PDA

View Full Version : Eden of the East

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/116/18750.jpg

Alternative title: Higashi no Eden
Genre: Drama

On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike Japan. However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be called as "Careless Monday," does not result in any apparent victims, and is soon forgotten by almost everyone. Then, 3 months later... Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States of America on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House, Washington DC, she gets into trouble, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves her. However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery. He appears to have lost his memory. and he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand, and the mobile phone he's holding with the other hand. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash.

~ANN

Official Website: http://juiz.jp/blog/
ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10474
AnimeNfo: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4442,afmmun,higashi_no_eden.html
AniDB:http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6238
MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/anime/5630/Higashi_no_Eden

First Episode: [gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_01_[C9E23B74].mkv (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_01_%5BC9E23B74%5D.mkv.torrent)

Sapphire
Fri, 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Oh I totally HAVE to see this!! Honey and Clover was riveting, beautiful, and heartbreaking. Only based off of that I have high hopes for this anime.. totally downloading now!

I remember when the other students from Honey and Clover were trying to find out Morita's secret job, I really thought Morita was a spy for the CIA or something.. ahckck. Wait, it only has the same illlustrator, so who knows.. ahhh

We'll see we'll see! I'm optimistic.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Holy crap.

It has a completely different feel to H&C, but the characters feel the same. It's kind of hard to describe.

The OP and the ED are easily the best I've ever seen, and that is no exaggeration. The OP is just really pretty, but the song is good too. The ED though...holy crap. That is some amazing stop motion papercraft.

Back to the episode. The use of the white scribble over his junk accomplished two things. 1) Satisfied any need for censorship and 2) constantly drew your attention to it as it moved and flickered, completely eliminating any protection the censorship actually provided! That made the audience as aware and uncomfortable as everyone in the series.

Morimi is very attractive as a character too. She has that energetic air about her that the heroines of H&C completely lacked, but she's savvy and althetic enough to keep up with 'Akira.' I liked all the pop culture references he made in the apartment, and the English was really well done. Maybe they finally got some native speakers for once.

Lots of big mysteries too. Who is behind the Noblesse Oblige organization that wiped his memories with a phone call? Who is responsible for the terrorist attack and why? Is the description wrong (Morimi and Akira already meet up before the missiles are fired, not three months later)?

As for this episode, who was 'Akira' pointing the gun at? Was it the cops, was it the White House, or was he after Momiri?

There is no way I am not watching this, whether gg is trolling about just doing this one episode or not.

animus
Fri, 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
This was a great first episode, it's so unique.

And damn, I'm so fucking glad they didn't have people speak Engrish throughout the whole thing and actually had people that could actually speak English fluently.

Surprised there wasn't something politically with the missile attack since a nuke flew over Japan not too long ago from N. Korea.

Sapphire
Fri, 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
FFFFFFFFFFFFF---

Exactly. As soon as the ep finished, I was just like, "HOLY. SHIT".

The animation/art is realistic and amazing. I mean you could see the reflections off of the sparkling airport floor oh my god. I looked at the DC terrain and for the first time went, "so this is how America looks with a Japanese animation style," rather than "uh, I assume this place is supposed to be somewhere in North America?"

The show was all together suspenseful, humorous, and interesting even though I had no idea what was happening. It's an amazing premise. I love both dazed yet determined Morimi and quirky yet badass-clever Akira.

I was shocked at how good the American accents in this show were. I was like HOLY CRAP okay they got some natives and it worked well. I think I will have to marathon this show because there's no way I can watch this in small doses.

I can already tell this will be a masterpiece.

masamuneehs
Fri, 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM
man. this show is getting some kind of rave reviews...

The fansubwiki site lists this series as already being dropped by gg. And I've really had it up to here with their asinine pranks and trolls. Regardless of if they're doing it for real or not, I'm going to sit and wait for another group... well, a particular group that is...

because I'm not going to be trying out this "Desire" group
Desire - Eden of the East - Episode 1 (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BDesire%5D%20Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2001%20%5B1440x810%5D%5BAAC-x264%5D%5B24E11BF6%5D.mkv.torrent)
Any group whose first release was Rideback Episode 07 and whose staff page is filled with idiocy sends up certain warning flags for me...

Good news about this series: Frostii and AnimeONE will also be subbing it.

Bad news about this series: It's only 11 episodes long.

This has gone on my list of things to watch though.

David75
Fri, 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
That's what a bit of nicely managed CG can do. And I think this is just the begining of that technical trend. For now, if you watch the details, you get the CG feeling and understand the technical choices that had to be made for the ep to be produced quickly enough without impacting production costs too much.
Also they had to make some choices so that it remaines anime and keeps an artistic touch.
I'm still wondering wether it's a good or a bad thing. Time will tell I guess. It also really depends on the quality of the scenario and story.
I remember the first CG anime (french or other ones) that were just horrible for lack of story or anything interresting. Then you have some hilarious eps from "Tripping the Rift" were quality isn't even a problem, since humor, sarcasm and everything about it is way more important.

Regarding american voices, they're a bit too clean, studio recorded with absolutely no sound scene integration. So it really sounds like some video games. But it's fine too, at least they improved that part.

Regarding the story:
Is he some kind of clone or artificially grown human?
They talk as if he'd be eliminated, but he wasn't. His brainwashing did not affect his abilities. For some reason, the girl is either the target of part of it.

Other than that, I do not think of anything particular, strange start I'd say.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm still wondering wether it's a good or a bad thing. Time will tell I guess. It also really depends on the quality of the scenario and story.
I remember the first CG anime (french or other ones) that were just horrible for lack of story or anything interresting. Then you have some hilarious eps from "Tripping the Rift" were quality isn't even a problem, since humor, sarcasm and everything about it is way more important.
Putting aside things like Voltron: The Third Dimension and ReBoot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot) (the latter was awesome back in the day), I ultimately believe it will be a good thing.

Sure, there will be the occasional Pilot Candidate, Boobanaut, or To Love Ru horribly integrated CGI, but on the whole, they seem to be getting a lot better at it. Eden of the East looks a lot more like a Makoto Shinkai film (especially the airport) than it does those titles. The key point is to stay away from a few spectacular action sequences and blend it in more uniformly. Using is for backgrounds is often very successful. It even works in manga, as Akamatsu (Love Hina, Negima) has been using CG backdrops for years.

Also they had to make some choices so that it remaines anime and keeps an artistic touch.Still, don't forget that almost no anime these days is actually hand drawn. It's all done on computers, even if it doesn't look like it is.

Kraco
Sat, 04-11-2009, 02:34 AM
A really interesting series for sure. I was purely posivitively surprised by the American voices as well (and thus it was no surprise to see American names in the credits). They almost sounded strange considering how it's normally Engrish you hear, and so to actually hear real English sounds out of place (which I reckon was a part of the issue for David as well, even if he only talked about technical quality and integration).

Hard to say too much about the plot yet, other than I don't think the dude had too deep a mission yet necessarily. He might have been some sort of a prototype or an experiment for possible future missions. Perhaps some sort of an artificial dublicate personality that can be activated with a phone call. Who knows, but hopefully we will learn more later.

The girl was also really nice. Energetic like has been said, but felt really believable and real. She might turn even more energetic once back in Japan, if they really want to emphasize little details.

This show is absolutely a keeper.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-11-2009, 03:35 AM
The dude does sound like an experimental subject where they're designed to have multiple personalities, enabling them to turn on the "terrorist" mode on and off, while no amount of probing by officials and government would be able to link them back to the organisation.

However, "programing" artificial personalities may be hard, if not impossible, so after they train them up as a terrorist, you simply wipe them and let the other develop naturally, calling them up only when needed. Since it's "natural", nothing should seem suspicious to an outsider neither. After all, you can't screw up an act if you're not acting.

Interesting, and while I haven't seen Honey and Clover, the characters still have a really nostalgic feel to them.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 04-11-2009, 03:42 AM
As someone who never really liked Honey & Clover, this show is a pleasant surprise.

The OP/ED animation blew me away and the OP song being in English instantly reminded me of Ergo Proxy. I too was surprised by the non-engrish voice acting and that was one of the main reason that i kept watching.

I like how this episode has a really relaxed atmosphere to it even while revealing the more serious side like wiped memories and bombing. Morimi is certainly cheerful and a bit ditsy i'm not sure if i like her yet. Akira is definitely an interesting character and i enjoyed the Bourne reference.

One of the few shows this season that had me sit through the entire first episode without wanting to skip it.

meller
Sat, 04-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Well, the OP is done by Oasis and called "falling down" from the "dig out your soul" album.
I wonder how Production I.G. managed to get them ...

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-11-2009, 08:06 AM
The same way that Geneon got Radiohead for the Ergo Proxy ED. They paid for it by licensing the song.

David75
Sat, 04-11-2009, 09:20 AM
The same way that Geneon got Radiohead for the Ergo Proxy ED. They paid for it by licensing the song.

SonyMusic is a sponsor, so maybe they didn't have to pay too much for it?

I remember ParadiseKiss ED going very well with Franz Ferdinand's "Do you want to"
I guess that when a sponsor is a music major, that helps

Sapphire
Sat, 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I vote this for Series En Fuego

Marik
Sat, 04-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Another option.

[Mistwalker & Tadashi] Eden of the East - 01 (720p H.264 AAC).mkv (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=21720)

[Lunar] Eden of the East - 01 (720p H.264) [F0144C3F].mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/%5BLunar%5D%20Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2001%20(720p%20H.264)%20%5BF0144C3F%5D.mkv.torren t)
[Lunar] Eden of the East - 01 (XviD-Hobovision) [012564D1].avi (http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/%5BLunar%5D%20Eden%20of%20the%20East%20-%2001%20(XviD-Hobovision)%20%5B012564D1%5D.avi.torrent)

MFauli
Sat, 04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
well, i dont get all the hype and use of superlatives, but i definitely liked the first episode and will keep watching.

morimi looks like a 1:1 clone of the girl in Itazurana Kiss, though.

Yukimura
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I watched this first ep and felt mild amusement and passing interest in seeing my hometown rendered quite attractively (albeit with some inconsistencies of course) in an anime but I'm not ready to sell my first born for the DVD boxset of the show just yet.

Both Akira and Momoi seem like ditzes, and I was under the impression the tone of the show would be more serious than comedic. I don't particularly care for ditziness when it's mixed unevenly with seriousness, but I think it can still be done well so I'm curious how that will play out. It's probably a safe bet that Akira at least will have more than one side to him and where he might go seems decently up in the air. I can't see many paths for Momoi's evolution though, beyond ditzy neutral party having crazy stuff happen all around her and maybe becoming ditzy determinator.

The animation, character design, and to a lesser extent character behavior all reminded me of Library Wars and that may take some getting used to as something about Library Wars's look and feel always rubbed me the wrong way even though I ultimately enjoyed the series. I'm hoping the series takes a more serious turn in the coming episodes with the whole bombing/organization mystery but who knows, the serious tone could just as easily end up being a background to a ditzy romance story (please God not that).

MFauli
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Library Wars? I thought that at least Morimi looks like a Hayao Miyazaki-character. Her facial structure looks like Chihiro´s from Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I loved this. It was so awesome. I'm not exactly sure if I can pin-point and explain what exactly made it awesome, but it's more like everything in it just worked well to make it a very enjoyable and interesting watch. There were a few scenes where I was going like "did they really have to do that? <.<" (example being the scene in the hallway with the cop :x). and I have to admit I'm a little uneasy about the story so far.. the whole terrorist in DC hits a little too close to home. but it is interesting, and I'll definitely keep watching it.

Xrlderek
Mon, 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Will keep watching this, I thought it was good. I was really surprised that it didn't have any engrish.

Sapphire
Mon, 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Speaking of awesome stop-motion, one of the coolest stop-motions I've ever seen is featured on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmkLlVzUBn4)..

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-17-2009, 02:26 AM
[gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_02_[88C1E389].mkv (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_02_%5B88C1E389%5D.mkv.torrent)

MFauli
Fri, 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
wtf kind of power is that xd "BAM!"

Rather slow episode, but i like the atmosphere.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I kind of had the feeling that the detective was a little creepy, and the end confirmed it. He felt kind of like a stalker, and I was wondering why he was so damn concerned with finding out who IX was. If he was part of administration like Juiz is, he would either already know, or didn't have a right to know. Everything about him felt...off.

The expenses in his phone were crazy too. He blows through it getting assassinations it seems. Maybe he even ordered the new missile strikes given his utter lack of cash now. Total lack of morals, which is a strange contrast considering Akira (IX) had all his memories wiped and has no reason to be considered "good" either.

Morimi is still cute though, and now that there is more intrigue, there's no question this series will be right towards the top of my weekly anticipations.

(I got my other question answered about the timeline of the missiles too.)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Great second episode. No stupid cliche developments, interesting characters, mysterious plot, what else can I ask for?

This is shaping up to be one of the best this season, along with K-ON and Cross Game.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like the no-ED thing will continue for the rest of this series. In a way, that's good as it keeps any mysterious plots from previous eps mysterious. It's not like you need a preview every week to hook people onto this anyway.

Oniken
Sat, 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
wtf kind of power is that xd "BAM!"

If you look closely, you can see the muzzle flash come from the car in the background when he says BAM in one of the shots. Reminded me a bit of Spike from Bebop

Yukimura
Sun, 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM
I can't be the only one who found this episode boring can I? Other than the last few minutes I didn't feel interested or engaged by the events of the ep at all.

On the 'mystery' side they spit out enough clues about what the voice on the other end of the phone does with the money that it doesn't feel like much of a mystery anymore. There's still the matter of why the system was been set up and to what purpose is it being used but from the way it's being presented as a side issue to the romance I don't feel like it's meant to be that important to the story. On the romance side we have another girl has the hots for the guy who is oblivious but she won't say anything, just blindly follow him around hoping he'll notice her and return her feelings. There's only so many ways this can go in a serious themed show and they've all been done (to death in my opinion). I don't think I'm going to get any more interested in the couple's relationship at this point but I'm still holding out some hope that the mystery side pulls something off that's engaging or interesting. The show is apparently only 11 eps so hopefully things will start picking up sooner rather than later.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-19-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm fully positive the mysterious side of things will be equal to, if not more than the romance side. They're introducing the darker material slowly but surely, building upon itself each episode. Figuratively speaking, it's not unlike how the detective will "catch up" to the pair and finally crossing paths. That's especially the case now that he's low on credit.

Talking about the plot, does anyone have a hunch on what's going on? Ther terms used in the latest episode didn't give terribly much away, but have some interesting implications:

-The detective mentioned "duty", and when looking at IX's spending, commented on how his spending isn't for servicing the country, implying that the credit is FOR servicing the country. The said country is certainly Japan, since it's implementing the Selecao System, and off all currencies, the phones use Yen.

-"Selecao" lit Selection/selected one, is used as a location. Tying in with Juiz calling them the Messiah, lit the anointed one, dedicated to a special/sacred purpose, confirms whatever "selection" IX is part of is there for a reason. Further more, who selected them? Ties in above?

-"Noblesse Oblige", lit "Whoever claims to be noble must conduct himself nobly", a repeated by Juiz almost like a reminder for these Messiahs to spend their credit for its intended purpose. "It's your responsibility to use it up", if I recall correctly.

- "Juiz">>"Judas"? Perhaps a reference to the one who, in conspiracy theories, secretly carries out the word of Jesus? Of the twelve disciples, he was also the on in charge of the funds/spending.

-"Eden of the East"....not so sure about this one. The first sanctuary (Eden) created, where the peace is kept by so called selected Messiahs with absolute power?

Pandadice
Tue, 04-21-2009, 02:16 AM
I can't be the only one who found this episode boring can I? Other than the last few minutes I didn't feel interested or engaged by the events of the ep at all.

On the 'mystery' side they spit out enough clues about what the voice on the other end of the phone does with the money that it doesn't feel like much of a mystery anymore. There's still the matter of why the system was been set up and to what purpose is it being used but from the way it's being presented as a side issue to the romance I don't feel like it's meant to be that important to the story. On the romance side we have another girl has the hots for the guy who is oblivious but she won't say anything, just blindly follow him around hoping he'll notice her and return her feelings. There's only so many ways this can go in a serious themed show and they've all been done (to death in my opinion). I don't think I'm going to get any more interested in the couple's relationship at this point but I'm still holding out some hope that the mystery side pulls something off that's engaging or interesting. The show is apparently only 11 eps so hopefully things will start picking up sooner rather than later.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. if you dig into it I can see how this could easily come off as some recycled boring junk. (that's the exact feeling i got from Tayutama. the "haven't i seen this enough?" reaction).

but I do disagree with you.. I enjoyed the episode.

so far I'm pretty much taking this at face value. I haven't really dug into it yet, (because I haven't seen much to dig into?) but just taking it at face value, looking at the characters and the art and the characters interactions, I'm really enjoying it. maybe it is just the character designs I've fallen for, but this show is genuinely entertaining me.

only 11 eps D:! i thought for sure it'd be a 24/26 :\. maybe it'll have a fast pace to it then?

Kraco
Fri, 04-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Juiz's quiz:

Episode 3 - gg (http://ggkthx.org/Torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_03_%5BA2750BD4%5D.mkv.torrent)

David75
Fri, 04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Humm, It's a tad boring isn't it.

And they really had to spoof the "Big Blue" movie just because they had to show some images in the ep and would have had to pay royalties? Because it's the only movie that got wrong, all the others were named correctly, but they only referred to them.
On my original double CD from the time of the movie, it says Gaumont and Virgin as major having rights at the time. Oh well. That really a small detail.

So the main lead is thought to be a mass murderer.

Well, we'll see.

Kraco
Fri, 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I didn't think this boring. In contrary I thought it quite nice how they handled the phone theft issue. Hmm... Well, I admit the interaction between Takizawa and Morimi could have been better. But maybe we just kind of missed anything better when the cop attacked Takizawa and Morimi was left to finish the movie alone.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-25-2009, 10:17 PM
So who the hell confuses the phone number of their mistress and their wife? No one, I believe, and my suspicions were all but confirmed with the detective's last bit of dialogue. Being a game, it has rules. It's game over when you use up all your money, but it might be just as fatal if you steal someone else's phone. The fingerprint identification could be used as a security mechanism against innocent bystanders, but could just as easily identify fraudulent Selecaos and send in the Supporter for the kill. That could well be what our dead friend realised a little too late.

Note that this Supporter may not necessarily have anything to do with this "game", just someone who's in a convenient position with a potential motive to kill said agent.

Otherwise, killing NEET (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neet) = saving a country? Interesting idea....not too fond of it though :p

Not sure if there's a link between the Twelve Selecaos and the Twelve Apostles, but it certainly fits in with this whole "Eden" symbolism. I would have commented on about the numbers, since Takizawa (IX) coincides with James the Just (#9), but then the detective (IV) being John (#4) doesn't make much sense.

And I really liked the dog. It was cute.

narutosharingan
Wed, 04-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Other than gg, which sub is worth watching? Is Lunar any good?

Kraco
Thu, 04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I haven't watched other Eden subs than gg, but generally speaking Lunar is an old (many years old) fansub group of pretty decent and solid quality. They aren't probably bad at all if you want something else than gg for whatever reason.

narutosharingan
Thu, 04-30-2009, 01:27 AM
I haven't watched other Eden subs than gg, but generally speaking Lunar is an old (many years old) fansub group of pretty decent and solid quality. They aren't probably bad at all if you want something else than gg for whatever reason.

My computer can't play them

David75
Fri, 05-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Apparently, fake torrent for ep 4, had to edit, stay tuned

Edit: Legit one

[gg]​_Eden​_of​_the​_East​_-​_04​_[516BAE2B]​.mkv 314.18 MiB @ xabin.mine.nu (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_04_%5B516BAE2B%5D.mkv.torrent)

Oniken
Fri, 05-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I downloaded it, it was Episode 4 but had no subs

David75
Fri, 05-01-2009, 02:41 AM
I downloaded it, it was Episode 4 but had no subs

Had the same problem with K-On! 05 from CoolGuys... not CoalGuys.
We'll have to wait

Kraco
Fri, 05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
If an early torrent isn't using their usual trackers but nyaatorrents, it's almost always a fake one. That's a pretty reliable indication when judging the authenticity of a release. Sometimes you see other trackers a long time after the real release if something happened (temporarily) to the usual tracker.

David75
Fri, 05-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Legit one

[gg]​_Eden​_of​_the​_East​_-​_04​_[516BAE2B]​.mkv 314.18 MiB @ xabin.mine.nu (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_04_%5B516BAE2B%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Fri, 05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Well, well. It was somewhat expected background info, but in the end not a whole lot was revealed. Though I suppose we might have learned that Takizawa won't be learning of his forgotten past any time soon, which enhances the importance of the reason why he decided to wipe his memories. He had some project going on before the wipe, but was it essential to lose his memories to complete it, or did he fail and wanted a fresh start without the burden of the failure.

Still, I don't think the detective was ordering the missile attacks. He didn't seem to have a clue what to do and was just wasting time and money. The missiles must be someone else's master plan.

A ruthless game in any case. I doubt all the facts have yet been revealed.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Hmm...we didn't have to wait long at all to see who Morimi was in love with. They made it overtly blatant who that might be. This adds a few dynamics to her side of this story. She liked her sister's husband, but now she likes Akira, and her friend seems to be deeply in love with her, offering to support her on her interview. The relationship between Morimi and her sister seemed a little...distant and uncomfortable, like maybe her sister knew about her crush on the brother-in-law.

I liked the conversation that Akira had with Juiz next to the pile of phones. It was cute in a way.

I wonder if the missile shooter is also the Supporter. It would make sense, especially if it was true about what Kondo (the cop) said and Akira gathered all those NEETs only for them to get blown up in a missle attack. It could be that the Supporter, who may already know who all of them are, is intentionally trying to foul up other's attempts with missle attacks or other methods in order to ensure his own survival. Or it might just be one of the regular numbers trying to mess up everyone's plans, and not the Supporter. It's too soon to tell.

He had some project going on before the wipe, but was it essential to lose his memories to complete it, or did he fail and wanted a fresh start without the burden of the failure.I think the latter case is more likely. It sounds like he wasted some money, or perhaps as I'm guessing above, one of the others intentionally ruined his plans. For whatever reason, he got desperate and had to start over.

What that doesn't explain, however, is why he had all of those weapons in his D.C. apartment. Moreover, why he was naked, pointing the gun at Morimi? We don't see it when the gun is pointed, but his arm is straight, and drops straight down after he is memory-wiped. The camera changes when he comes back to his senses, and his torso has not shifted angle. Directly in front of him is a gap in the gates, a clear shot directly at her back, not at the cops who approach her later.

Perhaps Akira decided to wipe his memories and play the legit hero for her, but it still seems like he was just answering a call he didn't expect to recieve. It looked like the memory wipe caught him off guard.

Kraco
Sat, 05-02-2009, 02:21 AM
What that doesn't explain, however, is why he had all of those weapons in his D.C. apartment. Moreover, why he was naked, pointing the gun at Morimi?

Would that indicate he suspected one in Morimi's family is also in the game and is the one who ruined his plan, and he intended to take them out? I can't see how any of them would have otherwise been significant enough to warrant killing.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Perhaps Akira decided to wipe his memories and play the legit hero for her, but it still seems like he was just answering a call he didn't expect to recieve. It looked like the memory wipe caught him off guard.

That it indeed weird. One thing that's for sure is that someone else didn't order that memory wipe, since it'll show up in the records. Outsider made it sound like there's only one Supporter. However, both recently deceased Selacaos were killed by seemingly different people. Furthermore, if there was only one appointed Supporter, it would make him the winner already - unless there's a way to make him kill himself should he go astray.

Guess one main point of this episode was to show there are nice guys out there too.

But...what the hell are Johnnys?

RyougaZell
Tue, 05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
How do you infere there are more than 1 supporter Bill? The cop's wife could have easily been copied (the text message) by the same guy who killed the Doc.

MFauli
Tue, 05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
man, is noone releasing an SD-version anymore? still couldnt watch ep4 because all is hd...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
How do you infere there are more than 1 supporter Bill? The cop's wife could have easily been copied (the text message) by the same guy who killed the Doc.

Hmm, good point. I assumed the Supporter personally does the killing. Your idea could well work.

man, is noone releasing an SD-version anymore? still couldnt watch ep4 because all is hd...
[xvid-gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_04_[20090501].avi (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=61787)

-file size/format suggests SD re-encode.

MFauli
Wed, 05-06-2009, 01:34 AM
thx a lot

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
[gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_05_[415C9B39].mkv (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_05_%5B415C9B39%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 05-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Haha. So, the NEETs weren't killed but shipped off to Dubai into the middle of a desert, to a hellish rehab camp. Akira was a pretty nice guy after all. Certainly doesn't explain why he had his his memories wiped, though. All in all it seems like he will continue to concentrate on saving the youth, but especially keeping that in mind his little speech to Morimi was kind of strange: She had just failed to get into the company she wanted to join and thus also failed to gain the indepence she so desired, and he tells her she shouldn't care and it's fine not to work, and that he will take care of everything. What the heck kind of a speech is that to give to somebody?

Still, I'm glad those two are together again. And even Akira's not so serious competition for Morimi's heart will be taken care of by the man-eater.

"Uncle" scene was pretty funny. Akira should learn to speak more carefully to Juiz. (Even if it only cost him measly &#165;60, haha.)

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I wonder if he really forgot about all the NEETs as part of the memory wipe, or whether he left them there intentionally. Either way, it worked out and he saved, was is something like 10,000 people? Just by giving them a slap to the face leaving them in that hellhole (if you're not super rich anyway). Like a, "Get back off your ass and live," speech.

I took his speech to Saki the same way. She refused an offer from one company because she felt like they were telling her she would just be used. It's something a lot of Japanese companies seem to do today to their junior employees, and then Saki was rejected by her backup, a company somehow beholden to her brother-in-law. The attitude of those OLs showed a good slice of what the atmosphere around all-too-many companies can be, so it was probably for the best that she got rejected.

What Akira was pointing to was his own renewed resolve. At the beginning of this episode, he was put out by the prospect of the little project he joined. He met the reformed NEET, and while confused, seemed to feel a little better about it. When he heard Saki's tale about how nasty these people are, Akira decided he would take care of it. He's focused on the youth already, and now he sees another aspect he should fix. Like the doctor who blew through all his money with one very broad request to help the opposite end of the generation spectrum, Akira will do the same. Saki's stalker mentioned it on the train as well, they are like a generation of NEETs, abused by those in power, and with the current way the country works, they could get to 30 or 40 before they realize they were not able to contribute to the country in any way.

I think Akira was telling Saki that he's going to change that, not save her specifically. He helped some actual NEETs connect back to the world, and now he's going to try and help those squeezed into the NEET mold by the very system they were doing their best to join. He started saying it by talking directly to her after the kiss, but when he described how "weird" things had gotten and his duty to change it, he was looking at the city as his target.

I've got to say, I'm really starting to like Rei Igarashi's performances. She plays the man-eater here, and the evil bitch in Shangri-La too. She's so good at making a character utterly repellent from the the very first time they open their mouth. Oozing narcissism, egoism, disgusting levels of vanity (even beyond narcissism), greed, lust, pure selfishness, etc. in every single syllable.

- From the smirk on his face, maybe it was so cheap because the Prime Minister really enjoyed doing it.

- I laughed when Saki's other friend, made it seem like her stalker and he were in that kind of relationship, embarrassing them both thoroughly.

- Saki seems to recognize that her brother-in-law is too nice to her, and that is ultimately hurting her sister. Her sister notices that too, and seems to wish that were not the case. The brother-in-law is too nice, and too dense to see what kind of problems his behavior is getting them all into.

tl;dr - I think Akira was gathering his own resolve rather than telling Saki he was going to take care of her and her alone. I'm starting to like the evil bitch VA, she's so good at it.

Kraco
Fri, 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
NEETs of the East:

Episode 6 - gg (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_06_%5B9CA2FDB0%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - -

Can't say huge things would have happened in this episode to explain the game further, but Akira was continuing on his chosen path. It was also made very clear what he meant in the previous ep about taking care of Saki's problem. Although it kind of felt like something had been omitted earlier, because these two eps were bound together in a way that left, for me, a feeling of severed chronology. As if Akira already knew of this Eden project in the previous episode. Or maybe it had been mentioned earlier and I just didn't pay attention.

Akira's unlucky competitor for Saki's heart is certainly going through quite a torture. Of the spiritual kind so far, but like some real victims have said, waiting for the inevitable can be worse than the actual thing. Quite a pinch! The only reason why I wish he would get saved is that his death wouldn't distress Saki. Otherwise he's an annoying character I wouldn't miss.

Xrlderek
Fri, 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned earlier. I had to check the ending of last episode again just to make sure I hadn't missed some minutes. I don't really like the current direction of the plot but I still like the series. I hope there will be more information/answers next episode.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Shiratori has taken around 20,000 men? She's probably killed nearly all of them.

Why hasn't the Supporter killed her yet? Killing lonely men and having the bodies quietly disposed of can't possibly be a good method of saving the country, no matter how you look at it. She even has Juiz call her something specific instead of the usual lines the other receive when they make requests.

The rest of this episode didn't do a whole lot for me. The image recognition software was pretty cool Micchon is an interesting/cute character, and Saki does look great in anything she wears, even a purple sweatsuit.

narutosharingan
Sat, 05-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Can't say huge things would have happened in this episode to explain the game further, but Akira was continuing on his chosen path. It was also made very clear what he meant in the previous ep about taking care of Saki's problem. Although it kind of felt like something had been omitted earlier, because these two eps were bound together in a way that left, for me, a feeling of severed chronology. As if Akira already knew of this Eden project in the previous episode. Or maybe it had been mentioned earlier and I just didn't pay attention.

Akira's unlucky competitor for Saki's heart is certainly going through quite a torture. Of the spiritual kind so far, but like some real victims have said, waiting for the inevitable can be worse than the actual thing. Quite a pinch! The only reason why I wish he would get saved is that his death wouldn't distress Saki. Otherwise he's an annoying character I wouldn't miss.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is Saki's problem? This episode was a little confusing, as it feels like details were left out or they just glossed over them.

I feel bad for Ohsugi, even if he isn't a great character. It would be bad if they had that buildup but were unable to save him.

Kraco
Sat, 05-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is Saki's problem? This episode was a little confusing, as it feels like details were left out or they just glossed over them.

I reckon her problem was independence. She wants to move away from her sister and the sister's husband's household. For a few reasons, one of which is not being an economical burden and the other that she can't apparently help but like her sister's husband (like Ryll said), who in turn is a very gentle and friendly person, and no doubt that makes Saki feel like she's betraying her sister. And the other side of the independence is to move on in the society, that is, get a job now that she's graduated.

I feel bad for Ohsugi, even if he isn't a great character. It would be bad if they had that buildup but were unable to save him.

Or this all could be just to get one more player removed from the game. Ohsugi might be a sacrificial pawn in the plot.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
It felt like they just completely left out a conversation where Saki told the guy about all her friends and what they do. Not much really made sense this episode.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Perhaps drunk men tend to rape women? And somehow in Shiratori's ideal world, women are the most important? Sounds more like some twisted, personal fetish to me really, but anyhow. The policemen didn't exactly get punished for killing his debt chasers neither though, so I guess it's not something directly violating the rules.

The "flow" of the episode certainly felt choppy. I was expecting them to build on the whole Mr Outsider thing from last episode.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-17-2009, 05:48 AM
The policemen didn't exactly get punished for killing his debt chasers neither though, so I guess it's not something directly violating the rules.
That was different because from what we saw, Kondo never directly killed anyone. All of his murders were requests, not something he simply did and needed clean up for. I suppose that is why I see a difference in Shiratori's activities.

Archangel
Sun, 05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Shiratori has taken around 20,000 men? She's probably killed nearly all of them.

Why hasn't the Supporter killed her yet? Killing lonely men and having the bodies quietly disposed of can't possibly be a good method of saving the country, no matter how you look at it. She even has Juiz call her something specific instead of the usual lines the other receive when they make requests.

Well if i had to interpret it i'd say she's doing a taxi driver routine in trying to get rid of all the scum

Uberbaka
Sun, 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm assuming they're all free to do whatever they want no matter of the moral issues for the good of the nation.

She might think it's a good thing. I think that's part of the point of this entire setup to be honest. Experimenting with fulfilling the "If I had the power and resources to do it my way, I could make a difference" scenario.

20,000 though? Is that a proper translation? Sounds too high for it to be even remotely realistic if she's been doing it the way we've seen. That's like 1 a night (every night) for 54 years...?

Not too big a fan of the latest episode, and only 5 episodes to go...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it was an estimate. Since most, if not all of them get disposed of, you can't be too sure.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-21-2009, 05:43 AM
He did say 20,000 in japanese, and I wondered the exact same thing.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Episode 7 - GG (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_07_%5BB711DDE6%5D.mkv.torrent)

Wow...

David75
Sat, 05-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Episode 7 - GG (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_07_%5BB711DDE6%5D.mkv.torrent)

Wow...

Yup, I wasn't prepared for such an end.

The problem I see is that she ordered 3 illusions... one of them could be "make Saki believe Ohsugi is someone else and a serial rapist..."

That ep definetely was something else, If someone had told me about it, I probably wouldn't care and like it... But seeing it was really enjoyable I have to say.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-23-2009, 10:13 AM
If gg's subs are to be taken accurately, it's 3 pieces of illusion material which she hired, making this all very weird. I've come across the speculation that she died while jumping off the building, and the one flying off into the distance was an illusion. Her symbol for number 11 hadn't blacked-out yet though, meaning she's still alive, but it doesn't rule out the illusion part.

The fact that Shiratori called the man "horrible", then the surprised look at the name Ohsugi tells me the man she initially caught really was the rapist, and not an illusion in itself.

Like ahove, I agree it was quite the episode.

Archangel
Sat, 05-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Wait... wut?

That was cool to watch and everything, but quite the confusing ending

Xrlderek
Sat, 05-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Great episode. His cash will run out quite fast if he keeps making huge purchases like that :P I don't think the guy is Ohsugi but I am not sure. I wish this series was around 20 episodes.

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Great episode. His cash will run out quite fast if he keeps making huge purchases like that :P I don't think the guy is Ohsugi but I am not sure. I wish this series was around 20 episodes.

Its only going to be 11 episodes long. And a movie will be released afterwards this same year on Japan.

Archangel
Sat, 05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Its only going to be 11 episodes long. And a movie will be released afterwards this same year on Japan.

:(

But this is the only really good show this season ;_;

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM
So she bought the hotel back from him...interesting. Was that just so she could pull off that illusion, or does Akira get his money back from that?

I have to admit, as much as I hated her to the core the previous episodes, Shiratori was disturbingly likeable this episode. She knows damn well she is a murderer, was one before she became a Selacao (which gives her a lot of credibility and integrity because the money didn't change her at all), and quite frankly, she has her own individual charm, albeit a little creepy.

My guess is that the three illusions are the realistic wings, the supports (for her and the pervert floating), and the helicopter to blow out the windows and take her away.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM
So she bought the hotel back from him...interesting. Was that just so she could pull off that illusion, or does Akira get his money back from that?

Yes, that part had me confused a bit. Was it the animators who stuffed up, and tried to make all the Yen match up forgetting that the hotel purchase was made by Akira, or did she really buy it back?

It's hard, since it could be either, depending on whether that history was for XI only, or total-history from everybody. I'd like to think they didn't screw up. Then it explains why no one stopped Saki going up there.

So where the hell was Ohsugi this whole time?

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM
It's hard, since it could be either, depending on whether that history was for XI only, or total-history from everybody.

So where the hell was Ohsugi this whole time?
The histories have always been shown on a per-Selacao basis. Their number is highlighted, and it only shows their individual requests. If they have it selected, they can get alerts every time a particular Selacao makes requests. She bought it back for some reason.

Ohsugi was probably home, working off his hangover, and crying about Saki this whole time.

Uberbaka
Sun, 05-24-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm confused, he was the rapist, but he had Ohsugi's bag? The one with the club logo?

It had me making a "wat" face all through the ending, but I enjoyed it... I'd like to get my hands on some of that illusion material...

Kraco
Sun, 05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I hope the next episode will bring some definite answers, but I wouldn't count on it (I do hope we at least learn what happened to Ohsugi). Saki learned quite a few strange bits of info in any case. I'd hope that makes her and Akira closer, even if it makes her more suspicious of Akira.

I don't think we yet know if Selecao can earn money back into their Selecao accounts. Even if XI bought the hotel back, the money might have disappeared for good. In a certain sense that would make even more sense considering the game was to see who could do the most good with a definite amount of starting money. Still, managed hotels normally bring steady operational profit and that might have gone somewhere more permanent. Considering Akira is living in an empty mall, he's not the smartest person with money, though, in any case.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I doubt you can earn the money back. You can certainly use that money to earn more money and keep it in the bank. If depositing it back into the phone was possible, crooks could prolong their lives while barely fulfilling the requirement of being "good for the country".

Plus, I think the point of dying after 10bil was used up was so they had to use it wisely. With such a large sum, if you can't realise your image with it, then you're probably not fit in the first place.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-24-2009, 08:16 AM
I was actually more than a little surprised how little money Shiratori had spent in comparison to the detective. I had expected her account to be fairly low, but she had (and now has again) just as much money as Akira.

I guess the difference is that while the detective used cop bribes to have people assassinated, Shiratori does all the work herself, and only has Juiz do the cleanup, which is apparently very cheap.

I hope we see more of her soon, but we probably won't.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Yay...yet another WTF?! episode.

I liked the Shiratori interaction and her character seems to be the most interesting and sympathetic to me of all the chars introduced so far (I consider this somewhat of a bad thing for the series). Despite his good showing in this ep my mistrust and dislike of Akira continued to grow as I watched. While I can't help but respect his general cool factor Akira's attitude just doesn't seem quite right given the situations he's put in. He never seems upset or flustered or confused or frightened or anxious despite being in all sorts of crazy or dangerous situations where one would think some sort of emotional response other than mild amusement might be expressed. This consistent emotional display in spite of everything that happens around him creeps me out and leads me to believe he is and has always been a sociopath (EDIT: sociopath is possibly the wrong term but basically I'm talking about a condition where a person doesn't 'feel' emotions in the same way a 'normal' individual might, they don't necessarily have to be violent or destructive.) at the core. This and the unpredictable behavior it leads to makes me fear for any who associate with him.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM
He never seems upset or flustered or confused or frightened or anxious despite being in all sorts of crazy or dangerous situations where one would think some sort of emotional response other than mild amusement might be expressed. This consistent emotional display in spite of everything that happens around him creeps me out and leads me to believe he is and has always been a sociopath.
I think that is kind of the point. When he wiped his memories, he really didn't have any kind of personal memories with which to base his own behavior off of. The only thing he had left was movies. Movies always sort of exist in their own, ideal, isolated worlds. Some of them are sad, but a lot of them have the, "Hollywood Ending." Akira acts just like the hero in these kind of movies. Everything will sort of work itself out if he act heroicly.

But we also saw that he had more or less become either an action star or a terrorist in the first episode.

So I agree, but I like his type of character. It's very interesting to see how someone who can only function based off happy illusory worlds interacts with real people.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
[Nipponsei] Eden of the East OP Single - Falling Down [Oasis].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Eden%20of%20the%20East%20OP%20Si ngle%20-%20Falling%20Down%20%5BOasis%5D.zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Eden of the East ED Single - futuristic imagination [school food punishment].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Eden%20of%20the%20East%20ED%20Si ngle%20-%20futuristic%20imagination%20%5Bschool%20food%20p unishment%5D.zip.torrent)

Kraco
Wed, 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
So I agree, but I like his type of character. It's very interesting to see how someone who can only function based off happy illusory worlds interacts with real people.

Moreover, it can't be denied he cares about people quite a lot, so he's not any lost case in terms of humanity, even if his emotional range so far has been somewhat compromised.

Yukimura
Wed, 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Sure it can. I don't consider behaving benevolently without emotional investment in the behavior to be an indicator of true caring. He seems more akin to a robot programmed to do good deeds or an actor following a script that calls for him to behave like a hero. While his good deeds are certainly laudable it's the motivation behind his deeds which I am uncertain and uncomfortable about. Maybe Ryl's right and he can't do any better than go through the motions due to his situation but even if that's the case he's just not genuine for me. I don't think he's a natural jerk or a nutbag just pretending to be nice, but I think his attitude gives off more of an air of "I get lulz out of helping people" than an air of "I care about the plight of people".

Kraco
Wed, 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Ho... I was surely under the impression Akira has been actively trying to get into Saki's pants. Why else would he pay so much attention to her? Why else would he continuously be in contact with her? It's not like Saki as such would be any remarkable or key person. Her only special characteristic is being the first person Akira apparently saw after losing his memories. But so far it seems that was nothing but a coincidence, though knowing this series it might turn out to be something else, but that remains to be seen, and even if that was the case, Akira would have no idea, so that's hardly the reason for his interest.

Yukimura
Wed, 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I did consider that earlier but since he hasn't gone for it despite multiple opportunities it just added to my suspicions that he's just playing around or something. I believe he could have taken Saki with very little fuss by now if he wanted to but he hasn't bothered. He gets her plenty hot and bothered but then just pulls away to be aloof and happy go lucky again. I suppose he could be running an extra deep game on her but I do wonder what the point of that would be if he just wants into her pants.

I like conspiracy theories though and it just popped into my head that that Eden program seems like something plenty of conspiracies could be focused around. Perhaps the entire Akira-Saki relationship was established in order to get him (or someone) access to the program/programmers. It may not have been a coincidence at all that the Japanese Akira woke up right as a certain Japanese girl was visiting the White House in DC all alone and feeling lost in the world. Whatever the case may be, I don't trust Akira one lick at this point.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Ho... I was surely under the impression Akira has been actively trying to get into Saki's pants. Why else would he pay so much attention to her? Why else would he continuously be in contact with her?I can't blame him one bit.

I was under the impression he was doing a damn good job of it so far. Just a few days and the only person she thinks about is him? She even blow off that friend of hers who has been actively trying to get into her pants for years.

I did consider that earlier but since he hasn't gone for it despite multiple opportunities it just added to my suspicions that he's just playing around or something. I believe he could have taken Saki with very little fuss by now if he wanted to but he hasn't bothered. He gets her plenty hot and bothered but then just pulls away to be aloof and happy go lucky again.Maybe he's taking it slowly. Waiting until she approaches him like Shiratori did, nearly begging for it. Then again he didn't go for that either, but Shiratori is a little...different from Saki.

I am still not convinced chance alone brought him and Saki together. Unless they reveal that he wasn't, I will still operate under the impression that he was aiming the gun directly at her.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Episode 08 - gg (http://torx.ath.cx/t/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_08_%5BBEFAB99D%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 05-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Jealousy can really drive a man. Ohsugi will stop at nothing when pursuing his one-sided love. Still, it's rather interesting why Akira seems to be identified by so many names. The fact so many also considered him a crook might tell something about why he opted to have a memory sweep. Although naturally it's still too early to say whether those identifications were real ones.

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I wonder if this is the first time he has gotten a memory wipe... perhaps all those name have been of past re-formating.

After this episode I wish Ohsugi had been the one Shiratori was going to kill.

BTW
I really hate when GG leaves those tv spots in the middle of the episodes.

Kraco
Sat, 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM
After this episode I wish Ohsugi had been the one Shiratori was going to kill.

Although you never know with this show, but Akira's persecution by Ohsugi might end up working like a good catalyst for various things. Saki already has some doubts herself, yet she's clearly hesitant of proceeding with any investigations of her own - maybe simply because she wants to like Akira and not doubt his motives. However, such suspicions in the background can be a poison so it's good somebody makes a few things clear. Maybe it will end up breaking it, maybe it will end up sealing it, but either way something should change.

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-30-2009, 01:33 PM
That is quite true. But I still don't like Ohsugi's character. Lol.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, he does come off as one of those desperate hot-bloods with half a brain. Not that it all applies to him, but that's the general category I put him in. More cowardly than the usual stereotype too, might I add.

Part of the annoyance is how Ohsugi is treating Akira after we saw to what Akira went through to save him.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-31-2009, 05:55 AM
But he wasn't really in trouble, so it is only natural for him not to feel gratitude, not that I think any better of him despite this. He is not likable character at all.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Yeah, he does come off as one of those desperate hot-bloods with half a brain. Not that it all applies to him, but that's the general category I put him in. More cowardly than the usual stereotype too, might I add.
Even then I'd say you are being generous to his characterization. He seems to only be doing this because Akira seems to have gotten along further romantically with Saki in a few short weeks than Ohsugi has in several years. He comes off as pursuing the truth about Akira only because he is butt-hurt about being beaten to the punch. It is very much the behavior pattern more commonly seen in a stalker. He's convinced that Akira is a dangerous criminal.

In contrast, Saki and the others are certainly curious about Akira, but they don't assume he is a bad person. They did initially (as would be everyone's reaction to hearing their friend has run off with someone they've never heard of who lives in a mall) but after they got to know him a little, they still want to find the truth, but they aren't operating under the assumption that he is pure evil. They just want to make sure that someone they are about to go into business with is legit, and that he won't bring any harm to someone they care about. Saki trusts him more than anyone, and while she wants to know, she seems reserved in going about prying so deliberately.

The other members of Eden, including Saki, are going about this like adults, while Ohsugi is going about it like a spoiled child who had her doll taken away.

-------------------------
I like what this series has been building on as a case-study about morality. Akira seems like a good person, but he is really a total unknown. Shiratori thought he was the launcher of the missles, other Selacao were convinced he is the Supporter, and while his intentions ultimately seem good, some of the things he has done are not particularly "good." He's had terrorist kind of things in a D.C. apartment, strands 20,000 people in the UAE, and a lot of other "grey" activities.

Konda, the cop, would from the outside looking in appear to be a good person, but he was unfaithful, a murderer by proxy, not caring about consequences to his actions only the clean up, tried to cheat by stealing another phone, and all over a greedy, selfish person. We mostly saw his bad sides, but the other people he spoke with in his two episodes thought he was a real guy.

The doctor was completely selfless, a paragon really. Quite the contrast to the more shades characters in the series.

Even Shiratori. She was a murderer, and admitted it. But she had her own sense of honor, her own principles. Unlike Konda, the power of a Selacao didn't corrupt her. By her own admission, she was a murderer before, the power just sped up her schedule and made things easier for her. She chose targets deliberately, worked carefully, and apparently was very frugal with her funds. While she most certainly would be a truly evil character, we can't really label her that way.

All of the personalities of the various Selacao and Eden crew paint an interesting portrait of the human condition.

Archangel
Tue, 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM
This show doesn't seem anywhere close to any sort of ending and nothing really happened on this episode

How many episodes are left?

Yukimura
Tue, 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
@Ryllharu: What rational adult would enter into a buisness contract with someone who has an admitted case of ~weeks old amnesia without doing at the very least that same Eden search that Ohsugi did? These people know nothing of Akira's life before his mind wipe and what issues he might have forgotten about that the world might still remember yet they seem willing to just trust his word that he's completely on the level. I find this puzzling as he himself can't offer any explanation for his abnormality or guarantees that something from his past won't jump up and bite them in the ass for associating with him. Getting involved with someone you don't know well and who doesn't even know themselves just seems like asking for trouble to me.

On the Ohsugi front I'm far more annoyed at the plot device that he represents than his contrived jealous guy behavior. When I look at him I don't even see a character worth judging at this point I just see a plot device worth being annoyed at for its lack of subtlety. Ohsugi's purpose in the story seems to be to uncover potentially dirty information about Akira while at the same time tainting any such information with his jealousy and zealotry so that the characters (and the audience) will be less inclined to believe ill of Akira than if they had uncovered the same evidence themselves or through a neutral party. Since I lean toward the 'Akira was not such a good guy' camp I'm somewhat annoyed that any evidence supporting this belief will likely be poisoned by strawman Ohsugi and written off as less jealous rambling . On the bright side (for me) the fact that they are going to the trouble of setting up Ohsugi to skew negative opinion away from Akira's past could be a sign that there is more dirty info to be found and I can hope that ignoring that info now might later bite everyone in the ass, serving them right for falling for the strawman ploy in the first place.

Kraco
Sat, 06-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Contrived jealous guy behavior:

Episode 9 - gg (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_09_%5B82EC590D%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - - -

Too bad the nerd guy had to die. He was an interesting dude of quite 1337 skills. Still, he uploaded something somewhere. Not too surprising Akira wasn't a villain, although that confirmation does nothing to explain why he ordered the memory wipe for himself.

The next question is, then, what Akira will do to those murderous Selecao, especially if the nerd dude uploaded the relevant info he's missing and he receives it.

Another pleasant thing is that Saki wasn't interested in listening to Ohsugi, and even the others had their reservations. And I can't really see how one graffiti would convince them, either, even if it may increase their suspicions. Ohsugi of course only sees what he wants to see.

MFauli
Sat, 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM
for fucks sake, why have sd-groups abandoned this series? im at episode 7 and cant watch 8 and 9 because theyre only in hd.
meh

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-06-2009, 11:16 AM
RIP big fella. You're the most lovable character in the whole show. :(

Ohsugi deserves all the attention he gets from Saki - none. Tempting as his offer was, she chose to believe Akira without even hearing him out. Ohsugi should now find a hole and hide for the rest of the show. Actually, no. I'd rather he does more stupid shit and crosses paths with other Selacao. Tubby finally got out of his hole after several years, and look what happened to him?

The dialogue between #1?(glasses guy) and #10 were funny though. After hitting tubby into the gutter, it sounded like he was saying #10 was the one trying to save people from missiles.

David75
Sat, 06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
#10 coud be Akira's brother, eventhough he didn't recognize Akira as such. Double memory wipe?

RyougaZell
Sat, 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Argh... if they can kill a cool character like Itazu, I hope they do kill Ohsugi soon.

Great episode. RIP great character Itazu.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Another pleasant thing is that Saki wasn't interested in listening to Ohsugi, and even the others had their reservations. And I can't really see how one graffiti would convince them, either, even if it may increase their suspicions. Ohsugi of course only sees what he wants to see.I think by this point thought that Saki's ability to see this objectively has already been a little bit tainted by her budding affection (if not outright love) for Akira. We discussed it either last episode or a few more back, but she can't really be expected to make unbiased judgements like her friends can.

For a larger issue, we don't really know if the NEETs are the ones who wrote that. It could have been Mononobe or number 10 (Yuuki) or any of the other Selacao who think their own plans might get messed up by Akira's benevolence.

The evil two are positioning themselves for dominance rather than salvation. Number 10 is working with the government now, and Mononobe used to work for them and seems to have set up the missle attacks. For at least part of the episode, I was wondering if Number 9 Akira had stolen someone else's name, which certainly seemed likely given how much Number 10 (Yuuki) looks to him. It would also explain why all the other Selacao believed that Akira had perpetrated the missle attacks. It seems like they intend to use terrorism and a false flag attack to take command of Japan and then mold it as they see fit.

It's weird that Mononobe is telling Yuuki that he will save Japan from missle attacks when Yuuki is the one who ordered them. A brainwipe may be likely here as well.

What number was Mononobe again? I notice he covered the number on his phone with his fingers most of this episode. They showed the number and the ring in an earlier episode.

@MFauli:
There have been re-encodes of gg's releases into low-resolution xvids this entire time. Check Tokyotosho once in a while.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
[gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_09v2_Patch.zip (http://xabin.mine.nu/gg-tracker/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_09v2_Patch.zip.torrent)

CHANGES
Fixed tl errors. (inb4 hurrdurrstillwrong)

Commandline for non-windows users:
xdelta3 -d -s [gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_09_[82EC590D].mkv Eden_09v2_Patch.xdelta [gg]_Eden_of_the_East_-_09v2_[5E1ECA09].mkv

Not very comprehensive, but at 0.5MB, "too big" is hardly an issue.

Pandadice
Tue, 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
what was the deal with the commercials half way through these last two episodes? bad raws?

really sucked that panties died, he seemed like a pretty sweet character. this is definitely an interesting series, and it's so high quality at that.. I mean, yeah it's Production I.G, so I guess it should be expected.

I really can't see them wrapping this up in the next two episodes, but I guess that's what the theatrical movie is for? why do shows have to save the finales for the theaters :(. it'll be 6 months after the theatrical release until we get a sub >.<...

hey, did anyone notice the resemblance between that one bad guy, and the main dude from The Sky Crawlers?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3264/snapshot20090609222023.th.png (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/snapshot20090609222023.png/)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4467/46287.th.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/46287.jpg/)

kinda looks like I.G is recycling (not so) old character designs xD

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice catch there. Recycled design indeed, although that is quite common especially for works within the same company.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Episode 10 - gg (http://ggkthx.org/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_10_%5B18401B27%5D.mkv.torrent)

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Oh heck... I want to know what happened to Takizawa... how was he betrayed??? Only one episode left... I hope they don't leave this unanswered until the movie.

And I LOLed at the 3 Selecao's plan been fooled just like that. And that woman had the very same voice like Juiz... wasn't she supposed to be a machine according to #1?

Uberbaka
Sat, 06-13-2009, 06:17 AM
1 episode left (plus film) and I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the series... =/

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-13-2009, 07:53 PM
If those three really thought that someone with a plan this ridiculous in scale and scope wouldn't anticipate, they are nowhere near as smart as they think they are.

When they announced that Juiz was an AI, I can't say I was surprised at all, considering she has answered multiple requests at the exact same time (Shiratori's arc). Now that they've moved her for only 5000 yen, I'm not so sure that their assumption was correct. Same goes for believing that Mr. Outside must be dead. Someone planning this wouldn't be so stupid to not leave a few false leads.

Overconfidence and greed got the better of them. The third guy hasn't even spent any money, he just allied himself with the other two because they want to cheat and "win" as a team so they don't get killed. Shiratori, the old doctor and Akira were all at least legitimately attempting to help in their own respective ways. Konda tried too, but got disillusioned and spent his money too fast.

That little brat Yuuki is nothing more than an angry jealous youth. He shoots off missiles just because he's a little pissed that life is hard? Mononobe is no better, taking advantage of that to kill off the burden of the elderly (huge problem for Japan the next decade or so). The old doctor took a different approach to that very problem. He set up a clinic that bleed money for the sole purpose of removing the burden of the elderly without removing the elderly themselves.

Mononobe, just like I expected, wanted little more than the power that cheating could afford him. He didn't want to save anyone, he and Yuuki and that other asshole just want power.

Concerning the NEETs, did Akira ultimately succeed in removing their burden as well? Mononobe and crew were going to kill NEETs too. Akira on the other hand, took 20,000 of the laziest and most introverted, unskilled people in Japan, standed them in Dubai. Now they've returned on their own power, motivated, and took over an entire tanker. Couldn't you say he's changed their attitude permanently? He took people who had no ambition and no goals and focused them all on getting home, getting revenge, and then probably making sure that they will never be tricked into a situation like that again.

The one he met earlier on the street (who had gotten home after meeting someone in Dubai) seemed quite content and moderately successful in life.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM
1 episode left (plus film) and I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by the series... =/

So it's confirmed that this will be finished off with a film?

Pandadice
Tue, 06-16-2009, 02:04 AM
So it's confirmed that this will be finished off with a film?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-06/production-i.g-to-add-eden-of-the-east-film-in-2009

yeah, i guess

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-06/production-i.g-to-add-eden-of-the-east-film-in-2009

yeah, i guess

The link itself just says they're making a movie as well, nothing about the movie completing the TV series.

Thanks for the link anyways.

fireheart
Fri, 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
gg ep 11 (http://btx.ath.cx/torrents/%5Bgg%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_11_%5BBF3AA75E%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Fri, 06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I have to say I didn't see this coming. Also, it was just a bit shaky. How exactly do a bunch of neets standing naked on a roof plan the best manner of defense to shoot down cruise missiles? It's not like the military itself couldn't have done the same thing.

I guess the king part was still the most surprising thing about this episode. Especially since Akira is now out of money, as well.

At least we got an answer to the memory wipe mystery and why Akira is so hated by the neets.

Archangel
Fri, 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
This has always been an wtf show... but this was one hell of an WTF ending O_o

Also, counter missiles? You needed 20.000 people to come up with that one?

David75
Fri, 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
This has always been an wtf show... but this was one hell of an WTF ending O_o

Also, counter missiles? You needed 20.000 people to come up with that one?

I'm really wondering if using a counter missile at such a low altitude isn't in fact worse in the real world.

I mean a missile usually explodes meters before actually hitting the target to maximise the destruction power, that's for buildings, air targets, ground targets, and ships. For bunkers and underground facilities, the rule is different.

I don't know if tomahawks detonate their explosives when hit by a missile, but if they do in reality, it would be a catastrophy to use the strategy we've seen in that episode.

The 91 Irak war taught us that under a certain altitude, counter missile were in fact worsening the effects by adding their own explosion the the scud's...

What Saki and Akira experienced were only high speed debris from a tomahawk, good for them, they'd be dead if the explosives had ignited...

Pandadice
Fri, 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
well.. I wasn't exactly impressed with the ending.. the whole thing never really seemed resolved or anything. If the theatrical movie isn't a finisher for the series, then there will definitely be another season (or, should be)

Archangel
Fri, 06-19-2009, 06:18 PM
There are still 2 movies ( that we know of ) so there's no way the ending would be anything remotely definitive

fireheart
Fri, 06-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Wait what, two movies?

Archangel
Fri, 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, check the ending

The King of Eden and Paradise lost

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
ARGH!! Cliffhanger till 28/11!!

I sure hope Shiratori takes a role in the movies. She's too interesting a character to leave on the sidelines, especially since she's the only trigger for some Akira-jealousy.

At first I thought maybe that guy who uses no money was the Supporter. He talked a lot for someone who just didn't care. But then we see Mr.Suspicious Cab Driver....

In any case though, I'm glad they're doing a movie-finish. There was no way everything would be wrapped up in 11 episodes.

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Personally, I felt it was a great way to pause the series. With a "and just like that... he became a prince"

And heck... he memory wiped himself at the end again, right? I was expecting for him to tell Saki: "who are you" and then the credits.

Its nice Itazu survived at the end.

And there are still several Selecao we haven't meet. Too bad the conclusion is on movies. It will be a full year before we can see them. But I can't wait for them either.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-19-2009, 08:47 PM
And there are still several Selecao we haven't meet. Too bad the conclusion is on movies. It will be a full year before we can see them. But I can't wait for them either.

Another year? 6month delay on the DVDs then I take it?

And heck... he memory wiped himself at the end again, right? I was expecting for him to tell Saki: "who are you" and then the credits.

It certainly suggests a memory wipe. Talking about memory wipe, we haven't been told what happened at the White House yet neither. This will be a long year.

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Well... anime movies usually take several months to be released on dvd... see how long the bleach and naruto movies take to be subbed for example.

Archangel
Tue, 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Is anyone gonna archive this?

Ive been rewatching it and without the mystery this is incredibly boring

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I archive everything.

kenren
Fri, 11-20-2009, 07:14 AM
finally managed to get my hands on this series. The first episode got me interested and I've been watching continuously until the end within 2 days. Too bad the identity of the supporter is not revealed. Hopefully the upcoming movies concludes everything!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-28-2010, 03:38 AM
[DB - gg] Higashi no Eden: Gekijouban I The King of Eden - Movie (http://www.dattebayo.com/t/emovie1.torrent)

Pandadice
Sun, 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
DB says it's 1080p. is it really?

no thanks. I'll look for a 720p or something...

Archangel
Sun, 03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Lol 3 Gb avi file...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-29-2010, 04:12 AM
DB says it's 1080p. is it really?

Yes. Really.

Lol 3 Gb avi file...

Why the lol?

David75
Mon, 03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Is it worth it?

I'm just wondering if those who watched it, enjoyed it.

Thanks

fireheart
Mon, 03-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Well since I watched all of the show so far I thought it was worth it. It's still an entertaining movie, the only problems I got is that it feels a bit like a set up for the next movie and because of that the ending is kinda meh as well for a movie at least.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
I really enjoyed it.

--------------------------------------

One thing I really liked was how different "personalities" of Juiz were starting to show themselves. Juiz seemed like she really liked Akira and Shiratori. No. 6 and No. 2 were treated with sarcasm and derision. She really hated No. 6. There were parts where Juiz was even flirting with Akira after he finally called her again, and she was audibly sad when she somehow had gotten the impression that Shiratori didn't trust her anymore.

It was interesting to see how she would go out of her way to help Akira and Shiratori, despite them being outside of the administration area, but she'd use it as an excuse to ignore No. 6's requests.

With No. 1's plan, it became clear why Juiz was acting a bit differently for each Seleção, each was an individual core. They probably all started out the same, but with continual exposure to each Seleção, combined with comparing knowledge from the other AI cores about their own Seleção, patterns start to emerge. They collectively gain a preference for who's requests get priority or are outright ignored. Maybe the core for No. 6 wished it worked for Akira...

As for No. 1, he always has been and remains a complete scumbag. Politician to the core, taking credit for everything Akira has done by using personal connections within the parliament. I hope that fucker burns. Juiz is very cold and straight to the point with him.

<3 Shiratori. She slowly became and will forevermore be my favorite.

RyougaZell
Sat, 09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone know if any of the subs that have come out for the 2nd movie are watchable? They all have been from unknown sources. And it doesn't seem as if DB is going to do a sub soon.

Examples:
Grohontun (http://grohotun.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/%5BGrohotun.com%5D_Eden_of_the_East_-_Paradise_Lost_%5BBDrip_720p_AC3_6ch_Engsub%5D.mkv .torrent)
FaNSuB (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=155812)
RoughSubs (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=154443)
Translatorgasm (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=154208)

RyougaZell
Sat, 10-02-2010, 10:54 AM
None????

Archangel
Sat, 10-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I guess that along with the fans the subbers also stopped giving a shit about Eden

DDBen
Sat, 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I watched Grohontun and it was very watchable and good quality. Occasionally some things shot by to fast but the translation was at least decent.

RyougaZell
Sun, 10-03-2010, 07:33 PM
I guess that along with the fans the subbers also stopped giving a shit about Eden

I don't understand the feeling.

Sure, nothing 'ubber awesome' happened in the 2nd movie, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I think people just got it over-hyped and forgot to see how it really worked.

Takizawa and his friends managed to overcome 'the game' and yet things mostly remained the same. That is because its the truth. Changing the world... changing the people... it just can't be done.

Whatever. I enjoyed it and thats enough for me.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-03-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't understand the feeling.

Sure, nothing 'ubber awesome' happened in the 2nd movie, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I think people just got it over-hyped and forgot to see how it really worked.

Takizawa and his friends managed to overcome 'the game' and yet things mostly remained the same. That is because its the truth. Changing the world... changing the people... it just can't be done.

Whatever. I enjoyed it and thats enough for me.

I don't feel like I've understood much of what this was all about. My unsatisfied feeling also comes from the fact that Saki's relationship was left as anything but perfect. They even went as far as to man up her wimpy admirer, but they still didn't pull the curtains on the main pair.

Kraco
Wed, 11-03-2010, 05:05 AM
After the second movie I felt like this this whole story managed to achieve nothing at all. Japan wasn't changed, the couple wasn't reunified. Some neets got a better life. Maybe that was worth something but if was a pretty grand operation with quantum computers, missiles, people dying, and all the other jazz just to get a limited bunch of neets a more social life.

It would have been a good ending if Saki and Akira had at least got together, even if the grander achievements had been left at this level. Personal happiness should always be a worthy goal.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM
After the second movie I felt like this this whole story managed to achieve nothing at all. Japan wasn't changed, the couple wasn't reunified. Some neets got a better life. Maybe that was worth something but if was a pretty grand operation with quantum computers, missiles, people dying, and all the other jazz just to get a limited bunch of neets a more social life.

Exactly.

They went through the elaborate process of eliminating each Selacio down to Mononobe and Akira (nobody else mattered by then anyway), and then the old man went "well that was interesting, thanks for participating", pulled the plug and ended his 120 billion yen game (excluding Juiz development costs).

I'm disappointed at the 2nd movie's conclusion, but I did like the 1st one for what it was. XI looked remarkably cuter when she's not chopping off penises.