PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bluetooth headsets

Raven
Mon, 11-24-2008, 05:48 AM
A lot of portable audio devices these days will have Bluetooth for wireless audio. These players will quite often include FM radio. Additionally, the supplied headphones, usually the bud kind, will act as the aerial for the radio.

My question is this - do you know of any stereo Bluetooth headsets that will act as said aerial? My new device has Bluetooth and I'd like to listen to the radio wirelessly, but I'm worried that I won't get the reception if the headset I buy doesn't include some kind of aerial functionality.

David75
Mon, 11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Well if the wire is also used as an antenna and the quality drops when the wire is not plugged, you're screwed.
There's no way you can transfer the antenna function over bluetooth.
The only way would be to have a tuner in your bluetooth headset and your player accepts this tuner as a kind of line-in.

To circumvent the problem, you have to check the following:
Does the bluetooth headset still work when the wire headset is plugged?

If yes there's a solution: buying or finding ultracheap wire buds. cutting the buds off, insulate each wire, use that wire as the antenna.
Most of the time, only a few centimeters are useful, so you can cut it to the need and glue/tape it behind the player, or wherever possible.

If not, you'll have to check if the player receives well without said wired headphones.
If it doesn't, you still have options, but difficulty increases... and I can't help you without knowing the device, and even then, if I can't touch it, I may not be of any more help.

Raven
Mon, 11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, that does make sense. I could have some kind of crude aerial plugged into the player itself that can stream via Bluetooth to the headset. I'll have a play around with it and do some testing. Cheers.