PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Cowboy Bebop

Munsu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Live-action Bebop with Keanu Reeves?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-15/live-action-cowboy-bebop-proposal-officially-announced

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Lol, seriously Keanu Reaves? Spike's too quirky for the actor best at not acting.

Parkalash
Thu, 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Why most the Usa come wit there fat finger's and do remakes of every little good thing that has come from asia ,Korea,japan ect.. not jsut Cowboy Bebop but Akira, Death note Ghost in the Shell and so on....

Forgot Astroboy and the Dragon Ball movie that's comeing soon jeez. just come up with ur own freaking story's us....

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Why most the Usa come wit there fat finger's and do remakes of every little good thing that has come from asia ,Korea,japan ect.. not jsut Cowboy Bebop but Akira, Death note Ghost in the Shell and so on....

Forgot Astroboy and the Dragon Ball movie that's comeing soon jeez. just come up with ur own freaking story's us....
Don't forgot our remake of Oldboy, starring Will Smith.

Munsu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM

It goes both ways you know? I'm pretty sure Asian countries do their own adaptations of American things and other countries. There are mangas coming out about X-Men, Batman, and I think there was a Spider-Man anime and there's also Peter Pan.

Inazuma
Thu, 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
This is not how a 2004 thread about an awesome series should come back to 2009.
It feels wrong.

Keanu Reaves ? Reaves as ... Spike Spiegel ?

Why not Angelina Jolie as Ed ?

Gods, please strike that dollar hungry retard that got the idea for the cast with a meteorite made out alien compressed shit.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Ah ya-ya... there they are again, the hobby-directors who can tell that everything is wrong from the beginning even though nothing is finished or even started yet.

who are you to decide if the cast is wrong or right and tell me, what exactly is wrong with Keanu Reeves?
You guys should be happy that someone like him is showing interest.

it's going to be another movie created for the masses so accept that you will see even more "eye candy" ^^

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Ah ya-ya... there they are again, the hobby-directors who can tell that everything is wrong from the beginning even though nothing is finished or even started yet.

who are you to decide if the cast is wrong or right and tell me, what exactly is wrong with Keanu Reeves?
You guys should be happy that someone like him is showing interest.

it's going to be another movie created for the masses so accept that you will see even more "eye candy" ^^

I don't think you honestly wrote this post with actual knowledge of who Keanu Reaves is.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
It's Neo, isn't it?

but the question is... why shouldn't he act as Spike?

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
It's Neo, isn't it?

Yea it is, he was also in Constantine as well as the recent the Day the Earth Stood Still. If you watched him in those, you would know where we're coming from.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
But since I did not watch them, you could explain it to me...

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Lol, seriously Keanu Reaves? Spike's too quirky for the actor best at not acting.

^ What I posted earlier in this thread.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
oh come on... never mind then, that's just stupid.

I doubt that someone, who won a stunt award, trained in several martial art, is too "passive" for spike.. especially if you consider that Spike is really uninterested in everything that's happening around him... not really a what you would call a "hero".

to be honest I think if you put in any other Actor as spike, you guys would still say the same thing.
which actor would you like to see as Spike for example... and why?

Parkalash
Thu, 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
It goes both ways you know? I'm pretty sure Asian countries do their own adaptations of American things and other countries. There are mangas coming out about X-Men, Batman, and I think there was a Spider-Man anime and there's also Peter Pan.

Okay there might be stuff likfe that :P havent thougt much about it, but the remake that bother's me most is departed.. adn then gettings freaking oscar's for it god dam.. im never gonna see departed..

About cowboy bebeop, only thing im hopeing for is that they keep the same type of music or even use the same comsoper's and grp, otherwise they can just drop dead..

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
the remake that bother's me most is departed.. adn then gettings freaking oscar's for it god dam.. im never gonna see departed...
There's your problem right there. You're too caught up in :mad: :mad: :mad: AMERICA!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: to actually watch the Goddamn movie. Stop being so immature.

About cowboy bebeop, only thing im hopeing for is that they keep the same type of music
Just for the record, Yoko Kanno, Bebop's composer, is notorious for ripping off other people's music. So much for originality.

I'm pretty sure Asian countries do their own adaptations of American things and other countries.
I would bring up Bollywood remakes of Western stuff, except Bollywood remakes have the perk of being unintentionally (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvP7dT3Dx0) hilarious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ky5ClIjL8).

Also Turkish Star Wars and the Japanese Spider-Man.

Parkalash
Thu, 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
There's your problem right there. You're too caught up in :mad: :mad: :mad: AMERICA!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: to actually watch the Goddamn movie. Stop being so immature.

i woudnt say :mad: :mad: America:mad: :mad: rather Hollywood a bit, there are tons of good movies from Usa

Abdula
Thu, 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
If you didn't see The Departed and you're never going to see it just because you're upset about Hollywood's obsession with remakes, then you my friend are retarded.

Watch the damn movie!:mad:

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
@Parkalash
Departed is such a good movie.. it's very close to the original, many Key-scenes have the same text.
It's slighty adjusted for the "western world", that is why I think it has better Actors and a better ending.

but you are complaining about remakes, without seeing them first , that just proves that you are one of theses guys who are like. "Oh they make a remake of one of my favorite
not so well-known anime/game/movie, I must express that I've watched the original and thus critizise everything they are doing in the remake and constantly proclaim how much better *this and that* is in the original (even though it isn't true)!"

I don't know how you call them... maybe... "Old People"? They tend to do the same thing.

Parkalash
Thu, 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM
yeye i get ur point thou in this case the only remake i havent watched is Departed

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Just for the record, Yoko Kanno, Bebop's composer, is notorious for ripping off other people's music. So much for originality.
I think of Yoko Kanno as the Quentin Tarantino of composers. Sure she rips off a lot of styles, but that doesn't mean her muscial scores aren't good. She's really skilled at taking a lot of work together and mashing it into something that is as classic on its own. It's better than Yuki Kajura where every single soundtrack sounds pretty much the same (really good, but they still all sound alike).

As for the Bebop live-action, I actually think Reeves could do really well if he goes back to his roots. Spike is one of the most laid-back morons in space there ever was. A lot like a surfer. Keanu Reeve's body of work is not always as monotone as people like to think. Spike is laid back (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted's_Excellent_Adventure), a bit of a comedy-relief asshole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_Ado_About_Nothing_(film)), who gets pretty ruthless (or selfless) when things turn sour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil's_Advocate_(film)).

But the movie has to be taken seriously during production, like the resurgence of superhero movies that take themselves seriously. Batman Begins, Watchmen, and others like it that may be based off mediums usually referred to as "kid's stuff."

Death BOO Z
Thu, 01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
it's been a while since I expressed my thoughts using someone else's works.

the truth behind bad movies (http://www.lilformers.com/index.php/2009/01/12/lil-formers-131-the-master-plan/)

ever since matrix (the first) keano could put out a decent movie, heck, even in the first matrix he was kinda bland. but the movie was still good.

Reeves can't act seriously, not in any movie of him I ever watched.

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I think of Yoko Kanno as the Quentin Tarantino of composers. Sure she rips off a lot of styles, but that doesn't mean her muscial scores aren't good.
Yoko Kanno has a pretty extensive list of "influences" (http://www.fictionjunction.be/2006/10/20/the-shocking-truth-about-yoko-kanno/), and while I understand the issue of nothing being truly original in creating music, some of the songs on that list are pretty damning, and it's something I like to bring up whenever there's talk about how influential she is as a composer.

In any case, I have doubts about Reeves portraying Spike after seeing The Day the Earth Stood Still. In that he's cast as the part he was born to play, and even then it seems sort of weird and not quite right. As hilarious as a Theodore Logan-style Spike may seem in my mind, I can't see him doing anything but phone it in. You're right that it needs to be taken seriously, but I don't think it will be.

masamuneehs
Thu, 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
i'm not sure why all the posts for the Cowboy Bebop live-action film don't get their own thread...

and, for the record, I disliked the remake of the Departed (never saw the original) and am more than a little bit doubtful about how a Bebop live-action will go...

also

He (Reeves) also indicated that the preliminary story outline partly draws inspiration from the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the animated series.
It's been a long time since I've seen Desperado, but I seem to remember that that first episode had quite a bit of things taken from the "El Mariachi" series. Also, this really brings up a bad premonition about how they'll handle things like Faye's character and the back-story with Vicious and Julia. After all, although Red Eye appears a few times throughout the series as "typical high-end drug of the future" the "Asteroid Blues" episode focuses mostly on the bad guy and his wife...

And I'm praying like all hell that Shinichiro Watanabe has a bigger hand in this than either Keiko Nobumoto or Kenji Uchida. But I can't help but see the "three associate producers" thing as largely being a PR gimmick to have people believe the original Bebop boys are involved in the film when Sunrise is probably just going to have Uchida ham-fist a lot of crap into it.

Uchida's record is pretty up and down. He's clearly from the sci-fi adventure background, and some of the older Gundams he helped produce were very good, but, tying in to my concerns about what the movie will actually focus on, he was most recently the planner for both seasons of Code Geass. And as good as parts of that show were, the thing it suffered from most was poor planning.

edit to below - dude. are you serious? it's the freaking Bebop live action movie, on an anime forum. but thanks.

Munsu
Thu, 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
i'm not sure why all the posts for the Cowboy Bebop live-action film don't get their own thread...

and, for the record, I disliked the remake of the Departed (never saw the original) and am more than a little bit doubtful about how a Bebop live-action will go...
I didn't expect this huge ammount of posts. I'll split the thread.

digitalrurouni
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I personally liked Constantine. Didnt like the Day the Earth Stood Still but its not like that movie had a lot of story now did it? Its like the remake of King Kong by Peter Jackson...not much story...but the visuals and stuff were awesome. Day the Earth Stood Still just was a horrible movie...I mean there was no story AT ALL!

Matrix was awesome. And yeah Reaves's ability to be nonchalant and uninterested is perfect for Spike though I still think it is a bit of a stretch. I say let us give it a shot :) We still have the original anime. If they make a hash of it...oh well...but if they dont then even better. Either way its not like we are losing something. It will give us more to talk about on the other hand if the movie turns out to be good or if it turns out to be a major amount of compressed alien shit! :P

Junior
Fri, 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
...Keanu Reeves? As Spike? Somehow, it doesn't fit. He feels far too serious.

I wonder...who will play Faye? I mean, that'll be the part of a lifetime! *hopes they pick a new actress* I can't picture any current ones for Faye.

Mugen
Fri, 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I hope to god they don't even touch this anime.... that dbz movie already looks terrible...

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't know, I'm going to reserve judgment until they make it. I do think Keanu Reeves can pull off Spike, though a lot of fans are dead-set on Steven Blum's voice and the impossible afro haircut. For two decades people said the same thing about Watchmen, and it sounds like it will turn out really well.

I'm definitely more worried about who they'd cast as Faye. I've always thought of her as Asian-American (with the perfectly straight black hair) but there's no way in hell Hollywood would ever cast an Asian-American female in a leading role like that. They're always descriminated against and replaced with some 25-something WASP who doesn't fit the role.

However, there is someone I think could really pull it off. While she looks a little younger than Faye (she's supposed to be around 24, but always looked 28-30 to me), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_Winstead) could probably pull it off very well.

Everon
Fri, 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't really like Keanu. Occasionally he'll have moments where he'll shine, but when he tries to act "dark and mysterious," he always uses this weird, dull personality. Its decent enough, but its also the same damn thing for every character that's got a mysterious persona. There aren't degrees.

Junior
Sat, 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't know, I'm going to reserve judgment until they make it. I do think Keanu Reeves can pull off Spike, though a lot of fans are dead-set on Steven Blum's voice and the impossible afro haircut. For two decades people said the same thing about Watchmen, and it sounds like it will turn out really well.

I'm definitely more worried about who they'd cast as Faye. I've always thought of her as Asian-American (with the perfectly straight black hair) but there's no way in hell Hollywood would ever cast an Asian-American female in a leading role like that. They're always descriminated against and replaced with some 25-something WASP who doesn't fit the role.

However, there is someone I think could really pull it off. While she looks a little younger than Faye (she's supposed to be around 24, but always looked 28-30 to me), Mary Elizabeth Winstead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_Winstead) could probably pull it off very well.

I know her! Final Destination 3! But I can't picture her as the sexy, seductive Faye.

But yeah, you're right. They'll cast some bimbo and ruin Faye's good name forever.

On a side note, the majority of anime characters look Eurasian...just a side note. Not adding to anything. at all. :)

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I know her! Final Destination 3! But I can't picture her as the sexy, seductive Faye.You need to see her sing in the DVD version of Grindhouse Presents: Deathproof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLG645FHMu0). You might think differently...

Junior
Sat, 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Still not feeling it. She's more...beautiful. And classy.

Faye's oozing sex appeal but at the same time, she's cool enough for girls to like her character. I really can't think of an actress...

Oh...I read a few articles and it appears Reeves planned this Cowboy Bebop thing. It's been a dream of his to play Spike and he initiated the project.

After having a good look at Spike, he does look like Keanu (the face).(and I've seen a comparison picture in an article).
I just hope Keanu can pull off a smiling face...Spike's pretty easy going.

Munsu
Tue, 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Some more news on this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-21/producer/live-action-cowboy-bebop-will-not-be-origin-story