PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 552

Marik
Thu, 07-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Binktopia (cnet) - SendSpace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/oym0yf) - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zjeggwjyazf) - Online Viewing (http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-552/page001.html)

SukiKim Scans (Svg) - SendSpace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/inx628) - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?euwmymmmmqz) - Online Viewing (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/01/)

---

Haha @ the cover page.

Carnage
Thu, 07-30-2009, 06:14 AM
I came on the 05-06 double spread when Whitebeard cracked the air.

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
A quakeman huh? I never expected that one. Heck... I thought he wasn't a Devil Fruit user. Neverthelss, doesn't rest the coolness factor of Whitebeard.

It was great watching Ace's past, specially since it was that short. I've liked One Piece's flashbacks, but they tend to be a bit long... and I wanted to see the fight already.

I seriously didn't expect Luffy to know about Ace being Roger's son. It certainly scared the crap out of Iva-chan. I do wonder though... how the hell did he kept the secret so long being... Luffy?

One thing I didn't catch... was Ace a Shichibukai before joining WhiteBeard? Or he was just invited?

Munsu
Thu, 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I thought the flashback was quite weak. The only good thing was that it was short. What's happening in the present was kickass though. And those fucking idiots from FH separating the double pages ruined the chapter.

Augury
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM
The FH scan says that Ace rejected an invitation to be a Shichibukai, which seems accurate to me based on his personality. The earlier release by SukiKim says that he was a Shichibukai. I haven't read any other scans. The two translations also differ quite a bit in tone, especially in that one panel with the three admirals' comments.

I don't think Ace will be kicking the bucket anytime soon, otherwise there would probably be a more detailed flashback.

When I saw the two tsunamis approaching, I realized that most of the recognizable powerhouses on the marines' side are devil fruit users. Mihawk (and possibly Sengoku?) are the notable exceptions.

Assertn
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM
FH was also missing page 16....

Despite being logia, Jimbei and Whitebeard both seemed to be able to beat him up pretty well. I could see Jimbei maybe using water attacks to counter Ace's fire attacks, but I'm sure Whitebeard fought in the same manner as Rayleigh did against Kizaru. Of course, Oda left out the details about those fights...

I wonder if Ivankov would be pissed that he ruined his position in impel down and put himself at the forefront of a war when the guy being executed isn't related to Dragon after all. Also, I get the feeling Luffy doesn't realize Gold Roger was the name of the former Pirate King. Rayleigh did mention Roger by name when they talked, right?

Splash!
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
It is interesting to see that Lafitte was already a member of the Whitebeard pirates when Ace joined. So Blackbeard didn't just randomly decide to put together a crew after murdering a division commander. He must have been planning to break off from Whitebeard for a long time.

Edit:
@ Assertn: Luffy did say that Gold Roger was awesome. Why would he say that if he didn't know who he was?

rockmanj
Thu, 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I wonder if Aokiji can freeze those waves? I doubt Whitebeard will one-shot the Marines, but wow, what a power!

Marik
Thu, 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
The FH scan says that Ace rejected an invitation to be a Shichibukai, which seems accurate to me based on his personality. The earlier release by SukiKim says that he was a Shichibukai.

Yeah, cnet's translation made more sense to me than Svg's.

I replaced Franky-House's release with Binktopia's. Their release seems to be the best.

The Chancellor
Thu, 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
It is interesting to see that Lafitte was already a member of the Whitebeard pirates when Ace joined.

Then where is he? I don't see him in this chapter at all. In fact I've never seen him mentioned being in the WB crew at all.

This chapter was kind of lame. It was good that we got to see Aces past and how he was recruited to WB's crew, but it was so half assed. We didn't see him and Jimbei fight. We didn't see anything else about the WB crew. It just felt like there could have been a little more added on. Other than though, great chapter.

I find it really lame that WB has a fruit. This great powerful pirate all of a sudden has his power from a devils fruit? It would've been better if he had no fruit and just raw skill. Like Mihawk or Zoro or something. Now, all someone has to do is surprise him and push him into the water. And I know what you're all going to say, they can do the same thing to an Admiral. Well, no because an admiral is a logia before he even hits the water he'll reform just above and save himself. WB's fruit is most likely a paramecia power so he can still be attack and hurt.

Assertn
Thu, 07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
It is interesting to see that Lafitte was already a member of the Whitebeard pirates when Ace joined. So Blackbeard didn't just randomly decide to put together a crew after murdering a division commander. He must have been planning to break off from Whitebeard for a long time.

Lafitte wasn't in the flashbacks. Blackbeard already stated his motivations: He had no intention of killing a division commander, and if he never found the darkness fruit, he would've remained in the crew.

Edit:
@ Assertn: Luffy did say that Gold Roger was awesome. Why would he say that if he didn't know who he was?
Different translation. Luffy never says Gold Roger is awesome.

I find it really lame that WB has a fruit. This great powerful pirate all of a sudden has his power from a devils fruit? It would've been better if he had no fruit and just raw skill. Like Mihawk or Zoro or something. Now, all someone has to do is surprise him and push him into the water. And I know what you're all going to say, they can do the same thing to an Admiral. Well, no because an admiral is a logia before he even hits the water he'll reform just above and save himself. WB's fruit is most likely a paramecia power so he can still be attack and hurt.
If its so easy, then how come Ace failed in 100 attempts to kill WB?

Personally, what I think the flashbacks was missing most was any sort of defining point that made Ace and WB want to make the other one the pirate king.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
"it's a seaquake!"
"what's that?"
"It's like an earthquake, only in the sea"
"oh. Oh NO! it's a Seaquake!"

I didn't like the flashback, the 'tried to kill the captain so many times that they became friends' seems really generic and unoriginal. I don't know what I hoped for, but I hoped for something else.

and, where is page 16 in FH?

FireEmblem
Thu, 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Personally, what I think the flashbacks was missing most was any sort of defining point that made Ace and WB want to make the other one the pirate king.

I agree. I think everything else was fine though. Especially the scene where Whitebeard and the rest of the WB Pirates were telling Ace not to go after Blackbeard.

Also the present scene where Marco agrees that Whitebeard did send Ace out was awesome. I have a lot more respect for WB and the WB Pirates as every chapter progresses. Their brotherhood is otherworldly it seems.

Splash!
Thu, 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Lafitte wasn't in the flashbacks. Blackbeard already stated his motivations: He had no intention of killing a division commander, and if he never found the darkness fruit, he would've remained in the crew.

Look at page 12, at the top, 3rd panel from the right. Lafitte is the guy with the moustache.

Also, I think here significance in the fact that blackbeard turned down the oppurtunity to become 2nd division captain when asked by Ace.

The Chancellor
Thu, 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Look at page 12, at the top, 3rd panel from the right. Lafitte is the guy with the moustache.

Also, I think here significance in the fact that blackbeard turned down the opportunity to become 2nd division captain when asked by Ace. It's not him dude.

I'm actually curious to see how strong Thatch was. Fourth division is pretty damn high to be on the ranks, and it would also let us see how strong BB was before his fruit which would tell us how he gave Shanks his Scar.

Splash!
Thu, 07-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I am pretty sure it is him. At first I wasn't sure, but the shape of the chin, the hat and the earrings, I am certain of it.

poopdeville
Thu, 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I like that One Piece is consistently the first WSJ manga to be translated.

That looks like Lafitte to me.

Whitebeard can probably punch pretty hard, with the Quake Quake fruit.

StillAlive
Thu, 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
As Assertn mentioned above the flashback did miss the turning point in the relationship between WB and Ace but other than that the chapter was great. I'm fine with WB being a devil fruit user and his power really fits the scenario - he may shake the foundations of the world government.

And I'm pretty certain that's not Lafitte:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/234/09/
Lafitte has no eyebrows and no moustache but he wears earrings and lipstick(?). Can't spot the earrings on the other guy.

Can't wait to see the next chapter =)

Splash!
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Okay, I'll admit there is a difference in the way the 2 characters are drawn but take a look at this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/splash66/lafitte.jpg

Also, you cant see the ears very clearly but i can make out something that looks like an earring.

Assertn
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Okay, I'll admit there is a difference in the way the 2 characters are drawn but take a look at this:

Also, you cant see the ears very clearly but i can make out something that looks like an earring.
Maybe he's Lafitte's father....
Both his appearance and composure feels very different from Lafitte.

Plus, the marines know Lafitte's backstory. In that same page you linked to, it says he was an infamous policeman from the west...not that he was a member of WB's crew.

Splash!
Thu, 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM
They know his backstory up to a certain point. They clearly weren't aware that he is now a pirate. Also, this flashback is not that far into the past.

Edit:
Response to below: The hand thing isn't even something I noticed until StillAlive posted that link. Seriously, nobody else sees it? The hat, the nose, the open collar?

The Chancellor
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:14 PM

Also, you cant see the ears very clearly but i can make out something that looks like an earring. The only similarity there (that he is clearly using to fuck with you guys and create another stupid theory) is the hand movements.

this new guy:

- has too big of a chin
- why would he shave?
- unless Oda reveals it later on, and he actually was a WB member why would he choose to leave with blackbeard when he made his own crew?

Assertn
Thu, 07-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Ah...here's something I just now noticed...
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/04-05/

The Lafitte impersonator is on the ship in the second frame from the top right as WB does his quake move against the WG.

Splash!
Fri, 07-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Aha, good eye. I guess that isn't Lafitte but a division captain. Still, I don't know why but they do look similar in those two pictures.

toonice714
Fri, 07-31-2009, 12:23 AM
i love one piece! aside from the great plot there's a where's waldo factor in it

The Chancellor
Fri, 07-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Ah...here's something I just now noticed...
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/552/04-05/

The Lafitte impersonator is on the ship in the second frame from the top right as WB does his quake move against the WG. Nice catch. Also, on a related note. Is it me or does that look like a mini Moria next to him? I swear it looks like Gecko Moria.

poopdeville
Fri, 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM
They know his backstory up to a certain point. They clearly weren't aware that he is now a pirate. Also, this flashback is not that far into the past.

Edit:
Response to below: The hand thing isn't even something I noticed until StillAlive posted that link. Seriously, nobody else sees it? The hat, the nose, the open collar?

I see the similarity (and agreed with you at first), but the new guy actually looks like a cross between Bon~chan and Lafitte (which means nothing, plotwise, unless the new guy was born on Kamakura Island...)

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/b/ba/Mr._2_bon_kurei.JPG

Assertn
Fri, 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Nice catch. Also, on a related note. Is it me or does that look like a mini Moria next to him? I swear it looks like Gecko Moria.
I was thinking he looked like Pickles of the foxy pirates.

The Chancellor
Fri, 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I was thinking he looked like Pickles of the foxy pirates. Nah, totally a mini moria. If anything, the moria post the shadow buffet he gave himself to fight luffy. A little on the hefty side if you know what I mean.