PDA

View Full Version : Where are you on your career path?

Mugen
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
been doing some soul searching the last couple of days, i'm just curious as to where everyone is in their plans wether you're just starting, or have already gotten there

Nadouku
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I decided that letting life have its way with me is not the best option, so I had to move myself to find one, and decided that it's too hard to retain that path. I have no idea what to do anymore... :(

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm half way through my Pharmacy degree at University. I'm not entirely sure if it's what I want to do. I don't have a dream, or something I really want to do as a job in particular. What made me pick this after highschool is the projected job stability regarding hours and employment due to the aging baby-boomers and their babies. I also wanted to do something in the health sciences field because......well, frankly speaking, I don't know. I think it might be because they're generally respected.

I don't really like community pharmacy all that much, from my experiences at placement. Maybe it's because I'm a noob and felt kind of useless, or it might be because of the age difference, and I've got no one to talk to.

Starting this year, I'll be taking Medical School Graduate Entry tests annually to keep my options open. If by my fourth year I like pharmacy enough, or am simply sick of studying, or for some reason really want some cash, I'll take the path of a pharmacist. If I'm not satisfied with were I am, chances are I'll try out a medicine degree.

Funny thing is, in high school, I took the subjects English/Maths C (most advanced/abstract maths course offered here for senior high students)/Maths B (second most advanced maths course)/Physics/Chemistry and Economics. No biology in there at all - which indicates I was more of a numbers/physics guy. Besides career paths like Pharmacy, Optometry, Dentistry and Medicine, I also listed things like Aerospace Engineering and Civil Engineering. Sometimes I do wonder if I'd be better off choosing those. Maths is, after all, my strongest point. But a bit of ego gets to me, and choosing one of the health sciences more or less was affected by the highly regarded profession factor. Having high standards for selection also made seem highly valued. After all, being hard to obtain only makes humans desire them more.

But after completing half of my course with the intention of going all the way, I can say that engineering was an opportunity cost. I'd never travel back to try it out.

Sound familiar? Probably because you've read this before:

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I started school again today after taking 2 years off, my grades went to shit because of family issues and my hatred of pursuing journalism was pissing me off too. So I'm currently working toward a business associates in computer information and technology, and I should have that done by November. With all hope, I'll have my bachelors a year after that.

Animeniax
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:38 AM
You're asking the wrong crowd. Most of the folks here still live in their parents' basement and dream of playing video games professionally for a living.

Assertn
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:39 AM
Every year's better than the previous year...and soon my company will be publicly launching a product that will hopefully be very successful

Death BOO Z
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm currently studying to improve my math grades from high school, and after that (next month, actually) I'll be starting to study for the PYSCHOMETRIE [the Israel equivalent of SATs test, the higher learning exam]...

after that? no idea. I should probably go and study something, since I have no real talent that will allow me to make a living, but I don't know what I want to do with my life...

meanwhile, I work in a school supplies store, selling crap products to crap people.

Assertn
Tue, 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM
So Mugen....how about yourself?

David75
Tue, 01-13-2009, 03:28 AM
followed one of the said to be most difficult school/studies path.
I finished that, then got to work only to experience that people there sucked big time.
Changed path, had lots of personal/health problems. So I'm pretty much stuck, no energy to move for the moment.
Problem is I really never had any plans of my own, if you don't have a place to go, you end up nowhere, exactly where I am.
My problem for now is to find the cause for my lack of energy, the physical one. Once I'm clear with that, I can somehow think of a goal and try to start moving again.

DB_Hunter
Tue, 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM
I have a degree in engineering.

First job in IT security.

Second job in IT.

Third job in Project Management.

Now I want to be a doctor.

Psyke
Tue, 01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
I've been working for about 8 years now, but recently I've been thinking about what I really want to do for the rest of my life. It's not that I'm unhappy, but rather what I can achieve but didn't set out to even attempt. Not everyone can get a job which they enjoy doing on a daily basis, but hopefully I can start planning for something soon. The worst thing is to be on your death bed and having regrets over what you could have accomplished. You only get 1 shot in life, so make it count. :)

David75
Tue, 01-13-2009, 06:19 AM
I've been working for about 8 years now, but recently I've been thinking about what I really want to do for the rest of my life. It's not that I'm unhappy, but rather what I can achieve but didn't set out to even attempt. Not everyone can get a job which they enjoy doing on a daily basis, but hopefully I can start planning for something soon. The worst thing is to be on your death bed and having regrets over what you could have accomplished. You only get 1 shot in life, so make it count. :)

I've learned to live with regrets, I think I know a bit of happiness too.

So now I just want to benefit from it a little more. Sure a job you go to, and come back from with a smile is a big plus.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-13-2009, 07:32 AM
The best thing that can happen is to have a job you like. But if you don't have such a thing, or simply like doing nothing, then your next best option is something you don't like, but pays well. Hopefully that money will let you do whatever you do like while you're off duty.

That's my take on things anyway. I really do wish I have some sort of aspirations. School was easy; everything was laid our for you. Just climb the ladder. But now, you're on your own. Make your own ladder.

I'm a person who can lead, no doubt about that. But I need someone on top to tell me where I'm leading everybody do. Regarding personal development, no one can do that but you. So yeah, it stumps me.

David75
Tue, 01-13-2009, 07:41 AM
You guys still at school or college should really know something:
These are amongst the best time of your life!

Why's that?
Money isn't a great deal of a problem as it can be after.
You can be quite selfish, and should be: you're creating the one you'll be in the years to come.
You have some free time, with no worries at all.
You can learn a try a lot of new things.

After that, life can be interresting, but everyday life is so much heavier that you feel not as free as the days you were a student.

Never forget that, try to extract the most of those days.

darkshadow
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm halfway through my Game Design & Development masters degree, and I'm currently looking for an internship, preferably in Japan.

David75
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm halfway through my Game Design & Development masters degree, and I'm currently looking for an internship, preferably in Japan.
It is said -for once- that France as got pretty good schools in that domain. I wonder if it's true... but even if it was you probably don't care/don't speak the language.

Kensee
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm currently working at a high school math teacher in a charter school. I'm still going to school in order to get my masters degree in mathematics, masters degree in education, and my single subject teaching credential.

Right now I'm working full time and taking 29 units in class. It took me a while to find what I wanted to do, not sure if this is it but right now I'm really enjoying my job.

Mugen
Tue, 01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
So Mugen....how about yourself?

well for the past 2 years i've been working towards getting into animation school, i have a portfolio review in 6 weeks and it's pretty overwhelming (spelling?). The program is hard to get into. Thousands of aplicants, only about 100-200 seats. Before i set my mind on animation, my other choice was auto-mechanic. Auto-mechanic is more stable and easier to get a job. It's only 2 years, then after that i can start working and earning a salary. Animation is 4 years, and after that I have to fight for a job cause it's again, pretty competitive. I'd much rather earn a living off of doing art, I hate doing repetitive tasks, but I'm 22 now and If i don't get in for september that means i'll have to wait till 2010 to apply again. I don't want to lose another year... Right now I'm considering what to do if i don't get accepted this year.

complich8
Tue, 01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
My brother's a mechanic, and based on his experiences and the experiences of his friends and coworkers, many mechanics don't do so great in the finance department. I dunno about where you're from, but that seems to be how it is here at any rate. If you do go that route, it'd be good to make sure to get all the certifications you can get, and make sure to actually get a degree too... it helps.

That said, if you're mechanically inclined enough to be a competent mechanic, you could probably do as well or better in electrical work or HVAC. If the animation thing doesn't work out, that is. Always good to have a fallback...

As for me, I'm pretty well settled in my career path for at least the next 5 years. Right now I'm doing a job I enjoy (sr. linux sysadmin) at a company I don't feel bad working for with people I mostly get along with. I'm compensated adequately, though with at least some room to improve. I'm planning on going to a couple of relevant conferences this year, and probably doing some certification work either this fiscal year or next, and probably pursuing a master's in another year after that. As long as nothing terrible happens, I think I'm on a long-term track for this job, which I'm totally fine with.

kAi
Wed, 01-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I like where I'm working now, it's basically the second step of my career in IT. Money is pretty good, but there is room for improvement, but there is still plenty more paths I want to take and learn some more things. I think I will be moving around within the company I'm currently at now but just doing different IT roles and see what I like most or just keep changing every few years.

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Well, I just finished High School and I'm taking this year off.

I can't decide what to do. For some strange reason, I want to do something that'll help people. So I've looked at being a Doctor, Nurse, Police officer and Forensics(help put the bad guy in jail? XD). I also considered Mechanical Engineering as well as being a Beautician (but those don't really help people)

I'm leaning strongly towards a Doctor, but I'm thinking about stupid things. Like, it's 6 years of studying. What if I die before I become a doctor? My life would've been wasted! Studying! D: *is paranoid*

But I've always wanted to have an ability that I could lend to under-privileged people. Awhile back, my grandmother had an operation and it wasn't done correctly and she had it to have it done again. And since she's a senior citzen, it's for free. And I kept thinking the Doctor was obviously lazy because he wasn't getting money from it so he didn't do it properly.

Since then, I've considered being a Doctor. I could give medical care to those who can't afford it. (As a bonus, I like Biology.)

...man, that sounded lame.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Well, I just finished High School and I'm taking this year off.

I can't decide what to do. For some strange reason, I want to do something that'll help people. So I've looked at being a Doctor, Nurse, Police officer and Forensics(help put the bad guy in jail? XD). I also considered Mechanical Engineering as well as being a Beautician (but those don't really help people).
Shit towns where poor people live need engineers, but usually civil engineers. Still, they'd appreciate the clean running water or electricity that a mechanical engineer could provide them. If you were in the US, you could pursue a career in Pharmacy to help people. There is a dire need for them (here and in Japan I think), so the pay is good.

Assertn
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I see what you're trying to do, Animeniax, but its futile to try to convince a girl to be an engineer. Sorry man

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Civil engineering? Hm...(well, I am a jack of all trades, just a master of none.)

This may sound stupid, but how would I be able to use that to help people? Wouldn't I need outside help as well? (Since all I can do then, would be design houses)

Then again...I guess as a mechanical engineer, I'd need outside help too...but that Pharmacy idea sounds good but I'm not interested in money that much.

EDIT: Hey Assertn, my dad keeps egging me to be an engineer. XD I might do it.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I knew this cute girl who got an electrical engineering degree. Imagine how much free tutoring and help she got. She now works for NASA. I also knew this other cute girl who was an electrical engineer, and she now works for a major oilfield services company. It pays to be a woman amongst many many pathetic men I guess.

@Junior: You're thinking of architects. Civil engineers help establish civic necessities and organize people and resources, plan public works and construction of bridges and structures, basically anything that's needed to make a town... a town. In a shit town, they are needed more than the other types of engineers.

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 11:15 AM
*thinks about electrical engineering* My father did that and my brother's doing that when he's older. Hmm...

Wow...I could help build proper houses for people. I hadn't even thought of going in that direction!
Well, Ani, I think I'll add that to possibilities. I want to make the best choice. (I'm glad I took this year off...hard choice to make)

Assertn
Wed, 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
The most helpful position to be in is in a market with the lowest saturation of workers. Whether that's being a doctor or an electrical engineer....I wouldn't know without looking into it. Another good option to consider is going into sciences, like immunology or cancer research.

itadakimasu
Wed, 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
about 2 years ago i was hoping i'd be making about 33% more than I'm making right now doing IT work. My new years resolutions include getting back to studying and to get at least a few certs this year. I took the CCNP : Optiimizing Converged Networks exam twice, because there was free re-take. I studied up on most of the stuff I missed on the first exam and somehow did worse on it... no idea how.

might be looking to advance by next year, theres not really any room for growth where i'm working currently but I am enjoying my rather large office I've had since december ^^ beats the hell out of a little cube.

-side note : I need 3 classes to get my associates degree, but they're all core classes I could care less about and at this point since i'm working full time, I'm starting to wonder if an associates degree is even worth anything at all.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
But I've always wanted to have an ability that I could lend to under-privileged people. Awhile back, my grandmother had an operation and it wasn't done correctly and she had it to have it done again. And since she's a senior citzen, it's for free. And I kept thinking the Doctor was obviously lazy because he wasn't getting money from it so he didn't do it properly.

Isn't it just subsidized by the government health fund, and the Dr just palms the bill to them?

In my opinion, most jobs, directly or indirectly, help people. I guess it depends on how you want to do it.

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
The most helpful position to be in is in a market with the lowest saturation of workers. Whether that's being a doctor or an electrical engineer....I wouldn't know without looking into it. Another good option to consider is going into sciences, like immunology or cancer research.

My dad said that too! Engineers are in demand here.

But I really want to help people who can't afford all the best things. Although, I feel like I haven't thought this out properly...I mean, if I did become a doctor, what am I gonna do? Go by myself to some poor country and just help people? I'd need a team at least. :( And...probably funding...maybe. *thinks of the anime Black Jack* :p

Isn't it just subsidized by the government health fund, and the Dr just palms the bill to them?

In my opinion, most jobs, directly or indirectly, help people. I guess it depends on how you want to do it.

*thinks* How embarassing...I'm not too sure actually. Maybe...the doctor was just incompetent then. That makes me want to become a doctor even more! There are so many bad doctors here. And with this Black Empowerment thing, they're just passing everyone as Doctors when they're not even properly educated. *sigh* This isn't euqality anymore...

But you're right. But I really want to help people with the basic needs. Food, Medical Care and Shelter.

I think I'm being unrealistic.

Abdula
Wed, 01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Not unrealistic perhaps just a bit overzealous.

Junior
Wed, 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah...way overzealous(big word)

But I figured, rather than complaining this world sucks, I'll do something about it. Hard work can accomplish anything!

Yes...way too over-eager...

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm a little late to the party.

If you want to go medical route, definitely go Pharmacy instead. It's still 6 years, but they are in enormous demand, and you get to help people all day long, potentially more than a doctor might. A lot of people out there really don't know what they're doing with their medications, and a pharmacist's advice can be really helpful to a lot of people. It also gives you a better sense of the people in the community where you work. I go into the local pharmacy about once a month, and the pharmacy staff knows nearly everyone in my town.

Civil engineering definitely helps people out more than mechanical. The old adage always was, "mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets." A lot of mechanical work (being one myself) ends up working on flows through a pipe, valve, against blades (aircraft), heat transfer into any of the above, and other non-glamorous pieces of really awesome things. Be aware that in the US anyway, Civil Engineers are required to take the Professional Engineer (PE) exam to be certified to work. Mechanical and other engineering disciplines can get away with it as long as they work for a company. Consultants or small-business founders are required as well. Mechanical is rewarding work, but you rarely help out individual people.

Tossing this one in, one thing you may also want to consider is something like Big Brothers Big Sisters (http://www.bbbs.org/) or an equivalent program. It doesn't take a lot of time, and you can really help out a kid who just needs someone to listen to or hang out with. I can't say I do it myself because of where I live (middle of nowhere) but that may be another avenue you may want to check out if you want to help people.

darkshadow
Wed, 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
It is said -for once- that France as got pretty good schools in that domain. I wonder if it's true... but even if it was you probably don't care/don't speak the language.

I wouldn't know, I know our school is the 7th best in Europe.
I was also talking about an internship, as in an actual job, not studying abroad ;)

animus
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:43 AM

If you want to go medical route, definitely go Pharmacy instead. It's still 6 years, but they are in enormous demand, and you get to help people all day long, potentially more than a doctor might. A lot of people out there really don't know what they're doing with their medications, and a pharmacist's advice can be really helpful to a lot of people. It also gives you a better sense of the people in the community where you work. I go into the local pharmacy about once a month, and the pharmacy staff knows nearly everyone in my town.

Civil engineering definitely helps people out more than mechanical. The old adage always was, "mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets." A lot of mechanical work (being one myself) ends up working on flows through a pipe, valve, against blades (aircraft), heat transfer into any of the above, and other non-glamorous pieces of really awesome things. Be aware that in the US anyway, Civil Engineers are required to take the Professional Engineer (PE) exam to be certified to work. Mechanical and other engineering disciplines can get away with it as long as they work for a company. Consultants or small-business founders are required as well. Mechanical is rewarding work, but you rarely help out individual people.

Tossing this one in, one thing you may also want to consider is something like Big Brothers Big Sisters (http://www.bbbs.org/) or an equivalent program. It doesn't take a lot of time, and you can really help out a kid who just needs someone to listen to or hang out with. I can't say I do it myself because of where I live (middle of nowhere) but that may be another avenue you may want to check out if you want to help people.

Pharmacy's decent. They have a decently high starting salary (somewhere close to six figures), but their maximum growth is very very limited.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Pharmacy's decent. They have a decently high starting salary (somewhere close to six figures), but their maximum growth is very very limited.

Aye. You've got to save and find a way to use your capital rather than rely one that one income alone. Starting up your own pharmacy costs a hell of a lot too, though the turnover rate is pretty quick (2yrs in some cases I've heard).

Honoko
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
If there's anything I learned about so-called "career paths," it's that nothing is ever really set in stone and you're not automatically doomed if your current venture doesn't pan out exactly the way you envisioned it. Then again, this is advice from someone who got a degree in electrical engineering, then became a graphic designer, and is now back in school studying to become a psychotherapist (which would also explain my very long absence on these forums =P).

Basically, if you still don't know what the hell you're going to do with your life career-wise, no need to fret over it too much.

KitKat
Thu, 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Honokooooo! *hugs* I missed you! Welcome back!

And I second everything Honoko said (coming from the girl who got a degree in engineering physics and is now getting her masters in linguistics). Junior, I wouldn't worry about setting your goals too high. If anything, worry about setting your goals too low and not accomplishing what you want to in your life. I think that wanting a career that will help people is fantastic, and whichever area you choose to study, there will always be opportunities for you to volunteer. I would say, find something to study that you really want to study. If you don't know what you want to study, try a bunch of different things out, and talk to people who work in those fields. There's no shortage of ways for you to help other people, and in the end, the most valuable thing you can give to others is your time.

Junior
Fri, 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm really surprised Pharmacy is in such a demand. I didn't think you had to study THAT long for it. *considers it*

Hmm...well, I considered Mechanical engineering before I had the whole 'let's help people' thing. I mean, I'd like a job that was entertaining too. It looks like Civil engineering is serious business.

...looks like we don't have that programme here. Well, I'm not surprised. People don't care THAT much.

Then again, this is advice from someone who got a degree in electrical engineering, then became a graphic designer, and is now back in school studying to become a psychotherapist

So...you studied Electrical engineering and graphic desigining before you discovered you'd rather be a psychotherapist? Don't you feel like you wasted all that time? I'd be really upset. ^^;

Junior, I wouldn't worry about setting your goals too high. If anything, worry about setting your goals too low and not accomplishing what you want to in your life. I think that wanting a career that will help people is fantastic, and whichever area you choose to study, there will always be opportunities for you to volunteer. I would say, find something to study that you really want to study. If you don't know what you want to study, try a bunch of different things out, and talk to people who work in those fields. There's no shortage of ways for you to help other people, and in the end, the most valuable thing you can give to others is your time.

Thanks Kitkat, you're right! I should study something I really want to...or else work will be torture. And I might not end up doing my job properly if I'm unhappy.

Assertn
Fri, 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
if you really want to see how much more interested you are in helping other people out over your own interests, try taking up a job before pursuing a degree to see how you feel about it.

Something like driving an ambulance, perhaps? :p

Mugen
Fri, 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks for all the responses guys I don't feel so bad now that I see i'm not alone.. on another note, 6 weeks left till deadline and my portfolio is slowly coming along.... we'll see

Nadouku
Fri, 01-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Building up your résumé, eh? Good start. :D

My résumé is so empty because I haven't gotten much job experience... but maybe something will motivate me to find something exciting and worthwhile to do.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-16-2009, 10:52 PM
A portfolio is a lot more important that a CV (resume) for anyone seeking a position in art, graphic design, technical design, or even computer programming. For those kinds of positions, your interviewer really couldn't give a shit whether you worked 2 weeks at a McDonald's or 3 years at an internship within your field.

If your portfolio isn't a complete one (5-15 is adequate, but 20+ pieces is really good, if they are varied material even better), you don't stand a chance in hell.

Design-based employment wants to see what you can do, not whatever so-called qualifications or experience you claim to have. If your work isn't good, doesn't impress, why would they want you?

As for non-design careers, the CV is a lot more important, but who you present yourself and your attitude can actually mean a lot more. You can be the smartest person in the world, but if you're not a team player, not sociable, and have the wrong attitude, you won't be a productive inclusion to the company. Experience matters here. If you held an internship for two consecutive summers, that looks fantastic, but if you held a grocery store job for 5 years, that shows a commitment just as strong.

Generation Y has gotten itself a reputation for flaking out on jobs if they feel the slightest bit disatisfied, or after a year they feel they've gained enough "experience" at a full time job to deserve more pay somewhere else. I personally think this is mostly undeserved, just a few individuals ruining it for the rest of us (I knew two out of 10 guys under 30 in my department of 40). But employers see this everytime someone under 25 walks in their door. Breaking that perception can mean a lot.

Mugen
Fri, 01-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Building up your résumé, eh? Good start. :D

My résumé is so empty because I haven't gotten much job experience... but maybe something will motivate me to find something exciting and worthwhile to do.

It's an entrance portfolio for animation school, not job hunting just yet, then when i graduate i'll have a much better portfolio

Nadouku
Sat, 01-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Hmm, I see. I'm too lacklustered right now to even think about the differences between a portfolio and a résumé. Thanks for clarifications though Ryllharu.

I guess your entrance to animation might be a grand one, depending on what roads you take to succeed your career choice. Just make sure not to take too much courses and you'll do just fine.

Junior
Sat, 01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
if you really want to see how much more interested you are in helping other people out over your own interests, try taking up a job before pursuing a degree to see how you feel about it.

Something like driving an ambulance, perhaps? :p

..I just realized...what amazing idea that is. I can defy the rules of the road! AND help people.

That job was clearly meant for me.

It's an entrance portfolio for animation school, not job hunting just yet, then when i graduate i'll have a much better portfolio

I read how tough it is to get accepted and I hope you do well! It must be exciting...or at least fun. Quick question..do you feel like you're gambling a bit? Because it's very competitive to find work at all...

Although I'd totally understand. Doing a mediocore job would be torture.

Nadouku
Sat, 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Doing a mediocore job would be torture.

What kind of jobs would be mediocore to you?

To me, I would say jobs that work for hours and get the minimum wage as your payment.

Junior
Sat, 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM

To me, I would say jobs that work for hours and get the minimum wage as your payment.

Oh God yes. Like working at McDonald's or at the movies as the attendant. Or just...any normal job. Like office jobs. 9 to 5 in a cubicle? That must be horrible! :(

Mugen
Sat, 01-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Quick question..do you feel like you're gambling a bit? Because it's very competitive to find work at all...

not really, i'm more focused on improving then finding a job at this moment. I'm not really thinking of school as a step before getting a career, it's more for my own self improvement. After that, If i work hard, there should be art jobs available even if it's not related to animation.

animus
Sat, 01-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Working cashier is a nightmare. Though working retail in general is pretty terrible.

Honoko
Mon, 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM
So...you studied Electrical engineering and graphic desigining before you discovered you'd rather be a psychotherapist? Don't you feel like you wasted all that time? I'd be really upset. ^^;

Some people may view it as a waste of time; but it's easy to say stuff like that when not considering life's complexities. I can say personally that my life's road has led me to this next stage in my life. Sure, I wish I had figured this out earlier but at the same time, I wouldn't be nearly as effective or committed to this current endeavor had I figured this all out in, say, college. That's just part of growth.

Nothing's ever really set in stone, you know. For some, maybe they'll be "lucky" like that. And if I disregard life's complexities, I could easily make a blanket statement like, "well, those people must be utterly bored with their lives." Fortunately, though, I dislike blanket statements.

Nadouku
Mon, 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
True that you can't really view anything as wasteful in life because you just might need it again in a future project or change your course of action when life throws a brick at you, but planning ahead might help resolve those type of conflicts.

At the same time, life's not really making me have much of a choice. My career hasn't even been decided yet, but I do have plans that are set in motion. Hopefully, I will get the chance to exceed my normal daily dose of life.

darkshadow
Mon, 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
I actually burned one of my prior diploma's, cause I thought that course was huge waste of time and doesn't represent who I am and what I want to be in life. It was a waste and I don't want to have anything to do with it, as soon as I graduate from my current studies, I'm pulling the other one of my CV aswell :(

Assertn
Mon, 01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
public beta today! :]