PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brian dubs anime

TheBladeChild
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:42 AM
This was recently posted on RC and I gotta say it was funny.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/07/28/dubbed-anime-aint-so-bad-when-conan-obrien-does-it/

enkoujin
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I'd say this belongs in the "The Funny Videos Thread!", but it is so damn awesome and humorous that which thread it belongs to probably does not matter.

Munsu
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM
That was great. Conan is awesome.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Great clip, those two are hilarious. I wish they'd actually release an anime with goofy dubbing, maybe as an extra on the DVD.

Nadouku
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Awesome video. Great laughs!

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Anime in general desperately needs some Mystery Science Theater treatment.

TheBladeChild
Thu, 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd say this belongs in the "The Funny Videos Thread!", but it is so damn awesome and humorous that which thread it belongs to probably does not matter.

I thought about doing that but I just thought that the level of awesome in this clip was so high that it deserved its own thread.

Testarossa Autodrive
Thu, 07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
When I watched it the night it was aired, I just about pissed my pants I was laughing so hard. And the next day I forced all my friends to watch it. :3

Anime in general desperately needs some Mystery Science Theater treatment.

That I would love to see. :)

EpyonNext
Thu, 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
That was so full of awesome and win.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I was more surprised how many people on RandomC were taking offense to it. I'll admit I felt really awkward towards the beginning, especially at the guy's less than stellar explanation of the GiTS movie plot and the Tenjou Tenge Maya "bobbleboob" figurine...but once you get down to it, if you can't laugh at your hobbies you're taking things to seriously.
(I posted to this effect on randomC as well).

I was starting to have trouble breathing during the fishtank scene I was laughing so hard.

narutosharingan
Thu, 07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
That GiTS explanation was horrid. Otherwise, that was incredibly funny. I can only hope more things like this happen in the mainstream.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Honestly I felt more offense than entertainment watching that. It wasn't just his explanation of GiTS, but the way he worded his introduction to Anime (plus the superannoying laughter that accompanied it) that made it sound like some sort of parody.

That feeling carried over to when it should have been funny, so I didn't enjoy it terribly much.

Testarossa Autodrive
Thu, 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I was more surprised how many people on RandomC were taking offense to it. I'll admit I felt really awkward towards the beginning, especially at the guy's less than stellar explanation of the GiTS movie plot and the Tenjou Tenge Maya "bobbleboob" figurine...but once you get down to it, if you can't laugh at your hobbies you're taking things to seriously.
(I posted to this effect on randomC as well).

I was starting to have trouble breathing during the fishtank scene I was laughing so hard.

I wasn't aware that people were taking offense to it; however, if you don't really know what kind of humor to expect from Conan O'Brien, then I suppose I could understand why. He makes fun of everything, that means himself, other people, NBC (my God, sometimes I wonder why they haven't fired him yet), his family, his friends and I'm sure I'm missing stuff. For him to poke fun of anime is no big surprise. But what I think needs to be recognized here is how he's exposing interests that would have otherwise been ignored.

It's cool to see such a popular late night TV show host exposing something I love dearly. Although I doubt it would create much of an uproar; you either like anime or you don't. Still, even though he was having a bit of fun with it, that connection I felt just made me love anime even more.

Wren
Thu, 07-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Great clip, those two are hilarious. I wish they'd actually release an anime with goofy dubbing, maybe as an extra on the DVD.

actually...i think it has been done before. i vaguely remember this sort of thing being done for the Official Berserk DVD for the North American region (someone correct me if im wrong)

Animeniax
Thu, 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM
actually...i think it has been done before. i vaguely remember this sort of thing being done for the Official Berserk DVD for the North American region (someone correct me if im wrong)
I also like the Yu-gi-oh abridged series. Kind of the same thing.