PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler tags

Archangel
Sun, 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
This came to mind while posting in the Fate/Stay Night thread:

- Why doesn't this forum have spoiler tags?

You know what i'm talking about right? Those buttons that hide information.

When discussing routes than not everyone has played you only have the option to only hint the information you want to pass to the ones who have played it ( hurting the discussion ) or use white on the text after signaling with a spoiler alert ( which looks dumb and unreliable )

Wouldn't spoiler tags be an healthy addition to the forum? We would still keep the no spoilers no matter what rule on the naruto, bleach and one piece forums but they would come in handy for these special cases.

Nadouku
Sun, 01-04-2009, 02:29 PM
The only closest thing to "spoiler tags" are outlining your words in white, and putting , around it or something that tells the reader "it's a spoiler". Other than that, I guess complich8 or Munsu can directly answer your question.

Munsu
Sun, 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
There are no spoiler tags because there shouldn't be ANY spoilers in this forum anyways. Plus I hate spoiler tags.

Archangel
Sun, 01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Like i said, there are special occasions when they would come in handy

It's a simple way for members who do know certain spoilers to communicate with others who also do without ruining anything for anyone

darkshadow
Sun, 01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Uhm, the rules say:

In sum, a spoiler is:
Any form of information that has not yet been mentioned in the anime, regardless of source.

Any such form from an anime episode that has not yet been subbed (in english)

If this would be applied to games, discussion of games would then ofcourse be impossible.
Also spoiler tags are usefull for collapsing the occasional wall of text some users produce or for collapsing pictures that would normally be too big for the layout.

David75
Sun, 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Like i said, there are special occasions when they would come in handy

It's a simple way for members who do know certain spoilers to communicate with others who also do without ruining anything for anyone

MPs...

I asked the same question in the past.
You can live without spoiler tags or roundabouts... you can try to be more elaborate in the ways you write, you have to be more precise in what you've seen in the anime. All in all you have to care about quality.
Plus spoilers tend to be useless in some shows that aren't strictly following the anime.

Other than quality, there's respect for people who don't read manga or didn"t read the one related to the thread. Respect is at least at two levels there:
-Don't spoil people
-Don't openly exclude people with spoiler tags, it's actually very rude if you think about it for a while.

Then, it's also a lot cleaner without those tags everywhere.

You can always rant about it, there are multiple forums on the internet, that one follows those rules, and does quite well don't you think?

Don't worry, some day you may also spread the words of wisdom (evilish grin)

darkshadow
Sun, 01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
if you actually read his post, you will see that it actually had nothing to do with manga, his second paragraph was just something that would spawn from this suggestion.
Him asking for a spoiler tag is in relation to a game

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Full Disclosure: I am sure that I have used the improvised spoiler tags in an anime/manga thread.

I do think that they are useful in game threads, where there isn't any expected completion date as there is with anime. You can download the episode, and if you go into the thread or read a blog before watching it, it is your own fault, as others had plenty of time to watch. Games are a much larger time commitment (the one that brought up this topic in particular) so I can see where they have their uses.

That said, despite not practicing what I am about to preach as well as I should, I fully support Gotwoot's lack of proper spoiler tags.

- It encourages the practice of regularly inserting spoilers into posts.
- During the editing process, tags can be partially deleted or neglected to be closed (I do it all the time with the bold tag) and then there's spoilers exposed to the world. The only difference is now it, "wasn't a conscious effort to accidentally fuck up my spoiler tag." Which is wrong of course, since the spoiler was written in there in the first place.
- Having a strict No Spoilers policy is simply a lot more effective than relying on tags.

With Fate/Stay Night (game only), I can see why it would be tolerated. Despite the game now fully being translated, a lot of people are interested in completing it, are in the process of completing it, or are only picking it up now, so those who have finished it cannot really openly discuss it. Simply due to the difference in the length of time it may take a person to complete it, it becomes a necessity.

But there should be only discouragement of spoilers everywhere else in the forum.

-Don't openly exclude people with spoiler tags, it's actually very rude if you think about it for a while.
I actually did this with two other users in another forum (that had spoiler tags) for NANA. We were manga readers, no one else was. Totally killed all discussion other than the three of us. A mod eventually split the thread into manga and anime threads, but no one ever came back to the anime thread.

Archangel
Sun, 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
You can live without spoiler tags or roundabouts... you can try to be more elaborate in the ways you write, you have to be more precise in what you've seen in the anime. All in all you have to care about quality.
Plus spoilers tend to be useless in some shows that aren't strictly following the anime.
Then, it's also a lot cleaner without those tags everywhere.

Like i said, if they were indeed added to the forum that wouldn't change the fact that any kind of spoiler, with tags or not, would still be banned from the anime threads.

They should also be banned from sigs, the miles and miles of spoiler tags some people on other forums add to theirs is down right annoying.

That said, despite not practicing what I am about to preach as well as I should, I fully support Gotwoot's lack of proper spoiler tags.

- It encourages the practice of regularly inserting spoilers into posts.
- During the editing process, tags can be partially deleted or neglected to be closed (I do it all the time with the bold tag) and then there's spoilers exposed to the world. The only difference is now it, "wasn't a conscious effort to accidentally fuck up my spoiler tag." Which is wrong of course, since the spoiler was written in there in the first place.
- Having a strict No Spoilers policy is simply a lot more effective than relying on tags.

Any encouragement would be quickly dealt with by a warning from the mods, and we don't really have enough "new" members for that to be a problem.

I for one usually read a post after writing it ( for grammar errors and such ), so for anyone to actually catch a glimpse of my error they would ahve to be quite quick with the refresh button. Besides, that just means you would have to be a little careful while using them.

Again, there are special cases.

It would be perfect if they could be effectively banned from the anime sections of the forum as not to encourage anything.

Kraco
Sun, 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM
According to my experience, spoiler tags kill threads for everybody but those who know absolutely everything from every source, Japanese only sources included. Thus, I fully support no spoiler tags. I used to frequent one forum with a very established spoiler tag use, and it drove me nearly crazy. You never knew what's inside them, yet because they were enabled, people felt like they should put everything but "It was a good episode." or "It was a bad episode." inside them. And thus if you wanted to see any real discussion, you needed to look inside them, yet as often as not it was some bloody manga/game information that greeted your eyes.

The FSN example is kind of hypothetical because it would only be really significant if another version of the anime ever appeared, which I highly doubt. And Bud in the past already made an effort to remove game talk from anime thread anyway (I think it was Bud). And for the game thread, the same rule applies to it as anything: All three routes are available in English, so they are free to be talked with no worries. The situation is analogous to deciding to watch some old show, and foolishly spoiling yourself with the discussion thread.

Archangel
Mon, 01-05-2009, 06:24 AM
Then, according to your example, the spiler tags would also be very useful in the soon to come new version of the anime Full Metal Alchemist.

Munsu
Mon, 01-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Then, according to your example, the spiler tags would also be very useful in the soon to come new version of the anime Full Metal Alchemist.
No.

Again, there should be ZERO spoiler discussions even if hidden by spoiler tags.

In all spoiler tags are a complete piece of shit regardless of its usefulness in certain particular unfrequent situations.

If you're so fond of spoiler tags, I suggest you go and discuss over at animesuki. They love those tags there.

masamuneehs
Wed, 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM
it is quite simple. There are four main forms of what GotWoot is based around:

-simple text-
-manga (text plus image)-
-anime- (image plus sound, and if subbed, text)-
-game- ditto the above

GotWoot, however, is divided into three areas
-anime-
-manga-
-all else-

Therefore, discussion of an anime shouldn't be spoiled by spoilers from the manga, since those manga bits should all be discussed solely in the confines of the manga section. Despite how long ago a manga chapter might have been published, inserting spoilers from it into discussion of an anime that has yet to reach that point is, quite simply, a clod-like move.

It is quite easy to comment solely on an anime without discussing the manga.

Recently an anime version of Tales of the Abyss was made out of the video game. As such, the game was considered as seperate from the anime as if it were a manga series. This would, I'd argue and vote for, serve as precedent for any definition of spoiler

"If it hasn't yet happened in an English version of the MATERIAL BEING DISCUSSED, it's a fucking spoiler"

As such, me spouting stuff about the end of the Harry Potter books, the end of Code Geass R2, or the unsubbed episode of Casshern Sins I caught on Japan TV last night in this thread count as spoilers. Because this is not a thread about the Harry Potter books or those animes.

However, being the devil's advocate I always am, I would like to once again ask for an official description about links to spoilers. Because, after all, there is often discussion in the Gundam sections about things only released on the Gundam websites (including shots of future mechs, bios (often in Japanese) about characters yet to appear in the anime) etc.

However, again, I would also mention that properly labeling these links as to warn people about what they might find if they click on them can quite easily be done without requiring a spoiler tag, which, in sum, I think is a thing this forum can do without.