PDA

View Full Version : Bakemonogatari

Pages : [1] 2

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-08-2009, 09:14 AM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2095/27221.jpg

Alternative title: 化物語 (Japanese)

Genres: romance, supernatural

Plot Summary: (Potential spoilers on beginning eps. Read at your own risk)

Bakemonogatari centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who is almost human again after briefly becoming a vampire. One day, a classmate named Hitagi Senjōgahara, who infamously never talks to anyone, falls down the stairs into Koyomi’s arms. He discovers that Hitagi weighs next to nothing, in defiance of physics. After being threatened by her, Koyomi offers her help, and introduces her to Meme Oshino, a middle-aged homeless man who helped him stop being a vampire.

-ANN

Official site (http://www.bakemonogatari.com/), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6327), AnimeNFO (http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4435,tjmgsl,bake_monogatari.html), ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10196)

[anon]_Bakemonogatari_-_01_[4BFD233A].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=73965)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Holy Fuck.

This has to be one of the best (if not the best) series this season.

Stapler attack.

Lucifus
Thu, 07-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Awesome f*cking show. Love the characters already.

Man that Stapler attack was not expected. xD

I'm very pleased with the new shows thus far.

Did anyone else find those subs confusing though?

darkshadow
Thu, 07-09-2009, 05:38 AM
This is the only show that sounded appealing to me this season, but i'll just hold off till its done.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Confusing? Yeah.

Good? HECK YEAH!

Totally loved that eye-poke scene, complete with Araragi's hair:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5751/bakemonogatari01large23.jpg

TheBladeChild
Thu, 07-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Wow havent seen this kind of quick reaction from you guys, ill give this series a chance to see whats all the hub-bub.

Penner
Thu, 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
uh...wha...so..weird....confused..

But i like it!

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM
The title reminded me of the artists behind Naruto Shippuuden's 3rd opening, Ikimono Gakari. Nice reactions, romance is not my genre but will give it a watch.

Nadouku
Thu, 07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
The animation was weird, but this episode was superb. Stapler attack!

Death BOO Z
Fri, 07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
it looks like a toned down Gankotsuou.

it's dialog based, so it's great, and the voices are superb.

Too bad that we don't get any translation notes, there's so much text around...

Kraco
Sat, 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Likely a better sub:

Episode 1 - qq & II-subs (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=74427)

At least there were so plentifully translated signs that my poor old computer couldn't anymore play the video properly...

Looks like a very interesting series for sure, even if this first episode didn't exactly answer that many questions. The stapler attack was badass, though, even if it also meant the dude isn't that badass.

David75
Sat, 07-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Likely a better sub:

Episode 1 - qq & II-subs (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=74427)

At least there were so plentifully translated signs that my poor old computer couldn't anymore play the video properly...

Looks like a very interesting series for sure, even if this first episode didn't exactly answer that many questions. The stapler attack was badass, though, even if it also meant the dude isn't that badass.

Well she is incredibly light, but seems to be very fast and knows to use anything as a weapon. That's probably her only choice, that with intelligence, because she probably lacks power and impact in her attacks.

On the other hand, his only strength seems to be ultra quick healing. So he'll probably be used as a shield for her when things get difficult in a battle. Based on the intro, he will probably even be able to recover incredible wounds (but I might be interpreting wrongly)

Other than that, I wonder how you can fall like that from a stair with barriers that are designed to be high enough precisely in order to prevent from falling. Also, she seems to be agile and quick and great reactivity, even if taken by surprise, she should have been able to do something.

I guess we'll know more later.

Kraco
Sat, 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Other than that, I wonder how you can fall like that from a stair with barriers that are designed to be high enough precisely in order to prevent from falling. Also, she seems to be agile and quick and great reactivity, even if taken by surprise, she should have been able to do something.

If we assume she still has the same muscle power as before losing weight (which she theoretically shouldn't have unless she trains like an astronaut), it wouldn't be such a stretch to think she overcompensated when the banana trap caught her. That is, she pushed herself flying right over the railing.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-13-2009, 10:19 AM
gg - episode 2 (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_02_%5B8589C990%5D.mkv.torrent)

Pandadice
Mon, 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
well, I watched episode one and I enjoyed it. I really liked the abstract visuals, but I wonder how far they can go by just using colorful shapes, cheap still-shots and face close ups, and a main focus on the heavy dialogue? it just seems.. limiting to me. But I guess the frame-rates had to take a cut so that they could use so much of that awesome lighting effect. xD

I did enjoy it, and I'm downloading episode 2 right now.

Kraco
Mon, 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
That case seems closed now. Senjougahara got quite a personality change in addition to her weight back. Of course it was to be expected seeing how it wasn't just physical weight but also the weight of her memories. It was a very nicely made case all in all. Considering she had had some near lethal disease as a kid, she had to need lots of support from her mom - that is, love. But then that love was marred beyond recognition by how her mom would have let the man rape her, veritably abandoning her. So, if you lose something like that, it has to affect your personality.

I don't know whether Senjougahara appears in the show anymore, but I wouldn't mind if she did. That long fanservice scene with her was jolly good...

Nadouku
Mon, 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Heh, looks like Araragi has siblings, so I wonder if they were vampires too? Other than that, looks like Senjougahara's symptom of weightlessness is gone, along with her original personality, so I guess the series will take a different turn from the original idea that popped into my head.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
The shower butt slap fanservice was really well done. An original touch to an overused scene.

Yukimura
Mon, 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I demand that buttslaping become a new staple in shower scene fanservice!!!!!

Anyway, while I'll miss crazy sociopath Senjougahara I'll try not to hold it against sweet and polite Senjogahara if she is going to continue to be in the show which I hope she will seeing as how they're friends now and all. Little sisters are generally good for some laughs and these seem like prime examples of potential fun from the little bit we got to see.

EDIT @Below, I noticed the noise she made walking as well, it was kind of a letdown since it seemed like such an easy way to highlight the fact that she weighed so little to just not add footfall sounds.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I have noticed a recent trend that every single anime/manga related thing out there now seems to include a Loli (not that I am complaining :) ). Am I just imagining things?

David75
Tue, 07-14-2009, 01:58 AM
That under the tatami angle was mean... and lets me think she wasn't 5 kg only due to the pounding sound she makes while walking.

Also I don't know if she had lost her weight for a long time (or don't remember), but if she did, she should have had a schock when getting it back. As much as the guy suddenly jumping from 55 to 100kg.

The mood change, well I was a bit annoyed at first. Depends on the quality of the show from now on.
Anyways, I prefer the class rep for the moment, eventhough her screen time was short.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Class rep? No way, Senjogahara all the way!!

I'm here hoping for some potential romance between the two, so a change in personality isn't at all unwelcome. It just means no more spiteful comments and stapler attacks :( It would have been better if she was nicer to him, but not nice

While I do think Hitagi will make recurring appearances, I wouldn't think it'd be consistent. For one, they're bound to they'd better show the episodes where Araragi was a vampire.

The ending was well done, wrapping everything up in this 2-episode arc. The costume change accented that.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-14-2009, 04:04 AM
I don't think the mystical weight change affects the user's perception of their body. It only changes their body's weight externally, in relation to their environment. So they shouldn't really feel any different, I think. Otherwise, the guy shouldn't even be able to move properly after doubling his body weight.

I am definitely going to miss the attitude and fanservice from Stapler girl. I hope that the succeeding characters that they will encounter prove to be just as interesting.

Pandadice
Tue, 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM
thought that episode was just as good as the first one. if we're taking a poll, then yeah, Senjogahara over class rep, mos def. wonder what was wrong with the class rep that she had to go see the guy for?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-18-2009, 10:48 PM
[Superior]_Bakemonogatari_03_[1280x720][B78E50D4].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=75556)

Nadouku
Sun, 07-19-2009, 01:24 AM
I really liked the scene where they both were on the playground, shuffling through alot of its equipments while chatting their usuals. Other than that, looks like another girl has shown up. I wonder if this will slowly turn into an haremesque like Sayonara, Zetsubo Sensei?

Pandadice
Sun, 07-19-2009, 02:03 AM
are those subs good? or should i wait for gg

Nadouku
Sun, 07-19-2009, 02:06 AM
They were decent enough to watch, but if you're in for archiving bits, then go for gg.

David75
Sun, 07-19-2009, 02:36 AM
are those subs good? or should i wait for gg

I'd anwer a No.
Why?
Timing wasn't very sharp.
Also, I think I detected vague translations, or words not translated with a much simplistic phrase, when those words seem to hold interresting meaning to understand the context.

This episode seems to be very heavy in play on words, this looks like some kind of battle in sharp words. So there's a need for perfect timing and genius translation to be able to be at least true to the intentions of the author.

I'll maybe try gg, but since it was so tiring watching that ep, I may not.

Pandadice
Mon, 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
*yawn* so we got to watch two kids talk at a park for a half hour while the screen cycled through colorful abstract images.

this episode seemed to drag so much.. it better pick it up and do something with the series or this is just gonna be really boring..

this seems more like a Shaft showcase of animation abilities than an actual anime series.

but hey, it is only episode 3, so I probably just need to give it more time.

David75
Mon, 07-20-2009, 02:00 PM
[Superior] translations were crap compared to gg.

I'll keep that in mind for future eps.

Depending on what they choose as a relationship for those 2, and how the action evolves, this episode will be full of useful material.

Kraco
Mon, 07-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I admit there was little action (what's there to admit, anyway...), but I enjoyed the episode quite a lot nonetheless. Even if one of the best parts easily was the only action part of Araragi beating the lost girl. It's not easy to write lots of dialogue like that, so I have to give kudos to the author.

Naturally the single fact that made me very happy was Senjogahara still being here and still having the same kind of personality, even if slightly mellowed by the gratitude. I wish Araragi actually had asked for something, though, because it could have been interesting and moreover if somebody really wants to give you something, it's not polite to refuse. And I don't mean anything that would have ended their relationship - whatever that relationship might be.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I loved the tsundere roundabout conversation Senjougahara initiated, when in the end she only wanted him to ask her to be his girlfriend. The last part was not as subtle as the rest, but it seems it would take that much for dense Araragi to at least get a gist of what is happening.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Boring? I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Senjogahara's the bomb this season hands down.
Her sharp tongue, tone and strange antics remind me of C.C.

I found the funniest part to be where she's telling him about her willingness to repay him despite Araragi spinning her around in a slave-like fashion.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice </pseudo-sarcasm> to see Senjogahara back to her initial self. While part of me enjoys witnessing the confrontational and derogatory behavior Senjogahara exudes another part of me can't help but feel like Araragi-kun doesn't deserve that sort of treatment. It kind of annoys me that he has to sit there and take it and if he tries to do anything to shut her up he'll just get trash talked more. While he did bring it on himself for bothering to help her out it still rubs me wrong that she tends to act like she has the moral high-ground in most of her trash talking.

I had especially bad feelings about her 'I want to repay you by doing anything you ask so pick something' set up. As Kraco mentioned, when someone does something like that, it puts a lot of pressure on the person receiving the offer to ask for something. When you combine that with Senjougahara's love of making fun of Araragi it seems like her 'repayment ' is just a way to force Araragi into a trap so she can rub his face in even more dirt. He can't not accept or else she might act hurt that he's rejecting her appreciation. At the same time, no matter what he asks he for she can and probably would make fun of him for it it, act hurt by the idea of him asking for it, or make some snide comment about what his request says about him. I really dislike when stories set up 'choose how you want to be tortured' scenarios for people who haven't done anything wrong and are just being fucked with by a jerk.

Finally, if all the chatter in this ep was a just ploy for Senjougahara to get Araragi to say he wanted to date her because she wants to date him but doesn't want to ask then I'd be pretty ticked off with her character. If she wants to play games she should go find someone who will play games back but Araragi seems unwilling to play the insult game at her level. I would much rather she screw with him for her own lulz then she screw with him because she's too weak and emotionally messed up to be forthright about her feelings.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I actually think she's screwing with him for her own lulz. She even acknowledges that he's got a high tolerance. Whatever "high tolerance" might mean, I think it's fair to say they both have an idea of what each other's character is like.

If you count what she said in episode 2, where she wanted him to be her friend, then my conclusion is that all this teasing isn't enough to make Araragi have any genuine negative feelings (like say, self esteem issues from being called a virgin), and Senjogahara knows it.

Whether or not that's unfairly taking advantage of him is subjective I guess.

Regarding "Araragi seems unwilling to play the insult game at her level", I don't think he minded that much at all, as long as she's around. They've already established the fact he likes her.

He can't not accept or else she might act hurt that he's rejecting her appreciation.

Isn't that what happened when he didn't appreciate her generous post-shower fanservice? :D

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with Buff. Araragi is not as much of a victim as he seems. If he really feels that bad about it, he could have just stood up and left. Yet, he even told Senjougahara to wait while he tries to help the loli, obviously because he wants to spend time with her. This is because he likes her (as a friend, right now) and nothing else.

It is better not to take their bantering seriously. A lot of people I know say such horrible things to each other, but because they have an understanding of each others personalities, the "insults" are considered simple verbal fencing rather than intentionally hurtful remarks.

In short, they are having fun, despite how it looks on the outside.

Board of Command
Tue, 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM
This is a fantastic series. Shaft really got its A-game on.

Pandadice
Tue, 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
It is better not to take their bantering seriously. A lot of people I know say such horrible things to each other, but because they have an understanding of each others personalities, the "insults" are considered simple verbal fencing rather than intentionally hurtful remarks.

In short, they are having fun, despite how it looks on the outside.

which is why i said it's two kids causally talking at a park, doing nothing. i figured her attitude is in jest, and that araragi figures that too. so they're just kinda chatting about nothing at a park for a half hour.....

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
which is why i said it's two kids causally talking at a park, doing nothing. i figured her attitude is in jest, and that araragi figures that too. so they're just kinda chatting about nothing at a park for a half hour.....

aka flirting.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-22-2009, 12:33 AM
That is what makes Bakemonogatari so good IMO. It has really long conversations, but manages to keep it interesting and worth the time, since it develops the characters as well. The shower scene before was similarly long, and they did pretty much the same thing (talk).

Maybe the fanservice distracted people long enough to not notice the length before.

Pandadice
Wed, 07-22-2009, 01:03 AM
That is what makes Bakemonogatari so good IMO. It has really long conversations, but manages to keep it interesting and worth the time, since it develops the characters as well. The shower scene before was similarly long, and they did pretty much the same thing (talk).

Maybe the fanservice distracted people long enough to not notice the length before.

i agree, this was similar to the shower scene. it was basically the same as the shower scene. however that scene didn't go on for as long, and I already sat through it. so since i already had to sit through a shorter version of the same conversation, it was annoying seeing the exact same thing in this episode..

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-22-2009, 01:21 AM
I haven't gotten bored of their conversations, and I can't see it happening any time soon. It's just entertaining.

Rather, it's hard for me to make the decision of whether or not to pause at the random SHAFT-ish words/pics that flash onto the screen every so often. It's so quirky and detailed it feels wasted to let it flash by without knowing exactly what was on it.

Pausing it to read the typesetting breaks the flow though, and I wouldn't have expected even native readers watching TV to have caught all the detail there is to know every single time.

Despite the detail, it's almost like you're not meant to analyse it, but to get the impression, and move on.

David75
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I haven't gotten bored of their conversations, and I can't see it happening any time soon. It's just entertaining.

Rather, it's hard for me to make the decision of whether or not to pause at the random SHAFT-ish words/pics that flash onto the screen every so often. It's so quirky and detailed it feels wasted to let it flash by without knowing exactly what was on it.

Pausing it to read the typesetting breaks the flow though, and I wouldn't have expected even native readers watching TV to have caught all the detail there is to know every single time.

Despite the detail, it's almost like you're not meant to analyse it, but to get the impression, and move on.

I wonder if shaft is trying this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_message

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Probably not, since subliminal messages are supposed to be subliminal.

We are definitely aware of the text/messages, we just don't have enough time to read them unless we pause it. Really fast readers might actually be able to without pausing.

David75
Wed, 07-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Probably not, since subliminal messages are supposed to be subliminal.

We are definitely aware of the text/messages, we just don't have enough time to read them unless we pause it. Really fast readers might actually be able to without pausing.

At times, like in Zetsubo sensei, some of the panels may not even be readable, because there are so many of them and they accelerate them.
So it's true that it's not subliminal since we know there are panels, but at least there are panels we might see but can't decipher before we pause them.I don't know how we could name the time lapse you need to pause, go back to the frame and actually read it.

When not too much used, it's nice at times.

In that ep, I stopped pausing. From what I understood, it was just to highlight some of the statements the two were making.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-22-2009, 03:06 AM
When stuff like this happens, I actually cope better in 480p instead of 720p, since the whole frame is within my focus so I can take in the words better.

It helps when I see the entire screen at once like a snapshot, rather than slightly panning (the eyes) to read the subs, despite the whole screen still being within my field of vision.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
While those are technically not subliminal messages, they may function in a similar manner. I personally don't go out of my way to read any of them. They are probably not meant to be read by the normal viewer anyway. It may be some marketing tactic to force Japanese fans to buy the DVDs just so they can read the text.

Yukimura
Wed, 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Follow up to follow ups to my comments: I don't see Araragi as a victim so much as a passive but willing catalyst to reveal Senjougahara's character. It's her character, or at least the character trait of being a constant teaser, which I have mixed feelings about. I like her teasing for the lulz it generates and how it makes her interesting to listen to, but at the same time I don't like the idea of approving of teasing as a primary means of self-expression on principle. What I'd love to see would be Araragi throwing more crap back her way and them getting into an epic flame war.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm thinking Araragi will slowly manage that as he starts to learn how to tame the tsundere. If nhe manages to understand Senjougahara better, and maybe capture her affections in a deeper way, he might get the upper hand.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-23-2009, 05:53 AM
I'm thinking Araragi will slowly manage that as he starts to learn how to tame the tsundere. If nhe manages to understand Senjougahara better, and maybe capture her affections in a deeper way, he might get the upper hand.

Conquering Senjougahara...I'd love to watch that.

Marik
Sat, 07-25-2009, 12:17 PM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 03​ [9E41D2E3].​mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_03_%5B9E41D2E3%5D.mkv.torrent)

[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 04​ [964587F5].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_04_%5B964587F5%5D.mkv.torrent)

Nadouku
Sat, 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Senjougahara hating kids, eh? Other than that, looks like Araragi is guiding a "lost snail", but after this problem is solved, I wonder what other oddity will he encounter next? :o

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-25-2009, 08:29 PM
The stapler strikes back!!

Senjougahara hating kids, eh? Other than that, looks like Araragi is guiding a "lost snail", but after this problem is solved, I wonder what other oddity will he encounter next?

Given how Hanekawa seems to know this Tsunade person, I'm guessing it's to do with her.

The PTA typo was funny. I thought gg did it, but it turns out to be the producers.

It wasn't nearly as fun to watch as last episode though. Senjogahara not taking the spotlight just isn't the same.

Pandadice
Sat, 07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
i liked this episode better than last weeks.. because it seemed like stuff happened.

oh, and that OP seemed so out of character for this series..

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-26-2009, 01:25 AM
i liked this episode better than last weeks.. because it seemed like stuff happened.

Stuff = phone talk, walk & talk, sit & talk, phone talk v2, kid-bash, stand & talk.

There was arguably more physical movement this episode, but the whole story is still based on conversation.

This episode shone more light into what exactly the issue in this arc is, but it was certainly slightly disappointing for Senjogahara fans.

edit: maybe not disappointing, just not as satisfying a dose of Senjogahara-verbal-assaults. The stapler partially made up for it though.

Pandadice
Sun, 07-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Stuff = phone talk, walk & talk, sit & talk, phone talk v2, kid-bash, stand & talk.

yeah, lots of talking but it had more characters in it. it brought back that priest guy, who i like as a character.

There was arguably more physical movement this episode, but the whole story is still based on conversation.

exactly, that's something i hated about last weeks episode. the lack of physical movement. I mean, I like the abstractness the show displays, but you've gotta have some actual animation in there sometime.

This episode shone more light into what exactly the issue in this arc is, but it was certainly slightly disappointing for Senjogahara fans.

edit: maybe not disappointing, just not as satisfying a dose of Senjogahara-verbal-assaults. The stapler partially made up for it though.

exactly. it was story progressing. whats disappointing about it? if all you're looking for from this series is Senjogahara to bad talk and get 75% of the screen, without anything story-wise actually happening, then you and me are definitely not going to agree on what a "good episode" is.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-26-2009, 08:59 AM
exactly. it was story progressing. whats disappointing about it?

I didn't say the progression was disappointing. I said it was "slightly disappointing for Senjogahara fans."

Senjogahara alone doesn't make the series (who's she going to talk to? Herself?). To me, she's enjoyable to watch. Story progression is also welcome.

Due to limited screentime, sometimes you'll have to trade one for the other. In this case, I didn't find "looking for Tsunade-mama" quite as enjoyable as a date with Senjogahara.

Note that I used nearly in my first post, slightly in my second and quite just above. It's not like I'm put off by it.

Pandadice
Sun, 07-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Senjogahara alone doesn't make the series (who's she going to talk to? Herself?).

thats why I said 75% in my first post, the other 25% was saved for araragi :\

Marik
Sat, 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 05​ [DCE35CB6].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_05_%5BDCE35CB6%5D.mkv.torrent)

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Happy Ending is Happpy. :)

It's great how the story has so much integrity. The "difference in viewpoint" theme worked its way through every level, starting from the parents' divorce to seeing ghosts, then finally topping off Araragi X Senjogahara's confession all in one, fluid go.

Nadouku
Sun, 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
It was nice to see Senjougahara confessing to Araragi, but it was also disheartening to know that the little girl was already dead and was just wandering around for what it seems like an eternity. Well, at least that oddity is cleared up.

November 11
Mon, 08-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I'm still abit confused with the snail and lost cow terms =S.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm still abit confused with the snail and lost cow terms =S.

"Snail" = "lost cow" phonetically, I believe. The last kanji of "snail" is the same kanji as "cow".

Araragi didn't "want to go home", and met the criteria to encounter a "lost cow". He is the one who can't find his destination as that is what happens to one who encounters a lost cow, aka snail, and the solution was to just back away from her.

The girl was lost because she couldn't comprehend the fact that roads have changed over the years. I actually wonder whether or not she saw her home as it was all those years back when they arrived at the empty lot, given how emotional she was.

That, or she just somehow recognised she was "home".

oyabun
Mon, 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
The whole confession scene was so unique. amazing.

Yukimura
Mon, 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Did he actually answer her confession or just sort of nod his head in agreement?

EDIT: NVM, apparently "Senjougahara fascination coming into fashion would be a good thing" was his way of saying he likes her back.... As much as I hate that he panders to her abuse that comment does fit with his way of deflecting her abusive comments.

In other news, after reading commentary on this episode apparently there were a lot of hints leading up to the mid-episode mystery revelation and I managed to miss all of them because I was trying to pay attention to what was said was mostly ignoring the action and completely ignoring what wasn't being said.

Realizing this lead me to realize that this show is even more dense than I originally thought after the talk heavy first arc. It seems like everything that is said, everything that happens, and even everything that is not said or does not happen eventually plays a part in the grand tapestry of storytelling that is being woven. One would be deficient in their viewing experience if they were to miss or forget the slightest detail as it seems like they will all end up coming back (e.g Hanekawa being able to see Mayoi will probably turn into an arc). While deep and well connected storytelling is obviously a good thing for the show I feel somewhat put off by the high demand that the storytelling puts on my memory when viewing weekly. I think I'll try and watch arc by arc from now on instead of episode by episode.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Araragi doesn't need to worry, Senjougahara fascination will definitely be in fashion, if it isn't already

The stark contrast between the bold faced lies and straight truth that comes from her statically cold and thorny demeanor makes Senjougahara very interesting. She even sounds arrogant when admitting her insecurities.

Yukimura
Mon, 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I think Senjougahara fever is sweeping its way through the anime scene with a Mio-like fervor, I dare say she has even replaced dear Mio for many as their top fantasy waifu. Despite my overall dislike for her she still manages to fascinate by virtue of just how much she can surprise me in the course of being irritating.

Board of Command
Mon, 08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
I was never caught up in the Mio thing. Senjougahara, on the other hand...

MAI WAIFU~

Pandadice
Tue, 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I think Senjougahara fever is sweeping its way through the anime scene with a Mio-like fervor, I dare say she has even replaced dear Mio for many as their top fantasy waifu. Despite my overall dislike for her she still manages to fascinate by virtue of just how much she can surprise me in the course of being irritating.

i'd have to disagree. probably on more of a Horo scale than a Mio. definitely.

I was never caught up in the Mio thing. Senjougahara, on the other hand...

MAI WAIFU~

neither was I.. but mugi and yui and ui on the other hand...

Death BOO Z
Tue, 08-04-2009, 03:25 AM
never heard about mio, horo, mugi, yui or ui, but I still think that Senjoughara is awesome,

Yukimura
Tue, 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
After thinking about it some more I'm inclined to agree with you Pandadice, I was tunnel visioning on a certain slice of fandom but Senjougahara's appeal is probably not as strong among some of the more pure moe demographics.

Still, I have been looking to see if anyone has anything bad or even non-praiseworthy to say about her and I continue to come up short.

David75
Tue, 08-04-2009, 11:04 AM
After thinking about it some more I'm inclined to agree with you Pandadice, I was tunnel visioning on a certain slice of fandom but Senjougahara's appeal is probably not as strong among some of the more pure moe demographics.

Still, I have been looking to see if anyone has anything bad or even non-praiseworthy to say about her and I continue to come up short.

I too would have a hard time classifying Senjougahara as moe. She's looks too old and too woman like for the title.
Just watch her ways of moving, her body expressions, the way she dresses and walk. For some reasons, those details ring something into me saying she's more in the woman camp, than in the teenager one. It's only anime, but it seems to work that way for me.

Kraco
Tue, 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Senjougahara's character was built very nicely in this last episode. Or concluded to a degree. How she has been coping with and hiding such a drastic curse that it has made her continuously doubt herself. Who knows what she was like before that but her acidic nature was undoubtly enhanced by it as a defense mechanism. An outer shell. I can't say I'd be her fan like I'm somebody like Rin's fan, but she seems like a pretty solid character.

I think it was actually almost moving to consider her actions in retrospect after this episode. How nobody before had cared enough to try to help her - or so she said at least, which might be true considering what manner of a personality she had acquired. Surely her infamous stapler attack hadn't been developed for nothing. Yet she was seemingly desperate for a human contact but with impaired means to obtain one.

With such a twisted personality and situation, who knows how much she feared she would lose Araragi if her confession was turned down. Ironically enough her ways of gathering courage was the stupid game of demanding Araragi to ask for a reward and the even more natural and contradictory way of mocking and insulting him. A really lucky girl to find somebody like Araragi who is, probably, too dense to be insulted...

Pandadice
Tue, 08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
so why don't they just rename this show Senjogahara, and cut out all that junk about vampires and gods and spirits.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
so why don't they just rename this show Senjogahara, and cut out all that junk about vampires and gods and spirits.

Why should they do that?

Pandadice
Tue, 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
because clearly no one cares about that.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
because clearly no one cares about that.

I'll admit I look forward to seeing Senjogahara every week more than seeing the mystery of the week.

At the same time however, I also look forward to them explaining exactly what happened during the Spring break that transformed Araragi into a vampire. In fact, it is this very happening that allowed such an encounter between Araragi and Senjogahara.

Would Araragi be as willing to help people if he wasn't helped by someone before? Would Senjogahara be as attractively insulting had she not met the weight crab?

Upbringing and experience play a large part in making a character what they are.

Openly embracing the Senjogahara fascination doesn't mean there's nothing of interest in the show neither. I for one still enjoy seeing each mystery unfold.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
@Pandadice - I don't get why you are so against people fawning over a character a bit. I believe that the people discussing in this thread have posted in the forums enough to show that even with one (very) good character, we are not the type to watch and praise a bad show. We just find there very little to discuss about the mystery part yet, particularly since very little has been revealed. Just because I like Senjougahara and talk about her does not mean they could get away with crap direction or a pointless plot. They did excellent jobs on both those btw.

If you would like to start a discussion about something other than Senjougahara, then please do so, I would gladly participate.

Yukimura
Wed, 08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah I'm going to go one step further and say that to date this show has really been about just Senjougahara, Araragi, and their blossoming relationship. Both of the mysteries have served to reveal things about the background of each character to both the audience and the other character as well as propel the relationship forward. I am now expecting this sort of thing in the future arcs. While ostensibly focusing on some other characters and issues, I think they will all end up revealing more about Senjou or Araragi and expanding their relationship.

Marik
Sun, 08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
[Nipponsei] Bakemonogatari ED Single - Kimi no Shira nai Monogatari [supercell].zip (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=79438)

Pandadice
Mon, 08-10-2009, 01:35 AM
[gg]​_Bakemonogatari​_-​_06​_[C0D344D1].mkv (http://www.ggkthx.org/Torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_06_%5BC0D344D1%5D.mkv.torrent)

Board of Command
Mon, 08-10-2009, 10:29 AM
That running scene at the beginning was awfully reminiscent of another Shaft product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBTO9XAkbRE

Pandadice
Mon, 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
for the most part this episode was definitely more boring than the previous ones, but then the ape beat him at the end and it was like the coolest ep. so i guess overall it was decent.

Nadouku
Mon, 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I liked how Senjougahara and Araragi talked about each other's ambitions (among other things)... almost like wife and husband. Other than that, Kanbaru beating the shit out of Araragi? Damn, that's one sick hatred.

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 08-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I liked the humor in this ep, and indeed the beating @ the end made this one the best. But there are limits to how arrogant someone can be. Senjougahara simply handing over the payment after seeing Aryaryagi splattered all over the rail track.. I know he has his healing, but damn.. That's cold.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I think she was just trying to contain her shock. Judging from the previous episodes, when faced with her own weakness, Senjougahara acts more coldly than one would expect possible.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-11-2009, 12:52 AM
I think she was just trying to contain her shock.

Exactly my thoughts. This line of thought might be subjective, but I felt her coldness was forced in that scene. By not panicking, the next easiest thing to do is to express herself like she (recently) always has.

I enjoyed the random confessions and jealousy spikes just as much as seeing Kanbaru go apeshit. I also smell yuri around the corner.

I wonder what the requirements for seeing Hachikuji are now, and who exactly can see her. I doubt it'll be the same as when she was a Lost Snail.

Marik
Sat, 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 07​ [D36999C8].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_07_%5BD36999C8%5D.mkv.torrent)

Time for more Tsundere-chan and Arararagi-kun.

Kraco
Sat, 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
The first scene was awesome. Although I'm not sure how much it would help Araragi's recuperation to have all his blood accumulate to a place that has little to do with healing wounds... Anyway, I reckon Senjougahara is simply a realist and thus wasn't apparently overly worried about Araragi, knowing he would heal. Of course there might have been some shock and masked concern involved as well.

Kanbaru turned out to be a pretty funny girl. Even if she didn't have a monkey arm but a demonic arm.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM
At times, Araragi-kun must wish he didn't have such fast recovering abilities. :)

The piece of hair on him is highly entertaining.

Marik
Sat, 08-22-2009, 08:13 PM
The first scene was awesome.
Indeed it was. Araragi is lucky to have such a caring girlfriend. She gave him some great entertainment while he recovered from his injuries.

I didn't think I'd like Kanbaru much after her first appearance, but she grew on me immensely in this episode. I loved her reaction when Araragi touched her arm and I enjoyed the conversation she had with him on the way to see Oshino. I wouldn't mind seeing her become a serious rival for Araragi's affection.

Nadouku
Sat, 08-22-2009, 08:30 PM
That tease was just too good to be true.

Kraco
Sun, 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing her become a serious rival for Araragi's affection.

Wouldn't that mean she would cease to be a lesbian? I got the feeling she was offering to take Senjougahara's place as Araragi's girlfriend simply to get Araragi away from her beloved senpai girl. Not that anybody would have accepted such a proposition but if he had, she would have no doubt dumped him in no time, leaving him without any girl. Quite a desperate plan indeed, and no way someone like Araragi who was hesitant to accept Senjougahara's approach in the first place would ever accept it. This also means I can't really see her ever becoming a serious rival. Unless she really becomes straight and starts to genuinely like Araragi like Senjougahara did.

I would rather not see too strong harem vibes in this exquisite series.

Marik
Sun, 08-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Unless she really becomes straight and starts to genuinely like Araragi like Senjougahara did.

Senjougahara confessed to Araragi after he helped her with her weight problem. I'm thinking that Kanbaru, could fall for him in the same manner.

oyabun
Sun, 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Well she said she was a lesbian, but maybe :)

Pandadice
Sun, 08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
so with this show its like each progressing episode makes the previous one look better by comparison...

i.. i really just didn't like this episode. i mean, i guess i just didn't know how much i appreciated senjogaha until she was practically unseen in this episode and replaced by some other chick who isn't any where near as good as senjogahara...

i'll watch this show for senjogahara, but i'm not gonna call it a favorite, or probably even recommend it to anyone based off of her :\

but they better put her back in <.<

also uh.. araragi's reaction to her telling him she was a lesbian was weird.. i didn't really know how to take it...

Lucifus
Sun, 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you serious? Well, whatever floats your boat. This episode was genius.

Love the new character addition, lets see what they make out it.

oyabun
Sun, 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't know what Pandadice doesn't like in the episode. The scenes were amazing and the conversation were very smart. I also like how they incorporate the myths and legends of the world.
Who ever thought that a common sporty girl could be very interesting..

Pandadice
Mon, 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't know what Pandadice doesn't like in the episode. The scenes were amazing and the conversation were very smart. I also like how they incorporate the myths and legends of the world.
Who ever thought that a common sporty girl could be very interesting..

wait, how is a discussion over whether or not she's wearing panties "smart"?

the "oddities" focus was definitely the reason i picked this up. but honestly, its just too much of a harem without any real focus on anything else to be interesting.. well, if you don't look at the girls. but then, if you consider it a harem, and then just look at the girls, yeah, senjogahara is a pretty interesting character. but when you've got a lousy harem with uninteresting girls, it's just doesn't seem worth the time.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-24-2009, 03:09 AM
wait, how is a discussion over whether or not she's wearing panties "smart"?

I never considered Senjougahara not wearing panties. Now I have. Araragi is lucky man.

(actually, I'd prefer if she wore something. More tasteful.)

Uberbaka
Mon, 08-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Well maybe this series isn't for you then and you should stop watching...

I'm really enjoying the dynamic conversations and seeing where things go and just sucking up the atmosphere/jokes.

oyabun
Mon, 08-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Well maybe this series isn't for you then and you should stop watching...

I'm really enjoying the dynamic conversations and seeing where things go and just sucking up the atmosphere/jokes.

Me too. And I agree that if you don't find the conversation interesting, you should drop the series pandadice.

And Buff I think he's talking about the conversation between Kanbaru and Araragi-kun.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-24-2009, 05:24 AM
And Buff I think he's talking about the conversation between Kanbaru and Araragi-kun.

Ah. That's right, that happened too.

Is it obvious that the first scene's all that's on my mind?

oyabun
Mon, 08-24-2009, 05:53 AM
hahhahaha. Arararagi-kun healed quite fast because of that.

David75
Thu, 08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Regarding Senjougahara's underdress, well I guess that well misplaced pants could be a good way to have both the naked and pants advantage ;)

I also think Senjougahara is a sadist. Not necessarilly a bad thing, just a part of who she is.

Regarding Kanbaru, Senjougahara probably is smart enough to use her, or at least be at the right place, the right moment.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Senjougahara isn't the type to use people. If she was, she would have taken Kanbaru's offer to help before. The only reason she accepted Araragi's offer was because he was also in a strange situation, being a former vampire. That means that she will not be dragging him into anything he will not be prepared for.

I agree that she is a sadist though.

Marik
Sun, 08-30-2009, 02:01 AM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 08​ [96B4221C].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_08_%5B96B4221C%5D.mkv.torrent)

It's Ghostory time.

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2009, 05:02 AM
I didn't like this episode as much as the ones before. I didn't hate it, either, but somehow it just clicked the wrong way, because it was the first ep where Araragi's personality somewhat bothered me. There better be a very good reason for why he's ready to even die for half-strangers. I don't think he was a real vampire for too long so I doubt he's trying to atone for any deep sins, like killing someone.

Oshino was as cool as ever, though. The lesser demon was quite a mofo despite being lesser. Makes you think meeting a full-blooded demon would be very bad business. Not to mention a higher one.

oyabun
Sun, 08-30-2009, 07:19 AM
I never thought that Senjou believed Araragi when he told her he drove his bike to the telephone post. Honestly I was hoping to see Araragi using his vampire powers in action. but I was satisfied on how it ended (Senjou and Kanbaru Yuri scene). Makes you wonder how strong Araragi kun was in the past. We had some info regarding Shinobu with her relationship with Araragi kun which is good.

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I never thought that Senjou believed Araragi when he told her he drove his bike to the telephone post.

Haha. As if she could ever believe something like that. She just didn't press the issue. Surely she knew something drastic had happened to Araragi but didn't know what. Now she simply said what she did to lay more guilt and blame on the poor gutted 1/10 of a vampire.

oyabun
Sun, 08-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Hmm it really looked like she didn't know anything at all. Otherwise she would not brought up her agreement with Araragi about don't never hide things regarding oddities. And knowing Senjou she would have confronted him earlier.

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Hmm it really looked like she didn't know anything at all. Otherwise she would not brought up her agreement with Araragi about don't never hide things regarding oddities. And knowing Senjou she would have confronted him earlier.

I don't see your point. She might have opted not to bring it up earlier because she had no idea what was going on and intended to bring it up after she learnt more. Or maybe a suitable opportunity to ask just didn't happen. However, seeing Araragi getting beaten to death was pissing her off and knowing her personality it would certainly fit her to just hurt Araragi a little more by making a point out of how he broke the promise.

If nothing had ever happened, she might have ended up ignoring the whole issue and her suspicions.

Pandadice
Sun, 08-30-2009, 02:58 PM
eh, episode was okay. more enjoyable than previous ones.

i definitely think Oshino (thats his name, right?) is my favorite character... he kinda reminds me House. that is if he gets all the credit Araragi was giving him

Nadouku
Sun, 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Oshino is very perceptive, and really intellectual. He is easily one of my favorites. As for the rest of the episode, it was informative on Kanbaru's little past with the "Monkey Paw" and jealousy over her classmates, but if she truly desires for it to happen, then there's no stopping her and her little paw from achieving it.

alpha826
Wed, 09-02-2009, 12:58 AM
is qIIq still doing subs for this show? or should i just stick with gg? i like how qIIq gives you the traslation notes for all the text.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I thought this episode was really awesome.

Marik
Wed, 09-02-2009, 03:20 AM
I thought this episode was really awesome.
Me too.

I especially liked how Senjougahara, showed that she cares for Araragi-kun by jumping in front of Kanbaru's attack to protect him and exclaiming that she'd kill Kanbaru no matter what it takes if Araragi had died.

Oshino was awesome as always and I liked Kanbaru's attire at the end.

I hope Mayoi shows up again soon.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Me too.

I originally described it as "fucking brilliant", but thought I should reserve the phrase for something undeniably excellent.

I liked Kanbaru's attire at the end.

I actually didn't like it so much. Her attire and cheeky smile at the end reminded me too much of Mayoi, as if Kanbaru was a sporty rip-off because the author ran out of ideas.

Senjougahara in a hoodie, on the other hand....~<3

Very reminiscent of Fujibaiyashi Kyou's look in her After Story Special. l

Marik
Wed, 09-02-2009, 03:52 AM
Senjougahara in a hoodie, on the other hand....~<3
I didn't like that, because she was wearing some type of leggings with it. I prefer her in a skirt <3.

oyabun
Wed, 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM
The episode was really brutal, intestine anyone?

David75
Wed, 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The episode was really brutal, intestine anyone?
Yup, felt it too..., his intestine are incredibly strong though, there's no way that stunt is possible in real-life, since intestine are very fragile.

Kraco
Wed, 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Yup, felt it too..., his intestine are incredibly strong though, there's no way that stunt is possible in real-life, since intestine are very fragile.

Yeah. If you think about it, vampires should have even weaker intestines since they do nothing but drink.

David75
Wed, 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah. If you think about it, vampires should have even weaker intestines since they do nothing but drink.
I wonder if their instestine even work for digesting blood.
I'd say they just become dry and take very little room.
But I've never had the luck to dissect a vampire in my biology classes :D

Also, the guy hasn't been a vampire long enough, and except for his incredible recovery abilities, he remains your everyday teenager.

Thinking about his recovery abilities, will he ever age or die?
That's a very important question Senjougahara might someday ask.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Thinking about his recovery abilities, will he ever age or die?
That's a very important question Senjougahara might someday ask.

I think he will. Normally, he's got faster healing and 10x zoom lense, but nothing else. His current state is a temporary powerup he got by letting the cute vampire suck his blood for a while.

As for the digestive system, liquids are absorbed in your large intestines, proteins are broken down a bit in your stomach into amino acids, while your small intestines do pretty much everything else.

Again, the powerup is what gave his intestines super-tensile strength. Normally they'd break, and normally he'd eat normal foods like a not-so-normal teenager.

---------
edit: ran into the translated lyrics and MV for the ED song:Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari

http://www.shin-otaku.com/20090817141717-bakemonogatari.htm

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I love the ED. Isn't it amazing that it is sung by software?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Sung by software? As in the voice is computer generated?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-02-2009, 11:53 PM
It is a song by Supercell featuring Hatsune Miku. I'm sure you know her by now.

Marik
Thu, 09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
It is a song by Supercell featuring Hatsune Miku. I'm sure you know her by now.

That was just for an album. Gazelle aka "Nagi" is the one singing on the Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari single.

Kraco
Thu, 09-03-2009, 01:03 AM
It doesn't even sound anything like Hatsune Miku... You can't help but notice if the singer is a vocaloid. They aren't quite that developed yet.

It's a nice ED. Much better this way of course, with a real singer.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-03-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm sure you know her by now.

I do now.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Oh, I haven't heard any of the other Miku songs yet, my mistake. I am going to download some Miku songs now to compare them.

I am both relieved yet disappointed. There is a part of me that does not wish for AI to usurp human talents, yet I must admit I am excited as to how far we can take technology.

TheBladeChild
Thu, 09-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Saw the first episode, seemed interesting, I might pick this up. Anyone recommend which group I should go with?

Marik
Thu, 09-03-2009, 04:26 AM
I say go with gg.

oyabun
Fri, 09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Saw the first episode, seemed interesting, I might pick this up. Anyone recommend which group I should go with?

Its the best decision you made this season.:)

Marik
Sat, 09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 09​ [5E8B7A48].​mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_09_%5B5E8B7A48%5D.mkv.torrent)

It's Ghostory time once again.

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Kraco
Sat, 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I was somewhat disquieted by the lack of Senjougahara and especially with Araragi being so close to Kanbaru but then the new arc plot shifted to a higher gear and I forgot all about it. But in retrospect I wonder if they actually aren't purposefully saving Senjougahara's screentime so that people will miss her and not get bored of her. Not to mention the last scenes with Kanbaru and Sengoku were definitely funnier with a lesbian character like Kanbaru in.

Looking for the porn mags as the first thing in a boy's room... Certainly a direct and straight-forward person. Naturally made even better by Araragi confessing he had been buying them. The dude always seemed kind of passive (other than in helping people with their myriad troubles) but apparently there's still hope left for him. Too bad we didn't learn what he'd like to do with Senjougahara...

The episode also displayed quite interesting animation in the shrine area. Suits a mystery series like this well with its phobic or paranoid qualities.

Nadouku
Sat, 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
A snake's curse? I see why she dismembered all of those snake bodies. Still, I kind of forgot that Araragi had a last name. :p

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-06-2009, 12:14 AM
A snake's curse? I see why she dismembered all of those snake bodies. Still, I kind of forgot that Araragi had a last name. :p

I'm sure you meant a first name. It's Araragi Koyomi, after all. It makes me wonder at what stage the couple will start calling each other Hitagi/Koyomi instead of Senjougahara/Araragi. I like the latter though, since it sounds more obsure.

When Kanbaru gave that little smirk, or whatever that reaction is called, when Araragi asked about her arm, I thought either it had already healed, or that it will never heal. She might be happy that he's caring about her, but I have my confidence in her lesbian nature.

I'm liking this Nadeko arc. She's the most disturbed out of the troubled people we've seen so far, giving this a much more mysterious and serious atmosphere.

Everon
Sun, 09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
What's up with Tsubasa? She seems to have something supernatural going around her too. Headaches aside, I noticed earlier she managed to spot Mayoi, even when Senjougahara couldn't.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-06-2009, 12:37 AM
What's up with Tsubasa? She seems to have something supernatural going around her too. Headaches aside, I noticed earlier she managed to spot Mayoi, even when Senjougahara couldn't.

Araragi concluded that Tsubasa must have seen Mayoi because she didn't feel like going home neither. She too was wandering around on Mother's Day.

oyabun
Sun, 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM
One word.. Bloomers. The room scene in the last part of the episode was awesome. Great shots(LOL), comedy between Kanbaru and Araragi's Mags And the bloomers. Awesome.

Nadouku
Sun, 09-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm sure you meant a first name. It's Araragi Koyomi, after all.

It has been a while since I've heard anything other than "Araragi" so my mind is troubled. ;)

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
This series needs more Shinobu-chan. Kanbaru was right, she's almost too cute.

This arc isn't grabbing me the way the others did, I may have to wait for the custom theme song before I get interested.

Pandadice
Tue, 09-08-2009, 02:38 AM
so the music that kicked in at 7:15 (when he loses sight of Kanbaru) was awesome. so awesome, that when that one background theme that they use a lot kicked in when Hanekawa was bringing up his closeness with Kanbaru, it seemed really annoying. at the beginning of the series i just kinda ignored the track, but after hearing that one in this ep prior, i guess it got me paying more attention to the background music :\.

the scene where they see the dead snakes, and then when they stop her from killing the snake. those scenes were cool, and interesting. and the ending, weeding through the fanservice, was interesting as well. but all the rest of the stuff (what like, 85% of the episode?) wasn't really interesting :\.

so far i like this snake arc... but i mean, this like 15% snake story, 85% other random stuff.. not expecting much from it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-08-2009, 03:55 AM
I am surprised you have kept up with this show considering you are only always around 15-20% interested in it. I would have dropped any show that didn't keep my interest at least 60-70% of the time. It would be a waste of my time to do otherwise.

The gaijin 4koma meme was brilliantly used in this episode, mainly because Kanbaru's facial expression.

Yukimura
Tue, 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Is it really so surprising that someone isn't like you in a particular way? And even if it is, what point is there in mentioning it here? Is it that big of a secret that different people have different motivations and different standards of tolerance?

Anyway, I rather liked the lack of Senjogahara in this ep, I wonder if that's a surprise for anyone too... While I often enjoy Senjogahara for her crazy, emotionally confusing antics I think she can be sort of smothering for Koyomi. He tends to be very weak and I daresay useless around her and since I identify Koyomi as the main character it annoys me to see him upstaged too much. Coming off his rather useless performance in the conclusion of the last arc I feel like Koyomi needs to flex some main character muscles for an episode or two to keep things in balance. I imagine Senjogahara will be along soon enough to berate him for something or other but I'm hoping he'll be able to resolve this snake issue without too much help from her.

Kraco
Tue, 09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping he'll be able to resolve this snake issue without too much help from her.

I actually fully agree on this even though Senjougahara doesn't disturb me otherwise at all nor do I mind the fact Araragi is completely under her control whenever they are together. But it certainly would be nice to see Araragi manage to play a bigger role in solving a case. I don't believe Senjougahara personally is even interested in solving strangers' problems like Araragi.

Pandadice
Tue, 09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
wait, what exactly has senjogahara solved in the past? araragi's first reaction to any oddity is to show it to Oshino. who then fixes it.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
wait, what exactly has senjogahara solved in the past? araragi's first reaction to any oddity is to show it to Oshino. who then fixes it.

Okay, "fix" wasn't exactly the right word there if you put it like that. It's more like "play an important part", perhaps even more important than Araragi.

Mayoi Snail:

She pointed out to Oshino that Araragi was talking to something she can't see. That was critical in identifying the problem, which Araragi himself didn't see. Oshino will have figured it out of he brought Mayoi to his place, but that would make it a different scenario. She also played some part in directing them to her lost home. Araragi, who wasn't from the area, may have thought it was his own fault for not finding the place, rather than considering the place actually cannot be found.

Suruga Monkey:

She came and saved Araragi's life. Saving protagonist's life = "play an important part". Araragi thought he could prove to the devil that it can't kill him by defeating it (and proving he was stronger). Oshino told him the chance was slim, and it indeed failed. Even with his regenerative abilities, he would have died. Senjougahara was the one who could turn that situation around.

Oshino called her, but we really don't know how much instructions he gave her, and how much of her actions were on-the-spot after assessing the situation.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Is it really so surprising that someone isn't like you in a particular way? And even if it is, what point is there in mentioning it here? Is it that big of a secret that different people have different motivations and different standards of tolerance?

The point is, if all one does is complain about the show without properly elaborating on why they dislike it, why watch it then post about it in the first place? It almost feels like trolling, though I am sure that is not his intent, which is why I tried to phrase my last post in a relatively suggestive and least offensive (that I can manage) manner.

EDIT: While I love Hitagi, I hope Araragi solves this case with Kanbaru. I don't think Hitagi will have interesting interactions with Snake girl, at least in comparison to Kanbaru who is a loli-loving lesbian.

Marik
Sun, 09-13-2009, 04:25 AM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 10​ [E40C2606].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_10_%5BE40C2606%5D.mkv.torrent)

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Hmm... I still would like to know why Araragi is so hellbent on saving everybody. The ritual this time was rather interesting, in any case, as was the detail Araragi could just grab the constrictor and fight it physically. I imagine it would have been over in a mere moment if he wasn't only 1/10 of a vampire. Still might have been if he hadn't fought with bare hands.

Yuki's wish was fully granted seeing how Senjougahara never appeared or had even a single line in the whole episode. Plus Araragi ended up playing a big part in solving the case. I do hope, though, that Senjougahara appears in the next episode. She's supposed to be Araragi's girlfriend, after all. One might say Kanbaru has paid back her debt after this case and could thus withdraw. Unless Araragi turned her into a bi...

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Animation this episode was terrible. Most of the action parts were cut out, and there are scenes when Araragi is talking but his mouth stays still.

Despite all that, I still liked this episode, especially the Araragi development. It is great that he recognizes the inherent absurdity in his "kindness".

At the moment he was fighting the snake, Araragi was not even 1/10 of a vampire. He needed to power up using Shinobu just to reach that level when he fought (got pawned) by Kanbaru. It is interesting that it is in fact Araragi's decision to keep himself in the middle of humanity and the other side, just to keep Shinobu alive or something of the sort.

Senjougahara will have her hands full with such a self-sacrificing boyfriend, especially because those are the really popular types in anime.

fireheart
Sun, 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM
The arc felt a bit short and less conclusive than the others might be because the scene with the sisters at the end was missing. Also there wasn't really that much background info on Sengoku and interaction compared to the others. But I did like how it ended.

Anyway don't really know how the novels are but it too bad that we don't really get to see how Araragis oddity started with the vampire and Oshino.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-14-2009, 02:33 AM
The arc felt a bit short and less conclusive than the others might be because the scene with the sisters at the end was missing. Also there wasn't really that much background info on Sengoku and interaction compared to the others. But I did like how it ended.

It makes the ending less conclusive, as you say, as well as more gloomy. I can't say it's not appropriate, since this arc discussed some of the less-than-cheerful aspects of Araragi's actions and consequences. The bloody arm was a good scene to end on, IMO, as it sums up the situation: it's not always win-win.

The reminiscence scenes were really well done though. I liked how they used slides for Araragi's lines instead of his voice so it was still Sengoku's monologue, so as to not split the focus.

As for the butchered fight and non-moving mouthflaps, I don't think SHAFT has much of an excuse.

--------------
edit: Actually, I take that back. Rewatching that, I'm appreciating more of the effect of SHAFT's animation choice. The lack of animation combined with tense music conveyed the essence of the fight very well:

wtf is going on?

It's exactly what Araragi's going through as he fought his invisible adversary. The red/white stills were great. As he was struggling with that oddity, the only thing he knows for sure is if he's fine, or whether he just got attacked.

It's just like the pulsating, flashing red screens in first-person-shooters. You know you just got attacked, but you can't see shit.

Bright blue/pink/yellow SHAFTY colours would be just plain inappropriate. If it was animated normally, well, it wouldn't be SHAFT.

I still don't get the mouthflaps. It looks more like a sync stuff-up rather than lazy animation, as it makes sense when you use [Voice-Line] instead of Araragi's shot.

/edit
--------------

BUT SERIOUSLY, HOW ADORABLE WAS THAT OP?!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-14-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm betting it was not intentional, and they had some animation problems. For now, there is no way to tell for certain, so I will wait for the DVD release and check for the differences.

Kraco
Mon, 09-14-2009, 03:55 AM
It would certainly be quite funny if they indeed are so sorely lacking in animators that they simply couldn't get the animation finished before the airing date.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-14-2009, 05:55 AM
I read about that rumor as well, and it would make sense for it to be the primary reason for such an animation, as well as for the DVDs to have more complete animation given the general public response.

Given their circumstances, I thought the idea and effect in this episode was really smart.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
started watching this some days ago...

this show really has it's moments
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2951/bmgreaction.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/i/bmgreaction.jpg/)
couldn't stop laughing

... and the whole show is so strange, which makes it even better...
I really enjoy this.

Pandadice
Mon, 09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
whoooa!! this episode was amazing! this is easily my favorite episode. man, it just disappoints me when i think that the entire show could've been as cool as this episode..

the coloring and atmosphere, and the fact that it was from start to finish, entirely focused on the snake curse without even really mentioning anything else, this is exactly what i wanted.

BUT SERIOUSLY, HOW ADORABLE WAS THAT OP?!

i know right?! i loved that OP!! it was seriously like my favorite OP of this season ¦D

-

also.. i don't get why everyone's complaing about the animation.. it didn't seem any different than the animation of any of the other episodes.... if anything it was cooler

Yukimura
Mon, 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I found I really liked this ep, as Kraco mentioned I have been wanting to see what the show could do without any Senjougahara antics to grab and hold people's interest. I actually liked Kanbaru much more as the sidekick for Araragi in this arc. Her cheerfulness and genki spirit appeal well to my preferences for sidekick/morality compass characters. Hopefully Araragi managed to learn a lesson from this ordeal through Kanbaru's wake up punch and one liner instead of having to have Senjogahara rub his face in it with her special style of passive aggressive shaming but I'm somewhat doubtful.

Koyomi still seems to think he has the weight of the whole world on his shoulders and it's his duty in life to save every stray person whose got some sort of problem. At the same time Koyomi doesn't seem to show much appreciation or interest in the feelings of anyone once he's been a catalyst in 'saving' them. Instead of building up his relationships with the people he's already saved he seems to start treating them as potentially useful tools for helping him find and save the next damsel in distress. Whether this will come up in the end as something he has to confront in himself remains to be seen but I hope that the story addresses this somehow as I find it a rather interesting personality quirk to think about.

Nadouku
Mon, 09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I kind of knew there were gonna be two snakes for Sengoku, but I was a little surprised that Araragi didn't catch that until later on. Aside from that, I was little annoyed by the "cut" parts.

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Animation this episode was terrible. Most of the action parts were cut out, and there are scenes when Araragi is talking but his mouth stays still.

It is interesting that it is in fact Araragi's decision to keep himself in the middle of humanity and the other side, just to keep Shinobu alive or something of the sort.
I think Bill's edit said it better than I could, the animation served its purpose of conveying Araragi's sensation of barely knowing what was going on. He couldn't see it, and he was only occasionally catching glimpses of it and hearing it every once in a while. Our view of it was equally disjointed.

Also, SHAFT does this crap all the time, and has for years. It's their thing, and their style. They did it so much in one arc of Tsukuyomi MoonPhase that I nearly dropped the series (my first "shafty" SHAFT series). The scenes were intentionally very disjointed and confusing. It was revealed at the end of the arc why, and everything returned to normal. They did it in ef - a tale of memories as well, to notable effect in episode 7. Panic was portrayed in most of the most visual representations of it I have ever seen. Lastly, Pani Poni Dash and Maria+Holic both exploited stills or panning stills to their maximum effect.

As for Araragi and Shinobu, I think this episode did a pretty admirable job of explaining their current relationship. To my understanding, Shinobu's adult and awesome form cursed him into becoming a vampire, and he was narrowly saved. She was consequently destroyed, and became the adorably cute little girl with a permanent blush she is today. Much like the snake that he wanted to kill here, Araragi is trying to save the "bad person" with Shinobu. He tried to save Sengoku's curse bringer before Kanbaru stopped him, and he already has been doing the same with Shinobu. She cursed him, he freed himself of it, and even now he wishes to save her from the backlash.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 09-14-2009, 05:22 PM
wait a minute, you're saying that all those 'cut' animation are actually 'filler' that will be redrawn in the dvd release?
that's really half assed. I assumed it was an artistic choice of saying "screw this part, we don't feel like drawing, and it's not important".
and this episode had a lot of those.

on the other hand, the new OP is really cute, and they addressed Aragari's 'sis-com' that was mentioned in the beginning.

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM
In all of their series I have seen, shaft has never needed to redo their animation for the DVDs aside from censoring, which they usually avoid the need for completely through creative means. It is as they intended.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure, but were the parts where Araragi was talking but his mouth was not moving supposed to be that way? I initially thought it was an encoding issue or something, but if every release looks like that, then it must be because of the animation itself.

In that case, I really don't get why they didn't animate him talking, and simply chose to keep a frozen frame while the VA continues speaking. It shouldn't be that much more time consuming or difficult.

Still, with Shaft's usual style, they can get away with things like this. They get to save up on money, and people will forgive them for it, as I did.

Marik
Sun, 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 11​ [E3AAF21C].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_11_%5BE3AAF21C%5D.mkv.torrent)

Ghostory time.

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Death BOO Z
Sun, 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM
next ep is last tv episode?
what the hell, why?

hanakewa as a cat girl was totally hot.

Marik
Sun, 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Episodes13-15 will be streamed online, so it won't be too bad.

Kraco
Mon, 09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
hanakewa as a cat girl was totally hot.

She indeed was. I wonder how Araragi is going to solve her case, though. If he has to fix her troubles family situation (assuming that was the truth), it might not be so clean as the cases so far. After all, he can't just remove her evil stepparents. Getting rid of the catgirl was only treating the symptoms not the cause and I can't see one vampire bite would be too permanent a solution.

Although I'm not too sure I'd even like to see some ugly family drama...

What I do want to see before the end is Senjougahara!

Pandadice
Mon, 09-21-2009, 02:28 AM
oh, so no more snake story? moving on from the snake arc? series going back to how it's been all along? oh.. can they just endless eight-loop episode 10 as the rest of the series? i'd watch it...

so more mono-tone continuous conversation about nothing :\. and when we finally got to the introduction of the oddity, it's the most ridiculous one yet... seriously, the chick morphs into a neko-mimi and jumps around sucking up energy, and it's all caused from stress-induced multiple personality disorder? .. i mean, yeah they were able to finally make Hanekawa look attractive, but still, it seems like such a joke oddity :\

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-21-2009, 04:17 AM
Maybe Tsubasa Cat is stressed because the guy she likes got stolen by a crab.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Sengoku Nadeko FTW!!

I'm guessing that too, since it's supposed to be different.

Nadouku
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Heh, cat-girl and stress... what a combination.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Heh, cat-girl and stress... what a combination.

Come to think of it, there should be quite a few academically stressed females in my cohort right about now. I certainly won't mind if they all turn up as cat-girls tomorrow and sucked me dr- ... never mind.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM
This was my first guess as well. They were talking about Senjougahara right before she got the headache, and a large portion of their conversation in the bookstore was about his relationship with Senjougahara as well.

While it isn't really a huge problem for the other girls so far, a ghost who follows him around, a self-described lesbian just hanging out with him, and a girl who still has plenty of excuses being his sister's friend, Koyomi is spending a great deal more time with Senjougahara than with Hanekawa, whom he used to rely on exclusively before he met Senjougahara on the spiral stairs.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Bakemonogatari 12 by DD (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=87635)

Because of this episode, Hitagi is now my favorite character in all anime, and Bakemonogatari in my all-time favorites list.

EDIT: These subs are pretty good. There is no need to wait for gg, so watch this.

oyabun
Sun, 09-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Now I understand what you said shinta about not wanting to watch any other anime after you watched Bakemonogatari..

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2009, 07:13 AM
HITAGI IS GREAT. BAKEMONOGATARI IS GREAT.

@gg: Hitagi > Aion. Sub it.

------------
Since I love the ED and read the lyrics (http://www.shin-otaku.com/20090817141717-bakemonogatari.htm) to it, the star-gazing scene was even better.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Yes!!! @ the ending comment.

Did they choose that ED song because the story ending had that (fantastic, awesome, orgasmic) part? Or did they put it in the anime because of the (fantastic, awesome, orgasmic) ED song? I mean, they even mentioned the Summer Triangle in the show, which is a central theme in the song.

That episode made me laugh and cry in the span of a few minutes. The words that came from Hitagi hold so much more weight because of her character. She is tsundere-chan after all, with tons of actual pride to boot, so her lines pertaining to giving her everything to Araragi was just so powerful.

Her harsh nature has finally been rounded out with the character development in this episode. She plans to give Araragi everything, even exposing her weakness and lack of confidence as she enumerated all that she can possibly provide, an incredible feat for someone like her.

I fear that trying to analyze the awesomeness of this episode (for me) is simply futile, so I will end it with I love Hitagi-san.

EDIT: I also loved how cute Hitagi-san was with her plan of using her father to force Araragi to call her using her first name. I have come to dislike or get bored of tsunderes as of late, but this was just cold and fantastic.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes!!! @ the ending comment.

Did they choose that ED song because the story ending had that (fantastic, awesome, orgasmic) part? Or did they put it in the anime because of the (fantastic, awesome, orgasmic) ED song? I mean, they even mentioned the Summer Triangle in the show, which is a central theme in the song.

I'd expect the song to follow the anime/light novel, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I also loved how cute Hitagi-san was with her plan of using her father to force Araragi to call her using her first name. I have come to dislike or get bored of tsunderes as of late, but this was just cold and fantastic.

And not returning the gesture was just as lovably evil.

Her dad was a very good device as it covered the mushy stuff about how much Araragi meant to Hitagi without her saying it, leaving her to finish with short&sharp punchlines.

If I had anything to complain about this episode, it's that they didn't animate Dad's jaw movement when it should be seen. Again, it's excusable as he's been portrayed as a very rigid character who probably isn't the best at communicating.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
If I had anything to complain about this episode, it's that they didn't animate Dad's jaw movement when it should be seen. Again, it's excusable as it he's been portrayed as a very rigid character who probably isn't the best at communicating.

I didn't notice that at all. Good catch. I probably attributed the lack of movement to the dad being all mysterious, with the shadows and lack of facial exposure.

If I had to complain about anything, it would be about Hitagi-san's hairstyle at the start of the episode. It wasn't bad per se, but it just didn't suit her much.

Nadouku
Sun, 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
"Father, Araragi is talking to you."

A very Senjougahara-centered episode (I still prefer to call her by that since I'm used to it), although the title of the episode kind of threw me off (Tsubasa Cat, Part Two). Anyway, I like how Senjougahara phrased her "date" line in many different ways and forced Araragi to call her by her first name.

Marik
Sun, 09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
[gg]​ Bakemonogatari​ -​ 12​ [4F8856B0].mkv (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_12_%5B4F8856B0%5D.mkv.torrent)

Yukimura
Mon, 09-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Well that came out of left field for me, I was hoping for more of Tsubasa Cat and Hanekawa. I'll just have to hope the DVD eps finish Hanekawa's story. I've never been much of a fan of Senjogahara as a human being (as opposed to an embodiment of tsundere character traits) but she came close to making me feel for her like an actual person when she mentioned the rape thing again. Still, I suspect I'm in that 99% group Araragi mentioned that would have just left her and her issues alone. I must admit I'm strangely happy for her and Araragi though, he seems like a good match for her.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I think Hanekawa has her own novel (Nekomonogatari or something), so that might come in the future seasons (hopefully). I'm betting Hanekawa and Shinobu will get a lot of screen time then.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Given the popularity, I'm pretty confident there'll be a second season to Bakemonogatari. There's content about Koyomi's own transformation as well as Karen Bee Arc amongst other ready-to-go material.

Kraco
Mon, 09-28-2009, 02:13 AM
It really was a marvelous last episode, finalising the series in a masterful way. After episode 11 I was hoping for some Senjougahara before the end, and then we got this (and I'm not talking to the dad). One of the best last episodes, no doubt. I didn't think that much of the ED when the series launched but I grew to gradually like it a lot, and now it ties together with such a powerful scene as the stargazing was. Exquisite integration.

Those two were really created for each other, right from the start: Senjougahara needed help and Araragi somebody to help. She sucks at relationships (at communications at least, certainly not in general like this ep showed) but he doesn't mind. I also have a feeling there will be the same manner of effect as between Rin and Shirou: Araragi needs someone with enough selfishness to keep him from sacrificing himself.

It was also nice to finally see for good that Araragi loves Senjougahara. You could feel it during the stargazing scene. During the earlier eps I didn't really get that kind of impression, more like Araragi just playing along not wanting to hurt her. I wasn't even sure he could love anybody in the man-woman kind of way.

Pandadice
Mon, 09-28-2009, 02:20 AM
w.. why? why did the episode end there?? it should've kept going! i want more D:.

for the first time in the series i was not disappointed with the lack of focus on oddities. maybe i didn't miss Hanekawa's cat story because i seriously was in no way interested in that, or maybe i didn't miss it because i really do like senjogahara as a character, and she hasn't been in an episode lately..

I'd say they paused the cat story, and went with this one because it's the last broadcasted episode.. so they wanted it to be the closing one, ending with their relationship. 13'll probably pick it back up. but i doubt 15 will be able to top this as an ending :\

yeah, senjogahara is such a great character. man, "i'm going to shatter your norms and standards". ahah, that was awesome!

and then she's like, "all i can give you are these stars". ahh this episode rocked!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-28-2009, 02:28 AM
The official stream date and time for episode 13 is not determined yet. It will be streamed at the website, so I fear for the quality we might be getting for the subbed versions. I hope that it streams soon though, like next weekend.

fireheart
Mon, 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Well most people already said most things about the episode so I'm just going to say that I really do like that piano piece. So if anyone knows the name of it and where to get it, I'd be most thankful.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Well most people already said most things about the episode so I'm just going to say that I really do like that piano piece. So if anyone knows the name of it and where to get it, I'd be most thankful.

That's just OP1 modified. I'd expect it to be called "Staple Stable ~Piano Ver." or something. Currently none of the Bakemonogatari OPs are out yet. Look out for singles and the OST, they'll likely be there.

Edit:

Original Soundtrack Vol.1 consisting of the BGM used throughout the show composed by Satoru Kousaki will be released with the Limited Edition of Tsubasa Cat Part A[Episodes 11-13, DVD Vol.5] on 27 Jan. 2010.

Meanwhile, you can entertain yourself with this if you have a keyboard:

Board of Command
Mon, 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
One of the best series ever. Shaft has done it again.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 09-28-2009, 08:43 PM
let me get this straight...
there are three more episodes planned to be webcast?
and then a DVD release? or something else.

beautiful episode.
loved it, so much.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes, 3 more episodes to be webcast. I am checking the official website everyday for the schedule of the next episode release. I will post it here as soon as I find out.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Which subs are better to archive? DD or gg?

I just downloaded gg so I had an excuse to rewatch that episode, and there were quite a few differences.

gg good points: subbed frames/songs. Kanbaru = Junior.
bad points: Cropped video means subs overlap with picture. Calm/Phrasing?

DD good points: Sentences are phrased better, Subs don't block picture most of the time
bad points: Spelling mistakes, Kanbaru = Senior, ambiguous phrasing as to what Hitagi is "doing something" about (answer = her fear of sex). panels & songs aren't translated.

Perhaps the biggest difference is Araragi's comment after Hitagi still ends up phrasing her requests in a demanding manner.

DD: In the end, that's how you phrase it.
gg: In the end, you're still so calm.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-29-2009, 01:40 AM
DD is the correct version of that line, I think. I have to rewatch to be certain. The fear of sex part is supposed to ambiguous, at least it seems that way in Japanese.

Pandadice
Tue, 09-29-2009, 08:22 AM
DD is the correct version of that line, I think. I have to rewatch to be certain. The fear of sex part is supposed to ambiguous, at least it seems that way in Japanese.

well that'd make sense. it's always like that when they talk about it in anime.

it's always "this and that" type of wording.. at least, the subs always say that stuff.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I've reached the decision to check out AniKat and Koharubi when they're done. This episode (and series) is definitely too good for subs to ruin it.

(edit: AniKat can't QC their site)

No offense to our speedsub groups. We can't ask for everything.

fireheart
Tue, 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
That's just OP1 modified. I'd expect it to be called "Staple Stable ~Piano Ver." or something. Currently none of the Bakemonogatari OPs are out yet. Look out for singles and the OST, they'll likely be there.

Completely didn't notice, though guess I should actually watch the OP more than once

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Like in most anime, the piano versions of the OPs or EDs are usually fantastic, and that especially applies to Staple Stable because the light original version is a little boring.

Marik
Wed, 09-30-2009, 11:09 AM
[LonE]​ Saitou​ Chiwa​ -​ Bakemonogatari​ OP​ Single​ -​ staple​ stable​ (mp3).rar (http://losslessone.fansub-torrents.com/%5BLonE%5D_Saitou_Chiwa_-_Bakemonogatari_OP_Single_-_staple_stable_%5Bw_scans%5D_%28mp3%29.rar.torrent )

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-30-2009, 11:27 PM
[LonE]​ Saitou​ Chiwa​ -​ Bakemonogatari​ OP​ Single​ -​ staple​ stable​ (mp3).rar (http://losslessone.fansub-torrents.com/%5BLonE%5D_Saitou_Chiwa_-_Bakemonogatari_OP_Single_-_staple_stable_%5Bw_scans%5D_%28mp3%29.rar.torrent )

Sadly, there was no Piano version there. Instead, we got a 41min interview :confused:

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for a sound drama/episode when I saw the Hitagi Atogatari file. Imagine my disappointment.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Bakemonogatari Episode 13 on October 28th (http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/10/05/bakemonogatari-episode-13-on-october-28th/)

Archangel
Mon, 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Well... that was bloody fuckingtastic

So i just randomly found the synopsis of this while making my anime list and it sounded interesting so i went on irc and said:

" Anyone ever heard of this anime called Bakemonogatari? "

After much laughter and spiteful e-looks i was told it was the best show last season

And well, long story short, i've never been happier by skipping on account of a cold and when i leave this mortal coil i want my gravestone to spell " Bakemonogatari is biblically awesome "

Where the hell is my 13th episode?

( Just a small insignificant rant, i wish we had gotten the oppurtunity to see Koyomi at full power)

Pandadice
Mon, 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
2 more days? :D

Penner
Mon, 10-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I have only watched the first ep of this when it aired (and loved it), and now im waiting for the show to finish, then i'll have a marathon and watch it all in one go. It will be awesome.

Archangel
Mon, 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Then hold on a little more and get sick bluray definition from Thora when it comes out

Penner
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Sweet, totally going to wait for that then ^^

Archangel
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Just a little FYI, Thora is releasing exclusively in 1080p.

That together with their "no pixels left behind" policy leaves you with a generous 1,20+ Gb per episode

Marik
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Bakemonogatari​ Ep1-2​ [1080p,BluRay,x264]​ -​ qIIq-THORA (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91395)

2.53gb

Kraco
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Damn. I was looking forward to the blu-ray rips but looks like I won't anymore. Even if my computer could play 1080p (which it can't), I wouldn't have a 50" screen to justify 1080p nor a blu-ray burner to archive those monster files.

It's sad to be so much behind the times.

Archangel
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
This group might serve as an alternative to you then

http://coalgirls.triforcealliance.com/

Can't vouch for the quality of the TL though

David75
Mon, 10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Damn. I was looking forward to the blu-ray rips but looks like I won't anymore. Even if my computer could play 1080p (which it can't), I wouldn't have a 50" screen to justify 1080p nor a blu-ray burner to archive those monster files.

It's sad to be so much behind the times.

Well if you've got no screen/projector to benefit the resolution, true it would be a waste.
but with a good network media tank and a good screen/projector-amp-speakers... that really does it.

5 cm per second, the 1080 version was a pure dream with my home theater setup.

And those equipments see their prices freefalling, don't they? At least I guess a good plasma screen+nmt should be in the 1000-1500€ range, even less if you do not care about frame creation (to get rid of judder). In the latter case, you could go for something like 800-1000€ for a 42" and say a C200 from popcorn hour (maybe a tad overkill)
This is some money, but not that impossible. Then you need room for a 42"...

Regarding storage, Terabytes are cheaper and cheaper... so it's not really a problem anymore if you have good bandwidth.

So I'll patiently wait for the releases to come into a batch...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
After much laughter and spiteful e-looks i was told it was the best show last season

I see you didn't check your own "Last Season's Top 3" thread. The only people who didn't vote Bakemonogatari were those who didn't try it.

Archangel
Mon, 10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Indeed, i should have payed more attention to my own thread

Archangel
Tue, 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Bakemonogatari's 1st Unaired Episode Delayed 5 Days (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-27/bakemonogatari-1st-unaired-episode-delayed-1-week)

-_-"

Pandadice
Tue, 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
ahhh!! why? this is ridiculous! .. i suppose it was inevitable :\

wait a second..

but the official website confirmed on September 25 that Parts 3 through 5 will be distributed online

so all three of these episodes are gonna be about the Tsubasa Cat?

oyabun
Tue, 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Delayed?? aw. I was hoping to watch it before the holidays.. Too bad.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
ahhh!! why? this is ridiculous! .. i suppose it was inevitable :\

wait a second..

so all three of these episodes are gonna be about the Tsubasa Cat?

Yeah, they're part of the Tsubasa Cat arc.

Then again, the last episode was also part of Tsubasa Cat.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM
While the last episode was mainly about Hitagi-san, it still had valuable information about Tsubasa. Hitagi-san, who is considered quite smart in the show and practically consists of 90% pride (albeit mostly a facade), actually admits that Tsubasa is on a completely different level in terms of intellect.

This makes me like Tsubasa a bit more as a character, since not only is she academically smart, but also has incredible insight. These qualities can be seen on how much trivia she knows, and how she manages to teach Araragi quite a number of lessons throughout the show.

It is very rare in anime to see an actual intelligent person. Most of the time, they are praised as having good grades yet have little to no mental maturity (Kotomi, and tons of others), or they act dumb all the time then suddenly give insightful comments (Sunohara, and a lot of comic relief side characters).

Has anyone seen the commentary videos? They are freaking hilarious, with Hitagi-san and Tsubasa chatting it up, usually at Araragi's expense.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
While the last episode was mainly about Hitagi-san, it still had valuable information about Tsubasa. Hitagi-san, who is considered quite smart in the show and practically consists of 90% pride, actually admits that Tsubasa is on a completely different level.

This makes me like Tsubasa a bit more as a character, since not only is she academically smart, but also has incredible insight. These qualities can be seen on how much trivia she knows, and how she manages to teach Araragi quite a number of lessons throughout the show.

For me, that scene portrayed just how much stress Tsubasa would be under normally. Hitagi mentions that she's (Hitagi) is smart, like an "excellent smart". Tsubasa, on the other hand, is your "perfect score smart". When you're sitting right at the top of the ladder, there's a lot of pressure and expectation for you to stay there, be it from yourself, your teachers, peers or parents. Did Hitagi mention that Tsubasa studies every day? If she did, then for people like her, sitting at the top of the academic ladder also becomes your sole defining feature (or one of the few anyway).

Has anyone seen the commentary videos? They are freaking hilarious, with Hitagi-san and Tsubasa chatting it up, usually at Araragi's expense.

Are they subbed?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I have been watching the raws, but I have seen this torrent done by Coalgirls that seems to have the commentary. If you can, please check it out just to be sure. I am at work so I can't do it myself.

Bakemonogatari Disk 01 Extras (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91778)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-28-2009, 06:13 AM
I have been watching the raws, but I have seen this torrent done by Coalgirls that seems to have the commentary. If you can, please check it out just to be sure. I am at work so I can't do it myself.

Bakemonogatari Disk 01 Extras (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91778)

Unfortunately the commentary is sound-only, with no translations.. :(

Marik
Sun, 11-01-2009, 05:05 AM
[LonE]​ Katou​ Emiri​ -​ Bakemonogatari​ OP2​ Single​ -​ Kaerimichi​ (mp3).rar (http://losslessone.fansub-torrents.com/%5BLonE%5D_Katou_Emiri_-_Bakemonogatari_OP2_Single_-_Kaerimichi_%5Bw_scans%5D_%28mp3%29.rar.torrent)

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
i actually just watched the first episode of this show. and all i have to say is:

WHERE THE FUCK WAS I LAST SEASON WHEN THIS SHOW WAS AIRING????

Archangel
Sun, 11-01-2009, 08:53 AM
i actually just watched the first episode of this show. and all i have to say is:

Tell me about it

Just hurry up and finish it so you can join us with the last three eps

Pandadice
Sun, 11-01-2009, 09:21 AM

lol, thats how I always am when I'm watching something i like from the previous season that I didn't initially pick up xD

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
episode 2, episode 3. cant stop. wont stop. name on the bank.

this show is crazy. it is a more dramatic, candy corn flavored Zetsubou YYH moe re-animation, but it is enjoyable to a gross extent. i am starting to get more than a little annoyed at the amount of unreadable flashes they are doing in shows like this and Zbou, because it really fucks the entire pacing of the episode when you miss something totally badass and cool like this show tends to have. and i can never, ever, not once, imagine that shows such as these are geared to meet any kind of serious live rating quota, because they know they are going to make all their money on the dvd sales.

edit

[00:42] <masamune> one thing about bakemonogatari
[00:42] <masamune> these inserted manga dialogue cuts
[00:43] <masamune> are written as if by the hand of an insane japanese man
[00:43] <masamune> insane
[00:43] <masamune> they make no modern grammatical japanese sense at all
[00:43] <masamune> which is perhaps what is exactly what makes them strikng
[00:44] <masamune> for they are insanely repugnant in their grotesque use of difficult japanese kanji
[00:44] <masamune> all the while insisting on absurd katakana usages for traditionally hiragana spelled grammar elements
[00:44] <masamune> it makes no sense. no sense
[00:44] <Nutahame> oh well
[00:45] <masamune> but it is still striking
[00:45] <masamune> because even i can read it
[00:45] <Nutahame> it did no sense to me as well but out of a another reason
[00:45] <Morghus> lol
[00:45] <Nutahame> because most of it got never translated by the groups
[00:45] <Morghus> Fantastic group
[00:45] <Morghus> xD
[00:45] <Morghus> So much stupidity in one place
[00:45] <Morghus> (the facebook link)
[00:46] <Nutahame> but just by the solo appearance of flashing words you try to catch with your eye it was an interesting element of the anime
[00:46] <masamune> there is no translation for this
[00:46] <masamune> it has no equal in english
[00:46] <masamune> maybe
[00:46] <Nutahame> probably
[00:46] <Nutahame> oh
[00:46] <masamune> if in forty years from now they still use brb and lol
[00:46] <Nutahame> or well most likely
[00:47] <masamune> instead of "i have to go away from the computer for a minute" and "i think that's funny"
[00:47] <Nutahame> well there was once a flash of a lot of kanji for red
[00:47] <masamune> then they could have this kind of joke for the english
[00:47] <masamune> lol
[00:47] <masamune> and you know what many of those frames read?
[00:47] <Nutahame> nope
[00:47] <masamune> they read "black frame" "red frame"
[00:47] <masamune> as in
[00:47] <Nutahame> thats the funny or disturbing thing
[00:47] <Morghus> In 10 years we'll have "lol brb gtfohfbi" still
[00:47] <Morghus> :p
[00:47] <masamune> insert a red frame here
[00:48] <masamune> it is a strinklingly ingenious way of being lazy
[00:48] <masamune> because they cut out what would necessitate graphic animation/writing
[00:48] <masamune> with a clever literary device
[00:48] <masamune> and in the case of the anime, a clever cinematographical device
[00:49] <masamune> but the effect is stunning
[00:49] <Urashima|bot> [New Release] [Anime] [KyouNoSolstice] The Sacred Blacksmith - 04 [704x400 XviD MP3][6D0D38F2].avi | Size: 175.64MB | Torrent: http://tinyurl.com/yj37j9a | Anidb: http://anidb.net/a6546 |
[00:49] <masamune> particularly if they have any kind of translation for the flashes
[00:49] <masamune> hey wait
[00:49] <masamune> wait morghus
[00:49] <masamune> are you saying that they dont always translate the flashes in bakemonogatari?
[00:49] <masamune> i am watching the koharubi fansubs
[00:50] <masamune> but are you speaking about, perhaps, gg ?
[00:50] <!Yukimura-San> gg did indeed translate them from what i remember
[00:51] <masamune> because this one note in episode 4 is very telling
[00:51] <masamune> about the fact that although the male protag was restored to his state as 'human'
[00:51] <masamune> if he happened to drink blood
[00:52] <masamune> he would have better eyesight
[00:52] <masamune> and other things
[00:52] <masamune> and holy mother of god
[00:52] <Nutahame> first notice: I said it and not Morghus
[00:53] <masamune> i look at the text that they translated and i want to vomit
[00:53] <masamune> because it doesnt seem to make any sense to me
[00:53] <Nutahame> second notice: as much as I remember the subs I watched didn't translate everything
[00:53] <masamune> the abundance of improper katakan usages is disgusting
[00:54] <masamune> do they reference the fact that the male lead can have immortal abilities beyond episode 4?
[00:54] <nutmeglover> hey im having a chat with my friend since we're supposed to backpack around europe in 2012
[00:54] <nutmeglover> but it looks like im going to japan :)
[00:54] <nutmeglover> japan 2012, europe 2013!
[00:55] <masamune> go for it
[00:55] <!Yukimura-San> yes masa
[00:55] <!Yukimura-San> sort of
[00:55] <!Yukimura-San> in the arc after the one you're watching it comes up
[00:55] <masamune> yuki. cuz it is in these notes the koharubi group translates
[00:55] <masamune> and one of my rules about annoying flash using animes is
[00:55] <masamune> i will watch it once fluidly
[00:56] <masamune> and then stop and re-watch it to catch all the small inclusions
[00:56] <masamune> but no anime
[00:56] <masamune> has full out put this kind of mother fucking earth moving revelations soully in their illegible quick flashes
[00:56] <!Yukimura-San> welcome to BMG
[00:56] <masamune> what?
[00:57] <masamune> oh i see what you did there
[00:57] <!Yukimura-San> that's shorthand for it
[00:57] <masamune> it should be just called Monster Stories
[00:57] <masamune> much faster and accesible
[00:57] <masamune> and still fitting
[00:58] <!Yukimura-San> but that probably wouldn't be as 'cool'
[00:58] <masamune> no
[00:58] <masamune> it would be cooler in japan
[00:58] <masamune> but less so with the narutards
[00:58] <masamune> hence the fact that almost nobody ever saw, much less comments on, the epic anime/manga that was "MONSTER"
[00:59] <!Yukimura-San> hey it's on Sci-Fi now
[00:59] <!Yukimura-San> so i'm finally watching it
[00:59] <!Yukimura-San> oh exceue me... SyFy
[01:00] <masamune> what is?
[01:00] <!Yukimura-San> Monster
[01:00] <masamune> i do love the usage of katakan in improper visual places
[01:00] <masamune> like the TOMARE
[01:00] <masamune> on the streets
[01:00] <masamune> that serves as a really nice visual kafuck
[01:00] <masamune> in... english
[01:00] <masamune> i can only think of that show in english
[01:00] <masamune> especially Runge
[01:01] <Nutahame> oh Monster
[01:01] <Nutahame> I started watching it but ended in some place
[01:01] <Nutahame> dunno where
[01:01] <Nutahame> is it about that Nazis and kids and stuff?
[01:01] <Nutahame> or was that another show oO
[01:01] <masamune> and a brain surgeon
[01:01] <Nutahame> ah
[01:01] <Nutahame> ok
[01:01] <masamune> it's like a more modern day frankenstein
[01:01] <Nutahame> yeah then I watched it
[01:01] <masamune> with mafia instead of scienc
[01:02] <Nutahame> yeah exactly dunno where I stopped watchin
[01:02] <Nutahame> but I liked it though...
[01:02] <Nutahame> probably stopped watching cuz of time lack
[01:02] <masamune> i do love this bakemonogatari show though
[01:02] <masamune> i think i might evn have to buy it
[01:02] <Nutahame> yup it's fun
[01:02] <masamune> there is just a lot to it
[01:02] <Nutahame> but I didn't finish it yet
[01:02] <masamune> like, ever couple frames
[01:03] <masamune> like
[01:03] <masamune> that girl has no shadow
[01:04] <masamune> for the whole ten second slow conversation scene behind it
[01:04] <masamune> she is sticking close to Araragi and so it, understandably, looks like one slightly big shadow sticing out in the pre twilight light
[01:05] <masamune> but then they argue, and in about a fifth of a second of viewing time, they pause it and show her without a shadow at all while she seperates from him
[01:05] <Nutahame> ok my lecture is staring in half n hour so I go out drink a coffee, smoke and chill until that
[01:05] <Nutahame> see ya
[01:05] * Nutahame (zielkevr@3065b4fc.29655c0f.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de) Quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
[01:06] <masamune> there it is again, 40 seconds later
[01:08] * IcyLady (~IcyLady@3231975e.12b24a3f.nat.marshall.edu) has joined #tradersnetwork
[01:11] <masamune> kahaha
[01:11] <masamune> the signage on that crosswalk signal is too funny
[01:12] <masamune> yet again she does have her shadow for a few scenes
[01:12] <masamune> but they cross in to the freaky part of town and she has to stick close to him again while they do the stupid word play joke
[01:12] <masamune> and she loses her shadow again
[01:14] <!Yukimura-San> what is the point of a fluctuating shadow
[01:15] <!Yukimura-San> wait which girl are you talking about?
[01:43] <masamune> she doesnt have a shadow and senjougahara cant see her????
[01:43] <masamune> dahgaighaingag
[01:43] <masamune> yuki, i was talking about hachikuji-chan, aka loli girl episodes 3-5
[01:43] <masamune> or more
[01:44] <!Yukimura-San> ah
[01:45] <!Yukimura-San> hrm I didn't notice she didn't have a shadow
[01:45] <!Yukimura-San> then again I wasn't looking very hard
[01:46] <masamune> cahgghds
[01:46] <masamune> and now
[01:46] <!Yukimura-San> obfuscation like that arc tends to just irrittate me
[01:46] <masamune> theyhave these long flashes of multi colored text in episode 05
[01:46] <masamune> and i can read some, but not all
[01:46] <masamune> and alot arent being translated
[01:46] <masamune> ca fuck
[01:46] <!Yukimura-San> :(
[01:47] <masamune> this is how japan will defeat the fansubbers
[01:47] <masamune> massive cult followings swallowing oppresively priced dvd sales
[01:47] <!Yukimura-San> get the gg svid reencodes!
[01:47] <!Yukimura-San> fansubbing will prevail
[01:47] <masamune> these are koharubi releases i am watching
[01:47] <masamune> and it is okay for these episodes
[01:47] <masamune> i will switch to the gg releases later
[01:47] <masamune> as i have to
[01:48] <masamune> kaharubi has not released any of the later episodes
[01:48] <!Yukimura-San> do they at least sub those little monologes at the beggining of the eps?
[01:48] <!Yukimura-San> that are all text
[01:48] <masamune> they do that and more
[01:48] <!Yukimura-San> oh well good
[01:48] * IcyLady (~IcyLady@3231975e.12b24a3f.nat.marshall.edu) Quit (Quit: IcyLady)
[01:48] <masamune> they even do the "red frame" "black frame"
[01:48] <!Yukimura-San> lol
[01:48] <masamune> did gg do those?
[01:48] <!Yukimura-San> i think so
[01:48] <masamune> some are insanely short
[01:49] <!Yukimura-San> though i only remember seeing 'red frame' but not actual text
[01:49] <masamune> like the ones that read simply the authors name
[01:49] <!Yukimura-San> so maybe they didn't
[01:49] <masamune> well
[01:49] <masamune> there have been many moments in the kobarubi subs
[01:49] <masamune> where text has appeared on screen solely in english
[01:49] <masamune> and i cannot belive that it would ever be initially presented as such
[01:49] <masamune> but other times, yeah, its just left in japanese

ediot

if i had a babe write now i would name it bakemonogatari.f o r real

Marik
Tue, 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
[HorribleRemux] Bakemonogatari - 13 (640x360).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=96687)

Hotfile (http://hotfile.com/dl/16541508/048c6ed/HorribleRemux_Bakemonogatari_-_13_%28640x360%29.mkv.html)

Pandadice
Tue, 11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
i suppose you do actually have to be able to understand and read japanese in order to really appreciate Bakemonogatari :\. I'm not able to understand the spoken language much less read it, so maybe that's why I didn't find it ingenious :\

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Is that an English sub?

Cool, it is.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
i suppose you do actually have to be able to understand and read japanese in order to really appreciate Bakemonogatari :\. I'm not able to understand the spoken language much less read it, so maybe that's why I didn't find it ingenious :\

Not really, but I do think it boosts the experience quite a bit. Some of the jokes are either wordplay or Japanese culture oriented, so people may not understand them without background knowledge. A lot of people who don't know a word of Japanese still like it though.

EDIT: since that is an English subbed file, I am now free to comment.

I didn't really enjoy the episode as much as I did the rest, but that is mainly because it is coming off from episode 12 (the best episode IMO). Tsubasa with the hat is really cute, but I have always had a thing for that kind of hat.

Tsubasa supposedly saved Araragi's life. I am definitely curious as to what happened, since it is usually the other way around for Araragi (excluding Oshino). Also, did Shinobu escape and go to Master Donut alone? Is that why Oshino is unexpectedly busy? Lots of mysteries that involve Araragi and Shinobu this time. I can't wait for episode 14.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

I find that you can generally pick up the puns if you're not 100% ignoring the audio and solely reading the subtitles, like the "God is with us" stutter in this episode.

The only other place where I found reading Japanese helps is when those words imprinted on the bridge came on-screen. Those didn't have a whole lot of impact though. The first run was listing the oddities (Vampire -> Weight crab -> Snail -> Monkey's paw etc), and the second flashing had the names of the characters in order of appearance (Senjougahara, Mayoi, Kanbaru, Sengoku, Hanekawa)

---------

Horrible-subs, I have to say, but still enjoyed the episode a lot. Particularly at the beginning, I found I had just as big a grin on my face as Araragi did when he savored the memories of his last date.

The soundtracks were just as good as what I remembered from the series overall. That electric guitar theme was perfect for highlighting the sudden wildness that was the "sex kitten".

I can't wait for episode 14

I can't agree more.

Marik
Tue, 11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
The best part for me was seeing Mayoi-chan again. I really missed her and was happy to see that she was included in this episode. The return of "Sorry, I stuttered" brought a smile to my face. The expression that Araragi had on his face before he attacked her was priceless. The interaction between those two is always enjoyable.

Hanekawa in sex-kitten mode = incredibly hot. I also liked how they had her dressed like Nadeko as well.

Episode 14 can't come soon enough.

Edit: @Buff: I wouldn't post a raw.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Edit: @Buff: I wouldn't post a raw.

Yeah, didn't mean to doubt you. :o

I saw the file on Nyaatorrents last night being listed as pink (ie eng-subbed), but I wasn't aware that either the webcast had English subs, or Horrible actually does their own subtitling instead of just ripping/remuxing.

Marik
Tue, 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I wasn't aware that either the webcast had English subs, or Horrible actually does their own subtitling instead of just ripping/remuxing.
Ah, I see.

The webcast didn't have subs. The subs were done by "pem" and then were muxed with the raw that HorribleSubs had ripped from the 2MB stream.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Marik's avatar prompted me to rewatch Hitagi's scene....and they changed her hair colour..

PS: The seiyu trap was nicely laid.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 12:29 AM
The hair colour was probably just due to (shafted) lighting.

Nadouku
Wed, 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Hohoho, Araragi really made himself look like a pedophile when he started groping Mayoi and saying weird things. It's good to see her again, though, and need more Tsubasa Cat!

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2009, 03:36 AM
He really did grope her. His hands were all over those non-existent breasts. He could have been charged and convicted, if only the victim was not a ghost.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-04-2009, 05:31 AM
gg - Episode 13 (http://t.bt.is-ingenio.us/t/%5Bgg%5D_Bakemonogatari_-_13_%5BF5C47F6C%5D.mkv.torrent)

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Being a webcast, how's the raw looking?

Kraco
Wed, 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
It's better than I expected. At least the one gg used. Sure the resolution is very low but the quality of the small picture isn't shit like you oft see with webrips.

Quite a funny episode. I liked it. I also liked how Araragi is now in full love mode with Senjougahara. Even if it's hard to see any changes in Senjougahara herself. Suitably Araragi's ahoge is gaining new modes as well.

Normally talking about voice actors and such in an anime would affect me negatively as it would deviate from the feeling of realism of the anime world but it worked well in this episode and series as it's so strongly based on witty conversations anyway.

Mayoi molestation scene surprised me. I thought Araragi would surely attack but I didn't expect it to be that manner of an attack. There's no denying he was checking her chest.

Interesting stuff in any case. Oshino seemed quite different in this episode. Normally he has been giving me an impression of a lazy guy but now he was quite aggressive and I don't mean knocking out Tsubasa.

Board of Command
Wed, 11-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Wow, gg's subs are total shit. They clearly didn't edit or QC this at all.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow, gg's subs are total shit. They clearly didn't edit or QC this at all.

http://www.ggkthx.org/2009/10/25/qc-has-been-dissolved-as-a-position/#more-964

Archangel
Wed, 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
They were serious?? I thought that they were just being trolling douches as usual...

Board of Command
Wed, 11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Only issue this time was that instead of 3 mistakes in the script, there were about 30.