PDA

View Full Version : Confiker Strikes

itadakimasu
Wed, 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Register.com is completely down ( hosts one of my companies web sites )

I have no idea who else has been hit today. Y2k !!!! ZOMG!

Animeniax
Wed, 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Microsoft.com was running slow as sh*t this morning. Wonder if it was a DoS attack from confiker?

Carnage
Wed, 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I hope to god I didn't contract this shit.

Animeniax
Wed, 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Easiest check is to go to symantec or mcafee's website, as confiker blocks access to these sites. Or just run windows update. If any of these fail, you probably have confiker. Not sure which variant though.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Conficker worm free baby! It's kind of too bad it seems I've caught something else that's fucking around with my wireless adapter settings.

Animeniax
Wed, 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM
According to security sites, if you have MS updates regularly applying, you're safe from confiker. Some patch or other a couple months ago closed the security holes that confiker exploits.

Nadouku
Thu, 04-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Guess I'll be careful on what I surf up. I don't know how much Anti-Virus Guard can hold up.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM
There was a Yahoo! featured article on this a few days ago. I think they said the easiest (and possibly the most reliable) way to check for a Conflicker infection was to reboot in safe-mode. Conflicker supposedly blocks that, but googling Symantec's website seems just as easy.

It's already 8:55pm April 2nd here, so if something was supposed to hit, we'll probably know about it (if it's automated to occur local time).

On a slightly different topic, is there any real way to find out if your computer is being used as part of the Storm Botnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_botnet)?

Assertn
Thu, 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Easiest check is to go to symantec or mcafee's website, as confiker blocks access to these sites. Or just run windows update. If any of these fail, you probably have confiker. Not sure which variant though.
Easiest check is to see if you are running on a Mac. Second easiest check is to do that thing you mentioned.

Animeniax
Thu, 04-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Easiest check is to see if you are running on a Mac. Second easiest check is to do that thing you mentioned.
Yes, the smoke from the melting CPU will be a good sign that your computing device is not functioning and therefore not in danger of confiker infection.

itadakimasu
Thu, 04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
idk if its just my internet but so many sites seem to be slow, and then i've had alot of sites fail to open.

Register.com also got hit again today w\ another massive ddos attack, probably confiker related.