View Full Version : Valkyria Chronicles

Pages : [1] 2

Idealistic
Wed, 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Because it's almost here, http://www.valkyria-anime.com/index.html

<3 Alicia.

TheBladeChild
Wed, 12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I wish i could afford a ps3 and play the game that this anime was based on. Oh well...

darkshadow
Wed, 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Oh nice, the game is awesome so ill have to check this out, hope Aika and Vyse make an appearance here aswell.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm still not sure if I'll get the game, but I love the art, so I'll definitely check the anime out.

Xelbair
Thu, 12-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Game is on my wish list, now this anime is on it too.

Idealistic
Sat, 03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Promo vid is up.

http://www.valkyria-anime.com/special/movie/090324pv_m.html

Xelbair
Sun, 03-29-2009, 07:26 AM
I can't wait to see chapter 13 of game animated(or 14 i don't remember). Those who played the game should know what i mean.

Kraco
Sun, 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Europe looks a bit strange in this show... A nice looking series, though. Gotta check it out.

Nadouku
Sun, 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Promotion clip looks promising. I'll give this series a try.

Stitch
Sun, 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
For anyone who wants to get this game, it's going to be part of GameStop's Game Days sale.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ProductMerch.aspx?groupid=405

It's listed at $60 in their database at that link right now but the price during the Game Days promotion is expected to be $35, new. That link should reflect the new price at that time.

Kraco
Mon, 03-30-2009, 04:40 AM
Ayako's sub of the PV:

PV 1 - Ayako (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_PV_%5B4FBEFEAB%5D. mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Let's give this thread a much-needed paint job

Senjō no Valkyria -Gallian Chronicles- (戦場のヴァルキュリア GALLIAN♦CHRONICLES)

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1166/20868.jpg

Alternative Title: Valkyria Chronicles
Genres: action
Episode count: 13 26

Valkyria Chronicles is set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s Europe - divided in two and ruled by the Empire and the Federation. The Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, which is situated in the middle of the two great empires. The story follows a hero named Welkin and his fellow soldiers of the Gallian's 7th Platoon as they engage in a series of epic battles.

Official site: http://www.valkyria-anime.com/
ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10416
AnimeNfo: http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,4426,mrzxsx,senjo_no_valkyr.html
AniDB: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6244

Xelbair
Mon, 03-30-2009, 10:31 AM
ONLY 13 episodes? i don't know how its possible to fit this story into 26 and they are using only 13?... i sense a big cutting of plot...

and there is mistake in the description - they are not federation's squad - they are gallian squad. Gallia is a neutral country there and <spoiler> spoiler removed in case someone would read it by mistake. PM me for details if you want to know details.</spoiler>

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks Xel. Post edited.

I searched around for descriptions, that MyAnimeList was really the only original one out there. The rest just copied and pasted from the PS3 manual. I went to the description on the official anime website, and it's slightly different...possibly with more of a focus on Alicia (girl on front cover, for the uninformed). I'll update if I ever find a translation of that.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-06-2009, 04:18 AM
It's here!!!

[Ayako]_Valkyria_Chronicles_01_[h264][4C930BE2].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=57643)
[twrev-Doremi].Valkyria.Chronicles.01.SDTV.[E71C8072].avi (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5Btwrev-Doremi%5D.Valkyria.Chronicles.01.SDTV.%5BE71C8072% 5D.avi.torrent)
[twrev-Doremi].Valkyria.Chronicles.01.HDTV.[7A74C488].mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5Btwrev-Doremi%5D.Valkyria.Chronicles.01.HDTV.%5B7A74C488% 5D.mkv.torrent)

I think from memory, Doremi has a better reputation than Ayako?

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-06-2009, 04:33 AM
They've been about equal lately. Doremi has been around longer, but Ayako has more experience since they've been more active recently. A lot of the negativity around Ayako still comes from the time they called themselves Your-Mom. There is a squad of people who give all their series 1's still on AniDB for no reason (well, more than everyone else gets from the competing subbers).

I watched Ayako's and it was fine.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Ah, so that's where Your-Mom went. (pun not intended, but I'll leave it in :P). I never had a problem with their Heroic Age job, save the full-screen :3 on DNA's scene.

Guess I'll be watching them again.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-06-2009, 05:00 AM
so I just watched Valkyria Chronicles.

I have to say, maybe it's just because I've been super anticipating this series, but this came across as the best first episode premiere of the season so far.

The character development and the story explanation were both spot on. not too fast, but not too lacking. I got a good feel for the characters, and I was also able to comprehend what was going on. It also has a very soothing atmosphere to it, what with the calming background music and OP.

The artwork was fantastic. I was hoping that they'd keep it similar to the video game's art, and I can tell they tried. There's a subtle water-coloring/sketchy coloring effect over everything to give it a real awesome look.

If the episode itself wasn't good enough, the ED was amazing! it started up with a dudes vocals, and right away I could hear the auto-tuner type effect to the song. It's the first time I've heard that applied to a Japanese song, (maybe it's actually common?) and I thought it was awesome. It was just like Kanye or T-Pain.

ohh, and you have it as 13 episodes, but MAL says it's 26. and I was expecting this to be a longer series. whats your source for the 13 episode length/ do you know MAL's source? i guess it doesn't really matter either way, because i'll keep getting the episodes every week until they stop regardless of how long it goes on.

NeoBear
Mon, 04-06-2009, 06:12 AM
I swear to you this is one of the best games that nobody every played last year this will be a treat =)

i hope they can pull this off in 13 episodes this story is wonderfull. and holy carp at them using music from the game and keeping the same visual effect with the line's on things

this game just went on sale at gamestop for $29 new, pick it up i swear on it

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
i haven't played the game, so let me just say, first, that i'm in no way or shape saying anything about it, or even about its story. i'm talking purely about the anime.

the first episode is incredibly underwhelming. we've got a pretty standard J-RPG starter village about to get swallowed up in a battle between Two Big Powers for Resource X. the main male is an outwardly weak and quirky "son of famous hero" and he has "family member of evil race origin". the episode ends with "unveiling of big power weapon".

the set-up is a classic, and i like the characters (Welkin especially). not sure if Alicia has a few screws loose or something though. she decided it would be better to follow a guy she thinks might be a spy out to his location of choice, instead of returning to base to update her commander about the enemy's advance. She tosses a grenade at the baddies (who apparently have made securing this house a higher priority than keeping their advance quiet. either the tank inside is something they know about and want or they're just fucking retarded) and then makes a joke and promises to make food.

there are some good moments here too. i liked when Alicia was unable to shoot Welkin in the back, and how cool under pressure he acted when they were in the forest. the one girl fainting at the meeting and the two boys on the watch were enjoyable too. but i wasn't in for the mix and match of "war is coming to our small town!" meets "generic humor inserts".

this one could be good yet, but it certainly hasn't wowed me just yet...

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:10 AM
While I think most of your negative comments are bordering on nitpicking, I'm glad people are still watching this show. I personally dislike the strange static line shading they used, but I bet I will get used to it in time.

Alicia was cute, strange maybe, and a bit dumb with her hasty conclusions, but cute.

Welkin is smart. This makes for a good combination that kind of reminds me of Allison and Lillia, only with better characters.

I don't think it is underwhelming, but that is only because I have learned not to expect too much from game adaptations after Tales of the Abyss.

EDIT: I am hoping this show is 26 episodes. Otherwise, the anime line up this season is quite dismal, and if this show ends like crap, it would be much worse.

Kraco
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
If the episode itself wasn't good enough, the ED was amazing! it started up with a dudes vocals, and right away I could hear the auto-tuner type effect to the song. It's the first time I've heard that applied to a Japanese song, (maybe it's actually common?) and I thought it was awesome. It was just like Kanye or T-Pain.

I thought the OP is pretty nice, but the ED terrible. Well, we all got our own tastes...

What comes to the episode itself, I was satisfied with it. I don't even think the decision by Alicia was a bad one. At that point it was pretty clearly to me she didn't really anymore believe he's a spy, and with the imperial soldiers around, she surely found better things to do than worry about him too much. It's not like she's a real soldier (it was told she's actually a master of bread baking), no matter how brave she occasionally was, so following the dude who seemed to know what he's doing, was more or less natural. Besides, if those two are to become a pair, the sooner the better...

It might have been cliched, but nine out of ten rpgs are cliched from head to toe, so what can you do? Rewrite the script?

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Hmmm nice show so far, but that were some really fast "15 minutes walk to the Gunther-mansion" (5 seconds running)

I didn't really like the OP (it was boring) but the show itself is fine.. let's see if the other eps are going to be good too.

oh and the carefree-talking even though the imperial army was storming the house was a bit annoying too

Nadouku
Mon, 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I totally liked this episode. Alicia is such a blockhead when it comes to her duty as a townsguard. Can't blame her though, there's a war going on! The interactions with the characters were carefree during a war, but that didn't annoy me at all, as long as they have good dialouge among them.

Idealistic
Mon, 04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I liked both the OP and ED. :D

Anyways, considering how slow this first episode went, comparing it to the game, I really don't see how they can fit the series into 13 episodes. Unless they are planning to skip a ton of stuff from the game..... Which would be stupid.

I don't want to spoil the game for those who haven't played it either so I won't say much.

But I did like this first episode. It stayed true to the game and added a lot more backstory and content to it.

By the way, those who are worried about RPGs-turned-anime series, I have high hopes for this series. Reason being, VC is a strategy RPG and not your typical group of 8 turn-based RPG where you go into battle mode and stuff. So there shouldn't be any unneccessary random fights.

Also, it seems like a lot of the minor characters in the game will get some screen time so there should be a lot of character development I hope.

Been awhile since I've played the game too so I can't really recognize if they used the same VAs as the game. But the music is from the game. Which is cool.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I swear to you this is one of the best games that nobody every played last year this will be a treat =)

i hope they can pull this off in 13 episodes this story is wonderfull. and holy carp at them using music from the game and keeping the same visual effect with the line's on things

this game just went on sale at gamestop for $29 new, pick it up i swear on it

I haven't actually played the game, but I did play the demo about 20 times. I couldn't get enough of the demo D:.

I'm hoping at some point I get to play the game.. I know a dude with it, and I'm hoping to borrow it sometime.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
At least the static shading isn't a nausea-inducing as The Count of Monte Cristo (Gankutsuou) could occasionally be. It was subtle and a nice touch.

At first I liked Alicia, but towards the end of the episode she was making one dumb decision or baseless action after another. She points her gun at Welkin's sister rattles off that she's a Darken, and they don't really bother to explain why that was an issue aside from the vague reference at the beginning of the episode. Sure the house was attacked, but a little bit more info would have been appreciated.

As for the Empire attacking the house, it only makes sense considering who the father supposedly is. If he's a great war hero, ensuring that any thread he might pose is neutralized is priority number one. The last thing any invading army wants is an experienced leader who knows the territory that well being capable of mounting any kind of resistance or defense.

To be honest though, the whole tank situation really reminds me of Those Who Hunt Elves. It might not be Alicia's tank by ownership, but it might as well be. I'm sure that feeling will fade by the next episode.

I swear to you this is one of the best games that nobody every played last yearYou could have fooled me. It seems like everyone in this forum has played the game. I haven't played it, don't own a PS3, and there seems to be all of four people in this thread who haven't played it.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
The game had very poor sales on USA sadly.

Im downloading first episode now... but like I said before... I don't plan on watching it until I play the game. I prefer spoiling myself with the game than with the anime. *glances at closed game on his shelf besides other 10 closed games...*

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Hmm, well I liked this episode. It wasn't WOW, and I didn't expect WOW. Moreso, I was thinking of this being rather light hearted, with enjoyable characters. As Shinta said, like Allison and Lillia, except with a better(?), or perhaps just grander and more epic setting.

ohh, and you have it as 13 episodes, but MAL says it's 26. and I was expecting this to be a longer series. whats your source for the 13 episode length/ do you know MAL's source? i guess it doesn't really matter either way, because i'll keep getting the episodes every week until they stop regardless of how long it goes on.

I remember ANN saying there's 13 episodes, as well as some other source that I can't find anymore. However, Mahou Showtime lists 26 episodes as their airing schedule, and that's just about as reliable as episode counts get. Good news too, since I consider 24~27 episodes a "full length" anime.

You could have fooled me. It seems like everyone in this forum has played the game. I haven't played it, don't own a PS3, and there seems to be all of four people in this thread who haven't played it.

Make sure I'm one of the four in that case. As I've said before somewhere, I've only watched my brother play the demo for ~15mins, but I loved the art style.
The static shading was interesting. It was a bit like the style used in Nabari no Ou, except instead of doing it to the background, they used it more prominantly in the foregrounded characters.

Regarding Alicia's decision making, I'm thinking it somewhat suits her apparent rank in the town's military. From the looks of things, the "town-watch" is more a militia organisation than the regular army. As such, I'd imagine they're less well trained.

The kids were simply kids, let in because they wanted to. Add this to the older girl who faints all over the place, it seems Gallia's townwatch doesn't have much of a selection criteria to go by.

Alicia's the better of the bunch. Thick at times and while not actually the smartest, she has a sense of duty and the determination that the others seem to lack. Going by her age compared all the old geezers, she probably lacks experience more than anything.

From what I've been let in on, Welkin should be smart, but right now, he's the generic carefree, dragged-into-conflict male lead character. Lets see if this changes later on.

Isara, now I find her pretty interesting. Predicably, she'll be the reliable sister archetype who'll probably serve as the militia's well-learned mechanic/weapons development brain. To me, she seemed rather well trained, and more importantly, well used to shooting Alicia's gun, as well as having the initiative to camp the door with a meat cleaver. (Can you imagine fainting-girl do that?). I daresay her Darken heritage thing will come back in the form of an identity crisis later on in the series.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I think it would be pretty funny if the fainting girl became a hardcore soldier later on, even if it is a little cliche.

NeoBear
Mon, 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Man this hurts i want to talk about it but i don't want to spoil anything. i can say that a few things have been changed to get the show moving i mean they would have to in 13 episodes. for instance the whole thing with how Welkin And Alicia meet for the first time is very different. not to mention the introduction of the tank (i cant spell the name >.< ) i hope a few key moments don't get glossed over but they may have to =/

Besu
Tue, 04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
The game had very poor sales on USA sadly.

Not only there, everywhere outside Japan. But the people that pick up the game really enjoy it.

NeoBear
Tue, 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Not only there, everywhere outside Japan. But the people that pick up the game really enjoy it.

man that does suck but it was a new IP and kinda hard to even describe. i can honestly say i have never played a Srpg like it its almost not even an rpg might be more of a action/strategy hybrid.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't mean to be a total ass about it, but the game already has a thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=16607&highlight=chronicles) of its own.

Try to keep this thread about the anime for the sake of those who will not play it any time soon.
(Or if at all. $450 is not worth it for one game, no matter how good it is.)

EDIT:
Neg repping me doesn't make the other thread not exist.

NeoBear
Tue, 04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
well i did not neg rep you im not a rep whore. and im sorry for talking about the game to much? i did not think it was a huge deal i forget about how sensitive some people can be guess ill go back to lurking QQ

PS: and for god sakes who said anything about $450 dollars

Pandadice
Tue, 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM
PS: and for god sakes who said anything about $450 dollars

they're talking about the price of a ps3.

Kraco
Wed, 04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Alright, enough about the game already. The game was good background material to refer to when the first ep wasn't out yet, but it's not a good sign if most of the post continue to deal with the game even after the episode was released. Let's hope this series is not quite that bad, eh?

narutosharingan
Wed, 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I didn't really see what the fuss is about in the first episode. Honestly, Alicia just really annoyed me with her constant quick reactions. The animation style was fine, and the story was ok. But the characters really didn't do it for me.

RyougaZell
Fri, 04-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmmm... so I finally began the game and then decided to see the first episode. I have conflicted feelings on it.

Animation wise was good, although the art variation is kinda weird. I loved they included minor characters from the game through the story too. What I didn't like much is how much they changed the initial meeting between Alicia and Welkin... and the different relationship she had with Isara. Oh well.

Will see this to the end though.

Nadouku
Mon, 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 2: Download (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/[Ayako]_Valkyria_Chronicles_02_[h264][A4CCD206].mkv.torrent)

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not going to completely retype the post I lost somehow, so I'll keep it short.

This episode was severely underwhelming.

Town watch guys were retarded. Standing up to fire from perfectly acceptable cover was the most egregious. The Edelweiss is pretty cool. Like a combination of a T-34 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T-34_Model_1940.jpg) and a Panzer IV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Panzer_IV_1.jpg). The Empire tanks looked like crappier versions of the American M3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aberdean_proving_grounds_023.JPG).

Alicia's constant flipping back and forth between being pissed, pleased, or even slightly impressed with Welkin is already really stale. He rarely even did anything that might warrant her changes in expression towards him.

The next episode looks like a huge improvment, but I don't know if I want to bother with the series is going to continue at the level these first two episodes were at. The first episode was forgiveable as an introduction, but this was just bad.

Pumpkin Scissors was a lot better than this series by the second episode, and that's a post-war series.

Idealistic
Mon, 04-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe I'm just biased because I really liked the game, but I enjoyed it.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-13-2009, 09:03 PM
I liked it too, and I haven't even seen the game.

Nadouku
Mon, 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
To be honest, I disliked Welkin's way of thinking. Also, that douche deputy deserved to die for being a retard and not listen to Isara's warning. I'm quite surprised at the last bit though. Did a time skip happen or something?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
What's wrong with Welkin's way of thinking? It was pragmatic, and makes sense. The only thing that I can attribute as problematic about it was they way he said it, and how he seems to not care, but these personality traits make me like him as a character, honestly.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 04-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I too also like Welkin as a character since he strikes me as the type of person who can make calm and rational decisions while under pressure.

A "town watch" that consist of untrained civilians and one viable tank vs a well trained platoon of solders and 5 tanks. It really doesn't take much to figure out that is a suicidal situation.

I can appreciate Alicia feeling of wanting to protect her town but i sincerely hopes that she never gets to be in command of anyone else. Alicia is the hothead type of person that will most likely get everyone into a killed if she is in charge.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-14-2009, 02:21 AM
-Guy with front line experience *cough* dies. Good riddance.

-I too felt a bit disappointed with this episode because, from the description of the game, I expected something like a Lelouch Checkmate Finish like Code Geass Ep 2. Instead, we got a rather weak introduction into why they joined the military etc. Most of my displeasure comes from anticipating Welkin's genius tactics, but instead, got his pragmatic, but tactless remarks.

It's good that he's level headed and can make calm decisions under pressure, but the fact that he's seemingly uncaring (as opposed to stern but impartial) with a "meh" attitude hardly builds a sense of reliability and camaraderie. You can't say that's unimportant for leadership.

-I'm still onto this show, but I guess starting up with a bang wasn't the direction where this was heading.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 04-14-2009, 03:46 AM
This shows seem to suffers some of the same problems that Tales of the Abyss has due to being a game adaptation. Most rpg games tend to start with a rather boring intro with the sole purpose of introducing the main characters and slowly begin to ease the player into the plot of things. That approach works with games but when translate to anime, the end result is a very dull first few episodes. I've never played it but according to the people who have played the game, the story is very good so i'll give this show a chance. I'm willing to bet that nothing really interesting will happen until we're 7-8 episodes into the series.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-14-2009, 04:35 AM
I think the episode 3 preview looks quite promising. They seem to be struggling in a mission, and how that plays out can make that episode spectacular or stupid as hell.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-14-2009, 04:57 AM
I think the episode 3 preview looks quite promising. They seem to be struggling in a mission, and how that plays out can make that episode spectacular or stupid as hell.

Wonder how an underwater tank will play out :rolleyes:

Kraco
Tue, 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Wonder how an underwater tank will play out :rolleyes:

Seeing how much water was leaking in, not so well. I don't honestly know if any WW2 tanks were yet designed to work underwater, or if that's only a more recent attribute of the modern tanks. Still, it needs to be remembered these tanks are powered with that strange substance, whatever was its name, so they might not even need the air and exhaust pipes real tanks do (assuming they aren't underwater so long the crew runs out of oxygen).

I didn't actually mind this episode, even if it did nothing to make me more eagerly await future episodes. I have to say I'm not yet particularly liking the main characters.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Seeing how much water was leaking in, not so well. I don't honestly know if any WW2 tanks were yet designed to work underwater, or if that's only a more recent attribute of the modern tanks.

Tanks these days can work underwater? :eek:

Kraco
Tue, 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
At least some of them. I only know that Leopard 2 can. I'd guess Abrams and T-90 can as well. They can't be any worse, after all, the USA and Russia both being just as big tank countries as Germany.

Nadouku
Tue, 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
What's wrong with Welkin's way of thinking?

I never said that his way of thinking was wrong, it was just what I disliked. I can understand his point of view since it's his first time at entering a battlefield and he has no experience in combat situations, which is probably why he joined the Military later on.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Don't bother with semantics. What I obviously meant to say was "Why did you dislike about his way of thinking?"

So are you saying you dislike him being pragmatic? Or his manner of speaking and acting like I suggested?

Nadouku
Tue, 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM
The way he thinks and acts accordingly to the battlefield. As Bill said, we got his "pragmatic and tactless remarks." You could say it was a disappointment, per se. Maybe the next episode will shine some light into Welkin.

Kraco
Tue, 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I reckon the problem is that he was, perhaps with his sister, an outsider in a town full of distraught people, who needed to abandon their homes to the enemy forces, and his conduct indicated he didn't much care. He just wanted to get away from the front lines, not understanding these people would be leaving behind everything but their very lives.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't honestly know if any WW2 tanks were yet designed to work underwater, or if that's only a more recent attribute of the modern tanks.
T-34s can be restored to working order after being in a bog for 56 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Surviving_vehicles). I think the German Tiger I's were deisgned to ford pretty deep water because they were too heavy.

masamuneehs
Tue, 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
This episode was severely underwhelming.

this one just isn't for me. the main character's mood swings are too random and inexplicable, the action is only half decent. i did somewhat like Welkin, whatever the reason for his thoughts are, since it's so easy for media to play on emotions, but seemingly quite rare for them to actually try to appeal to a viewer with logic and rationale.

somebody else said it, but this whole thing does feel like the beginning, pretty boring, cookie-cutter cut-out for a video game. but the thing is that I'm NOT playing a video game. I'm sitting at my computer watching a show. And I won't be doing that next week, not for this one.

Yukimura
Wed, 04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Well my dislike for Alicia's character has been further strengthened by this episode. Idealism is great in a show like Gurren-Lagann where you can tell reality to take a hike but this show seems to be going with a more realistic depiction of war and its consequences and in that regard I simply can't abide Alicia's temperament. Blind heroism, confidence, and sentimentality are certainly likable qualities but they don't win you realistic wars. I think the most dangerous thing I sense in Alicia at this point is her (over)confidence. She comes across as thinking she is the shit because she cares deeply and had some manner of skill compared to the other farmers and shopkeepers with uniforms running around her town. She doesn't seem to understand that there is a hard limit to what any one person with limited military skill and intelligence can do.

After the mini time skip I was rather shocked to see that fainting girl was allowed into the militia until I heard that she was one of those 'illustrious' families. With that, I figure they'll stick her into some sort of support role like counter-intelligence and she'll turn out to really good at it as long as no one shoots at her. Alicia on the other hand, I don't think she belongs in any armed organization more important than a town watch at all. I can barely believe they gave her the rank of Sergeant (i.e leader of other grunts) considering her demeanor. Sure she has plenty of spunk and motivation to defend her country but she seems to lack greatly for discipline, intelligence, and wisdom. Hopefully she'll pick those things up on the way or just be vetoed constantly by the other members of her squad so that she can't get too many people killed.

Kraco
Wed, 04-15-2009, 11:21 AM
What we saw until now was her basic personality. Military training somewhat changes people, especially leadership training. I very much doubt she had had any sort of training back in her home town. So, her behavior was a combination of some very dubious elements, like the surge of power of having a gun in your hands plus having been placed into a position of responsibility. Add to that the intense patriotism, and you get a ruffian. However, now that she's in proper military environment, she should get all her delusions hammered out of her.

In the end being a sergeant is harder than being a grunt, so let's hope this series manages to maintain (or create) some sensibility in the future eps.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM
this show is pretty weak, I expected a lot more... the action is weak in my opinion, basically they just stand in front of each other and shoot with something which looks like a stapler. When I first read about this I was looking for something which you could call a "WW2"-like anime.

the characters are not so good either and I can't get into it at all because there is so much senseless and irrelevant talk.

and the art is getting on my nerves too, this kind of shading is just horrible.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
and the art is getting on my nerves too, this kind of shading is just horrible.You might want to avoid Gankutsuou (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=1868) (The Count of Monte Cristo). If the shading in this show gets on your nerves, Gankutsuou will make you vomit. Valkyria has lines, Gankutsuou has patterns.

The exposition in this episode did bother me a bit. I was tempted to skim through it and find something more important to watch, but it's still only the second episode, so I have to give it a chance. Most of it seemed so pointless. It did not serve to develop Welkin or Alicia's characters in even the slightest non-trivial manner.

animus
Wed, 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
In VC's Defense the source material was good but it didn't have the best form of development. This in due to the fact the way the game is structured. Story plays out in a type of book, with chapters. Each chapter contains a major battle, and little skits of briefing and maybe a bit of development.

The way it is, could lead to a lack of plot, so they have to fill in their own junk in the anime I believe.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-16-2009, 04:09 AM
In VC's Defense the source material was good but it didn't have the best form of development. This in due to the fact the way the game is structured. Story plays out in a type of book, with chapters. Each chapter contains a major battle, and little skits of briefing and maybe a bit of development.

The way it is, could lead to a lack of plot, so they have to fill in their own junk in the anime I believe.

Well none of that actually happened. They could still do it, and I can imagine that it'd turn out alright, even good. But...it didn't happen.

Fandom alone though will take to episode 6 at least.

Stitch
Fri, 04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
The game is $30 at GameStop right now. Get it if you haven't yet. Game is good, especially for that price.

narutosharingan
Fri, 04-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Again an OK episode, though in my opinion better than the first. No guarantee for me to continue much further, however, as there are too many good shows that the mediocre ones may have to drop. I don't mind the animation style now that I've gotten used to it, but the dialogue is dull and the action isn't exciting.

NeoBear
Sat, 04-18-2009, 03:08 AM
The game is $30 at GameStop right now. Get it if you haven't yet. Game is good, especially for that price.

...there is another thread for this game stuff, don't post this kind of thing here or the rep whores will descend upon you like a plague of locust!

its sad god forbid you should talk about a game that has a anime tie in but if you go to the game thread can you even talk about the anime ?

and yeah i work at a GS and we sold out of that pretty quick. back to lurking =O

Nadouku
Mon, 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 3: Download (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/[Ayako]_Valkyria_Chronicles_03_[h264][D6351DFA].mkv.torrent)

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Alicia's questionable worth still aside (she hasn't done anything of value but be annoying), but this episode was enough of an improvement for me to watch the next episode. Though mostly for that evil chick from the OP that it looks like we see next episode.

I don't like Welkin's horrible lack of discipline to his own squad, though I appreciate that he holds their lives above all else, that will engender trust over time. I also can no longer deny his tactical ability. He still should have controlled Rosie and the Gorilla-man better during their first formal meeting, perhaps simply with, "You can disrespect me if I don't prove my ability," which he accomplished with the bet. He still should have done that earlier.

The only question remaining is how many episodes until the cliche scene where Isara saves Rosie and she respects Isara from there on out.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure about trying to establish discipline that early. The two were acting stubborn, and as anyone knows, going against that with force is going to make it worse. The bet might never have happened if Welkin tried to push authority when they clearly have no respect for him, or worse, they might even shoot him and/or his sister in the back when a conflict arises just to get rid of them.

I personally think his air of humility (as opposed to acting authoritative despite having little experience) in their first meeting is what gave him a chance to earn their respect.

I agree with you about Alicia though. What the hell did she do this episode? Is she the main character in the game? It sure didn't seem like it this episode.

Nadouku
Mon, 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, as I said before, if Welkin shined this episode, then he'll be more likable in my book. I was right; he managed to surprise attack the enemies, kept his promise, and gained the respect of the two stubborn soldiers. His way of thinking seemed to have slightly change, but his optimistic attitude is still in tact, which proves to be more beneficial in this case than before.

Yukimura
Tue, 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
While I wrote off the exchange between the grumpy soldiers and Welkin as a clich&#233; for the sake of a clich&#233; I couldn't shake off the revulsion I felt from the 'realism' viewpoint. Those two were downright insubordinate towards a superior officer in a time of war. I know they are militia and not regular military but still, that's a pretty serious offense in my book. Welkin doesn't owe them a thing and to have them threaten not to fight for him should have been grounds for sending them to the brig or the stockade or whatever the army calls jail. If they feel so strongly about picking who they are willing to serve under or second guessing the decisions of the higher ups they should try to get out of the organized milita and form a band of guerrillas or something. Soldiers who can't or won't follow orders may be effective in small scale operations but they are rather useless in large scale strategies. If a soldier can't be relied upon to trust in their commanders or at least faithfully execute the orders of their commanders they have no place on a national level battle field.

But these things happen in fake war so whatever. As it's already been said Alicia didn't do much of anything this ep but I'm not that surprised about that. I do find it rather odd that she is filling the role of XO of the unit while there are clearly more experianced and capable non-comms in the squad. But these things happen in fake war.. The battle was spiffy enough though the Imperial soldiers on the other side of the river seemed especially unprepared for a possible attack across the river...But these things happen in fake war.

It seems the attempts at 'realism' exhibited by this show have had the side-effect of screwing up my suspension of disbelief and sending my expectations for realism way out of control.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM
These Imperials need to put up more of a fight. Their overall incompetence and not-so-tense music kind of makes these battles look like a the optimistic Welkin. They're still good to watch, but I'm mainly watching it for the characters now that these battles have been rather underwhelming.

Hopefully the new bad guys coming next will change this.

Kraco
Thu, 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
If a soldier can't be relied upon to trust in their commanders or at least faithfully execute the orders of their commanders they have no place on a national level battle field.

There wasn't actually an instance in this episode when they didn't follow his orders. All they did was basically complaining and questioning his orders, and he didn't even demand they stop to doubt his skills or authority. Welkin chose that kind of an approach, and it encourages such behavior in older militia subordinates. They have no military training, so it's not like they would have been taught to shut up about their opinions like proper army grunts.

I do find it rather odd that she is filling the role of XO of the unit while there are clearly more experianced and capable non-comms in the squad. But these things happen in fake war..

I think we all would be rather surprised by the ways you got higher places in militaries and militias of the past... It could be different these days, but in the past it was as much about your connections and social standing as about your real skills.

The battle was spiffy enough though the Imperial soldiers on the other side of the river seemed especially unprepared for a possible attack across the river...But these things happen in fake war.

It wasn't a really big force by any reckoning, though. Just a few tanks and a limited group of men, based on this episode. It was a decent surprise attack and a good strategy of confusing the enemy to create chaos.

The most stupid thing in this episode was Welkin's sister's uniform. Or lack of, rather. Why does she wear some traditional Empire garb instead of the Gallian uniform like everybody else in the squad?

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I think we all would be rather surprised by the ways you got higher places in militaries and militias of the past... It could be different these days, but in the past it was as much about your connections and social standing as about your real skills.
The most stupid thing in this episode was Welkin's sister's uniform. Or lack of, rather. Why does she wear some traditional Empire garb instead of the Gallian uniform like everybody else in the squad?
Connections and social status make sense for Welkin, but not for Alicia. He's the son of a famous general, and he went to the University. Alicia said it herself (expanded in detail in the notes at the end of Ayako's eps 3), she's just a girl who works in the bakery of a little hamlet mill town.

Isara was wearing the militia uniform, stupidly enough. It is underneath her cloak if you look closely. Her shirt is different and her skirt is pleated, but the rest of the uniform is the same as the other girls in the squad. There's some variation in the uniforms, Rosie doesn't seem to be wearing a shirt at all, just that choker.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I agree with most of Kraco's points, but I do have to disagree with how Alicia got her position, like Ryl. The best reason I can think of is that she was assigned as XO in light of her previous experience with Welkin. The commander (or whatever she was) did assign Isara to Welkin. She might have added Alicia as a bonus, or thought that is what Welkin wanted.

animus
Thu, 04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
They are Militia after all which basically means they're full of volunteers from villages.

Kraco
Fri, 04-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Indeed. And Alicia was already seen as a hero from one succesful battle against the Empire. I was speaking in general terms before, not specifically about Alicia, while it's still true they knew she had a connection to Welkin. If we assume the others in this militia had even less experience, that made her automatically a veteren already (quite sad but true).

Besides, let's not forget she wasn't given her own squad. Maybe they thought serving under Welkin might turn her into a more respectable soldier. Furthermore, we have no reason to think she can't take care of little everyday details, leaving real planning and decisions to Welkin.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-29-2009, 04:33 AM
[twrev-Doremi].Valkyria.Chronicles.04.HDTV.[916B34F3].mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/doremi/%5Btwrev-Doremi%5D.Valkyria.Chronicles.04.HDTV.%5B916B34F3% 5D.mkv.torrent)

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-29-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing the contrast will be shown between Gregor who only considers his soldiers as tools to be used and discarded and Welkin who sees his soldiers as people who work harder when they are trusted and cared after?

Other than that, pretty tame episode. I am greatly amused by Jun Fukuyama playing another genius-Emperor character, I should have known.

Kraco
Thu, 04-30-2009, 01:05 AM
I have a feeling Welkin won't be walking straight into a trap, either. The hunter general was ideal to be trapped by the enemy since animals rarely orchestrate traps when being hunted.

But if Welkin succeeds in this (like he probably will), his fame should skyrocket.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM
And hopefully, Alicia does something worthy of being the main protagonist, other than being all tsundere and cute.

Nadouku
Thu, 04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Finally, Welkin's group gets a move on, and he has help from his friend, so lets see how they defeat the so called "Devil" in the forest battle next episode.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Other than that, pretty tame episode. I am greatly amused by Jun Fukuyama playing another genius-Emperor character, I should have known.

I reckon. It's funny how he sounds exactly the same as Lelouch, but only an octave or so lower.

Xelbair
Sun, 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
His badass voice was same in game too.
Too bad that they changed Largo's voice - original was way better.

There are some changes in the plot, which annoyed me deeply because original was way better. Their general was never cold blooded bastard in game - it might get troublesome later in plot, Jaeger have got minor appearance shifting - and this is way better than game, and they skipped one battle(imo important one)!

Good thing that they keep music from game, and bad that Edelweiss seems like super-fast tank. His parameters were compared to the Empire's Medium tank, which was slow as hell, and later through upgrades to the Heavy Tank. Nor it was a heavily armored tank. And largo was Lancer not Scout! (Lancer = anti-tank Lance, Shocktrooper = assault rifle, Scout = rifle) but thank god that Rosie is still a Shocktrooper. I hope to see Edelweiss changing as in game. And Allicia character is way different, she wasn't such lightheaded.

Plot in game was not one major battle and minor story, its was usually one battle, sometimes 2 but one of them was always short, and major part of story.

and ED is damn annoying, completely not in tone with anime/game.

I think that in 2 episodes you will get why people hate Darcsens.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Largo was Lancer not Scout! (Lancer = anti-tank Lance, Shocktrooper = assault rifle, Scout = rifle) but thank god that Rosie is still a Shocktrooper.

Largo (monkey-face) is a Lancer if those weapons are what determine what class they are. All they ever show is him shooting a rocket-lance in the OP. The anime just hasn't gotten to a point where infantry vs tank will occur. We'll probably see it next episode.

Speaking of characters, I assume that the girl in Squad 7 who looks exactly like Alicia is the same class? She's a classic palette swap (grey hair in pigtails, blue ribbons instead of a red handkerchief).

RyougaZell
Sun, 05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Speaking of characters, I assume that the girl in Squad 7 who looks exactly like Alicia is the same class? She's a classic palette swap (grey hair in pigtails, blue ribbons instead of a red handkerchief).

I was going to answer this but... it would be game info instead of anime... I haven't seen past episode 1. I'll probably catch up soon since I managed to finish the game a few days ago.

Question: Is Ayako cutting out the openings? I was browsing the episodes to look for the character you spoke of, but saw the files didn't had them. While it cuts down the size file I dislike when the groups do that. What other group is doing this series and is good?

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Ayako cut out the OP in eps 2, but it was back for eps 3. I've forgotten to download their version of eps 4 so far, so I don't know whether they are cutting them out or not anymore.

Kraco
Mon, 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Xelbair, lay off the game info dealing a bit, will you? I'm not going to edit this post of yours, but let's say that if in an anime thread most of your post content deals with the game, not the anime, you are way off course. I think you know what I mean, even if you loved the game and the anime doesn't seem to meet your expectations.

Yukimura
Mon, 05-04-2009, 01:47 AM
@RyougaZell The OP and ED for Ayako's releases.
Valk Chron - OP - [Ayako] (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_OP_%5Bh264%5D%5BD7 FFE568%5D.mkv.torrent)
Valk Chron - ED - [Ayako] (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_ED_%5Bh264%5D%5B56 530E02%5D.mkv.torrent)

Ayako is definitely doing ordered chapters (AKA loose OP/ED files), download the above files and put them in whatever directory you save the eps in and they should be added into the ep automatically when you watch the eps (regardless of their file names). I don't see much use for including the OP in every single ep either personally, but I suppose it's a matter of how much one likes looking at/listening to it.

Valk Chron - 04 - [Ayako] (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_04_%5Bh264%5D%5BC4 F606B7%5D.mkv.torrent)

If you don't like ordered chaps I'd wait around for/archive AniYoshi-Convclave. They'll probably be 1.5-2 weeks behind most of the time but they tend to do good work.

@episode: Still not liking Alicia within the overall context of the show (I think she'd be great in a show about her adventures in her home town). Whenever I start to get in a decent military fiction mood she shows up and just pisses all over it with her admittedly cute but ultimately undisciplined and disrespectful attitude. God forbid someone's shirt gets torn up on the battlefield...I feel like she'd demand they stop the battle so he could change into a new one lest her precious sensibilities be threatened. And how dare a General insult her by not treating her like God's gift to modern warfare.

On the military front it was nice to get a look at the enemy, though they seemed like pretty standard midboss archetypes. And the fact that that dickwad general survived his own foolishness is probably a clue that he'll be back at some point. That is kind of sad thought considering he managed to lose every man under his command for seemingly no gain. Then again, what would a military show be without at least one idiot in a position of power?

Xelbair
Mon, 05-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Well Kraco - you know what it is when they change something when they make a anime from game - fans will always bitch about it, and compare it to game...

Yukimura
Mon, 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't think anyone is disputing that fans of original source material might have stuff to say about the differences between the original and the anime adaptation. However it's long been the policy on Gotwoot that it's not fair to people who are fans of just the anime adaptation to have to be exposed to constant or overly elaborate comparisons to the original source material in the anime thread.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Ayako - Valyria Chronicles 05 (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_05_%5Bh264%5D%5B5F D65120%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Tue, 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I have to finally give in. The military side of this show is laughable and Alicia is completely unsuitable for military service. I simply can't come up with excuses any longer. Man, this was a sad episode.

RyougaZell
Tue, 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Reading the comments here, it saddens me the changes made to Alicia's character for the animation :(

Yuki: Thanks for the links. I downloaded them already. I do skip the openings now and then, but I kinda like to watch them once in a while, yet if they are skipped from the episodes I can't do that.

Nadouku
Tue, 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't see much wrong in this episode. In fact, I enjoyed it, although Edelweiss is such a monstrous tank to be able to take out all of the enemy's tank army.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't see much wrong in this episode. In fact, I enjoyed it, although Edelweiss is such a monstrous tank to be able to take out all of the enemy's tank army.

It's just that the battles we've been seeing now are a bit of a joke. Welkin hasn't been pulling off stuff that's REALLY spectacular like Lelouch, but the Imperials are getting owned left right and center anyway. Casualties are unrealistic too. So far, we've got one scratched leg.

I'd be lying if I say I'm not disappointed, but I can still accept this for what it is.

Meanwhile, I DEMAND A HANS PLUSHIE!!!

Kraco
Wed, 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM

First thing that bothered me was that the bunch was like a group of girl guides planning a picnic than a group of soldiers planning an attack against the enemy. For all they knew, they could all be dead after an hour, yet for Alicia the most important thing was to be allowed to take care of some wild pig suddenly extracted from its natural environment. Then they proceeded to complete a stealth attack during which they made as much noise as any elementary schooler group on an outing. As a finishing blow Alicia attacked by running into the open apparently trusting some higher power to keep the enemies from shooting her. That must have been her idea of showing how brave she can be, but in reality showed only she's an idiot.

The tank battle was so ridiculous I don't think I even need to say anything. The battles in this show are seemingly intended to be symbolic only, and the progress of the story somewhere else.

Nadouku
Wed, 05-06-2009, 12:50 AM
I see. I understand it better from your point of view, but I really don't have much experience in those kind of fighting to know the basics really well, so I can't agree much, even though I would like to. Like you said, Alicia rushing in is an idiot to one side, but to another, she might be displaying courage.

Yukimura
Wed, 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM
ALICIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA JENNNNNNKIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!!!! I wonder how many nails is she's going to embed in the coffin of her credibility as anything but a fluff character with a gun before this show is over...

There's a blurry line between courage and sheer stupidity. A stupid action taken in desperation might qualify as courageous but when one is part of a squad and that squad has several options for how to approach an objective pulling a Leeroy Jenkins rather than planning out a strategy is not courageous it's just stupid.

If Ms. Jenkins had at least waited for someone in her squad to take out the sniper in the guard tower or at least coordinated her charge with the others in the squad I wouldn't have found it all that terrible, but no. Not only did Alicia just charge in like a raging bull with no plan but she ignored her superior officer's orders in doing so while at the same time inciting the rest of the squad to follow her thus putting all of them in danger completely of her own volition.

Running at the enemy with nothing but the power of your burning soul to protect you works great in shounen anime but it looks retarded from a military standpoint no matter how you slice it. Judging by the way Alicia never seems to show fear or regret even after being shot for the first time maybe she has enough genre savvy to know that bullets never actually hit anyone in her universe (unless they are aimed at Imperial soldiers, and even then only sometimes) and that wounds are never fatal (or even debilitating) if you are loud enough and charge into fights enough. It's too bad she's on this show and not Gurren Lagann, I think she'd make a great addition to their cast.

Xelbair
Wed, 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
It is downside of this anime i see... they f***d up best aspect of the game - strategy. I was expecting great tactical duels between Welkin and any of the Maximillian's generals but noo - we get shitty jenkins style action.

Archangel
Thu, 05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Wasn't that alot of commotion for just a bullet graze wound? -_-

Also that's one hell of a fucking amazing tank. So much so that i'm sure it'll fuck up any chance of making these fights look realistic at all.

Kraco
Tue, 05-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Let's see how the military genius Alicia surprises us this time:

Episode 6 - Ayako (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_06_%5Bh264%5D%5BD1 169804%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - - -

Edit: Fortunately there was no war for Alicia to spoil in this episode, but she had ample opportunities to underestimate and scoff at her commander's personality and intelligence. On the other hand, the reporter showed far more understanding and maturity, so it was all well in the end, despite Alicia's best efforts.

Now that I think more deeply about this issue, maybe Alicia's role in the squad is to make sure Welkin's plans are totally idiot-proof...

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
This episode nearly made me drop the series.

It was downright terrible. I started to skim the episode once the fight broke out. I said it elsewhere already, but this series is becoming more and more like Minami-ke: Okawari Chronicles than an actual war anime. It’s yet another Marina Inoue character with over the top reaction expressions. Minami-ke (Kana), Sekirei (Tsukiumi), Skip Beat! (Kyoko), and now this. If it was supposed to be a light-hearted war parody/comedy like Hetalia - Axis Powers, it would be great. However, I expected a serious war series with rare comedy relief scenes. Something like Geass, the serious arcs of Full Metal Panic, or particularly something like Macross.

I honestly don't think I have a single good thing to say about this episode.
Irene's reel-to-reel recorder suddenly becoming an amp when Rosie had the mike was probably what got to me the most. Even as a gag, that's beyond retarded.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Maybe you should drop the expectations and take it as a comedy then? For most of this anime, it has never shown anything close to a realistic depiction of war or battle. Watching this for something like that would be like expecting KGNE drama in Hatsukoi Limited.

I actually enjoyed this episode quite a bit, for the same reason Kraco didn't hate it as much. There was no idiotic battle, just simple comedy and a bit of character development.

I see Alicia completely as a comic relief character now, so I am not disappointed when she fulfills her role. Welkin is still a pretty cool protagonist IMHO.

Nadouku
Wed, 05-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Meh, I kind of enjoyed this episode. I liked how the guy tried to ambush Isara and gets wrenched to the face. :p

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Maybe you should drop the expectations and take it as a comedy then? For most of this anime, it has never shown anything close to a realistic depiction of war or battle. Watching this for something like that would be like expecting KGNE drama in Hatsukoi Limited.
Well, with all the good word that had come down from the game, and the OP animation, I was still holding out, hoping that this series would turn itself around and get serious. It's still not even that well done for comedy. I'd rather rewatch the third series of Minami-ke to get the same effect (the average level of animation wouldn't even be that much lower).

I have only the lowest expectations for it now. It just took me a little longer to get there.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-13-2009, 06:10 AM
A wrench in the face seems to be the fad this week (http://randomc.maximum7.net/image/Fullmetal%20Alchemist/Fullmetal%20Alchemist%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2011.jpg).

On the other hand, I just loved how this guy (http://randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image/Valkyria%20Chronicles/Valkyria%20Chronicles%20-%2006%20-%20Large%20Preview%2001.jpg) had an entirely different take on "loosening up".

The main character interactions here remind me of Allison & Lillia more than anything.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Ayako - Valkyria Chronicles 07 (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/%5BAyako%5D_Valkyria_Chronicles_07__OP1.5_%5Bh264% 5D.torrent)

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Ramal is such a whiny little bitch. There was even strong evidence for a yaoi vibe going on.

The rest of this episode was pretty interesting. Selvaria and Alicia both seem to have a strong connection to the Darcsen Ruins. If the Emperor is going to go after this mysterious lance, what equally large revelation did Faldio discover on their side of the ruins?

Kraco
Wed, 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Why are they wandering around without their rifles? They are soldiers and it's a war. Though according to the preview, following best rpg customs, at least Alicia willl draw a pistol out of nowhere.

Still, this was a lot better episode than the previous one. Ramal the male tsundere made it no worse in my opinion, after I noticed he's a tsundere. It looks like the plot will now move really forward with them searching the ruins. Who knows, maybe the name of the series will somehow be justified. Although to be honest I'm almost more interested in the dark past of the Darcsen than their enemies the Valkyrias.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-20-2009, 02:21 AM
I hated Ramal. Male tsunderes should be made extinct. I really don't care much about the war plot since if I did I am bound to be disappointed, but I am quite interested by the love triangle (or is just an angle since Welkin is such a dense airhead [oxymoron and exaggeration at the same time FTW]) that is developing. I hope Alicia gets attracted to Faldio first. I wonder how Welkin would react, if he does at all.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Agreed. Tsunderes don't come off as being very manly at all. At least now he's being set straight. Or he's a bi.

I noticed you guys liked this episode more. I also noticed there was no tank action this week. Correlation? :rolleyes:

Nadouku
Wed, 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Interesting history about the Darcen and Valkyrurs. I wonder what finding this "holy lance" will bring to the Emperor's side? Aside from that, I wasn't annoyed at Ramal's tsundere actions, but to treat Isara like that because she's a Darcen is pretty rude of him.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I think it was made clear that he was not treating Isara badly because she was Darcen. That is the entire point of everyone calling him a tsundere.

Archangel
Thu, 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
What's the difference between this and the original opening?

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
The one extra line of the song at the end and a longer shot of Alicia and Welkin, implying romance(?).

just because I felt like neg repping you
Aww, I feel like neg repping you too. Just let me know who you are :p

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm really hoping for romance to develop between those two. That is practically the only thing making me watch this show.

Nadouku
Thu, 05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I hope so too, since Alicia might have some feelings toward Welkin, as small as it is.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-21-2009, 08:36 PM
She does? I thought she showed more of an attraction to Faldio...

Nadouku
Thu, 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Faldio can have Ramal when that happens. :p

She probably does if I didn't notice it by now, since I've been more mesmorized by the Welkin and Alicia moments (when they're talking or walking or whatever) more than any other situation that comes into play.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Welkin's more the guy Alicia feels at home with, despite his oddities, as well as admires. Faldio keeps hitting on her though, and she feels assertiveness, lack of modesty, and arguably better good looks.

Archangel
Sat, 05-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Too bad Faldio is a goner

Seriously i've had that feeling since the first time i saw him, i just know he's gonna die somehow

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I finally caught up to episode 7.
I definitely love the fact this series gives more screentime and lines to the Squad Members. Also love the fact they use in-game music in several scenes, like the injuries on Episode 2 has background music of when a soldier dies ingame.

Most of Faldio's Squad is also in-game. A very nice addition on the series.

Ellet's episode was very fun. Specially when she was interviewing the squad. Guess you can't totally appreciate this episode unless you played the game.

Selvaria rulez. Oh... and Marina's comment of 'where is hans?' while eating was gold.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM
[Nipponsei] Valkyria Chronicles ED Single - Ano Kaze ni Notte [pe'zmoku].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Valkyria%20Chronicles%20ED%20Sin gle%20-%20Ano%20Kaze%20ni%20Notte%20%5Bpe%27zmoku%5D.zip. torrent)

Nadouku
Wed, 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM
[Ayako] Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 8: Download (http://a.scarywater.net/ayako/[Ayako]_Valkyria_Chronicles_08_[h264][D15F716C].mkv.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Man, despite the slow episode, I thoroughly enjoyed the character interactions, particularly this:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9974/shot1yaz.jpg

-Woohoo for Alicia X Welkin pairing! While I'm glad it's finally going somewhere, with Alicia taking the initiative, that flashback suggests "wooing" Welkin will be a much harder task than we initially thought.

-So first we had Lelouch Maximillian, followed by Suzaku Selvaria. Character design wise, Villeta would be a better comparison however.

-Lastly, cute animal overload :o

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-28-2009, 06:37 AM
I bet Welkin already has feelings for Alicia. He is just too busy sketching stuff to express it. Alicia just needs to loosen his belt and down goes the pants.

EDIT: I didn't expect this show to take a supernatural turn. Now, people are slicing bullets with swords. I guess any expectations for war realism were in vain from the get go.

Kraco
Thu, 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
They really are dedicating time to strange things in this series. We had like half an episode spent in trying to get out of bloody ruins. Meanwhile, the story progressed very moderately. At least we got that sudden boost in Alicia-Welkin relationship.

I wish those lizards had been man-eaters...

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
They sure looked the part.

Nadouku
Thu, 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Supernatural, indeed. From guns and tanks to super powers that can cut bullets in a flash. Not that I mind that stuff as long as they make it interesting. I hope Alicia and Welkin get to know each other better... and less Ramal.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
The middle part of this episode was largely filler. Sure, some of it was decent character development for Welkin via Faldio, but most of it was just wasting time. Ramal needs to die, and soon. He is just obnoxious. If he was overtly gay like the one guy from Squad 7, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

I'll let it all go if it turns out he is secretly a woman in disguise, as part of an elaborate plan to get closer romantically to Faldio, like Shakespeare or so many shoujo titles.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
A bisexual woman in disguise? I don't know how I would react to that. At least it's new...

Nadouku
Thu, 05-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Even if that were to happen, I still wouldn't like Ramal. It would be quite a twist, though.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-29-2009, 12:22 AM
He's probably not gay. Just gay for Faldio. I'll wait and see how Isara's straightening plan works out before I pass judgement.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM
But if he is a she, then she would be gay for being attracted to Isara.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Pesky Alicia coming out of a building collapse completely unscathed, but she's spechul so whatever. I'm finding it difficult to decide who irritates me more between Istvan and Alicia though I do enjoy pondering the issue. Istvan is so much more blatant and consistent with his harsh and negative behavior that it seems like a no brainer but I end up feeling pity for him for displaying such obvious insecurity and confusion while trying to act tough all the time. It would be quite a laugh if he turned out to be a reverse trap.

OBTW...wasn't this ep supposed to reveal details about the Darcsen calamity? I don't feel like we learned anything about it other than that the Valkyrur were involved somehow.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
...Istvan=Ramal?

Archangel
Tue, 06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Male tsunderes are just too annoying to live ...

Pandadice
Mon, 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm thinking Ramal is one of them Darcsens.

dude, that labor camp was seriously messed up..

so far so good. I've actually started like, watching an episode of the show, and then playing a chapter of the Game. it's pretty cool so far.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-09-2009, 03:57 AM
The translator for Ayako's quit Valk Chron.

Naturally, there'll be delays as they recruit and test a new translator.

http://ayakofansubs.info/

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Can't say I blame that person. While I slammed my expectations for this show down on the ground, I still feel fleeting moments of disappointment whenever I see something unbelievably stupid simple or simply unbelievable in this show.

There are still good parts though, so I keep watching it for those, while waiting for the romance between the 2 leads to develop. The greater plot for this show should be good, since people seem to love the game (which hopefully is mainly, or at least partly because of the story).

Nadouku
Tue, 06-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I guess we'll wait for another translator to jump in or another release group to post. The anime wasn't that horrible, since it entertained me a while enough. However, I can see the flaw in bringing a very overpowered tank to the field and letting it decimate a whole Imperial army. There's really very little tactic involved with that kind of power.

Pandadice
Tue, 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
The greater plot for this show should be good, since people seem to love the game (which hopefully is mainly, or at least partly because of the story).

well.. in the show they just add in all that useless junk that isn't in the game.. not to mention the fights in the anime are just ridiculous.. like, she's standing there, takes shots at the dudes face, then he tells his troops to open fire on her, they all open fire and all hit the dirt at her feet, and she runs to the side for cover.. that whole situation was just ridiculous and looked stupid.. considering the lack of focus on the fights, this isn't really turning out that good.. if anything i'm just watching this because it's a valkyria chronicles based anime. not for any positive reasons :\

On a side note, we may have found a replacement translator.

so maybe it's not that big of deal?

Archangel
Tue, 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Considering the crap that has come this season i take VC has a blessing from our Lord Jesus Christ ...

I don't know about the game but the anime is decent with good art, a plot that doesn't bore me and unusual characters

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
well.. in the show they just add in all that useless junk that isn't in the game.. not to mention the fights in the anime are just ridiculous.. like, she's standing there, takes shots at the dudes face, then he tells his troops to open fire on her, they all open fire and all hit the dirt at her feet, and she runs to the side for cover.. that whole situation was just ridiculous and looked stupid.. considering the lack of focus on the fights, this isn't really turning out that good.. if anything i'm just watching this because it's a valkyria chronicles based anime. not for any positive reasons :\

Tell that to the pathetic fool that gave me a neg rep stating I was being too harsh on this show in my previous post. Heck, I even stated that there are good parts (Silveria! who kinda looks like C.C. btw), and that I am watching it for those. Some people are just too stupid, or can't read.

RyougaZell
Tue, 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Tell that to the pathetic fool that gave me a neg rep stating I was being too harsh on this show in my previous post. Heck, I even stated that there are good parts (Silveria! who kinda looks like C.C. btw), and that I am watching it for those. Some people are just too stupid, or can't read.

LOL... sorry... I couldn't help but lol. Yeah... I can understand what you mean.

Yesterday I finished the Download Content of the game... you should really get it Shinta. Its completely worth getting a PS3 just to play this jewel.

Anyways... Selvaria rocks...

As painful as the anime version is for some... I can't help but cringe at the idiot translator who left Ayako. Not because he dropped the show... he is free to dislike it... but because he said he preferred Queen's Blade... yeah right.

Pandadice
Tue, 06-09-2009, 09:44 PM

nah, don't worry dude. happened to me too.

Nadouku
Sat, 06-13-2009, 07:53 AM
[Gleam] Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 9: HD (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=69536)
[Gleam] Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 10: HD (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=69705)

Archangel
Sat, 06-13-2009, 08:25 AM
How do those guys compare to Ayako?

Nadouku
Sat, 06-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Good enough to watch.

Episode nine was a pure Imperial episode, so no Welkin and Alicia. It also shows that there are traitors amongst the grand army (not surprisingly), and some people are trying to get rid of Maximillian. However, those assassins are only trained to take out the grunts because Maximillian himself seems to possess some mystic strength to take them out easily. Not a bad episode, though.

Episode ten (I think shinta|hikari might love this) is a very heavily Welkin x Alicia. I'm kind of surprised that Welkin noticed small changes in the weather to take cover in the snowstorm, but that's Welkin for ya. It was pretty warming to see Welkin get shy and try to change the subject before Alicia became lovey with him.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I was very surprised about Alicia making the move on Welkin, and in such a direct manner too. I'm even more surprised Welkin denied such an obvious advance. Is he in love with Faldio or something?

Nadouku
Sun, 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm guessing love is secondary to Welkin at the moment (or at all) due to the war and his strange hobbies. Ramal would be so pissed off if that was the case. :p

Nadouku
Thu, 06-18-2009, 01:11 AM
[Gleam] Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 11: HD (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=70471)

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I find that the episodes with Selvaria are so much better than the episodes without her. Even when she isn't the primary focus. At least the story is finally starting to pick up. Emotionally dead Mamiko Noto character again...I'm a little mixed on. For the love of god, her agent needs to get her in another role like Muto from Moyashimon. She sounds so much hotter that way.

While episode 9 was great, but the latter half of episode 10 was an absolute chore to watch. I've seen that plot (enemy soldiers trapped in isolated location together, hosilty, then "We're all just human.") far too many times.

Nadouku
Thu, 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Only other time I've seen it was in Zero no Tsukaima, and I didn't like it that much. Episode eleven was fine, but that princess sure has strange garments to wear to the party, let alone get kidnapped by a few people.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Selvaria is absolutely awesome. Hot and cold at the same time.

Archangel
Thu, 06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Selvaria is absolutely awesome. Hot and cold at the same time.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/kyria2012/Code%20Geass/Cc-1-1-1.jpg

I prefer the original

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-19-2009, 04:34 AM
I prefer the original
Yeah, me too.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5404/yuuko1h.jpg

Oops, wrong witch. But at least mine is still voiced by Sayaka Ohara :p

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I had to laugh a few times as I caught up on the last 3 eps. Particularly at Ramal stealing peeks at Ishara. Maybe male Tsunderes will be fun to watch after all.

Contrary to Ryll, I mightn't have seen enough of the "enemies soldier meeting" scenarios that the effect wears off, so that was quite good, though still standard.

The Empire's got to have pretty good intelligence to see that kidnap coming before the Gallian themselves. There's really no point in sending to agents to "pull influence" at a party.

The fact Maximillian sent Selvaria even though she's neither the shrewd nor negotiating type leaves her combat ability.

Faldio should just hurry the hell up and make his move on Alicia. What's with the wait? If he wins, he gets his girl. If not, then it puts pressure on Welkin. Might even have a spillover effect on Ramal.

I was very surprised about Alicia making the move on Welkin, and in such a direct manner too. I'm even more surprised Welkin denied such an obvious advance. Is he in love with Faldio or something?

Nope. Rhinoceros beetles

Alicia should just do an Oily Mackerel cosplay. That'll turn him on :D

Nadouku
Thu, 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
[Gleam] Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 12: HD (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=71767)

I just noticed this as I rewatched the episodes, but Alicia got a bust upgrade. She was pretty flat in the game, but I like it. :p

Archangel
Thu, 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
No episode number...?

Nadouku
Thu, 06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Not like you won't know what the episode number is when you download it, but for your convienence, I'll add it. A fine episode, I must say. I don't know why I liked it, but it has a dangerous atmosphere to it. Of course, it still doesn't compete with episode ten for my all-time favorite!

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-26-2009, 02:06 AM
The ending of the episode was somewhat underwhelming. So the princess was going to make sure everything happens exactly as before. The courage or whatever Welkin and Alicia gave her only got her up onto her feel and jump. Now she's back to her old, placid self?

No Selvaria action was a bit of a letdown too, but she shouldn't need to do anything to grunts like them.

The preview reminded me of Lydia's "sent to a mine and become an object of comfort for brawny men" speech.

Kraco
Fri, 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
The ending of the episode was somewhat underwhelming.

Seconded. I expected the reporter girl to fill in the main chars of the missing piece, but apparently she didn't tell them anything of what she heard and saw. And so the dirty prime minister will still take care of everything and the princess will sit silent and continue to look like a mouse.

The only thing missing now is the prime minister getting rid of the main characters, because they were too stupid to find out who orchestrated it all and thus left the culprit in power. You'd think they would have interrogated the kidnappers, at least.

Archangel
Fri, 06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
It's pretty idiotic how they weren't able to put the pieces together and figure out who was truly behind the abduction. The princess of a country get kidnapped and they act like nothing happened, no investigation no nothing.

Faldio is gonna die... i'm pretty sure of it.

And as for the preview, lol at the rape and bigger lol at the war train...

That train better be one hell of a long distance weapon or i'll just completely give up on any strategical component this anime tries to deliver from now on

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM
That train better be one hell of a long distance weapon or i'll just completely give up on any strategical component this anime tries to deliver from now onYou are probably better off giving up on any hope for strategy now. While this show came from a strategy rpg, they seem to be going more for the character development and romance angle than anything else. Even the main story seems cast aside at times.

You want strategy, watch SSO (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2745). Trade off there though. Too many characters to even remember their names aside from the main five or six, and character development only on one of them. But for strategy? There are few series that come close, and even fewer that equal.

This episode was kind of lame, but my expectations for this show have declined steadily. As long as the level of animation stays up to keep Alicia's eyes that wonderful almond shape, and Selvaria shows up from time to time to kick some serious ass, I'll be quite content.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
I see you have finally seen the light (or darkness?) when it comes to this show.

I think the reason why strategy is not the main focus is because of the source material. Since it is a strategy game, the actual planning and battles are left to the player, and is therefore not really part of the story itself. Without a ready source of planned out battles, the burden goes to the anime makers to make up for it, and it seems the burden wasn't worth carrying for them.

Selvaria needs more screen time. When will anime makers realize that characters like Selvaria need to be made main characters more often (like C.C. and Yuuko)?

RyougaZell
Sun, 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Just saw the last 4 episodes by gleam since ayako is pretty much dead on the Valkyria front.
Nice set of episodes. Although I wonder how they are going to manage from now on with a major change that took place...

I want a 2nd Valkyria Chronicles game =(

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-01-2009, 06:10 AM
[gleam] Valkyria Chronicles 13 [720p x264][2ecff280].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=72673)

Archangel
Wed, 07-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Ayako, R.I.P.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-01-2009, 06:19 AM
They're still subbing other shows, but their interest in Valkyria's certainly on the low side. Not unjustified I suppose.

Kraco
Wed, 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM
The strategy meeting was brilliant. They divided the people into teams and... then it's already straight to the "any questions?" part. How about the actual plans to take down the targets, eh? Timing? Even chimpanzees have better strategy meetings than these people before an attack.

They really should build some bombers as well. Would be easy enough to take down one huge train cannon.

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
They really should build some bombers as well. Would be easy enough to take down one huge train cannon.

Although this series is set in an Alternate Universe, with all the Rangdrite and all that... do remember this story is set in an age where men is yet to fly. So... no bombers.

Kraco
Wed, 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Although this series is set in an Alternate Universe, with all the Rangdrite and all that... do remember this story is set in an age where men is yet to fly. So... no bombers.

Yeah, well, I have kind of noticed that myself. However, the general level of technology seems to be around early-WWII era, so they are actually very late at inventing that skill.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Heh, tactics much?? Just take them down!! :confused:

It should be an exciting episode next week, but most it's most likely going to be one full of BS tactics, much like this briefing.

The "Devil" or whatever the Imperial commander's name is really has let old age get to him, or he's just overconfident about his battle tank. He even said himself that the Gallian army won't even get close to them. Doesn't that prompt the thought of a non-direct approach?

I'm not familiar at all with artillery recoil/caliber, but I can tell sitting such a large train with a powerful (I presume) cannon on bridge like that? He's asking to get it dropped.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I think it's time we realize that in this alternate universe, not only planes, but also battle tactics have not been invented yet.

I could have come up with a better strategy (and story for that matter) in 5 minutes. And no, I am not exaggerating.

I am going to cry if Max also pulls this kind of idiotic behavior using Lelouch's voice.

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Well... the game DID had you run around the map avoiding the Cannon's attacks... in front of Gregor... lolz

Kraco
Thu, 07-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm not familiar at all with artillery recoil/caliber, but I can tell sitting such a large train with a powerful (I presume) cannon on bridge like that? He's asking to get it dropped.

Well, howitzers have been employing recoil dampening since before WWI, so it's reasonable to believe the giant piece of artillery installed into that train does as well. However, the first thing I was also thinking when I saw it on the bridge was how an absolutely vulnerable position it is. It doesn't matter how armored the train is if a couple of charges of dynamite could take the bridge from under it.

Nadouku
Thu, 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Mission briefing was bluntly put, but I bought it. I wonder how Rosie's hatred of Darcens came to be about. I'm kind of interested in that tidbit.

Kraco
Thu, 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I bet she confessed her (first) love to a Darcsen guy, but got turned down. Ever since she has hated them all. Trust me, that's how it is.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Maybe she raped a Darcsen guy, but then got emotionally scarred after realizing the guy didn't climax even once during the entire affair.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-07-2009, 08:51 AM
We can expect some delay since there's a new OP for Valkyria Chronicles.

OP contains potentially spoiling content!! - not like you won't run into it watching the next episode, but whatever.

Entertain yourselves with OP2 here: http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/07/04/what-the-hell-valkyria-spoilers/

I like it, since it's pretty flashy, and the song's not bad from first hearing. Depending on how you look at it though, the OP sequence can either be called "relighting the embers of interest in this show" or "massive spoilers", as the link suggests.

RyougaZell
Tue, 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
LOL.
I wasn't expecting for them to show THAT on the opening. It was quite a nice and slow development on the game... I commented at randomc about it actually.

BTW Bill... why do you expect a delay when the episode 14 was released 2 days ago?

[gleam] Valkyria Chronicles 14 [720p x264][6cff6e0f].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=73554)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM
BTW Bill... why do you expect a delay when the episode 14 was released 2 days ago?

[gleam] Valkyria Chronicles 14 [720p x264][6cff6e0f].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=73554)

Because I fail at finding releases :p

That was a bit unbelievable for me. Do tanks normally look like that when they've been hit by underground explosives? All I know is that mines normally disable the caterpillar tracks, so I'm a bit surprised the place is catching on fire and all.

I have to wonder how much of Welkin's indecisiveness is linked to his indecisiveness of whether he wants to pursue Alicia or not.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Rather than a link, it just means that Welkin is indecisive when it comes to cases where an optimum solution does not exist. If it comes down to making the dirty decision where no one wins, he seems to lose confidence in his judgment. It is not necessarily a negative quality though, since it reflects his kind nature.

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Im rather surprised the Darcsen deaths came around to an order given by Faldio in this version. The original source handled it differently.

I actually like the ending sequence a lot. At least visually.

Fun fact of episode 13... Vyse of Skies of Arcadia appeared only to die. LOL.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I can only guess the game had Isara replacing Faldio then, from the recent developments we've had, and the shot of her denying the Imperial's ways.

What's weird about the new OP2 is it looks so clean. I wonder why they didn't apply the same colour shading style they're using for the rest of the episode.

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Nah...
In the game you never rescued the Darcsens. And Gregor simply ordered them to be burned alive inside their storerooms.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Ah, so that's how it goes. The added material was needed to give some character development for Rosie then.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Gleam - Episode 15 (http://www.mininova.org/get/2763209)

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Valkyria Chronicles 2 has been announced for PSP... I hope one of the episodes airs a trailer soon. Im excited already :D

Archangel
Wed, 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
PSP?? Wooooo!

/dance

Fuck the Ps3 :D

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/1/1/8/4/4/3.jpg

Manliness
You can't catch it.

Nadouku
Thu, 07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Got around to watching these two episodes. They were fair, I guess, but the opening is what I liked the best. ;)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-17-2009, 03:38 AM
You mean the spoiler-fest that airs before the show? I guess the music sounds nice.

The recent episodes have slowly started to focus on the love triangle. Welkin obviously likes Alicia as well. He should stop denying it and confront the other two angles.

Archangel
Fri, 07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
It really is a spoiler fest? Crap...

Well i always assumed there would be more to Alicia than met the eye anyway, this just confirmed it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
The recent episodes have slowly started to focus on the love triangle. Welkin obviously likes Alicia as well. He should stop denying it and confront the other two angles.

I'm not sure if Welkin actually realises he likes Alicia, of if he still doesn't understand why he feels uncomfortable seeing Faldio make his moves. Either way, he's backing out, probably because he feels guilty of getting too close to his buddy's prey.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-26-2009, 01:33 AM
How to pursue a girl:

Gleam - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=76163)

Nadouku
Sun, 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
To be honest, what I liked was the fact that Ramal spent some time with Isara while Welkin is still insecured about what to actually do about Alicia (and Faldio). Something needs to be resolved, and quick!

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I think I am going to drop this series. It can't even keep my attention during an episode anymore. It takes me four or five tries to finish each episode lately.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-27-2009, 02:42 AM
The only thing that didn't really go as expected was Isara. I believe it's the first time she's actually played someone around like that, not even her brother. It adds a nice touch to her otherwise generic good-girl character.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Gleam - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=77412)

RyougaZell
Tue, 07-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Episode 17... muahahaha :D

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-29-2009, 03:32 AM
That was actually pretty good. Isara's "death" wasn't heart wrenching, but something moved. I think it was more the empathy for Rosie finally letting go of it all, then having another person taken away from her again.

With the recent developments, I'm currently more of an Isara fan than an Alicia.

Again, strategy took the back seat after character development. Why didn't you just bring smokescreen launchers? Is it a rare invention or something?

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Yes.
Isara just invented them.
They didn't exist in this alternate universe.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes.
Isara just invented them.
They didn't exist in this alternate universe.

I'll assume you're serious. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll assume you're serious. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

The anime failed to explain it...
The game specially made you know this. She DID invent them for this alternate universe...

Nadouku
Wed, 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh my God... why did they have to kill someone that I liked! :(

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
The anime failed to explain it...
The game specially made you know this. She DID invent them for this alternate universe...

Wait... what?

Why did the enemy soldiers realize (and even shout out) that Welkin and the others are using a smokescreen strategy if it had just been invented then?

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Plot mistake?

Actually... what Isara invented was the Tank Bullets full of Smoke. That point was driven into our skull several times during the game.

I dunno. Im just pointing out what the game did and why they didn't had launchers like Bill suggested.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh my God... why did they have to kill someone that I liked! :(

I sure hope she isn't dead. It didn't fee quite as powerful as a real death scene, and the whole flow was ruined by showing a shot of Welkin and their victory in between. I can see that they're trying to show they won at a price, but it wasn't done as well as I would have liked. Still, I felt something tug. Minimal, but it was there.

[GAME SPOILER]>> I couldn't stand the wait, so I went and check out what happened in the game. Supposedly, Isara really does die, but it doesn't necessarily mean she'll really die for sure in the anime counterpart. Reason is, the anime hasn't introduced the replacement tank driver yet, and have also given a lot more character development to Isara. Ramal is also a new character.

I've said this before, but since things like story and plot are out the window, all that's really left here is the characters. It really doesn't help for them to kill of my favourite character, as well as possibly my favourite pairing.

If they really are going to kill her off, they should have really tried hard to make it seem like a real death scene (ie emotional). My first reaction before learning about the game was "Oh, that was shocking. Meh, she'll be back."<<[END SPOILERS]

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
[Nipponsei] Valkyria Chronicles ED2 Single - Hitotsu no Negai [Inoue Hikari].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Valkyria%20Chronicles%20ED2%20Si ngle%20-%20Hitotsu%20no%20Negai%20%5BInoue%20Hikari%5D.zip .torrent)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Gleam - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=78932)

Nadouku
Fri, 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I know Welkin takes the biggest toll here for losing Isara, but his decisions are pretty self-centered if he thinks it's the best for his squad (and for anyone else). Alicia already confessed, but got rejected, and even Faldio's starting to show his own anger over Welkin's foolishness. Welkin needs to shapen up, and quick!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm on Welkin's side on this one. You can't really expect someone who has lost someone that integral to their life to make logical, smart decisions. He is obviously killing his emotions just to stay sane, and everyone around him acts as if they want him to "cheer up" and act like he always did. That expectation in itself is unfair, and self-centered. Alicia adding to the problem by confessing is a fantastic way to top it off.

Faldio punching Welkin reminds me of a scene in Ef. No matter what excuse he makes, Faldio hit him because of his own frustration. The girl he likes likes Welkin after all. Other factors might contribute, but that would be the most relevant one.

Faldio complaining about losing his subordinates was stupid IMO. He lost comrades, but Welkin lost a comrade, and probably the closest living person in his life, who he has known and depended on since childhood, who he considered as family. I really can't see how this can compare.

I am not saying Welkin has the right to act emo forever (it isn't even emo really, since he is killing his emotions, the opposite of being emo), but he at least has that right for now, without people badgering him to act the way they want him to act.

Nadouku
Fri, 08-07-2009, 03:14 AM
They want him to cheer up because they fear that his depression might be affected upon his leadership and that probably reduces the overall morale of his people. He can't lead his squad to victory if he can't lead himself correctly. I do understand that this might take a while for Welkin to solve on his own, if that will be the case in the next few episodes.

RyougaZell
Fri, 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Death cannot be solved withing a day Flonne... err.. Nadouku.
I share shinta's view on this. The one hurting the most is Welkin... and the only one that can probably get him out of it is himself. Alicia and his squad can try and get him out of it... but not that soon. The funeral was just... what? 1 day ago? 2 days ago?

Nadouku
Fri, 08-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Yea, I understand. Hopefully, he can pull himself out of the hole and right back on spot before another major battle comes forth. I don't want him to lose his ability to command when hurt.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Shoot. Isara really did die. :(

I'll forgive them for having a lackluster death scene last episode since they made an entire mourning episode this time.

It was powerful in a different way. Isara's death speech wasn't terribly touching, but it was everyone's reactions that made up for it. While I've normally disliked Welkin's approach to touchy matters, I completely empathised with him this time. The guy's trying so hard to keep the team together and not fall into a complete mess. It actually ached to see him hold it in like that.

Yukimura
Sat, 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeesh, I thought the squads reactions to Welkein not acting like a whiny teenager were rather harsh and foolish. It felt like the crew wanted him to 'be one of them' and boohoo about it like they all were. He seemed to be dealing with his grief in a way that made sense to him, suppressing it and burying himself in his work (IMO that's what a man, especially a man at war ought to do). Regardless of my personal views though I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone how they should or shouldn't grieve. It really irks me to see people who are grieving in a certain way insinuate that someone who isn't behaving like them isn't 'really' grieving or is somehow disrespecting the memory of the person being grieved for.

Alicia's behavior, especially her confession, struck me as begging for attention and comfort from Welkin because she couldn't deal with her grief without bringing someone else down with her (because I think she's weak like that). It just added more fuel to my Alicia-hating flames to see her trying to make demands on Welkin to comfort her after he lost more than any of the people under him. I don't fault Welkin one bit for not wanting to add dealing with her conflicted, tsundere, whiny crap on top of dealing with his own feelings at having lost his closest relative.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Those are my exact sentiments.

Alicia needs a wake up call, and I hope Faldio dies, or gets humiliated, preferably both.

michelous
Sun, 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Raw discussion is not allowed. Please read the GW rules.

RyougaZell
Sun, 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
We don't discuss raw episodes. Do remember that...

Nadouku
Sun, 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I hope Faldio dies, or gets humiliated, preferably both.

Yea, Faldio adding to the problem was not even necessary. Just because Alicia got hurt? Give Welkin's poor soul a break, sheesh!

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Alicia hurt herself. What did she expect Welkin to say after her one-sided sermon, followed by a random and inappropriate confession?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-10-2009, 01:40 AM
While Welkin has my sympathy, and I don't blame him for his current state, I thought his "Why does it matter, you're (Faladio's) here" was pretty insensitive. Understandable and perhaps forgivable, but still insensitive.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-10-2009, 04:09 AM
That was him lashing out against Faldio who also started giving a one-sided sermon, followed by a random and inappropriate (because he doesn't know what happened) accusation. I don't even think Welkin needs to be forgiven for that remark.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Gleam - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=79762)

[Nipponsei] Valkyria Chronicles OP2 Single - Kanashimi Rensa [MARIA].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Valkyria%20Chronicles%20OP2%20Si ngle%20-%20Kanashimi%20Rensa%20%5BMARIA%5D.zip.torrent)

-----------------------------------------
I'm pleasantly surprised. Drawn-out death episode generally make me groan, but the managed to keep tugging my heart strings even throughout this episode. It's like as Welkin says, it hurts, but the tears won't come. I'm glad they finished it all up though, since I was nearing my limit too.

Valkyria Magic fight next episode -> I wasn't expecting that.

Nadouku
Fri, 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Good to know that Welkin has finally let it out of his system. It's already painful enough to see him bottle it up and be reminded of Isara when he entered Bruhl, but seeing him cry, for the first time, seemed satisfying to know that he's on the road to recovery... and holding hands with Alicia felt warming, too.

RyougaZell
Sun, 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
[gleam] Valkyria Chronicles - Theater 1 - A Day at the Beach [DVD][2cd8a8f0].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=80744)

Archangel
Tue, 08-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I heard that sucks, is it true?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM
The beach episode? Nothing happens, but it's not painful.

Especially the last few seconds.

Archangel
Tue, 08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Is there fanservice?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Is there fanservice?
Yes. You see girls in swimsuits.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
The 'beach episode' actually happened in the game. Lol.

Archangel
Tue, 08-18-2009, 11:49 PM
In chibi form?

Were Selvaria's boobs always that gigantic?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Gleam - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=81040)

RyougaZell
Thu, 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Episode 20. muahahahaha.

Nice episode...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Episode 20. muahahahaha.

Nice episode...

Really? I was tuned out for the entire thing.

They've finally used the "radiator trick" game-players talked about before, so that's a good point at least. Maximilian is turning out to be another Prince who wants to keep his place. It doesn't help that his intro and VA shouts "Lelouch", yet the plot just doesn't deliver.

Ramal and Alicia's death were nothing compared to Isara's. Ramal because I didn't care much about him (besides the fact he's nice to Isara), and Alicia because she can't possibly be dead. Those facts aside, I didn't think it was well done to cause any emotions anyway.

That was pretty lackluster.

Nadouku
Fri, 08-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh, hell no. Faldio, I hope you die a gruesome death!

Aside from that, the whole premise of the episode seems uncanny since the enemy just brought out an ultra-weapon that wiped the whole squad out. I really think Maximillian should have resorted to that after Gregor's defeat.

RyougaZell
Sat, 08-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Buff:

I only meant it on the matter of how Faldio definitely changed the view people had here about him. Lol.

Since this already happened... I guess I can spell the differences with the game.

All the squad members of Faldio, sans Ramal, are in fact Squad 7 members in the game. And Faldio shot Alicia with a Sniper Rifle in the middle of battle, in front of Welkin.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
gleam - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=82199)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Dragon Ball Chronicles? Oh wait, they have weapons, so Bleach Chronicles it is.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I liked the way they portrayed the shock of Squad 7 upon seeing Alicia do her Valkyria powerup. The game totally lacked that. Yet the game's scene was more powerful due to the music and presentation.

Check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPHd6n5qwoQ

shinta: if you had played the game you wouldn't say such heresy.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I am not talking about the game. I am talking about the anime. Any comments I make about the anime should not affect my, or anyone's opinion of the game, especially because I have not played it yet.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
The scene you blatantly compared to dragon ball or bleach was faithfully animated from the game, it wasn't an anime-only scene (like most of Faldio's scenes), thus... your critic hits the game directly.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2009, 11:32 PM
That depends on how the entire thing was introduced in the game. If it was this random, then I would probably dislike that development in the game as well. Still, I cannot criticize the game since I have not played it.

Was the rest of the anime the same as the game? Are all of the characters the same or acted the same as in the game? You should take all these factors into account when making a comparison, not just one faithfully animated scene.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-25-2009, 11:44 PM
The game gave small hints, like the blue stone, but no blatant references like the anime did (Faldio saying she was a Valkyria several episodes ago). In fact, Alicia lost control of her power for the first time in the same manner. Being shot. Did you watch the youtube clip?

Ramal did not exist in the game. Faldio's role wasn't so big. Selvaria and Jagger didn't knew Alicia. Most of Squad 1 was part of Squad 7.

The anime and the game are very different.

My comment was directed towards the scene being criticized. Its one of the few loyal scenes.