PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater: What subbers to watch now?

Harima Kenji
Mon, 11-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Since Rumbel dropped SE because of a C&D letter, I'm wondering, what version should I watch now?
I have no idea if there is a difference in the late night version and the 'normal' version.
Can anyone give me (and fellow Rumbel only watchers) some advice?

Yukimura
Mon, 11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I've found Aero to be fine for weekly watching. The field seems to be a bit flooded with Soul Eater encodes at the moment though so I think it'll take a few weeks before it's clear what groups plan to continue the series long term and only then would evaluation really help.

Alhuin
Tue, 11-25-2008, 03:54 AM
I read about this the other day as well. I figure, some people from Rumbel will form a new group and continue subbing Soul Eater, and release via a different server. It's fairly common... but all we can do is wait. If not, well... guess Aero will do fine for me. I've seen a few of their subs, and they're not bad. Wish more groups had picked up the late night version though (even though I'm not entirely sure what the major differences are, other than the previews).

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-25-2008, 04:05 AM
I've cycled through quite a lot: started with Anime Enlightnment, moved onto Rumbel, jumped onto Tadashi, and lately settled with Aero.

I prefer Rumbel and Aero, both of which are fine. AEN has some errors with their English sometimes. Tadashi isn't bad, I just like the terms/translation style of Rumbel and Aero better.

Having watched Rumbel the most, I can say I prefer the normal, shorter one. Late-night versions air half a week later, contain nothing extra that's significant, but most importantly, have some random shit during the middle ad break and ending preview that's annoying as hell.

The regular version follows the regular formula: OP->Episode->ED->Preview - the way I like it. As of now, Aero's my preferred group.

ian_sanzo
Fri, 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Judging from your opinions, I guess Aero is really the only subber right now. Thanks for the info guys!

Death BOO Z
Fri, 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM
is there any other 'late hour night show' subbers other than rumbel?
if there aren't, I guess I can just jump to aero's subs right away.

ian_sanzo
Sat, 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM
I think right now we don't have any other choice but to stick up with aero. i'm also watching the late night version but Aero is doing a pretty good job IMO from watching 3 episodes from them.

Harima Kenji
Sat, 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll give Aero a shot, what version should I take for the best quality? the mkv or mp4?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
They use the same raws for both, and I'd expect them to be by the same encoder. MKV files look fine, and are generally a little smaller than their HD MP4 counterparts. Whichever takes your fancy really. If you have a PS3 or something that you'd want to play Soul Eater one, then MP4 HD will save you lots of trouble.

ian_sanzo
Sun, 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
question, i found out that hyatsuyuki a good sub? they are subbing soul eater too.

Marik
Sun, 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
question, i found out that hyatsuyuki a good sub? they are subbing soul eater too.

I really haven't heard anything positive about them. People say they don't sub some parts and they leave the preview sub-less. They also seem to use Engrish. They admit that on their site.

"*rocker2344's note: Before complaining, yes we know it is engrish, sorry we will have a after trans checker for this soon."

ian_sanzo
Mon, 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Ok thanks a lot. i guess I'll wait for aero then.

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
In Soul Eater 34 hyatsuyuki put in "except" where they should've had "accept." There was another glaring mistake in the episode somewhere.

Kraco
Tue, 12-02-2008, 03:03 AM
I have now eps 34 and 35 from Anonymous. Somebody muxed the subs properly with a decent raw - who knows, maybe he even reencoded a raw because it had a proper file size as well. After watching both of those subs, I think I trust Anonymous more than Hatsuyuki or Souleaterfan (not posted on Tokyotosho) subs. Unless Aero reappears, I'm sticking to Anonymous, assuming they will continue to come out.

DDBen
Tue, 12-02-2008, 09:54 PM
by All Hail Excalibur

Soul eater 29 Late night AVI
http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=17007
Soul eater 29 Late night MKV
http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=17006

Soul eater 30 Late night AVI
http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=17009
Soul eater 30 Late night MKV
http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=17008

Lets see same size as Rumbel and they are continuing late night releases where they left off I doubt that is by chance downloading right now to see if they are what I think they are but for now I'd certainly assume that is the case.

Edit: Well that was a exceptionally fast download. I think its safe to say if you were downloading Rumbel then these are definitely the subs you want to archive.

Hiwatari
Thu, 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
aerosubs is stopping soul eater

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Damn. If I'm not satisfied with some other group, I'll mux their scripts with raws.

edit: Has anyone personally tried Soul Eater Fan?

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2008, 02:41 AM
I didn't really like Soul Eater Fan. I think I'll watch Anonymous, if the somebody muxing their subs with reencoded raws continues to do his shady work, and I suppose archive All Hail Excalibur.

Belial
Thu, 12-04-2008, 07:19 AM
IF someone knows where i can get Rumble 1-28 i would be grateful :)

you can PM me if it's against the rules...

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Try this batch over at Mininova (http://www.mininova.org/tor/1884264).

And while you are over there, just search soul eater for the last three episodes not in the batch.

animus
Thu, 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Aero is dropping? Ugh, that sucks. Guess I'll switch to Anonymous. By the way Kraco, I can't seem to find anon's sub for 35 on tokyotosho, is it up already? All I see are SEF, and Demonsubs in XViD.

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
It's there alright, only below the 34 because whoever muxed them released 35 first. The link is also in the episode 35 thread first post.

animus
Thu, 12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Whoops my bad, didn't realize there was a thread for it already.

Belial
Thu, 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Thx for the batch, can't believe i missed it there ^^

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Has anyone tried out SEF and liked it?

Kraco
Sat, 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I watched their 37 because nobody else has released it. I guess it was decent enough. I'm still going to download something else for my archive, if anything appears, though.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
For the sake of variety
Soul Eater 34 - [SEF] (MegaUpload)
Soul Eater 34 - [SEF] (Torrent)

I don't know why this groups torrents never seem to make it to TokyoTosho but they do exist and seem to be better than Hatsuyuki at least in terms of QC and Editing. They also bad mouthed the Anonymous translation so go figure. Also they seem to be behind on their mp4 encodes, choosing releasing 720p XviD-MP3 encodes first.

Well, I can say I definitely prefer Anonymous to SEF. Sadly, SEF is the next best option after Anonymous (Excluding All Hail Excalibur).

Edit: Actually, that's not quite true. Skimming Hatsuyuki Ep 37 kind of puts it alongside SEF. I didn't look too deeply, but my impressions are that Hatsuyuki words things a bit weird sometimes, making the phrase seem odd, and out of place when you consider who's talking (eg: Mosquito's "We are in agreement" -> kind of weird that he'll talk to Arachne collectively as "we" when he holds utmost respect for her). However, their grammar seems okay...I didn't pick up anything punctuation errors neither.

SEF words things more familiarly....but sometimes their sentences just sound......wrong. As in confusing and not making sense.

So take your pick. Again, these are just initial impressions based on Episode 37 alone.

narutosharingan
Mon, 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I was going to wait for AHExcalibur to catch up, but it seems as though they are taking forever. I'm through 30 episodes, but I'm not sure what to do for 31-36 or so. Any suggestions?

edit: I can get 35-38 with SEF. I don't know what to do with 31-34

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure which torrents are still valid, but you can check out this page

http://www.baka-updates.com/search/search?searchitem=soul+eater&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit&searchradio=releases

ian_sanzo
Sun, 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
31-34 wyould be good with aero-subs. I'm not sure if the torrents are still in their tracker though.

Whats subs to watch now? i didn't like hyatsuyuki any recommendations please?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-12-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm watching SEF. It hasn't driven me insane yet, so it's definitely watchable. I didn't like hyatsuyuki neither.

Hiwatari
Thu, 01-22-2009, 04:42 AM
in my opinion, SEF's subs are worse that hatsuyuki

David75
Thu, 01-22-2009, 05:19 AM
in my opinion, SEF's subs are worse that hatsuyuki

Well you can at least understand what they write.
My only atempt at hatsuyuki was Chaos Head ep 10 if i remember correctly. And almost no sentence was fine, it was all messed up, nothing made sense at all with words all over the place and massive mistakes in words/phonetics and so on.

I had to download the ep again from another group to understand the ep.

Maybe they got better, but since then I never wanted to try again.

narutosharingan
Fri, 01-23-2009, 01:59 AM
According to SEF's website they were told to stop subbing

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-23-2009, 02:30 AM
According to SEF's website they were told to stop subbing

Question is, will they comply. They've almost finished it. If worst comes to worst, they can always go underground and finish it there like a lot of groups who "drop" releases.

What would SoulEaterFansubs do with no Soul Eater to sub?

Marik
Fri, 01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Soul Eater Fan Subs, retires

After some talk with FUNimation, we really have to quit subbing, but, I quote:

FUNimation has acquired the rights for Soul Eater. This includes the English dub and the English subtitled versions as well as the RAW version available for viewing in our multiple licensed territories/countries. We also have an authorization agreement with Media Factory for worldwide enforcement of their copyright regarding unauthorized use of Soul Eater. What this means is that if Media Factory didn’t give you permission to fansub or distribute, then I regret to inform you that you are violating their copyright.

I know that everyone going to SoulEaterFan.com are huge fans of the show. We will have English subtitled and English dub episode to view online, but not at this time. Please be patient.

And patient we have to be, FUNimation will be releasing streaming episodes, subtitled and dubbed, in a couple of months. When I get the date, I will post, but until then I don't know (much) more than you guys.

~~~Subrand0m

Ok my little Rant time. Dont tell you you assume you could get away with out me ranting on this subject.

First off, FUCK YOU FUNImation, Your dubs and translations suck. They are no were near the quality we put out weekly. Why not let us do the last 10 ep? Truly if it was not for us and the other Groups that did this, you would never sale a single dvd of this show, The preview was so bad that it made me never want to watch the show. All you did was take the first 3 ep and smash the story lines together to make that, Do you even truly know what the show is about? Truly? Do you?, I am guessing not,

The only show you ever did right was FMA and that was watch able. I can already tell from the way you are laying this show out that you are aiming for little kids while the show is clearly intended for young adults. You need to lean what is best. Fan subbing does not hurt your show at all. Also .ass File is legal for us to have/post.

The translations for the anime are are, Translators, Editors interpretation of the Words being said within the show. Tadashi had ever right to release the translations. You scared the shit out of the poor guy. But I am not backing down. I know my rights and I know were you are crossing the line. I am speaking for myself not anyone else. If you have a issue with this Contact me about it. I will gladly show you were you are wrong.

Stopping us from encoding the show is well within your rights. Stopping us from releasing the Translation file to world, well now you own no rights over that at all, since again that came from the mind of Translators, as long as we do not profit from it and give credit we are not at fault in any play. You May win this battle But trust me the war, you have lost the war.

~Subrand0m

narutosharingan
Fri, 01-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Question is, will they comply. They've almost finished it. If worst comes to worst, they can always go underground and finish it there like a lot of groups who "drop" releases.

What would SoulEaterFansubs do with no Soul Eater to sub?

That's what I was hoping for.

And speaking of, whatever happened to AllHailExcalibur aka Rumbel? Did they give up?

Kraco
Fri, 01-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Actually I don't think even the translations (subtitle files) are legal. The translator might own the right to his/her translation but not the content (which is creative content), and thus it's a very thin bread indeed, and basically only prevents a proper license holder from using that translation (so, FUNimation can't take a fansubber's script and release that without a deal with the fantranslator). It all should equal to translating a commercial book from one language to another: It's by no means legal to publish such a book unless you get a license from the original author/publisher (depending on the publishing deal between the author and the publisher), despite the fact technically the content looks all different because the language is different. But the same information content, pretty much, is still there.

Anyway, I watched the Tsubaki-Hatsuyuki #41 sub yesterday and it wasn't any worse than SEF in my opinion. Definitely better than the whatever Hatsuyuki sub I watched in the past that gave me a bad impression of Hatsuyuki. They have developed. Let's hope they won't drop the show.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 04:41 AM
In one of the many lengthly discussions on Anime News Network about the legality of a Singapore licensing firm stealing English fansub translations, the translations made by the subbers are legal. There is no IP law that says you cannot release a translation of the material. That is the translators' own Intellectual Property since they creatively developed it the same as the original author developed the plot in the original language. The subtitle file is no different from a printout script to read along as the episode plays.

You just can't put it onto the original work and give it away or sell it off. This is why the encodes are illegal.

It is the same reason why the original publishers of all the novels that Baka-Tsuki translates never go after any of them, even when a North American company licenses the material and translates/publishes their own version of the light novels. If Baka-Tsuki turned around and printed them all out into a book, with the pictures in the correct place and everything, that would be illegal without a licensing fee.

Kraco
Fri, 01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
You aren't making any sense. By your definition I could take an English language best selling novel, translate it into Finnish, buy a new cover picture from some aspiring artist in need of money, pay some press to make it into a book and sell it for nice profit without the original American/British/Australian/Canadian/New Zelander author getting a single cent out of it.

I don't think that's quite correct. The translation might be mine, but all the intellectual property, the setting, the story, the characters, the dialogue, etc belong to the original author. It doesn't matter what the language it is presented in. Considering TV series, the contents of the lines of the characters are just as important for the whole product as the video or audio. In fact that's full half of the initial source material (manga having only pictures and text).

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I had thought I had separated the paragraphs in an attempt to emphasize, but it seems that content went overlooked.

I specifically stated that while the translation is 100% legal, and is the property of the translator in regards to the specific wording and phrasing, "You just can't put it onto the original work and give it away or sell it off."

That means no publishing, and no sales.

The illegality of fansubs come from slapping it onto the original work in one convenient package. There's nothing legally wrong with a text translation to go on the side the original work.

As for TV shows specifically, merely slicing out the commericals is what is denying the orignal broadcaster ad-revenue. The creator has already been paid. Keeping fansubs denies them revenue because the viewer should be purchasing overpriced (for anime in Asia, US box sets are quite cheap in comparison) DVDs or Blu-Ray discs.

poopdeville
Sat, 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
I had thought I had separated the paragraphs in an attempt to emphasize, but it seems that content went overlooked.

I specifically stated that while the translation is 100% legal, and is the property of the translator in regards to the specific wording and phrasing, "You just can't put it onto the original work and give it away or sell it off."

Except that is wrong, in the United States and Berne Convention countries.

A translation is a substantial "derived work", and you have to license the original work under terms that will let you create a substantial derived work for the translation to be legal to distribute. Merely watching/downloading the show does not grant such a license (unless it does so explicitly, like those "Creative Commons" blogs and YouTube videos, or GPL software).

The only reason these cases aren't seeing court is because there's no point in marginalizing the community of free advertising providers and fans. FUNimation said as much in their letter. "We know everyone who visits <blah website> is a big fan".

This is kind of a good strategy from FUNimation's perspective -- let the fansubbers get people hooked, gather market research on popular shows, and make the fans buy the last episodes from them.

Archangel
Tue, 02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Is it me or is the latest AllHailExcalibur (episode 32) release incredibly bad?

I actually preferred the subs by the fast subber i had archived ( SEF i think )

Kraco
Wed, 02-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Really? I just downloaded AllHailExcalibur and didn't even check it out before deleting whatever older sub I had. The first AllHailExcalibur labeled release (#29) was all that I verified for quality but afterwards I just assumed they would be ok. Damn.

Archangel
Wed, 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I have no problem with episode 31 but 32 was goddamn terrible, if solely for the fact that they decided to translate his name to hero instead of hiro ( which lead to " i'm the hero, hero " many times )

And there were parts that made alot more sense in the speed subbers version

Kraco
Thu, 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
32? Hah! It was the Excalibur episode. When I one day rewatch this series, I'll be sure to skip that one. If their 33 is again good, then it's all good.

Sariachan
Thu, 04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Are they still subbing the show? I can't find episodes 36+ (LateShow) anywhere... :(

Also a different, but good sub would work, any suggestion?

Archangel
Thu, 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Are they still subbing the show? I can't find episodes 36+ (LateShow) anywhere... :(

Also a different, but good sub would work, any suggestion?
No we never heard from them again

I recommend you get your subs from Tsubaki