PDA

View Full Version : Book: The Audacity of Hope

Animeniax
Wed, 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm reading Barack Obama's second book, The Audacity of Hope. I wanted to see if this guy was for real or just a mock-up new face for the Democratic party appealing to anti-Bush voters. So far, he seems to be more than "the face of the new America", seems genuine and intelligent and well versed given his limited years in public service and his young age.

Excellent read, if you support a liberal Democrat view. I'm kind of on the fence so I take everything he says with a grain of salt, but he writes very fluidly and keeps things interesting with real life stories and anecdotes to elaborate on his points. Of course it's his book, so he makes himself out to be almost the perfect well-intentioned politician working in a corrupt system where he has to temper his vote and stances to appease his constituents. I think he believes everything he claims, but since he's a politician, you can't take everything at face value.

Might be a good read for anyone wondering what our new President's credentials.

Abdula
Thu, 01-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Started reading this awhile back, didn't finish it thought it was just too, too. Well this describes it perfectly
Of course it's his book, so he makes himself out to be almost the perfect well-intentioned politician working in a corrupt system where he has to temper his vote and stances to appease his constituents.
It should still be around here somewhere, I'll give it another go.

Sapphire
Thu, 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not reading this one yet, I started with Dreams From My Father, and I have to say his writing is extremely impressive.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm not reading this one yet, I started with Dreams From My Father, and I have to say his writing is extremely impressive.
Your post reminds me of when Chris Rock joked that he hates it when people give credit to Colin Powell for speaking well even though he's black.

I don't plan on reading Obama's first book. I don't think I will relate to the subject matter.