time ago and the company got in trouble, but I think another company started making them. Anyway I've never gone to those lengths, it's mainly used by people on supervised probation.

Drug tests are extremely fallible and humiliating, there has to be some trust between you and your employer, especially if you have an impressive work history.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
And then there are people like me who fake it with synthetic urine anyway

I thought you couldn't make this sound weirder

.together with a prosthetic penis that stores it and lets it out via a small pump you squeeze. .

but you did.