PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for: Student Finding a Place on Campus

lilphatboi88
Thu, 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm just wondering since most of you have been in college. I'm going to be a senior at the UW. I found a place that's about 600/mo with no utilities included. Also there's a shared kitchen. That's my main concern.

Anyone have any experiences with a shared kitchen?

If I were to find a studio with a kitchen, it'd probably be $700+.

So please give me some advice.

Kraco
Thu, 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Damn, it's an expensive city you are living in. $600/month and not even a kitchen for that price.

Well, I haven't ever lived anywhere with a shared kitchen (for significant periods of time). Based on what I've heard from buddies, it's nothing but a gamble: The other people sharing it could be neat or they could be pigs. Unfortunately in these times of deculture and decadency, the latter category is quite strong.

Animeniax
Thu, 05-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Depends, do you cook? You'll probably be eating out most of the time anyway, or just boiling water for ramen and mac&cheese.

$600/mo without utilities, but on campus? Pretty good deal, though that depends on housing costs in W(isconsin?).

lilphatboi88
Thu, 05-14-2009, 01:54 PM
yeah Seattle's pretty expensive. W(ashington). I think there are about 30 studios a floor with 5 floors. So the shared kitchen is with 29 other complete strangers.

Animeniax
Thu, 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
You could get a small fridge, hot plate, microwave, and rice cooker for your studio and not have to mess with the kitchen. Still a pretty good deal for being on campus.

Kraco
Thu, 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Haha. If you had to share it with 29 other people, I'd suggest you do what Ani said instead. You don't want to share a kitchen with that many strangers.

Assassin
Thu, 05-14-2009, 02:36 PM
i dont know what the norm is in washington, but for the past few years when i was living off campus i usually paid between 300-400/mo, utilities included (thats in canada, btw). Now, i dunno if you living on res, or just outside campus in student housing (which is what i did), cuz residence is considerably more expensive here too.

Sharing with 29 people though, that's a bitch. It could be done if you're not a fan of eating and dont mind constant sounds and smells, but just make sure you're not sharing the bathroom with those 29 people.

However if money's not an issue, i'd go with the studio apt.

lilphatboi88
Thu, 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
However if money's not an issue, i'd go with the studio apt.

The one that we've been talking about?

This studio apt I've been talking about comes with a mini fridge and microwave, along with a private bathroom. However, if I get one of these hot plates, I've never used one before, won't it run up the electricity bill?

And with that said, I could get one of those hotpots. My house has one of these and it is fueled through disposable propane cans. However, will cooking in the room taint the air, make everything smell?

Kraco
Thu, 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
However, if I get one of these hot plates, I've never used one before, won't it run up the electricity bill?

You aren't running it that many hours per day. Moreover, many stuff you can cook a little bit more, like two or three portions, and microwave it the following days. Quite a few foods are no worse the next day, some are even better.

However, will cooking in the room taint the air, make everything smell?

No, it doesn't. Unless you cook something really strange and make a habit of cooking for all of those 29 strangers as well (that is, open a restaurant in your apartment). Just open a window to change the air during and afterwards.

Konohamaru!
Thu, 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
<--- wants to know what a shared kitchen for 29 people looks like... I'd assume though at least for cleaning they've probably got a company that comes in for a place that serves that many people... if not... hrmmm is all I can say.

Animeniax
Thu, 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
University co-ops usually have shared kitchens. It works out well if most of the people contribute and get along. Co-ops however typically require residents to rotate doing kitchen chores and cooking for everyone, which only works if at least a few people know how to cook.

I'd guess the studio apartments would have less cohesion unless someone with civic pride and responsibility (former glee club members) organized something and got all the residents on board.

A hot plate doesn't use that much electricity, and you wouldn't use it much except except for cooking ramen anyway. I'd add a hot water pot to the list of necessary kitchen items for your studio.

Cal_kashi
Fri, 05-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm just wondering since most of you have been in college. I'm going to be a senior at the UW. I found a place that's about 600/mo with no utilities included. Also there's a shared kitchen. That's my main concern.

Anyone have any experiences with a shared kitchen?

If I were to find a studio with a kitchen, it'd probably be $700+.

So please give me some advice.

My god, rent is cheap.
lucky SOB, I'm paying 1650 right now half of a little duplex.

I've only shared kitchen with roomates, (2 at most) and it was never an issue.
My suggestion would be to keep all your silverware/dishes/cook kit etc to your self, and make sure you wash your dishes after yo use em so you only need a few. Assuming you don't have problems with thievery in a common fridge I'd bet you'll be ok. If theft becomes an issue, fight back creatively.

I say, if you like the place go for it! Whatever happens will just be part of your individual special college experience. Best case you learn how to cook a lot of new dishes, and get to know your neighbors well. Worst case you learn a lot about conflict resolution, a real world skill that will benefit you greatly when you leave the magical world that is college....
I can't wait till I can go back.

lilphatboi88
Fri, 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
You must be living in a state of the art duplex, meaning it was newly renovated, along with all the new contemporary kitchen utilities. Anyways, I'm appreciating the input, I'll be trying to convince my mom that I can use a hot plate or pot to substitute the kitchen. You see, a big part of my life is justifying my decisions to my parents.

Animeniax
Fri, 05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Well living in California is a big part of cal_kashi's high rent.

My plan is to buy a house near campus (no better time to invest in real estate right?), then rent out some of the rooms to college students. I'll probably stick to graduate students as tenants, but they will effectively pay my mortgage.

Maybe you can find one of these situations at your location lilphatboi?

lilphatboi88
Fri, 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that seems good except I don't really enjoy living with other people. Also, there's no way I can afford to invest in real estate. I ain't got no dough.

Animeniax
Fri, 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM
That's what your parents and bank loans are for: investments.

I don't really enjoy living with other people either, but it's the only way to learn how to deal with them and become a more sociable person.

lilphatboi88
Sat, 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
lol I've done that for 3 years now. It's true I believe my social skills have improved, but my grades have suffered as a result. Freshman year I lived in a small room with 2 other roommates. Sophomore year I shared a room in a cluster with 4 other rooms in the cluster. And this junior year, I get my own room in a house with the 7 same guys from last year.

So now, I am tired of living with people. I hope that doesn't mean I won't be able to start a family in the future.

Assertn
Mon, 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
My apt is 1650....but its a two bed + two bath apt (with its own kitchen, of course), so I'm just paying $825/mo for my share.

Everything has a price....is it worth not having a bedroom and a kitchen to save a hundred or so?

lilphatboi88
Mon, 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
No. It isn't. But there aren't very many options close to the university. Either that, or start looking into the $1000's

lilphatboi88
Wed, 06-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey Assertn, I was just browsing through the forum and I saw the post you made, "Post a pic of your room." That was 5 years ago. I'm curious, where and what did you graduate from? And what was your situation like once you graduated?