PDA

View Full Version : Movie: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Munsu
Mon, 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Here's a bootleg trailer:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/xmen-origins-wolverine/bootleg-trailer

Wolverine lives a mutant life, seeks revenge against Victor Creed (who will later become Sabretooth) for the death of his girlfriend, and ultimately ends up going through the mutant Weapon X program.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458525/

Sapphire
Mon, 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
No magneto? :(

Anyway, this seems like a great movie. I think it's cool that they're making another x-men film, since the others were pretty enjoyable. I'll be sure to watch it.

Paulyboy
Mon, 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Movie seems really good "Do you even know how to kill me" "Im gonna cut your head off and see if that works" lol. Looks like Gambit is on here as well :).

David75
Mon, 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Well Wolverine is a strong image to the franchise, so I guess that dedicating a movie to his origins isn't out of place.

Munsu
Mon, 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
No magneto? :(

Anyway, this seems like a great movie. I think it's cool that they're making another x-men film, since the others were pretty enjoyable. I'll be sure to watch it.
I'm pretty sure they're making an Origins movie about him. I may be mistaken though.

animus
Mon, 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
I thought this title was gonna be for the Wolverine TV series?

Munsu
Mon, 12-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought this title was gonna be for the Wolverine TV series?
I thought the same, but since from where I got the trailer it's calling it like this, we'll stick with it for the time being. I thought the movie was going to be called Wolverine and that's it.

Jman
Thu, 12-25-2008, 01:49 PM
i didn't see the need to make a whole new thread for wolverine so here's another appetizer from marvel's other upcoming release featuring his bout with hulk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6zSRKA7xY&feature=dir

this one gets a bit bloody too. can't wait for it's the release.

Assassin
Sat, 12-27-2008, 02:40 AM
haha, wolverine takes a boulder to his face and still keeps charging....fuckin awesome

Animeniax
Sat, 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Gack, I always hated that yellow and blue costume he wore in his early days.

Wolverine had his own comic series exploring his origins in Canada, so why not an entire movie? I'm still wondering if they could have found someone better than Hugh Jackman for the role.

Junior
Sat, 12-27-2008, 03:32 PM
You don't like Hugh, Ani?

I'm waiting for this movie. Seriously. I'm excited.

Mugen
Sat, 12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
looks pretty good, the other movies were entertaining (besides a few things i didnt like), and we finally get to see gambit

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sat, 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I am kind of mad that I watched the trailer. Now I have to wait! This movie does look sweet.

I dont know how much a fan I am of prequels though, and in this one there is supposed to be another Sabretooth...I dont know how they are going to work that one in there since he was in the first X-Men movie...

rockmanj
Sun, 12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Gack, I always hated that yellow and blue costume he wore in his early days.

Its slightly better than that fugly brown, yellow and red number he wore for a while. Actually, who in the hell designed those things(John Romita, apparently)? That freaking mask is insane, and bright colors aren't exactly good for subterfuge and such....

Animeniax
Sun, 12-28-2008, 02:15 AM
You don't like Hugh, Ani?
He's alright, except for the height thing. Just wish they could have found someone more pug-nosed and ferocious, rather than some tall pretty boy.

Its slightly better than that fugly brown, yellow and red number he wore for a while. Actually, who in the hell designed those things(John Romita, apparently)? That freaking mask is insane, and bright colors aren't exactly good for subterfuge and such....At least the brown/yellow outfit was more woodsy and less conspicuous than the yellow and blue tights he wore in the early days. Neither really looks great but the darker outfit better suits an anti-hero with wild roots like Wolverine. I always liked the mask.

Please don't hotlink images. Upload them to a image hosting site, and edit this post. Thanks.
http://www.oafe.net/poe/art/ml6_bcw09.jpg

rockmanj
Sun, 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
The brown and yellow one did make more sense, but we'll have to agree to disagree about that mask. It is indeed iconic, but its just too damn weird.

Aclypze
Thu, 04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I just saw an incomplete leaked version of this movie. The story was complete, but not the CGI. Movie was pretty sick and seeing Gambit in action was such a turn on. I don't know the comics, so I have no idea if the movie was actually accurate. The action scenes were all pretty short, but there were a few of them so I guess that made up for it. The ending made me feel pretty say :T

itadakimasu
Sat, 04-04-2009, 02:03 PM
When i first heard about it and the title I was a little unsure...

The latest trailer though has me really excited to see it. Please marvel... save the xmen franchise that you so painfully crushed with xmen 3.

cyclops + gambig + others = win

itadakimasu
Sun, 05-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I saw it last night. really liked it... although I was expecting a little more gambit and a little more cyclops.

Really makes me wonder what direction they're going to take the franchise now...

darkshadow
Sun, 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Xmen origins: first class and Xmen origins: magneto
But yeah I liked the movie aswell, though deadpool was more like barakapool, his fight was pretty awesome aswell.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sun, 05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I really liked the movie. Although the "Back to back" part was kind of lame, both times...

Raven
Tue, 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
The side characters did nothing in this movie. What was the purpose of Cyclops and Gambit besides tying the movie in with the others? They didn't even need to be in it. And Emma Frost turning to diamonds? WTF?

Hugh Jackman really suits Wolverine well, despite being way too tall. The action scenes seemed really well choreographed and were all exciting. But if you're going to include a character like Gambit, give him a purpose, more air time, and at least give him a french accent FFS.

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
The side characters did nothing in this movie. What was the purpose of Cyclops and Gambit besides tying the movie in with the others? They didn't even need to be in it. And Emma Frost turning to diamonds? WTF?

Hugh Jackman really suits Wolverine well, despite being way too tall. The action scenes seemed really well choreographed and were all exciting. But if you're going to include a character like Gambit, give him a purpose, more air time, and at least give him a french accent FFS.
My impression of this movie from the trailers would that it would be like X3 in that it tries to cram as many side characters and fan service in as possible, with little explanation or development. The comments here all seem to support that hypothesis. Sad.

itadakimasu
Tue, 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM

You're completely right... I hadn't watched any of the early trailors but when I saw the one w\ cyclops, I got really excited for the movie ( and surprise, surprise... they showed 99% of cyclops' air time in the trailer ) I was also expecting gambit to have more of an active role.

I just heard that there were 3 credit ending... the stuff that happens after the credits start. Anybody else heard about this? I havne't started googling yet.

Vegechan
Wed, 05-06-2009, 01:28 AM

What? I don't know how to respond to this post. The side characters DID have a purpose in this movie. They were all tied to the plot, and even had a side story.

*Warning* Spoilers ahead*

Cyclops' optic blast is one of the strongest forces in the Marvel universe. It is a very handy weapon, and if you're going to make a "pool" of powers, there's no reason NOT to include it. Cyclops was one of many of the mutants kidnapped for their powers. How can you say that's not a purpose? What more did you want or expect? On top of that, there's even a side story as to how he meets up with Xavier. I thought Cyclops was fine in this movie, and I don't see how you can possibly complain about that.

It's true I wished for a little more Gambit, but I still felt his role was fine as it was. We got to seem him fight, demonstrate his powers, and provide a little comic relief. And again, to say "he served no purpose" is just stupid. If he "served no purpose" then his exclusion from the plot would have a minimal impact. However, he was a plot point. If you took him out, you'd have to have some other way for Wolverine to find out about 3 mile island. But as it stands, he helped the plot progress, therefore served purpose.

Also, Emma Frost does have a diamond form, it's just one of her later powers she acquires. Get your facts straight before you complain about them.

If you want to complain about something about this movie, how about the super awesome memory erasing bullets?

*Spoilers End*

I just heard that there were 3 credit ending... the stuff that happens after the credits start. Anybody else heard about this? I havne't started googling yet.

This is true. One is in the middle of the credits, that brings up more questions than answers. One is lame. And one is awesome.

*Spoilers*

The one in the middle shows Stryker walking, with his shoes busted open with blood stains. Some Military Police drive up to him, and arrest him for suspect of murder of the general. Why bother showing this though? It's obvious he's fine, because by 15 years later he's still very much a part of the military. Just thought it was stupid...

The ending most people saw was Wolverine sitting in some asian bar, getting a drink. The bartender asks if he's drinking to forget about something, to which he responds "No. I'm drinking to remember." I felt jipped.

The one that shows on select screens however, is awesome. It shows Deadpool's dismembered arm crawling through the nuclear power plant debris, up to his decapitated head. He looks to the screen and says "Shhhhh..." (Yes his mouth is no longer melded together.)

*End Spoilers*

EDIT: Also, I just wanted to say, the past three X-MEN movies have focused HEAVILY on Wolverine. To think that side characters would get a lot of screen time in HIS OWN MOVIE is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Raven
Wed, 05-06-2009, 03:29 AM
What? I don't know how to respond to this post.
You sure found a way though. ;)

Cyclops' optic blast is one of the strongest forces in the Marvel universe. It is a very handy weapon, and if you're going to make a "pool" of powers, there's no reason NOT to include it. Cyclops was one of many of the mutants kidnapped for their powers. How can you say that's not a purpose? What more did you want or expect? On top of that, there's even a side story as to how he meets up with Xavier. I thought Cyclops was fine in this movie, and I don't see how you can possibly complain about that.

True, he’s strong. But that wasn’t the issue for me – if they wanted to use his powers they could have shown him in one of the cages and the fans would have picked him out, like they did with Toad. But instead, they vaguely tried to make him into a proper character then didn't develop him in the slightest. They included lame pointless scenes, like him getting detention, when they didn’t need to. He’s a popular character and they obviously did what they did to cram in more fan service, but it just felt so bastardized to me. They even included him on the damned poster! He was in it for collectively less than 5 minutes!
They still could have done the connection to Xavier at the end like they did, even if he was in the cage, but it wasn’t really all that important to the plot nor do I think you could call it a side story, it was just a vague attempt to link up with the other movies for those popcorn viewers who don’t know any better.

It's true I wished for a little more Gambit, but I still felt his role was fine as it was. We got to seem him fight, demonstrate his powers, and provide a little comic relief. And again, to say "he served no purpose" is just stupid. If he "served no purpose" then his exclusion from the plot would have a minimal impact. However, he was a plot point. If you took him out, you'd have to have some other way for Wolverine to find out about 3 mile island. But as it stands, he helped the plot progress, therefore served purpose.
That's exactly my point, they could have done it any other way without him even being in it. There are countless ways for Wolverine to find out about the island, not to mention countless ways his fight in the alley with Victor could have been interrupted. Like I mentioned already putting him in the movie at all was just fan service, and considering what a major and popular character he is in the universe it really felt like a slap in the face. They didn’t even give him a French accent, it just felt so tacked on. “How can we increase the appeal of this movie to fans? Let’s include Gambit, yeah! But how can he fit into the story? Oh, he can tell Wolverine where to find the final boss, that will do. We’ll throw in a flashy fight scene, but we won’t research anything about his personality and we'll find some guy who kind of looks like him but has no charisma.”

Also, Emma Frost does have a diamond form, it's just one of her later powers she acquires. Get your facts straight before you complain about them.
Read my post again. I wasn’t saying “Emma Frost doesn’t have diamond form, they made that up!”, I know she has it. Like you said she doesn’t get it until later, and with this being an origin movie it just felt like a way for the main characters to block the bullets being shot at them, especially considering she’s more famously known for her telekinesis.

If you want to complain about something about this movie, how about the super awesome memory erasing bullets?

I didn’t have much of a problem with that, I just accredited it to getting repeatedly hit in the head with a substance as strong as your own skeleton. ;)

Vegechan
Wed, 05-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Alright. Those points are all fair enough. I still don't think they added those scenes in just for fan service though. They did add to the plot, and it was still nice to see those characters, as little as they were in it. We're apparently getting two more Origin stories so I think most of it is there for set up. Gambit is obviously going to be around for future movies.

And I can understand what you're saying about Emma Frost. It's also interesting to see that Deadpool never used that ability either. They made a deal about that ability in particular, and yet it wasn't utilized...

Also, my issue with the gun was that Stryker KNEW it was going to erase his memory.

itadakimasu
Fri, 05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I feel cheated now that they didn't show the wolvy in japan sequence when I saw it... unless they saved it for after all the credits, and who stays to watch all of the credits?!

hugh jackman confirmed the japan / samurai storyline last night on jimmy kimmel

deadlydreamx
Fri, 05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I feel cheated now that they didn't show the wolvy in japan sequence when I saw it... unless they saved it for after all the credits, and who stays to watch all of the credits?!

hugh jackman confirmed the japan / samurai storyline last night on jimmy kimmel

yea it was ALLL the way at the end of the credits. I learned to stay after the credits for certain movies :)

itadakimasu
Sat, 05-16-2009, 04:29 PM
so, I saw it again today w\ my sister. She was like " how does he know it will erase his memory!?" lol

I made her stay through the credits and it showed the scene w\ deadpool saying "Shhhh" after all of the credits. And it showed striker walking at the beginning part of the credits..
but did not show the wolverine in japanese bar scene...

Raven
Sat, 05-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, that's correct. Everyone gets the Striker scene, and at the very end of all the credits some audiences will see the Wolverine scene and others will see the Deadpool one, it's either/or. Personally I got the Wolverine one.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I just saw this, and wondered why the hell the CGI was so shit. Then, I saw the wires still attached on Jackman in the fight scene and realised it was an incomplete leak. :o

Anyway, the movie was pretty decent. Only thing bothering me was the magic bullet. Knowing it would erase his memory was lame. It would have been better with Stryker pulling the gun out thinking it would still kill him, and the medical lady never turning up to tell him otherwise.

Given how the movie ended, I'm really tempted to find out why him and Sabretooth (assuming it's the same one as his brother) are enemies. You'd think he'd tell him.

Kraco
Thu, 05-21-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't think there's anything strange about thinking a bullet shot in your brain deletes memories. A normal person would die, for sure, but otherwise it's "just" going to have deleterious effects. Although the extent of the effects should have been anybody's guess.

Bill, you should switch to a theater that doesn't show incomplete leaks. It's not worth saving a couple of dollars. Har har.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-21-2009, 05:58 AM
My dad was the one who put it on the table after he "acquired" it :p

Seeing it on a DVD, albeit burnt, I wrongly assumed it was the real completed deal.

My problem with Stryker is that he was so confident in the ability of the bullet. I'm not familiar with the effects of adamantium, but from what I gather, it's essentially really really hard. Which means it was a really really hard bullet.

Wolverine's lived through death countless times. Who knows how many of those were from a brain-piercing injury. Yet that guy knew "If I pop him in the head with this, he won't remember a thing." If it had a memory-erasing drug on it, fine, since they already established that memory-erasing means existed already, but the entire time, he was all but saying adamantium bullets will erase his memory.

We don't exactly know how memory works in the brain neither, let alone a mutant's brain.

Part of why I didn't like that so much was because I think the whole memory erasing thing would have had more impact as a surprise. Not only would it be a "twist", rather than foreseen, which Hollywood loves so much, but it would also draw more sympathy from us. Me, at least.

Talking about drugs before, I had a nice chuckle when hydrochlorothiazide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochlorothiazide) came up. In case anyone was wondering, it doesn't make you fake death, just really thirsty, and maybe a bit dizzy. But I have to agree, all those cool-sounding hydro-, chloro- and -ide/ite sounds make it a very suitable movie-drug. :o

Abdula
Thu, 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Talking about drugs before, I had a nice chuckle when hydrochlorothiazide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochlorothiazide) came up. In case anyone was wondering, it doesn't make you fake death, just really thirsty, and maybe a bit dizzy. But I have to agree, all those cool-sounding hydro-, chloro- and -ide/ite sounds make it a very suitable movie-drug. :o
A lot of people talk about the memory erasing bullet and I agree it was really terrible but to me that was the dumbest part of the movie, it made absolutely no sense. They should have just stated that she faked her death and not even have tried to explain it.

Assassin
Sun, 05-24-2009, 10:26 PM
anyone have any links for the secret endings? i can't seem to find it on youtube, and the one video link google gave me was removed.

UChessmaster
Wed, 05-27-2009, 04:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTn6SOlV9jU
Deadpool ending

PhaseONE
Wed, 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I really wanted to like this movie because i was into the comics when i was young. The last series i read was Wolverine Origins (Comics), which was what i based on with the movie. I wished now i never read that because almost everything was wrong with the storyline. From dog logan being victor and also being brothers to deadpool exaggerated powers.

They didn't even show rose, who was a MAIN figure in his life, she was the one who named him logan. Everyone's power was either inaccurate, too early in the current timeline or just complete wrong, like silverfox (Kayla) persuasion power.

Is there a copyright law that states that movies cant be the exact same or close to at least to its comic counterparts? (Because i put this with the 1st Hulk Category).
Guess thats what happens when its not Marvel thats producing it. You can actually tell which marvel movies that are out right now that was actually produced by marvel themselves. (Ironman, Hulk). Other than my complaints, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Deadpool:Origin (2012) starring Rey Renolds: another Hulk (the first one).

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-28-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't know how it feels to compare it to the original material, but from a standalone action movie point of view, it was pretty decent and enjoyable, besides the obvious parts.

Sapphire
Sun, 07-26-2009, 03:55 PM
There's going to be a sequel (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b122213_wolverine_sequel_already_in_works.html), wat?

darkshadow
Sun, 07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Old news, same as for origins: magneto, origins: deadpool and origins: first class.

UChessmaster
Wed, 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
First class? cool, why can`t they do x-men 4 though? >>