PDA

View Full Version : Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7177/32520.jpg

Genres: action, fantasy

Themes: mecha, moe, steampunk

Plot Summary: Gauche is a governmental employee, given the task to deliver any letter to it's destination. Meeting a young boy who is the letter to be delivered, Gauche makes friends with Lag and inspires him to take up the job. Five years later, Lag Seeing finally becomes his dream, that of a Letter Bee. However, the one who inspired him has gone missing and only there does the mystery start. -ANN

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10831), AnimeNFO (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4491,hghweu,tegamibachi.html), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6772), Official site (http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/tegamibachi/)

DVD Special: [SFW] Letter Bee - Light and Blue Night Fantasy [DVD][E9D62451].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=87348)

Episode 1:
[Moggert]_Letter_Bee_01_[720p]_[H264-AAC].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=88939)
[HorribleSubs] Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee - 01 [720p].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=88839)

Death13a
Mon, 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
However, the one who inspired him has gone missing and only there does the mystery start.

That's not only mystery. Letter Bee is set in very original fictional world with very unique characters.

If you are not already fan of manga then wait till couple more episodes are out as series are slow and steady build up a solid story.

Sapphire
Mon, 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Very original world with very unique characters huh? Make me think of Kekkaishi. I miss Kekkaishiiiii~! :(

I downloaded it. Will watch soon!

I finished ep one and i definitely like it. Will keep watching

Pandadice
Fri, 10-09-2009, 12:30 AM
i gave it a shot, and i didn't like it. i just couldn't get into it. there was nothing in it that made me interested at all.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
i have some very mixed feelings on this first episode. i thought the setting and premise were really interesting, but i can't say that i really like either Lag or his Dingo. I'm also not quite sold on some of the very silly names/terms.

i absolutely loved what they did with Darwin. sometimes you see attempts to give a silent character a personality, and it just fails. the scene with the "dog tag's memories" (as retarded as the concept of that was, the execution was well done) up until the end was really enjoyable, saving this first episode for me.

there is certainly something likable about Lag (his female counterpart, on the other hand, is an absolute dime a dozen "strong yet dedicated, cute female assistant" write-off), but he does annoy me quite a bit. think it could be his voice. thought the CG animation for the machine bugs was simply terrible, as was the exposition dialogue (and flashback).

i think i'll see what the second episode has to offer.

Archangel
Thu, 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Plot Summary: Gauche is a governmental employee, given the task to deliver any letter to it's destination. Meeting a young boy who is the letter to be delivered, Gauche makes friends with Lag and inspires him to take up the job. Five years later, Lag Seeing finally becomes his dream, that of a Letter Bee. However, the one who inspired him has gone missing and only there does the mystery start. -ANN

... HunterxHunter?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-18-2009, 07:15 AM
2 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=90090) and 3 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91341) are out.

A fantastically cute (vampire?) loli Dingo without pantsu (until Lag had to be a panty party pooper)... This show may have taken the niche of my favorite show for the season.

Sapphire
Mon, 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
A child tsundere is almost more than I can bare, but this shows delightful originalness and creepy interestingness more than makes up for it.

Why do I think Niche is being sold into child prostitution?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Two words:

INSTANT
WIN

Cute characters + interesting setting + emotional scenes + steampunk?

The nature of Letter Bee means we get to explore a variety of characters, their environment, and the whole issue of how much weight each letter carries.

Why do I think Niche is being sold into child prostitution?

Looked like a circus to me, while the flier said "freak show".

My description at the top might have let off a bit too much, but the way it sounds as if Gauche vanished from digging into Lag's mother's issue too much hints at a shady government, if that feeling hasn't already been established. They might even by cutting off his letters too.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Definitely a freak show.

I wonder if Niche is actually a vampire? She can also be a cat girl though.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I wonder if Niche is actually a vampire? She can also be a cat girl though.I don't think vampire, but maybe something more like a demon. Her eye color combined with the pupil shape comes off more like that to me.

I'm glad I picked this series up late, because otherwise I don't know if I would have stuck with it. Marathoning the three episodes sold me on it.

Archangel
Wed, 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Is there any particularly good group doing this? Anidb isn't being very helpful

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm glad I picked this series up late, because otherwise I don't know if I would have stuck with it. Marathoning the three episodes sold me on it.

Did you watch the DVD special first? It helps too, because it gives a fair enough introduction into what the series is about, shows you what's to come, and gives you confidence that the slower introduction will get to the loli build up to something good.

The best thing about this show is how powerfully it brings out emotions, followed closely by the art.

Is there any particularly good group doing this? Anidb isn't being very helpful

HorribleSubs are getting me by. I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as gg was in the latest Kobato ep.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Did you watch the DVD special first? It helps too, because it gives a fair enough introduction into what the series is about, shows you what's to come, and gives you confidence that the slower introduction will get to the loli build up to something good.

Fixed.

Are there heavy (plot) spoilers in the DVD special? If it is material that will eventually be covered in the anime, I may opt not to see it to keep the mysterious feeling of the show.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Fixed.

Are there heavy (plot) spoilers in the DVD special? If it is material that will eventually be covered in the anime, I may opt not to see it to keep the mysterious feeling of the show.

There's nothing plot-heavy about it. Lag and Niche go on a mission to deliver a letter to a past employee. You find out what Letter Bees are (like in the aired episodes), and that Lag has a special eye. Nothing noteworthy otherwise, besides tugging at your heartstrings a bit.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Cool. I will download it as soon as I get back.

Kraco
Fri, 10-23-2009, 04:41 PM
The DVD special was very nice in my opinion, a lot better than I expected having already watched the three first normal episodes. I guess the spoiler in it is how ridiculous deus ex machina powers Niche possesses.

I think I'll keep watching this one. It has some annoying aspects like Lag's overflowing friendliness but I suppose it belongs to the core elements of the story. The world is refreshingly different at least.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 4 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=92673)

Sapphire
Sat, 10-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow it seems like these are coming out really fast *downloads

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2009, 12:31 AM
In the face of strong episodes this week such as Railgun and Nyan Koi, I still enjoyed Letter Bee the best this week.

Everything was predictable, except her being a dragon maybe, but I didn't stop it being a powerful episode

The only real issue here is now Lag's beam was so much of a shounen-esque powerup, but since the entire show is about Heart, I guess it can't be helped..

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Well, the Lag beam was shown a few episodes before, and that is practically the same move that his idol Gauche uses. It is not really unexpected, or even a power up at all, since he already had it years before.

Hmm... I find the animation in this episode a bit lacking, but that is probably because I watched the OAV right before it. The half naked Niche was actually a lot less cute than the fully robed one. I think is is because of the way they drew her body almost squarish.

So for now, Nopan Niche > Boxers Niche > Half Naked Niche

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-25-2009, 05:22 AM
So Niche really is like a demon (or dragon more appropriately) in human form. Interesting.

I had thought Lag could see the memories of other Shindan bullets because of the amber in his eye. Is it the case that anyone can see them, or is Niche special on that front as well? She saw a quick summary of most of who Lag cares about, notably which included herself.

I don't see it as a shonen power up ability. He's really weak otherwise, which is why he needs such a powerful dingo. It's basically the only thing Lag can do. He can't even defend himself against normal snakes, but he's the only one who can completely defeat a gaichu.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2009, 06:54 AM
I had thought Lag could see the memories of other Shindan bullets because of the amber in his eye. Is it the case that anyone can see them, or is Niche special on that front as well? She saw a quick summary of most of who Lag cares about, notably which included herself.

I think the way the Shidan gun works is you shoot a fragment of you heart at the beast, which then resonates with their own heart and explode. The snowflakes are probably even more fragmented remains of Heart, so people who come in contact with it will see whatever memories the shooter used in the attack.

Lag saw Gausche's
Gausche saw Lag's
Niche saw Lag's.

It's not exclusive to Lag's eye.

I don't see it as a shonen power up ability. He's really weak otherwise, which is why he needs such a powerful dingo. It's basically the only thing Lag can do. He can't even defend himself against normal snakes, but he's the only one who can completely defeat a gaichu.

Lag's beam wasn't really the powerup I was talking about, since he shot it before. I was referring to the fact that he couldn't initially release his power with a normal gun, but now he can because he got more emotional.

The very first time he shot with Gausche's gun was when he was out of control, and his stone resonated with that of the gun. In the DVD special, he wields a Shindan gun without a loaded stone, but was still able to shoot, indicating that the conventional stone doesn't need to be there. In both cases however, it was a Shindan gun.

I thought Shindan guns were made differently, and there was some sort of energy transfer mechanism between the barrel and the stone for it to work, rather than a normal gun with a hole cut out simply to house the stone.

Based on all that, plus the fact that it failed to shoot initially, I thought it was physically impossible to shoot a Heart beam. The way a change of Heart could reverse this (assumed) physical impossibility lead to my previous response. I did, however, expect a Shindan beam to kill the bug one way or another.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-25-2009, 07:19 AM
I think the way the Shidan gun works is you shoot a fragment of you heart at the beast, which then resonates with their own heart and explode. The snowflakes are probably even more fragmented remains of Heart, so people who come in contact with it will see whatever memories the shooter used in the attack.

Lag saw Gausche's
Gausche saw Lag's
Niche saw Lag's.

It's not exclusive to Lag's eye.
I don't think your reasoning is wrong, but why was Gauche so surprised that Lag saw all of his memories in the prologue then?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't think your reasoning is wrong, but why was Gauche so surprised that Lag saw all of his memories in the prologue then?

Is that the DVD?

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-25-2009, 07:41 AM
No, the initial two episodes of the series.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-25-2009, 07:56 AM

edit: If you're talking about the latter part of Episode 1, Lag saw Gausche's memories because Gausche used his own Heart to heal Lag's depleted one when he accidentally loaded it ans shot a massive amount.

@ Episode 2, 1:40, Gausche wasn't surprised at all to see Lag knowing some of his past as a side effect of healing.

I haven't seen any other instance where Lag saw Gausche's memories.

In Episode 2 against the Buckers Gaichuu, they saw each other's memories. That can be explained in that they both loaded the shot. Gausche said "Shindan loaded", while Lag was steadying the gun. Then they got separated, Lag's eye resonated and shot the Gaichuu. If Gausche's fragment was loaded already into the gun, then it would explain why both memories were shot.

As for the "surprise", in episode 1 Gausche was scratched by the shot. The look on his face could be attributed to the shock of getting hit, plus the general awe at seeing something spectacular. He was pretty composed after that. He wasn't going "wtf was that??" at least.

In episode 2, he was surprised at Lag's eye, and that Lag's heart resonated with his own while he loaded his own Shindan for the second time, as per his comment after the battle: "You even resonated with my heart."

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=96255)

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-01-2009, 07:20 AM
just watched episode 2. and again, while i did enjoy the episode, i certainly didnt love it.

it's good, but the cgi, the somewhat flat feel to the characters, and the less than stellar animation delivery just add up to a 'meh' when it comes time to ask myself i i want to watch the next episode of this. i liked younger Lag better than current Lag, and Gauche was a fairly interesting character, but the rapid rate he changed his stance on his relationship with Lag felt uninentionally comically overly wholesome.

i like the setting, and the weird audio tracks are nice, but i just can not get into this series after these first two episodes.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Stuttering, asking Steak to cook nicely, Steak cooking itself nicely.....

Episode 5 was easily the funniest episode to date, all thanks to Niche.

From the preview, I guess you really can channel Heart into anything you want pretty much, at least in Lag's case. The OP shows a girl playing a violin with a shining (stone-embedded?) scroll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin#Construction_and_mechanics), which supports the idea that there can indeed be a variety of weapons.

Gauche was a fairly interesting character, but the rapid rate he changed his stance on his relationship with Lag felt uninentionally comically overly wholesome.

I thought his change came about so rapidly because they've been affected by each other's heart fragments. Further, both characters could emotionally relate. Lag was someone who was left behind, while Gausche was someone who left a relative behind to become a letter bee. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they saw a bit of that "someone" in each other during their travel.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=97476)

---------------

I didn't like this episode as much, mainly because it all this happened due to Nelli's (stupid) misunderstanding. If she's been working her ass off as I suspect, then maybe it leaves room for her error in misinterpreting her brother's actions.

Meanwhile, the explanation for Shindan firing was almost exactly as we suspected, with the gun being there for housing an Amber (for those who have none), and giving your Heart a shape. Different Shindan abilities should be interesting, and also explains how it worked out in the DVD special.

One thing I did like about the episode was when Nelli thanked Lag for delivering the letter. In the end, it was she, not Jiggy, who really needed to know what Nello though.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
HorribleSubs - episode 07 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=98428)

Kraco
Sun, 11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
I didn't like this episode as much, mainly because it all this happened due to Nelli's (stupid) misunderstanding. If she's been working her ass off as I suspect, then maybe it leaves room for her error in misinterpreting her brother's actions.

While the conclusion was nice, it wasn't far away that I'd have dropped the episode. I seem to have poor tolerance to forceful do-gooders who insist on fixing something against the opinions of those who really are affected by whatever the naive person is trying to fix, especially if getting so distracted might hurt the do-gooder's own aims in life. And damn he's a crybaby as well. You'd expect Nelli to cry during all this but Lag was bloody crying more than her. What an insufferable kid. Without Dingo Niche this show would be too annoying to watch.

(I only watch KSN's subs so I haven't yet seen that ep 7.)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-16-2009, 03:20 AM
Episode 07 comments:

-------------------------------------

That was an awesome episode filled with pretty much everything I like about Letter Bee. Niche getting embarrassed was cute, but still visually weird with those eyes and all. Still, when she hurries to put on some pants like that, you can't help but smile.

That Gaichuu fight may well be my favourite to date. For starters, the centipede was actually visually menacing. The CG actually made that black, shiny armour better than a 2D counterpart may have. The combo-finish wasn't well-rehearsed or anything, but that made it all the better. It brings out how well Lag and his dingo back each other up, in contrast to some other wanna-bees.

I had really underestimated the time skip since Gausche first met Lag, so I never expect Aria to look so different. Still hot in a more mature way.

They've certainly got me hooked on the entire Gausche mystery. Zazie (who is surprisingly a nice character) made it sound like Gausche isn't actually dead, while Aria commented on Gausche and Lag sharing the same hair and eye colour.

Hair colour...as in silver hair? (http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Letter%20Bee/Letter%20Bee%20-%2007%20-%20Large%2004.jpg)

Add that to the fact that Largo revealed Signal (and perhaps all other gatekeepers) had an "old" name...... it's not unreasonable to join the dots and postulate on what has become of Gausche.

Perhaps only these Albisians have the ability to become psychic guardians with their sight as the price (voluntarily or not). It's already been suggested that kidnapping is nothing new to these shady people of Akatsuki.

Kraco
Sat, 11-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Finally watched episode 7 (KSN release) and it was indeed a good episode. They even managed to make the other candidate not look like a complete asshole right from the start even if he just had to turn out to be one by the end of the episode. He certainly showed some guts, though, to copy the letter and then sneak past Lag while he was still fighting. Too bad it was all the wrong kind of guts.

Considering Niche's looks and eyes, I don't think there were any problems as long as you remembered she's still a monster of a sort. She's not going to look exactly like a little girl ever.

Gausche's fate was foreshadowed by various hints for so long that it's not altogether surprising it didn't apparently end well for him. Only the fact Lag is so dense and opinionated spared him from realising it earlier from the behavior of the people around him. Let's hope it won't turn him emo even for a moment, though.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=99577)

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow, Lag is one of the biggest crybabies I've seen in a long time, if not ever. At least everyone acknowledges it, including Lag himself despite being a little bit embarrassed. I do wonder who is taking Gauche's disappearance harder, Sylvette or Aria?

Sylvette's suprise attack on Niche was funny, but it also led to a finishing blow when Niche realized how filled out Sylvette is (especially for her age!).

All in all, another good episode, and the cliffhanger was in the middle of the episode for once!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Dang!

Looks like I underestimated the effect time has on Sylvette too. I can't tell whether I'm happy or disappointed that she's not a loli anymore. :S

That was really sweet of Niche. I smiled big time :o

I actually laughed a bit at Lag's crying this episode, mainly at his jumped conclusion that Gausche came home (which was obviously not the case). I also found it a bit hard to get into it emotionally this episode because I was distracted with figuring out what could have happened to Gausche. Where exactly was he? Right now it seems equally likely that he lost is heart from overusing his gun during his deliveries or that he got kidnapped from digging too far into Lag's mother's case.

I managed to get into the mood after Niche's little speech though, which helped get my mind off that and sympathise with Sylvette's situation.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 11-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Episode 7 caught me off guard since the manga indicated that Zazie was a girl and the voice didn't match at all. It turn out that it was some random decision by the scanlator to refer to him as such.

I know that lag is suppose to be a crybaby but that scene was still a bit hard to watch, so i hope they don't over do that aspect in the future.

animus
Mon, 11-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Wait, so I can't really tell due to the inconsistent art. Is Sylvette older or supposed to be the same age as Lag? In some shots she clearly looks older, and in others her length in the wheelchair and looks make her look like 13.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
From her bust, I'm guessing she's a few years older. She looked like little Lag's age in the flashback when Gausche left her, but since that was a flashback, there's no telling how long ago it was.

Lag looks like like a 9-year old to me.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-29-2009, 08:24 AM
It goes without being said, but, more crying:

[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee - 09 [720p] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=100883)

-----------------------------------

I think I need to put this in bold because not only did they say it, but they said it twice. I'm not sure if I can believe it.

Lag and Sylvette are the same age.

Eh? She looks at least 5 years older than he is. She's also nearly as tall as he is when she is sitting down!

Incredulity aside, Gauche traded the Nocturne in for a revolver that would shoot his entire heart out and exhaust it if he got complacent with it. Which it sounds like is exactly what happened, perhaps as a result of those cloaked hooded figures lurking about. I'm glad they're starting to bring the conspiracy back in, like with Lag's mother as well.

animus
Sun, 11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
That's a huge fib. Sylvette looks way too old to be the same age, not to mention the voice.

And Lag is supposed to be 12, considering he was 7 when he met Gauche and this is 5 years later. Sylvette must've have cow genes for a 12 year old to be that well developed.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2746/grab19516.jpg

Call me a lolicon if you want, the cuteness is OVER 9000!

I'm going to pretend Syllvete's sitting around has meant more efficient fat-depositing in the appropriate places. I don't think Lag looks like a 12 year old to begin with (maybe because he's rather roundish). Then again, I see some pretty short 13 year olds from my old highschool walking around the place.

I think I've become somewhat desensitized to Lag's crying and all now. Like last episode, I began to chuckle when Lag started crying during those clips. His last speech hit the right spot though, and I think the music has something to do with that.

Niche, you're cute too, but I am so rooting for a Lag x Syllvete romance. Realistically speaking, I don't see them taking things very far regarding romantic development between Lag and anyone, but one can dream right? She's definitely capable of acting like a motherly figure for Lag in Yussari, so having her make some appearances isn't too much to ask I hope.

I want to hear more from Aria though, since her feelings for Gauche haven't been disclosed much. Even when she was asked to deliver his letter of dismissal she seemed superficially strong/cheerful.

Gauche has a funny habit of calling everyone by calling everyone's name in full bar his sister's.

oyabun
Tue, 12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok Ive seen too much crying for Lag. Every episode he cries. It is time for him to grow up now and stop being such a crybaby. Niche's presence is not enough for me now.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-05-2009, 08:13 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=102076)

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I must admit, I'm not satisfied anymore until Lag starts blubbering. Whenever he cries I can't help laughing.

When Lag combines the power of his eye with a weapon like the Nocture, he has incredible power that surpasses most other Bees. It is interesting that the weakest of all Bees has both one of the strongest weapons and undoubtedly the strongest Dingo. Lag is a glass cannon of the highest order. It's only fitting he has Niche then, probably one of the few people/creatures out there that can successfully defend him.

There were two other big hints this episode:

- Lag and Sylvette are born on the same day, which one of the two led to the sun going out? We might think it was Lag from the timing of the comment, but at the same time, the sun going out was perfectly in time with Sylvette's birth. They also mentioned before that both Lag and the two Suede siblings are "albasians" (sp?) for whatever that means. Obviously there must be some significance to that.

- Right at the beginning, Lag commented on the appearance of the Empress. He specifically mentioned that his mother looks similar for some reason to him. His mother was taken away to the capital by high government officials, and any word of her or from her has been suppressed. Was she perhaps taken away to become the current Empress?

I have to say, Gauche's behavior on the Flickering Day was actually really creepy. Makes me think quite differently of him in fact.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I must admit, I'm not satisfied anymore until Lag starts blubbering. Whenever he cries I can't help laughing.

Oh, you too? I was beginning to wonder if I'm becoming twisted in the head since I laugh at a crying kid. Guess not. (or at least, not the only one)

There were two other big hints this episode:

- Lag and Sylvette are born on the same day, which one of the two led to the sun going out? We might think it was Lag from the timing of the comment, but at the same time, the sun going out was perfectly in time with Sylvette's birth. They also mentioned before that both Lag and the two Suede siblings are "albasians" (sp?) for whatever that means. Obviously there must be some significance to that.

According to Aria, even Gauche was an Albasian also, but there only seems to be one Day of Flickering.

I have to say, Gauche's behavior on the Flickering Day was actually really creepy. Makes me think quite differently of him in fact.

It made me wonder how broken he was to begin with (begin = before he lost his heart completely). The creepiest part for me was his naming his sister after his mother. The shot of the covered corpse amplified that creepiness.

They HAD to ruin Sylvette's perfect image by making her a crap cook. (on second thoughts, her skills aren't to blame. Immobile legs must have been only ONE of her birth defects.) The question that left me hanging was How on earth does she climb those stairs?

So they revealed that Aria was not only Gauche's date, but also his childhood friend. That puts things in an entirely different perspective. She didn't just lose a lover she had known for a few years (max), then but someone that was pretty much a family member. Her pain should be no less than Sylvette's. She seems a bit more level-headed than Sylvette though, and it shows in how she addresses all this by trying to uncover the truth. I wonder if deep down she's aiming for Head Bee too in order to access higher info.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-06-2009, 05:21 AM
According to Aria, even Gauche was an Albasian also, but there only seems to be one Day of Flickering.
(Clarification Post)

The significance of the three of them being Albasian is less important, but that certainly means something to a select few in the grand scheme of things.

I was more interested in the implication of who caused the sun to flicker. The timing of Lag's comment might have meant that he was the cause (and Aria might have taken it that way), but that doesn't mean that it wasn't Sylvette either, since she was born during the same moments as well.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-06-2009, 08:19 AM
i have gone back and forth on this show for some time, but after watching three episodes today (7, 8, 9), i think i finally have some coherent thoughts.

this is one of those rare shows that doesn't have suave or flair. it runs on emotions, remarkably normal ones you can relate to. despite the fact that i am not in love with the garden variety character archetypes that compose this story, i enjoy watching it. i have not been able to figure out what it is, but i think it has something to do with the fact that all the characters are so sincere. even if Lag is an annoying crybaby, he's never being a crybaby to be annoying.

edit - and i cannot stress this last point enough. i think the opposite would be Sasuke from Naruto, the cold loner who the author makes cold because, otherwise, there is no real way to qualify him as a loner. the characteristics need to be products of the character, not the other way around. time and time again i see anime characters fall flat because the creator seems to have forgotten this, or just doesn't know how to put it into play.

i find myself liking even the side characters. maybe i always have been a sucker for the Cold Badass with a decent heart (Zazi). maybe there's something that just can't disagree with a guy who loves his pizza. Even the Director, Aria, and Sylvette.

the music in this show goes a long way, and i particularly like that they don't overdo it. there are plenty of moments of relative silence, and it fits the setting.

the one thing i constantly find ridiculous about this show are the names. it's like a painter who has all the creativity and talent to craft beautiful portraits, but can't for the life of him, figure out what to call them. seriously, these names are absurd.

no 12 year old has any business looking as fully developed as Sylvette does, especially not a cripple behind on her rent payments.

the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that. i understand she has to be there to counter Lag's heartfelt depth (or this would just turn into an angst-fest), but i find her extremely annoying none the less. i don't mind her sexually charged thing about licking. i can even stomach the pantsu gags/theme. but the "Lag's Dingo" thing makes me furious every time they return to it, which is at least twice an episode, it seems...

i have not watched episode 10 yet, as there is just something in me that will not allow me to download anything from a group that calls itself Horrible... do they actually live up to that name?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-06-2009, 08:23 AM
the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that. i understand she has to be there to counter Lag's heartfelt depth (or this would just turn into an angst-fest), but i find her extremely annoying none the less. i don't mind her sexually charged thing about licking. i can even stomach the pantsu gags/theme. but the "Lag's Dingo" thing makes me furious every time they return to it, which is at least twice an episode, it seems...

Then rejoice masa. "Lag's Dingo" does not make an appearance in episode 10

i have not watched episode 10 yet, as there is just something in me that will not allow me to download anything from a group that calls itself Horrible... do they actually live up to that name?

All [Horriblesubs] are rips from Crunchyroll. They don't do any actual translating, hence "horrible" is referring to said website's work.

@Ryll: Thanks for the clarification.

Marik
Sat, 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
[Nipponsei] Letter Bee OP Single - Hajimari no Hi [Suga Shikao feat. Mummy-D].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Letter%20Bee%20OP%20Single%20-%20Hajimari%20no%20Hi%20%5BSuga%20Shikao%20feat.%2 0Mummy-D%5D.zip.torrent)

I really like this song. It's quite catchy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=103571)

---------------------------------

I can't say no to fanservice, especially openly complaining about details like this. (How's your nosebleed holding up shinta?)

Moc's a bit of an ass, but he's got some slick moves, so I'd still like to see more of him. Hopefully we'll continue to see a greater variety of Bees, how they work, and how their beliefs stack up to and change Lag's. If anything however, it'll likely be the opposite.

Now if only we got to see Syllvette wearing her own apparel. Alas, she is no Kiyama Harumi.

Kraco
Sun, 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
the one character i do not like in this show is Niche, with her constant refrain of "Lag's Dingo" this and that.

It helps a bit to tolerate Niche if you keep in mind she's a monster, not a person. At least it helps me.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Her rather indelicately forcing Steak's mouth open and fishing around inside with blades for whatever she tossed in there certainly helps with viewing her a something not human.

If you keep reminding yourself that her arms underneath those pink mitten-sleeves are spiky and furry helps too. A really bad case of Kanbaru Arms.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM
It is a Christmas episode, tears are guaranteed. Also, children with insect eyes.

[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee - 12 [720p] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=104885)

This episode was pretty funny given that the past episodes have been focusing on more sad events. Sonja was really cute despite her creepy eyes, and Zazie was really the star of this episode. Between his complaining and his secret displays of being nice he makes for an interesting character. That and his shindan are formed of pure hatred. I imagine it would actually be a good thing in the long run for him to empty his heart of that, but it is more likely that he has an endless supply given the flashback they showed about his own parents.

Also, Aria in uniform is the hottest. And like Sylvette, she also knows how to deal with Niche.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
It was cute seeing Niche comforting Wasiolka back.

Lag completely cracked me up again, this time, and this time my reaction was right on cue at the first sight of his tears. This is turning into a recurrent comedy gag.

Sonja was really cute despite her creepy eyes

Creepy eyes indeed. When the villager warned Zazie to stay away from her, his refusal to eat the dinner made me think she may be some cannibalistic maniac who drugs them and does whatever her mind fancies. But in the end my initial impressions were right, and the villagers were just ignorant assholes.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-27-2009, 03:39 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 13 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=105826)

----------------------

Guess Letter Bees have yet to adopt (or enforce) a formal privacy statement, with Lag blurting out his job status and recipient information on the fly. I suppose it's probably more his newbie and simple mindset as I can't really see it applying to all bees. (Well, maybe Connor)

I can't be sure whether Lag's "I'm a newbie" confession was more to restrict his own actions and salvage some professionalism, or whether he noticed that in 2 seconds Niche might have well torn up the envelope in curiosity.

Funnily enough, he acted correctly when the sender fellow requested his letter back. Though, after his "Robbery?!" comment, I couldn't help but laugh when he later points a gun at him and says "Come with me".

The couple got enough development to make their reunion feel sweet.

This Corpse Doctor looks really interesting though. Steak shows some pitiable expressions in the preview, and that's always a good sign.

One thing I'd like to see in this series perhaps may be a rival of sorts. Gauche is always Lag's target, but perhaps he needs something more immediate to challenge himself with as a Letter Bee. Moc did that somewhat, but his snake is hardly a match for Niche.

Kraco
Fri, 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Lag completely cracked me up again, this time, and this time my reaction was right on cue at the first sight of his tears. This is turning into a recurrent comedy gag.

They indeed do it excellently. I start to laugh every time he starts to cry. In complete seriousness it takes no small skill from the author and director to be able to pull that off. Normally the main character crying in every episode for every little thing would be beyond annoying but for some mysterious reason it's pure comedy in this series.

Considering Niche I'm happy she's that much nonhuman. She doesn't have similar troubles with morals and ethics or manners and chastity. She's a much more successful character than many far more beast looking but talking things in great many other shows.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-10-2010, 07:00 AM
[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee 14 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=108074)

----------------------------

This was one of the best episodes of the show so far, even considering how good some of the others have been.

New OP/ED, both good, but I liked the first two a bit more.

One of the funnier episodes in a while. Niche getting angry not because he kidnapped their companion, but because he was stealing her food. Steak potentially being a prince among his kind, finally explaining the mustache on his face. Steak started to sweat a bit when the doctor said that, so it is probably true.

Aria is totally hot. I never noticed the strings around her one ankle before. Everything about her oozes class and sexiness. I am a bit curious now about how she fought off gaichu when she was a Bee and not the sub-master. Did she play it and drive them off calmly?

...and I didn't forget, Lag cried right at the end. ^_^

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-11-2010, 05:24 AM
New OP/ED, both good, but I liked the first two a bit more.

OP2 doesn't sound very special, but I really dig the animation sequence. In particular, the liberal use of soft lighting completely fills my desire for some Amberground atmosphere. The whole coming home thing was cool with me.

ED2 had a nice rhythm to it. It doesn't take of like Himeka's song did, but it was still catchy enough that it didn't sound bad in comparison.

One of the funnier episodes in a while. Niche getting angry not because he kidnapped their companion, but because he was stealing her food. Steak potentially being a prince among his kind, finally explaining the mustache on his face. Steak started to sweat a bit when the doctor said that, so it is probably true.

Nice one there Ryll. I didn't notice the significance of the mustache at all. I think I forgot about it at some point.

...and I didn't forget, Lag cried right at the end. ^_^

I didn't see his wet eyes right at the end as crying, but his tears during Aria's song put 1-sided smile on my face, only because they managed to fit in his obligatory crying "appropriately" once again.

You may wonder at how Aria fends of Gaichuu (the theory is that Gaichuu resonate and die from contact with ANY Shindan, so I guess Aria just plays in front of them and they die), but I wonder at how Connor wards them off. His dingo doesn't even want to walk.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I always figured that Connor and his pooch were just so utterly non-threatening that gaichu never bother to attack them.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Horrible Subs - Episode 15 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=109241)

--------------------------
What's this? The episode didn't contain Lag revealing a heartwarming truth that made him cry and everybody else happy? Lies! [insert Niche Rage here]

I was wondering how they'd resolve the erobing thing, and it felt very fitting that lying over-rode it, considering that's what made her angry in the first place.

But you know all is well when you see Niche hanging off Lag's arm again by the end of an episode.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=110411)

-----------------------------

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9048/grab25646.jpg

WAS it a lie?

- Even though things seemed to have settled back into the usual problem->Shindan->Good End formula, there really wasn't a cleancut bad guy this time. It shows that despite the potent truth serum that Lag's shindan bullet is, in the end it really is just memories. More correctly, the memories of one item or person, so it doesn't necessarily conveys the whole picture.

The piano piece at the end enhanced the slightly sad mood rather well, contrasting this episode with the one-before-last, which also featured a proposal.

Next episode proves to be interesting, since "overlapping with the DVD Special" would be an understatement.

edit: oh, and of course, great fanservice episode. Sylvette's taste for broth may be off, but her taste for lingerie is quite agreeable.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5258/grab18712.jpg

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Letter Bee ED Single - Hatenaki Michi

MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/?0jtmz1q5nlj) | MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9VIPROP)

masamuneehs
Sun, 01-31-2010, 10:14 AM
good god. i just watched one of my first HorribleSubs episodes...

Crunchyroll translated "aria" as "air". for fucking serious? that's not even a goddamn japanese word...

christ.

new types of Shindans (interesting). more types of "heartwarming stories" (boring). all i know about this show is that the setting is great, and the characters are beginning to grow on me. I can even stand Lag and Niche. I can even accept that Zazie is just another "he's a badass but, look, he's got a sweet spot for CUTE THING" knockoff

i actually really like both the new OP and ED, particularly the distorted neon light look they have going. both songs are good, fit the show very well.

episodic:
Xmas Episode - boring. completely lame setup with the townsfolk isolating the girl because her parents were killed.
Flower Field - yawn fest. at least it's good to have an episode where we get so much of the bad guy.
Corpse Doctor - surprisingly funny, and I actually like the Corpse Doctor as a character because he can be both impossibly comedic and serious within a blink of the eye.
Elopement - best episode in this series so far. people with the resolve to put it all on the line, no happy endings (how could there be?), and the main character's good nature being used against him. Classic premise. Also, I have a permanent hard-on for anything Wild West.
Fan Letter - i am a sap for stories like this, with the burly, rough around the edges guy not having the guts to declare his love. "love overlooked" almost always works for me. even the bastard got to redeem himself.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I wonder if we will ever get to see anything of the main plot before this show ends. While I do enjoy practically each episode, I do want the plot to advance enough for there to be a chance of a second season. I really doubt anything can be resolved in the remaining time they have, so the least they should do is clarify things a little.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=112138)

------------------

Production-wise, I think the DVD special was a bit better, but this ep almost hit that same emotional spot regardless. I'm pretty sure Lloyd getting the replacement pendant was omitted in the Special.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-07-2010, 08:36 PM
HorribleSubs - Epiode 18 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=112816)

-------------------

Pretty meh episode. I was under the impression that the dangers and near-invincibility of Gaichuus were common knowledge in Amberground, and that's the reason why people just don't go around delivering their own letters. That must have been a REALLY run-down place for those three to not have heard of that.

I'm pumped about the next episode though, since it looks to be really fun. Not a fan of Syllvete's hat though.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Horrible Subs - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=113957)

------------------------------------

I was always under the impression that Niche decided to drink milk ever since she thought she could increase her bust from doing so.

Rather cute episode I suppose. lag obviously feels less embarrased having Niche rub the sweat off him, but I wonder if that indicates that Niche has more chance as a potential love interest or not. i'm still supportive of a Lag x Sylvette relationship, and I think his embarrasement shows he's more conscious of the fact that Sylvette is a girl more than Niche.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=115121)

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
I like how Steak sits on Niche's head like a lump of meat, or Connor's dog hangs off his back by some strange physics that ignore how fat that dog is. Sure, sometimes Conner is holding the dog, but other times he doesn't (like every time he needs to use his hands).

Zazie is one hilarious male tsundere.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Throwing letters away can let you escape from a Gaichuu? I understood that Gaichuu were attracted to Heart, but you wouldn't think letters would contain THAT much heart that they'd prefer it over a live human.

That last line that Zazie said was a bit ambiguous.

"If I hadn't made the promise with you, he'd probably be crying about now."

In the end, I took that to mean if he hadn't made the promise, then Zazie wouldn't have been so eager to come back personally to finish the delivery, which would have left the misunderstanding unresolved.

Niche immediately grabbing Lag's arm at the sight of Moc was cute.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
[Nipponsei] Letter Bee ED2 Single - Hikari no Kioku [Angelo].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Letter%20Bee%20ED2%20Single%20-%20Hikari%20no%20Kioku%20%5BAngelo%5D.zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-02-2010, 11:26 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=116478)

-----------------------

Why the hell did Thunderland take his gloves off? It's the first/only time as well. It made the scratch-scene look funny.

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
I wonder if those are his examination gloves. He doesn't want them to get contaminated with dirt and plant matter, despite him wearing them around everywhere else.

I think it is more surprising that this is actually a two-part episode. We haven't really had one of those since the beginning. Furthermore, it looks like next episode might be contributing to the overall plot of the series.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Furthermore, it looks like next episode might be contributing to the overall plot of the series.

Yeah. I have no idea whether this is filler or not anymore.

[Nipponsei] Letter Bee OP2 Single - Love Letter no Kawari ni Kono Shi wo. [Seira].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Letter%20Bee%20OP2%20Single%20-%20Love%20Letter%20no%20Kawari%20ni%20Kono%20Shi%2 0wo.%20%5BSeira%5D.zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
HorribleSubs - episode 22 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=118400)

--------------------

When even Gus looks down at your lack of fitness, you know someone needs a workout.

So we're back to the Gausche plotline. I've got to throw a party or something.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
HorribleSubs - episode 23 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=118737)

------------------------------

-Finally, we get to see what Gus and Connor can do, and I have to say they're not as useless as I thought. That chubby Gus has paws of steel (or more fittingly, diamond) to tunnel like that. Half the time he looks as if he's snuffing at Connor like he's too good to be his dingo. Perhaps this is why he makes Connor carry him around so much.

-Connor too, uses his head a lot more than he shows. Observing the his surroundings and running when it's unfavourable, and staying silent to gather information.

-His attacks too are as big as he is. I had to chuckle at his strategy of laying mines and getting hungry, followed by releasing it in one big blast. If he doesn't have a projectile weapon though, I wonder how he finishes the Gaichuu off? Does he have a Shinda Grenade too or something?

-The 14 year old's cute.

-Zazie's the only bee who can pull off the Cool-Guy-Entry. Well, maybe Giggy Pepper too, but we don't really know what he sounds like. Moc couldn't do it without sounding like an asshole.

think it is more surprising that this is actually a two-part episode.

Looks like 2-part episodes are the new trend.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-21-2010, 06:19 AM
[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee - 24 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=120003)

-------------------------------

This was a pretty heart-wrenching episode. The world they live in is a really horrible place. In Amberground (or at least Yodaka and Yuusari), slavery seems pretty rampant, mistreatment is common, and so is poverty, oppression, not to mention Gaichu everywhere, making travel difficult. Letters carried by the Bees are really the only thing that keeps a lot of people from falling into complete despair, and even those are not that cheap.

The part that got me the most this episode was that Hunt never told Sarah that he willingly took on the arms to save her. She just ran with it, assumed the government had something to do with it. She brought even more suffering to the people of Honey Waters, without knowing anything.

Thanks to Lag and Niche, the series has made it seem that Gaichu aren't really that big of a deal when a Bee is around, but I think this episode reestablished how terrifying they are supposed to be. Zazie was helpless, Conner couldn't do anything, and even Hunt's absurd strength couldn't help him at all. Once they've got you, their power is overwhelming. Ann was in it the longest, so I wonder if she really is alright. It was already stealing her memories, while it was only accessing Hunt and Zazie's.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm still guessing Sarah made up the whole government thing with Hunt's arm just to sell her story. They lived in a place where people tried making money in any way possible, so that's not too farfetched. I don't think there's a reason to believe the government had anything to do with it. If anything, she would have blamed the master of that freakshow caravan.

In the last episode, Horriblesubs had Sarah describing Hunt's arms as paralyzed. They seem far from that, even if he usually has them hanging.

Connor really was helpless. I still wonder at how he even defeats Gaichuu in the first place.

I too have my doubts on whether Ann will be alright. Zazie's word suggest that the hollow Gaichuu are attracted to heart in an attempt to gain one themselves. If it's to be taken that they are unable to gain one because it all disappears like a black hole, then any heart gradually leeched from Ann should be gone for good.

Defeated Gaichuu always explode with a large number of "snowflakes" though - much more than you'd expect from a single Shindan shot, so one could still doubt whether they are somehow accumulated in the beast without becoming a heart.

The end of this episode was particularly vague on this point, since it's hard to say whether the glimpes of Gausche that Lag saw were from the heart released by the beast (possibly absorbed from Gausche during a fight when he last visited), or whether it resonated with (and was occluded by) Hunt right before he fell, making those images the memories of Hunt/his clothing instead.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Tears of redemption, horrible cliffhangers!

[HorribleSubs] Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee - 25 [Season 1 END] [720p] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=121158)

---------------------------------------

What a cliffhanger! Fall will be a long wait.

Gauche finally reappearing as Noir (what an emo name). It seems that Reverse got ahold of him after he exhausted his heart. They probably took him in and nursed him back to health, brainwashing him in the process. The gunsmith/baker said many episodes ago that the revolver (that Gauche obviously has now) was much stronger than the Nocturne that Lag now uses, so he may have done it right after he got the new weapon. Gauche didn't seem too convinced by the Reverse guy in the Sarah/Hunt flashback, even if it had something to do with Sylvette that clearly unsettled him. That's why I'm going to go with brainwashing rather than joining them and forsaking his name willingly.

More surprising was that Roda somehow became a girl, and a kunoichi at that! The color scheme still matched, so I can't see how it would be anyone but Roda (former dog). I wonder if the public shaming of Niche not once, but twice in a single fight will push Niche to become far stronger than she is now. Maybe Niche will put in some effort to think about her opponents and protecting Lag rather than reacting to his peril, typically falling off a cliff. Roda the Kunoichi is undoubtedly Niche's new rival. I don't really know who Niche will train with though...

As for Hunt and Sarah, it was a bittersweet ending for the pair. They were driven out of the town, who will continue with their angry protest causing the rest of the town to suffer. But Sarah knew all along that Hunt did everything for her. She wanted to keep him save as well. I'm curious to see whether Thunderland can fix Hunt's arms. If he can, I wonder what kind of life the two of them will lead. I don't think it is going to go as far as them becoming a Bee and Dingo, but I hope this isn't the last we see of the two.

Heh, Ann likes Zazie, mostly because he is 14 and is a brooding male tsundere.

@Buff:
Hunt's hands and wrists are paralyzed, but his arms themselves are not. The monster arms are grafted at about the elbow. He can move the whole arm, but not the hands themselves. Hopefully Thunderland can change that. It is probably because they just attached them and then stopped the bleeding. Maybe Thunderland will cut him open again and attach the nerves properly or something.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Tears of redemption, horrible cliffhangers!

[HorribleSubs] Tegami Bachi - Letter Bee - 25 [Season 1 END] [720p] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=121158)

---------------------------------------

What a cliffhanger! Fall will be a long wait.

Gauche finally reappearing as Noir (what an emo name). It seems that Reverse got ahold of him after he exhausted his heart. They probably took him in and nursed him back to health, brainwashing him in the process. The gunsmith/baker said many episodes ago that the revolver (that Gauche obviously has now) was much stronger than the Nocturne that Lag now uses, so he may have done it right after he got the new weapon. Gauche didn't seem too convinced by the Reverse guy in the Sarah/Hunt flashback, even if it had something to do with Sylvette that clearly unsettled him. That's why I'm going to go with brainwashing rather than joining them and forsaking his name willingly.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too. I'm more or less certain he's following orders from the One who's Unable to become Spirit, but I wonder what expectations or plans he has for Lag himself. Roda's words all but declare they've been watching Lag just as that dude's been watching Gausche.

More surprising was that Roda somehow became a girl, and a kunoichi at that! The color scheme still matched, so I can't see how it would be anyone but Roda (former dog). I wonder if the public shaming of Niche not once, but twice in a single fight will push Niche to become far stronger than she is now. Maybe Niche will put in some effort to think about her opponents and protecting Lag rather than reacting to his peril, typically falling off a cliff. Roda the Kunoichi is undoubtedly Niche's new rival. I don't really know who Niche will train with though...

Biggest headscratcher ever, but I was rather delighted. Who can turn their head at another appealing female dingo? Besides the colour scheme, I also liked how they kept the sleek coolness that Roda had.
It's time they introduced something Niche has to strive to do. Gaichuu have posed no threat whatsoever (almost)

As for Hunt and Sarah, it was a bittersweet ending for the pair. They were driven out of the town, who will continue with their angry protest causing the rest of the town to suffer. But Sarah knew all along that Hunt did everything for her. She wanted to keep him save as well. I'm curious to see whether Thunderland can fix Hunt's arms. If he can, I wonder what kind of life the two of them will lead. I don't think it is going to go as far as them becoming a Bee and Dingo, but I hope this isn't the last we see of the two.

Heh, Ann likes Zazie, mostly because he is 14 and is a brooding male tsundere.

As they say, first impressions count, and what can be a better first impression than being the hero who arrives in the nick of time to save the distressing damsel?

I was greatly amused at that.

Sarah and Hunt's relationship didn't send me to tears, but I liked how Sarah was conflicted with having Hunt sacrifice his arms so they can be with each other.

We can't blame Sarah at all after this. If she had said anything different the townsmen would have just killed them anyway. This wasn't even a case of providing a sympathetic perspective or reason. She was forced to lie.

Thanks for explaining Hunt's hand situation.

Kraco
Tue, 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
A major cliffhanger indeed. A succesful ending for a season all in all. It would be better if Gauche wasn't all against his will in Reverse. It would make a better story than Lag at some point managing to restore his memories (though that's what Lag excels at, of course), and everything being magically okay once again.

I hope we will learn how dogs are turned into humanoids... Maybe that's one of Akatsuki's secrets that we know nothing of.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Nipponsei - Letter Bee Original Soundtrack (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Letter%20Bee%20Original%20Soundt rack.zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 26 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=162221)

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Something is definitely broken now. I can't stop smiling when Lag cries.

It was a pretty nice episode to start with. Mostly a lot of the fallout of finding out Gauche is now Noir. I really liked Aria's blowup at the chief. Since it involves Gauche, and was something this big, there was no way she could let something like this go with her usual professionalism.

I still want to know how Roda became a kunoichi, but it is something to look forward to. Whenever it happened, Gauche had just lost his heart and memories. Maybe Lawrence did it, or Roda evolved on her own. This is all assuming the dog Roda is now the human Roda, and not some powerful young girl using Roda's name. Everyone seems to believe it though, so there's a good chance.

The rivalry with Niche should be good. I wonder how Niche is going to train. Niche is already one of the strongest dingos in their branch, and Roda is now a couple of levels above her.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Something is definitely broken now. I can't stop smiling when Lag cries.

Oh, you too? :D

I was pretty alright with it until Sylvette joined in the crying contest. After that, my grin just won't go away.

It's good to know I haven't lost my "Letter Bee" touch.

As for Roda, I hadn't thought of the possibility that she really isn't the original Roda. Judging from her dingo pride and all, it seems likely to be the case though, just as you said. The ED has a good shot of her too (complete with sexy ass).

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
The ED has a good shot of her too (complete with sexy ass).Indeed.

Another thought occurred to me. Roda could also be producing a Wolf's Rain effect. She could still be a dog, but appears to others as a human girl. Her blade being her teeth, hands being her mouth (but not biting down hard), etc.

Kraco
Sun, 10-03-2010, 09:25 AM
It would be even nicer if Gache's loss of memories (and heart?) was connected to Roda turning from a dog into a human. Like that was the price to pay for transforming her. Although I don't know why he would have done it willingly so it would be better if somebody else did. But I expect it to rather be connected to something he found - and was consequently taken care of by the guardians of that whatever, like the shady Reverse fellow, Lawrence.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM
It would be even nicer if Gache's loss of memories (and heart?) was connected to Roda turning from a dog into a human. Like that was the price to pay for transforming her.

I was thinking about that too. It'd help the "everything turns back to normal" type of ending, should there be one. At the very least, they won't have to find a way to "force" Roda back to a dog just so we can have a reset ending.

Another thought occurred to me. Roda could also be producing a Wolf's Rain effect. She could still be a dog, but appears to others as a human girl. Her blade being her teeth, hands being her mouth (but not biting down hard), etc

Interesting. I havent' seen Wolf's Rain, but an illusion would put a spin on things. I'm not investing in it just yet though, as we've seen nothing of the sorts in this "surreal", but still rather practical world.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee REVERSE eps 27 [720] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=163996)

A cute episode. When Niche shoved Steak into the fire, I thought he was really going to get hurt for a second there, far more than when she was frying him on the pan in the first season. I guess Steak really does need to be thoroughly cooked.

This episode surprisingly added the most character development for the couple who run Sinners. It seems that Jacob and Sandra actually had a child, but at some point they must have lost it. So it was cute seeing her dote on Niche. I got confused early on wondering why they never connected Lag, but then I remembered that it was Sylvette who gave him the Nocture, and he's never had to take it in for maintenance so far. Sandra was definitely leery throughout the episode until Niche told her that the bread made her happier, so I can't entirely say that she doesn't suspect something...whatever that may be. It was more than just Niche being a dingo. I can't help but feel it is connected to their child.

I guess the other question is who is going to write on the letter bullet. Will it be Aria (unlikely), Lag, or Sylvette?

Last but not least, Aria washing dishes fanservice!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM
A cute episode. When Niche shoved Steak into the fire, I thought he was really going to get hurt for a second there, far more than when she was frying him on the pan in the first season. I guess Steak really does need to be thoroughly cooked.

I started wondering at the beginning of the episode whether Steak is actually crying from sadness or happiness whenever he's about to be cooked (since he is ever so willing to do it, despite his facial expressions). I've come to the conclusion that he's sad that he can no longer serve the great Maka, yet dutifully goes to fulfil his last mission.

Regarding Sinners' child, I wonder if that's someone who also lost their heart. It wasn't alluded to at all (besides Jacob's commening on Gauche being "young"), so maybe there isn't any further a story to it.

This episode surprisingly added the most character development for the couple who run Sinners. It seems that Jacob and Sandra actually had a child, but at some point they must have lost it. So it was cute seeing her dote on Niche. I got confused early on wondering why they never connected Lag, but then I remembered that it was Sylvette who gave him the Nocture, and he's never had to take it in for maintenance so far. Sandra was definitely leery throughout the episode until Niche told her that the bread made her happier, so I can't entirely say that she doesn't suspect something...whatever that may be. It was more than just Niche being a dingo. I can't help but feel it is connected to their child.

How so? I thought she was distrustful only to the point where Niche liked her soup, and she wanted her to become their daughter. I had a bit of a laugh at her pansu checking, along with Jacob's subsequent reaction.

I guess the other question is who is going to write on the letter bullet. Will it be Aria (unlikely), Lag, or Sylvette?

I admit I had only thought of Lag when they mentioned that bullet (shame on me for forgetting Sylvette). I wouldn't really know, neither. They've pretty much been developing both sides of that story. I would guess that it's written by Lag, but mentions Sylvette.

Last but not least, Aria washing dishes fanservice!

I'm surprised the sink wasn't any lower. You'd think the house would be more wheelchair friendly. You can't do much about the stairs, and it's a wonder how she ever gets up it.

edit: never mind, just remembered the chair's turbocharged.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-10-2010, 07:34 AM
How so? I thought she was distrustful only to the point where Niche liked her soup, and she wanted her to become their daughter. I had a bit of a laugh at her pansu checking, along with Jacob's subsequent reaction.
She had a strange blank expression when Niche was doing the rescuing and displaying her abilities. She reacted to something her husband said by snapping out of it visibly.

There's some connection I think, it just wasn't clear to me what it is.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-10-2010, 07:40 AM
She had a strange blank expression when Niche was doing the rescuing and displaying her abilities. She reacted to something her husband said by snapping out of it visibly.

There's some connection I think, it just wasn't clear to me what it is.

Hmm, I initially thought that reaction was to the fact that she now can't have a daughter anymore..

.. or did she abandon a child after she was violated by a full-blooded Maka???
Lag looking cool for once was pretty well done. He didn't cry out of joy like I thought he would. This is one of those rare no-crying weeks!

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM
[HorribleSubs] Letter Bee REVERSE - 28 [720p] (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=165854)

Sadly, no blubbery tears for quench our thirst on again, but there were heartwarming childhood friend tears. Lag must be growing up a little. While it is a nice change, it's still a bit sad that I've come to expect him to cry every week, only to come away disappointed.

It was a heartwarming episode. Kimidori's story was nice, and her reactions were funny, as was Lag's seeing her the first time. Colbasso also served as an surprisingly shallow and cliché villain who was just after money. Lag's shock at how shamelessly greedy she was, and getting angry enough to shoot a shindan after he said he couldn't to Niche was funny as well.

It was a simple episode, but it was a nice one.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Lag's sense of justice really came through with that one. I'm sure there's been examples in the earlier series, but it's so long ago that I can't remember.

Kinda strange how the Mistress completely forgot Kimidori. She had to sell her hair clip, but that can't be all there is to remember her by right?

Colbasso's request was as funny as it was shameless and thoughtless. Does she really expect to receive any of that? Normally these requests would be via blackmail.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
HorribleSubs - episode 29 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=167575)

Kraco
Sun, 10-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Alright! After the last few abnormal episodes this one finally found Lag crying in the good old fashion. Jiggy Pepper with Zoro's VA was also a nice character. Foolish Sylvette couldn't understand at all how awesome the bike was, haha.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I thought the "twinkle" sound effect from Jiggy's bike after his "cool pose" was funny.

Then Lag pulled his own version of it and I totally cracked.

This Bee Idol episode was really well done. Niche turning out to be that monster in particular was a nice touch. A non-linear episode every now and again keeps things refreshing.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I knew that the monster was Niche the first time it spoke. The voice, even if distorted, gave it away.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Crunchysubs - Episode 05 (aka 30) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=169487)

---------------------------

I have no idea who the Inspector is working for. He could genuinely be a government agent spying on Reverse, who seems to be targeting all these would-be Head Bees for whatever reason.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-31-2010, 07:09 AM
I loved the part with Wasiolka attacking and subsequently falling in love with the pro-wrestler dingo, while Zazie watched on in horror.

I get the feeling that Niche wouldn't be "second-rate" if she didn't get all fired up and attack with all her blades at the same time. She can use them independently, and usually does when dicing clothes, but whenever a serious opponent is in front of her, gaichuu included, she attacks with all at once on a single point.

That's how the pro-wrestler was able to "blade grasp" against her, and fend her off later in their tussle in the canyon. She could have easily defeated him in Hive by attacking in pairs. He only has two arms, she could stagger her blows a bit and hit him with the other four no problem.

It might not work against Roda, but it should take care of most of the foes who end up humiliating her.

It seems that Reverse is gathering those who Akatsuki cast out, people like Niche and the Beast arms guy from last season. Only these are people who are not quick hack jobs like the beast arms guy or whatever Niche is, they're government experiment rejects. Makes me wonder about Lag's mother!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-31-2010, 07:34 AM
It seems that Reverse is gathering those who Akatsuki cast out, people like Niche and the Beast arms guy from last season. Only these are people who are quick hack jobs like the beast arms guy or whatever Niche is, they're government experiment rejects. Makes me wonder about Lag's mother!

The beast-arm guy (Hunt?) was modified by his circus boss to protect his girl (Sarah). The government didn't play a part in that one (since they were fakes).

The way the pro-wrestler teased Niche was pretty hilarious.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-31-2010, 07:44 AM
The beast-arm guy (Hunt?) was modified by his circus boss to protect his girl (Sarah). The government didn't play a part in that one (since they were fakes).
That would be why I put an *emphasis* on the word "like," and explicitly stated he was a quick hack job.

We haven't seen any of these supposed government ones the Reverse leader was ranting about, but from the way he described it, they're similar to Hunt or similar to Niche. That was what Sarah was playing on, even though they both knew they were full of it. Reverse is claiming that the Akatsuki central government is making chimeras to the purpose of making an artificial Spirit. The rejects are "those who are unable to become Spirit."

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 31 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=171299)

------------------------

Damn it, all those scenes turned out to be relatively innocent and their relationship made zero advances!! :mad:

The whole thing was pretty comedic at first (like when they used Lag's "throbbing sound" outside its usual application), and I was wondering if I was becoming immune to the "heart-tugging" effect - that is until Lag shot his obligatory Nocturne. Ironically, by making that doll Sylvette's shown Lag her past experiences in a way words would never describe.

The ease at which Niche will switch between jealousy and dingo-pride (for lack of a better word) is always fun.

Kraco
Sun, 11-07-2010, 03:18 AM
The ease at which Niche will switch between jealousy and dingo-pride (for lack of a better word) is always fun.

Yeah, she's certainly a half-animal.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM
The ease at which Niche will switch between jealousy and dingo-pride (for lack of a better word) is always fun.Niche's angry line, "I smell Sylvette!" had me laughing hard. We learned last season that there are few things that make Niche angrier than Lag abandoning her to play with Sylvette.

The only thing I didn't understand was why Lag didn't think to simply send Niche down to grab the doll. She's stabbed into a cliff to fetch something before on multiple occasions (usually Lag). I guess Lag's desire for emotional eavesdropping is so strong that shooting something with a shindan in order to retrieve it comes to mind before a more simple solution.

Maybe it is my weakness for silver-haired maidens, but Sylvette looked really pretty with the wind whipping her hair before she set off after the carriage.

A strong comedic episode. I have no idea what level of sappiness Lag will put into the letter bullet, but I'm certain it will be written right before it is needed.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 32 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=173078)

----------------------

This episode revealed less than what I had expected, but there's still some stuff to work off. For one, The-One-Who-Is-Unable-To-Become-Spirit wasn't planning Noir's brainwashing like I previously thought. I'm not too sure what to make of it though. On one hand, having come to his own decisions should mean changing Noir back to Gausche should be a bit harder, but I would expect Lag's magic bullet to do the trick too.

I'm kind of unsure whether the current Roda has any relationship with the previous canine one now after what's been revealed. That mermaid has shown how crude the government's experimentations are, and it's just out of place that they would be able to produce something as complete as the current Roda.

Niche really has to think before she acts. She's abandoned Lag way too many times now. Like the big wrestler dingo from last time as shown, she's very simple minded, and too easily distracted.

But... Niche's mum??.... hot damn!!

Kraco
Sun, 11-14-2010, 03:36 AM
But... Niche's mum??.... hot damn!!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that. She should be a genuine legendary monster, right?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-14-2010, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that. She should be a genuine legendary monster, right?

The lady was shown standing with the bird-like Maka, so I believe they're separate beings.

But yes, legendary is the right description. :3

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-14-2010, 06:34 AM
I think we'd be pretty safe to say that the current Roda is not the dog Roda. However, I'm not going to discount something really weird happening, because plenty of things have been happening already. It's interesting that Gauche's only remaining memory is of his dingo, but it makes sense in the way that Roda was the closest one to him when he lost his heart, and the girl was the closest one to him afterward.

I was surprised at how long it had been since he lost his heart, and reborn as "Noir." Aria was still in her lowly position, Sylvette was still happy carrying on without her brother, and the new Roda was very young herself. It seems like Gauche lost his heart immediately. I wouldn't discount Reverse's involvement just yet. They had been interested in him for a while (from last season when he was still Gauche). But I don't think it makes much of a difference that Lawrence didn't brainwash him. He had no memories of his old life, and the first things he's told is that the world is unfair. Who wouldn't want to go out and fix that if they knew nothing else?

I think the most ominous thing from this episode was the flash Zazie saw. If we put the last few episodes together, Reverse seems to want to steal letters in order to summon Gaichu on command. Then they can do whatever Noir was doing to the one on the ice moosehead and cause them to molt. That's seriously messed up. I'm getting immediate flashbacks from Chrome Shelled Regios.

Equally messed up is the mermaid woman that Roda and Noir came across. If they're doing that, then there really aren't any good people to this world besides perhaps the ones at Lloyd's Beehive. He doesn't seem too comfortable with government folks either, but he does seem to be trying to achieve genuine good. Akatsuki certainly is evil, and Reverse is assuredly no better. Once again, my Worried-for-Lag's-Mother Meter goes off the chart again!

Niche remembering she was born there and is over 200 years old came out of nowhere, heh. Maka-like lady is indeed hot. Hopefully Niche will at least learn some advanced hair techniques to defeat Roda.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 33 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=174924)

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Heh, not Niche's mother at all...Niche's twin sister! Niche's real mom wasn't too bad looking herself though.

This episode was huge.

This is a pretty interesting arc, similar to the Honey Waters arc, showing what lengths people will resort to when they are afraid and desperate. Of course it was their own faults again. Strange that Spirit Amber can radiate heat like that, and the ground went cold as they dug it out. Then again, Spirit Amber does a lot of strange things.

So what happened to Niche? Her sister obviously has not forgotten anything, but Niche appears to not only have "forgotten how to grow," but also why she left the cave in the first place. From the sound of things, the two of them lived there for some time before they got separated, and it wasn't the fall from the cliff that parted the pair. It almost sounded like Niche left willingly for some reason, but never came back. After that, she lost all of her memories.

Her sister also uses her swords in considerably more complex patterns. I got a good chuckle out of Lag insisting she put on underwear, and requesting that she also cover her breasts because Niche was getting all "fixated" as usual. At least she knows that when she does get around to remembering how to age, she'll be just as hot as she always dreamed!

It was a small thing, but perhaps the craziest part of this episode was Niche's sister stating that there were no humans in the chamber. Niche and Steak are obvious, but what does that make Lag? Is his Spirit Amber overriding his human scent, or is Lag not even an Albasian as he appears?

I bet those special kind of gaichuu were sealed in ice for a reason. Maybe they were even sealed by the Maka.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-21-2010, 09:03 AM
This is a pretty interesting arc, similar to the Honey Waters arc, showing what lengths people will resort to when they are afraid and desperate. Of course it was their own faults again.

I had great enjoyment as they revealed that drinking from that lake will in fact grant them nothing except maybe Maka pee.

So what happened to Niche? Her sister obviously has not forgotten anything, but Niche appears to not only have "forgotten how to grow," but also why she left the cave in the first place. From the sound of things, the two of them lived there for some time before they got separated, and it wasn't the fall from the cliff that parted the pair. It almost sounded like Niche left willingly for some reason, but never came back. After that, she lost all of her memories.

That has be guessing too. Interestingly, all those shots of the two when they were little had one of them with their eyes (scarily) open, and the other one always seemed asleep. My first impression was that Niche was the one who was always in a hibernating state and hence doesn't remember much of what went on around her.

Her sister also uses her swords in considerably more complex patterns. I got a good chuckle out of Lag insisting she put on underwear, and requesting that she also cover her breasts because Niche was getting all "fixated" as usual. At least she knows that when she does get around to remembering how to age, she'll be just as hot as she always dreamed!

Damn that Lag. I didn't even get a proper look.

Try as Niche might though, it seems a shiny forehead runs in the family. :P

It was a small thing, but perhaps the craziest part of this episode was Niche's sister stating that there were no humans in the chamber. Niche and Steak are obvious, but what does that make Lag? Is his Spirit Amber overriding his human scent, or is Lag not even an Albasian as he appears?

I'm going with the latter, and that it once again has something to do with him being born on the Day of Flickering. Perhaps Sylvette too is not human.

Talking about being human, one thing that just occurred to me is that neither Sylvette nor Lag are physically "complete". Since birth, Sylvette's never been able to move her legs, and I can't imagine a mother replacing a son's eye with Spirit Amber unless it was a less-than-functional one in the first place.

I must have missed it since neither are hindered much by their apparent disability. Lag's aim is still true enough, while Sylvette's long since conquered stairs and off-road driving.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-21-2010, 09:23 AM
That has be guessing too. Interestingly, all those shots of the two when they were little had one of them with their eyes (scarily) open, and the other one always seemed asleep. My first impression was that Niche was the one who was always in a hibernating state and hence doesn't remember much of what went on around her.Except for that one shot at 18:28 where they are looking at each other, and the preview for next week showing the same. I don't think one was hibernating, they were babies, they tend to sleep a lot (except when they're crying, which notably the two sisters did not).

Of course I'm speculating. Niche's sister doesn't know what happened (or hasn't yet had time to explain their own story before they were interrupted), and Niche doesn't seem to remember things all that well. She remembered the 200 years figure, and then got confused and said 20 and then 2 (the last one clearly being false). Her sister confirmed 200.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Except for that one shot at 18:28 where they are looking at each other, and the preview for next week showing the same. I don't think one was hibernating, they were babies, they tend to sleep a lot (except when they're crying, which notably the two sisters did not).

Hmm. True enough. I do wonder at why Niche's memory is so bad compared to her sister's.

Of course I'm speculating. Niche's sister doesn't know what happened (or hasn't yet had time to explain their own story before they were interrupted), and Niche doesn't seem to remember things all that well. She remembered the 200 years figure, and then got confused and said 20 and then 2 (the last one clearly being false). Her sister confirmed 200.

Wait.

So that town mayor is 200+ years old??

edit: never mind. Both old, but different enough.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Horrible Subs - Letter Bee 34 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=176283)

Niche's sister is flat-out amazing.

Lag tears return! Even with the tears, this was probably one of the more badass showings of Lag's skill. His Red Needles tore their way into Niche's sister, explaining in ways his words never could, so her sister could see why Niche stood by him. Lag's eye flaring was just so cool, I don't know why he envies Jiggy Pepper when he's got that thing.

I doubt it at this point, but we can only hope that during her healing period, Niche learns some of her sister's techniques, even on an elementary level. Separating sections of her hair to use as projectiles was something the Maka itself did with it's feathers/needles. There was some excellent Millia-Rage action in that sequence.

Perhaps the most interesting bit of information was that Niche's sister matured in a matter of moments (or not, that wasn't all that clear) due entirely to an outburst of emotion. So, somewhere far down the line, maybe not even covered by the anime, Niche will follow. I suspect something along the lines of Lag nearly dying, or maybe someone else close to Niche getting terribly hurt. In that future time of severe stress, Niche will mature as well, likely becoming on par with her sister.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Horrible Subs - Letter Bee 34 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=176283)

Niche's sister is flat-out amazing.

Lag tears return! Even with the tears, this was probably one of the more badass showings of Lag's skill. His Red Needles tore their way into Niche's sister, explaining in ways his words never could, so her sister could see why Niche stood by him. Lag's eye flaring was just so cool, I don't know why he envies Jiggy Pepper when he's got that thing.

Haha, yeah. But then his crying face was so ridiculous this time it simply balances it out. :D

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6223/horriblesubstegamibachi.jpg

I doubt it at this point, but we can only hope that during her healing period, Niche learns some of her sister's techniques, even on an elementary level. Separating sections of her hair to use as projectiles was something the Maka itself did with it's feathers/needles. There was some excellent Millia-Rage action in that sequence.

I doubt it too. Niche just doesn't have enough hair to go around, even if her sister's was used out of proportion.

Perhaps the most interesting bit of information was that Niche's sister matured in a matter of moments (or not, that wasn't all that clear) due entirely to an outburst of emotion. So, somewhere far down the line, maybe not even covered by the anime, Niche will follow. I suspect something along the lines of Lag nearly dying, or maybe someone else close to Niche getting terribly hurt. In that future time of severe stress, Niche will mature as well, likely becoming on par with her sister.

I'm picking the first option, though I'd still think she'd remain much the same way she is at the moment. I can't see her surpassing Sylvette any time soon. I'm also inclined to think that Niche's sister grew up slowly rather than near-immediately. It would seem to me that she was crying for ages (months?) rather than moments.

For me, the most interesting bit of information was Maka's comment about Lag being the Light. On the Day of Flickering, the artificial sun at Akatsuki went out briefly. Whatever light was meant to shine at that time was absorbed into (or became) Lag Seeing.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 35 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=177794)

Kraco
Wed, 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
That super gaichuu reminded my nicely of Lexx. I hope it won't be too easily defeated.

An interesting episode for sure. Of course it was a set up for the next episode but still it wasn't bad by itself either. Lag getting macho (yeah, right) and deciding to infiltrate the monastery was good development.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-08-2010, 07:14 PM
That super gaichuu reminded my nicely of Lexx. I hope it won't be too easily defeated.

An interesting episode for sure. Of course it was a set up for the next episode but still it wasn't bad by itself either. Lag getting macho (yeah, right) and deciding to infiltrate the monastery was good development.

I thought it was interesting on many points too.

For one, I had totally forgotten the reason behind Lag's amber eye (that it was used to heal an illness). For all we know, it could have been a disability, suggesting that Sylvette's cure may also be the insertion of Spirit Amber, or some other form of channelling Spirit energy into her.

Roda's comment about having heart inserted into he also suggests that the government may not have simply done hack n slash jobs in their Frankenstein experiments. All the more likely now, is that canine Roda's heart was inserted into this girl's body, explaining her physical characteristics and devotion to Gauche.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 36 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=179270)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 37 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=180686)

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-18-2010, 11:38 PM
So much went on in this episode, Lag's sparkling will have to take a back-seat.

I don't know if I can believe Roda is gone. It was just too sudden, and she's not that helpless, even in situations like that. She's not dead until we see a body.

Niche leveled up! She did learn something from the Maka and her sister even though she was mostly unconscious. She's still got a long way to go, but maybe she'll even practice.

Aria's tears, Lag's tears, Sylvette's tears, there was too much to take all in one episode.

Next time we'll finally see Aria use her Shindan 'weapon' in combat. She's paired with Niche of all people too. I wonder if she ever had a dingo in the past because they certainly never showed her having one in the Gauche flashbacks.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-19-2010, 12:25 AM
So much went on in this episode, Lag's sparkling will have to take a back-seat.

I don't know if I can believe Roda is gone. It was just too sudden, and she's not that helpless, even in situations like that. She's not dead until we see a body.

I don't think she's dead for the same reason you mentioned.

I'm surprised the Reverse duo didn't stop Lag from carrying off Gauche. You'd think keeping such a powerful member would at least be of some importance.

I lolled when Niche came back. It seems like she grew a tiny bit, though it could easily have been the illusion of her wearing less (http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6223/horriblesubstegamibachi.jpg) and looking slimmer.

Do you have more spirits after that view (http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6223/horriblesubstegamibachi.jpg), Lag?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Do you have more spirits after that view (http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6223/horriblesubstegamibachi.jpg), Lag?

I certainly do.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 38 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=182149)

----------------------------

Aria turned out to be much more interesting than I had anticipated. I loved how they led me to believe she was going to be totally awesome last episode, then made her out to be a total ditz on deliveries with a troublesome ability - only to have it balance out her Wide Area, Instant KO barrage.

Niche - that's some serious upgrade. It doesn't seem like those techniques need any learning. Now that Niche's been shown that hair manipulation to that degree is possible, all that's limiting her is her imagination. In that regard, I believe she probably surpasses her sister since Niche's seen much more of the world to draw inspiration from.

Her cranking out Ari-bari was hilarious. Simply love Letter Bee comedy.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, Aria turned out to be a comedy relief ditz...and then back to being totally badass. Her shindans were huge, artillery style stuff. I loved how it boiled out of the tiny ring above her, and then poured and poured into the gaichu. Aria's shindans require a lot of concentration, time, and no interruptions. It really displays exactly how good of a dingo Bolt was. He had to do everything to keep the gaichu off of Aria while she prepped.

An extremely talented dingo like Niche is perfect for someone like Aria, but I loved the way their personalities clashed.

I wouldn't be so quick to say Niche didn't learn those new techniques from her sister. There are many subtle differences to her techniques now. Braiding is common now rather than lashing out with them as simple blades or arms. She is also shaping the blades as well, there was a ridge in her hair blade that saved Aria from the tentacles, before she only used a flat.

Aria squeezing into her old pants...delicious. I still love her office worker outfit though, especially the thin ribbon on only one ankle and the suspenders.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-26-2010, 09:29 PM
It really displays exactly how good of a dingo Bolt was. He had to do everything to keep the gaichu off of Aria while she prepped.

Bolt is undeniably awesome - you wouldn't earn such a title as Brave Warrior without being so.(I think they actually said "Bolt the Hero" in the anime) I think Aria would have been slightly more coordinated in her Bee days, and that she would've needed time, but not multiple tries to release an attack.

I wouldn't be so quick to say Niche didn't learn those new techniques from her sister. There are many subtle differences to her techniques now. Braiding is common now rather than lashing out with them as simple blades or arms. She is also shaping the blades as well, there was a ridge in her hair blade that saved Aria from the tentacles, before she only used a flat.

I was thinking that Niche learned through observation in her previous battle with her sister, rather than being taught how to braid her hair and use shapes by her sister during her recovery (she hadn't fully recovered when she arrived to help Lag against Roda, leading me to believe she left almost immediately after being conscious).

Thinking back, I'm not so sure I'd say she's stronger than her sister actually. Niche's small body requires her to jump in order to counter-balance her heavy swings now. Her trajectory in the air is both predictable and unchangeable. Until she fashions wings anyway.

Kraco
Tue, 12-28-2010, 10:08 AM
An extremely talented dingo like Niche is perfect for someone like Aria, but I loved the way their personalities clashed.

Niche doesn't really care for anybody but Lag, so her personality is wont to clash with everybody else.

Quite a nice comedy ep after the previous crying fest.

Kraco
Sat, 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Episode 39 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=184759)

- - - - - -- - --

I consider this one of the most significant episodes so far. I don't usually find scene jumping from one location to another repeatedly the most appealing way of storytelling, but this time I found it to work splendidly. It was also interesting how basically the same story was revealed in those different locations.

I suppose the artificial star being another... thing eating heart shouldn't be a surprise in that world where so much seems to depend on it. After this ep I feel like we should finally learn more about Akatsuki, though, and Lag's strange legacy. But since this show, fortunately, doesn't exactly drop pieces of information out of the blue (not counting those heart sparklies revealing memories), I wonder how long it will take for us to get any closer to the truth...

I'm going to miss Chiisana Mahou.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I consider this one of the most significant episodes so far. I don't usually find scene jumping from one location to another repeatedly the most appealing way of storytelling, but this time I found it to work splendidly. It was also interesting how basically the same story was revealed in those different locations.

Alternating story-telling like that is always awesome in my books, since you get the bigger picture by having everybody's version, especially when they can't be in both places at once. It's when there's two different things going on that it shows have a good chance of stuffing up (like alternating between two fights).

I suppose the artificial star being another... thing eating heart shouldn't be a surprise in that world where so much seems to depend on it.

We knew it was something strange, but I didn't know it would be THAT creepy (and living)... *shivers*.

I'm going to miss Chiisana Mahou.

Hah, first thing that came through my mind when I didn't hear that OP was "... Omake??". But then I realised, no, it's that time of the season again. Then the next thought was "What did you do to my Letter Bee?!". The OP2 isn't bad as a song after some listening. I can imagine myself listening to that by itself, but it doesn't suit the series all too well. My favourite ones were all the surreal ones (Season 1 OP2, ED1, ED2, REVERSE ED1)

I greatly enjoyed how despite Niche commending Aria on her strengths, that she's still thoroughly annoyed at her physical incompetence. I have to wonder at how Gauche will get on with everybody now. Old characters finally coming back to the group only to find out he's totally out of sync with them now happens all too often, and from an emotional standpoint, I sure as hell hope it doesn't. My attention is on Aria in particular, since all the previous clips showed that Gauche doesn't really feel anything for her. How will that sit with her now?

I lolled at young Thunderland. That's stylish. XD

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM
[Crunchy] Letter Bee Reverse - 40 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=186456)
(Horrible had a lot of artifacts, so I'm linking crunchy's)

Wherein Lag acts like a little girl out on her first date, Gauche may not be Gauche (or Noir might not be Noir), Aria gets suspicious but ends up relieved, Sylvette may have wondered the same but became overwhelmed, and Roda feels dejected.

Of course I'm very happy to see Roda wasn't dead (as most of us suspected). What I will be delighted to see soon is whether or not Roda turns. She has been rather loyal to Reverse since she herself was subjected to experimentation (allegedly) by Akatsuki. I'm still not convinced Lawrence doesn't know how to do exactly the same. But she may see that the organization is no better than the government they claim to want to bring down. They're throwing away Gauche just as easily. Even if he is still Noir, they view him as a liability. That kind of behavior drives Roda the most in her crusade.

Ideally, I'd like to see Gauche return to being a Bee, with (now girl) Roda by his side. I'm not certain that happy conclusion is possible, but at the very least I think she could be quite happy if she was put into the same environment that Niche has been subjected to, which improved her own disposition. Her recent life has been very harsh, giving her such a cold outlook on the world. Sylvette's will could easily overpower Roda's, just as it did Niche's.

The other notable part was where Gauche apologized to Lag for not looking into his mother. I'm not all that certain that Gauche wasn't lying to Lag for his own good. That flash might have been when he met Lag's mother within Akatsuki. There is no doubt in my mind that she plays some important role in Akatsuki, but I'm less certain she is in a state that would result in a happy reunion. She likely may have been experimented on.

Kraco
Sat, 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Did you guys ever notice that they cry a lot in this show? A lot.

Seriously, though, there was... Well, lots of crying in this episode. I can't really remember anything else from it. Other than Gauche getting the black card. I hope we get a scene of assassins attacking him and mummy Roda appearing at the critical moment to save his skin.

More interesting will be, of course, to learn whether he's really Gauche or Noir playing games for who knows what reason. Noir wouldn't have certainly won anything by spending so much time with Lag and then disappearing in the morning. Right now I believe he's Gauche but still with Noir's memories, and thus he set out half to keep Sylvette and Lag out of trouble's way and half to sort things out on his own.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm not certain how clear it is that he ran away. They definitely want us to think that, but he may merely be sitting by a fountain, or looking at the Bee Hive.

It's too soon to say, and the next episode is a showdown between Roda and Niche.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM
More interesting will be, of course, to learn whether he's really Gauche or Noir playing games for who knows what reason. Noir wouldn't have certainly won anything by spending so much time with Lag and then disappearing in the morning. Right now I believe he's Gauche but still with Noir's memories, and thus he set out half to keep Sylvette and Lag out of trouble's way and half to sort things out on his own.

I'd say that's the case. It' like with memory loss how even when you recover your former self, the one that had developed in the meanwhile is here to stay.

As I suspected, Aria didn't get to play too big a role in this reunion. She didn't even get a one-on-one session with him to sort things out. If we didn't get anything at this point, I doubt we'll ever get anything - which leaves Aria as a side character with unrequited love. :(

Can't wait for Roda vs Niche. Let's see how far Niche's upgrade takes her.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Aria needs to openly confess. It seems that the artificial sun took Gauche's sensitivity as well.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 41 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=188077)

edit: My version of Horrible has stuffed up audio at 9:33, so here's Crunchy's version.

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=188079

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I had the same problem, grabbed it from a different source and it was still there. So it wasn't just you.

It was nice to see Sarah and Hunt again (married no less!). They both finally found their little corner of happiness. Even if it didn't change anything for now, there really couldn't be anyone better to find Roda. Sarah also felt thrown away, and Hunt (willingly though) went through the modification. Perhaps Roda will see their kindness and current happiness as an alternative to the path she always thought was the only way. Others have suffered as she has and found peace in the current world. They hurt others before in their anguish, but only found happiness after letting go of that resentment.

Too soon to say which direction they're going with. Is Noir (as Gauche) trying to find out the truth now that his memories are merged, or is Noir (as Noir with Gauche's memories) confused and looking for answers or playing double-agent?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
It was so like Niche to not notice that it's she who has gotten stronger. Her ability now to pretty much disregard how much hair she has when using her moves simply makes her the strongest being to date in the entire Amberground. She just has to do exactly as she did against Roda here: keep 4 blades at bay for defence, and use the other two to clober them up.

Kraco
Wed, 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I very much doubt Noir is going back to finish the nefarious deeds. More like he's heading out to find the truth, on that much I agree with Ryll. It also makes perfect sense: He knows too much to sit on his hands, especially with so much hanging in the balance. Of course he might also feel like he doesn't belong anymore to the happy house. If true, that could pose a problem later, but it's not something Lag and Sylvette (and lots of crying, of course) wouldn't solve.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
CrunchySubs - episode 42 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=190077)

-----------------------

Aria....-san?

That's the last thing I expected from Letter Bee. This show continues to impress! (and of course, Sylvette's slightly tamer nighty shot.)

Poor Niche's got nothing of the sorts, but resorted to some autobot skills instead.

I don't know guys.. best episode yet? :D

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 43 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=191840)
(http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=191841)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
CrunchySubs - Episode 44 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=193520)

Kraco
Mon, 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Why did they try to climb the wall of rock in the first place..? Well, good eps otherwise. Too bad about the Cabernet. It was far weaker than I expected. Although it might have still fulfilled its original role in the grand plan, which shouldn't have included a swift response from any shindan capable troops. This was all a clear mistake by Lawrence who got greedy by wanting to recruit Lag and thus risked the old plan.

Ryllharu
Mon, 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
The Cabernet isn't dead. It woke up and burrowed into the ground.

Kraco
Mon, 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Oh. I thought it was just convulsing prior to death like some beheaded chicken.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 45 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=194948) (99% error-free).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 46 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=196504)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 47 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=198014)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 48 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=199922)

--------------

So like a mother feeds her unborn child, Lag's mother has some form of link with the artificial sun and keeps providing nutrients to it with the heart she's stolen. The two questions that prompts are:

1) Is the heart-stealing ability of Lag's mother something she is born with, or something induced by the government? Lag said he was born with a disease that was cured with the insertion of a Spirit Amber. It makes sense that Spirit Amber was used to fill in the deficit of heart due to long term exposure to his mum. I'll also explain that because it's constantly filling up his body with heart, he regsisters on the maximum level in Thunderland's laboratory

2) In order to establish the link, did they have to... stick the unborn child from Lag's mum into the sun? I can't remember if she was pregnant when they took her. Then again, the key might have been that she simply gave birth on the Day of Flicker instead.

The plan was... rather straight forward, lol. Seek and Destroy without the seek. They didn't even ask Noir for its weakness (he somehow knows it all, even the weaknesses of 'extinct' Gaichuu species.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 49 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=200777)

-------------------

Cast assembly!!

Even with everybody in the fray, Niche was the biggest point scorer this episode. I like how she's grown to understand people and things since the beginning of the series and is capable of making straight, true points and guidance, yet at the same time gets pissed off when someone doubts her ability as a dingo. She's grown (if only mentally), but she's still Niche.

The Maka was a little... underwhelming, I must admit. It's big and godly, but in terms of offensive striking ability it's easily outclassed by the "half-blood" sisters.

I'm not going to certify Gauche just yet, even if Aria's about to bawl her eyes out. Thunderland and the Maka have yet to work their magic, but it'll give Lag a nice resolve boost.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 50 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=202042)

--------------------

Okay, that smells of a studio ending. I refuse that this is the ending from something that's been so well-crafted up until now. No explanation of what the government's doing, no explanation of Lag's mother, everybody decides to pack it up and call it a day..

Any manga readers like to tell us where things really derailed for good? I'd like to start reading from there.