PDA

View Full Version : TV: Lie to Me

Munsu
Thu, 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6465/ltmspanpi2.jpg

Lie to Me is a new show that started yesterday on FOX, and it'll be airing on Wednesdays @ 10pm EST. It stars Tim Roth (The Incredible Hulk) as an expert of body language capable of detecting when people are lying.

Just saw the first episode, and I thought it was pretty good... fun. I think fans of The Mentalist should enjoy this.

From writer Samuel Baum ("The Evidence") and the executive producers of 24 and "Arrested Development" comes LIE TO ME, a drama series inspired by a true story about a deception expert who can read the human face, body and voice to expose the truth in criminal cases and investigations.

When you itch your chin, wring your hands, scratch your nose or increase your swallowing, DR. CAL LEIGHTMAN knows you're lying. And he doesn't just think so - he knows so. Whether it be family, friends or complete strangers - he knows when they're holding something back. More accurate than any polygraph test, he is a human lie detector.

Dr. Cal Leightman heads up a private agency contracted by the FBI, local police, law firms, corporations and private individuals when they've hit a roadblock on their searches for the truth. Joining him are the foremost experts in the field of behavioral psychology: DR. GILLIAN FOSTER is the doctor's professional partner and intellectual counterpart, a master of deception equally comfortable with lying and concealing her emotions; the other is Dr. Leightman's lead researcher WILL LOKER who says everything on his mind and seemingly lacks the ability to lie. RIA TORRES (Monica Raymund), the newest member of the team, uses her natural and uncanny ability to read body language to catch the clues that her professional partners miss.

Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Samuel Baum serve as executive producers in conjunction with 20th Century Fox Television on this intriguing series based on the science developed by pioneering behavioral psychologists. In its cases and in its character relationships, this unique procedural and character drama is not simply a search for a criminal, but a search for human truth.

LIE TO ME probes the very heart of human nature and explores the idea that there's nothing more revealing than when we choose to tell the truth and when we decide to lie.
http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/new/lie_to_me.htm

Assassin
Thu, 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I saw the first ep of this a little while ago...pretty decent show i think. It really reminds me of the House/Mentalist style of shows, with a 'smarter then everyone else' main character, and some interesting story telling methods.

I think i'll follow it briefly and see if a broader storyline develops.

animus
Fri, 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Was looking forward to this. When I saw the commercials I would think, this kinda sounds like a Mentalist clone cause it had success. Tim Roth's the guy that played the Abomination in the newer Hulk movie isn't he?

Gonna watch the stream on Fox's site shortly!

Munsu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Was looking forward to this. When I saw the commercials I would think, this kinda sounds like a Mentalist clone cause it had success. Tim Roth's the guy that played the Abomination in the newer Hulk movie isn't he?

Gonna watch the stream on Fox's site shortly!
Yep that's him.

You can watch it in hulu also. Don't know where it's more convinient:
http://www.hulu.com/lie-to-me

animus
Fri, 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Good first episode. That was kinda predictable, I pretty much pinned the revelations early.

The analysis is a bit ridiculous though. Catching half of the real subtle facial movements would be too hard to see with the naked eye unless you were really close. But, it's a TV show, so oh well.

Munsu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Good first episode. That was kinda predictable, I pretty much pinned the revelations early.

The analysis is a bit ridiculous though. Catching half of the real subtle facial movements would be too hard to see with the naked eye unless you were really close. But, it's a TV show, so oh well.
Yep, I saw them coming too myself... though I thought the religious kid was really banging the other teenager, but other than that I pretty much saw it coming. I really liked the interaction between Cal and his daughter.

Penner
Sat, 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Predictable and all but im really liking Tim Roth ,didn't really know him that well untill i saw him in The Incredible Hulk.

animus
Sun, 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Episode 2 was decent. I find it incredibly cheesy when they're doing the facial readings of normal talk. "Oh, I saw that rude comment on your face!" Makes me /palmface every time.

Munsu
Sun, 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Episode 2 was decent. I find it incredibly cheesy when they're doing the facial readings of normal talk. "Oh, I saw that rude comment on your face!" Makes me /palmface every time.
Yep, I agree... although I liked the scene with the hotdog cart. I hope we get more episode where they're racing against time to stop some catastrophe or things like that.

Munsu
Sun, 04-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Any of you still watching this?

I just caught up with this, and I'm still enjoying it. I hope they give his daughter more screen time, they have good scenes together. I liked the suicides episode and how dark his mood gets. Last episode was quite good too, with the ex showing up and how it eneded.

I really hate Locker, hopefully he gets killed soon. And I'm still waiting for someone to confront Gillian's husband.

Penner
Sun, 04-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Ye im still following this and Im loving Tim Roth in this series, hes fucking excellent.

Munsu
Thu, 04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Last night's episode was a good one. It had a couple of twists to make it interesting.

We finally get a confrontation with Gillian's husband, though we learn that he's not having an affair but a drug problem. Not sure I buy the explanation at the moment.

Then there's the whole sueing issue with Loker, we learn that the guys knew all along about him backstabbing them and confiding in Torres. He also gets "fired", but is allowed to stay without pay. I was hoping someone would kill him, I really hate his character.

Penner
Thu, 04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I liked him at first but the past few eps i got the impression hes abit of a douche, i do like his "radical honesty" approach to life ;P

animus
Thu, 04-30-2009, 06:59 PM
They kinda failed at molding his character well. Besides his crappy one-liners here and there, his brutal honesty angle hasn't been developed well.

Penner
Fri, 05-01-2009, 06:10 AM
That is true, he said he had some radical honesty thing going but i havent actually seen him use that alot, or at all?

Penner
Thu, 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Good ep, but way too predictable, u kinda got the vibe that the husband of the vitcim was the killer when u first saw them then when the original killer told em that the letter "might mention one of your friends" it was pretty much confirmed.

And Lightman really is crazy good at what he does, its freaky ^^

animus
Thu, 05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I had a feeling Mekhi Pfifer was gonna be on this show long term. He's too established to just be a side.

Munsu
Wed, 05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Show got renewed for a second season, it got a 13 episode order.

Season finale tonight.

Penner
Wed, 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM
good news^^

Munsu
Fri, 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Just watched the latest two episodes, and they were good. I especially liked the one with the lying serial rapist, though I would've liked one final confrontation. Then we have the finale with the terrorist attacks, seemed like a good episode... I kinda watched it half asleep.

Was I the only one that thought that Leightman was going to offer Gillian to live with him for a while? I'm wondering how long will it take him to get under her skirt.

The last two episodes was pretty much what I was expecting from this series... some race against time situations, more FBI involvement, etc.

Honoko
Mon, 05-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I really liked that last ep, particularly the last scene with Torres and Lightman. The FBI involvement was totally inevitable. Anyways, I will look forward to the second season.

Penner
Tue, 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM
"Lie to Me" returns on June 7 (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/03/09/lie-to-me-returns-june-7/)

Penner
Sat, 05-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Lie to Me just got renewed for 13 episodes.

Munsu
Sat, 05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm glad that Fox just didn't choose one or the other between this and Human Target. I really liked the 2nd season, and I can see this show pushing the boundaries a bit more with it's main character.

Penner
Tue, 06-08-2010, 03:42 AM
New episode is out (s02e11)

So great that this got renewed for another season, Tim Roth is fucking excellent.

Munsu
Wed, 06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
The episode was great, probably my favorite in the series so far. Good to see Jason Dohring again, he was great in Veronica Mars... hadn't seen him since Moonlight a couple of years ago.

Penner
Tue, 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
New ep out, and it was one of the best ones i've seen so far, really really good.

Loved the backstory on Lightman and Foster from way back, and i liked Angus Macfadyen as Doyle, seeing him reminds me of the awesomeness of Equilibrium where he played "Father"

Munsu
Tue, 06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Yep, another good episode... the last two have been great.

Last night's episode was pretty good... I don't think I've ever seen Cal as awesome as he was last night, particularly towards the end.

Nice to see that Melissa George is still around.

Penner
Wed, 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
'Jericho' grad Shoshannah Stern joins 'Lie to Me' (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/07/21/lie-to-me-shoshannah-stern/)

Munsu
Tue, 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Last night's episode was really good. We also had a The Shield reunion, we got 6 members of that show in last night's episode.

We have our first casuality of the season, Lone Star got cancelled. As a result, Lie to Me is starting early with new episodes coming out next Monday.

Munsu
Thu, 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Lie to Me cancelled. I was hoping the show would return, but it's done.

Penner
Thu, 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, i just read the news about the cancellations and renewals a few hours ago.. sucks :/