PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 550

Archangel
Thu, 07-16-2009, 04:04 AM
Binktopia

Download (http://dl02.mangashare.com/One_Piece_550%5BBinktopia%5D.zip) | Download 2 (http://rapidshare.com/files/256445579/One_Piece_550_Binktopia_.zip) | Online Viewing (http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-550/page001.html)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oda... I love you

Augury
Thu, 07-16-2009, 04:26 AM
...Seriously, 20 months?

Never did consider the possibility of brothers though.

EDIT: Okay, initial reaction aside, there's an awful lot of static double page spreads this chapter. The pacing felt abnormally slow for One Piece, but it was nice to see all those characters that haven't been around for a while (I liked that Smoker + Tashigi and Hina are there). After the chapter jumped to Luffy & co. after the sequence of spreads I got the feeling that all of the Impel Down crew would be totally screwed if they showed up first / alone.

I thought about Dragon / Roger a bit more - Luffy and Ace definitely aren't brothers now, and they may not be blood-related at all if Garp isn't a grandfather for both of them. Otherwise Roger could have been Luffy's uncle.

RasenDori
Thu, 07-16-2009, 05:16 AM
hmmm... so Luffy and Ace aren't blood brothers. I was felt weird about that relationship since Ace came out of the blue years ago, but they look strikingly similar. I wonder if there is blood relation at all such as Roger and Dragon are brothers. However, considering the fact that they would attempt the kill Roger's child, and even the man that built his ship; It's not hard to believe that they would execute his father as well. Perhaps there really is no relation.

Splash!
Thu, 07-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Wow, so Ace is the one related to Roger, not Luffy. Only in One Piece would something like this happen.

So Luffy and Ace aren't even half brothers. No wonder Dragon isn't going crazy about the situation.

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Both skill are 'D'. In this world... it ain't that farfetched that Gol D Roger and Monkey D Dragon are related or something. Maybe Gol D Roger is Monkey D Garp's brother or something like that.

Why would Rouge ask Garp to take care of Ace then?

Ah whatever. Im alucinating here. But hey... is a child can be kept inside a womb 20 months... why not?

First time we've seen Akainu, although we didn't clearly see face... and nobody mentions it?

Sengoku needs a good kick soon.

UChessmaster
Thu, 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Marshal D. Teach? Jaguar D. Saul?

Assertn
Thu, 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Quite an exciting setup in this chapter. Feels like Oda just laid out a gauntlet for Whitebeard to pass through next week. My first thoughts was that Ace and Luffy have no relation after all, however I do like the idea of Roger and Dragon being brothers. The reason for Garp being spared from execution is simple: he hasn't yet been executed for being Dragon's father either. We've already seen Sengoku giving Garp shit about his family in the past, and even threatening his life. I'm sure he's still too valuable as an asset to the marines.

First time we've seen Akainu, although we didn't clearly see face... and nobody mentions it?

Second time. Akainu was shown in Nico Robin's flashback of her home town's destruction before.

Archangel
Thu, 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Has there been any indication of this in the past? Anyone want to read a couple of old chapters to find out?

And by the way, since when do they have Tvs on the One Piece World?

Assertn
Thu, 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Has there been any indication of this in the past? Anyone want to read a couple of old chapters to find out?
...in response to what?

And by the way, since when do they have Tvs on the One Piece World?
There were tvs in the monitoring rooms of Impel Down

Also, I find it interesting that Ace's execution seems to be more hyped up than even Roger's execution. Roger's execution didn't seem even 1/3 as secured...they didn't even use Marineford!

Edit: Another thing I liked was how Ace's backstory makes his execution all the more significant. When his capture was first announced, I never thought of it as much of a big deal except for as an opportunity to draw out Whitebeard. I honestly didn't know why the marines wanted to execute him so badly, while other powerhouses like crocodile just sat in a cell.

rockmanj
Thu, 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I am going to throw something crazy out there, even though I do not necessarily believe it. Maybe the Gold Roger that was captured may not have been the real one, and maybe the real one hid underground as Monkey D Dragon. I mean, who would know more about the world than its truth than him? I would not put it past the marines to pull a fast one on people just to prove their point (Gold Roger died). I know it is a bad theory, since many people saw it, and like I said, I do not necessarily think this is the case. Just food for thought (after considering that whole making Ace's execution super important).

UChessmaster
Thu, 07-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Also, I find it interesting that Ace's execution seems to be more hyped up than even Roger's execution. Roger's execution didn't seem even 1/3 as secured...they didn't even use Marineford!

If i recall correctly, it was revealed Roger either let himself get caught or willingly went to marine HQ to be executed.

If he was going to die by his own will the marines probably neglected the idea that he might try to escape. Another posibility is that since it was the begining of the series Oda didn`t really thought about how strong the marines (or Roger for that matter) were and Roger`s original role was to give pirates a reason of excistence OR maybe they did had tons of defense but they were outside the island on it`s surrounding, also note Roger didn`t had a huge ass legend trying to save him :p

The Chancellor
Thu, 07-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I honestly didn't know why the marines wanted to execute him so badly, while other powerhouses like crocodile just sat in a cell. I still don't know why. People think just because the pirate king was his dad that some 20 year old punk with a logia will rise up and want (or be able to) follow his dads footsteps? Highly unlikely.

Oh and OMG x 100! We finaly see the last admiral! Finally!

Assertn
Thu, 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Second time. Akainu was shown in Nico Robin's flashback of her home town's destruction before.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/397/12/

FireEmblem
Fri, 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
He's (Sengoku) probably revealing this information now to throw water on this great age of pirates. Roger tricked the marines when he turned himself in, and that public execution wound up making things a lot worse for them. I think that doing this to Ace, the son of Gol D Roger, who gave everyone the courage to go out to sea and oppose the marines and the World Government, is meant to reverse that. To make people more afraid. However this is probably another event that will blow up in their faces, if Ace gets rescued. If that happens, other pirates will grow even bigger balls and be even more ambitious!

I can't wait to see the Strawhat crew together again though. It seems like a good time now. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbei mentioning that wind would have made their travel faster was a bit of foreshadowing. If the crew meets up before Marineford, Nami should be able to do something like that based on where she went for a power-up.

Carnage
Fri, 07-17-2009, 02:59 PM

Because as far as we know, noone was out to save Roger, he handed himself in. This time, the Marines KNOW Whitebeard will be all up in their shit.

Im laying $10 on Buggy actually pulling off a fluke and killing Whitebeard.

The Chancellor
Fri, 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Because as far as we know, noone was out to save Roger, he handed himself in. This time, the Marines KNOW Whitebeard will be all up in their shit.

Im laying $10 on Buggy actually pulling off a fluke and killing Whitebeard. Yes they will but it seems like the marines are prepard for literally anything that comes their way. This isn't going to pretty to watch in the next few chapters. Fun, oh yes, but not pretty. They have Ace personally guarded in the back by the admirals and in the very front along with 50 marine ships and are the shichibukai looking out at whoever is ready to show up. This is a strong formation ready for battle.

Edit: although we know that Oda will probably bust out a way for Luffy and Jimbei to get the gates open and get to his brother. Or WB is going to show up and send a top ship (most likely Marcos first division ship) in or something to save him and get the fight started.

My bet: they'll probably be a massive chunk of marine fodder taken out by some decent haki users, while the strong ones are left to fight it out. Should be interesting

Augury
Fri, 07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I can't wait to see the Strawhat crew together again though. It seems like a good time now. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbei mentioning that wind would have made their travel faster was a bit of foreshadowing. If the crew meets up before Marineford, Nami should be able to do something like that based on where she went for a power-up.
I don't think there's any chance of the Strawhats reuniting before their cover stories finish. My guess is they'll come back together sometime after this arc finishes.

Assertn
Fri, 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Considering all the hoops Luffy had to go through to get this far, I doubt any of the others will make it in time. Besides, aren't some of them completely out of the grand line right now?

FireEmblem
Fri, 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I can still hope =(!

Assertn
Sat, 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Oh, hey...
I found another interesting thing:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/301/16/

The Chancellor
Sat, 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh, hey...
I found another interesting thing:

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/301/16/ Looking being all GW Sherlock on us. That is interesting. And normally when Oda has them talking suspiciously over their shoulders like that, it means that said character knows a lot about that topic.

Archangel
Sat, 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM
There were alot of maybes there Assertn, not much reliable information

Assertn
Sat, 07-18-2009, 02:14 PM
There were alot of maybes there Assertn, not much reliable information
Are you suggesting Oda threw that in there for no reason?

Archangel
Sat, 07-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Are you suggesting Oda threw that in there for no reason?

Far from me to question Oda's brilliant design ( i'm not being sarcastic, he's that good ), but i don't think we can count every single supposition made by the character as some sort of premonition for the future of the story

Besides, wouldn't the fact that they are unrelated make it look like Luffy really deserved the title instead of something he inherited?

Assertn
Sat, 07-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Evidence isn't necessary as an element of foreshadowing in a story...

Even a hawk grabbing a snake and flying into the sky can be foreshadowing of the outcome between Sasuke vs Orochimaru, for example.

We already know the "Will of D" is some sort of connection between people whose initial is D. I don't think it would hurt the story if he was related in some way. It didn't hurt the story when we found out Dragon and Garp were related to Luffy.

UChessmaster
Sat, 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
We already know the "Will of D" is some sort of connection between people whose initial is D. I don't think it would hurt the story if he was related in some way. It didn't hurt the story when we found out Dragon and Garp were related to Luffy.

Having Luffy and Roger be related in any way shape or form would be lame and generic, and i highly doubt Oda will do that, next time you know we`ll see a fairy of unknown sex telling Luffy he is the "Destiny Child!!!!111oneoneone" Luffy`s place in the One Piece world is high enough as it is, his relationship with Shanks, Ace (thus whitebeard), Hancock, Jimbei, Dragon, Silver and Garp is more than enough. The only foreshadowing i personally accept is the ambigious statement that Luffy and Roger look alike PERSONALLITY wise made by several members that met them both as a foreshadow that Luffy will become Pirate King.

Having everyone with the D initial as family makes even less sense, then we would`ve been left to beleive Luffy and Ace are family, and then they`re not and then they are. Plus Roger would`ve had incest with her sister/cousin/whatever, remember, her name was Portgas D. Rogue.

In my opinion the initial "D" only refers to people with a strong soul/conviction/determination etc. and i beleive it`s perfect if it`s stays that way.

Archangel
Sat, 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Not to mention that the giant Aokoji killed would also have to be related to Luffy and co, and that would lead to a whole new level of weird >_>

poopdeville
Sat, 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM
It wouldn't be so weird for the people with the Will of D to be a clan. Or a scattered ancient tribe that fought during the Void Century. Or humanoid aliens, like Goku. How else is it going to take Ace 20 months to leave the womb?

One Piece already has a space theme going. Enel met space pirates on the moon, and found images of the Pluton or Poseidon on the moon.

Assertn
Sun, 07-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Well we already know Luffy isn't Roger's son, so you don't have to freak out about it. :P

I do think that the foreshadowing in that page suggests a deeper connection, though. Even following the idea of "lost history", maybe, as poops said, D was a clan. Maybe D was the race of people who were wiped out during the blank era.

That would bring even deeper meaning to Roger's role as the catalyst to the pirate era.

joker-kun
Mon, 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM
If there was any relation I think the most likely would be that Roger is Garp's brother, making Ace Luffy's half uncle, and Dragon's half brother.

Unlikely, I know, but I think it's a lot more likely than Roger being Garp's son and Dragon's brother. Remember, Roger was middle aged when he died, probably close to the same age as Garp at the time, Garp looks old now, but he was not this old when Roger died, and Ace is about 10 years older than Luffy, so it could work. Roger had a child late, Garp had a child early.

Would also possibly explain the rivalry between Garp and Roger, as well as Garp not only sparing Ace, but taking him in as a grand son, when he is actually his nephew.

Maybe D was the race of people who were wiped out during the blank era.
That was my belief before, and still is. Not that it isn't a common one.

poopdeville
Thu, 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I just realized something... Women from the Kuja clan who fall in love always die "from it". Maybe this long ass pregnancy is what does it to them.

UChessmaster
Thu, 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I just realized something... Women from the Kuja clan who fall in love always die "from it". Maybe this long ass pregnancy is what does it to them.

I`m sure Rogue`s case was an isolated one and she did it thanks to her WILL OF D. hax ability :P

Assertn
Fri, 07-24-2009, 02:33 AM
The elder suffered this "sickness" and cured it by abandoning the village. I'm pretty sure you're reading into what was meant to be more of a joke by Oda.