PDA

View Full Version : Is this forum dying?

lilphatboi88
Tue, 11-25-2008, 04:41 AM
I mean, I've started to post a lot more now that Naruto is getting interesting, but all I see are the same 5 or so people responding and such.

TheBladeChild
Tue, 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM
You seem to be limiting yourself to the naruto forums. While things have been slowing down here, its far from dying, I still see new people joining and though they might not always post right away, its still a sign that these forums are alive and kicking.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Just you wait. Sooner or later, some newbie with a lot of opinion will turn this place inside-out. I'm waiting for that day :D

I general, yeah, it's been a lil slow lately. I'm partially responsible for that too, since I'm putting almost half the shows I watch on hold as I save quota for 5-6 HD movies. I'll catch up on Xmas, as I get free traffic that day. I should have a lot to say then ;)

Kraco
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:22 AM
I suppose things might be slower than they were in the beginning when Naruto and Bleach still had their original flare and AonE was a Naruto subber. But considering that's already ancient history, the current state might be closer to the realistic state of affairs. All things considered, this is but a forum for a fansubber's distro site. Not even the site of the fansubber itself, just a distro. If you think about it, we are remarkably active. Quite a few fansubbers themselves have far more silent forums.

For me things look a bit sadder than they used to because so many of the people who were around when I joined have disappeared. But that's what always happens to web sites and forums so it can't be helped. People move on to different things.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm still here Kraco :3

rockmanj
Tue, 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM
I'll never leave you Kraco~ don't be sad lol

Psyke
Tue, 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been real busy. :(

Not that I'm that much an avid poster anyway. :p

DB_Hunter
Tue, 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I think maybe the Naruto fillers are responsible for a lot of this, not just people moving on.

Lucifus
Tue, 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I like cutting my opinions on everything down to a line of I like it or not and leaving it at that. Other times I dont bother even posting. And with the Fanart section as desolate as it is, it seems I may just evole into a lurker. =(

Munsu
Tue, 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Hmm, seems like GW has been "dying" for 3 or 4 years now.

KitKat
Tue, 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, this is not a new trend. There's no real incentive for people to sign up here, and if someone is looking for an anime forum, they'll probably gravitate towards one of the more active ones.

What I think is really interesting is that the Flame Pit, which in theory would have been the fastest way to tear apart community by encouraging divisions among members actually seems to have had the opposite effect and made people there feel more connected, strengthening the community. That would make a really interesting sociolinguistic study.

Those of us who do stay here stay because we like the community, and we're familiar with the people here. Whenever I'm considering picking up a new anime, I always check out what gotwoot members are saying about it, because I trust the opinion of gotwooters. Well, certain gotwooters at least. And as we saw during the days when we were flooded with Naruto watchers, quantity != quality. I'd rather be at a forum with a few people that I enjoy chatting with than a forum with masses of people who annoy me.

Nadouku
Tue, 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I've only been around the forums for so long, but I think I got the jist of it. Even though I just noticed this, Flame Pit doesn't even count towards your post! Oh well...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
What I think is really interesting is that the Flame Pit, which in theory would have been the fastest way to tear apart community by encouraging divisions among members actually seems to have had the opposite effect and made people there feel more connected, strengthening the community. That would make a really interesting sociolinguistic study.

Glad to be your lab rat, KitKat :p

I totally agree with that, and if you look at it, the pit's activity too has fallen lately.

've only been around the forums for so long, but I think I got the jist of it. Even though I just noticed this, Flame Pit doesn't even count towards your post! Oh well...

It's also only visible to registered GW members. It's out little secret forum :)

Alhuin
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I think a lot of people are just lurking. I've been a member on these forums for years, but I rarely ever posted. Before these past few months, I just haven't felt the need to. I didn't know anyone, and I didn't feel comfortable. I stayed in the Fanart section (when I did post) and, in connection to the Naruto forums now, it only had the same 5 or 6 posters. And this was years ago. But I've lurked here ever since signing up. More than half of the anime that I've seen now has been because I learned about it from these forums, and based on recommendations. My skills in Photoshop have improved by learning from what others have been experimenting with. So, while forum post count may be dying, I don't really feel the forum itself is dying.

Sandldan
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I think a lot of people are just lurking. I've been a member on these forums for years, but I rarely ever posted. Before these past few months, I just haven't felt the need to. I didn't know anyone, and I didn't feel comfortable. I stayed in the Fanart section (when I did post) and, in connection to the Naruto forums now, it only had the same 5 or 6 posters. And this was years ago. But I've lurked here ever since signing up. More than half of the anime that I've seen now has been because I learned about it from these forums, and based on recommendations. My skills in Photoshop have improved by learning from what others have been experimenting with. So, while forum post count may be dying, I don't really feel the forum itself is dying.
Pretty spot on for my situation too, except for im more in the general discussion/games instead of fanart threads.
It's pretty rare for me these days to follow on-going animes and even when i do i very rarely post anything about them. I just somehow feel that if you discuss it/analyze every episode in too much detail it removes some of the excitement for me, watching 20 episodes of a series in one go, being completely swept away is more my style. But that's just me :p

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
This is the only forum I post. And its not slow or dying. Its just not a spam heaven like animesuki, narutofan, gamefaqs or gaiaonline

Death BOO Z
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
This is the only forum I post. And its not slow or dying. Its just not a spam heaven like animesuki, narutofan, gamefaqs or gaiaonline

don't you mean animesucki, narutard, gamefags, and gayonline?

on more serious matters, I think it's pretty amazing we even get new users, seeing as gotwoot hardly distributes anything nowadays..

DB_Hunter
Tue, 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
To be honest, I think its ok if some people are not posting but still around as long as there is some activity on the forums. What I think is sad is when some people just suddenly stop posting, never to be heard from again.

Board of Command
Tue, 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
I've been pretty busy with school for the past little while, so I haven't been very active.

LaZie
Tue, 11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm hardly ever active. One post a week at most. :p

But its better to have a good small community than have a giant tardfest forum.

SorC
Tue, 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm hardly ever active. One post a week at most. :p

One post a week is super active for me. I've been lurking here for a long time because it's a great place when I have nothing pressing to do at work. I can read up on recommendations for new anime/TV shows among some other interesting threads. I just never really feel the need to express my own opinion =/

masamuneehs
Wed, 11-26-2008, 08:25 AM
i gave up a long time ago about posting on real world events i found noteworthy...

i stick to anime discussions now that i've hung up the mod hat.

i don't think this place is dying. it was never huge and its peak activity was surely tied to the fansubbers' doing Naruto, but i think we've hit a relatively stable harmony these days.

although, i suppose comp could tell you best with some nifty stats...

6Zabuza9
Thu, 11-27-2008, 02:28 AM
gotwoot forums is my homepage and i lurk all the time :)

imanewb
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't think its dying.
I visit gotwoot everyday but i never feel like i have to post anything.

Lucifus
Fri, 11-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Haha, wow. In all my time here this is the first i've seen you. xD

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 11-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I visit this website almost every day and post whenever I have a compulsion to, in whatever section. I'm mostly active in the naruto sections and the general discussion section. I enjoy arguments be they about substantial things or nothing at all, so I'm most likely to post when an argument is happening, or when a topic of discussion is argument prone.This is the second forum I bothered reading and posting in.

The first was way back when during the days of audio...something (I forget the name). I was mostly on the tool page, streaming tool songs and responding to one of several idiots that insisted on posting "linkin park 666" or "linkin park rules" on the page. This forum is leaps and bounds ahead of that one in terms of the quality of posts and posters. I've since tried reading and posting seriously in other forums, but they're mostly all horrible when compared to gotwoot. I'd say this place is doing fine. I do second masa's thinly veiled request for some solid statistics though, out of sheer curiosity.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been on this forum for nearly 6 years, and this is by far one of the most active forums around (without being a spamfest like the aforementioned, animes_ki, et al.). Threads like this always pop up in forums, but this particular case seems to stem from the lagging interest in series Bleach and Naruto, which quite frankly, have grown stale to most users.

The mere fact that some of our most active posters are a mix of those who have been around since gotwoot's inception and users who have been here less than 2 years is a testament to the forum's vitality. We've lost some members sure, others have become less active, but nothing has ultimately changed.

The two Code Geass threads and Claymore thread (two fairly recent series) have the highest post counts of any other threads in General anime. Over 1000 replies. If that isn't "active" I think someone is using the definition incorrectly.

In addition, take this into consideration. Even as I stated that interest in Naruto and Bleach is fading, take into account that while episodes before used to get anywhere from 300 to 500 replies, the newest episodes are still getting around 100 replies. There are threads on series with 52 episodes total that have gotten fewer total replies. "Dying," is far from an appropriate term.

I have been a very prominent member of a dying forum. Dying forums are where there are less than 5 active posters, where threads can be considered extremely active when they reach 50 replies. Then there are 3 active posters, and then just 2, until the members finally give up and never come back, leaving the activity in the forum to the spammers alone.

While I certainly wish there was more discussion, that is more of an issue of the kinds of series I've been watching lately ("Oh, [this] and [that] were funny.") and certain series that do promote that kind of discussion not gaining the immediate following. I love to throw out the example of the School Days thread, that doubled in length after the series ended. It seems at present, there really are not that many series being produced that promote the same level of discussion as those in the past.

The few that are this season, do have a pretty good following though. Chaos;Head is doing quite well for this early in the season, as is Clannad.

In short, if you think this forum is dying, you have either only been to spam/spoiler heavens, or you have not experienced a truly dying forum.

animus
Sat, 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
This is the only forum I ever lurk any more. Used to lurk in AnimeSuki (headache), GameFAQs (even bigger headache), and StopTazmo (lost interest). I was never a heavy poster, but a lurker when I first made this account.

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-30-2008, 06:14 PM
I remember when I was stuck to this forum like glue, man I'd sit all day long and spam Gundam stuff, fucking Gundam Seed! Now those were days of obsession. But yeah, stuff happens. I'll always be here in spirit though! And because of that it will never die! Because Terracosmicness transcend time and space!

SPACE I TELL YOU!

Kraco
Sun, 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
There isn't really that much space to transcend because the site and all gotwooters are on this same planet (or should be - I've always suspected a few of the odder members might be three-eyed aliens from Andromeda).

skindred
Sun, 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Ditto imanewb.

But yeah I have to disagree that this forum is dying. I joined because I was attracted to berserk and stopped when I decided to wait for it till it reaches a volume or so. I usually post only if I needed something which I can't find anywhere or if there are interesting topics like this one. Don't just read in a single thread. Try visiting others like the general discussion, introduce yourself or the anime cosplays, really it took me almost half a day reading and viewing that thread. Another thing that attracts me is the quality posts of most members that keeps on posting, I enjoy reading them than engaging with them. Don't be bothered by this rep thing in gotwoot though if I were you, it's not like its gonna kill you when you get neg repped. cheers :D :cool: :rolleyes: :p :) :o

Dark Dragon
Mon, 12-01-2008, 03:29 AM
This forum is far from dying, I've noticed on more than one occasion that we have a significant difference in the numbers of people viewing a thread and number of registered user in said thread.

That lead me to believe that we still have a large amount of lurker who do not feel the need to post.

For example, I've been here for a little over 5 years now and has browsed this forum on a regular basis but my post counts is still pretty low. It wasn't until recently that i decided to post more often.

TheBladeChild
Mon, 12-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Just you wait. Sooner or later, some newbie with a lot of opinion will turn this place inside-out. I'm waiting for that day :D

Hes called Archie.

Turkish-S
Mon, 12-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Yep this shit is dead.

Xelbair
Mon, 12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I've seen forums that can prosper with only 5 members who know themselves IRL, so no, this forum is really far from dying. Also we have Terra.

kooshi
Wed, 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
To be honest, I think its ok if some people are not posting but still around as long as there is some activity on the forums. What I think is sad is when some people just suddenly stop posting, never to be heard from again.

I claim guilty to that charge!
WOW, how long has it been since I last logged on...??
Great to see many people I recognize (hopefully they recognize me too...).

My excuse would be...
Simply put, I just dropped anime out of my life about 8 months ago.
I used to watch a lot, but as time went by, the number of series I would watch per season would drop and drop and drop until it finally hit zero.
I just lost the interest and anime just doesn't seem to appeal to me anymore (wait a year or two to see if I can still say that).
Heck, I still have no interest in getting back to anime, but I do intend to stick around here.
It's good to be back! :)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
On the other hand, the number of series I pick up every season grows bigger and bigger. What's holding me back and making me drop shows is my monthly download quota.

AngryGumball
Thu, 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
heh I think I got you lurkers who posted in this thread as lurkers beaten!

Nadouku
Thu, 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
This post was so stupid that I decided to delete it.

Uchiha Barles
Thu, 12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
While it pains me to contribute to the offtopic diversion, I have to know...wtf is that?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Interesting. I can imagine people going there to SMS their contacts, or send an email, rather than ringing,

I've got an account in our local Internet Cafe, and there are some internet booths (mini LCD station, open air, not like the telephone booth above), but I haven't gone to check out their download policy yet.

Meh, free Xmas traffic is so long away....

While it pains me to contribute to the offtopic diversion, I have to know...wtf is that?

A pay-per-use telephone booth + internet.

Nadouku
Thu, 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM
You'd be surprised at how many people use those machines in Internet Cafes around my area. They have pretty good internet speed, so downloading is a breeze. It's up to the owners to decide how long they want people to use it and what not.

Junior
Thu, 12-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't think Gotwoot is dying, members just take a break every now and again. or get real busy.

Personally, I enjoy coming to Gotwoot because I can identify members in topics, if you know what I mean. =) I dislike huge forums where all people do is spam. Like that Gaiaonline.

I've only viewed the index once and I quietly clicked Back. Too many...people...

Besides, aren't we getting new members slowly?

EinReB23
Thu, 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
dont think so, this forum is actually my main source of anime information and i like reading the members opinions...after finishing a certain show I search them here to read what they think; and it also works the opposite..

itadakimasu
Fri, 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I've been too busy to post...

Honoko
Thu, 12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
/lurks in

looks around

/lurks out

saman
Thu, 12-18-2008, 09:04 PM
whoa. hi honoko!

Psyke