PDA

View Full Version : animeREVO

KrayZ33
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
I just wondered if anyone else knows about this site and get his animes from there

uhm, it's not like I want to advertise for that site or something, it's just that I came across this page recently. It provides great DDL-links to fansubs and the speed is very good too.

I always believed that most people prefer DDL, but the downloads from that site seem to be pretty low (guessed from the download-counter). The reason for this might be that most fansub provide DDL-sources themselve however since I couldn't find one from Eclipse I got ep6 from there for example.

It also has lots of mangas avaible.

Kraco
Mon, 05-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Fansubbers sometimes have their own DDLs, but more often they serve that function in irc and lots of people use irc to get their files. Some prefer torrents, naturally. I only avoid torrents, when possible, because my ISP hates torrenting and using them at reasonable speeds causes problems for me. Personally I tremendously enjoy the fact the DDL site I abus... use is not choked most of the time.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I highly recommend http://www.fansub.tv/ to anyone looking for DDL sites.

You'll only get <200KB/s from them, but hey, downloading like 10 episodes simultaneously gets me 1.2MB/s easily. It served me well during my no-torrent/irc days.

What's the catch? Unlicensed shows only.

(hence why you also use http://www.cyber12.com/ and gendou's anime-counterpart)

Archangel
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
My personal favorite:

http://www.lolipower.org/

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:34 PM
lolipower doesn't get updated fast enough IMO.

Archangel
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
But the speed is incredible

I get up to 1 mega/second in a good day

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
But the speed is incredible

I get up to 1 mega/second in a good day

That indeed is good. Very good for older series in particular, if they still have it on file.

Archangel
Mon, 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Too bad the most famous ones like naruto and such arent available

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Fansubbers sometimes have their own DDLs, but more often they serve that function in irc and lots of people use irc to get their files. Some prefer torrents, naturally. I only avoid torrents, when possible, because my ISP hates torrenting and using them at reasonable speeds causes problems for me. Personally I tremendously enjoy the fact the DDL site I abus... use is not choked most of the time.

Hmm, about IRC downloading, does mIRC let you schedule your downloading? Like, save a scripted xdcc command and send it say, at 12AM? We've got peak/offpeak internet quotas here, so that's why I prefer torrents. Auto-resume when the connection breaks is also a plus.

Kraco
Tue, 05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
mIRC has pretty extensive scripting engine, so possibly. Too bad I've never used the scripting for anything, so I can't really answer your question. You'd need to get Yuki, TT, or someone else with appropriate skills to visit this thread.

KrayZ33
Mon, 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
By the way, do fansubbing groups or sites like Nipponsei use their own rented-servers for sending files via IRC?

or do they use Stro's and upload their files there and "leech" from their traffic?

I always heard that this is the case with people uploading warez like movies/music for XDCC on IRC and hence gave up on this pretty quick (didn't really sound good ^_^)

would you recommend downloading fansubs via IRC?

oh and animeREVO is no more (seems like they couldn't sustain the costs)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
By the way, do fansubbing groups or sites like Nipponsei use their own rented-servers for sending files via IRC?

Most established groups, and many lesser groups release via IRC as well as bittorrent. Just like how they have dedicated seeds to distribute files when new releases come out, their distro section also includes leech bots for you to simply xdcc request them.

Whether it's a rented server or not really isn't the issue. It's more about how much bandwidth they can offer, and the number of bots there vs downloaders. Lots of groups just ask for volunteers who have a heap of upload bandwidth to spare.

would you recommend downloading fansubs via IRC?

I'll definitely recommend IRC for older releases with crappy seeds. Depending on the series, I've found IRC bots to host files long after their bittorrent counterpart has died. Speeds are also fairly good. Again, this depends on whoever's hosting it.

At the same time, you'll have to wait in line for new episodes though, since there are only so many bots, and a heap of requests. Unlike torrents, downloaders can't help support the load unless they choose to voluntarily stay on the channel and serve that file as well.

In short: I recommend torrents for newer releases, IRC for older ones.

You'll find that some groups have been doing "IRC only" releases to encourage people to their channel and actually talk, rather than leech.

IRC is less bandwidth intensive too, with lower overhead data than torrents in general. It would be a good alternative if your (or your flatmate's) connection goes to shit when using torrents.

KrayZ33
Tue, 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Whether it's a rented server or not really isn't the issue. It's more about how much bandwidth they can offer, and the number of bots there vs downloaders. Lots of groups just ask for volunteers who have a heap of upload bandwidth to spare.

well it's an issue if they use hacked servers to distribute their files, and thats what I was trying to ask ^^

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Then no, I've never heard of them using hacked servers.

KrayZ33
Tue, 06-16-2009, 07:24 AM
hmm thats good, because this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez#Automated_warez_distribution_via_IRC_robots
always kept me from downloading via IRC

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM
the opportunity to find and compromise poorly secured systems on which to create an illicit warez distribution site has only increased, with the popular use of broadband service by home users who may not fully understand the security implications of having their home computer always turned on and connected to the Internet.

lol. So it's still popular belief that staying connected to the internet requires understanding of security implications makes you more vulnerable.

In a sense, it's true, but it's really a trivial point.

Just like WEP>nonencrypted.

Kraco
Tue, 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM
hmm thats good, because this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez#Automated_warez_distribution_via_IRC_robots
always kept me from downloading via IRC

I don't think even most anime DVD/Bluray ripper groups consider themselves primarily HC pirates distributing warez, not to mention the more numerous groups fansubbing raws. Who knows how naive I'm, but I somehow doubt they use as ruthless methods as the gamez and appz distributors. Although I don't know how carefully the groups screen the candidates when somebody appears offering them a nice file server bot.