Windows

Problem
Video hardware error

Date
09/01/2009 12:32 AM

Status
Not Reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20090109-0031.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 8428B2F0
BCP2: 8B613010
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

This (atleast i think its this) keeps happening quite often. All of a sudden my monitor will go blank, even though its on and th light is green. And the monitor lights keeps flashing, like every 2 seconds. The computer itself is keeps running fine. It seems to happen whenever something changes (like if i try to safely disconnect a usb device, soon as the window pops up, it goes blank) but recently its been happening randomly and more often.

I figured it was a monitor issue, but this thing says its a video hardware issue, so i dunno. Should i get a new monitor or a new video card?

ian_sanzo
Mon, 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
I think its the video card. if remember correctly my friend had that problem but since he is rich and owns a computer parts store, he changed his video card and he stopped getting that message.

Munsu
Mon, 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
This is just a guess, but I really doubt that monitors are the problem of many (if any) of these hardware errors in Windows. Try the monitor in a different computer and see if something happens... maybe at a friend's house or something.

David75
Mon, 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
First:
Check Connections. Screen/Video Card and Video card in slot.
Check power connections for the video card and mother board. You get my point, if you can check all of these little things, do it ;)

Nvidia card? Nvidia nforce? drivers and bios for the latter.

next is the harddrive... scandisk or better tool to seek for bad sectors.

I doubt the ram could be a problem, a memtest could tell more.

Back to square 1 with a different path: is the PSU ok? hard to tell most of the time. maybe with a cpu+gpu burn you could tell.

ian_sanzo
Mon, 01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I just asked my friend and since you said that the error is coming from your video card, he told me that i might be really your video card since that certain error from his PC disappeared after changing video cards.

Animeniax
Mon, 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
First:
Check power connections for the video card and mother board. You get my point, if you can check all of these little things, do it ;)

Back to square 1 with a different path: is the PSU ok? hard to tell most of the time. maybe with a cpu+gpu burn you could tell.
This is the stuff you should be checking.

Board of Command
Wed, 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Video card overheating?

12345p
Tue, 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM
First:

Few things to add: (and yes please, do it in the order listed) is before checking the power connections from the PSU to the mainboard/video card -

Excessive dust? Aberrant case screw? Grab a can of compressed air and/or point the open part of the case to the floor and give it a good shake. Then check the power connections from the PSU to the other various parts of the PC.

Then after checking the mainboard BIOS and driver updates, read up on your PSU and video card to make sure you've got the right amount of juice for your devices.

One more thing to consider is the answer to the following question:

"Are you a static electricity magnet?" It could simply be you're flooding you PC with static electricity when you reach down to grab that USB stick. Try "discharging" yourself first by placing your hand on the computer case.

I've been having that kind of problem lately. I green screened my work's vista machine because of static electricity. Zapped several others over the course of this winter season creating dark screens with green lights. Christ I even powered on a machine with static electricity.

as always, good luck and report back.