PDA

View Full Version : Issue with .mkv

salmonman78
Thu, 12-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Wondering how to turn off subtitles in a .mkv file. Read somewhere it was possible, cause its dubbed and the subtitles are annoying the crap outta me. Hope someone can send me in the right direction

*edit* well discovered that in Windows Media player it plays the dub with no subtitles. But in Divx its coming up with the subtitles automatically. Wanting to convert to avi so thats why I'm askin.

darkshadow
Thu, 12-25-2008, 01:13 PM
uhm, in your player you should be able to turn of subtitles, like right click -> subtitles or something. Otherwise if you have it installed, click on the little green arrow that pops up in the icons next to the clock, thats called vsfilter, rightclick on it and disable the subs.

If you dont have that however, the option HAS to be in your player.

Something else you can do if you want to go that extreme, is download mkvmerge gui, add the .mkv, and deselect the subtitle file, then select start muxing, and it will generate a new .mkv, without the subtitle.

KrayZ33
Thu, 12-25-2008, 04:51 PM
it should look something like this

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8555/neubitmapnx7.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=neubitmapnx7.jpg)

I'm pretty sure you can turn it on/off with every player, that is if the subtitle/dubbing *is* changeable...

if it's not you have to do it the extreme way like darkshadow posted... (for example when it's dubbed in english but has polish subtitles or so...)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Wondering how to turn off subtitles in a .mkv file. Read somewhere it was possible, cause its dubbed and the subtitles are annoying the crap outta me. Hope someone can send me in the right direction

Well, I think this part's answered sufficiently enough. Just dig around in your player for it. Post your player and version if you still have trouble.

*edit* well discovered that in Windows Media player it plays the dub with no subtitles. But in Divx its coming up with the subtitles automatically. Wanting to convert to avi so thats why I'm askin.

To my (shallow) knowledge, the avi format doesn't support soft subs, and any anime you download in .avi are hard-subbed into the actual picture. If you're converting the mkv into avi and it's still got subtitles, that means one of two things:

1) Your mkv file has the subs burned into the picture. You won't be able to remove that.

2) Your conversion software is decoding the streams of your original files (video, audio, subtitle streams), and the option is selected to hard-encode the .srt sub (or .ass) into the video as it's converting. You should be able to disable this somewhere.

Edit:

But in Divx its coming up with the subtitles automatically

Does "Divx" refer to the Divx player you're playing the mkv in (if that's possible), or as in the "divx" codec, as in you've already converted the mkv to avi, and the resultant file has subs on screen?

salmonman78
Thu, 12-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks guys, took me a few to find the Gui but then realized I had found it the first page I looked at(link was called something else). Appreciate your help

I use winAVI to convert, runs fast and does a great job, now just gotta run the mkv's through the GUi if they're dubbed.