PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Vampire Diaries

Munsu
Tue, 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5022/vdad1.jpg

The Vampire Diaries, new show airing in the CW on Thursdays @ 8pm EST. The show is based on a series of novels of the same name by L. J. Smith. From what I can see, the series will be similar to that of Twilight.

It premieres this week, Sept. 10... and since it's about Vampires I'll be watching. Hopefully it won't be too chick oriented, and it contains plenty of action scenes. Main chick is hot though.

Anyone else considering watching this?

Here's a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5t1V8XG_JE

Four months after the tragic car accident that killed their parents, 17-year-old Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev, "DeGrassi: The Next Generation") and her 15-year-old brother, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen, "Everwood"), are still adjusting to their new reality. Elena has always been the star student; beautiful, popular and involved with school and friends, but now she finds herself struggling to hide her grief from the world. Elena and Jeremy are now living with their cool-but-overwhelmed Aunt Jenna (Sara Canning, "Smallville"), who is doing her best to be a surrogate parent.

Elena manages to find some comfort with her familiar social circle – best friend Bonnie (Katerina Graham, "17 Again"), frenemy Caroline (Candice Accola, "Juno"), and former boyfriend Matt (Zach Roerig, "Friday Night Lights"), but Jeremy is on a more dangerous path, hanging out with the stoners and using drugs to hide his pain. Jeremy is also trying to figure out why Matt's sister, Vicki (Kayla Ewell, "The Bold and The Beautiful"), is suddenly rejecting him and hanging out with Jeremy's rival, Tyler (Michael Trevino, "Cane").

As the school year begins at Mystic Falls High, Elena and her friends are fascinated by a handsome and mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley, "Fallen"). Stefan and Elena are immediately drawn to one another, although Elena is puzzled by Stefan's increasingly bizarre behavior when he appears suddenly at the cemetery where her parents are buried. What she doesn't realize is that Stefan is hiding a dark, deadly secret of his own – the fact that he's a vampire. At a bonfire party the next night, Elena and Stefan are just getting to know each other when chaos erupts after Vicki is attacked and left bleeding from a savage bite to the neck.

Fearing that he knows who is responsible for the attack, Stefan returns home and finds his older brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder, "Lost"), whom he hasn't seen for 15 years. Damon is also a vampire, and the two brothers have a long and bitter history. Damon ridicules Stefan for rejecting their legacy of violence and brutality, but he understands his brother's obsession with Elena, since she looks exactly like a woman Stefan loved more than a century ago; a woman that Damon tried to make his own. Now these two vampire brothers – one good, one evil – are at war for Elena's soul and for the souls of her friends, family and all the residents of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

Based on the series of books by L. J. Smith, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is from Alloy Entertainment and Bonanza Productions Inc in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson ("Scream," "Dawson's Creek"), Julie Plec ("Kyle XY," "Wasteland"), Leslie Morgenstein ("Gossip Girl," "Private") and Bob Levy ("Gossip Girl," "Privileged"). Marcos Siega ("Dexter") directed the pilot.
http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries

Death BOO Z
Tue, 09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Four months after the tragic car accident that killed their parents,
read: no parents around to tell them to stop running around with strangers.

17-year-old Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev, "DeGrassi: The Next Generation") and her 15-year-old brother, Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen, "Everwood"), are still adjusting to their new reality. Elena has always been the star student; beautiful, popular and involved with school and friends, but now she finds herself struggling to hide her grief from the world.
read: we're directing this shit at loser girls. they think that their so-called heavy emotions are what's stopping them from being uber popular. we're riding on that wave.

Elena and Jeremy are now living with their cool-but-overwhelmed Aunt Jenna (Sara Canning, "Smallville"), who is doing her best to be a surrogate parent.
read: most women who have teen age children tend to be around 40tish years old, women that old don't get roles in the television industry. hot milf women around 30 are great for rating boost, though.

Elena manages to find some comfort with her familiar social circle – best friend Bonnie (Katerina Graham, "17 Again")
I didn't even need a google (or knowledge about the actress, or familiarity with afro-american naming) to know that the best friend is going to be black.

, frenemy Caroline (Candice Accola, "Juno"), and former boyfriend Matt (Zach Roerig, "Friday Night Lights")
screw it, I'm not wasting my time with google: quirky hip dharma, and jewish chandler.

but Jeremy is on a more dangerous path, hanging out with the stoners and using drugs to hide his pain. Jeremy is also trying to figure out why Matt's sister, Vicki (Kayla Ewell, "The Bold and The Beautiful"), is suddenly rejecting him and hanging out with Jeremy's rival, Tyler (Michael Trevino, "Cane").
Wait, what? Rival? the guy is a four months in town, and half the time he's stoned. the guy she's hanging with isn't a rival, it's just that he (Jeremy) is the buttmonkey of society.

As the school year begins at Mystic Falls High, Elena and her friends are fascinated by a handsome and mysterious new student, Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley, "Fallen"). Stefan and Elena are immediately drawn to one another, although Elena is puzzled by Stefan's increasingly bizarre behavior when he appears suddenly at the cemetery where her parents are buried.
But she forgives him immediately. because he's hot.

What she doesn't realize is that Stefan is hiding a dark, deadly secret of his own – the fact that he's a vampire.

Theo has feelings for Bonnie as well, but he also has a deep, dark secret. A deep, dark dragon secret. He is a dragon.

At a bonfire party the next night, Elena and Stefan are just getting to know each other when chaos erupts after Vicki is attacked and left bleeding from a savage bite to the neck.
isn't that a tragedy? just when the girl was about to get the new dreamy super sexy guy, her jealous friend has to get injured and steal her thunder. talk about cockbloking

Fearing that he knows who is responsible for the attack, Stefan returns home and finds his older brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder, "Lost"), whom he hasn't seen for 15 years. Damon is also a vampire
A. read: Damon? Demon? do you get it? it's like Shakespeare, if he wrote in American English, and not in that pancy fancy english.
B. thanks for clearing that up for me, I was under the impression that the older brother of our vampire hero (which by himself is probably at least fifty years older than he looks) and that you mentioned that they haven't seen each other in fifteen years was going to be an old person.

and the two brothers have a long and bitter history. Damon ridicules Stefan for rejecting their legacy of violence and brutality, but he understands his brother's obsession with Elena, since she looks exactly like a woman Stefan loved more than a century ago; a woman that Damon tried to make his own
O.k, I'm going to ask the two girls who'll read this a question.. what's with the fiction women obsession of being a 2nd choice? why does every 'girl meets much older boy' story involve her looking like his late and dead girlfriend?

Now these two vampire brothers – one good, one evil – are at war for Elena's soul and for the souls of her friends, family and all the residents of Mystic Falls, Virginia.

I'll give them two seasons before they bring in the werewolves, and seven episodes before the female vampire joins the hassle.

If it ever gets here, I'll make myself a rule to watch this and make nasty 'stepfather sexual abuse jokes' each scene.

that's my entire contribution to this topic, feel free to continue.

*1. Cracked.If ‘Twilight’ Was About Dragons (And Contained More Fisting) (http://www.cracked.com/blog/my-book-proposal-for-the-next-bestselling-piece-of-shit)

Munsu
Tue, 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Lol DBZ, who knew that a series about hot chicks and Vampires would make you rage so much. But yeah, you're spot on with many of you observations, though we could ridicule just about anything in the entertainment industry the same way... you know, like the shounen series we usually like to read.

Penner
Wed, 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM
God damnit here i was hoping for some awesome vampire show (more in the kin of True Blood) and they make some shit similar to the horrible teen-emo-turd Twilight (and i have not even seen or read that shit, if i did i know i would regret it forever)

Sadface :/

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
God damnit here i was hoping for some awesome vampire show (more in the kin of True Blood) and they make some shit similar to the horrible teen-emo-turd Twilight (and i have not even seen or read that shit, if i did i know i would regret it forever)

Sadface :/
I thought Twilight was alright, of course I didn't care for the romantic or emo portions, but I thought it had some good elements here and there and some decent action scenes. But yeah, to each his own I guess... and certainly not for everyone, though for the most part people have liked it.

Logrus
Thu, 09-10-2009, 10:14 PM
wow that DBZ guy really exploded over this show :O?
is it that bad?

Sapphire
Fri, 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm calling failure on this show from a mile away, I can't see anyone other than confused pre-teen girls who were too late for the Twilight phenomenon liking this.

Munsu
Fri, 09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I watched it, and I thought it was alright. I'll keep watching. Of course, the romantic/teenage drama crap and the emo crap was cringe worthy, but I thought it was quite solid in other areas. At least we got the vampires killing people, so I can enjoy that.

Let's see how long I can tolerate the teenage drama, and considering that I tolerated the incestual brother love of Supernatural for all these years, I probably will for a while. Hopefully the action continues, and people keep getting killed or brutally attacked.

Ratings wise, it was the best premiere for the CW ever (of course, the CW is a recent network), and it's been praised just about everywhere.

Penner
Fri, 09-11-2009, 01:03 PM
incestual brother love of Supernatural

wut?

OT
Supernatural is like the 3rd best tv show ever made (that i've seen)

1st place goes to Firefly, 2nd to Stargate SG-1.
/OT