PDA

View Full Version : Archiving

Archangel
Mon, 09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
How do you save your anime? Or do you just watch it and then delete it?

Personally i like to keep it in my pc, but i only have 200 GB of free space that disappear very quickly so i'm usually forced to burn a couple of series as new ones show up.

Marik
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I mainly watch them, then delete them. The last show that I archived was Moyashimon: Tales of Agriculture, just because I loved it so much.<3 Hasegawa.

Psyke
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM
I burn them to DVD, store them in a big DVD folder, and never see them again till I decide to throw them away. :p

Kraco
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Burn baby burn.

Until not long ago I used to burn every series I downloaded but recently I have ever so slightly veered towards a more sensible direction of burning only stuff I could imagine rewatching. And I also do rewatch anime from my archives, even if it's mainly some special series and not the bulk of it.

Archangel
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I burn them to DVD, store them in a big DVD folder, and never see them again till I decide to throw them away. :p

This is my problem too. I'm thinking of getting a 1,5 TB exterior hard drive for this too

darkshadow
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't delete anything, unless its something that was really crappy or meant to be temporary. I even have msn chatlogs from 8 years ago still on this pc.

And why did you turn on your rep all of a sudden <_<

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I archive the good ones, delete the "not worthy" ones and burn the very good one for eternity

that is if it's not avaible to buy here.. (which is pretty much everything)

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Until not long ago I used to burn every series I downloaded but recently I have ever so slightly veered towards a more sensible direction of burning only stuff I could imagine rewatching. And I also do rewatch anime from my archives, even if it's mainly some special series and not the bulk of it.
My response is exactly the same.

I began burning less often once I gained the space, and after a while I realized that there are a number of series I know I will never want to watch again.

Carnage
Mon, 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
I used to burn on DVDs. But now I just archive, I'm hoping to get a 1 TB drive soon.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Burn away!!

When I had a hard drive with less capacity than I do now, I used to burn completed shows every season, or every 6 months depending on how long the shows go for, and how many I pick up. I burned every one of them regardless. I generally picked up few shows due to my internet quota, so the stuff I watched tended to be anime that I liked.

In the last year or so though, I've been bought more hard drives (including external ones), changed ISPs with more quota (hence picked up more shows), and moved on to HD and preferred higher quality mkv releases.

All that means burning's become a bit of a pain in the backside. It doesn't help that 12 episode series are now closer to 3GB than 2, and 24 episode series started becoming 5GB or more, making it difficult to try to "match" certain series with complimentary file sizes to burn together as to not waste DVD space.

I've gotten lazy about it too, so I've got a 6month backlog of shows I have not yet burned. I intend to get around to it sometime, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Rather than for rewatch value, these DVDs are more of a keepsake and a physical reminder that I had seen the series.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Save/Delete, but that is only because I generally watch raws since I am too impatient to wait for the subbed version.

I still download really good subbed shows and archive them so I can recommend and share them to people I know. If I run out of space, then I burn them to DVD.

Arcn3ss
Wed, 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I always burn to DVD, design labels, and placed in CD/DVD binders. I am debating whether or not to stop ink labeling as ink is freaking expensive. As a general rule, I do some research on a series to decided if I am actually going to keep downloading it. So I read reviews, watch an episode or two and then make a choice. This way I only end up keeping good series.

For now I still label my stuff, however I've been lazy and haven't placed anything in binders for a while. I think I have around about 250 DVDs labeled but still in spindles.

Archangel
Wed, 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM
I always burn to DVD, design labels, and placed in CD/DVD binders. I am debating whether or not to stop ink labeling as ink is freaking expensive. As a general rule, I do some research on a series to decided if I am actually going to keep downloading it. So I read reviews, watch an episode or two and then make a choice. This way I only end up keeping good series.

For now I still label my stuff, however I've been lazy and haven't placed anything in binders for a while. I think I have around about 250 DVDs labeled but still in spindles.

Post a pic with that awesome briefcase of anime you have

poopdeville
Wed, 09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Hard disk space is too cheap to go around burning stuff. I have like 1.8 TB in my room. 750 GB of that is devoted to "media", like anime and music and movies.

Actually, I need to get re-organized, so I might do some burning today. My computer lost its 320 GB drive and I had to replace it with a 750 GB one. The extra space is nice, but I don't even have a good backup solution in place for it.

And I'm getting an Acer Aspire One today. WHEEEEE. That'll put me over two terabytes "in my room".

Pandadice
Wed, 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM
i have a 500gb internal, so i've got plenty of space on my main computer, and then i've got a back up/old/pretty much unused 140gb computer, which i store some on, and then i've got a 500gb external which i filled so i recently (like 2 months ago) bought a 1tb external. at the moment i think i'm okay.

before i bought the 500, and before i upgraded to a computer with a 500gb internal, i only had that 140gb of space, and then i would only save the good stuff and delete the rest. but now i don't have to do that.

Board of Command
Wed, 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I keep the "good" series and delete the rest. I often re-encode the videos to smaller sizes for archiving. I used to burn them on DVDs, but it's so much easier to organize and manage on a hard drive.