PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 555

LaZie
Fri, 08-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Binktopia DDL (http://dl02.mangashare.com/One_Piece_555%5BBinktopia%5D.zip)

Online Viewing/One Manga (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/555/01/)

Augury
Fri, 08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Great chapter!

It's nice to see Nami's cover story. It looks like that old Weatheria guy is selling weather, which could've been an interesting solution for Alabasta...

I liked the overhead shot on page 04-05 showing the amount of ocean that Aokiji turned to ice, as well as a big gaping hole left from Joz/Jose in the bay. I also liked the ursus shock panel on page 12-13, I thought it was done well and had good emotional impact.

We also get to see a showcase of Shichibukai abilities... Hancock being a martial artist was a bit of a (welcome) surprise for me, I thought she would be more of a long-range type of fighter. I'd like to see her fight someone powerful to see how her King's Disposition haki would come into play.

Doflamingo's abilities appear to be a bit more clear now. Back in the marine meeting where we were first introduced to him, how he was controlling the marine officer wasn't apparent. It seems like he actually uses wires (as a puppeteer?) which allows him to slice limbs too.

Most of the major players have done a little bit of something now. I'm looking forward to see how Oda proceeds here.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
goddamn epic.

Augury. where do you see wires? I agree that he makes a 'post slicing' posse (like juggo of the cloud, for those who watched Fist of the north star), but it can be a number of things.

Boa didn't impress me much, all she did was take out some assholes who were already half dead due to her paralyzing spell, it's not like she fought someone special.

Horned shadow toad is an awesome spell for Moria, it's probably too big&slow to hit normal people. and without focusing all the shadows it lacks destructive power, but it's probably an old technique for taking out enemy ships and castles, it's prefect for a general type pirate like Moria.

Whitebeard also seems to be a leader\strategist. he isn't rushing like luffy, despite him being more than qualified to do so.

did I say it's damn epic?

Carnage
Fri, 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
This is the first chapter in a long while in which I don't think much has happened, at least compared to the most recent chapters.

Archangel
Fri, 08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Hahaha, is anyone else ready to add Oars to their favorite characters list? He might be the most lovable character i've ever seen xD

Don flamingo's ability seems to be th creation of puppeteer strings that both allow for control and for slicing, a fearsome power indeed.

Looks like Boa will just stand there looking good and punish anyone who dares attacks her, so here's hoping that there's someone both stupid and strong enough to go after her and make her use her king's disposition Haki

Assertn
Fri, 08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Yeah....I didn't see strings either...

Archangel
Fri, 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm making an educated guess based on what we've seen so far

Assertn
Fri, 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
That would basically make doflamingo's techniques the same as that string priest. It would be lame, imo.

3 shichibukai teamed up to take down one captain, damn. I imagine it will start to get a lot more chaotic at this point.

Archangel
Fri, 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
What string priest?

Augury
Fri, 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't see wires/strings, but that's what seems to be the most likely from what we've seen now. What are the other possibilities that you've come up with?

Assertn
Fri, 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
What string priest?
The priest behind the "trial of strings" door?

I don't see wires/strings, but that's what seems to be the most likely from what we've seen now. What are the other possibilities that you've come up with?
What's wrong with a devil's fruit that lets a user control someone else's body? Maybe its similar to Legato's ability, where he can control them to the extent that he can have their own appendages rip off?

Carnage
Fri, 08-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with Assertn on this one, i think its a DF power. And also, i think it was only Kuma and Flamingo guy, the Empress didnt attack Oars did she?

FireEmblem
Fri, 08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
If Oars' body acts as a ramp for the pirates to walk on to get closer, that would be awesome.

However, I do see Whitebeard's frustration as very warranted. Looking at Oars' size and power, if they had been able to use him more strategically, it would have caused way more trouble for the marines probably. More so than him just rampaging anyway. That is of course unless his sacrifice bears a lot of progress for the WB pirates.

Augury
Fri, 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I think Doflamingo's attack was definitely DF-related - I just think that using wires/strings (invisible or not) is the mechanism for how it works.

Who is Legato?

Assertn
Fri, 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Legato Bluesummers from Trigun

Oars received an attack from Kuma, Doflamingo, and Moria. Three major blows from three shichibukai.

RyougaZell
Fri, 08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I was more interested in seeing Nami's cover story than the chapter itself (even thought it was great). Im surprised Oda did hers right now. I was expecting Brook first, leaving Nami and Zoro to the end. Since he already did Nami, I expect the next one (after her conclusion next week) to be Brook's, leaving Zoro to the very end.

Archangel
Fri, 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I was more interested in seeing Nami's cover story than the chapter itself (even thought it was great). Im surprised Oda did hers right now. I was expecting Brook first, leaving Nami and Zoro to the end. Since he already did Nami, I expect the next one (after her conclusion next week) to be Brook's, leaving Zoro to the very end.

...why? What do you base that on?

Assertn
Fri, 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM
This was quite a monumental chapter in that distinguished characters actually received permanent physical damage. For the past 500 chapters, this really only happened in flashbacks.

Augury
Fri, 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I also think that Zoro's cover story will be last since he's critically wounded and landed on the same island as Perona. I don't think Oda would leave the newest member's cover story for last.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 08-29-2009, 05:35 AM
I can't think of anything beside string that would fit Doflamingo power but you can never be too sure with Oda. I'm rather surprised that Oars Jr got taken out in 1 chapter but that just mean we're closer to seeing all the big shot fight

on a sidenote: one thing that have been bothering me for the longest time is the reasoning behind the admirals title (Blue Pheasant, Red Dog, Yellow Monkey).

Then I recently came across the wikipedia page for Momotarō (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotar%C5%8D) while randomly browsing and read through the reference section. Can't believe i never figured it out, despite actually being familiar with the folklore.