PDA

View Full Version : Movie: District 9

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Directed by Neil Blomkamp and produced by Peter Jackson. I am so excited about this movie. It looks like it could be brilliant.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZnpzfcMheA
Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjihaK7HfGs

That first trailer is pretty spectacular. I saw it, figuring it would be a boring documentary about Iraq or social injustice in South Africa, then *bam* you're hit with Sci-Fi. I can't wait to see this.

It's based on a short film that Director Neil Blomkampf made a while back, called "Alive in Joburg". It can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

The viral marketing being done for this movie is pretty interesting. This is the website for the large (government run?) corporation portrayed in the movie:

http://www.multinationalunited.com/

And then this is a blog written by a non-human activist that seems to have escaped MNU's grasp. There is some pretty interesting information on there, as well as an MNU video describing the non-humans' reproductive systems:

http://www.mnuspreadslies.com/

I'm expecting a pretty entertaining movie after all that. I'll be following this pretty closely.

Lucifus
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Hahaha, oh man, that definitely caught my interest.
And I was not expecting that at all. Impressive.
Lemme check out the second trailer.

Edit: Yea, far more scifi than I thought. I think i'm gonna love this. Production seems top notch as far as quality is concerned.

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
The first trailer and the short film seem to be done documentary style, while the second trailer looks more like a typical action movie. I hope they find a way to blend the two, because I'd much rather the style of the movie lean towards the short film.

Either way it looks like it's gonna be fun.

Oh, also they have this diddly little game up: http://www.district9game.com/

It's pretty easy and not very long, though playing as the "non-humans" is slightly more difficult.

The Chancellor
Fri, 07-24-2009, 11:51 PM
They're giant fucking bugs for godsake! Give me a fucking break. All this is is Bugs Life with guns and space vehicles.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:00 AM
As seen on X-Files, scientists hypothesize that alien life that made the journey to Earth would be in insect form, as insects seem to be more evolutionarily evolved than soft-bodied humanoid life-forms. They have multiple appendages, exoskeleton, and the ability to survive in harsh conditions.

What I'm wondering is how the puny Earthlings are able to sequester the mentally and physically superior aliens to this District 9.

The Chancellor
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:28 AM
They have multiple appendages, exoskeleton, and the ability to survive in harsh conditions.
And are ugly as fuck. Case closed

Animeniax
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:36 AM
And are ugly as fuck. Case closed
No uglier than 95% of humans. And I'm talking just on the surface.

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-25-2009, 03:53 AM
What I'm wondering is how the puny Earthlings are able to sequester the mentally and physically superior aliens to this District 9.
Yeah, I'm really curious about this, too. After having watched the short film, I figure that the aliens came to Earth, and either broke down or had run out of resources. I guess the government jumped in immediately and took advantage of their vulnerable situation.

In another version of the first trailer, there are subtitles for the alien's lines. He states that "you" (presumable the MNU) is in possession of their ships, and that they mean no harm to anyone and just want to return home. So I assume that on top of being oppressed by the government, they're also pacifists.

I agree that one of the selling points of this movie will be how well it can convince me that a human government could successfully overpower and sequester a technologically and physically advanced society.

They're giant fucking bugs for godsake! Give me a fucking break. All this is is Bugs Life with guns and space vehicles.
This is just too inane to respond to properly.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I'm really curious about this, too. After having watched the short film, I figure that the aliens came to Earth, and either broke down or had run out of resources. I guess the government jumped in immediately and took advantage of their vulnerable situation.

In another version of the first trailer, there are subtitles for the alien's lines. He states that "you" (presumable the MNU) is in possession of their ships, and that they mean no harm to anyone and just want to return home. So I assume that on top of being oppressed by the government, they're also pacifists.

I agree that one of the selling points of this movie will be how well it can convince me that a human government could successfully overpower and sequester a technologically and physically advanced society.

Thinking about it a bit, just like insects on Earth maybe these insect aliens don't utilize projectile or energy weapons. That would put them at a disadvantage since human assault rifles could probably penetrate their organic exoskeletons. But, the insects do have spaceships as seen in the trailer so maybe they do have weapon systems as well, but are a peaceful race as you suggested.

I like the juxtaposition of humans' treatment of this alien race to how we treat our own poor and foreign persons. I've believed for a long time that only threat from an alien race would allow humans to get past racial and ethnic prejudices. However, I think as soon as the threat was eliminated, we'd go back to hating each other. Humans have to have some group to hate.

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I like the juxtaposition of humans' treatment of this alien race to how we treat our own poor and foreign persons. I've believed for a long time that only threat from an alien race would allow humans to get past racial and ethnic prejudices. However, I think as soon as the threat was eliminated, we'd go back to hating each other. Humans have to have some group to hate.
Yeah, that seems to be a major theme in the movie. It's just one big metaphor for apartheid. The director says it was intentional, but apparently doesn't try to beat you over the head with it.

As for their weapons, the trailer has the guy asking about how the aliens' weapons work, so they're apparently trying to crib off of their technology. Also, that game I posted features the aliens' weapons as well.

Edit: Here's some impressions of the movie from a recent screening at San Diego Comic Con:
http://www.scifiscoop.com/news/district-9-premieres-at-comic-con-to-rave-reviews/
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/hobbitnews.php?id=57455
http://chud.com/articles/articles/20239/1/COMIC-CON-09-DISTRICT-9-IS-AMAZING/Page1.html

I'm not supposed to review District 9, so this isn't a review. But Sony has said that I could share my reaction to the movie, so this is my reaction:

It's pretty fucking awesome.

Neill Blomkampk's directorial debut is assured, exciting, funny, gory, fun and heartbreaking. It's the kind of movie you keep thinking can't be made in the modern age: a film with deep characters, a film that has something on its mind and a film with kick ass alien weapons and astonishing special effects.

But here's the thing about District 9's special effects: you'll barely even notice them. The film's aliens are pretty much photoreal (there are no practical creature shots in the film, including close-ups that I would have bet were CG-assisted animatronics), but they're characters. They're not spectacle and they're not shot like they're the stars of an FX reel. They're shot like real characters and real creatures, interacting with a real environment. The aliens we get to know (they're colloquially called 'prawns,' for obvious reasons) have all the dimensions of real people, despite not speaking our language and looking more than a little Lovecraftian. It's a real testament to the script, by Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell, as well as the FX work.

I almost find myself slipping into review mode and transitioning into telling you how great Sharlto Copley, an unknown South African actor, is as the film's incredibly unlikely hero, or about the sheer magnitude of world building that's on display or about the delightful heapings of gore that are splashed throughout (alien weapons really do a number on people). Instead I'll wrap this up by saying that District 9 is part of a new golden age for smaller scifi cinema (believe it or not the film cost 30 million dollars. I think the CGI here looked miles better than the cartoony CG I saw from Avatar). It's a golden age where thoughtful, smart, well-made films tackle intriguing science fiction concepts that go beyond laser guns and explosions.

Is District 9 the best film of the summer? Quite possibly. It's certainly the best science fiction film released by a major studio in some time. I loved District 9.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah, that seems to be a major theme in the movie. It's just one big metaphor for apartheid. The director says it was intentional, but apparently doesn't try to beat you over the head with it.

As for their weapons, the trailer has the guy asking about how the aliens' weapons work, so they're apparently trying to crib off of their technology. Also, that game I posted features the aliens' weapons as well.

I wonder if what we consider weapons are actually household utility items to the aliens. Like what we consider a laser gun might be what they use to trim the hedges with laser precision, and they never even considered using it in an offensive manner. Or their giant pincers that we see as dangerous, but to them they are simply limbs. In fact, the human hand is one of the marvels, and greatest evils, of evolution.

Sapphire
Sat, 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM
This looks scary. :(

Animeniax
Sat, 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
This looks scary. :(
It's rated R so your parents will have to be there with you to comfort you.

The Chancellor
Sat, 07-25-2009, 05:09 PM
This is just too inane to respond to properly. Then other than bad ass possible story, give me a good reason to watch this. I'm interested for real, I just need some feedback.

XanBcoo
Sun, 08-09-2009, 01:05 AM
District 9 has been getting rave reviews from basically everybody who's seen pre-screenings. It's got a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes right now:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

I cannot wait for this movie. It's looking like the best movie of the Summer right now. One more week is too long.

XanBcoo
Fri, 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, this was a pretty amazing movie. It definitely had its shortcomings, but it's more intelligent and more endearing than 90% of the action movies out there right now.

It spent a lot less time with the docu-drama style than I had anticipated, but made the shift into a movie-narrative really smoothly. Once the plot thickened, I got completely dragged into the story. In regards to my earlier comments, there is minimal suspension of disbelief needed. Everything about the reality of the movie seems completely natural.

Oh and I haven't nerdgasmed over fictional technology since I was about 13. The alien weapons in this movie are so goddamn cool. Lightning gun, gravity gun, super-tazer, sonic-boom gun, gravity gun. Loads of people got blasted, but I wanted even more. I ate it up.

And the baby alien was adorable. Really good movie.

Edit: I guess the biggest problem with the movie is that some of the characters are cartoonishly evil. But then you remember that they work for the largest weapons manufacturer in the world, and it doesn't seem so out of place.

Sapphire
Sun, 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I LOVEEEE this movie! I almost cried because of the prawns.. :(

Stitch
Thu, 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Cannot wait to rent this on Blu-Ray!

Haha Peter Jackson, I hope you're not too mad about your beloved HD-DVD losing the format war. I know you've suffered enough not being able to make your fanboy Halo movie. Oh well, better luck next time! Not!

PS3 > *

Animeniax
Thu, 08-20-2009, 09:38 PM
A Halo movie would be pretty badass, but pointless action. Who would want to play Master Chief anyway, you'd always have your helmet on. Christian Bale might do it.

XanBcoo
Tue, 08-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Saw this again tonight with my brother. I actually liked it better with a second viewing, and I took the time to process some nice interpretations I had read online, such as the shift in style of narrative being parallel to the shift of viewpoint. Really one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen.

Cannot wait to rent this on Blu-Ray!

Haha Peter Jackson, I hope you're not too mad about your beloved HD-DVD losing the format war. I know you've suffered enough not being able to make your fanboy Halo movie. Oh well, better luck next time! Not!

PS3 > *
Holy shit shut up forever.

Who would want to play Master Chief anyway, you'd always have your helmet on. Christian Bale might do it.
That is how you do sarcasm.

Stitch
Tue, 08-25-2009, 06:53 AM
That is how you do sarcasm.
Sure, if the point of sarcasm is to not have a punch line.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-25-2009, 07:15 AM
A joke has a punch line. Sarcasm stands on its own. You should try it sometime.

I gotta see this movie, its getting great reviews from all corners.

Munsu
Tue, 08-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I watched the movie, and I thought it was a ton of fun. I didn't think it was fantastic as some here are putting it, but it had some very good elements to compensate for its flaws. I would say that it's like Starship Troopers in that sense. Really cool fun movie.

Although the documental-type picture worked in some areas, it also took away a bit from what could've been even better effects for the aliens and their technology... it also didn't help that it slowed the action down and it made it difficult to get into the movie early. I thought the dialogue and characters were quite bad. But the situations they're placed in and how they're portrayed makes it fun if you manage to get a laugh out of it when it gets over ridiculous.

In all, this is certainly not a movie for everyone, though I really enjoyed it. Bonus points for the novelty, which I think many are rating it as high, but I can't help but think that this could've been way better.

So, we'll we see a District 10?

Raven
Wed, 08-26-2009, 05:14 AM
I really hope they don't make a sequel to this. As great as it was, it was just enough and I really don't want any cash cows. The transition from documentary style to narrative action style was so seamless that any sequel would not be able to continue the theme, and ruin it.

Anyway, loved it, and the main guy is a great actor. I love how every time anything at all happened to him, he was like "OH FOOK!"

According to IMDB all his lines are ad-lib. Not sure if I believe that entirely, but it's plausible. He was really good, and he'll probably become a star now.

Sapphire
Sun, 10-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Nice review of D9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfNIY6Nos6c&feature=player_profilepage

itadakimasu
Sat, 10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Just got back from seeing it... Best movie I've seen in a long time!

About to look on IMDB and see if they already have a sequal in production. I think it would be great to leave it alone as a stand alone movie, but come on... it seems like every good movie now gets a sequal, or 2, or 3.

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Just got back from seeing it... Best movie I've seen in a long time!

About to look on IMDB and see if they already have a sequal in production. I think it would be great to leave it alone as a stand alone movie, but come on... it seems like every good movie now gets a sequal, or 2, or 3.
Blomkamp has said that he'd like to revisit the universe of this movie, but he's currently working on a different project, with several other projects on the back burner.

So basically we'll get a sequel some day, if he feels like it, and if he has a good enough foundation of films to spend time on another D9.