PDA

View Full Version : OpenVPN tunnels?

David75
Tue, 09-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Days ago, I started using OpenVpn and found servers offering tunnels for free for a limited period of time. I don't know exactly when they plan to start charging for the service... so before that happens, I wonder if anyone knows of good free vpn tunnels servers.

The beta service I use can max my adsl connection, so it's pretty good :p , but I need alternatives. Works well with P2P too...

Thanks a lot

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-22-2009, 05:53 AM
What is this good for?

David75
Tue, 09-22-2009, 06:14 AM
The idea is that you have an encrypted tunnel beetween your machine and an external server. Your isp cannot know anything about your browsing and data unless they decipher your key.
So it's not too bad for p2p, if you can trust the remote server you connect to. All of the web then sees your comp having another ip.
You can also use it with tor for increased privacy

Animeniax
Tue, 09-22-2009, 06:21 AM
With the additional encryption it will slow down traffic significantly. Also, this reminds me of that one protocol that failed to gain much popularity because of the lack of encryption at exit points on the network, as well as VPN owners being able to intercept traffic that passes through their segment of the network.

David75
Tue, 09-22-2009, 06:41 AM
With the additional encryption it will slow down traffic significantly. Also, this reminds me of that one protocol that failed to gain much popularity because of the lack of encryption at exit points on the network, as well as VPN owners being able to intercept traffic that passes through their segment of the network.

I'm over 800KB/s in my case, so it's not slower at all.
It doesn't seem to be request limited either as conventionnal websurfing remains snappy.

And Yes, you have to trust the point you connect to to created the tunnel. Hence the question in the initial thread about good and free VPN servers/service.

There's no point in encrypting your traffic to protect it from your ISP, if at the other end of the tunnel the guys are worse than your ISP themselves.

My idea was to use that only for low security/importance tasks like anime download for example ;)

The other use I've not tried yet, would be to configure a comp at home as a server.
Could be useful for accessing some website that do not allow connection from other countries (hulu.com for example). Or any other use that check your comp's location.
I think some routers can act as VPN servers? I'm a noob at this so maybe that last idea is wrong.