PDA

View Full Version : Guin Saga

narutosharingan
Thu, 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4830/18guinsaga.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=18guinsaga.jpg)

ANN: The ancient kingdom of Parro has been invaded by the armies of Mongaul, and its king and queen have been slain. But the "twin pearls of Parro," the princess Rinda and the prince Remus, escape using a strange device hidden in the palace. Lost in the Forest of Rood, they are rescued from Mongaul soldiers by a strange leopard-headed man named Guin, who has no memories except for the word "Aurra."

Mistwalker Guin Saga - 01 (704x400 H​.264 AAC)​.mkv (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=21624)

Oniken
Thu, 04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Promising first episode. Surpised how quickly they were out of the castle and into the forest. Interesting that Guin talks about this mask, but it doesn't look like a mask to me. If it was wouldn't the mouth show his proper teeth and stuff? Looks like we'll learn more next ep.

animus
Fri, 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Looks great so far, amazing animation. It's so fluid.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
That was a pretty kick ass episode. Pacing was tight, people killed left, right and centre, while Guin pulls of some improvised hand-to-had ownage. (WWF anyone?)

My only complaint is the annoying little brother, who actually turned out to be a twin (making things worse, since he's the same age). Guess you need people like him to balance out the high degree of calmness and composure that's unnatural for one of Linda's age.

Contrary to how I felt when I watched the previews, I'm enjoying this more than Tears to Tiara so far.

Kraco
Sat, 04-11-2009, 07:53 AM
The Mongauls did a great service to Parro if Remus indeed was to be the next ruler. His rule would have been a most pitiful end to the city. Better die brightly in a blaze than under the rule of a completely useless loser.

This episode would have been kickass, despite the hilariously clumsy dialogue and script, if Remus had been killed by the random patrol. In a sense I can't but respect an author who can create a character so annoying for surely it takes above average skills, but in the end I'm not sure if it's really an attribute to admire.

If I can learn to tolerate the idiot brat, this might be a jolly good fairy tale. The action was badass, with people dying where they should die. The ghosts and demons of the forest were really cool, as well.

I think the mask might refer simply to a curse (like he said himself) as a thing that hides his real face, whether physically or metaphysically. We should not forget that these people view magic and monsters as normal things, so calling an animal head replacing the real head of a person a mask isn't really so odd.

narutosharingan
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Enjoyable first episode, the animation was terrific. What did you think of Mistwalker's subs? Animeyoshi has one out too now.

Kraco
Sat, 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I watched Animeyoshi and will stick to them, provided they keep up. It's a well-known group of solid quality.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Enjoyable first episode, the animation was terrific. What did you think of Mistwalker's subs? Animeyoshi has one out too now.

Mistwalker was fine.

digitalrurouni
Sat, 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Hmm interesting I will have to check this show out as well. I guess I will download both of them and decide which one to follow though I have heard of Animeyoshi and not Mistwalker.

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-13-2009, 12:12 AM
this is definitely a show I'll be following.

I had such a bad feeling about the twins that "the sister will do all the hard work and in the end the brother will get to be king because he's finally learned some kind of life lesson from all that she's done for him", but I was surprised when it appeared as a concrete backstory plot point.

i don't like the brother at all. how could I? but i think he fits the mold of "priveliged son of nobility sucks at survival when his castle and servants are all gone". Hopefully he'll get some development and improve as things go on, but i do feel we'll be in store for, by and large, a great deal of "christ that kid is annoying".

ruthless enemy soldiers (even the grunts seem to have their shit together), dream eaters, ghouls. God damn. Either that forest sucks way to hell or this show is going to be a brutal "who's who" of monsters and sorcery.

I guess the older brother will live after all, since he was in the ED/OP at the end. I thought it was incredibly awesome that he got shot like that after besting those two Mongol swordsmen. Also, hitting a guy so hard that his helmet sparks a fire has got to be one of the most badass things I've ever seen in an anime.

also, "keep the fire going or we'll die". "Bitch, it's raining, fire's out." "Oh well." Not a very good handling of the situation (thought they'd just said something about water demons?) I liked that the main battle plan went to hell so quickly and they needed to just run the fuck away to stay alive.
i happened to grab the AniYoshi one. good work all around.

Penner
Thu, 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM
any group releasing this in 720p hd? would be awesome ^^

Paulyboy
Thu, 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM
New episode tomorrow but man im so used to hd ever since I have been watching Casshern and Bleach. HD ALL THE WAY!

Edit: Hopefully throughout the series they go through a age development and Remus gets training, he really needs it (which I can see happening).

digitalrurouni
Thu, 04-16-2009, 10:15 PM
New episode tomorrow but man im so used to hd ever since I have been watching Casshern and Bleach. HD ALL THE WAY!

Edit: Hopefully throughout the series they go through a age development and Remus gets training, he really needs it (which I can see happening).

Bleach in HD? Do tell!

oyabun
Sun, 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice animation. I hope they keep this up till the end. Is it just me or the boy is just so annoying? And to think that the prophecy says that he will rule the country.

digitalrurouni
Sun, 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Nice animation. I hope they keep this up till the end. Is it just me or the boy is just so annoying? And to think that the prophecy says that he will rule the country.

Nope I at least think the boy is very annoying as well.

MFauli
Sun, 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Is that series really good? The pic in the op just looks so...generic. :-/

digitalrurouni
Sun, 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Its not bad. I like it so far. Somehow I am feeling a touch of Escaflowne in here....

minneyar
Mon, 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
For anybody who doesn't know, this is based on a series of novels also called "Guin Saga," which has been going since the late 1970's, making it the longest running fantasy serial ever. Also, Kentaro Miura, author of "Berserk," has gone on record as stating that Guin Saga was one of his biggest inspirations.

With that said, I haven't actually read the novels, but the first episode looks pretty good. I'm worried that it will fall into the "nothing ever really gets resolved" problem that many long-running serials have, but I'll keep watching until that becomes an issue.

digitalrurouni
Mon, 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
For anybody who doesn't know, this is based on a series of novels also called "Guin Saga," which has been going since the late 1970's, making it the longest running fantasy serial ever. Also, Kentaro Miura, author of "Berserk," has gone on record as stating that Guin Saga was one of his biggest inspirations.

With that said, I haven't actually read the novels, but the first episode looks pretty good. I'm worried that it will fall into the "nothing ever really gets resolved" problem that many long-running serials have, but I'll keep watching until that becomes an issue.

Yeah one of my biggest disappointments that falls into that category is when they stopped doing D-Gray Man. I always thought that anime was just spectacular!

Oniken
Mon, 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
You never know, they might bring back D.Gray-Man. They did hint at it with the end of the last episode showing what happens next. It could be the one anime that does long never ending stories correctly ie. going off air instead of butchering the series with filler or massive stretched out segmants and flashbacks. I guess Guin Saga hasn't got anything to worry about in that regard but do we know yet how many episodes there will be? Animes like Gantz and Claymore have ended prematurely with a filler ending so I hope this doesn't go that way.

Also wish one of the 10 million groups subbing Full Metal Alchemist would do this, as the raws for the first 3 episodes are out and so far we've seen episode 1 only :(

Oniken
Wed, 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Episode 2 from AnimeYoshi
http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_02_%5B9E6AF7BC%5D.mkv.torrent

and a patch
http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_02_patch.zip.torrent

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM
That was totally awesome!! Guin Saga's easily the most epic show this season, in both setting and ....well.....awesomeness (is there any other word to describe it?). The music plays no little part here. It builds and surges just when you need it, and you can't get much grander than an orchestral soundtrack with full-bodied brass and accompaniments.

I haven't seen as good a fight as Guin vs Ape that is actually realistic in a long while. Monster being a monster was no match skill-wise, but has a ton of muscle and a thick skull to boot. Guin aims almost every landing at its head as you would against such a behemoth (seems to be a vegetarian behemoth though), and realistically tires out and goes downhill once he actually gets hit. No bullshit "I am GUIIIIIIIN" powerup here, just toss me a sword and I'll show you epicness.

Little prince didn't get much to say this time round, so I was pleased about that. He's still my least likable character since he's his sister's weakness. I smell cowardly betrayal later on.

Uncalled for, but calling the Count perverted all the same? Love it!

Penner
Thu, 04-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Pretty much agree on everything Buffalobiian said, it was simply awesome.

oyabun
Thu, 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM
My god I wish Remus dies already. I guess that won't be happening soon with the prophecy about the twins and all... Rina >>>Remus in terms of being a royalty. And the betrayal thing would surely come. We could be saying goodbye to the perverted count next episode.

And Guin looks like King from Tekken which is cool.

Lucifus
Thu, 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Best show of the new season; with Hatsukoi Limited a close second for me.

Bill said all of my thoughts for me already.

Penner
Thu, 04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
And Guin looks like King from Tekken which is cool.

Yeah i thought of that too, and he even uses some remarkably similar wrestling-like moves that King does.

oyabun
Thu, 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
If we based it on animal similarity, Guin is much closer to Armor king being a leopard.

animus
Thu, 04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I had good expectations for this series listening to the previews, and I'm glad it was so awesome. Only wish they would sub it faster. Episode 3's been out.

Carnage
Thu, 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I am anticipating major awesome.

Oniken
Fri, 04-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Liking this alot so far. Was suprised by the fight with the Grey Ape, it was straight to the point no nonsense. I don't have a problem with the prince as much as most people seem to, I'm guessing once they pick up their group of allies to travel with, his whining might not be much of an issue anymore. But if your as young as he is and your perants just got killed and your out in the middle of nowhere with King from Tekken fighting monsters for you while armies are hunting you down then I think most of us would act in a similiar way.

Episode 03 from Gayako:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=60557

If anyone watches this release pls post on its quality, I wont be able to for a while :D

Kraco
Fri, 04-24-2009, 06:00 AM
then I think most of us would act in a similiar way.

Hell, no. I'd have rather killed myself than acted like that. Just look at the girl: She acts like a proper royal should. Why can't the boy act in a manner anything similar or equivalent to that? And his whining isn't even all of it: He was even willing to leave Guin behind to die once he had saved them from the first enemy patrol. The brat is as despicable as one can possibly be. He wouldn't need to be a copy of his sister, but he could, for example, act with false bravado and try too much without the skills to back it up. That would be far less annoying yet still render him no more useful than a kid can be.

I'm really looking forward to a scene where an enemy tells the brat the Mongauls did a great service to Parro by removing him from the line of succession.

Oniken
Fri, 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
That's easy to say but if your in his position, alone in a forrest with your sister, the last thing you'd be thinking of is to act impressive and confident. Not everyone has to be the same, there can be weak people too :P

Kraco
Fri, 04-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Not everyone has to be the same, there can be weak people too :P

Yes, there can, but it would be good if they weren't main characters. It's just so bloody annoying.

Oniken
Sat, 04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Things moving forward pretty fast in episode 3, they're already out of the castle and on the way to the next place :O Orro's whole character seemed pretty pointless other than to give Guin a reason to want to kill the Count and a place to stay over in the next village heh. Istavan is pretty interesting, no doubt he'll join up with Guin and co but not really sure what the king business is all about, maybe he's like Aragorn or something. And someone get Guin some clothes?

Gayako's release is decent btw

digitalrurouni
Sat, 04-25-2009, 12:43 AM
This show is slowly growing on me...I think I mentioned this before but does anyone else get a whiff of Escaflowne in this so far? :)

Penner
Sat, 04-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey, don't u be dissin the loincloth!

Shadow Skill
Sat, 04-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Episode 3 Wide screen?

Episode 2 sure was not. :(

If not, I'll wait for a group that released in WS format.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Episode 3 Wide screen?

Episode 2 sure was not. :(

If not, I'll wait for a group that released in WS format.

Huh? AniYoshi's Episode 2v2 (post patching) mightn't conform to the 16:9 WS ratio, but at 704x480 (~13.2 : 9), I'd still consider it "wide", certainly not letterbox, and definitely preferable over 704x400 (16:9).

Carnage
Sat, 04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Im actually curious as to how many chapters each episode eats up.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
[AniYoshi]_Guin_Saga_-_03_[EC47DBEC].mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_03_%5BEC47DBEC%5D.mkv.torrent)

------------------------------

-lol, Guin's Coolness +10 aura affects everything he does, from fighting to talking :p He even did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMOTWHnd9X0&feature=related?#t=3m10s

-The prince is still a wimp I guess, but now he's got an excuse. With such a strong sister with whom he's never parted with, it's much easier for a comfy prince to sit back and let her lead. A more proud character would not be outdone by their own sister, but this guy's got none of that, let alone "true" pride.

-Fire purifies me. Awesome, let's stick some around my room so I can accidentally lean into it.

-Crimson Mercenary looks like he could potentially be Rinda's love interest. Or a wanna-be love interest. There's still the age difference (Rinda's still technically a "child"), and Rinda's not the type to look at someone and go "he's hot", but the guy looks like he can be persistent if he tried. Talkative too.

Makes me wonder if Guin will end up with anything else other than a legendary military career.

Oniken
Fri, 05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
[AoShen] Episode 4

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=61762

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 06:46 AM
It's all about Leopard Heads these days. In a girl's eyes, there's no room for loli-mercenaries. :p

Oniken
Tue, 05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to try pull the leapard head off :D

animus
Tue, 05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
AniYoshi needs to release episode 4, and in general quicker.

From past experiences, I'm really hesitant to download the sub by AoShen since they've been pretty awful.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-06-2009, 03:42 AM
AniYoshi needs to release episode 4, and in general quicker.

From past experiences, I'm really hesitant to download the sub by AoShen since they've been pretty awful.

That is true, but I'm stuck with DDL sources for the next week or so. Since I found AoShen up, I'll have to take what i get ;)

Oniken
Wed, 05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Every one of the 4 episodes I've downloaded has been done by a different group heh

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Every one of the 4 episodes I've downloaded has been done by a different group heh

Which just proves Guin Saga's awesome, no matter who subs it :)

Kraco
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Forgetting Bill's naive beliefs, here are proper subs:

Episode 4 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_04_%5B9D44DF6B%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 5 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_05_%5B056E2037%5D.mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM
If Guin Saga got licensed and every single group dropped it save some shit-hole lamo subs, I'd watch it any day. That's just how Guin Saga is.

Now to replace everything with Yoshi...

Penner
Tue, 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
anyone got some info on how long this series might be?

From what i understand the Manga is like the longest EVER or some such, wich could mean this anime could go to epic lengths!

Edit: Oh, not really a "manga" but Fantasy Novel series.. my bad :P

Edit2: Bah i gotta learn to finish reading before i post, apparently there is some manga material of Guin Saga aswell -.-

Edit3: Son of a bitch i forgot to finish reading before posting again *selfslap*, just read on Wikipedia (reliable source ftw?) on the Guin Saga anime episode list they had, and they had 12 eps listed... if thats all then its pretty sad considering the epic length of the novel series...

Oniken
Tue, 05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe that's because they don't know all the episode titles too far ahead, I'd guess only the first bunch of titles would be released for TV guides and stuff to use. I've also read the wiki, and found this interesting: "Later volumes introduce elements of the yaoi genre" and how "Later books in the series have moved away from heroic fantasy into the Gay-Slash genre"

More Loincloth action anyone?

Kraco
Tue, 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Sandworms straight out of Dune... Worked pretty well, though. I was already wondering just what sort of skills does this mercenary fellow even possess to warrant being chased by the Mongauls, but I suppose he does have some.

Penner
Tue, 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM
the Gay-Slash genre

wtf? o.O

Oniken
Tue, 05-12-2009, 04:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

Penner
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh that stuff... reminds me of an episode of Supernatural not so long ago where they mentioned some fangroup called 'slashers' who wanted to see Sam and Dean.... "together" ;P

Offtopic aside, this show probably wont be all out gay-slash stuff since it would eliminate alot of the fanbase, especially the younger ones, and as u said only the later books was classed as gay-slash. ^^

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Mahou showtime indicates 26 weeks dedicated to it. Can't get more reliable than that.

http://www.mahou.org/Showtime

Ishtavan so reminded me of Strider's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strider_Hiryu) appearance in Marvel vs Capcom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs._Capcom).

I sure hope this wraps up before we get to yaoi, if there is any at all.

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Simply the best, ep 5 was amazing...

btw wiki says

"The anime is expected to adapt the first sixteen volumes of the light novels"
(if it wasn't mentioned yet)

next episode will surely bring action again, (Crimson Mercenary vs The Red Lion of Gohra)

Paulyboy
Thu, 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Wow I am loving this anime so far, I love the medieval theme more than anything, seems really adventorous. But for realz can't wait for the next ep, it really does have a good title for an action episode. I was tempted to read farther ahead but I said fuck it and just gonna wait, hope its a long series :(.

Carnage
Thu, 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Read farther ahead? From where? I dont know of any scans out.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM
AniYoshi - Episode 6 (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_06_%5B08C46A00%5D.mkv.torrent)

-----------------------
Nothing happened that was out of expectations, then again, this show hasn't been about blowing expectations, or wtf-plot twists. Except maybe that sorcerer. How he survived what others and his crystal ball couldn't was beyond me.

Truly a King character right there:

:): When does the battle start?
:cool:: When I say it does.
:): Oh Guin...../crush

:(:................(<- here be mercenary.)

My sympathy for that guy extends to this episode.

Penner
Thu, 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Decent ep

KitKat
Fri, 05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
I think the mercenary is my favourite character so far. Guin is awesome, but in a beyond-human way. He's a Hero of Legend, whereas the mercenary is more human and easier to identify with, but still awesome too! This story is pretty epic. I'm looking forward to the giant battle!

Oniken
Fri, 05-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm glad Guin got some clothes finally heh. He does look pretty cool with his Master Sword and Epona now.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Epona???????

Kraco
Fri, 05-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Epona was some ancient goddess (in this real world of ours). Not sure what Oniken thinks it has got to do with Guin.

Nevertheless I'm also happy Guin got some clothes finally. Of course he still looks like a son of a demon, but at least a civilized one now...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Nevertheless I'm also happy Guin got some clothes finally. Of course he still looks like a son of a demon, but at least a civilized one now...

Aye. Of all colours, he's wearing black. I would have said it was to avoid a clash with all those <coloured> Legions, but then I remembered the Black Mongols who assaulted the palace.

I think the mercenary is my favourite character so far. Guin is awesome, but in a beyond-human way. He's a Hero of Legend, whereas the mercenary is more human and easier to identify with, but still awesome too! This story is pretty epic. I'm looking forward to the giant battle!

I like the mercenary too. He's actually a bit ahead of Guin in my eyes because he's got my sympathy vote, as well as a sense of humour. I tend to root for side characters and underdogs, especially ones who lose out in the romance department.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-22-2009, 03:44 AM
Guin has an animal's head. I think he is severely losing out on the romance department. All he gets is admiration.

Oniken
Fri, 05-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Epona???????

The sword Guin got looked like the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda. The hero, Link, travels the world trying to complete whatever objective he has and always picks up the Master Sword and gains the ability to ride a horse called Epona.

narutosharingan
Fri, 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM
This definitely has a fantasy feel to it. Which makes it fun to watch, though I think the story is progressing quite fast. I do like the mercenary a lot, and it just seems as though he's going to get his way and become prince/king somehow.

Kraco
Sat, 05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
it just seems as though he's going to get his way and become prince/king somehow.

Doesn't look like Linda would be too thrilled to personally make him a king...

Still, dealing with the mercenary is excellent training for those two, should they ever make it back to their former status.

Kraco
Wed, 05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
The last word is Guin's:

Episode 7 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Guin_Saga_-_07_%5B70FE57D6%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - -

Edit: Damn, this episode was a distillation of badassery. Quite excellent tactics and surely they took everything out of their knowledge of the surroundings plus some psychological warfare. Guin and Astreas's "fight" was hilarious. It also tells something about Mercenary's level, because he had to fight seriously against Astreas whereas for Guin it wasn't a fight at all.

This series just keeps getting better and better.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM
"Rinda, Vavan!!" --> :eek: ROFL!!

Guin and Astreas's "fight" was hilarious. It also tells something about Mercenary's level, because he had to fight seriously against Astreas whereas for Guin it wasn't a fight at all.

This series just keeps getting better and better.

-No joke, and here I thought Istavan was actually quite skilled too. He still is, but doesn't compare against Guin. I still like him though, so he'd better redeem himself soon.

-Loved the signature heart thump. Too bad that guy's an old beast in his own right, something to do with his lineage if I remember correctly.

Kraco
Wed, 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
"Rinda, Vavan!!" --> :eek: ROFL!!

Don't scenes like that traditionally mean some indication of a pairing? Normally when a guy happens to see a girl naked or vice versa it's usually the ones meant to be together. Maybe this story is just messing around, remembering Istavan's joke from the previous ep, but who knows...

Penner
Wed, 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
The fight sequences in this is just spanktastic!

Oniken
Wed, 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
:(

Kaoru Kurimoto, esteemed authoress of the long running and highly popular fantasy novel series (and lately anime) Guin Saga, has passed away at the age of 56.

Her death is apparently the result of a long battle with cancer of the pancreas, so it is not entirely unexpected.

Her passing cuts short a long and illustrious writing career which has seen over a hundred novels published, many of which have been translated into English, and much critical acclaim.

Source (http://sankei.jp.msn.com/culture/books/090527/bks0905271113000-n1.htm)

Kraco
Wed, 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM
56 is too young an age to perish. Well, at least she probably had a chance to see the beginning of Guin animated. Let's hope she liked it as much as we do.

Penner
Wed, 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
R.I.P :(

Yukimura
Thu, 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow, GARtastic episode on multiple levels. Guin demolishing Astreas without batting an eyelash was indeed hilarious but I felt the way he also manhandled even the old man was even sweeter. After seeing that I don't want to count out Istvan as a fighter just yet. Comparing anyone else to Guin seems like comparing DBZ era anyone else (good) to Goku right about now. Maybe Istvan is no slouch but Guin is just such a powerhouse that he embarrass anyone he fights regardless of how good the are compared to a nameless grunt.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM
The old man wasn't manhandled. Guin was just a bit better, and that is usually enough to allow you to land a punch (not a sword attack, since that would be slower and visible). It's just that Guin's punch (palm thrust) has abnormal power that even the brutishly powerful old soldier was surprised.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM
When it comes to fights technique and style only matter to me for the winner, for the loser the result is all that counts. The old guy entered combat of his own volition and got disabled and disarmed without laying a scratch on Guin. In my book when you get disabled and disarmed and your opponent then lobs your weapon at the head of the person you are supposed to be protecting with your life and you couldn't even wound or wind him that qualifies as getting manhandled.

You can call it whatever you want but at the end of the day I don't see how anyone could make the argument that the old guy didn't utterly fail in his engagement with Guin. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying but the results of his defeat seem to speak for themselves.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Manhandling is a term that suggests the manner of defeat, and yet you say that you don't care about the manner but the results. The old guy failed, that is the result, but he fought well. He wasn't defeated without forcing Guin to draw his sword, and Guin obviously fought his best to defeat him (just look at his face).

What I am saying is simple. In fights of this level, sometimes, one move decides the winner. That doesn't mean that the skill level is drastically different, which is what manhandling implies.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-29-2009, 02:07 AM
I really didn't want to argue semantics on a word I just kind of threw out there in a best fit scenario but since the dictionary happens to be more neutral/on mine side why not. Manhandling means "to treat roughly" according to the first definition in Mirriam-Webster's dictionary. While this rather vague and subjective, making it a poor word choice on my part, I notice that it doesn't say anything about a difference in skill level between manhandler and manhandlee.

In any case, I can only guess at what the implications the word might have for anyone else but in your case shinta they don't seem to be quite the same as I had in mind when I said it. What I was originally trying to convey was my elation at the domination of Marius by Guin in what effectively amounts to a 'gar' contest in my head. My 'gardar' doesn't take into account just the outcome of battles between characters but also the behavior, actions, and demeanor of the characters leading up to and after the battles and how that all affects my feelings towards them. Guin and Marius' battle only made Marius' 'garness' look weaker relative to how it looked to me before while at the same time making Guin's look even stronger, in large part at Marius' expense. This disparity of Guin seeming to take lots of 'cool points' from Marius but Marius not seeming to take any 'cool points' from Guin at all is what evoked the 'manhandling' comment.

For more clarity I will list all the things that I saw which inspired to feel more 'gar' from Guin while at the same time less from Marius:

Guin fought Marius in melee combat without taking any blows. (flawless victories are cool, especially against strongly hyped characters)
Guin disarmed Marius (losing one's weapon just doesn't seem not cool, while taking someone's weapon seems very cool. The cooler the person losing the weapon seems the worse losing it hurts my opinion of them and increases my opinion of their disarmer)
Guin used Marius' weapon against the Princess causing her to scream like a frightened child.
Guin's actions induced the Princess to make a rash decisions against Marius' counsel.
The actions Guin induced as a result of battling Marius played into Guin's hands and contributed to the deaths of many of Marius' men.
Finally a purely speculative observation, the events stemming from the outcome and aftermath of Guin's battle with Marius may have had a negative psychological affect on the men that witnessed the battle, weakening his standing in their eyes to some degree.

There's no hard evidence of that last one of course and a case could certainly be made that professional soldiers are just as sharp eyed as shinta|hikari at analyzing melee combat and their morale wouldn't be affected by Guin's actions or the responses they elicited in the higher ups. Personally I prefer to think grunts have at least some trouble respecting commanders who show weakness, especially bad guy mooks.

And as an addendum I would like to reiterate that that I am not at all trained in combat or field strategy or military command and my opinions and judgments are merely those of a person seeking to be entertained. I certainly recognize that people more sensitive to the realities of combat or leadership or strategy might see things in a different light then I do but I am not one of those people. I would humbly ask that you take into account that I do not plan to judge anything on this show based on how realistically it depicts anything, unless I explicitly state so.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
I can't believe you made such a long post for this.

You could have just said " I can only guess at what the implications the word might have for anyone else but in your case shinta they don't seem to be quite the same as I had in mind when I said it" and that would have sufficed.

Still, now I understand your point more clearly. I really appreciate it when people know how to use qualifiers when they make their opinion. That's really rare, especially on the net.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-29-2009, 09:25 AM
The dictionary definition was certainly mild in nature. I think shinta and I both reckoned "manhandled" was along the lines of "owned".

PS: that "O" word gets thrown around too much in FPShooters.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
When the word 'gar' is in the lead sentence for a post of mine maybe you should just ignore any opinions or judgments contained therein (or just ignore the whole thing) as they will be based on how I felt watching the episode.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I sort of looked at the events separately. While I didn't see Guin's win over the old man as a huge pushover (possibly because the Red Lion got the worst of it), Guin did own the Mongols tactically, no doubt about that.

As for Istavan, from his comparatively limited action scenes, he seems to be the fastest and quickest of any warrior we've seen. The Sems might beat in in the "fast" category, but he's seen to be keeping up with the horse at least in the short run when he whipped the guy back in the second last episode.

Guin probably recognised that too, as he sent Istavan to the chase even though he himself knew the land better wasn't immediately preoccupied.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-29-2009, 01:43 PM
That reminds me, after Istvan put on that enemy uniform did we actually see anything of what he did in it or has that been left for a future ep?

Kraco
Fri, 05-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I think it'll be another of Guin's nice and nasty plans. Infiltration works better anyway when there's chaos around, and he certainly already created that with the slime monster. Perhaps amidst that tumult Istavan is supposed to feed false information to the enemy, or something.

Oniken
Sat, 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Should check out Frong's release if you guys are still waiting for 08, it's a decent release.

(1280x720) http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=68036
(960x540) http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=68019

Looks like Guin loses his pants again in the next ep :rolleyes:

Penner
Mon, 06-08-2009, 10:52 AM
What the fuck is going on with the subbers for this?
eps 8, 9 and 10 is out but the only subber is some dude named Frong... did everyone suddenly drop this?

Kraco
Mon, 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't think AniYoshi has dropped this. More likely they are experiencing a delay for one reason or another. Who knows, maybe we'll get a double release once they finally get their stuff together. Depending on which part of the process is causing the delay.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Delays aren't new for AYoshi. In fact, I've never followed any one of their subs were there weren't at least a few episodes per show that were moderately delayed.

animus
Fri, 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Episode 10 by frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=69497)

That was fucking badass. I had goosebumps.

The only patchy spots were all the shit that had Astreas in it. I hate that guy.

Penner
Fri, 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
wut, i get ep 10 from that link -.-

animus
Fri, 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah my bad. It's episode 10, edited the orignal post.

Oniken
Fri, 06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Awesome episode, I'm really getting into the music for this show.

Penner
Sat, 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Havent watched in a while so i just finished eps 8-9-10 in a row... EPIC!!

digitalrurouni
Sat, 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Ah I am debating if I should keep waiting for AniYoshis release. I still havent seen 5-6-7 yet and they are waiting for me to view them on my hard drive...I guess I will just keep waiting for 8-9-10 to get released by Aniyoshi and have a marathon run.

oyabun
Sun, 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Man Mongaul just got smashed. Quality over quantity as some would say.

Kraco
Mon, 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I gave up and watched this Frong subs. They were understandable although the stupid TL comments did nothing to make the episodes better. The dude isn't quite as funny as he thinks he is, but beggars can't be choosers, as they say...

Istavan was right about the monkey people: They haven't got too much wits what comes to warfare. As soon as Guin left and his instructions ran out, they became nothing but prey. Istavan fleeing was a funny scene, though. You totally knew he wouldn't go through with it, and so it was only amusing to watch him try to convince himself of the wisdom of leaving the twins behind. His comeback with the sun reflection trick was just like him, though.

Actually Istavan's arrival from the covert op job was also one of the nicest parts of the episode. Didn't take him too long at all to get a slap from Rinda... A nice contrast to how happy the twins were when he suddenly appeared. It's really good for the series Guin and Istavan treat the kids so differently.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-15-2009, 08:09 PM
The fight between Istavan and the Red Lion was hilarious. Istavan uses the sun's reflection to blind his enemy, and then calls him "unfair" or "cheap" (depending on how it was translated) when Red Lion uses his cape to escape. How biased and hypocritical can you get?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Man, if Guin wasn't so damn awesome, I'd hate him. Marus went down in a very undeserving fashion. Her grandfather? She sure bosses him round a bit now doesn't she?

I totally loved the part with Amnelis speaking her doubt about the surprise attack. The silence that came instead of Marus's usual advice voiced just how significant Marus was to the Mongul, both tactically and emotionally.

Seriously, who else thought the Lagon were going to get shot down? Seems like loin cloths and awesomeness come hand in hand. :p

The final battle was pure carnage in a hilarious manner. I couldn't stop laughing.

----------------------------------------
A bit of trivia for those who didn't know:

Guin Saga (グイン・サーガ, Guin Sāga?) is the title of a best-selling heroic fantasy novel series by the Japanese author Kaoru Kurimoto, in continuous publication since 1979. A record 100 volumes were originally planned,[1] but as of the author's death in May 2009 the total stands at 126 volumes, with 21 side-story novels.[2] She was working on the 130th volume of Guin Saga up until 23 May 2009, after which point she became too ill to write.[3] After the 100th book in the series was published in 2005, an event to celebrate this was held in Tokyo, with 600 attending.[4] Guin Saga is the longest continuing single-writer's work in the world with total circulation exceeding 28 million worldwide.

tnynyn
Sat, 06-20-2009, 02:08 PM
EP 11 by frong is out!

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=70902

Kraco
Sat, 06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I totally fail to see how that prince is in any way better than Istavan, other than probably in academics. He was completely passive during the action of sneaking into the city, unable to do anything to make matters better. Furthermore, he got arrested so easily, again unable to do anything at all. Unless this is all some masterful plan of his, I declare him a loser and Rinda a wishful idolizer. I'm beginning to think all the male nobles of Parro are good-for-nothings.

Not such an interesting episode all in all, although Guin's words to Amnelis surely turned out very sarcastically prophetic.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Indeed if the prince looks like a woman so much, he could at least disguise himself as one instead of some suspicious person under a cloak. In any sense, I believe by "better", Rinda means more refined, but I'll prefer Istovan any day. (what did I just say?)

I'm eager to find out exactly what came out of Istovan's mouth to get himself manhandled like that.

Oniken
Sat, 06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
uh oh, did you just say manhandle?

I quite liked the episode, but I didn't really get how Guin won that fight with Doudou by lifting him up.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I quite liked the episode, but I didn't really get how Guin won that fight with Doudou by lifting him up.

Guin got him into a completely powerless position, so the fight was over. He could have broken his back on his knee, walked to the edge of the ring and threw him out, tossed him up and do knock-out punch etc.

Not terribly different from forcing someone into submission on the ground with joint locks.

uh oh, did you just say manhandle?

:rolleyes:

Penner
Sun, 06-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah i found Guin's "victory" to be suspect aswell.. why the hell did Doudou suddenly stop doing anything when all Guin did was start to lift him up, and he did so pretty damn slow to boot, while it looked like Doudou just gave up and lost all movement in his body..

Also, i'm having a hard time believeing Amnelis is supposed to just have turned 18. i thought she was atleast in her mid to late 20's, but 18? i call bullcrap :P

Edit:

Also, Istovan is a little perv isnt he, on wikipedia it stated that she is 14 at the beginning (wich i assume we are still at), and Istavan is 20... way to go, pedoboy :P

Yukimura
Sun, 06-21-2009, 01:33 PM
As creepy as it may seem on the surface Istvan's advances towards Rinda seem fueled far more by the fact that he'd become royalty if he got her to marry him than any yearning he might have for her (currently) loli flesh. But at the same time just looking at her you can tell she's going to grow up to be pretty hot, can you really fault him for trying to lock her up early?

That prince did seem a lot more style than substance but at least he doesn't lose his cool in tough situations so maybe he's got some balls hidden somewhere. I have to agree with the TL note about the crazy chicks "If i can't have you I'll give you to your enemies" 'logic' though.

And also, did anyone else sense some homoeroticism when Doudou was just lying on top of Guin without moving for several seconds?

Oniken
Sun, 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM
And also, did anyone else sense some homoeroticism when Doudou was just lying on top of Guin without moving for several seconds?

Man I looked back at the episode to try find Doudou's name as I forgot it and I instantly went to this part. It's funny to watch again cause of the noises they are making and the looks they are getting from the crowd. It begins!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
As creepy as it may seem on the surface Istvan's advances towards Rinda seem fueled far more by the fact that he'd become royalty if he got her to marry him than any yearning he might have for her (currently) loli flesh. But at the same time just looking at her you can tell she's going to grow up to be pretty hot, can you really fault him for trying to lock her up early?

While gaining status no doubt plays a part, I think Istovan genuinely likes Rinda. He was attracted by her at first sight when he was asked to fight Guin in front of the Count. If you go by medieval standards women and men wed much earlier than the trend is today. You'd almost be considered old if you're 18 (female) and still a vir-, umm, unmarried.

In context, 14's in the safe zone.

You have to wonder how much of Istovan's (anyone got an official spelling for his name btw?) desire to be a king is really his own, and how much of it is just stirred up because of some prophecy. People were pretty damn superstitious in those times as well.

masamuneehs
Wed, 06-24-2009, 03:22 AM
caught up. this show is awesome, and Guin is such a badass it's almost ridiculous. some of the battles are absolutely awesome, and even the Frong subs are okay enough.

Marus... that sucks dude... jesus...

Doudou vs Guin is probably the worst batle i've seen yet in this show. it didn't make much sense at all, since Doudou still had both his arms and legs free when the fight was declared 'over'.

I saw absolutely no point to Naris returning to Crystal, except to get captured it seems... plot setup, most likely.

I'm starting to feel sorry for Asterius. at first he was just annoying, but now that he's like the only Mongaul guy left that I know about, and he is pretty admirable in his zealous affection...

this show is absolutely off the wall with the sexism. i thought some of the lines about dresses were LOL hilarious.

this show is totally right up my alley

Oniken
Sun, 06-28-2009, 09:59 PM
[frong] Guin Saga - 12 (960x540).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=72272)
[frong-subs and Zero-Raws] Guin Saga - 12 (720p).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=72281)

The OST is out also, check it out.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
The victory over Doudou was Guin's win because of his sheer display of power, managing to lift a giant much larger than he is. In more primitive times, such forms of strength contests were quite common.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-30-2009, 03:12 AM
- Someone needs to teach the Monguals how to torture. What the hell was that thing? It looked like a jockey whip. Bring out the cat-o-ninetails and vinegar.

- goodbye whiny prince, hello evil prince. Seriously, I don't know which I'd prefer.

-Contrary to gender stereotypes, Remus might actually be the Seer while Rinda's the ruler. I can certainly see how that would work. At least the nation doesn't collapse while emo-prince goes into his introverted paraplanes.

- Eyes of Seduction and Red Lion made me lol.

Kraco
Tue, 06-30-2009, 03:37 AM
I think this was good character development for the emo prince. Not that he could have become any worse, so any development would have been good. But that he might switch to the dark side was a nice surprise. I hope he does and also stays there. You can be full of fear and still kick ass in the dark side, but in the light side you need to be brave (which he will never be).

Penner
Tue, 06-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Man, thats some serious charisma overload from Naris lol, her chest actually HURT from the mere sight of his face, crazy :P

And the Red Lion.. as Chandler would say, "Could you BE more obsessive?"
Seriously, thats some crazy stalker and future serialkiller behaviour right there -.-

And as folks have already said, great that the whiny emoprince is leaning towards evil or possibly develop some evil/good personality split.
Also, he was surprisingly calm when the "mysterious man"'s face appeared..that shit would freak me the hell out, i mean thats no man, its a god damn zombie!

Finally, i just have to say that the ending theme, the part right after the latin "church-chanting" when the actual song starts... that sounds exactly like a japanese version Celine Dion, seriously.

Kraco
Tue, 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Finally, i just have to say that the ending theme, the part right after the latin "church-chanting" when the actual song starts... that sounds exactly like a japanese version Celine Dion, seriously.

I really wish the whole ED was in latin. It would be epic.

Oniken
Sun, 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice and early this week.

[frong]Guin Saga - 13 (960x540).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=73564)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-05-2009, 08:52 PM
No doubt about it now, evil prince is so much better to watch. I actually smiled every time he opened his mouth, which now makes Rinda sound like an idealistic little girl.

I was cheering for Naris to pull the trigger, too bad it ended all lovey dovey. Though the means was different, it was still an utter victory to him, so I can only guess he's aiming for something bigger than can be accomplished by killing a mere princess.

Archangel
Mon, 07-06-2009, 02:47 AM
So what subbers are you archiving and what subbers are you watching for the speed?

Kraco
Mon, 07-06-2009, 02:56 AM
No doubt about it now, evil prince is so much better to watch. I actually smiled every time he opened his mouth, which now makes Rinda sound like an idealistic little girl.

Damn right! He surely turned positively evil. Quite a flip, but considering the kind of stress they have been under and his delirious moment during the last episode, it's not actually even that unrealistic. As long as he doesn't gain any strange powers - unless they come from an external source.

I was cheering for Naris to pull the trigger, too bad it ended all lovey dovey. Though the means was different, it was still an utter victory to him, so I can only guess he's aiming for something bigger than can be accomplished by killing a mere princess.

Nah, it was already shown after their initial meeting that he immediately planned some use for the girl. Making her disappear wouldn't have achieved anything, really. Moreover, it might have cost him his own life or the relative freedom at the very least. This way, however, he gained the clear upper hand in the relationship between those two. Who knows what his plans are otherwise, but now he has nice chances of driving them forward.

So what subbers are you archiving and what subbers are you watching for the speed?

Aniyoshi for archiving (assuming they still continue), and frong for timely watching. Frong's subs are hardly archive material, with the stupid translator comments (I'm sure he considers them jokes himself) and everything.

oyabun
Mon, 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Atlast Remus is not a wuss anymore. Thank god even his voice has change. no more of that annoying tone.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-07-2009, 08:55 PM
[Nipponsei] Guin Saga Original Soundtrack [Nobuo Uematsu].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Guin%20Saga%20Original%20Soundtr ack%20%5BNobuo%20Uematsu%5D.zip.torrent)

Oniken
Tue, 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Yeh check out track 1.10 Decisive Battle and tell me that's not epic :D

Oniken
Sun, 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM
[frong] Guin Saga - 14 (960x540).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=74670)

Kraco
Mon, 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Normal grunts surely don't offer any challenge to Istavan, even if it takes Guin to deal with the enemy bosses. Btw, I wonder just how long it will take until the dude runs out of gods in whose name to swear... He has gone through quite a list already.

It was good to see he wasted no time when the opportunity offered itself and Rinda was unconscious...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM
I was thinking alongside [frong] this whole episode

"Was mouth to mouth necessary?" -> nothing less from our resourceful Istavan.

I don't remember his sword being so ornate before this episode though.

I've noticed it a few times before, but Naris is calling people his "Princess of Light" as well. Either that traveling fortune teller's been across the entire continent predicting lives like crazy, or it's just another fancy term for "my girl".

I was hoping it was a more prophetic term.

Rather than wondering about whether Istavan will run out of gods to swear with, will they ever explain all those supernatural beings that reveal themselves to Guin at the most convenient of times? That Akura batton saved his life last time, and a spirit boat came out of nowhere again.

Remus wins again.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh Dark Remus, how much higher can you climb before your inevitable fall back to being a lame lightsider.... I'm hoping they somehow get into a situation where Dark Remus ends up backhanding Rinda just so I can savor Dark Remus trashing the image of his weaker self even more.

It was nice to see Astriasstalker-kun being his old obsessed self once again and his new companion seems like he'll help egg Astrias on in his quest for more lulz. But on the subject of Amnelis....lol. I like how she has clearly never been in a relationship, nor doesn't seem to understand much about the power dynamics. It's so cute watching her trying to act tough and in control, completely oblivious to how it just makes her look more weak and insecure.

Kraco
Tue, 07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
It was nice to see Astriasstalker-kun being his old obsessed self once again and his new companion seems like he'll help egg Astrias on in his quest for more lulz.

What exactly does Naris have in mind for Astrias? That sorcerer should be working for Naris, although it's not yet certain Naris knows stalker-kun entered the town. But once he learns, it's guaranteed he will use the stupid, obsessed fellow for something clandestine that won't end well for anybody but Naris himself.

Kraco
Mon, 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Princess of Light and Prince of Darkness:

Episode 15 - Frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=75683)

- - - - -

Istavan certainly wasted no time and made as much progress as possible with Rinda while Guin was away. It's hard to shine while the badass Leopard man is around, so it's totally understandable. Still, it surprised me slightly. He didn't look like a man to make such vows. I hope he can keep it, considering his past acts of trying to save his own skin first and foremost. But then again, maybe he genuinely wants to change that. Maybe he even genuinely already loves Rinda, which would certainly make him honest.

Remus keeps getting better and better. It's amazing how a character I wanted to die in every episode in the beginning now is suddenly so promising and I want to know just what he's plotting behind those malicious eyes. From how he looks at Rinda, even she won't be safe when he finally gets a chance to advance his clandestine plans. I hope. He might try to get rid of Istavan at some point, because unlike Guin, who has his own past to unravel and who oft looks at bigger things, the former mercenary might from now on stick so close to Rinda that Remus might be unable to put her under his control.

Oniken
Mon, 07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a feeling Naris still isn't in love with Amnelis, even after he told that guy he is. There's just some kind of scheme going on, I think, which will probably end up with Amnelis being hurt. Can't help but feel sorry for Amnelis if that is the case but atleast stalker dude will pick her up off her feet :D

This is only scheduled for 26 episodes at the moment, I really hope they continue with more :/

Kraco
Mon, 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I doubt Naris can love anyone but himself. I expected him to talk to the old man that way because he knew they were being listened to by spies or because he needs some sort of a (genuine looking) reaction from the man or other Parro citizens, for whatever plan of his to work. It could simply be to buy Amnelis's trust when the fooled princess begins to notice Parro natives might not anymore like Naris as much. I can't yet see Naris considering "ruling" Mongaul occupied Parro happily as a prince consort.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Naris is certainly planning something. Something he dares not put into words, even to his most trusted ones.

I loved the reaction everyone gives Remus when he speaks, and the pauses too. It's a funny mix of "Are you alright?" and "wtf?" Some light into what Remus is plotting would be good though, since right now he's all bark but no bite. Not that you can do all that much on a deserted island however.

Mage punching made me lol.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Everything Naris says is so fake, I am very surprised anyone in the show believes him. He should pull it of like Schneizel, who everyone knew was going to turn evil in the end but doubted it every step of the way.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-27-2009, 05:31 AM
[frong] Guin Saga - 16 (960x540).mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=77149)

-----------------------------------------

Damn straight it was strange for Guin and Remus to walk together. Recalling Guin's surprised/astonished face from the previous episode, it feels as if he's suddenly discovered that the twin with a ruler's material is actually Remus and not Rinda. That's been prophesied before, but I guess he couldn't do much while Remus was a wuss until recently. And now he's teaching him to read people's character and all.

If it's Istovan+Rinda vs Guin+Remus, there's no doubt who'd win.

I actually expected Rinda to harbour more romantic feelings towards Guin, considering how he just "died" and came back. Seems like she's totally accepted Istovan for now though.

Watching Miail go to his room and cry over a forced marriage was funny. She He should be a girl.

edit: whoops. Freudian slip

Kraco
Mon, 08-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't yet count on Guin fighting for either of the two against the other. He's a knight of both of them, after all. While Guin has so far been fighting against Mongauls and others for the benefit of various peoples, it's not like it was anything personal for him. If Remus indeed could really help him sort out his own identity, he could choose Remus, but that's far from certain at this point. Even with an evil attitude and boldness, Remus is still in no position to help someone like Guin.

What comes to Istavan and Rinda, I'm sort of sorry Istavan hasn't turned out more than this so far. When he decided to become Rinda's knight, he seemed to become even less.

Kraco
Tue, 08-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Freudian Guin:

Episode 17 - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=78514)

November 11
Tue, 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Those teleporting mages are giving Aldo Naris a serious advantage against any enemy. Mongoul army does not seem to have any wizardry expertise at all.

Kraco
Tue, 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah. However, I'm not really surprised Parro does have such an advantage. I've been getting the kind of an impression during the show Parro is no backwater town in general but one of the bigger nations, even if it is a city nation. However, they didn't seem to have much in the way of pure military strength so it's obvious they have something else to even the odds. It seems to be a coven of nefarious mages and ancient machinery.

Death13a
Tue, 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
But those mages don't kill people themselves. I wonder is it just not to put themselves in danger or they just can't kill people and use other for dirty work?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-11-2009, 01:47 AM
frong - 18 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=79667)

---------------------------------

Number of comments are directly proportional to Guin's awesomeness it seems. And it's pretty hard being awesome when you're only in the OP/ED, even for Guin. There really isn't much to comment about for the last two episodes though. Everything plays into Naris's hand so well it's as if he's the evil one, despite him being the victim of this whole invasion.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
The Return of Guin

frong - 19 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=80978)

Archangel
Tue, 08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I've downloaded the first episode twice already and deleted it twice

I just can't get into it, the whole tiger man thing just can't keep me interested

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM

I just can't get into it, the whole tiger man thing just can't keep me interested

I humbly ask you to watch past at least episode 2 before your verdict. The more the better, but at least episode 2, since that's where the first real "awesome" scene comes it.

I still thought the helmet-lights-fire punch was pretty sick though.

animus
Tue, 08-18-2009, 10:35 PM

I don't know how you didn't get into it. The instant Guin first fought I was hooked.

The recent episodes however, have started to go slash fiction and lovey dovey politics, and it's been quite a drag.

Kraco
Wed, 08-19-2009, 12:53 AM
The show has changed a bit in the very recent episodes, that's true enough. Not much focus is on Guin anymore. I suppose it was partly to be expected if the assumption was the twins would try to get their problems solved and would grow up a bit. After all, Parro and Mongauls as such aren't Guin's personal problems. That's why it would be good if Guin sought out his own agendas like Istavan just did. Or actually he doesn't need to seek out anything because he already has them (why he has such a head and his general history otherwise), he should just start to pursue them.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm hoping there'll be more Guin Saga to come after this season. With a 26 episode airing schedule, I can see them finishing up the reclaiming of Parros, but no further. With that out of the way, and the twins settling back into their own country, it would give Guin the time and resources to pursue his own interests, which Kraco has stated above.

They have to get away from male-looking women and female-looking men though. They're disturbingly confusing until you hear them speak. Even then... :S

Kraco
Tue, 08-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Crimson fortune:

Episode 20 - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=82118)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-25-2009, 03:40 AM
That was some irony huh? Miria was too minor a character for me to feel anything, but it just reminds me that these are the days when you probably weren't tried in court unless you're someone of importance.

If anything, that message should be written by the fat Greek fellow. All Istovan needs is a good opportunity (especially timing and the person to approach) regarding the betrayal and he could make himself a hero.

I agree with Frong's comments at the end. An assassin who missed a preoccupied target should really rethink is career path.

Kraco
Tue, 08-25-2009, 09:37 AM
When Istavan gave that medal to Miria, I was already thinking what a stupid thing. You wouldn't normally give such an enemy identification to a civilian of another side. It's not altogether unintentional ill fortune he's dealing around for sure.

Things are surely building up nicely now, even if the assassin could offer surprisingly weak resistance. Maybe the rest will attack in bigger groups.

Carnage
Tue, 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
I cant tell if he gave it to her on purpose to get rid of it....because it was kind of obvious that would have happened.....Istovan must be smarter than that.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I cant tell if he gave it to her on purpose to get rid of it....because it was kind of obvious that would have happened.....Istovan must be smarter than that.

I don't know either. On one hand, it could be a good way to get rid of someone who knows too much, but leaving the Mongual pendant in his tracks would just lead them right to him. It was funny too, when he saw the soldiers chasing after him, that he didn't comment on the girl's safety at all.

He said he didn't expect the soldiers to come so soon. If they had come later, they mightn't have seen him actually leaving. They would also have been less sure of his motives had he not left the pendant with the girl.

Assuming he doesn't want to be chased, I think this was just a huge slip-up by Istovan. He seems like a crafty fellow, but not exactly smart. Especially Naris-smart.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
He isn't smart at all. Practically every character who isn't intentionally made dumb by the author is smarter than Istovan.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM
[Nipponsei] Guin Saga ED Single - Saga ~ This is my road [Kanon].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Guin%20Saga%20ED%20Single%20-%20Saga%20~%20This%20is%20my%20road%20%5BKanon%5D. zip.torrent)

Kraco
Fri, 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Like a crafty fellow:

Episode 21 - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=84088)

Penner
Fri, 09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Link works now ^_^

Kraco
Fri, 09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed now.

Karthron was such a tool. But I suppose that explains why Regia could love him; if he had been some manipulative Mongaul crook, I doubt he could have captured anybody's heart. However, he was a somewhat naive fool, who perhaps even wanted to do the right thing even if it was driven by a will to appear to be a hero.

I have a feeling Amnelis won't be happy when she hears Naris is alive (and has taken the city back)...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I certainly didn't think Regia would cry for Kathron. I swear she loved Naris. Then again, who doesn't. Kathron wasn't a unlikable character to watch, but wasn't quite bright enough to be considered a hero.

It feels that the last episodes, being on a grander scale, has too much of a scattered focus. It lets us in on what's happening everywhere at once, so we're jumping between Naris' campaign, Remus's journey and waiting for those presence-announcing assassins to make another move on Guin. Together, it just doesn't make as engaging an episode as the pre-war ones.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I actually like the broad focus. It is a fresh departure from the usual anime fare, and has intriguing character development enveloped in politics to boot. While I hate real life politics, fictional politics is great.

oyabun
Sat, 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=85381

Great crossbow squadron, They need better helmets for better aiming.lol

Kraco
Sat, 09-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah, they were almost as good as stormtroopers.

I'm wondering about Istavan choice to serve under Naris. In the end Naris is his greatest rival in more ways than one. Not only for Rinda's hand but also because Naris clearly intends to keep Parro all for himself. So, rather than trying to rise high in his service, I'm thinking Istavan must only be studying the man. He could also be looking for a way to be able to offer Parro to Rinda once the dust settles. Considering how he's fortunate himself yet everybody around him gains misfortune, he might certainly be slaying two birds with one stone by sticking close to Naris.

Another thing is if Naris's impressive intelligence network can sort out Istavan's identity and how close he was to the prince and princess of Parro. And what he would do if he did find that out.

Yukimura
Sat, 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't think Istovan is clever enough to think though such complicated political implications. My take on it is that he knows Rinda doesn't have feelings for Naris (yet anyway) and figures if he can prove himself well in Naris' service and gain some prestige in Parros then everything will work out for him somehow as it'll be okay for him and Rinda to hook up.

Kraco
Sat, 09-12-2009, 12:07 PM
That would certainly be the simplest answer, but also quite disappointing seeing how he left Rinda behind and set out to become a prince by his own right. I was expecting him to somehow gain an army and play a crusial role in a significant battle. However, if he's nothing but Naris' stooge when Rinda arrives, I can't see how that would convince anybody. He would need to become someone as important as Naris himself.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Yes im kinda thinking why he chose Aldo as his master. I mean he is Rinda's fiance. Im sure there will be trouble for the future. He just made things complicated.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-13-2009, 03:32 AM
"Mongaul is a young country. Their army is indeed strong, but their command lineage is weak they can't aim for shit."

Parro must be the envy of every other country's customs department.

Istovan's position right now isn't necessarily bad. If Naris is superstitious enough a guy, and Istovan's star shines as good as they say, he'll be learning from the best of the best. And learning's something he's got to do if he ever wants to get a foothold on the political front. The first thing he must learn is to be as good an actor as Naris.

The sorcerer squadron was pretty cool. It reminded me of how they tested mages by punching them :p.

Kraco
Wed, 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Guin!!!!!!!!11111

Episode 23 - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=87246)
Episode 23 HD - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=87255)

- - - - - - - - -

What's the difference between Istovan and Guin?

Scene 1 (Rinda and Istovan):
Istovan: I need to go to seek my destiny.
Rinda: I see. But didn't you promise to be my knight?
Istovan: Yes! I will be back one day and...
Rinda: Oh, I guess it can't be helped. Take care.

Scene 2 (Rinda and Guin):
Guin: I need to go, Rinda, Remus.
Rinda: Oh no! Please, you can't go, Guin!
Guin: There is a possibility I can find out my true identity.
Rinda: But, Guin, you can't leave us! We have always been together!
Guin: I need to go to seek my destiny.
Rinda: Isn't there anything at all that could make you stay?
Guin: One must follow his star.
Rinda: Promise me you will come back, Guin.
Guin: If Jarn so dictates, we will meet again.
Rinda: Then I will pray to Jarn to make it happen.
Guin: Good bye. [Rides away]
Rinda: Guin!!!!!!!111111

Poor Istovan. Really a man of misfortune. And not so remarkable wits. I really did expect he had joined Naris for a reason but now it turned out he did so simply because he had no other ideas.

I do want a sword like he has, though... Cutting a rock the size of a bear cleanly in half.

oyabun
Wed, 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Up to this point I still don't get why Istovan went to Naris in the first place. He knows about Naris and Rinda's engagement. I think he didn't gained anything rather than hearing the hard truth from Naris about his plans for Rinda and being Naris boy toy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Well he went to Naris because he thought a position was something worth exchanging his information for. He didn't like what he got, so now he's running away.

I like the guy, but he's so wishy washy it's annoying. It's funny, seeing Naris comparing himself with Istovan. He obviously wasn't accounting for brains.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-05-2009, 04:07 AM
frong - episode 24 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=89120)

Kraco
Mon, 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
With more pixels:

Episode 24 HD - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=89259)

- - - - - - - -

The fall of Mongaul certainly happened quickly. But then again, if they were going to fall anyway, why stretch it? It was somewhat funny how it in the end Naris didn't really need to do any bloody work himself and the Parro army should be largely at full strength for any future trouble. When the show began the Mongauls seemed really strong but in the end it looks like it was just the shaky alliances that made them, or any kingdom there, strong. Lose an alliance and fall down quickly. Of course it's much more interesting this way.

Still waiting to see how Istovan will try to find glory. This one war is finished and Rinda will soon be in Parro. He will need to test his fortune in an another calamity. Unless Naris and Remus decide to start a civil war...

digitalrurouni
Mon, 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Seemed awfully easy for such a large and powerful kingdom to just fall apart didnt it in the latest episode?

Kraco
Tue, 10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Like I speculated in my post, it probably really wasn't that large in the end. Parro also seems to be only one megacity, so it's not a stretch to assume most of the kingdoms of that world are like that: Very limited. They are only made strong if they form alliances. Mongauls probably tried to change that for themselves by conquering other cities but in the end they reached too far.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I laughed when the preview showed Istovan lying around now that everything's over. He accomplished nothing in the end.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-18-2009, 06:00 PM
frong - episode 25 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91571)

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2009, 01:03 AM
With more pixels to better evaluate Guin's badassery:

Episode 25 HD - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=91591)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Finally, some Guin action that involves some..well, action!

I can't see where this is all going however. The preview suggests they're just going to wrap things up and tell us there's more to this saga.

edit: talking about what the preview suggests, what's gotten into Istovan's head this time? What can I do to become king? Kill Guin!!

It's not like he has no reason to. Seriously, Rinda's all hots for Guin. She's probably forgotten Istovan already. But there must be another option other than killing Guin that's got a higher success rate. (and survival rate).

Maybe his intention is to accompany Guin instead, but sticking with Aldo Naris, the better choice, didn't get him anywhere neither.

Yukimura
Mon, 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM
It's a shame Guin Saga has to end and Sacred Blacksmith gets to go on for 13-26 more episodes. It will certainly suck to have a deep involved story like this just stop with no real conclusion or even meaningful climax.

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Istovan certainly got nowhere at all. I was completely surprised to see him having gone back to Guin & co. All the time he spent away was more or less wasted. The same could be said of Guin but at least he only came back because he knew the assassin dude would target the twins. I doubt Istovan will show himself to the twins but joining Guin isn't either what I thought he would be doing. Even though following Leopardo might certainly lead him to more interesting and meaningful places than his own nonexistent imagination...

A pity to see this end already. This was a show with style, unlike the generic thirteen in a dozen shows like Sacred Blacksmith.

oyabun
Fri, 10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Aw I thought it was 52 episodes of Guin. Too bad, it was going on the right track too. Also how ironic for them to meet up in the end after all.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Why 56? Isn't it usually 50-52 depending on the series?

@Yuki and Kraco - I cannot agree more. I would add 11 eyes to Sacred Blacksmith among the list of shows that should not have been created in favor of Guin getting more airtime.

Kraco
Sun, 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
The last sword swing:

Episode 26 Final - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=97460) | 720p - frong (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=97507)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Finally, the long-overdue closing episode. I guess I shouldn't complain since [frong] was the only one who stuck with it to the end. Seriously how is it that Sacred Blacksmith gets 5 groups following it while only one man struggles over the finish line for Guin Saga?

Anyway....

It's funny. Even though Istovan is clearly not cut to be a worthy adversary for Guin, in every way it still had the "final showdown" feel to it. A large part of that is due to the feeling of inevitability. Since his introduction, Istovan's been outshone by Guin in every way except escaping from prison and knowing the towns. Rinda never cried for him like she did for Guin, and his attempts to make himself a king turn sour every time while Guin knocks everything down left,right and center without even trying. All that bottling up has got to burst sometime, and burst it did.

It's not as if Istovan's improved over the course of this series at all, but his (arrogant) expressions and actions seem justified in a manly, frustrated way; finding no way out for himself other than to confront the very thing that keeps overshadowing him. Pulling it off the wrong way could have turned it into just another jealous kid throwing a tantrum, but it didn't happen. I wonder if those words at the end were the rest of his prophecy that he never tells anyone.

(I had to laugh when Guin declared Istovan's ambitions as (mere) dreams)

One thing where Guin Saga's lost points is that sometimes things happen in a manner that is best described as random.

Akura in the salt pillars, why it resides within him, the ship of light that sweeps him away, assassins that take orders from a lizard,.....etc etc.

I understand that this is all meant to introduce us to an entirely new, breathtaking world that spans over 100 books, but expressing so many seemingly meaningless(at this point) head-scratches whose dots don't actually join, given the plot, it does leave us a bit hanging.

I would have added Remus's random mage-exposure/personality-change to the list too, if they never flashed that skeletal face on screen one final time.

In general, I found the plot lost its momentum halfway through when they started focusing more on the political stuff, introducing characters from all over the world and moving away from Guin's journey a bit. Guess that can't be helped neither since they wanted to expand our view of such a large world in relatively little time.

Even so, the pros greatly outweight any cons. The animation's been good when it counts. Guin is as badass as ever with his falcon punch.

The soundtrack is a pure delight to listen to, thanks to Nobuo Uematsu. Dramatic, enchanting, brilliant. ~This is my Road couldn't have been a better ending for this.

Definitely one of my top fantasy series.

Kraco
Mon, 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Pulling it off the wrong way could have turned it into just another jealous kid throwing a tantrum...

I did give me that kind of an impression. The dude has the strongest ambition to be a king among kings but that's where his ambition starts and ends. He has no actual idea what it is to be a king or how one becomes a king. He's truly trapped in his destiny. I'd say he would never have become a king even if the series had continued. He might have become some sort of a leader with luck and his son might have become a king but not Istovan himself.

I guess Guin did tell him as much, in his own way. Too bad Istovan wasn't in any state to listen to anything but his own whining. The man truly fell towards the end of the series.

KitKat
Wed, 11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to check in and say that I'm finally getting around to finishing this series. Up to episode 16 now. And I have to say that probably the most fun in this show is watching it in a group and keeping up a running commentary on all of the characters. This is a show that works well with an interactive MST3K format of viewing. So far, the most hilarious line, delivered deadpan by the court official dude, has been, "but you have made the princess of the enemy a prisoner of love." Ahahahahahahaha

...ahem.... Anyhow, I like how the pacing has really picked up. Though, I think they've introduced a few too many characters than they can handle, now that there are so many plot threads in different places. It's rather dizzying. I'm looking forward to watching another installment of this next week.

Sidnne
Sat, 03-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Ok, so I just finished watching the Guin Saga anime, and it really left the story hanging.

I knew it was based on books so I did some research and found that the story has been going since 1979 and is still on-going. Guin Saga holds the record for the longest continuing single-writer's work in the world. There are currently 134 volumes, and the anime only covered the first 16 volumes. Furthermore, only the first 5 volumes of Guin Saga were ever released in English.

I've searched around the internet and found nothing, so I know this is a longshot, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find the remaining volumes of Guin Saga translated in English?? There is so much more to this story and I'd love to be able to read all of the volumes to see what happens after the anime leaves off.