PDA

View Full Version : Game: FEAR 2

Animeniax
Thu, 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get this game to install, so I can't say how much fun it is or is not until steam finishes doing whatever bullshit it wants to do before it will let me play. I even tried the trick of activating with steam and then going offline to install, but that doesn't work, so I'm still stuck waiting on steam to download the entire game even though the f*cking disk is in the dvd drive. I f*cking hate steam.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
What ever happened to internet restrictions? But yeah, that sucks.

Animeniax
Thu, 02-19-2009, 10:38 PM
We have ways around restrictions. It's slow, but it works. It isn't available at the office, so all the access restrictions are in place there.

After 3 hours it finally finished installing from DVD. I got to play for 15 minutes before bed time. Looks pretty good, very spooky feeling to it. I think they went with more of a horror story than the first game. The h.u.d. helmet screen kind of makes me queasy so I'll have to get used to that.

Animeniax
Fri, 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow, the hud really makes my eyes bug out and makes me nauseous almost immediately. Not sure why they decided to add the helmet head screen. I played for 5 minutes before I quit. This kind of sucks.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1520/37244955yk0.th.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=37244955yk0.jpg)

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't like the F.E.A.R.2 graphics in general... they look "cheap" if you compare it to other modern shooters.

the "ghost effects" or whatever they are called are pretty cool but the rest looks a bit like the HL-2's source engine...

what I don't like at all is the movement of enemy soldiers.. they move so awkward and clumsy :/
I've only watched videos of it yet, but they hinder me to buy it so far.

Not sure why they decided to add the helmet head screen

hmm, it doesn't look so bad and it's not that big of a difference to the normal HUD you have in ego-shooters, in fact it's minimized

Animeniax
Fri, 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
The graphics aren't that impressive, but my heart's pounding too much to really notice. It's pretty freakin' scary playing this game alone in the dark, more than in the first game. On normal mode, the bad guys are pretty easy to kill, almost too easy.

I'm happy to say that I'm getting past the queasiness from the stupid helmet hud, which turns out to be a pair of glasses you're wearing. The trick is to focus enough at the middle of the screen so the frame of the hud blurs and gets lost in your peripheral vision. I was able to play 20 solid minutes without wanting to yak.

hmm, it doesn't look so bad and it's not that big of a difference to the normal HUD you have in ego-shooters, in fact it's minimizedYou know I figured from that screenshot that some might not see what the fuss was about, but I promise it's much worse when you're moving with that frame around your field of view.

Abdula
Fri, 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
It's pretty freakin' scary playing this game alone in the dark, more than in the first game.
A friend recommended this game to me and I wasn't so sure about getting it but that is all I needed to hear:D

Xelbair
Fri, 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM
If it's at least as good as first part - I'll play it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Lol, I might just get this, but I'm still stuck in the first game :D

Lucifus
Sat, 02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Haha, too scared to finish it are you? xD

Back at 16 when I first ventured into fear, I was afraid to go to the bathroom because of this damn game. Love FEAR.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Nah, like physically stuck. I can't find the enemies, and I don't know where to go :o

Animeniax
Sun, 02-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Check out the walkthroughs available on sites like gamespot.com if you need a hint about where to go next.

I'm getting further into the game, it is very spooky, but on normal difficulty it's a little too easy. Also as someone mentioned, the lack of lean out really takes away from the tactical shooting/cover aspect.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I'll go check them out some time, if I haven't uninstalled the game already.

How well have they designed the maps this time? I remember from the last game, they made sure shadows would flicker on walls and stuff when you're going around corners, taking away some element of surprise. That made it difficult for the assaulters and easier for campers, but I kind of liked that aspect of the game.

Agreed that no leaning would be such a drag, especially how it was so prominent an aspect in FEAR 1. You don't have time to use it in multiplayer, but in single player it does add a little depth to your standard point and shoot regime.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Forgot to mention I finished this game a few weeks ago. The final fight is messed up and some might find it inappropriate. Definitely R rated for sexually suggestive theme. Before anyone runs out to get this game for that final stage, it's a cross between necrophilia and whatever sex with a ghost is called.