PDA

View Full Version : TV: Stargate Universe

Penner
Sun, 07-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Trailer for Stargate Universe (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/07/first-look-stargate-universe-trailer.html)

Too much fucking "teenage drama" and whatnot..

This will never be as superbly awesome as SG-1, but i'll still be watching this as i love all things Sci-Fi, and i like the whole concept of the Stargate.

Also because i like Lou Diamond Phillips, and Robert Carlyle is awesome.

Vegechan
Sat, 08-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I loved SG-1, and what few episodes of Atlantis I've seen have been good. I've seen every episode of SG-1, and even like the last couple seasons that concerns the Ori. Sadly, I missed so much of Atlantis, and have been meaning to catch up on that, because I know some people even prefer it over SG-1.

I have mixed feelings about Universe. I remember reading up on it, and seeing the one teaser before, and it sounded like a great concept. One of my favorite Star Trek series is Voyager, and it sounded like it was going to be very similar to that. Focus more on survival, individual crew relationships, and see even more new exciting things being so out in deep space. In interviews, producers and directors talked about how this will be a MUCH darker show than SG-1 and Atlantis, and major characters die in the first 6 episodes (Note: I don't think they mean any SG-1/Atlantis characters ,but important established characters in this Universe.)

This trailer though... introduces elements that confuse me. The darker elements certainly are there... but why does the government basically kidnap all of these civilians, including children and teenagers? I mean, the opening was just so... eh...

I'm looking forward to this series. I have full confidence that it will be another great Science Fiction series, and felt odd not having a Stargate series running.

Now someone just needs to make a new Star Trek series... Honestly, it's odd not having one running :-\

Also, sort of related, I remember reading an article last year, when SciFi announced the Stargate SG-1 direct to DVD movies, that the creator of the original Stargate movie wanted to make 2 more. I guess the SG-1 universe wasn't where he wanted the story to go, and he wants to continue the story like he wanted to. It would be weird seeing two continuities like that, but I'm really curious to see what the original creator wanted to do with it. SG-1 is an interesting example of someone taking a creative idea, and evolving it into something more. I laugh when many people say that any previous franchise would be tarnished if someone else took the reigns, when things like SG-1 exist.

Inazuma
Sat, 08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Stargate Galactica Bollywood

David75
Sat, 08-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I think I've seen all of SG-1
I think I've watched S1,S2 and S3 for atlantis. was nice, but for some reason I lost interrest.
Maybe because they were recycling eps ideas from SG-1 and other sci-fi shows.

I've seen the movie in a theater when it was out in 1995 in France. To me the focus was a lot more on people, different cultures and sharing with mankind, any place they live.
SG-1 was a lot more army centered than the movie was (at least this impression remains, eventhough the setting was still an army base and the will to destroy a planet that might be dangerous to earth)

I wonder what SGU will give, and I wonder what the director with the original movie can come-up with if he ever makes it to a sequel.

Regarding the trailer:
Civilians? maybe they had a base show where civilians are invited. Sudden attack or danger, they chose to evacuate through the gate, some problem send them far away.
Why would they show such a base?
Because if the gate is inactive or slightly hidden, no one would guess what this is.

I'm more concerned with your average late teenager geek getting involved and even getting a lead...

Assassin
Sun, 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I just finished watching the first ep...i had my doubts about the show, but i thorougly enjoyed the first (and second) episodes. It could just be because they were written by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, but the show has atleast earned the a second and third look in my opinion.

Penner
Mon, 10-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Indeed, it was a little better than i thought it would be, i liked Eli, and ofc Carlyle is great as Dr. Rush. Also looking forward to seeing more of Lou Diamond Phillips as he didnt really have much screentime in this ep.

However, Ming-Na's character seems really annoying, as does the chick who's dad sacrificed himself.

But i guess thats a necessary evil, annoying people makes the awesome people seem even more awesome in comparison :P

All in all, we're off to a good start.

Logrus
Mon, 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Great show, dident feel the need to fast forward anything :D

But what makes me confused now is they said tehy would concetrate more on space battles and the only ship in (aaalllooootttt of range) is broken :S

Penner
Mon, 10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
This was just the first ep, they still have plenty of time to dish out some awesome spacewars ;D

Assassin
Mon, 10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
hmm, space battles eh? i was hoping they'd gear this more towards the original SG-1 story line, with the crew exploring planets in other galaxies, meeting new races, finding new technology. That's what made the original so great and set it apart from all the other space based sci-fi shows.

It's also the reason, in my opinion, why Atlantis didn't last as long. It was just another sci-fi show with space ships and evil aliens and photon torpedoes. But hopefully, they'll deliver something new and fresh to keep the old viewers watching and take in new viewers as well.

Archangel
Wed, 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
I loved sg-1, never got to watch atlantis because it didn't air in my country. Do you guys think i'd enjoy this adaptation too?

Penner
Wed, 10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Wut, you never watched atlantis? You should totally download it and have a look.

You'll probably like SG:U, i sure did ^^

I loved sg-1

It was truly awesome.

Archangel
Wed, 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
It was truly awesome.

Well the last season was kinda meh, i missed MacGyver :(

Inazuma
Thu, 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM
MacGyver, Daniel Jackson, Teal'c ... the cast made SG1 and we miss them.

SG1 was great mainly because of the actors. The pitch was good but not exceptionnal.
SGA had it tough with it's cast and I think SGU wont be good untill they balance their character properly. Especially the Gamer Kid together with the daughter of the unlikeable scenator yet hero.
Now two things,
Give the "Survivors-that-got-no-hope-of-rescue-and-stuck-in-hostile-unknown-environnement" an enemy. You can call that the Lost approach(in space this time), if no intelligent lifeform declares itself hostile, it would be more of a resident evil approach ... but whatever, don't think SGU has the skill for either approach again, mediocre actors and so-so writing.

I loved SG1, I still think it was truly awesome, and ahead of it's time. But, SGU is not good enough and I hate it for having so much potential and doing nothing with it.

Make it better, or disappear.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM
The opening episode wasnt as epic a first episode as I had hoped it would be. All those scientists and they can't figure out a way to repair the ship.

Hopefully the next episode is better.

In the 2 years it took to put this together, was hoping for something with a little more explanation. Half the movie was flash backs to how they got on the ship, which could have been done without the need of the flash backs.

I'm call this show Battlestar Galactica Ver 2.1.

Logrus
Thu, 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
The opening episode wasnt as epic a first episode as I had hoped it would be. All those scientists and they can't figure out a way to repair the ship.

First off with what parts? they can make things out of air.

Second they did figure how to fix the AC but as before the parts needed wheren't around

But yeah not as good starter as the others

Assassin
Fri, 10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
i liked the start...the whole epic intro thing is a bit cliche, and after all, this isn't SG1, so an epic into would most likely have failed to live up to expectations regardless.

Archangel
Sun, 10-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't get it, what was that pod in the ending? Someone escaped?

Inazuma
Sun, 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM
The fuck ?
I rewatched the end of the ep because of you. And yes, a pod ?
Confusing at most, definetely not making a good Cliffhanger or plot point.

Penner
Sun, 10-11-2009, 09:40 AM
It might have been the pod where the father/senator or whatnot died, and now that they got the life support and shit fixed, they decided to send the broken pod thing out into space with his body in it like some sort of viking funeral, or they just ditched it because it was just that, broken.

Or its just some other pod that got functional when they used that canister of white liquid, and now they have a exploring-type shuttle they can use.

Archangel
Sun, 10-11-2009, 10:33 AM
It might have been the pod where the father/senator or whatnot died, and now that they got the life support and shit fixed, they decided to send the broken pod thing out into space with his body in it like some sort of viking funeral, or they just ditched it because it was just that, broken.

Or its just some other pod that got functional when they used that canister of white liquid, and now they have a exploring-type shuttle they can use.

If it had been any of those things they would have explained it as opposed to just slapping it there in the ending for funsies

Penner
Sun, 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
They don't really need to explain stuff that happens at the very last seconds of the ep in that same ep, if something weird happens by then you kinda assume they will explain it in the next one ;P

Archangel
Sun, 10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes but by not even mentioning it some people actually missed it like Inazuma. If they're trying to create expectations for the next episode they should have addressed it further

Penner
Sun, 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
People are bound to miss things every now and then, the shows creators can't start making everything painfully obvious just because some people might miss it, its not their fault if parts of the audience aint paying enough attention and misses some stuff.

And quite frankly that particular scene wasnt exactly hidden or disguised in any way, it was pretty hard not to see it.

Plus that shuttle thing might be part of some mystery, like an alien lifeform that was already on the ship, or the ship itself took control of the shuttle, whatever, if it is intended as a mystery that might also be the reason why they chose not to explain it right away -.-

Shadow Skill
Mon, 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Was that a pod? Not a stargate going to it's next destination? :P

Who knows, might have been the dead Senator. I wish they could have explained what happened to those 2 scientists who went to the other planet.

Archangel
Wed, 10-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I bet they're gonna find out the thing is solar powered in the next episode :p

And still no mentioning of that shuttle from the last episode

Inazuma
Wed, 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Open plot point
Leave previous plot entry unsolved and/or not mentionned
Make next plot point obvious
Screw the plot up
Solve it with previous unsolved plot entry using crappy Deus Ex Machina
?????
Profit !

Logrus
Fri, 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM

And still no mentioning of that shuttle from the last episode

AHAHHAHA Yeah that sounds like a typical SG twist.

Maybe it will even absorb the entire star

Archangel
Sun, 10-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Inorite?

Logrus
Sun, 10-25-2009, 01:59 PM
hahahah yeah you were spot on there.

Though thought for a second that they were going to cut the others from the series and the Shuttle people would be the new cast. Lucky they dident do that since those who would survived suck.

Penner
Sun, 10-25-2009, 03:07 PM
The way Rush acted when asked if he knew the ship would be fine made it seem like he did indeed know, but if so, that would mean he had to have fake/act everything up to that point, and if he did that he's got some serious skill at deceiving people.

Also, when he realized that the shield generator (or whatever that thing was he looked at) would get power from the sun i got the impression that he did not know that beforehand.

Tho he might have had some form of idea or theory that it was a slight possibility, but decided not to share that info with the rest of the crew to avoid causing unnecessary commotion before it got confirmed, and he couldnt really confirm it until they were close enough to the sun that if it didnt work, they would have died anyway.

Just venting some thoughts ^_^ (also, nice catch on the solar power theory Archie)

Death13a
Sun, 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Rush had a hunch that Destiny would survive as it traveled thousands of years, sure it would need to refuel power somehow. Rush is a loner and anyone who would have thought about it would have that hunch as well. Only Rush And Eli didn't panicked (i wonder did he also had a hunch that ship wasn't suicidal). I hope he becomes Rush's equal at some because Rush will lose it as he doesn't talk to anyone other then Colonel Young and he doesn't like him very much. Eli also doesn't have anything on Earth to hold him back and content to stay on ship.

Penner
Thu, 10-29-2009, 02:02 AM
Robert Carlyle talks 'Stargate: Universe' (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/robert-carlyle-talks-stargate-universe.html)

Archangel
Sat, 10-31-2009, 02:27 PM
First one down, 100+ to go

I think 70 of them are canon fooder anyway

David75
Sat, 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Anyone knows where I can get HD eps for SGU, in english of course. Heavy GB files are not a problem, I even prefer those.

I tried mininova, but 3 first eps aren't available with high bitrates. So if someone has a good source, thanks for sharing.

Archangel
Sat, 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Just look around in pirate bay, they have HD versions of each ep too

Death13a
Sun, 11-01-2009, 01:36 AM
eztv.it for all your recent episodes needs.
http://eztv.it/shows/326/stargate-universe/

David75
Sun, 11-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Just look around in pirate bay, they have HD versions of each ep too

Didn't think about them, they've got heavy russian versions in mkv, so I just have to switch subs off and enjoy 1080p.

Thanks a lot.

eztv.it for all your recent episodes needs.
http://eztv.it/shows/326/stargate-universe/

Thanks for the link, I'll try to remember it for other shows.

Edit:
I've been catching up watching all 6 eps.
Music, ligthing and documentary like filming is fine, you get some atmosphere and tension.
The closed space is nice too.
Sadly, episodes problems to solve are a bit too easy to read, like the Destiny headed to a sun for power replenishing or the way they got rid of the water hungry entities.

Also, for some reason, I do not find anything breathtaking or interrest or suspens. It lacks something I can't really describe.

I'll probably keep watching this for a couple of eps, but they really need to find a way out of that pitch black plot. After all, should reality kick in, they'd be dead by now, so they could at least take out some "fabricated" angst and start opening some doors towards a little more hope.

Also, Scott is really a badly cast name, it always activates my "Star-Trek original" neurons every time he radioes...

David75
Sat, 11-07-2009, 05:06 AM
I guess some of you have seem ep 7.

If not, even If I can talk about the ep, be aware that below statements will probably spoil things if you haven't watched the ep yet.

So, that ep was a lot less appealing than the rest. But at least it clearly draw boundaries beetween the crew on the lost ship and the earth.

The orgasm switch was mean, I also hope Young's wife is serious about contraception, because no matter how you look at it, she's doing it with somebody else, and I mean body....
Telford coming back to her is not a good thing, he might use her against Young, and she might already be attached to his body.

It's time our geek starts being genius and fights Rush back.

Logrus
Sat, 11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Really fight back Rush? He is the only one in the show i like lol :)

He smart devious and unpredictable. Plus he wants to stay at the ship it seems wich i agree no point dragging them back to earth.

Liked how the episodes ended it seems the latino guy is an ass btw if he is about to do what i think he will.

Penner
Sun, 11-08-2009, 07:03 AM
I do like a bunch of the characters, Eli and Young particularly, but Rush is by far my favorite on the show ^^

Yeah, since they kinda tricked Telford from becoming commander on the ship and probably hurt his pride or whatnot, he might just go to Young's wife and simply say that he is Young and sleep with her to mess up his marriage, if hes good enough at deception to pull it off.

David75
Sun, 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM
I do like a bunch of the characters, Eli and Young particularly, but Rush is by far my favorite on the show ^^

Yeah, since they kinda tricked Telford from becoming commander on the ship and probably hurt his pride or whatnot, he might just go to Young's wife and simply say that he is Young and sleep with her to mess up his marriage, if hes good enough at deception to pull it off.

For some reason, I think they already nutured their relationship, explaining why she was ready for sex.
After all, even if you buy the fact that the mind is her husband's, being able to have sex with another body is many steps higher.

I do not really have any favorite character yet. I still think they are way below their potential. I don't know why, maybe because the show is so young.

David75
Sat, 11-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Summary for EP8:
Weak scenario, angst, dark.

I really hope they start making something new out of this show.

I wonder if some of you already dropped it.

Penner
Sat, 11-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I love all things Stargate, so much so that i'll keep watching this until the end!

Lucifus
Sat, 11-14-2009, 05:22 PM
This series thus far has been remarkably weak.
Perhaps even less entertaining than Atlantis.....

What on earth convinced these writers to do away with the gold that was SG-1?

Penner
Sat, 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
What on earth convinced these writers to do away with the gold that was SG-1?

That i completely agree with.

Archangel
Sat, 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Lol, it's pretty funny to watch the twists and turns they have to come up with since they have a limited supply of canon fooder

Inazuma
Sun, 11-15-2009, 06:52 AM
This show can't surprise me, the plot are obvious, and/or reused.
We need firefights, good lines, humor, unpredictable twists, alien tech whoopas guns, ....

Not just survivor in space.

David75
Sun, 11-15-2009, 07:18 AM
I also had a problem with Rush's reason for choosing the path of Destiny. It seems he was seeking ascension.
But why in the world would he choose the 9th chevron for that, when in SG1 we've had eps covering that and even found a planet with everything needed to escalate the last few steps to ascension.
He has documents, mission reports and so on. So why?

I even think he knew about Destiny, probably its old age and purpose.
Destiny is so old that the Ancients didn't even care about it anymore, having evolved so much they did not care for that old debris... and ascended in the while as it has been stated in a previous ep, making the goal of the debris uninterresting.

For some reason, the authors cornered themselves and clearly stated that... or they have something up their sleeves, but they'd better be quick.

I was wondering how good the ratings are for the show, especially the last 3 eps, compared to the premiere.

David75
Sat, 11-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Some character depth this week, more interresting societal problems and interactions.
It's very important to immerse into any fiction world.

Eventhough it shouldn't be my prefered ep, because it's "only" a mandatory technical episode, it was decent and nice. It had a touch of its own, clearly drawing the line beetween SGU and SG-1/SGA.
I hope then can start from there and create breathtaking and mind blowing eps.

Archangel
Sat, 12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Seems fairly obvious that Rush will come back eventually one way or the other, probably via that alien ship

The commander is definitely not the leading type, the guy is a fucking psycho

Logrus
Sat, 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Was thinking the same. That alien ship probably has a hyperdriver faster then FTL (what does that stand for btw?).

Im still confused as to the direction of the show since i heard they wanted to focus on space battles but so far its been sci-fi Survivor :(

Assassin
Sat, 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
FTL = Faster Than Light

Yes, its obvious Rush will come back, and i hope he brings some alien tech with him. Stargate is not Stargate without kool alien technology and stuff.

I can't believe a show where you have the crew stuck on an alien ship exploring the universe has so little universe exploration in it. We need less human drama and more sci-fi.

Penner
Sat, 12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah! Now i want to see Rush going all survivorman on that planet and fix that ship up and eventually meet up with the other ship and shove that in their faces, but i fear that we might not even get to see any more of Rush until he appears as a surprise in some future episode, and then we might get to see what happened to him in flashback form...

But i hope we get to see what he does, either in every episode or they can alternate between one ep about the crew then one about Rush and his antics ^_^

David75
Sun, 12-13-2009, 03:36 AM
Episode 11 is to be aired in April 2010 from what SyFy tells.

That's a hell of a long wait... :mad:
There are some mild spoilers about what's to come, but as it's in line with what the show should be (and have not yet started to show...), I wouldn't really call that spoilers.

Archangel
Sun, 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM
I wouldn't care that much if the show got canceled even before that... so far this has just been another textbook science fiction show trying to ride the tail of the original SG-1

Penner
Mon, 12-14-2009, 01:25 AM
SyFy Renews Stargate Universe and Sanctuary (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/12/syfy-renews-stargate-universe-sanctuary-season-second-.html)

Since i watch, and like, both shows, my reaction to reading that title was 'Fuck yes"

Tho i don't have time to read the actual article itself at the moment, gotta go to work, *siiigh*

Kusanagi
Wed, 04-07-2010, 12:21 AM
SGU is back and a new episode is out. I liked it and even though its a TV show, it was DAMN convenient how Rush came back. Had a couple of funny lines in the beginning and the end was nice too.

Assassin
Wed, 04-07-2010, 12:47 AM
The ep overall wasn't too bad, but there were some fairly lame parts as you mentioned.....but what annoys me the most is the idiotic character dialogue and reactions. Namely the asian chicks accusation that the colonel fucked with the communication stones on purpose to keep her from making her report. Are we really expected to believe that she is so incredibly stupid as to not realize he couldn't have 'planned' on making the person who took over his body act crazy?

I know the writers are better then this, and making a serious space drama while having such weak, one dimensional characters will only hurt the show......Dont fuck with my SG you assholes.

David75
Mon, 04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Eliminate Rush press 1
Eliminate Young press 2

This is becoming more and more a sci-fi revamped version of Survivor.

Even the new race was underwhelming. I wish they were smarter as their technological development would suggest.

Archangel
Mon, 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm dropping this, the character's are all so damn flawed and the whole concept is idiotic

Lucifus
Mon, 04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
This shows shyt.

Utterly ridiculous setup they're trying to pull off.

And wtf is up with the music?

Assassin
Tue, 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Im trying to take it for what it is....this ep wasn't as bad as the previous one. At the very least i liked the military guys bitch slapping the civilians in the face by walking in on them completely unawares.

And i agree the aliens are whack.

David75
Sun, 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Oh I miss simple yet enjoyable eps/arcs like the Aschen or the Genii (particularly Kolya eps).

I'm still following this, in the hopes of a future gem found in one or more eps. Faith was not that bad, only very standard for stargate franchise. Ep14 only strenght is that we have people stranded on a planet and Destiny back to FTL letting those people -key ones in the show- alone there. Oh and Daniel Jackson, but don't get too excited about it.

It's not like it never happened in the stargate franchise... and it even happened with Rush, so please do something about ideas, scenarii or something.
SG1 budget and special effects were crap most of the time in the begining, a tad better in the long run, but they had nice stories once in a while, good ideas and action in other eps.
Atlantis had that too.

With SGU, the story telling we have is only place in a sci-fi context, but isn't that much action or sci-fi. We do not even see the gate that much, which is a bit lame considering this is StarGate franchise.

Assassin
Sun, 04-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I dont so much mind the less Gating, but i would like them to start exploring more alien planets and civilizations, since it premise is that they're lost in the universe and planet hopping essentially.

This ep wasn't too bad, and as you said, i like that they left some main characters behind instead of wrapping it up in 45 min. Im hoping as the show goes on, it'll get better and better. My only real problem with the show is that the character interactions, in particular their interpersonal conflicts, are so bad. The writers it seems aren't capable of writing drama just yet.

David75
Sun, 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Your less Gating comment made me realize that even atlantis did less of that and the gate was more of a common tool, than the main thing of the show.
And it also made me want to see at least one ep when we actully see the Ancients placing gates or creating the network. Now that would be a big added value from SGU, Destiny probably has footage of that time and it would be totally possible to have one of the SGU members experiencing it with the chair.
But since they need so much time just to get a hint to a possible way to enter the database, I doubt it would happen.
Destiny predates by far the Atlantis ship and any Ancient tech the SG franchise has explored yet. I'm very disapointed they were not able to enter the DB after so much time, I seem to remember they were quicker on Atlantis.

Assassin
Sat, 05-08-2010, 03:05 PM
another decent episode. at first i thought the comatose engineer was going to be put in cryostasis and become the permanent "chair guy", but guess thats not the case. Wonder what happened to him

David75
Sun, 05-09-2010, 12:28 AM
I follow you on that one, it get a tad better at last.

The stone system no longer was a means of fucking a stranger legitimately... even if the will to do it was strong. I guess the thing makes you so horny that the "Hey, I'm your pal but transfered into someone else's body" blattant lie isn't a problem anymore.
Still, swapping with a disabled, strongly at that, was a touching story in a way. Probably an easy way to squeeze some emotion from the audience, but still a nice idea opening nice reflexions.

Regarding the aliens, well they can hack the stone system when they do not even have the device, but they can't hack the stargate network... yeah right, eventhough mere humans did hack that network years ago with less than advanced tech.
And they really suck at taking the ship too. I understand they are here for the 5 minutes of angst needed to remind the audience that this is not just a "The Love Boat" rehash, but man have them a little stronger.

Assassin
Sun, 05-09-2010, 01:43 AM
what do you mean by 'they cant hack the stargate network'?

and im still a little confused on how the whole sabotage alien swap thing happened. i gotta agree though, everybody is a little too comfortable with the body swap sex.

David75
Sun, 05-09-2010, 02:11 AM
what do you mean by 'they cant hack the stargate network'?

and im still a little confused on how the whole sabotage alien swap thing happened. i gotta agree though, everybody is a little too comfortable with the body swap sex.

Eli's comment about how the aliens do not have a dialing device.
In the Stargate world, hacking the stone device was at least on par with hacking the gate network (ie having your own dialing device, not just steal it from somewhere).

Here we have aliens able to hack the "stone protocol" without even having the device, I wonder why eventhough they have plenty of stargates and they had lots of connections from stargates to Destiny, they are not able to hack the stargate network too.

You could argue that the stargate "protocol" can only be accessed when a connection beetween Destiny and another gate is active, which is only some minutes as opposed to the stone device that is connected for days (and even weeks). But they still have lots of gates available they can play with.

David75
Sat, 05-15-2010, 07:29 AM
You can all discard ep17, rightfully named "Pain" since it's such a pain to watch such a useless ep at this point in a show that fails at being entertaining.

Going back to my previous comment about the blue aliens:
Maybe they aren't stupid at all, I was commenting that way with the idea they are hostile.
But maybe they aren't at all, maybe they need Destiny for positive reasons (save their world, find a way back home or anything).
After all, except some very weak attacks, we have no definitive proof of strong agression against Destiny or the crew.
Their looks might just be the opposite of their intentions.

But maybe I read too much into it.

Assassin
Sat, 05-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Ya this one was pretty useless.....drama for the sake of drama and no real plot progression. Why is this show such a hit and miss?

Lucifus
Sat, 05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
They had somewhat redeemed themselves with the last three episodes; which proved to be at least somewhat entertaining, least to me.

But then they had to go and f*ck it up. Why was this episode even aired? Pointless...

Logrus
Tue, 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Can someone just explain to me how the fat kid, Scott and the 14 year old girl came back to the ship after it jumped out into a new galaxy?

David75
Tue, 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Can someone just explain to me how the fat kid, Scott and the 14 year old girl came back to the ship after it jumped out into a new galaxy?

You wish to be spoiled?

Really?

The blue Aliens hacked the stone device and were able to sabotage one of the many 'propellers' of Destiny, having it out of FTL.

At that moment, they were still in range from the planet where the stranded were, so it Destiny showed up on the geeks PSP and they dialed the gate.

If Destiny had not been stopped, no dialing possible during FTL and no dialing possible at arrival because out of range. Unless you can build a zpm, hack the dialing gate to use that surge of power and you are able to calculate the needed parameters to find Destiny's gate coordinates in another galaxy. Of course the 3 are not able to do so. So the sabotage idea was easier for the scenario.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
I came to the conclusion that the point of last weeks ep was to show off Lt. James with her hair down and in her underwear for the guys and to show Lt. Scott with his shirt off for the ladies. Everything else was pretty much a rehash of what we already knew.

Assassin
Fri, 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
She does have a very fine rack though.

Edit:

And after last weeks shitty ep, we have another good one. I wish the producers would stop teasing me like this.

I like the new angle though....now we have two outside threats. well technically one outside threat and one inside threat since the alliance can gate right in. Interesting to see how this plays out.

Penner
Sat, 05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah this latest ep was great, and it was sooo nice to see O'Neill and Jackson again, i really hope they show Teal'c in the future, even if its just a brief cameo it would still be awesome ;D

David75
Sat, 05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah this latest ep was great, and it was sooo nice to see O'Neill and Jackson again, i really hope they show Teal'c in the future, even if its just a brief cameo it would still be awesome ;D

"Indeed"

That's another nice use of the stones we've had.

Also that ep re-roots SGU deeply in the Stargate franchise/basics, which was almost mandatory after so many weeks of BigBrother*Survivor

I wonder who will be sent to Destiny -other than Telford's body-
I can't see anyone too proeminent from SG1 or SGA, so I wonder which side character would make sense in such a predicament.

On a side note, this was pure win for Young to be able to strike at Rush and Telford at the same time on so many levels. I'm sure it was a little more than 50% in the motivation in accepting this :D

David75
Sat, 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Lame episode, no really.

Of course the Lucian alliance got the intel about Destiny, but finding a device that is able to open Destiny's doors even when fully locked is the lamest idea ever.
I mean they have to have the right technology elements, for the right time period in the ancient history, know how to use it and then have actual working gates to try the devices.
So they probably found some place with doors they had to force that way?

Then how come they still need rush to dial the 9th chevron, the only thing they know is how to open doors?

Then there's Young actions. He has had a very good timing when venting the atmosphere for Telford in Rush"s mind. So why does he even hesitate when the stargate is shut, just do the same thing, idiot!
And Yes, Daddy O'Neil had to spank you for that, Carter had the same decision to make and did.

Elli and Chloe, I don't care. Really.
Only it's just lame they discover new places in the ship when they could have done it first thing arriving in the ship (well right after being able to sustain themselves food and water wise)
Rush seems to have had control over life support and gates weeks ago and his "assistants" can deal with that. So it's not a bad idea to send teams, remotely monitored, activating life support only where and when needed and carefuly using doors.
Seems like Elli found some kind of elevator or device enabling them to move fast inside the ship beetween 2 points. That's not a light discovery, is it?

I'm afraid next 5 eps after the attack, we'll have other eps for the integration of the lucian members so that everyone living on board Destiny work towards the same goal, with many more hate and love as we've had an overload up to now.

Regarding the guy that burns to ashes, I'm still wondering what happened. They do not seem to be stopped near a solar system or any stellar object that could fire high energy waves and I would find it strange it comes from a Destiny broken energy link or similar.
Still seems like the shield is not working properly and light is stronger, so the stellar object isn't out of the loop yet?

Then there's the fact that the countdown isn't activated yet. Should I think they are near a super massive Stellar Object (again) and Destiny does not have the resources to escape its gravity yet... and everyone will have to find a truce to cooperatively find a solution?
A good candidate could be a super-massive Quasar....

Penner
Sat, 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Aye that dude burning up is interesting, maybe the shield malfunctioning amplifies light/solar rays(if there is a sun present that is) but it probably has something to do with the reason Destiny hasn't started its FTL countdown yet, and i'm curious what that might be.

I would have vented the air from the gateroom as soon as all the Lucian people had entered and the gate was shut down..

I don't mind the Eli/Chloe "side mission" at all, and Eli is one of my favourite's on the show :P, and i also hope Telford comes out of this alive because i dig Lou Diamond Phillips, but i doubt he'll live that long..

Assassin
Mon, 06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
i think the the burning light was that scientist who disappeared into the chair. Im pretty sure he's the cause of the ftl 'failure' as well.

As for Telford, i think he'll end up sacrificing himself at the end of the season to finish this lucian alliance business.....its predictable and cliche, but i dont like him so i dont mind.

David75
Mon, 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
i think the the burning light was that scientist who disappeared into the chair. Im pretty sure he's the cause of the ftl 'failure' as well.

As for Telford, i think he'll end up sacrificing himself at the end of the season to finish this lucian alliance business.....its predictable and cliche, but i dont like him so i dont mind.

Other than the stargate, it doesn't seem like the ancient managed rings or teleportation devices when Destiny was built. But we do not know for sure. Teleportation would explain how Eli and Chloe already are almost at the front of the ship, when it doesn't seem like they used a moving cabin.

The question is where he is, and why he only acts now.
I just hope they will not tell us his body has been vaporised and his mind transfered into Destiny's system...

David75
Sat, 06-12-2010, 04:22 AM
I was damn right about the Pulsar.
First time in a while I was able to pinpoint something.
It was easy though, since we've had star bursts, black holes and many other things.

Hopefully for them, they were not in the firing zone of a massive Blazar, or they would have been killed immediately.

I'm also a bit surprised the ancient didn't insert a delay for such occurences in the procedures for the ship's gate. Of course when just built, Destiny was able to easilly cope with a Pulsar or probably even the firing zone of a Blazar. But usually you try to think of worst case scenario. Here the idea would be: what about a ship that is at its limits, with just enough for life support and a connection to the gate happens and will stop the ship near a lethal celestial object?
Since FTL is so fast, a delay of about a milisecond would probably be sufficient to have the ship out of the danger zone. Yet, they are exactly where they shouldn't with the ship's condition.
Of course it's great for drama, so I guess we can't complain that much.

Regarding the rest of the ep, building of a massive cliffhanger for the end of the season, nothing I could'nt really expect.

So now, given what we've seen till now, the only way out of the crisis are the blue aliens. That's what I thought when watching the ep and it would fit with my idea they are not hostile at all. Might be a weak idea though.

Well, now we'll have to wait for season 2 premiere this fall (I've seen no trace of a precise air date)

Penner
Sat, 06-12-2010, 08:52 AM
I liked the episode alot, and Rhona Mitra is excellent as Commander Kiva.

I also just now realized where i recognized "Eli" from, he was in Ugly Betty, i think he dated the gay assistant..

And the guy playing Kiva's second in command Varro played a "tracker" (like Ronon) that was hunted by Wraith's in Stargate Atlantis.

Edit: All i could get from IMDB/Wiki is that Season 2 starts in October 2010

Also from Wikipedia is this:

According to Brad Wright, the show will "hopefully explor[e] the truly alien, and [avoid] the rubber faced English-speaking one[s]". There will be aliens, but not a single dominant villain race like SG-1's Goa'uld and Atlantis' Wraith.

I bolded the part that i found most interesting :P

David75
Sat, 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Varro already was a villain in the stargate franchise.
I don't know if you remember that episode of season 9 or 10 with Vala and Mitchel at his Highschool prom meeting.

Regarding the multirace comment, they had a horribly slow start on that front right now.

By the way, for some reason I always assumed Destiny was a one and only ship, maybe because it was said in the show.
It could be amusing that it's in fact one of many others. After all 9 chevrons enable a huge number of adresses and it would be strange to have only one ship exploring the vast universe. Thing is, it could be the last one still alive...

Assassin
Sat, 06-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Thats an interesting point, and it would be kool to have them discover a sister ship later in the season....if such a thing exists. Alternatively, they can maybe catch up to one of the gate building ships.

As for the episode, it had a lot of thrills and edge of your seat drama. I still hate the asian chick (Ray?)....its like her sole purpose is to be a pms-ing whore who just fucks shit up and doesn't realize she's wrong all the time. Her only saving grace is that shes a lesbian.

One other thing i liked, was the fight scene where one of the military personnel does a 360 with an uzi. It was good to see a choreographed fight like that...it adds to the realism since you would expect military personnel to be trained in some forms of martial arts. I hate when you have military tough guys having a bar fight like any joe blow.

David75
Sat, 06-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, the "Destiny class" ship idea was totally out of the blue on my part. It would probably just diminish the core plot power.
It's just that having only one ship for an entire race and for all of the universe seems a bit short.
That idea had me thinking about others:
What is the real purpose of the gate system?
The ancients send automated ships that build gates in galaxies they will never visit ever.
Destiny goes through those galaxies
Destiny was built by the ancients to find a way to ascend, or at least evolve.

In a previous season, there was a problem with earth's gate and Teal'c was stuck in the gate's buffer and would have been erased should anyone dial in or out. We were told then that the gate buffers anything in and out for transfers. But we were never told they do not store stats or data about transfers, organisms, materials, energies... After all ascended ancients can use gates too.

My guess is that gates can monitor anything traveling through the network, and Destiny harvests data from the network. Before jumping to another galaxy, Destiny can choose a galaxy with interresting data.
That way, after many centuries, ancients bording Destiny would have found lots of data about the inhabitants of the universe and potentially more advanced civilisations. Eventhough one could argue such an advanced race could just refuse to use the gate system, avoid it, prevent it from installing itself in their region (which is probably an even better signature of an advanced civilisation)

Regarding the ship itself, the new views we had this week shows us how huge it is.
I have other remarks regarding that.
First is, every time teams roam around the ship, they almost never go up or down. Intriguing as at the back the ship seems extremely high. The gate system seems to be near the center of gravity, more to the rear, maybe one third from the total length, so they should have to climb stairs or similar function means.

Another point is that this ship isn't compact at all. It's design, like a spike is a bit strange for a ship, even more so when it has to cope with massive gravity fields as it has to enter star coronas to refuel.
It's also a design that is less resistant to inertial constraints, less efficient against radiations, heat loss etc. The only reason to build it like this would be fluid dynamics. So that would explain that mist evolving around the ship at FTL? That design is due to the fact that the way it moves, at the speed it moves, it still meets enough resistance from particules that it needs to be "aerodynamic"
Then there are the consoles, I was quite surprised there are some in that part of the ship, more over one able to control all of the ship.

Last but not least, why only 2 shuttles on such a large ship? I know Destiny was not meant to be inhabited for a long time and the gate is enough to board or exit the ship, yet two shuttles seems a very small number.

Random questions again. After all, the ideas are so huge. A race that travels through all of the universe installing wormhole travelling gate systems and a ship visiting each of these system is an idea that defies imagination capabilities when you take numbers/sizes/distances into account.

Assassin
Thu, 09-30-2010, 04:59 PM
SGU is back for season two. I just finished watching the first episode, and i think it was pretty good. The at the previous season finale is resolved and some new plot lines are introduced. I like that they've brought back the star system building aliens, even if its just briefly. Seems like they'll have a part to play in this yet.

The one thing i dont get though is, were the aliens responsible for healing chloe's leg? or are we looking at something else?

Penner
Thu, 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
I just assumed it was something the aliens did to her when she got captured and held in the watertank thing on their ship.

Assassin
Thu, 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
hmm, ya that is a possibility....if thats the case, then we can expect something similar with rush, should the need ever arise.

David75
Fri, 10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Yup, I thought Chloe had some kind of "optimisation" .
Hard to tell why the aliens would do that though.

On one hand you could say that it's a way of helping humans survive by strenghthening them.
On the other hand, it's just messing with another living being biology without their consent when they also are a "civilised" race.

But all in all, I still think the blue ones might not have ill objectives. They have their agenda, but it might be inline with what SGU crew needs and they'll end up cooperating once the communication barrier is breached for good.
They were almost there...

David75
Fri, 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Rush always wanted to play Captain Kirk:
"Kirk to Enterprise"
No wait, he doesn't want the crew, he wants the ship all for himself.

I'm a little surprised Destiny's control room is so small compared to the shuttle's.
Also, It's very exposed, yet does not allow for 360° natural panoramic view at all.
And by contrast, it's a place very hard to find, hidden even, from inside the ship.

Another thing I mentionned before is that we never see anyone climbing steps, or using elevators or other similar means, when clearly the control room is in a very high structure. So I guess many other parts of the ship are in layers. That could give some dynamics to the camera movements from inside the ship and I'm surprised they never used that.

Other than that, the contents of the ep where the usual almost useless storylines placed to give some vibes so that a part of the audience remains watching.

I guess that what interested me are the reasons why Rush does not want to share Destiny with the rest of the crew... Or why Mankind should not get their hands on the Ship would be my real train of thoughts.

I guess that in months, with proper specialists, you could get full control of the ship and set course to the Milkyway and then Earth.
But what would Mankind do with the ship and its knowledge and technologies?
What is mankind doing with Atlantis, that is probably already on Earth in the San Fransisco Bay?

Once you ask this, I guess you can understand why for a scenarist a good option is to find lots of events and people preventing that from happening, as it takes time, create story and enables seasons to exist in the first place.

Assassin
Fri, 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
my question is, was rush hallucinating, or was the missing scientist actually communicating with him in some way?

David75
Sat, 10-09-2010, 12:48 AM
my question is, was rush hallucinating, or was the missing scientist actually communicating with him in some way?

Rush asked himself that one too. There's no answer we can really guess.
Because even if the shuttle hint was spot on, you could always say it was Rush's idea in the first place.

David75
Fri, 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM
So we get to see a new race.
Seems like they are a "NoKill" one, since they use stun energy guns.
We'll see wether they really are of the "NoKill" philosophy if we get a followup on Telford's predicament.

I'm a bit surprised that in the two races they get to see, both aren't ready to kill immediately.
But I guess it could be just because they need to get more intel on the living creatures that operate Destiny.

We also get to see a gate installer ship, that happens to be a dock for Destiny too.

Rush should not be able to hide his full control of the ship for much longer.

It's a bit hard to see where the show is going, because everything seems like a huge intro to something bigger. But boy we have to endure the painfully slow developments to get there.

David75
Fri, 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Eli character development has been stalling from the beginning, and it's starting to be uterly disapointing.
He's one of the top five members of the crew, yet appart from unlocking the ninth chevron and playing with the flying sphere cameras... he's useless! He's to be both a geek and a math genius.
I understand he didn't have any experience with ancient tech or any alien tech, as Rush did.
But he should be able to adapt in time, and he doesn't show any progress, doesn't get anything. And we already knew about everything displayed in that episode regarding his personality developments.

On the contrary, Chloe started with a very boring character type/synopsis but is slowly getting more and more interesting, even if with a now overused plot device in sci-fi shows.

Other than that, pretty boring ep, we already had a very similar scenario last year. The only thing it did is show that everyone moves on, on Desitny and on Earth too. And both places have their problems/shortcomings/fate...

David75
Fri, 10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Another totally useless episode, with an instantCupOfScenario overused over the years and that crappy "someone has the right blood, just transfer" pseudomedical solution that would kill in real life...

And there's really nothing added to the season/show. Only screentime.

Penner
Fri, 10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, i didn't like this ep at all.. seemed like some sort of filler crap -.-

David75
Sun, 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Episode 6 was better.
Not very good or the like.
But somewhat entertaining, or at least with meaning, progress, nice interaction with Destiny, and Eli isn't a virgin anymore... or so it seems. Seems he is useful too, at times, which wasn't that obvious up to now.

David75
Wed, 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Is that show finally getting into motion?

That has to be one of the longest show intro of all times... no seriously.

Thing is, with all that waiting, the core mission and the deck felt a tad to mediocre. But well, I guess that won't be the main focus as we've already had Star Trek and its many seasons. We do not need a main deck and a commander on a ship visiting many worlds with a motive.

The pre-BigBang signature thing, well at least they have a scientists staff. It might be related to a paper studying a very low magnectic field signature whose size, age and structure have scientists think it might indicate pre-bigbang phenomenons are responsible for it. At least that's what I understood from the vulgarised article I read at the time.

Now I can say I wait for more. Not that much for what will happen to Eli and Rush girlfriends with their lives at stake with that psycopath and their stone link implying they both die if one of them does...
Eli, isn't that hard to see you GF frenchkissing someone you do not like and could be your father :D

More about the alien interactions with the crew, the aliens interact in that part of the universe... and we know there are fights at a several galaxies range. Incredible if you ask me, because I tend to believe that once you achieve intergalactic travel, you should have a society that has evolved enough that it must have found a solution to eradicate war instincts along the way. But that's just what I believe. After all I can not even believe in aliens, since I've never met some.

Oh, and nice salvaging they've done, not even a little piece back to Destiny. Just Rush pushing all buttons to light all beacons and tell the aliens where they are. At times these geniuses have no sense or reality.

Well, as I said, I'll wait for next ep, and I hope it won't be a let down.

Penner
Wed, 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I would actually like it if Rush and Colonel Young started working together and became friends instead of constantly trying to fuck eachother over lol

David75
Thu, 11-11-2010, 12:45 AM
I would actually like it if Rush and Colonel Young started working together and became friends instead of constantly trying to fuck eachother over lol

Well, seems like they are on their way. After all it's hard understanding they've got feelings for each other, so they had to release their stress first :D

Penner
Wed, 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Hell yeah, this latest ep was fucking great!

David75
Wed, 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
The level has been better yes, although everything was so damn obvious.

Gin dead because she had sex with Eli:
Obvious.
I'd rather have had her being a wicked manipulator with that prison break guy as an underling. But I guess that the scenarist did prefer the obvious sex=death that is a really frequent outcome in shows.

The bait on the planet, eventhough we have highly trained marines:
Obvious.
It's actually a shame they even had to remind us they are highly trained marines.

Animals fear used as a weapon, even before seeing the C4:
Obvious.
Although earlier in the ep the "Do you think we can barbecue this" from Grier had me laugh.

Chloe finding a solution to the usual "OMG they are stranded on a planet" plot device:
Obvious.

I'm still waiting for something bigger, it's not even the apetizers yet.

David75
Fri, 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Mostly a closed space ep again.

A little trick regarding the group of people stranded on the planet with the obelisque.
That idea wasn't that fun/good/entertaining. But at least they get a fully functionnal shuttle back. I know it's quite insentitive to say so after what happened to those people, but it's not like those aboard Destiny are to blame for that.

I have to say I do not like the eps where proselytism is too strong, and I think they crossed the line.

Other than that, not much.

Penner
Wed, 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Ooh, another good ep, and Telford is back!

And that Lucian alliance dude finally got to leave his room, i like him so i hope he gets a more involved role and doesn't get locked away in his room again -.-

We also seem to be getting somewhere with the whole Chloe transformation deal, i'm hoping we actually get to see her change completely instead of them finding some alien cure shit.

David75
Thu, 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Ooh, another good ep, and Telford is back!

And that Lucian alliance dude finally got to leave his room, i like him so i hope he gets a more involved role and doesn't get locked away in his room again -.-

We also seem to be getting somewhere with the whole Chloe transformation deal, i'm hoping we actually get to see her change completely instead of them finding some alien cure shit.

My guess is that she called the blue ones. And they'll save the day.

Orsini are foes, it's pretty certain they are the one operating the drones.

we're finally getting some SF, instead of hours of confined space emo developments.

Yukimura
Sun, 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
And........Canceled (http://movies.rightcelebrity.com/stargate-universe-canceled-videos-photos/2469)

10 more eps to finish off season 2 and then bye bye Stargate franchise. Apparently they were considering a movie to wrap up Atlantis but that's been shelved now too.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this, I wasn't all that into SGU anyway so maybe it's not such a big deal that its going away.

David75
Mon, 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Just after I start watching Farscape and decided to rewatch SG1 ep 200 that was a crossover... and the time they announced the cancellation of SG1...

I guess the SF genre is losing momentum, or needs to renew in some departments.
I wonder what the young ones have, in their fantasy world, that would attract them to such shows.

David75
Sat, 03-19-2011, 02:42 AM
So, the other half of the season premiered march 7.
Ep 11 and 12 are already available.

We've had a bit of space battle.
Blue ones objectives are hard to guess.
Orsinis, well you'll see.

Then there's the second ep, traditional time jump plot device with some Rush wickedness probably at the source of it all.
I'm getting angry, as the time jump plot device has already been overused in SF... and particularly in the Stargate franchise.
But what is even worse, they already used it in season one, are the scenarist so worn out they can only deliver that much?

Penner
Sat, 03-19-2011, 07:37 AM
I kinda stopped watching the moment i heard it was cancelled, SGU isnt nearly as good as SG1 or Atlantis for that matter, so it feels like a waste of time to keep watching and getting to know the characters and whatnot :P

David75
Thu, 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
I'll just finish that show. That's how silly I am :D

So for this week's ep, we have yet another overused plot device: Multiple minds into one body, said minds slowly fading away.
Then they throw in a kidney transplant aboard Destiny, crappy idea to maintain audience attention I guess.
In the end, we get to fairly elegant ladies as Human Hologram Destiny Interfaces.

The outcome isn't that bad an idea, they even thought about one of the most hellish side-effects of the idea.