PDA

View Full Version : Animated sigs

Archangel
Sat, 10-24-2009, 04:27 PM
It just came to my attention that the forum rules don't allow for animated sigs. Isn't this rule a bit generalist? This is the sig i wanted to use:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/paulosergio96/sig.gif

It's only 20 kb with 2 layers, and i can't see any problem with animated sigs other than huge file sizes.

Animeniax
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:08 PM
complich8 said before that he personally hates animated sigs/avatars and would never allow them. However, he rarely makes his presence known here, so maybe they can lift the restriction?

Kraco
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM
The restriction will be lifted over my dead body.

I like the forum calm and nice and easy to concentrate on the contents of the posts, with no fancy sigs and avatars stealing your attention whether you want it or not.

Archangel
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I think it's a little ridiculous to compare my sig to, lets say, something like this

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2671/flexdaninjadance.th.gif (http://img40.imageshack.us/i/flexdaninjadance.gif/)

It doesn't really need to be so black and white, we could just come up with some simple rules about number of layer, time of intermission and file size so some simple animations could still be used and the sig makers had a few more options in their hands

Yukimura
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I hate animated sigs/avatars because of the distraction they inevitably create drawing my attention when I'm trying to read. I have always appreciated that this forum doesn't allow them since reading is much easier when nothing changes once the page has loaded. There are plenty of other forums where you can show off whatever animated nonsense you can find or make and I'm sure many of them would be happy to let you display your new sig on them.

Sapphire
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I think animated sigs would be an interesting addition

RyougaZell
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't think it would slow down or distract anybody if there are certain reestrictions. Like Archie pointed out... the one he wanted to use only has 2 layers and is really small. Fast to load and not that distracting.

I do hate signatures that are over 1 megabyte or have hundreds of animations though.

Special reestrictions could be used to accept them and no harm done.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm firmly against it, for whatever weight my opinion may hold in the operation of this site.

They are always annoying, no matter how funny or cute they may be. Just remember that what you see one time can be wonderful, but after seeing it for 60 days straight, it becomes an eyesore.

Sapphire
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:02 PM
A members opinion shouldn't have any more weight than anyone elses, I say Arch makes a poll. :)

Also why does it suddenly say my sig is too large? >.>

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:12 PM
A members opinion shouldn't have any more weight than anyone elsesSince I realize how arrogant my post comes off after a second look, to clarify, I'm not a mod, not an admin, and therefore have no actual sway on how the site is run. Originally I wrote, "for what little my opinion may hold in the operation of this site," but opted for the above instead.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
While I dearly like Archie's new sig and don't think of it as being a problem, I have also experienced the annoyance where Haruhi is twirling her finger at you repeatedly at 200x200 resolution while you're trying to read.

Then again, my liking for Archie's sig doesn't rely on the animation. I would enjoy it as much if any one of those layers was used as a static sig.

Out of interest Archie, what sort of restrictions would you propose?

Archangel
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Nothing too major

- A limit to the number of layers, i would say 4 or 5

- The time between each could be set as a minimum of 3 seconds, that would make twirls or seizure sigs an impossibility

- A max file size of 200 kb as not to make loading time unbearable

These are just values out of the top of my head, if comp agreed to this i could come up with something more complete

Sapphire
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
It's not like this is a twilight forum or anything, I think anything a GW member would use would be nice.

Archangel
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Indeed.

People always tent to think of every awful possible scenario when a suggestion is made but gotwoot is quite the small community these days with but a few truly active members.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM
When Gotwoot forums started there were animated avatars and signatures. Most of them were alright, but a few were distracting. I think if you give some users the opportunity to be obnoxious with their signatures, they'll abuse that opportunity. We're better off without animated signatures.

Just my two cents.

Animeniax
Sat, 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM
I hate animated sigs/avatars because of the distraction they inevitably create drawing my attention when I'm trying to read. I have always appreciated that this forum doesn't allow them since reading is much easier when nothing changes once the page has loaded. There are plenty of other forums where you can show off whatever animated nonsense you can find or make and I'm sure many of them would be happy to let you display your new sig on them.
I would love to see an animated version of your sig...

Firefox on my PC doesn't even run gifs on forums. Or is that a forum setting?

Archangel
Sun, 10-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Well i talked to comp and he's not willing to change the rules seeing it as a "slippery slope" but he was cool enough to allow me to keep it for being "harmless enough".

Again, this is one of the advantages of having a small community here in the forums

bagandscalpel
Tue, 10-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Personally, I can't wait to see each and every board, thread, and post littered with colorful, seizure-inducing .gifs that rape the eyes and violate the mind.

It will be glorious.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Personally, I can't wait to see each and every board, thread, and post littered with colorful, seizure-inducing .gifs that rape the eyes and violate the mind.

It will be glorious.

you'd like that, since you have colorful, seizure-inducing .jpeg that rape the eyes and violate the mind.

Yukimura
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I finally noticed Arkangel's 'sanctioned' animated sig as it distracted me while I was trying to read another post. Arkangel's case seems to set the precedent that animated sigs are okay as long as they are reviewed and approved by comp. Why not just update the rule to say that instead of pretending the rule isn't invalidated by the existence of an admin approval loophole?

Archangel
Wed, 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Animated sig removed, no more bitching necessary

oyabun
Tue, 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Lol. It was never really an issue. You only had 2 or 3(?) frames for it anyway. I wonder why Yukimura bitched about it.

Lucifus
Thu, 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
.....Saved a copy of your last.

Archangel
Thu, 11-26-2009, 10:13 PM
So this is what it takes for Lucifus to post...