PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from?

Archangel
Tue, 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Making a poll with all the countries would obviously be impossible so i'll just make one with the continents.

if you can, please specify your country of origin in your post ( don't just vote; post )

Most people should already know, but i'm from Portugal

http://caramao.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/forca%20portugal1.JPG

Board of Command
Tue, 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
North America isn't an option...

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I like that the Americas are lumped together. I see..I see how it is...discrimination against the Western World from the Old World and the East. We may be uncivilized, barbaric savages, but we have feelings too!

As indicated to the immediate left below my avatar, I am from the United States.

By the way, isn't there some pushpin map feature web app we can utilize for more accurate regional details?

Nadouku
Tue, 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I come from the United States and from the central part of it. However, we're experiencing some cold spells, so most of the surroundings are pretty frozen.

Marik
Tue, 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I live in the United States of America, the city of Augusta, in the state of Georgia to be more specific. The Masters Golf Tournament starts three months from today, which means major traffic on Washington Road for me. :(

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Oceania->Australia-> State of Queensland-> Capital: Brisbane

A tad hot there, but we've been getting some breeze lately, which is always welcome.

I dare say Queensland, as a state, is the best tourist destination here, aside from other major cities. Our beef is awesome, and it's your only place to try kangaroo without excessive import premiums! :D

Telecommunications is expensive, but pretty reliable. Waiting lists are long, so either don't get sick, buy some hefty travel insurance, or bring a doctor! (Or, in a few years time, call Bill ;))

But being completely surrounded by water and having no land borders with neighbouring countries and stringent custom regulation means we're low on (disease)bugs like anything, so no prior vaccinations required.

None of those maggots that burrow into your brain, ya know. There are huge, bloodsucking horseflies that bite like a bitch though. But they're slow and noisy, just listen out for them and keep a boomerang ready.

Paper
Wed, 01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I live in the United States of America, the city of Augusta, in the state of Georgia to be more specific. The Masters Golf Tournament starts three months from today, which means major traffic on Washington Road for me. :(

Traffic sucks when golf tournaments hits. I heard georgia is a beautiful state and have nice size houses. A lot of my friends had moved there, but some moved back cause they said it's very hard to find a job there

I live in the USA the city of Lauderhill state of florida, orginally from NYC. Despite the winter season its pretty much sunny all the time long which can sucks from time to time. Just imagine it's rainging and the sun still shining and it's still hot wtf lol

6Zabuza9
Wed, 01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
america>canada->bc

Dark Dragon
Wed, 01-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Living in Houston > TX > USA

but I'm originally from Vietnam.

Kraco
Wed, 01-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Europe -> Nordic countries -> Finland.

We're experiencing our usual weather, so all of the surroundings are completely frozen.

Raven
Wed, 01-07-2009, 07:50 AM
You should come live in Victoria, Bill. We don't have any of the bad stuff you mentioned! ;)

It was nice and cool here today. Warm sun but a cool breeze, and no humidity.

rockmanj
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I live in South Korea now, in a suburb of Seoul, but originally from Chicago, Illinois, United States of America...and oddly enough, I miss the snow and cold there.

Been thinking about taking a trip to Portugal. I've been told its a beautiful and "fun" place to go ^__^.

Xelbair
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Poland, Gdańsk. Theoretically great touristic attraction(the whole tri-city, or trójmiasto as we call it here(Gdańsk-Sopot-Gdynia)), but it lacks major events. Anime conventions are usually on the southern or middle part of country.

Psyke
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Most of you already know I'm from Singapore. And Singapore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore) is not a district in China. I just learnt thru that wiki link that Singapore is the 5th wealthiest country in the world in terms of GDP (PPP) per capita. Yay. :)

rockmanj
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd be very surprised if there were African people on GW.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Living in Houston > TX > USA

but I'm originally from Vietnam.
Weird, same setup here, except I currently live in Iraq. And my family is from Vietnam, but I've only visited once and don't speak the language.

Archangel
Wed, 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I'd be very surprised if there were African people on GW.

Well my parents are from Africa, so i'll represent that continent.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
But you have already posted as a Portuguese, as I an Australian. No turning back now.

RyougaZell
Wed, 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Mexico....

Junior
Wed, 01-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Most of you already know I'm from Singapore. And Singapore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore) is not a district in China. I just learnt thru that wiki link that Singapore is the 5th wealthiest country in the world in terms of GDP (PPP) per capita. Yay. :)

My parents have visted there and they love it. Along with Hong Kong. I can't wait to visit it myself. =)

I like Gotwoot so much, I almost voted. But I try not to tell people my location. They tend not to believe me, or assume some rubbish that ends up annoying or upsetting me. =/

DB_Hunter
Wed, 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Didn't you already tell us once? Are we allowed to say what we think it is?

Junior
Wed, 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Didn't you already tell us once? Are we allowed to say what we think it is?

oh wow! Did I really tell you guys here? I've only said it out in the open on one forum but that was years ago.

...well, I can't remember...so yeah, what do you think it is? I know I revealed my currency.

David75
Wed, 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Europe>France>Paris>Montmartre
Well the surrondings are frozen here, but it's quite rare it happens.

As for my origins, this is quite a melting pot from Portugal to Germany, Portugal from my mother.
France from my fater, Spain and Germany from my grandma etc...

Portugal is a nice country, sadly everything turned quite expensive for the service compared to the french rivieira, at least as of 2003 the last time I've been there. Over the 15 times I've been there, the country got to learn what loans are, they got equiped, and I think they know now what a subprime is... I guess that more loans=higher prices was a rule of thumb that worked quite a bit there.

As for France?
Well, France has its good sides if you're a tourist and do not need to work there, at least not if you have to work for a living. (well if you don't need to work to live, then you can probably live anywhere...)

Other than that, I'm quite sick of the life we have here.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
oh wow! Did I really tell you guys here? I've only said it out in the open on one forum but that was years ago.

...well, I can't remember...so yeah, what do you think it is? I know I revealed my currency.

OMG I was just reminded I gotta start learning Japanese again. I bought that damn programme so I might as well use it. (Cost me 500 bucks too...)

Sadly I have it on the backlog.

I bought Nocturne, DDS, DDS2, Devil Summoner, Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES together for 200 dollar. Then I sold my extra Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES for a 100.

I am halfway through Nocturne, so I'll probably won't be playing DS for a while.

...WHAT. For 200?! Crazy.

Other than "bucks" and recognising 200 dollars is a good deal, I can't see any clues. What cultures use "bucks"?

Edit: wait....Zell, you're from mexico. What currency do they use?
Edit2: Peso...

RyougaZell
Wed, 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Mexican Pesos

*revives*

It's been released. Anyone buy it yet? Details please?

I need to wait for the PAL version...D:

PAL... PAL... PAL...

KitKat
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I think Junior's spelling of "programme" is more revealing. That's a British English spelling, suggesting that Junior is likely from Canada, the UK, or somewhere else that uses British rather than American English as the standard. However, she used 'color' instead of 'colour' in another thread, so I'd say probably Canada for the mixed usage of British and American.

As for me, I'm currently living in Vancouver, but that will likely change soon. I tend to move every 6-8 months.

Kraco
Thu, 01-08-2009, 03:11 AM
However, she used 'color' instead of 'colour' in another thread, so I'd say probably Canada for the mixed usage of British and American.

That makes no sense whatsoever. She didn't name the country because supposedly people wouldn't believe her or would be grossly misinformed about it. Canada hardly sounds like a probable location of origin for such misgivings.

If you believe Wikipedia, a currency called dollar is in use in a variety of places, and some of them might fulfill the condition Junior presented as being considered either unlikely or people would know nothing about it. That is, if those quotes were the correct ones, and she's simply not referring to making online purchases from American net stores.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM
There's way too many countries using the "dollar" to make an intelligent guess. Do mods have access to the forum logs? We can always do a whois search on her IP.

Kraco
Thu, 01-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Do mods have access to the forum logs? We can always do a whois search on her IP.

9. No posting of other people's personal information without their permission

No can do.

DB_Hunter
Thu, 01-08-2009, 08:14 AM

I think its mexico. that or somewhere in south america. I remember you telling us some story about a fake kidnapping or something.

As for myself, im from the UK.

Of Pakistani heritage,

Descended from Palestinian/Syrian ancestors.

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Wow, you guys are so observant. And good at analyzing. ^^;

Alright, here I go...

Other than "bucks" and recognising 200 dollars is a good deal, I can't see any clues. What cultures use "bucks"?

I got that slang from my Mother who's Mother is European. (Sorry, but my slang and such isn't a good thing to compare since people here think I'm a foreigner. ^^; )
Well...that and to order things on the net, I gotta know my $.

I think Junior's spelling of "programme" is more revealing. That's a British English spelling, suggesting that Junior is likely from Canada, the UK, or somewhere else that uses British rather than American English as the standard. However, she used 'color' instead of 'colour' in another thread, so I'd say probably Canada for the mixed usage of British and American.

You're so clever KitKat! 'Colour' is actually the correct spelling here.(I just...change constantly)
But yes, we do use British spelling here. =)

Do mods have access to the forum logs? We can always do a whois search on her IP.

I once knew a mod on a forum that did that because he didn't believe me when I told him.

*sigh* You know, it isn't such a big thing, but people have a hard time believing we have technology here and live like normal people. (Bolded for effect. Yes.)

(On a side note, my dad's friend who came to visit from over seas said he couldn't believe how 'normal' we are. He expected animals to be roaming everywhere and for us to be living in huts with our pet lions) *le sigh*

I think I might have said too much

Xrlderek
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Europe>Norway

Xelbair
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
When i said on WoW that i was from Poland people didn't believe me that we have electricy here...
I guess - New Zeland, but one thing does not fit here(the one bolded for effect - its pretty obvious to that country), they use dollars, it was if i remember correctly British colony.

Kraco
Thu, 01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
(On a side note, my dad's friend who came to visit from over seas said he couldn't believe how 'normal' we are. He expected animals to be roaming everywhere and for us to be living in huts with our pet lions) *le sigh*

That colourful description can't mean anything but Africa. India used to have lions but the Brits turned them all into pelts before the fireplaces. Probably eastern or southern Africa, because most of the lions live there, as far as I know.

RyougaZell
Thu, 01-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, you guys are so observant. And good at analyzing. ^^;

Alright, here I go...

[/SIZE]

Are they? Hehehe

After you said you needed to wait for a PAL version of a game they insist on suggesting Canada, Mexico or South America. Hehehe

Doesn't really matter from where you are. Cool people is cool wherever they live. And if they think less of you from where you are its their loss. I know about that. Been there. I've been told off in several places because of 'age' and because of being mexican. I just laugh at them :D

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
That colourful description can't mean anything but Africa. India used to have lions but the Brits turned them all into pelts before the fireplaces. Probably eastern or southern Africa, because most of the lions live there, as far as I know.

Bingo! You're correct! One of those areas. (Feels like a "Guess the country!" game)

If you guys guess correctly, then I didn't really tell you. So...all's good. I guess. =)

After you said you needed to wait for a PAL version of a game they insist on suggesting Canada, Mexico or South America. Hehehe.

Doesn't really matter from where you are. Cool people is cool wherever they live. And if they think less of you from where you are its their loss. I know about that. Been there. I've been told off in several places because of 'age' and because of being mexican. I just laugh at them

Well, we use PAL here but not any of those countries. XD

Thanks RZ. =) But people can be ridiculously ignorant or just plain...weird.(I remember I told a friend and he was like: "Really? You don't look like you are of that descent. Are you lying?"
...although, I don't think I should worry too much about GotWoot. I personally feel you guys could care less where I'm from. :o

David75
Thu, 01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
South Africa?
funny that my frenchy french woman of wife almost had a job there... when she doesn't know any other language than french (I can even say language from burgundy, the region from France she comes from)

Hard to tell the image we get from SA, it beetween the apartheid, the black guy fighthing for justice out of jail, guns and criminality etc... stereotypes I guess.

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
South Africa?
funny that my frenchy french woman of wife almost had a job there... when she doesn't know any other language than french (I can even say language from burgundy, the region from France she comes from)

Hard to tell the image we get from SA, it beetween the apartheid, the black guy fighthing for justice out of jail, guns and criminality etc... stereotypes I guess.

Awesome! You know there's life here then!

Well, that's pretty much this place summed up.(especially black guy fighting for justice XD) And bravo for knowing about the Apartheid! =) That was the worst thing this country ever went through. That, and our last president...

Kraco
Thu, 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
SA... So, the dollar thing was misleading.

Although I never viewed South-Africa as particularly underdeveloped, so that surely was misleading me majorly.

saman
Thu, 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
i knew a girl from south africa in high school. she would have a canadian accent when she was here, but whenever she went to SA she would come back with the south african accent.

i never thought of south africa as underdeveloped either. i was thinking more along the lines of like...iceland. or the canadian territories

KitKat
Thu, 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
That makes no sense whatsoever. She didn't name the country because supposedly people wouldn't believe her or would be grossly misinformed about it. Canada hardly sounds like a probable location of origin for such misgivings.

*shrugs* It was a linguistic observation only. Statistically, Canadians are the worst culprits for mixing together their British and American spellings, and being completely inconsistent about the way they use them.

Junior, I wouldn't be worried about saying where you're from. South Africa is a seriously cool place. People who see Africa as starving children, mud huts, and roaming lions reveal only their own ignorance. I have a number of friends from assorted African countries, and the principal of my high school was from South Africa. All very motivated and intelligent people. You've proven yourself on this forum to be the same. Telling us where you're from doesn't change who you are.

Abdula
Thu, 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Ha she is from South Africa and she thinks its underdeveloped. When I was younger most of the people where I grew up lived in wooden shacks, in what is best described as the jungle and you can forget about internet, you'd be lucky to have indoor plumbing. Now that is underdeveloped.

Its amazing how the place has changed in the last decade or so.

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Ha she is from South Africa and she thinks its underdeveloped. When I was younger most of the people where I grew up lived in wooden shacks, in what is best described as the jungle and you can forget about internet, you'd be lucky to have indoor plumbing. Now that is underdeveloped.

Its amazing how the place has changed in the last decade or so.

Do you know how many people live like that here? Just down my road, there are shacks. People who use fire to cook and have no indoor plumbing. If you drive to town, there are just shacks on the side of the road. Hundreds. Apparently, more that 50% of our country is unemployed.

Poverty is really not funny. I've seen it in real life.

Junior, I wouldn't be worried about saying where you're from. South Africa is a seriously cool place. People who see Africa as starving children, mud huts, and roaming lions reveal only their own ignorance. I have a number of friends from assorted African countries, and the principal of my high school was from South Africa. All very motivated and intelligent people. You've proven yourself on this forum to be the same. Telling us where you're from doesn't change who you are.

Thanks KitKat! :o That really means a lot. I shouldn't have worried with GotWoot. Everyone here are all from different places too.

i knew a girl from south africa in high school. she would have a canadian accent when she was here, but whenever she went to SA she would come back with the south african accent.

Hahahaha, you've heard the accent? For real? Isn't it absolutely horrible? We must have one of the worst accents ever. but it's so funny, you have to laugh at yourself. Our culture here can be really fun and laid-back. It's one of the things I've always enjoyed.

Oh hey, guys...where'd I say I felt this place was under-developed anyway? Guess I wrote before I thought... :D

DB_Hunter
Thu, 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
You from South Africa? SA... I guess based on initials I was close with South America.

I've known a couple of South African people at work, who were of dutch descent. One was a lady manager who was nice (only 1 out 2 managers in the entire division that I actually liked and respected). She was pretty cool.

Another dude I worked with was funny. He said asked one indian guy at work 'Have you ever been to india' and the guy said no, to which the SA guy responded 'Well you should go back and visit the place just in case you ever get kicked out of the UK and have to go back'. Needless to say that had the entire room cracking up in laughter and disbelief.

Like KitKat, I'd say don't have a chip on your shoulder about poverty in your country. If anything it gives you an insight in to the real problems in the world today, something which a lot of kids in richer parts of the world don't appreciate. And besides, a person's worth is determined by their character and the choices they make. So basically, the most important thing in your life is always going to be in your control, no matter where you are and how rich or poor you get in your life.

So just chill :).

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
You from South Africa? SA... I guess based on initials I was close with South America.

I've known a couple of South African people at work, who were of dutch descent. One was a lady manager who was nice (only 1 out 2 managers in the entire division that I actually liked and respected). She was pretty cool.

Another dude I worked with was funny. He said asked one indian guy at work 'Have you ever been to india' and the guy said no, to which the SA guy responded 'Well you should go back and visit the place just in case you ever get kicked out of the UK and have to go back'. Needless to say that had the entire room cracking up in laughter and disbelief.

Like KitKat, I'd say don't have a chip on your shoulder about poverty in your country. If anything it gives you an insight in to the real problems in the world today, something which a lot of kids in richer parts of the world don't appreciate. And besides, a person's worth is determined by their character and the choices they make. So basically, the most important thing in your life is always going to be in your control, no matter where you are and how rich or poor you get in your life.

So just chill :).

Wow DB. Do you ever have any Non-Wise days? (and that joke really is funny)

And you're right. living here really has made me appreciate things in life a lot more, I guess. :o You guys are really great. Thanks. =)

Side note, I really hope this country picks up. This new Black Empowerment thing is messing things up. It's racism all over again. Except reversed.

Abdula
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Do you know how many people live like that here? Just down my road, there are shacks. People who use fire to cook and have no indoor plumbing. If you drive to town, there are just shacks on the side of the road. Hundreds. Apparently, more that 50% of our country is unemployed.

Poverty is really not funny. I've seen it in real life.
Mildly off topic but this thread is way off topic already. This made me laugh.

Can't say I know many South Africans, I've met maybe 2 or 3 and certainly none of them are embarrassed about it.

Btw what is with the stupid choices in the poll. I'm from the Caribbean what am I supposed to pick, America?:rolleyes: :p

Junior
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

And can't say I know many South Africans, I've met maybe 2 or 3 and certainly none of them are embarrassed about it.

Abby, shut up for 2 minutes. I don't give out my location because people ASSUME absolute nonsense about it and I don't care much to convince them we actually have civilisation. I mean, what? Am I using the internet on some mountain peak with my laptop made from stone?

Come on, Abby. Don't be so serious. =)

DB_Hunter
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM
You have a laptop made of stone??? OMG Haxxor!!!

Munsu
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM

Can't say I know many South Africans, I've met maybe 2 or 3 and certainly none of them are embarrassed about it.

Btw what is with the stupid choices in the poll. I'm from the Caribbean what am I supposed to pick, America?:rolleyes: :p
Seems like the safest choice. If it were me, I would've made the choices (North, South, East, and West) and let everyone figure it out by themselves.

Archangel
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Just go for America Abdula

There aren't that many people from south america around here anyway.

Inazuma
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Europe -> France -> Paris.

I should be representing Africa as well but already voted.

Munsu
Thu, 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Just go for America Abdula

There aren't that many people from south america around here anyway.
More than Africa for sure.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
i knew a girl from south africa in high school.

Same case here. She was in the grade above mine, and totally hot. :D

She had an accent which I can't remember exactly anymore, so no telling if it's SA or otherwise.

Kakashi_Solo
Thu, 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm from Wales... show of hands who knows where that is without looking at some form of map or Googling it :p

DB_Hunter
Thu, 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm from Wales... show of hands who knows where that is without looking at some form of map or Googling it :p

Sheep country.

RyougaZell
Thu, 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
An underwater city ruled by Whales?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM

My geography's rusty, but I believe it's east of England? Together with Scotland to the north, they make up what we now know as Great Britain.

I'm wrong somewhere, aren't I :p

(Ireland's towards the west of all this, but I can't remember anymore if it's part of the UK)

Lucifus
Thu, 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
United States>Florida>St Petersburg

Originally Carribean Islands>Jamaica

Gotta say, Jamaica was an amazing place to live, long as you have the cash.
And internet. The greatest treasure I discovered after relocating to the states.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM

It's a part of a larger (though still small) country where even if you can speak the de facto official language, but you'll find a quarter of the people who don't understand you well, and another quarter of the people who pretend they can't understand you at all.

It's a lot like Miami in the US. But colder, wetter (debatable), and has fewer celebrity scandals.

...Or Quebec, but warmer, a lot less snow, and more celebrity scandals.

Back to topic:

Since everyone else is being more specific, I am from New England. North Eastern Seaboard, US.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Weird, same setup here, except I currently live in Iraq. And my family is from Vietnam, but I've only visited once and don't speak the language.

It's not really that weird considering that the majority of Vietnamese tend to either end up here or in California.

I was gonna go with the magical made up country where Negi Springfield come from but this also works.

oh and did someone seriously neg rep me for stating my country of origin?

Animeniax
Thu, 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
It's not really that weird considering that the majority of Vietnamese tend to either end up here or in California.
Yeah but how many Vietnamese from Houston end up on gotwoot?? DUN DUN DUNNNNN....

Sandldan
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:35 AM
Europe -> Scandinavia -> Finland.

Currently there's snow everywhere, hoping it will melt asap as my military service starts on Monday :rolleyes:

Kraco
Fri, 01-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Europe -> Scandinavia -> Finland.

Currently there's snow everywhere, hoping it will melt asap as my military service starts on Monday :rolleyes:

Haha. Good luck. May your mornings break you.

Xelbair
Fri, 01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I do know where it is without looking at map or googling.

Kakashi_Solo
Fri, 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Sheep country.

If you were going for the negative stereotype :p

I've actually had that said to me before... :rolleyes:

My geography's rusty, but I believe it's east of England? Together with Scotland to the north, they make up what we now know as Great Britain.

I'm wrong somewhere, aren't I :p

(Ireland's towards the west of all this, but I can't remember anymore if it's part of the UK)

Theres England in the East. Wales in the West. Then going further to the West is Ireland ;)

It's a part of a larger (though still small) country where even if you can speak the de facto official language, but you'll find a quarter of the people who don't understand you well, and another quarter of the people who pretend they can't understand you at all.

It's a lot like Miami in the US. But colder, wetter (debatable), and has fewer celebrity scandals.

...Or Quebec, but warmer, a lot less snow, and more celebrity scandals.

Yeah and there all in the South of Wales. I'm lucky enough to be born in the North and know the language :eek:

KitKat
Fri, 01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Wales is a gorgeous area. When I was travelling I spent a few days in Cardiff, and then later came back and stayed a few days in Llandudno in the north. I went and saw a Welsh Male Voice Choir, which is apparently very traditional in Wales, but I was the only person under 60 that attended. Next time I need to find a more happenin' place to visit.

Incidentally, Welsh is actually very interesting from a linguistic point of view, because it illustrates how strategic language planning on behalf of a government can take a nearly dead language and revive it.

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
t I currently live in Iraq. .

I thought you were in the far east, more to the asian side.

I hale from Dallas, Texas, United States

DB_Hunter
Fri, 01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Wales is a gorgeous area. When I was travelling I spent a few days in Cardiff, and then later came back and stayed a few days in Llandudno in the north. I went and saw a Welsh Male Voice Choir, which is apparently very traditional in Wales, but I was the only person under 60 that attended. Next time I need to find a more happenin' place to visit.

Incidentally, Welsh is actually very interesting from a linguistic point of view, because it illustrates how strategic language planning on behalf of a government can take a nearly dead language and revive it.

Speaking of travelling, I was thinking of making a trip to Canada. What are good places to go to?

XanBcoo
Fri, 01-09-2009, 02:39 PM
A lot more Texans in this here forum than I realized.

We should totally have a Gotwoot meetup.

saman
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Speaking of travelling, I was thinking of making a trip to Canada. What are good places to go to?

in terms of stuff to do, toronto, montreal, and vancouver are the best. in terms of scenery, the atlantic provinces such as nova scotia and newfoundland (<_< >_>) are the best. it does also depend which part of the year you visit in. if you come during the winter, the former three locations are the only acceptable options, because there's pretty much nothing to look at in the atlantic provinces except for snow, and everywhere else is just really, really cold. if you come during the summer, the former three are nice, but the atlantic scenery is gorgeous. the prairie provinces like alberta and saskatchewan are great to raise a family in, but from a sightseeing standpoint, there's really not much to do there.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I thought you were in the far east, more to the asian side.

He's just working there. He's of Vietnamese blood.

DB_Hunter
Fri, 01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
in terms of stuff to do, toronto, montreal, and vancouver are the best. in terms of scenery, the atlantic provinces such as nova scotia and newfoundland (<_< >_>) are the best. it does also depend which part of the year you visit in. if you come during the winter, the former three locations are the only acceptable options, because there's pretty much nothing to look at in the atlantic provinces except for snow, and everywhere else is just really, really cold. if you come during the summer, the former three are nice, but the atlantic scenery is gorgeous. the prairie provinces like alberta and saskatchewan are great to raise a family in, but from a sightseeing standpoint, there's really not much to do there.
lol saman thanks for the info and the family planning advice! I thought you were in the US, not Canada?

I might pop round fairly soon. It's either Canada or some Mid-East country like Turkey, Morroco etc.

saman
Fri, 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM
lol nah, canadian born and bred. i've never been to the states. and i grew up in saskatchewan, so i spoke from experience :)

DB_Hunter
Fri, 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
OK so if I said I'm coming next month, what would be a good place to go?

saman
Fri, 01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
next month? toronto or montreal, and maybe not even montreal. everywhere else will probably either be getting -40 degree temperatures, or insane snowstorms. coming to canada in the winter is kinda not a good idea lol. it's like going to pakistan in july.

DB_Hunter
Fri, 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you saman. That last line crystalised the opposite of a devastating summer for my brain.

saman
Fri, 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
haha okay, it's not quite that bad. it's just not the ideal time for sightseeing, especially if you're not used to cold weather.

i still haven't answered this poll, because i don't know whether to pick asia or america. they're both such vital parts of my identity :S

Abdula
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
i still haven't answered this poll, because i don't know whether to pick asia or america. they're both such vital parts of my identity :S

canadian born and bred.
That pretty much answers your question

saman
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM
no, well, i also spent ten years of my childhood in pakistan. so i guess i should've said i half grew up in saskatchewan and half in pakistan

DB_Hunter
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:14 PM
no, well, i also spent ten years of my childhood in pakistan. so i guess i should've said i half grew up in saskatchewan and half in pakistan
Yeah I'm in a similar dilemma. Went to Pakistan when I was 5 and spent four years there.

I guess if this a geographic question only then I'm as stumped as you are.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Archie phrased it as country of origin. I suppose from a technical standpoint, that would mean your country of birth. However, most have opted to go for current residency, which is probably what Archie intended.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Origin for me would be Hong Kong then. From a cultural standpoint, it's a bit ambiguous for me too. I came over when I was a toddler, and have stayed in Australia since. aside from 2-3 trips back for a month each time. But since around grade 7, I've been watching Hong Kong satellite TV pretty much exclusively. My Chinese is fine, but I'm still more fluent in English, and that shows when I'm writing an essay.

When asked with the intent of knowing my ethnic background, I say I'm from Hong Kong, and I'm Chinese. However, if it's an answer about nationality (not just legally, aka passport issuer, but what you identify yourself as), I'm Australian.

Archangel
Sat, 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Archie phrased it as country of origin. I suppose from a technical standpoint, that would mean your country of birth. However, most have opted to go for current residency, which is probably what Archie intended.

Bingo, i didn't really consider that some may have moved.

I was expecting more people from Asia, but it seem Europe and America rule upon gotwoot.

dragonrage
Sat, 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM
NYC, melting pot of the world....Don't think there is more to say.

Kakashi_Solo
Sun, 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM

When did you come here? I live on Anglesey, which is about 25 minutes away from Llandudno. And yeah its not the most lively place around :p

This probably sounds bad coming from me but I cant stand the male voice choir's. There just something for the old guys to do while their wifes watch them :rolleyes:

The way that how some places in Wales speak English and some dont is actually interesting. In Pembrokeshire, because of how it was in the 14 and 1500's around half that county is a proper Welsh country, but the other half is like somewhere from the english midlands. OK I'm done boring you guys now :P

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:57 PM
"I'm from Holland, where the f*ck you from!?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzOzUHYwPms) :p
Little country in Europe, The Netherlands, in the province Zuid-Holland (South-Holland) in the city of Den Haag (The Hague). I've also lived in Rotterdam for 10 years. Both cities are a hard living for a racist.. :rolleyes:

My parents are from Aruba. I have dutch, dominican and native american blood running through my veins.