PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I picked up Windows 7 Beta the other day, and it's supposed to pretty much be the full release. Has anyone tried it out? I've spent all day disabling and enabling my internet connection because I keep losing it like every 3 minutes. I think everything is okay now though.

I probably won't ever use an operating system to its full capacity, but from what I hear it addresses a lot of Vista's security vulnerabilities, and it's considerably easier to maneuver.

Archangel
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I've seen it up online too but haven't tried it

Does it devour memory like vista? How does the desktop look?

Raven
Sat, 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I haven't tried it on my own PC yet, only had a go on my friend's laptop. It seems to be a lot faster in general than Vista, and so far I've only heard good things. I'll be canceling my plans to buy Vista Home Premium and wait and see what happens with 7. I haven't actually owned an OS since the old 3.11 days. Usually I get them from work.

David75
Sat, 01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I've installed it on my main desktop, an old laptop and a five year old cheap shuttle for my wife.

It works fine on the two desktops, but is fairly slow on the old laptop having only 512mb of ram and a very old and sloooow fujitsy drive.

My wife's desktop is the most interresting: old shuttle celeron 2.6 socket 478 upgraded to P4HT with 2GB of ram and an old WD black 80GB IDE.
It runs well there with aero activated and only one aero option disabled for smoothness.

I remarked some glitches, but no big trouble at all, the interface is fine even if not sleek enough. It's a very good SP3 for vista if you ask me. But M$ needs to get rid of that name very quickly.

If you try it, just be sure to get the drivers for you ethernet card/chipset on a usb drive just in case the install doesn't recognize it. Because once you access the internet, the windows update driver search works fairly well.

itadakimasu
Sun, 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I just tried it in a virtual machine so far... and my first impression is that it makes vista look like an extended beta test.

Xelbair
Sun, 01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
after seeing some benchmarks i will still stick with XP, unless 7 performance in games will be better than in vista.(its nearly 1% slower than vista - its not much, but compared with xp it really is.)

Board of Command
Mon, 01-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I tried it the first day it leaked to torrents back in December. It's very polished for a beta. I think this will be a very successful product for Microsoft.

David75
Mon, 01-26-2009, 04:13 AM
I tried it the first day it leaked to torrents back in December. It's very polished for a beta. I think this will be a very successful product for Microsoft.

I wish they had an integrated blu-ray support, but I guess anti-trust policies would strike back...

itadakimasu
Mon, 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I think if they had shipped vista with UAC at the lowest level, alot more people would have accepted vista. The contant UAC windows asking are you sure you want to do that ! are simply too much for any computer illiterate to handle, which happened because of all the oems putting vista on their new machines.

Board of Command
Mon, 01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
UAC should have been an option that users were informed about when they boot up Vista for the first time and create the account. The ideal solution would have been:

Do you want to enable User Access Control? (yes/no)
User Access Control (UAC) will protect your computer by alerting you whenever system settings are being accessed or modified. You may also enable or disable this feature at any time in the User Accounts settings in Control Panel.

That would enlighten the millions of retards out there who think UAC cannot be disabled and thus make it the #1 thing to bitch about.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM
UAC should have been an option that users were informed about when they boot up Vista for the first time and create the account. The ideal solution would have been:

Do you want to enable User Access Control? (yes/no)
User Access Control (UAC) will protect your computer by alerting you whenever system settings are being accessed or modified. You may also enable or disable this feature at any time in the User Accounts settings in Control Panel.

That would enlighten the millions of retards out there who think UAC cannot be disabled and thus make it the #1 thing to bitch about.

About that, what have they done with it being implemented in Windows 7? You'd think they'd be able to keep it on but find an acceptable level of interference. Did people not pick it up in the Vista beta? Or did they decide to leave it out of testing and throw it in when it released?

David75
Tue, 01-27-2009, 01:09 AM
7 UAC sometimes kicks in in weird ways, but really is not that intrusive, and does not shows as much as in Vista SP1 (the latter being a lot less than vista first release)

the UAC is becoming a non topic almost, they just have to take care of some glitches when you have rights the 2 or 3 times you access the same folder, and the 4th the UAC kicks in without you knowing why... but it doesn't happen a lot.

To give you an idea of a good this system is for a mere beta, my wife who can't speak or read any english actually uses it as her system... and has no complaints at all yet despite that fact and she has been using it for over a week.

Board of Command
Tue, 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
About that, what have they done with it being implemented in Windows 7? You'd think they'd be able to keep it on but find an acceptable level of interference. Did people not pick it up in the Vista beta? Or did they decide to leave it out of testing and throw it in when it released?
Windows 7 has four different levels of UAC, ranging from Disabled to Vista. I think it's set on the third highest level by default.