PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Anime Spring 2009

Munsu
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
http://metanorn.kokidokom.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/spring2009ver2.jpg
http://www.fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_SPRING_2009

Here are the ones I'm interested in at the moment, even though I've fallen behind on all my animes of the last season:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom
Cross Game
Shangri-La
Eden of the East
Guin Saga
Sengoku Basara
Gallian Chronicles
Basquash!
Hayate no Gotoku 2
Queen's Blade
Natsu no Arashi
Tears of Tiara
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Spice and Wolf II
Asura Cryin`
Slap Up Party: Arad Senki

MFauli
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Besides Dragon Ball Kai, there´s nothing that genuinely interests me at the moment.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
I had a quick look, and it looks like an awesome season. I'd better hurry up with upgrading my internet plan! :D

I'll post my preferences up later when I've had a good look at them (and finished my reports).

At first glance, FMA and S&W 2 instantly make the list.

David75
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
My starting Bleach from ep 1 (as a noob, since I never watched it) will allow me to be on time with Spice and Wolf II, I hope.

Kraco
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Based on the description Tears to Tiara sounds exactly like my kind of series. I watched a PV earlier, and Requiem for a Phantom looked somewhat interesting as well.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
OMFG. Spice and Wolf... Life has meaning again.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
OMG, Detective Conan vs Lupin the 3rd!

FMA, Valkyria Chronicle and Cross Games are the only must watch series for me at the moment. I'll probably pick up Shangri-la and Requiem of the Phantom also.

animus
Mon, 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Hopefully Guin Saga will be a good medieval-fantasy anime in the vein of Utawarerumono or Scrapped Princess.

FMA definitely, Valkyria Chronicles (Played the game),

Basquash! might be interesting I guess? Maybe it's just me trying to look for another break away over the top spirital successor to Gurren Lagann. If anything it might end up like a Eyeshield 21.

07-Ghost might be interesting. Though, I read a bit of the manga scanlations and kinda got bored of it, maybe the rest of the story will be good though. Kinda feels like a D-Grayman.

Pandora Hearts might be good, and maybe Natsu no Arashi would be good for a spring slice of life that sounds to be interesting.

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Full Metal Alchemist
Shangri La
Valkyria Chronicles (despite the game still being unopened in my shelf)
Tears to Tiara
Asura Cryin
Spice and Wolf II
Tsubasa Shunraki

I hope I have time to see them all... if not I'll have to drop several.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Rainbow Nisha is my "this description seems right up my alley" one
I mean. Really. Prison life. Gritty, nasty, you have to be smart or you're fucked.
plus the guy who writes it looks like he's been in prison
(but ANN doesn't allow hotlinking, so instead...)

Senjou no Valkyrie (i'm going to spell it right, even if Japan can't)

Guin Saga because it's been awhile since I had a good "ye olde adventure piece" (totally with you animus)
edit - holy shit, Nobuo Uematsu is doing work on the music for this one? FUCK YOUR FANBOY SOCKS!!
(but the rest of the brain guys behind it don't really seem to impress me with their track records...

and, of course, Fullmetal Alchemist

Basquash! looks like one of those "it's so bad that it'll be good" candidates.
Pandora Hearts sounds like a another "I know, let's take the same old crap we dish out in every shounen adventure and try to make it trendy by theming it after.. *selects random literary classic* ... Alice in Wonderland!"

also, can I get some love for "Jewel Pets" ?

Xelbair
Mon, 03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Valkyria chronicles gonna be great(just as the game is)
My list:
-Valkyria Chronicles
-FMA
-Sengoku Basara
-Queens Blade
-Meybe Tears of Tiara(game was decent - but well...plot was not it strong point...)
-Queens Blade
-Natsu no Arashi
-07 Ghost
-Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no shichinin
-Hanasekeru
-meybe Guin Saga

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
http://basquash.com/movie/www/pv081210.asx
click the link that says "Play Movie" and prepare to be amazed!!!!!

Basquash is certainly working hard to make my list of "i did it for the lulz" watches

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I've got a pretty light schedule this season, surprisingly little interests me.

Queen's Blade
Tears to Tiara
K-ON
Saki (mahjong club? Definitely worth a try)
Eden of the East (maybe)
Shangri-La (maybe)

I didn't think Spice and Wolf II was for this upcoming season, but rather the summer one.

Lucifus
Mon, 03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Natsu no Arashi is an absolute must. Nuff said.

Pandadice
Mon, 03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
i'm planning to check out

Fullmetal remake (of course)
Shangri-la (been looking forward to that since last fall)
K-ON
Eden of the East
Saki
Valkyria Chronicles
Konnichiwa Anne

though i wasn't at first, i watched the pv for Basquash, and now i'm definitely gonna check that one out.

Queens Blade
Asura Cryin
definitely Phantom
Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
definitely, DEFINITELY Lupin vs Conan (can't wait!)
Yurumates
Dogs
Denpa Teki na Kanojo

and the more I look at
Cross Game and
Hatsukoi Gentei

the more interesting they look.
and I think that's it.

man, I'm looking forward to this spring season so much. unlike the Winter where i wasn't really anticipating much, so it was more of a watch a little of it all and see what i like.

and here's the v3 of the picture/list
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5228/1236469464221.jpg

salmonman78
Mon, 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
wow, i really hope they hurry up and get dsl out in my area...i cant do crap with satellite. FMA looks good plus gonna pick a couple other randoms.

need to get a new hdd so i can get some more shows...

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-23-2009, 10:59 PM
A video with most of the series and a few more. Sadly some are just still shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0FQ6rmc0LA

Board of Command
Mon, 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Full Metal Alchemist
Shangri-La
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Hayate
Natsu no Arashi
Spice and Wolf OVA

These sound pretty interesting.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Must watch:

FMA
Tsubasa Shunraiki
Spice & Wolf II
Valkyria Chronicles

Looking Good:

07-Ghost
Guin Saga
Tears to Tiara
Hatsukoi Gentei
Pandora Hearts
Phantom
Shangri-La
Natsu no Arashi (only because SHAFT is doing it)

I think Ryll's right about Spice and Wolf 2 being aired in summer, since it's listed as an OVA on the chart.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-24-2009, 04:37 AM
But there will be an OVA on April (30 I think), and that is more than enough reason to celebrate.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-24-2009, 06:05 AM
But there will be an OVA on April (30 I think), and that is more than enough reason to celebrate.

Agreed.:D

Sapphire
Tue, 03-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Thank goodness for these seasonly lists with pictures! Whoever makes them is freaking awesome. New/remade Dragonball eh? If they cut off 100% of the inaction sequences then I will watch lol

Definately watching:
Fullmetal Alchemist - Been a long time since I've seen the first series (so I don't remember it well), I despised the movie but I definitely want to see how the new series has changed.. ANN only sees 13 eps so far.. I wonder how long the series will be?
Eden of the East - I could tell from a mile away that it was from the same person as Honey and Clover.. a masterpiece. So there's no way I'm missing this one!
Shangri-La - Gunna be on CrunchyRoll, and the guy who wrote Noein will have a hand in it.. sounds interesting!
Basquash - The pic looks reminiscent of TTGL~ I'll give it a try!
07-Ghost - I think I just like badass looking bishounen
Tears to Tiara - Looks RPGish and perhaps interesting. Tower of Druaga has shown me how it could be awesome, while Ragnarok and .hack// have shown me the potential train wrecks..
Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin - Troubled kids? Tekkon-kikireet has taught me that anime about troubled kids can be awesome, if not disturbing

Skeptical:
Gallian Chronicles - Looks like it could be surprisingly good or expectantly bad
K-ON!
Pandora hearts - There's a loli!! I hate lolis... And I hate tsundere-ey lolis even more..
Asura Cryin' - ef... Kanon.. where hasn't this been done?

I guess I should watch Spice and Wolf (but fox ears are a turn off.. can barely handle teeth)... and Denpa teki na kanojo looks interesting..

Yukimura
Tue, 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
The worst part about these things is when a series you really wanted to see doesn't get subbed.

I'm actively looking forward to:
Sengoku Basara
FMA Remake
DBZ Remake
Queens Blade
Spice and Wolf (though I want more than an OVA)

I'm interested in checking out:
Ters to Tiera (Scrapped Princess 2?)
Hatsukoi Gentai
Valkyrie Chronicles
K-On - KyotoAni hasn't let me down yet but dammit I want my Haruhi S2!
Shangri-La - Gonzo is Gonzo

And maybe one or two eps of:
Natsu no Arashi
Asura Cryin'

Kraco
Tue, 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
The worst part about these things is when a series you really wanted to see doesn't get subbed.

It seems that of late there have been plenty of groups of dubious quality, increasing the chances of any (non-hyped) show getting subbed. Though sometimes those subs might have been better never released.

MFauli
Tue, 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM
It seems that of late there have been plenty of groups of dubious quality, increasing the chances of any (non-hyped) show getting subbed. Though sometimes those subs might have been better never released.

Then why is NOONE subbing Inazuma Eleven?!? :-/

Imagine noone had ever seen Tsubasa and Wakabayashi, because noone bothered to sub/dub it :-(

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Tears to Tiara (Scrapped Princess 2?)

K-On - KyotoAni hasn't let me down yet but dammit I want my Haruhi S2!

Shangri-La - Gonzo is Gonzo
Tears to Tiara: I didn't think of that description before, but it only makes me more excited. I was think more of Utawarerumono 2 or maybe something like Shina Dark (which is getting its own anime somewhere down the line). It might not have Mogudan's artwork, but it does have the character designer from Utawarerumono :D

KyoAni takes none of the blame for delays in Haruhi S2. That's all studio Kadokawa, who apparently hate their fans.

Gonzo is Gonzo, but Range Murata's (Last Exile, Blue Sub #6, SOLTY) character design is unmistakable.

narutosharingan
Sat, 03-28-2009, 12:37 AM

I quite agree.

Yes:

FMA

Maybe:

Guin Saga
Queens Blade
Tears to Tiara

07-Ghost
K-ON!
DBZ Kai
Pandora Hearts
Basquash!
Saki
Natsu no Arashi
Asura Cryin'
Valkryia Chronicles
Hatsukoi Gentei
Shangri-La

Basically I have no idea. I just need something good, as winter was really dull.

Archangel
Sat, 03-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Who's subbing Dragon Ball Kai?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Who's subbing Dragon Ball Kai?

See first post, second link.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
A bit more detailed descriptions from RandomC.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/03/30/spring-2009-preview/

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the link Ryl. I always like seeing what the guys at Random Curiosity have to say.

I'll probably skip Valkyria Chronicles... I want to play the game first. I've just had not had the time to do so.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Well, I don't have a PS3 and it doesn't look like I'm going to any time soon, so I think in light of the promos I'll add it on.

Revised list:
K-ON - definite.
Queen's Blade - Because apparently Ikkitousen isn't perverted enough.
Tears to Tiara - Loved Utawawerumono, and this practically guarantees a harem?
Eden of the East - definite.
Shangri-La - worth a try, but the secrecy about it does not illicit confidence.
Basquash! - There really isn't a choice, is there? Macross meets Gurren meets E7?
Valkyria - see above
Saki - after watching that promo? definite.
Hatsukoi Limited - Didn't recognize it before. I've heard the manga is so-so (it's no Ichigo 100% apparently), but with the cast and the look of the animation, I'll definitely give it a shot.

As for FMA, I'm thinking about it, but I didn't bother to read the manga after the first one ended. I'm struggling to find a reason to care. I'll probably break down and watch it just for the hell of it. I'm really curious how Misaki from White Album will sound as Winry. I really liked Megumi Toyoguchi the first time around.

animus
Mon, 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
After watching the promo for Guin Saga, I'm definitely gonna watch that. It has great animation and production values, feels like it's gonna be epic (the novels span like 125 volumes, holy crap), and soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu. Sounds great.

Eden of the East is another definite. It's just so unique.

narutosharingan
Mon, 03-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Lets see, after checking out RC...I still don't know. I'll be checking out various first episodes to see what I like.

What I'm leaning towards:

FMA: for sure

Likely:

Guin Saga
Queens Blade
Tears to Tiara
Basquash!
Hatsukoi Limited

Maybe:

K-ON!
Pandora Hearts
Saki
Asura Cryin'
Cross Game
Eden of the East

Kraco
Tue, 03-31-2009, 01:01 AM
I'll probably break down and watch it just for the hell of it. I'm really curious how Misaki from White Album will sound as Winry. I really liked Megumi Toyoguchi the first time around.

Heh. Kikuko Inoue will be voicing Lust. I think that might be worth hearing out as well.

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
First 16 second Promo of Shangri-La

http://www.anime-shangri-la.jp/pv.html

Animation looks superb. Im definitely seeing this one.

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Do forgive double post.

Shangri-La Opening Video Complete
http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2009/03/31/shangri-la-opening-tv-spot-online/

Nadouku
Tue, 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Interesting... I might end up taking all of these upcoming animes at once and see whether or not I like them. It'll basically be a test run, in short. But... Shangri-La looks good.

Board of Command
Mon, 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
We're almost two weeks into April now, so...

Every season you get a few low-key series that catch you off guard. We've had Code Geass topping Death Note in the past. This time around, Basquash gets my nod for the top series of the season.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-13-2009, 01:22 AM
I haven't gotten around to Basquash yet. So far, I look forward to watching K-ON! the most every week. If you're talking about stuff that caught you off-guard, I'd put in Cross Game with K-ON,. I didn't think I'd like either of them this much from the preview.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-13-2009, 03:22 AM
@BOC - What... so you were serious about liking Basquash? I thought it was absolute sarcasm. I personally thought it was good, until I saw the main character screaming and raging like a fucking idiot while being beaten by a girl in the second episode.

Top series
Cross Game. - I read the manga, and I generally never watch an anime if I already know the story (or I will check it out and hate it), but I can honestly say that the anime rivals or even exceeds its manga counterpart here. Heart-wrenching ED song too.

K-ON. - Solid slice-of-life and comedy. Great characters. Awesome ED sequence. Sometimes, simple is best.

Potentially rising to the top after a few more episodes
Eden of the East. - Interesting setting, with loads of potential. A serious story that seems to be thought out, so it just needs time to develop (I hope, at least).

Valkyria Chronicles. - Huge potential both in story and characters, as well as the battle situations and tactics that may be introduced later on as the show progresses.

Most disappointing
FMA 2009 - but only because of the unrealistic expectations about it.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-13-2009, 07:15 AM
@BOC - What... so you were serious about liking Basquash? I thought it was absolute sarcasm. I personally thought it was good, until I saw the main character screaming and raging like a fucking idiot while being beaten by a girl in the second episode.

Top series
Cross Game. - I read the manga, and I generally never watch an anime if I already know the story (or I will check it out and hate it), but I can honestly say that the anime rivals or even exceeds its manga counterpart here. Heart-wrenching ED song too.

K-ON. - Solid slice-of-life and comedy. Great characters. Awesome ED sequence. Sometimes, simple is best.

Potentially rising to the top after a few more episodes
Eden of the East. - Interesting setting, with loads of potential. A serious story that seems to be thought out, so it just needs time to develop (I hope, at least).

Valkyria Chronicles. - Huge potential both in story and characters, as well as the battle situations and tactics that may be introduced later on as the show progresses.

Most disappointing
FMA 2009 - but only because of the unrealistic expectations about it.
I figure my top so far would be something like

Valkyria Chronicles
Eden of the East
and
K-ON!

while potentially raising would be

Cross Game
and
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

though Charady's Daily Joke is off to a pretty splendid start and has a lot of potential too.

biggest let down is definitely Shangri-la.

apart from Charady, I've yet to watch a second episode of anything. I am getting on it though and I'm downloading a ton of second episodes now :\

Board of Command
Mon, 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I haven't gotten to the second episode yet.

Archangel
Sat, 05-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Anything "shoneny" from this new batch of anime?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Anything "shoneny" from this new batch of anime?

-Full Metal Alchemist
-Sengoku BASARA
- Basquash!
-Queens Blade

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-02-2009, 06:42 AM
How shoneny are we talking?

If you forget about the Full Metal Alchemist Remake or the Dragonball Z Remastering, Basquash! is probably the shonen flagship title this season. Sports, all kinds of merchandise, mecha, and boobies.

Guin Saga may also fit the bill, in the Fist of the North Star/Conan the Barbarian vein.

Cross Game is a must if you want sports-romance shonen. This is one of the pinnacles of the micro-genre of sports romance shonen.

Of course, if you want to shift into seinen, and go with infinite badassery, look no further than Sengoku Basara.

...and Queen's Blade if you are a pervert who doesn't care that the story is lame and the lead character is an annoying waste of good negative space (with notable exception that she is voiced by Ayako Kawasumi).

Of course, if you're not watching Eden of the East...you shouldn't be watching any anime this season.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-02-2009, 07:00 AM
...and Queen's Blade if you are a pervert who doesn't care that the story is lame and the lead character is an annoying waste of good negative space (with notable exception that she is voiced by Ayako Kawasumi).

It's getting better.

....well, the second episode was the best, so it's sort of "downhill" right now, but still.....:o

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Guin Saga is probably the coolest series of them all in this season...

Haven't seen such a good fantasy anime in a while (well actually I've never seen such a good one in general)
it reminds me a bit of the older animes and cartoons (simply because the main character looks like a cool He-Man version ^^) and the animation is so great, I'm totally in love with it so far.
Even though I hate the kid-prince in that show *grrr*