PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Ip Man

Killa-Eyez
Fri, 01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
For all the martial arts fanboys on GW.

This movie's about the life of Ip Man, the grandfather of the kung fu style Wing Chun. Played by Donnie Yen, Ip Man in his time is a very much respected Master whom is known to be the best. During the Marco Polo Bridge Incident, Man is forced to leave his home with his family and work hard for a little. During this period, Man sets an example and motivates all the people of China to fight off the Japanese.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220719/

Enjoy. I did. :rolleyes:

Edit: forgot the info link.

Psyke
Sun, 01-18-2009, 12:40 AM
A lot of my friends have high praises for this show, in particular the fight scenes. I've been wanting to watch this, but due to lack of time I'll have to wait for the DVD instead. And Donnie Yen's been great in all these action scenes. He goes way back to old HK films with Jet Li, so you should check out some of his past fights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65IS3Rx-p3o).

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Though the clip you linked looked very masculine and barbaric, I'm not really a fan of those sloppy movements, especially in slow-mo... I like the controlled fighting with the techniques and styles depicted clearly, as in Ip Man. Especially Ip Man, as I think Wing Chun is one of the best kung fu there is. I tried it once. It's hard, but very cool.

Psyke
Sun, 01-18-2009, 01:42 AM
The clip I linked showed him using a grappler style, which I thought was pretty cool. I liked the Ip Man trailers, so I'm looking forward to it.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 01:45 AM
The grappler style I didn't mind, it's the punching and kicking that had me going mweehh.
Anyone seen Ip Man?

Btw Psyke, you can dl Ip Man...

Psyke
Sun, 01-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Nah, I'd rather wait for the DVD. :)

darkshadow
Sun, 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I saw Ip man 2 days ago or so and yeah it was pretty damn badass, awesome fighting, cool story. Definitly getting the blu-ray for this.
Also can't wait for the sequel, with bruce lee and all.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Also can't wait for the sequel, with bruce lee and all.

:eek: *googling info about the sequel*

Penner
Tue, 03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Just watched it like an hour ago, freaking hell that was some awesome fight scenes in this movie, especially the one where he's 'enraged' because they killed his fellow Master friend and beat his other friend to death, and he completely mangles those 10 guys, good god that was like uber awesome!

Munsu
Sun, 06-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Just watched the movie, and was really impressed. Loved it. As mentioned above, the fight with the 10 Japanese dudes was quite awesome and impressive.

Not knowing anything of the biographic nature of the Ip, I thought he would die in the end with the message of the movie being "he sacrificed his life to save his nation" or some crap like that, glad he's still alive. Looking forward to Ip Man 2.

Killa-Eyez
Fri, 05-14-2010, 05:29 AM
So... Anyone seen Ip Man 2? It's awesome!
Waiting for the movie about this legend in his youth. Seems both Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung (who both played in the series Wing Chun and are good friends of Jackie) have leading roles in "The Legend Is Born: Ip Man". Sammo also plays in Ip Man 2. Very strong role.

Edit: No Bruce Lee though...

Penner
Fri, 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
The fuck.... theres a second one!?

I'm so going to watch this, the first one was awesome!

Munsu
Sat, 05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
So... Anyone seen Ip Man 2? It's awesome!
Waiting for the movie about this legend in his youth. Seems both Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung (who both played in the series Wing Chun and are good friends of Jackie) have leading roles in "The Legend Is Born: Ip Man". Sammo also plays in Ip Man 2. Very strong role.

Edit: No Bruce Lee though...

That's great to know, I had the movie but forgot about it. Now that I know that it was a good one, then I'll give it a shot soon.

Was it better than the first one? As good?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-16-2010, 04:26 AM
That's great to know, I had the movie but forgot about it. Now that I know that it was a good one, then I'll give it a shot soon.

Was it better than the first one? As good?

It wasn't as "good" in the sense that Ip Man wasn't forced into drastic situations like the first movie, and instead his situation was one that he chose himself since he wanted to open up a school. In that sense, there wasn't as much character development for Ip Man as there was in the first where he turned from someone who enjoyed a comfortable life aimlessly to someone who had more of a purpose.

It was "better" in the sense that the Twister was a better final boss than the Japanese. Ip Man actually got beat up pretty badly, while he would have been coming out of the Japanese fight unscathed if he wasn't shot. So the tension was good.

I actually thought Yip Man's main disciple (the first guy who challenged him after speaking with the laundry lady) had a cocky look (and just his look in general) that highly resembled a young Bruce Lee. More so than that kid at the end. All he really had going for him was the thumb-nose flick.

I watched the final boxing match twice, and actually interpreted the beatdown flashbacks differently the second time. At first I thought Yip Man was paying Twister back for what he did to Huang Jun Nan, but the second time round, I read it as Yip Man reminding himself of how his beatdown of a near-incapacitated Twister was like how Twister snapped at a barely upright Huang. The second interpretation fits in quite well with the rather sudden stopping. As a result, Twister came out alive (for now).

All in all, this played out like most sequels do. The first movie was more about Yip Man becoming who he will finally be, while the second introduced some side characters and was more about seeing him kick ass.

Having watched these two movies back to back, a bit of trivia to note is that they only depicted Yip Man's bloody knuckles in his first fight against the ten Japanese. Since then, he's come out with clean knuckles after every fight.

depthcharge
Mon, 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
No kidding, this is good stuff.