View Full Version : Afro Samurai: Resurrection

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.thoranime.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Afro2/720/afro_logo.jpg

* Afro Samurai Resurrection (2009) [720p,BluRay,x264] - THORA
* Video length: 100 min - 3.7 gb
* Video: 1280x720, 23.976 fps, x264, 4600 kbps
* Audio: English AC3 5.1, 640 kbps
* Torrent: here (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=19032)

Afro Samurai Summary: It is said that the one who becomes No.1 will rule the world, but only the No.2 is allowed to fight the No.1. The No.2, the Afro Samurai, travels the road looking for revenge on the man who murdered his father when he was just a boy - No.1.

Afro Samurai: Resurrection: Late one night, Afro is suddenly attacked by Jinno. However, he is unable to protect himself, and Jinno drags him nearby to his father's grave, where a woman named Sio awaits. She proceeds to take the Number One headband that he possesses, as well as the remains of his dead father's skull. Before leaving, she tells him to seek and obtain the Number Two headband, if he wants the right to take back his father's remains. With that, Afro must once again embark on a path of violence in order to let his father rest in peace once again.
.................................................. ...............................-ANN

---------
This is a sequel that's best enjoyed after watching the original (5?) Afro Samurai episodes, right?

Edit: Which has been all mashed up to make the Afro Samurai Movie (2007) (http://www.thoranime.org/?p=14)?

Munsu
Fri, 01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I haven't finished the first series/movie yet. How does the movie compare to the series? I mean, are there deleted scenes? Are scenes cut? How about censorship?

Well if any of you have an idea, let me know.

Yukimura
Sat, 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Finished watching Resurrection a few hours ago. While I thought it was quite cool overall I felt it got kind of weak in most of its non-action elements in the second half. The reasons given for Sio's hatred weren't fleshed out enough for me to really empathize with her. I think this was in part due to the identity given to Sio potentially clashing with the canonical events that were flashed back to in the first series/season. But I think a bigger part was just plain lack of attention to things like character development and storytelling. That said, I did like the overall message that you pretty much figure out from just the first half.

@Bud "The "Director's Cut" contains an additional 15 minutes of footage, and is even gorier than the broadcast version on Spike TV." Amazon.com Review. (http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Samurai-Directors-Samuel-Jackson/dp/B000LP5FWC)

I can attest to the DVD version being more bloody but I don't recall exactly what scenes were extended, though I believe one of them was the ending. Even if it wasn't longer I'd go with the move for the simple reason that the TV rips not only weren't BluRay but were kinda lame even for regular TV rips. They spent plenty of money to make the show look good, you might as well try to get as much of that out of it as you can.

Oniken
Sat, 01-31-2009, 02:32 AM
High quality animation, low quality plot. Something to watch when you can't be bothered to think. One of those shows where the battles move so fast sometimes you wonder wth just happened.

Samual L Jackson was annoying too :/

Munsu
Sat, 01-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Finished watching Resurrection a few hours ago. While I thought it was quite cool overall I felt it got kind of weak in most of its non-action elements in the second half. The reasons given for Sio's hatred weren't fleshed out enough for me to really empathize with her. I think this was in part due to the identity given to Sio potentially clashing with the canonical events that were flashed back to in the first series/season. But I think a bigger part was just plain lack of attention to things like character development and storytelling. That said, I did like the overall message that you pretty much figure out from just the first half.

@Bud "The "Director's Cut" contains an additional 15 minutes of footage, and is even gorier than the broadcast version on Spike TV." Amazon.com Review. (http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Samurai-Directors-Samuel-Jackson/dp/B000LP5FWC)

I can attest to the DVD version being more bloody but I don't recall exactly what scenes were extended, though I believe one of them was the ending. Even if it wasn't longer I'd go with the move for the simple reason that the TV rips not only weren't BluRay but were kinda lame even for regular TV rips. They spent plenty of money to make the show look good, you might as well try to get as much of that out of it as you can.
Thanks... I was just worried about the movie version cutting some scenes, as it's quite usual for them to do this, like with Top wo Nerae!.

Pandadice
Tue, 02-03-2009, 03:00 AM
i liked the first season, and i'm planning on picking this up today. supposed to be out now, and i'm hoping i'll be able to just pick it up from wal-mart or something.