PDA

View Full Version : For Naruto fans having trouble with .mkv files (solution)

Artris
Tue, 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Just grab Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. This player has native support for .mkv and h264 (among many others). It will play just about anything, and has no problems with subs. Works fine with HorribleSubs stuff, specifically.

I've been using it for quite a while (also has DXVA) and figured it would help a few of you. You can get it at:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170561

I'll check this thread and try to help out if people have trouble using it.

RyougaZell
Wed, 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Uh... you DO realize most series are released on mkv this days? I guess you only watched Naruto and never noticed... since Dattebayo refused to use mkv...

Shinda
Wed, 01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
While we're on the subject of the HorribleSubs release; did anyone have the problem with the latest episode that the sound was 30 seconds ahead of the subs? I've already got the media player classic etc, but nothing I did seems to fix it.

David75
Wed, 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
While we're on the subject of the HorribleSubs release; did anyone have the problem with the latest episode that the sound was 30 seconds ahead of the subs? I've already got the media player classic etc, but nothing I did seems to fix it.

in MPC or MPC-HC:
View>Options
then
Internal Filters>Audio Switcher.

Enable Built-in Audio Switcher
then adjust audio time shift in ms...

I guess that's what you need.

Munsu
Wed, 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM
What version? Because if you downloaded the 1080p it might just be that your computer is not good enough to play it.

Shinda
Wed, 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
in MPC or MPC-HC:
View>Options
then
Internal Filters>Audio Switcher.

Enable Built-in Audio Switcher
then adjust audio time shift in ms...

I guess that's what you need.

I messed around with the audio time shift and I got the sound right now. Thanks for the help. :)

Artris
Wed, 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Uh... you DO realize most series are released on mkv this days? I guess you only watched Naruto and never noticed... since Dattebayo refused to use mkv...

Oh I know. Most of my anime is in avi, though I have a few odd balls that use mkv and ogm (I think thats the one? pretty rare). I posted this because lots of people seem to have trouble with mkv. I wish it had stayed in the naruto forums though :/

Deadfire
Thu, 01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
CCCP

http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

Use it...

Artris
Thu, 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
CCCP

http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

Use it...

CCCP certainly works. I used it for years. At the same time though, some games (fallout/oblivion in particular) have serious issues with system codecs. The reason I mentioned MPC-HC is because its stand alone. The executable does all the decoding. A single file, which you can copy to any computer and play back almost anything.

FFDShow rocks, and can apply some very nice filters if setup right. MPC-HC is just easier and more accessable to some of our more narutardish anime viewers (I say that as someone who watches Naruto, well up until this new filler).

itadakimasu
Thu, 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
i like media player classic. so long as you have all the right codecs, just drag and drop. it also has a very simple interface, probably why i like it the most.

Archangel
Sat, 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Not to go offtopic, but why did they always refused to use it?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Compatibility perhaps? AVI is such an old container, and plus the fact that there are DVD players out there that support videos in .avi containers. Thing is though, not that many decode h264 as the number that can decode Divx/Xvid, so their "HD" releases didn't make much sense in that regard.

It can pretty much be explained by the word "familiarity".

Y
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM

There are no features MKV provides to the end user that cannot be duplicated in an AVI, and MKV offers downsides such as increased compatability problems.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
There are no features MKV provides to the end user that cannot be duplicated in an AVI, and MKV offers downsides such as increased compatability problems.
I believe this statement is false.

Chapters support, selectable options for subs (softsubs), multiple audio tracks, huge reduction in errors (created by tracking or other issues).

I will grant that they require higher processor overhead, but exactly which of these features are duplicable?

Y
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Chapters support, selectable options for subs (softsubs), multiple audio tracks, huge reduction in errors (created by tracking or other issues).

I will grant that they require higher processor overhead, but exactly which of these features are duplicable?

All of them. I've no idea what you mean by the tracking error since I've only ever gotten them in MKV. The other features are implemented in AVI already, of course.

Kraco
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I very much doubt some hack avis offer less compatibility problems than mkvs.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Fair enough, it appears my research was lacking.

So, next question. Can avi's accomplish this without becoming an overwhelming bloated filesize?

The majority of support in MKV is native, most of AVI formats are hackjobs. Also, MKV has much better error correction. If it is giving you more troubles than AVI, you are probably having serious hardware/codec issues. I had issues with MKVs for a while on my outdated hardware, but after switching to CoreAVC for the h264 support, the issues never came back.

Y
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Fair enough, it appears my research was lacking.

So, next question. Can avi's accomplish this without becoming an overwhelming bloated filesize?

The majority of support in MKV is native, most of AVI formats are hackjobs. Also, MKV has much better error correction. If it is giving you more troubles than AVI, you are probably having serious hardware/codec issues. I had issues with MKVs for a while on my outdated hardware, but after switching to CoreAVC for the h264 support, the issues never came back.

I'm not having issues with anything - I have a PC I bought last January which is more than capable of playing 1080p video while it cooks breakfast for me. It's still ridiculous that MKV was essentially foisted on people by nerdraging scene encoders for no user benefit and a huge amount of added compatibility problems.

Archangel
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
This discussion would probably best be held on a different thread, Ryllharu and Y

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm not having issues with anything - I have a PC I bought last January which is more than capable of playing 1080p video while it cooks breakfast for me. It's still ridiculous that MKV was essentially foisted on people by nerdraging scene encoders for no user benefit and a huge amount of added compatibility problems.
Alright, let's say for the sake of argument that I'm out of touch with the encoding community. (True more or less anyway)

You keep mentioning compatability issues without going into detail. Care to enlighten me on a few specific issues?

This discussion would probably best be held on a different thread, Ryllharu and YThis is pretty funny coming from you. This whole thread is about playback and compatability issues of AVI versus MKV. The only off-topic question was why DB refused to use it.

Y
Sat, 01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Alright, let's say for the sake of argument that I'm out of touch with the encoding community. (True more or less anyway)

You keep mentioning compatability issues without going into detail. Care to enlighten me on a few specific issues?

Playing MKVs back in standalone players and converting them to DVD-Video files was a huge hassle last time I checked. As for playable errors, a Google search reveals half as many results for MKV playback problems as it does for AVI - despite the fact that AVI predates MKV by ten years. This forum and every other one like it was plagued with tech support requests when groups began the switchover to MKV.

Kraco
Sun, 01-25-2009, 04:18 AM
As for playable errors, a Google search reveals half as many results for MKV playback problems as it does for AVI - despite the fact that AVI predates MKV by ten years. This forum and every other one like it was plagued with tech support requests when groups began the switchover to MKV.

No shit. Avi is an MS proprietary format and has native Windows support. Mkv was probably never used by any industry (though I'm sure the mp4 developers studied it hard). It's somewhat nobrained which one would generate more problems among people not knowing what they are doing. Besides, who knows how many of those problems are just lousy computers trying to run h264 mkvs? Avi hasn't been used for h264 until quite recently when some rare groups refused to switch to mkv or mp4.

darkshadow
Sun, 01-25-2009, 07:16 AM
That doesn't make his points any less true.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-25-2009, 08:38 AM
But it makes the data skewed, and brings question to its validity.

Most of us remember the days when the majority of the groups decided to switch to h264 (and .mkv to contain it natively). It showed exactly how many morons there were among us who watched anime and had no clue what a codec ever was.

When I stared checking some of Y's claims (which are true, though mostly through hackjobs and 3rd party plugins) I'd say the overwhelming majority of forum threads I found through search were from 2005-2006. Most of the complaints were during the switchover. Mostly by people who had never heard of a codec pack, and just played everything in Windows Media Player.

.avi was introduced in '92. Not exactly the explosion of internet communication. It's no surprise there aren't any complaints, especially considering it is windows native as Kraco pointed out.