PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 553

Marik
Thu, 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM
imangascans - SendSpace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/hfbxwq) - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?m2zmzdmzymm) - One Manga (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/553/01-02)

Binktopia - SendSpace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/sqqjc3) - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gjynn3olmmm) - Online Viewing (http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-553/page001.html)

No Shounen Jump next week.

Archangel
Thu, 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM
What a weird chapter, all double spreads...

For some reason i just couldn't get into it, probably because there was too much going on and it felt very short

rockmanj
Thu, 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Yea hard to figure out what was going on...and it was very short.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I really want to see Kizaru getting beat up. just from the way his face is drawn, I know he's going to cry when he goes down.

FireEmblem
Thu, 08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I always think about Basch's quickening when I see Whitebeard do that thing.

An actually boring chapter, until we got to see what some of the WB pirates abilities were.

Assertn
Thu, 08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
It's not that confusing...then again i follow the spoilers, so i have a decent idea by the time the chapter comes out...

1) aokiji freezes the tidal waves
2) aokiji throws ice spears at WB
3) WB smashes spears and aokiji with an air punch
4) aokiji freezes the bay to keep himself from falling in
5) WB's crew charge across the frozen bay
6) Vice Admirals show up to fight them
7) Mihawk splits the frozen bay with his slash toward WB
8) one of the division captains turns his body to diamond and blocks the attack
9) kizaru unleashes a flurry of beams at WB
10) Marco absorbs the beams with his blue flame body

...yep...
that about sums it up

Archangel
Thu, 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Diamond fruit, i wonder if he'll ever go against Zoro

And blue flame...? I have no idea on that one.

Assertn
Thu, 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Considering that Mihawk's attack was called the "world's strongest slash", that would probably make Zoro stronger than Mihawk if he was ever able to defeat a diamond man.

Archangel
Thu, 08-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Considering that Mihawk's attack was called the "world's strongest slash", that would probably make Zoro stronger than Mihawk if he was ever able to defeat a diamond man.

I think that just means that it was a slash by the world's strongest swordsman

He meant to cut the ship in half, i'm thinking that if he was aiming to cut diamond the other guy might be in trouble

I'm just assuming though, it's hard to gouge Milhawk's power level at this point

The Chancellor
Thu, 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
How are you people not totally psyched about this finally happening?! The fight is actually starting and no one is freaking out. I can't believe this. In fact some of you are actually disappointed and confused about what was going on?? Are you kidding me? I knew this was going to happen with the viewers. Oda waited soo long to get the fight started that it's lost it's bad ass spark it once had. We should have had OMFGs!! and this is awesome all over this thread today.

Jose has to be a logia user. If not then he's just an upgraded Mr 1. And that's lame. From the looks of it, Marco seems to be a logia. Although, other than an upgraded form of Aces, I don't see what it could be.

UChessmaster
Thu, 08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Jose? you mean Jaw?

depthcharge
Thu, 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
A good action filled chapter with some side chat too.

Other then the things that you guys talked about. A panel or two dedicated to the vice admirals chatting and asking the old granny vice admiral to retreat. Hmmm, that is the kind of shit we are into. It is going to get uglier as it goes.

RATE: Good chapter, fast, ended fast because it was good.

Match up count : 15V 15
Casualty count: 0 WB X 0 WG

The Chancellor
Thu, 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Jose? you mean Jaw? Yeah whatever his name is. I really am shocked that everyone on this thread isn't freaking out over what is happening in those pages. This is what I've been waiting for the entire series. Nothing up until now has mattered at all compared to what is happening now, maybe after the SH's head into the NW

Assertn
Thu, 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM
i like imangascan's translations better

Marik
Thu, 08-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Yeah, they used strikertp's translation, he's pretty good.

Archangel
Fri, 08-07-2009, 08:45 AM

...why?

I don't know about their tl but their scans suck. They can't do a double spread to save their lives

Assertn
Fri, 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Binktopia is like the old ANBU-Aone.

Their releases are clean. Their fonts are nice. But sometimes their translations are completely off to the point where it changes the entire context of the dialogue.

Archangel
Fri, 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Binktopia is like the old ANBU-Aone.

Their releases are clean. Their fonts are nice. But sometimes their translations are completely off to the point where it changes the entire context of the dialogue.

Our translators are pretty good, i really don't know where you're getting this from

Besides 50% of our stuff comes from cnet's public translations, same with many other groups

At the very least i hope you're not comparing our translation to sleepy fans and assuming that ours in the one that's incorrect

Assertn
Fri, 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Our translators are pretty good, i really don't know where you're getting this from

Besides 50% of our stuff comes from cnet's public translations, same with many other groups

At the very least i hope you're not comparing our translation to sleepy fans and assuming that ours in the one that's incorrect
As I follow the release of new chapters, I get translations of pieces from multiple different sources. Here's 3 mistranslations from this chapter that I feel change the tone or meaning of the dialogue:

Page 4

Aokiji: Wha-
should be...
Aokiji: Oops...

Subtle, but the difference here sounds more like Aokiji realizing he made an error in judgement, vs just being caught off-guard.

Page 7

Vice Admiral: Don't run off now, Otsuru-san!
should be...
Vice Admiral: Otsuru-san, you stay back!

Clearly, the mistranslation here creates a tone that's completely opposite of its intention.

Mihawk: I'm just guessing, but he looks too close. His true attack range and ours.
should be...
Mihawk: I'm just going to measure... so I can see it with my own eyes. The difference in actual strength between that man and I

Here it sounds like both translators picked up on certain words, and drew completely different conclusions about what Mihawk was trying to say. Blinktopia's interpretation was way too literal, and doesn't even make any sense...

That's just from this chapter. Honestly, I tend to find at least one mistranslation that really bothers me from practically every chapter they release in both One Piece and Naruto. This was just like the way AA used to release their Naruto episodes back in the day...

When they get the translation right, they usually write it in a way that reads more naturally than other translations, but when they get the translation wrong... it just ruins it, imo.

The Chancellor
Tue, 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I really want to see Kizaru getting beat up. just from the way his face is drawn, I know he's going to cry when he goes down. I think you'll get your wish then. From the looks of the setup it sounds like Marco wants a piece of him. I really can't get guess on what fruit he has but I'm sure it's pretty epic. Seems like the fights are just getting started from here.