PDA

View Full Version : Help please

ian_sanzo
Mon, 01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
I have a video file that is 1024 x 768 resolution, how do I convert it to 700 x 640? Its actually an anime, and If Convert it to a smaller resolution are the subtitles going to be messed up?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Google a program called ripbot264 and play around with that. Hardsubs will be downsized in proportion to the video. Soft subs will be hardsubbed into your output file. You have no control over how it turns out. They look fine when I do them, but I've only converted 5XXp to 480p.

ian_sanzo
Mon, 01-12-2009, 04:21 AM
hardsubs and soft subs? can you tell me more about those two? What about the subtitles? are they going to be messed up?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
hardsubs and soft subs? can you tell me more about those two? What about the subtitles? are they going to be messed up?

Hard subs typically come in .avi format. They're encoded directly onto each frame. You can't turn them off.

Soft subs are .srt or similar files packaged commonly into .ogm, .mkv or .mp4 in the fansub community. You can turn these subs off, as they're overlayed onscreen as you watch them, not encoded to the actual video source.

I can't remember if the subs are messed up. I think the resultant file has slightly bigger font because of the automated handling, but since it's automated, I'm not sure it works the same for all resolutions. Just give it a try and see for yourself.

Psyke
Mon, 01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
You can try VirtualDub too. There are quite a few compression and filters which you can easily convert your video files, provided that you have the required codecs.

ian_sanzo
Mon, 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
thanks again! ill try it. I tried downloading the first one but it asked too many codes to be installed. And i got lazy because there was an ffdshow installed in my PC but it says that i dont have so i didnt bother installing it. Its good you gave me the virtualdub.

One last question, are the subtitles from that anime going to be messed up if i would convert to a lower resolution?