PDA

View Full Version : Game: Fallout 3

rockmanj
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I know I'm not the only one playing this game on here. What kind of char. did you make, and are you good? Evil? What kind of weapons do you use? (If you even use any at all??)

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Made a good character I typically always go good on my first playthrough since in games like this it usually feels most canon. Focusing on small guns. Not very far in the game just got to GNR and met Three Dog and some BoS.I do love my hunting rifle. Headshots are satisfyingly crunchy.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-08-2008, 02:03 AM
I got a good char too, and yea, I'm all about the small guns (small guns+ high sneak rating=Win) I'm like in the middle of the GNR mission...but I kinda sidetracked to do some other stuff, like get Dogmeat, and I also picked up a follower (interesting story about that..) And I did a few side quests to get my karma up.

Board of Command
Sat, 11-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Mine is good, but I keep picking locks and doors and stealing stuff, so the balance is slowly but surely turning evil. I'm still pretty good though. I'm at the part where I'm trying to get to Vault 112, but I'm just exploring the map right now instead of actually trying to complete missions.

I focus on small guns, repair and medicine. I regret putting so many points into energy weapons at the beginning of the game. The laser guns suck. My favorite gun in the game so far is the combat shotgun. Headshots with the combat shotgun at close range are simply ridiculous, especially if you use VATS. For medium range, I generally use the Chinese assault rifle because it's also quite lethal when used in VATS mode. For long range, I stick with the trusty hunting rifle.

However, my favorite weapon (in general, not just guns) right now is the Shishkebab. It's a schematic melee weapon that looks like a flaming sword. In fact, it is a flaming sword and it swings pretty fast for pretty good damage. If you can get up close and personal with the Shishkebab, it's quite powerful. Sometimes if I see Raiders or Talon Mercs shooting at me with not-so-powerful guns, I just run up to them with the Shishkebab and chop them up. It cuts through armor like butter.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Hmm, I need to find the parts for that...Ive been running around with Charon capping super mutants for hours on end. I swear, he is like a magician with that Combat shotgun; like his pellet spread like like so tight, its basically a giant ball of death. I don't know about the other friends you can get, but he is pretty badass. OH, and the Chinese assault rifle, eh? (didn't see that one coming, did you? lol j/k -_-;;) But yea, that's my mid-range go-to, and actually I don't mind using the hunting rifle close-mid if i have enough AP for V.A.T.S.

And if you can get the rare sneak kill with the laser weapons, the ash effect is cool, but I usually leave it in the locker at my house.

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I really hate fighting the Raiders/Mercs with Missile Launchers. They have a ton more health, and have seemingly unlimited missiles to fire at you.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM
How many weapons can you carry in your inventory in Fallout3? In FarCry2, you get to carry 3 weapons at any time, plus grenades.

I'm almost done with FC2, then will try Fallout3.

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 10:21 AM
As many as you can as long as your capacity allows it. Your holding capacity is numerical and is based on your strength. Items have a number weight like, a suit of armor is 15, and say your total holding capacity is 200. You go over 200 and you move reaaaaally slow.

Board of Command
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
In general, you just need to carry 3 or 4 guns for all the different combat situations you might entire. One of each: melee (Shishkebab), close range (Combat Shotgun), mid range (Chinese Rifle) and long range (Hunting Rifle). You can put all your excess weaponry in storage spaces in your house, so really, you can stash all the weapons you want. The rest of the carrying capacity is generally reserved for all the loot you pick up along the way.

However, I carry an excessive amount of guns. In addition to those weapons, I also carry a Laser Pistol, 10mm SMG and Minigun. I occasionally use them for fun, but they're not nearly as effective as my main arsenal. The Minigun looks so menacing but it's weak as shit. The damage rating is more than double that of the Shishkebab, but it's quite a bit weaker in terms of damage/hit.

Archangel
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
This game sounds interesting, but what is it exactly? A rpg or a fps?

Animeniax
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
In general, you just need to carry 3 or 4 guns for all the different combat situations you might entire. One of each: melee (Shishkebab), close range (Combat Shotgun), mid range (Chinese Rifle) and long range (Hunting Rifle). You can put all your excess weaponry in storage spaces in your house, so really, you can stash all the weapons you want. The rest of the carrying capacity is generally reserved for all the loot you pick up along the way.
So in Fallout you have one base of operations that you have to return to?

In FarCry2, you have several safehouses that you save at and store weapons at, but only one spare of each type of weapon: handgun, rifle, and mass damage. So you basically have access to 6 weapons for each mission, plus grenades.

This game sounds interesting, but what is it exactly? A rpg or a fps?According to Buffalobiian, it's an RPG with FPS style play.

Board of Command
Sat, 11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
So in Fallout you have one base of operations that you have to return to?

In FarCry2, you have several safehouses that you save at and store weapons at, but only one spare of each type of weapon: handgun, rifle, and mass damage. So you basically have access to 6 weapons for each mission, plus grenades.
You have your own house in the first town you encounter. There are various upgrades you can buy for your house, and by default it comes with storage lockers where you can stash all your stuff. You don't have to return to your house; it's more like your house is the ideal place to store all your stuff, heal yourself, detox yourself, etc.

This game sounds interesting, but what is it exactly? A rpg or a fps?
It's a first person RPG, but you can play in third person perspective you want. It's a lot better in first person view though. Have you played Morrowind or Oblivion? They were made by Bethesda as well. Fallout 3 is sort of like Oblivion with guns.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll pick up this game in a few days time, right after my exams.

What's the travel system and variation in landscape like? What put me off a bit in Oblivion was that exploring was pointless. Everything looks the same, and you can fast-travel to any explored location anyway.

Funnily enough, this game runs better than Oblivion due to optimisation and the lack of grass. Can't wait to try it out.

(I sort of want to try playing evil. I'm always good in, well, everything because it feels bad stealing from people :p)

Dark Dragon
Sat, 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I'll pick up this game in a few days time, right after my exams.

What's the travel system and variation in landscape like? What put me off a bit in Oblivion was that exploring was pointless. Everything looks the same, and you can fast-travel to any explored location anyway.

Funnily enough, this game runs better than Oblivion due to optimisation and the lack of grass. Can't wait to try it out.

(I sort of want to try playing evil. I'm always good in, well, everything because it feels bad stealing from people :p)

I don't think you will like this game travel system then because it is exactly like Oblivion.

The scenery in this game is pretty much straight out of any post apocalyptic sci-fi movie you can find in the last 20 years. I wouldn't say that the environment varies but you do feel like you are in a desolate wasteland with tons of cities in ruins but it's basically one giant wasteland as oppose to one giant grassland (Oblivion).

The thing i like about this game is that the developer did a really good job at making you feel like your decision matters (don't like the first city that you go to? detonate the inactive nuke they have in the middle of town). I remember reading in one of the interview and one of the developer said that the game has around 118 endings or something close to that so it should be interesting so see which one you can get.

I just got the game yesterday and it has been pretty addicting so far. I came across Dogmeat by chance, man that dog is so badass taking out like 6 raiders by himself. The combat shotgun and hunting rifle are my favorite weapons so far.

I'm currently at level 4 and doing some side-quests (just finished blood ties and in the middle of doing the giant ant quest), do you guys have any tip? I'm having trouble finding ammo and all the merchant never seem to have enough for you to buy.

Archangel
Sat, 11-08-2008, 09:02 PM
there's no way i can make this game work with a RADEON 9250 right? :(

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I highly doubt it. Do you have the 128 or 256 card? I'd guess if you had the 256 mb card, you MIGHT be able to run it on lowest settings. The game looks OK, but it's definitely no technical monster, or anywhere close to it.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
You have your own house in the first town you encounter. .

Actually that's true and not true....depending on your actions, you could have a house there, or you could get a swank condo somewhere else. Its basically one of the differences between being good or bad. And I actually have FC2, but I haven't even touched it yet.

Archangel
Sat, 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I highly doubt it. Do you have the 128 or 256 card?

Any idea how i check that out?

Lucifus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Loving the game. After hours of gameplay, headaches assault ya though, but hey, cant be helped.

I'm a good guy, just got done with the Washington Monument quest.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Any idea how i check that out?

Start -> run-> DXDIAG -> look under the "display" tab. Those are the steps for XP anyway, might have to google for Vista.

Edit: Same method may work for Vista. If not, try clicking on the Start orb and type "dxdiag" in Start Search.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Just explored Fort Bannister with Charon and Dogmeat...a note: DO NOT take Dogmeat anywhere near that place...while its an awesome smorgasboard of Talon Merc killing goodness, its way too dangerous! A good place to get stealth boys, and ammo (that place is filled with laser ammo). But there's kind of a boss there, so depending on how you wanna play it, be careful (I personally used lots of traps; i.e. mines and stuff).

Archangel
Sun, 11-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Im screwed it's 128 :(

Anyone got a spare graphic card i can borrow :p

rockmanj
Sun, 11-09-2008, 07:44 AM

You could always try a console version ^^;

Archangel
Sun, 11-09-2008, 08:08 AM
All i got is a ps2 and an xbox im not sure even works anymore :(

Too bad, i did want to try this game out.

animus
Sun, 11-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Just explored Fort Bannister with Charon and Dogmeat...a note: DO NOT take Dogmeat anywhere near that place...while its an awesome smorgasboard of Talon Merc killing goodness, its way too dangerous! A good place to get stealth boys, and ammo (that place is filled with laser ammo). But there's kind of a boss there, so depending on how you wanna play it, be careful (I personally used lots of traps; i.e. mines and stuff).

Yea I went there. That's the Talon Merc with a missile launcher. He has a ton of health and so hard to kill.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
The 1st time I tried to straight up fight him, and I basically tried to cripple his leg with the assault rifle, which didn't work out at all, and then my party was swarmed but mercs from all angles. So, the next time I went all stealthy, using my L337 HaXi0r Skillz, and turned the gun turrent targeting specificity off (which only hurt his arm for some reason). Then I just laid about 10-15 mines out using a stealth boy, and lured him into them. The only big problem was that damn Mr. Gutsy (mine+air canister=super effective).

Animeniax
Sun, 11-09-2008, 09:31 AM

I have a BFG 7800GTX 256MB PCI-E card I don't use anymore. I doubt your motherboard supports PCI-E. The international shipping cost might make it not worth it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Yeah, like Ani said, international shipping costs kinda makes borrowing a tad...expensive?

You got any spare cash? You might be able to pick up just-outdated-cards, like something from the GeForce 8800 range or eq. at a Christmas sale nearby. Ask around discount PC stores. You can always drop by the Customised PC or Video Card thread if you need help deciding ;).

animus
Sun, 11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I think I got my 8800GT from newegg after rebate for like 80 bucks.

Back on to the game. I have no idea where the fuck my Dog Meat is. I had him with me during the Minefield thing where Arkansas starts firing at you with his sniper rifle. I get to the playground, and he's not there any more. He didn't trip any mines. He's not back at the scrapyard, and I didn't have him searching for anything. Where's my doggie ;(?

Animeniax
Sun, 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, like Ani said, international shipping costs kinda makes borrowing a tad...expensive?

You got any spare cash? You might be able to pick up just-outdated-cards, like something from the GeForce 8800 range or eq. at a Christmas sale nearby. Ask around discount PC stores. You can always drop by the Customised PC or Video Card thread if you need help deciding ;).
He'll need a new motherboard and CPU to go with any PCI-E card. The 9250 is AGP only, so he has an older system with AGP bus.

I'm 30 hours into FarCry2 and 92% complete. Can't wait to get FallOut 3 and join in with you all.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I think I got my 8800GT from newegg after rebate for like 80 bucks.

Back on to the game. I have no idea where the fuck my Dog Meat is. I had him with me during the Minefield thing where Arkansas starts firing at you with his sniper rifle. I get to the playground, and he's not there any more. He didn't trip any mines. He's not back at the scrapyard, and I didn't have him searching for anything. Where's my doggie ;(?

Hmm...you didn't get any indication that he's not dead? Then, most likely you're gonna have to search Minefield, or try Vault 101. But, he like, doesn't move if you tell him to stay, for the most part...well, how long has he been gone?

animus
Sun, 11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
He's been gone for like 5 hours of actual game play time, haha.

Board of Command
Sun, 11-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm currently at level 4 and doing some side-quests (just finished blood ties and in the middle of doing the giant ant quest), do you guys have any tip? I'm having trouble finding ammo and all the merchant never seem to have enough for you to buy.
There's a perk that you can get fairly early that gives you extra ammo from ammo boxes. Ammo is not a problem later on in the game. Early on, ammo is indeed quite scarce. It'll get better.

I'm level 15 right now and still solo-ing everything.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
He's been gone for like 5 hours of actual game play time, haha.

Sometimes your NPC friends like, wander off, then come waltzing back unexpectedly. Like, during the Reilly's Rangers mission, for example; you have to jump into the hotel, but I don't think any of the NPCs can jump, so I ended up clearing the whole hotel alone :\. Then, at one point My follower just shows up AFTER i had killed every supermutant by myself (1-2 hours later). Hopefully he just pops back up..or you could always search Minefield (very carefully).

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I lied. My last exam's two days away, but I bought this anyway :o

*Installing*

rockmanj
Mon, 11-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Prepare to lose lots of hours wandering around in a virtual landscape (not too different that living near Seoul actually).

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Taking advantage of Archie's off-topicness :p

What's a nice little program you guys would recommend me to view my frame rates in-game for XP?

Edit: The booklet outlines hacking as a potential application of the Science skill. How practical is this in gameplay? I'm thinking about whether I want to be a borderline good/bad thief&hacker or not.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Right, I checked and it'll cost $78US to send a 2 lb (1 kg) package from my location to Portugal via Fedex.

I think one of the big differences between FC2 and FO3 is that there are no real bosses in FC2. Everyone is human and dies the same, though some wear body armor and are slightly harder to kill than the other 90% of the grunts who die pretty easily. It was a pleasant change from typical FPSes but made the game almost too easy even on medium difficulty.

rockmanj
Mon, 11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/diaries_diary7-10.27.08.html

kind of an interesting read.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Interesting read indeed. Probably not the most interesting, but my favourite would have to be Katie of the Iron Fist.

I guess hacking really isn't that useful unless you want to do everything in round-about ways.

And big lol at the fish lady. She's ugly alright.

Lucifus
Mon, 11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Hotdamn Liberty Prime and Pres Eden fucking rule! Fawkes looks like something out of a movie right after I get out of Raven Rock.

Talk later, more Fallout 3 before the nights over.

rockmanj
Mon, 11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, actually hacking can be really useful, depending on the situation. You can control gun turrents, and get lots of ammo that way.

Board of Command
Tue, 11-11-2008, 02:27 AM
I find Repair to be one of the more worthwhile skills to invest in.

I finally got all the parts for the Railway Rifle tonight, but so far it seems pretty disappointing. I'll find some people to test it on later.

rockmanj
Tue, 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I tried to help out some of those brotherhood guys...like, they both got killed, but on the + side, Charon is now decked out in full power armor ^^.

animus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Game's been pretty good, but god damn I'm sick of all these subway station "dungeons".

rockmanj
Thu, 11-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Know what you mean...but I just got that railway spike shooter, so I'm kind of forced to go there for ammo now. Usually, I just stay above ground and deal with the super mutants (not as scary as they were portrayed). OH! And I was attacked by a random deathclaw...again, not as scary as I thought, but it was weakened, so we'll see. BTW, anyone know about anyone named "vera" in Rivet City?

Lucifus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Vera's the owner of the Weatherly Hotel at the top of the ship. If you saved the 'Those!' kid, talk to her and then talk to the kid back at his house.

rockmanj
Thu, 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
ZOMG...i wandered into a deathclaw nest....its so difficult!

Dark Dragon
Thu, 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't understand all the hate for energy weapon in this thread. I got the A3-21's Plasma Rifle
from doing The Replicated Man side quest and man it's awesome.

I just finished the game main quest recently and man that rifle was the only gun that makes taking down those super mutant master painless.

animus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm not that far into the game. I've only put the broadcast dish on the Washington Monument, and about to head to Rivet City. On the way I killed all the fire ants in that nest and shit for a quest.

I just haven't found many energy weapons. Only one I've found so far is the laser pistol. I do have a few miniguns and missile launchers though.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm not that far into the game. I've only put the broadcast dish on the Washington Monument, and about to head to Rivet City. On the way I killed all the fire ants in that nest and shit for a quest.

In terms of the main quest, I've only just found out Dad went to Galaxy Radio. (Yeah, I was cut when the guy upped it to 300 caps for that info :mad:)

I've just been doing side quests to get rich. My guy's mainly a Small Guns, Medic, and Science, though I'm thinking of building on some Repair and Big Gunz skill. Generally he's a bit all round, since I topped him up in Intelligence and Quick Learner, and the Educated perk.

Does anyone know of a way to increase weapon accuracy? Is it defendant on your character skill with the weapon, or the condition of your weapon? I just hate having a guy straight down the sights of my hunting rifle, then having it miss completely.

What do your guys look like? Here's mine. I think he's pretty sexy :D

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5381/screenshot0oa3.jpg

Lucifus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Haha, nice man. How'd you change the camera angle?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Haha, nice man. How'd you change the camera angle?

Hold "F", then move your mouse to rotate the camera around yourself. Scroll in and out to move the camera back and forth.

I just found the sniper from Minefield. Pretty hard to use, with the swaying and all, but when you do hit, it gets you quite a bit of XP. I've been practicing it on some raiders on the opposite bank :D

Lucifus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Decked out in Enclave Telsa Gear.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2226/43487139uv9.jpg

animus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks pretty badass. I should progress further in the story, but have been playing a lot of various stuff lately.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
How important is money later on in the game? I'm trading scraps like crazy to I can get rich. Oh, and leveling up to build my skills. I get +60HP/Stim pack now :D

About levelling up, is it the same as Oblivion where the enemies and their gear advance as well? If so, then it really affects how you skills should be built to make life easier.

Lucifus
Thu, 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Moneys a breeze later on in the game, even with purchasing all that crap for your home.
The gear doesnt really advance, but of course with your stat upgrades, your weapons will do more damage etc.

Tip: Always keep all your weapons in tip top condition.

rockmanj
Thu, 11-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I just found the sniper from Minefield. Pretty hard to use, with the swaying and all, but when you do hit, it gets you quite a bit of XP. I've been practicing it on some raiders on the opposite bank :D

Did you kill the guy, or just shoot the gun out of his hands? Like, that guy might be useful later on....And there are perks that increase your accuracy in V.A.T.S. Btw, does anyone have the ultra SMG? I love using it, but I'm not sure how to maintain it, as 10mm pistols cant be used to repair it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Did you kill the guy, or just shoot the gun out of his hands? Like, that guy might be useful later on....And there are perks that increase your accuracy in V.A.T.S. Btw, does anyone have the ultra SMG? I love using it, but I'm not sure how to maintain it, as 10mm pistols cant be used to repair it.

I killed him. I think he was shooting at me. I wasn't sure. Something was, and then I saw him, so we had a face off. I had a hunting rifle. I've saved at a spot before that though, so I'll walk up to him again and see if he's aggressive. If so, I must have mistaken a bloatfly for him. Poor fellow:p

Edit: Nah, I tried yielding, and he kept firing. He deserved it.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 11-13-2008, 11:25 PM
@ Buffalobiian

Caps is really not that important later on in the game since they are very easy to obtain.

BoC is right, repair is easily the most useful skill in term of helping you make money early on.

What i usually do early on to make caps is since i had a high repair skill, i would just go around killing raiders and collect their armor. I would then repair the armor (since all raider armor can be use to repair each other) and combine increase their durability which raise its value. This was a really good way to make money since i could carry a lot more (cash wise) at a time by combining them in high value pieces instead of carrying 10 cheap one.

The real money makers are fully repaired Chinese rifles (350 caps), regular assault rifles (250 caps), those can be found on most super mutants and fully repaired Laser Rifle (600 caps) come mostly from talon mercs and engrave soldier.

As for the person who asked about improving V.A.T.S, there is a side quest called Replicated Man and it come with 2 reward (if you make the right choices) the A3-21's Plasma Rifle and some item that improve your accuracy in V.A.T.S.

rockmanj
Fri, 11-14-2008, 12:08 AM
I killed him. I think he was shooting at me. I wasn't sure. Something was, and then I saw him, so we had a face off. I had a hunting rifle. I've saved at a spot before that though, so I'll walk up to him again and see if he's aggressive. If so, I must have mistaken a bloatfly for him. Poor fellow:p

Edit: Nah, I tried yielding, and he kept firing. He deserved it.

Well, that's the problem. He's always aggressive, so either try to avoid him, or just shoot the rife out his hands.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, that's the problem. He's always aggressive, so either try to avoid him, or just shoot the rife out his hands.

What happened the first time was that when I got close enough, he came down the stairs before I shot him up close. I searched his body only to find he left his sniper on the roof. So I could do that again, just to grab the sniper without killing him. Do you need him later or something?

rockmanj
Fri, 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM
What happened the first time was that when I got close enough, he came down the stairs before I shot him up close. I searched his body only to find he left his sniper on the roof. So I could do that again, just to grab the sniper without killing him. Do you need him later or something?

You might, for a certain quest...its totally optional to leave him alive though. Just don't get close to him.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
You might, for a certain quest...its totally optional to leave him alive though. Just don't get close to him.

I'll reload that save if I need him later, but I've gone too far in the game to turn back. Thanks.

Are any one you running this game on ATI chipsets? I've installed his game on my brother's computer:

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
3GB DDR2 667 RAM
Radeon HD 4850 512MBDDR3
Windows XP SP2

And it runs like shit. I've put it on "high" preset, then upped the resolution to 1280*1024, 4xAA, 5xAF, and framerates are still bad. Google tells me the current ATI drivers don't go well with FO3, so I'm interested in how other people are compensating.

As for me, I'm very happy with my 9800GTX+. :D

Animeniax
Sat, 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Dang, I should have gotten FO3 before FC2. Oh well, it should arrive in 5 or 6 days. I'm looking forward to killing a lot of time at work with FO3.

Lucifus
Sat, 11-15-2008, 02:41 PM
In all serioiusness, I got FC2 before long before FO3, and yes graphically it kicks its ass and it has a few cool new never before seen features but its still a piece a shyt all the same. Havn't been able to bring myself to start the game in about 2 weeks.

animus
Sat, 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I played Far Cry 2 for like 2 days. Then the rush of games came out. Haven't touched it since.

Board of Command
Sat, 11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Far Cry 2 was brutal. The graphics are nice, but that's about it. I uninstalled it after about 3 hours.

I'll reload that save if I need him later, but I've gone too far in the game to turn back. Thanks.

Are any one you running this game on ATI chipsets? I've installed his game on my brother's computer:

Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz
3GB DDR2 667 RAM
Radeon HD 4850 512MBDDR3
Windows XP SP2

And it runs like shit. I've put it on "high" preset, then upped the resolution to 1280*1024, 4xAA, 5xAF, and framerates are still bad. Google tells me the current ATI drivers don't go well with FO3, so I'm interested in how other people are compensating.

As for me, I'm very happy with my 9800GTX+. :D
It runs perfectly smooth on my Radeon 4850. I'm running it on 1680x1050 with near-max settings, and all indoor scenes are capped out at 60 FPS. Outdoor usually hangs between 45-60.

It's probably your CPU. It's very very old.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Far Cry 2 was brutal. The graphics are nice, but that's about it. I uninstalled it after about 3 hours.

It runs perfectly smooth on my Radeon 4850. I'm running it on 1680x1050 with near-max settings, and all indoor scenes are capped out at 60 FPS. Outdoor usually hangs between 45-60.

It's probably your CPU. It's very very old.

Yeah, that seems to be the only reasonable answer then. I didn't think CPU mattered that much compared to graphics and RAM, but anyhow. What's funny is auto-detect put his rig on "ultra-high", while my C2D 2.4GHz,2GB,9800GTX+ qualified for "high", while I play mine maxed at 1280*1024 no problems.

Main story-wise, my next task is still to find Galaxy Radio. I've been preoccupied with all the side-tasks, like finishing that book for the Supply Lady. There's one task where I have to suffer damage from a mirelurk. They do the damage if I sit there, but do almost no crippling damage at all, so I just ended up throwing a grenade on myself to brreak a leg or two.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Far Cry 2 was brutal. The graphics are nice, but that's about it. I uninstalled it after about 3 hours.I wouldn't say it's not worth playing, cause once I got going, I got a good 30 hours of play time from it. I'd suggest playing it on hard difficulty, since medium is too easy except when they bum rush you.

Definitely sounds like FO3 is more worthwhile though.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah, that seems to be the only reasonable answer then. I didn't think CPU mattered that much compared to graphics and RAM, but anyhow. What's funny is auto-detect put his rig on "ultra-high", while my C2D 2.4GHz,2GB,9800GTX+ qualified for "high", while I play mine maxed at 1280*1024 no problems.

Main story-wise, my next task is still to find Galaxy Radio. I've been preoccupied with all the side-tasks, like finishing that book for the Supply Lady. There's one task where I have to suffer damage from a mirelurk. They do the damage if I sit there, but do almost no crippling damage at all, so I just ended up throwing a grenade on myself to brreak a leg or two.

Oh...I think you just have to get hurt. Like, I went right outside of megaton, set mines, and walked over them...easiest mission yet. Well, maybe 2nd easiest after irradiating yourself.

Board of Command
Sun, 11-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Oh...I think you just have to get hurt. Like, I went right outside of megaton, set mines, and walked over them...easiest mission yet. Well, maybe 2nd easiest after irradiating yourself.
The irradiating yourself one was by far the easiest. You just had to go outside the shop and drink from that puddle of radioactive water. Each sip is +20 rads on top of the +4 rads/second for just standing in the puddle.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-16-2008, 03:04 AM
My hacking skills aren't that high, so I can't access a lot of terminals. Besides allowing you to hack though, does the process become easier with more skill? I played with the one in the Pharmacy at Super Duper Mart, and on my last try, I only had a 50/50 chance after eliminating the words in the most efficient way possible.

I general though, it doesn't seem very useful. There just ain't that many terminals around.

Edit: I forgot about drinking water. I stood in a river for 5 minutes :o

Xelbair
Tue, 11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
First Fallout game that I liked, the others just bored be at start - turn based battle system was annoying there(i usually love them, but this one was just bad). I'm a Small Guns Repair Sneak Medicine Hacking guy, and so far my favorite weapon is hunting rifle. In main quest I'm after Dad's Lab. Game is great so far, but it feels totally like oblivion with guns, without unique name for each npc, but thanks to the obivion engine i coulp pimp up the graphics(visual range and grass ammount to be precise).

Terracosmo
Tue, 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I read this thread, saw the line "Oblivion with guns" and was sold. Freakin' awesome!
But for some reason it crashes A LOT on my PC...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I read this thread, saw the line "Oblivion with guns" and was sold. Freakin' awesome!
But for some reason it crashes A LOT on my PC...

You're not the only one. Got the 1.0.0.15 patch? My brother has his patched though, but it's still crashing from what I've heard. His system was mentioned above, so you can see if you notice any similarities.

Fortunately, it's never crashed once on mine. :)

Lucifus
Tue, 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Crashed as soon as I got in game before I finally got the correct cracks for the reloaded version on the bay. After which, smooth sailing, no crashes since.

Ain't it amazing how pirated copies of games always seem to run better than just off the shelves?

I swear to god, every game I actually buy always gives me some form of unexplained trouble.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Anyone seen this article about Fallout 3 in Japan?

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3/news.html?sid=6200975&mode=all

Those crazy Japanese.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Has anyone finished the game yet? According to my brother, once the credit finishes, you can't roam free like you did in Oblivion. I personally don't think that's a good thing, though according to some source, there's like 118 different endings, so depending on the player, there may be heaps of replay value.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 11-19-2008, 06:49 PM
I've gotten about 5-6 endings so far and to be honest calling them "different endings" is cheap. From the ones i've gotten so far it's pretty much the ending narrative with different variation in the pictures that they use.

Make sure you have at least one extra save point after the Raven Rock event because if you follow the next mission there is pretty much no going back.

Terracosmo
Wed, 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I googled about the problems in Fallout 3 and apparently you can fix some of them (if you use Vista) by using your FFDshow something blabla... well anyway I followed those instructions, still freezes but not as much. Yay!

Might look into the "right crack" thing. I also use Reloaded's ver...

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I hated Oblivion, partially due to my computer being unable to handle it at the time and largely because I've never liked first person hand to hand combat, all the way back to the games of the DOOM era. On the other hand, Baldur's Gate and games like the original Fallout series (1 & 2) are some of my favorite type of games.

So my question is:

Is Fallout 3 something I should try considering my less-than-enjoyed experiences with games played like the Elder Scroll series?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM
To me, Fallout 3 doesn't really feel like "Oblivion with guns". If I were to compare the overall impression of the game to another, it'd be Half Life 2. It'd definitely RPG based as opposed to FPS, but I find that comparison more appropriate.

I know it doesn't really answer your question. I can say I never liked Oblivion much, but I'm really enjoying FO3. (I also loved HL2)

Dark Dragon
Sat, 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I hated Oblivion, partially due to my computer being unable to handle it at the time and largely because I've never liked first person hand to hand combat, all the way back to the games of the DOOM era. On the other hand, Baldur's Gate and games like the original Fallout series (1 & 2) are some of my favorite type of games.

So my question is:

Is Fallout 3 something I should try considering my less-than-enjoyed experiences with games played like the Elder Scroll series?

If your main issue with Oblivion was the combat then you won't have any problem with Fallout 3.

FO3 allow you to switch between 3rd and 1st person view just by pressing 1 button and being in 3rd person makes melee combat much less annoying. The game is also half fps so after a few hours into the game where you have solved the initial ammo problems, ditching melee weapon altogether and going fps style combat is a much more realistic approach. The combat is never 100% fps though since it's much more effective (and satisfying) to use the V.A.T.S system which you should be familiar with if you've played FO1 & 2.

FO3 is not 100% true to the original series but a lot of the series trademarks is back. The SPECIAL system, skill sets and perks are all here. I really dislike the skill up system in Oblivion so it was a blessing that this game adopt the FO style instead.

I always hated the "Oblivion with guns" comparison since Oblivion was quite flawed and that comparison tends to put people off. This game is much closer to a 3D FO1 and 2 with Oblivion conversation system and FPS combat thrown in and if that sound like your cup of tea then you should go for it.

edit: I forgot to mention that the initial starting area can get quite tedious so the game only get good after you've left the starting area.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I did not really intend to (and did not directly) use the "Oblivion with guns" comparison, but because both games are made by Bethesda and Oblivion being the only other game they've developed that I have played, I was going with what I knew.

That said, I'll go for it. Getting it through Steam as I type.

Thank you both for the advice.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 11-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I did not really intend to (and did not directly) use the "Oblivion with guns" comparison, but because both games are made by Bethesda and Oblivion being the only other game they've developed that I have played, I was going with what I knew.

I didn't mean that you used it. In almost every single review i've seen and most of the people i've talked to about this game have used "Oblivion with guns" so i just got a bit annoyed.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM

What Dark Dragon said. I suppose I used the term so illustrate that it's not Oblivion w/o melee combat, rather than as a response to your using it. Happy playing!

Animeniax
Sun, 11-23-2008, 01:10 AM
How close did you all make your adult character look like your real self? I think I got it close, but the game is missing some options for your typical yellow Asian person.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
How close did you all make your adult character look like your real self? I think I got it close, but the game is missing some options for your typical yellow Asian person.

I got pretty close, if i was 10 years older, went through army training and had my face restructured a few times.

The character creation tool is pretty good though, i do chuckle at the fact that everyone will still recognize you even after a face lift.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-23-2008, 02:08 AM

It looks kinda like me, except my char. has a thick old school Eddie Murphy moustache; also, the hair options don't really work out that well...I always just wear the "Shady Hat" all the time, anyway. My next play through, I'm thinking of playing as an evil Asian woman; a la my gf :P

Animeniax
Sun, 11-23-2008, 02:20 AM
It's too late for me to go back and create my appearance again so I can take a screenshot, so is there a way to bring up your face later in the game to take a screenshot? We could all post our characters' faces.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-23-2008, 03:02 AM
It's too late for me to go back and create my appearance again so I can take a screenshot, so is there a way to bring up your face later in the game to take a screenshot? We could all post our characters' faces.

Hold "F", then move your mouse to rotate the camera around yourself. Scroll in and out to move the camera back and forth.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-23-2008, 04:13 AM
Cool thanks man, I'll give it a try. I purposefully skimmed most of this thread to avoid spoilers, so I didn't see your original post.

Did you go with yellow Asian for your appearance? I did.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Nah, mine looks a bit tanned, with rusty-brown hair. I'll post another pic with better lighting later.

Next time I go through the game though, I'll see if I can make him look like Jet Li (or even Bruce Lee) as much as possible, then load him up on stats/perks that top up open-hand combat and AP for VATS.

Hoping then to make him evil, and see some cinematic ass kicking :D

There ain't duel pistols out there, right? They'd boost badass factor for this guy.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Wow, graphically FO3 can't compare at all to FC2. I miss the amazing graphics in FC2 and it makes playing FO3 a lot less interesting than I expected. I'm using an 8800GTX with every setting at high.

animus
Mon, 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM
One thing I didn't like about Fallout 3's graphics were that the animations are very awkward. And looking at your character run in 3rd person makes me think, if they worked at all on realistic movement.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-24-2008, 08:44 AM
The in-game graphics aren't even as smooth and clean as in the screenshots I've seen of the game, and everything looks the same, kind of cluttered and jumbled together. Maybe they were using an SLI setup, but the 8800GTX handled FC2 on high settings and it was spectacular. In FC2, even with the repetitive landscapes everything was separate and stood apart from the stuff around it, making for an amazing visual experience in a video game. I'm going to tweak the display settings a bit in FO3 and see if I can't get it to look better.

edit: I changed video settings to ultra and it looks a little better, but nothing as good as FC2 or Crysis. Maybe I'll have to find a cheap 8800GTX and go SLI.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-24-2008, 09:19 AM
You have your own house in the first town you encounter. There are various upgrades you can buy for your house, and by default it comes with storage lockers where you can stash all your stuff. You don't have to return to your house; it's more like your house is the ideal place to store all your stuff, heal yourself, detox yourself, etc.
The first town I've encountered is Megaton, and I haven't found a house for myself and I'm supposed to nuke the city? Actually I don't want this spoiled, but I'm just curious.

animus
Mon, 11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Nuking the city is bad karma (obviously). On the flipside, defusing the bomb which I'm sure you were tasked with also by Lucas Simms is good karma.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM
If the first city I encounter is where my house is and that is Megaton city, then if I nuke the city I nuke my house too?

animus
Mon, 11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
That would be correct. You can get another place to call your own in Tenpenny Suite. Though that's just what I've heard, I haven't done the quest line for it. I'm not sure but you might only get it if you nuke Megaton.

rockmanj
Mon, 11-24-2008, 12:50 PM
. I'm not sure but you might only get it if you nuke Megaton.

I have a key to a Tenpenny suite, but I'm pretty sure you get the nice setup is if you nuke Megaton.

If the first city I encounter is where my house is and that is Megaton city, then if I nuke the city I nuke my house too?

If you nuke Megaton, then you get a penthouse. If you disarm the bomb, you get a 2 story shack in Megaton. Depends on what kind of karma you want.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't want bad karma, which is all I've been getting because I steal everything that I hope will be useful. However, I don't want a shack when a suite is available, so I'll probably nuke the place. I just have to remember that it's everyone for himself in this post-apocalyptic world.

So I guess I should complete some missions for the folks in Megaton before I nuke the place, or should I just nuke it and get started with building my suite?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd complete some missions, personally. After you nuke it, only one person survives, from what I heard. You might be able to get the same info elsewhere, but I can't confirm (I've already disarmed it).

Dark Dragon
Mon, 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd complete some missions, personally. After you nuke it, only one person survives, from what I heard. You might be able to get the same info elsewhere, but I can't confirm (I've already disarmed it).

You can't do any of the megaton mission after you nuked it. One person survive but she doesn't give the quest anymore.

rockmanj
Tue, 11-25-2008, 01:23 AM
I mean the shack isn't that bad...You get your own robot and stuff that gives you free water; and you have like 6 rooms or something like that. And the people in Tenpenny suck. I actually made a save, then massacred almost everyone in there (guards included). But then i reloaded, so that I could do the Tenpennt tower missions. So its up to you Ani, if you want a huge amount of bad karma, be my guest. I guess it doesn't matter that much, since people will be chasing you if you're good or bad.

P.S. I just realized how bad ass my character is now...those Tenpenny security guys are no joke (I also had Charon with me too..)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Hmm, about Megaton, I somehow got the key to access the armory, though when I open it, the robot tries to waste me, and Nathan come charging in. If I kill him, the whole town's after me.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Crap I need to stop reading this thread. Thanks for the suggestions rockmanj, but I don't want these spoilers to affect how I play the game. Before I read about the Tenpenny suite I was going to save Megaton. Though I don't particularly like anyone in Megaton, so now I'm doing all the missions for them that I can before I nuke them.

The karma thing should worry me more, but I haven't seen the effect of really bad karma so I will probably nuke the place.

animus
Tue, 11-25-2008, 01:54 AM
As far as I know Karma only effects what characters you can recruit, and certain perks have karma requirements. Maybe even a unique dialogue option here and there. Oh yea and occassionally with high good karma, Megaton settlers would randomly walk up to me and give me a gift. Sometimes something useful is given, sometimes something useless is.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Oh yea and occassionally with high good karma, Megaton settlers would randomly walk up to me and give me a gift. Sometimes something useful is given, sometimes something useless is.
Are the gifts as cool as all the supplies and equipment you can steal that gives bad karma?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-25-2008, 03:05 AM
It's nothing really, sometimes it's just a few caps, or a few scraps. They don't give it to you as frequently as you can steal, just a bonus for having good karma.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 11-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Having good karma allow you to recruit Fawkes, who in my opinion is the best ally in the game.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Dang, reading this thread is making me second-guess my actions. When I met Barrett and his friend in the Northern station, I thought it was going to be a fight so I unloaded on them right away. When I received bad karma for it, I loaded a previous save game and talked to them instead, then blew them away.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-25-2008, 06:52 AM
i nuked megaton just to see the explosion, looked pretty damn awesome on my setup, just save it and try it.
Oh i also got double the credits when i nuked it, cause I convinced the dude to give me an extra 500, so now cause of the money and the penthouse, I'm not really sure if i'll save megaton :3

Ryllharu
Tue, 11-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I just like being an explosives expert period.

Mines are a piece of cake if I can find them fast enough (sell for a lot, but have limited use in combat), and grenades do a ton more damage if you can land one right at their feet. I took out six raiders with a well placed grenade at one of the stations near the hotel.

Selling mines gives me more caps for more grenades!

rockmanj
Tue, 11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I just like being an explosives expert period.

Mines are a piece of cake if I can find them fast enough (sell for a lot, but have limited use in combat),

Well, mines can be really useful, if you use some advance planning. If I'm grossly outnumbered (which happens a lot, of course). I'll run from combat, equip a stealth boy, and Set mines alone the path I'm on. Then I'll agitate my quarry to make them chase me, then Boom! Cripples all around that are super-easy to pick off ^^. It also helps that even without a stealth boy, my sneak rating is extremely high.

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-26-2008, 04:34 AM
I found it more enjoyable to do all that without a stealth boy. It is just hard in many tunnel situations to do all that advanced planning. Though I won't deny I just recently discovered the joys of planting landmines near the natural gas leaks and luring them in.

The only downside to explosives is, on occassion, it can be hard to find the bodies (in order to loot them) after they get individual parts scattered to the four winds. :D

Animeniax
Wed, 11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Crap I killed some Paladins and now I'm an "evil marauder".

It's frustrating how hard it is to get ammo, plus I keep stumbling onto new areas with new mission and it's getting all confused. Plus my trigger finger is getting itchy about setting off the nuke in Megaton and getting on with finding my dad, instead of wasting time doing missions for Moira's stupid survival guide.

rockmanj
Wed, 11-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I found it more enjoyable to do all that without a stealth boy. It is just hard in many tunnel situations to do all that advanced planning. Though I won't deny I just recently discovered the joys of planting landmines near the natural gas leaks and luring them in.

The only downside to explosives is, on occassion, it can be hard to find the bodies (in order to loot them) after they get individual parts scattered to the four winds. :D

Well, just look for the chunks ^^ You don't need the whole body ;)

and how did you kill them? Was it an accident? Or just jumpy? That's happened to me a couple of times; like i was surprised by someone, and just took their head off.

darkshadow
Wed, 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
lol i become an evil marauder all the time, well now im a vagabond of the wastes, was a pirate of the waste before this, but if you become evil, just go donate to the church, or give some bum clean water.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Oh cool, I'll give that bum outside Megaton some clean water then.

Just as I complained that there were too many missions to keep track of, I finish one mission and that completes 3 other missions. Pretty sweet.

Couple more missions for Moira and then I nuke Megaton.

edit: I love land mines too. The monsters will track you taking the least obstructed path, so it's easy to lay mines and they'll almost always walk over them.

I'm still having trouble getting ammo, so I've resorted to killing people outright if they're carrying a weapon with the ammo type that I want.

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, just look for the chunks ^^ You don't need the whole body ;)

and how did you kill them? Was it an accident? Or just jumpy? That's happened to me a couple of times; like i was surprised by someone, and just took their head off.
True.

I intentionally take everyone's head off, and I'll take the relevant perks once I level enough to do so with greater efficiency. I only aim for the torso or legs when the head hit rate in V.A.T.S. is below 65%.

I don't really see the issue with finding ammo though. It was tough early on before I headed off to the radio building, but I only used the 10mm pistol back then in order to conserve ammo. After you start killing a lot of Super Mutants, rifle rounds (.38) are everywhere. Sure, .308 (sniper rifle) and energy weapons ammo is rare, but everything else is very plentiful if you strive to make every shot a critical or sneak attack. Also, use what all of them use, 10mm and .38 rounds. The Hunting Rifle is my bread and butter.

After taking the scrounger perk, I've got ammo up to my eyeballs.

Wild dogs still kick my ass though. I usually lose a quarter to a third of my health before I can decapitate one. Too fast to run away from too.

darkshadow
Wed, 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
How about just running up to them and nailing them with the sledgehammer? works like a charm ;).
I pretty much use only the hammer, shotgun, .44 scoped magnum and grenades in this game, sporadic use of other weapons when im a bit too low on health.

Oh and Bloody Mess + sledgehammer makes you feel like hercules.

rockmanj
Wed, 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Just got a hold of a plasma rifle, and I can't say that I'm impressed. Sure, it turns people into goo, but ehh...I prefer my good old lincoln repeater or terrible shotgun ;)

Animeniax
Thu, 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM
After taking the scrounger perk, I've got ammo up to my eyeballs.Right after I complained about not finding enough ammo, I happened upon Rivet City. You'll feel bad about taking the scrounger perk if/once you visit there.

I went with Commando to improve rifle accuracy in VATS and Fortune Finder to get more caps to buy stuff with.

They're making it harder and harder to nuke Megaton. Some of the folks are very nice and it will be sad to kill them all.

I found an easy way to reset your karma to neutral. The solution involves Rivet City.

darkshadow
Thu, 11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I visited rivet city even before going to GNR ( I still haven't), and the scrounger perk is still mega usefull, finding 42 .44 magnum rounds randomly while fighting some super mutants never really happened to me.

animus
Thu, 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Funny how they made Super Mutants out to be all scary and stuff. When 90% of the time they're using sledge hammers and hunting rifles. Well atleast it's easy to repair my Lincoln Repeater.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I visited rivet city even before going to GNR ( I still haven't), and the scrounger perk is still mega usefull, finding 42 .44 magnum rounds randomly while fighting some super mutants never really happened to me.In the market place in Rivet you can pretty much load up on all your ammo, at a cost. Then if you go nuts on Vance and the Family, you'll get even more ammo than you need. So far though, fortune finder isn't paying off like advertised. Maybe higher levels will give me the $ I'm looking for.

I'm pissed now, I was almost complete with the West mission, then bam, it says I failed the quest. What's that about? I'm thinking it's a gameplay bug, since everything leading up to the failure had no karma effects and I freed the captive.

rockmanj
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
In the market place in Rivet you can pretty much load up on all your ammo, at a cost. Then if you go nuts on Vance and the Family, you'll get even more ammo than you need. So far though, fortune finder isn't paying off like advertised. Maybe higher levels will give me the $ I'm looking for.

I'm pissed now, I was almost complete with the West mission, then bam, it says I failed the quest. What's that about? I'm thinking it's a gameplay bug, since everything leading up to the failure had no karma effects and I freed the captive.

You mean the chick in Megaton's family? what did you do?

Animeniax
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
You mean the chick in Megaton's family? what did you do?
I think her name is Jenny West and you have to find her little brother who has been taken by Vance and the Family. I killed Vance and the entire Family because it was the only way to free the kid because my science score is too low to hack the security on the room he was trapped in. Once I freed him and showed him his sister's letter, he thanked me and asked me to go to Arefu and let Evan King know he's coming. Once I left the Family's hideout, it said everyone in Arefu hated me and therefore I failed the mission.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:53 PM
You can also use a high enough speech skill on Vance, or if you have the Lady Killer/Black Widow perk you can use special dialogue options to persuade some of the other members of the Family to give you the password. No science needed.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I used all of my skill points/perks for money/strength/weapons and some learning. No smooth-talking, since it's not my strength in real life. I'm pretty much playing the game like it's me as the main character, even making my appearance as close as possible.

Killing them all was fun and the loot from the area was worth it. I just don't understand why it would upset everyone in Arefu and make me fail the mission, since I freed the brother and was going to Arefu to tell his friend.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Did you end up going back to Arefu?

Animeniax
Thu, 11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Well the mission is grayed out now and if I do go, I'll probably have to kill everyone there and possibly ruin my karma, so I probably won't go.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2008, 02:44 PM
If someone attacks you first and you kill them, does that make you lose karma?

darkshadow
Thu, 11-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Lol at the family.
I simply walked in, talked to the whore and used lady killer on her, which already made me win the quest, then I talked to Vance's girl and was able to use scoundrel on her(double win), then after i opened the door I speeched the kid to simply go home. Then it seemed Vance liked me a lot for some reason and would no longer harm Arefu, and I'm now a friend of the Family.

Flawless victory.

But yeah super humans are pretty harmless to me now, those damn fireants are what really cause me trouble, cause I'm mainly melee, small weapons and explosives(which ran out).

rockmanj
Thu, 11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I used all of my skill points/perks for money/strength/weapons and some learning. No smooth-talking, since it's not my strength in real life. I'm pretty much playing the game like it's me as the main character, even making my appearance as close as possible.

Killing them all was fun and the loot from the area was worth it. I just don't understand why it would upset everyone in Arefu and make me fail the mission, since I freed the brother and was going to Arefu to tell his friend.

Wow..you're gonna end up being like a pirate...I just speeched them to get the win. Like, I think you're supposed to talk the kid out of there...not murder everyone. The only reason they busted in Arefu was because of some mistake...FYI Arefu was like a Romanian town where like, Dracula was helped by people in order to regain power.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I went there, talked to the Vance and stuff, and he told me to go read the rules. I read them and told him I understood a little more about then, then told the kid to go home. Afterwards, I struck a deal with Vance that if Arefu provides them with blood packs, they protect Arefu. They seemed happy, and so did the folks at Arefu. I didn't tell them about the blood packs though :p

I thought that's how everybody's story went. Interesting how it all turns out differently. I'm currently getting slaughtered by this group of Talon Mercs. It took me 3 tries to find out where the rocket launcher guy was camping. He kept setting off chain reactions with a line of vehicles.

I'm sort of a Mr. Nice guy, but more of a Mr. Nice-If-You-Pay-Me-Guy :)

Edit: I just round this out today. Your character has a level cap of 20. I thought it was infinite, or at least something high like 100 so you can own at everything. Guess not. I guess I'll have to actually think about how I go up now.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I knew about the cap, which is why I was focusing as Commando Assassin Bomber with a slight bonus to speech to get me better stuff.

I've been trying to play mostly good, pretending I came out of a vault that had 1950s ideals. It seems to fit the theme, despite the brutality I rain down upon my foes. I am a friend to ghouls and citizens alike, but cross me and you die, because I have stronger bombs (and more of them) :D

Polite in conversation, uncompromising in war. It's the American way!

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2008, 07:48 PM
About the ghouls, I found this was pretty funny. Remember how I said I kept getting killed? Well, I kept forgetting to save too, so I had to walk for 5mins every time before I got to the same guys again. On the way at this one place, something different happens every time:

1) There's a few super mutants walking around nilly willy. I killed them.
2) There were some super mutants holding some travellers hostage. I kill them and rescue the hostages for a feee.

3) There were three ghouls sitting around from being exiled. I didn't shoot them, and they were grateful. I left them alone

4) There were two ghouls and two travelers arguing over who gets this fridge full of water, which magically appeared there. I stood next to them just to see the action. There was a ghoul left after a shoot-up, and he told me to fuck off from the water. I was going to do that, then I saw his combat shotgun.

So I killed him, repaired my own shotty, and drank all the water :)

animus
Thu, 11-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, there're random events like that. I had the 4th one come up before.

rockmanj
Fri, 11-28-2008, 12:07 AM
I went there, talked to the Vance and stuff, and he told me to go read the rules. I read them and told him I understood a little more about then, then told the kid to go home. Afterwards, I struck a deal with Vance that if Arefu provides them with blood packs, they protect Arefu. They seemed happy, and so did the folks at Arefu. I didn't tell them about the blood packs though :p

I thought that's how everybody's story went. Interesting how it all turns out differently. I'm currently getting slaughtered by this group of Talon Mercs. It took me 3 tries to find out where the rocket launcher guy was camping. He kept setting off chain reactions with a line of vehicles.

I'm sort of a Mr. Nice guy, but more of a Mr. Nice-If-You-Pay-Me-Guy :)

Edit: I just round this out today. Your character has a level cap of 20. I thought it was infinite, or at least something high like 100 so you can own at everything. Guess not. I guess I'll have to actually think about how I go up now.

I think on the PC version, you might be able to use codes to raise your level to whatever you want to (i've seen the hax for it). And those Talon guys always seem to pop up whenever I fast travel to some metro...they're like just there waiting and shit. Luckily my follower is quick on the trigger finger (although he killed like a bunch of the outcasts :S)

Animeniax
Fri, 11-28-2008, 01:03 AM
I picked up the droid Sergeant RL-3 as my first follower. He can carry a decent amount of cargo and is aggressive about attacking. He's also a military coot who spouts marine battle cries when he attacks.

edit: I reloaded a previous save and went back to the Family area right after I killed everyone. This time, I snuck out past the gate guard Patrick and was able to complete the mission. I didn't bother reloading again and killing the guard to see if that triggers the fail.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Shit...I accidentally started some shit with the Outcasts, and now those bastards are hunting me down too! Anyone know a good place to get .308 ammo? Like besides random enemies?

animus
Sat, 11-29-2008, 01:01 AM
.308? Is that the Sniper Rifle ammo? If so, pray you get lucky off traders, because those're rare.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 11-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Shit...I accidentally started some shit with the Outcasts, and now those bastards are hunting me down too! Anyone know a good place to get .308 ammo? Like besides random enemies?

Rivet city has a nice chunk of ammo for sale, but if you're still having trouble with ammo try progressing further into the main storyline and unlock more cities. If you haven't gone to underworld yet, it's in the museum of history next to the washing monument.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Yea, i have Charon as my follower, and I'm pretty far in the game. I have loads of everything else. Oh, and a place that is a fun kill fest: Paradise Falls (if you're good or bad!) Too bad that there were only 8 of them or so.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-29-2008, 07:56 AM
With my main, a sneaker/sniper, .308 ammo is the only kind of ammo I will ever buy (I scavenge the rest), and I buy it every time I pass by a shop, whether I need it then or not.

I also worked out a new character for more fun and using heavy weapons. Seeing a supermutant get a face full of minigun rounds at 5 feet away and watching his face turn into a crater (but still not die) is a true pleasure. Still couldn't bring myself to blowing up Megaton. I got the cell, but couldn't build up the nerve to do it, disarming the bomb in the end.

On a lighter note, anyone else meet the friendly, dumb yet philosophical Super Mutant, "Uncle Joe" or something like that?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I saw hims as I wondered around. I didn't talk to him much though. Just learnt enough that his brothers are transforming people.

Animeniax
Sat, 11-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Still couldn't bring myself to blowing up Megaton. I got the cell, but couldn't build up the nerve to do it, disarming the bomb in the end.
Same here, I had planned for the past 5 days to blow up Megaton, but once I met the residents of Tenpenny Suites and talked to Tenpenny about why Megaton should be nuked, I couldn't do it. I'm now a "good paladin."

Spoiler: Killing Tenpenny gives good karma :p The shack you get for saving Megaton is more homey than the hotel room suite you get at Tenpenny.

rockmanj
Sat, 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I saw hims as I wondered around. I didn't talk to him much though. Just learnt enough that his brothers are transforming people.

Where was he? Just some random place?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
From memory, down south, but it was a long time ago. Somebody else who was paying attention may give you a better direction.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-30-2008, 04:19 AM
I'm sorely disappointed in the followers I've picked up so far. RL-3 was ok, but he got killed easily by a missile-launching mutant. Charon did even worse. I had him for all of 30 minutes of play time before he charged after a super mutant behemoth and got killed. Worst 1000 caps I've spent.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-30-2008, 04:41 AM
I haven't gotten any followers yet, mainly because I've been putting off finding Galaxy Radio. Any suggestions on who's the best bang for the buck? And are they all human? I wouldn't mind being the leader of a ghoul army or a supermutant mob.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 11-30-2008, 05:06 AM
I haven't gotten any followers yet, mainly because I've been putting off finding Galaxy Radio. Any suggestions on who's the best bang for the buck? And are they all human? I wouldn't mind being the leader of a ghoul army or a supermutant mob.

The best follower in my opinion is Fawkes. I don't want to spoiled too much about the game but you can only recruit him near the end of the main storyline. He is easily the best because of the absurd amount of damages he can absorb on top of his awesome weapon (Laser Mini-Gun).

I've tried all of the other followers and my problem is they die too damn fast so it's pretty much impossible to bring them to any heavy fire fight. Fawkes is pretty much the only one who will be able to be useful in these kind of situation granted he will still die if you leave him alone vs 2-3 guys.

edit: I forgot to mention that you must have good Karma in order to recruit Fawkes, i was really disappointed that i couldn't get him during my evil play through.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-30-2008, 05:47 AM

RL-3 is a droid and Charon is a ghoul, but those are the only two I've encountered so far. I think they best serve as pack-mules because even if you tell them to stay back, the attackers will chase after them. If they get cornered, they're dead meat.

RL-3 floats so he keeps up with you better. I had problems with Charon's path-finding when he was supposed to follow me, so we'd get split up and he'd be fighting something while I'm somewhere nearby. Charon is very aggressive but he will equip the best armor and weapon (according to the role you define for him) that you put in his inventory.

edit: Plus there's Jericho in Megaton, and he's human, but you have to be on the bad side of karma to hire him.

Xelbair
Sun, 11-30-2008, 06:41 AM
I don't know what happned but now everytime i load my save game chrashes...

Animeniax
Sun, 11-30-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't know what happned but now everytime i load my save game chrashes...
Did you try loading an older saved game? Maybe check video settings on the startup screen.

Xelbair
Sun, 11-30-2008, 08:10 AM
yea I did. I edited FALLOUT.ini to have better graphics long time ago, with ini edited game starts to load save and from time to time lets me play(regardless of save), and if i turn it back to normal it crashes instantly.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM

She can't be a permanent follower, but my best experience so far was with Sydney at the National Archives. She never seemed to ruin my stealth too much (started guns blazing just once or twice), and she came with a custom 10mm SMG that does a ton of damage. If you want to go that route, you can probably kill her for it. I had plenty of stimpacks to keep her healthy though.

The plus side is she gives you a pretty neat ammo dealer when you're done (won't tell you where, she tells you herself at the end of the quest).

Animeniax
Sun, 11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Anyone fought Deathclaws yet? Tough bastards.

Does anyone know where to see gameplay stats at? I remember seeing them once somewhere, and it showed how many hours you've played the game. That might have been FarCry2 though, I can't recall now.

rockmanj
Sun, 11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
She can't be a permanent follower, but my best experience so far was with Sydney at the National Archives. She never seemed to ruin my stealth too much (started guns blazing just once or twice), and she came with a custom 10mm SMG that does a ton of damage. If you want to go that route, you can probably kill her for it. I had plenty of stimpacks to keep her healthy though.

The plus side is she gives you a pretty neat ammo dealer when you're done (won't tell you where, she tells you herself at the end of the quest).

If you have a certain item, she will give you her gun (which mauls the opposition)

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
On the topic of followers:

My stealthly sniper's saintly karmic levels allowed me to pick up Star Protector Cross. What a match made in heaven. She runs in like a moron with a Super Sledge, while I stay hidden and pop heads off of all the enemies she aggros. Her damage resistance is phenomenal, so I can just let her go to town while I sit on a hill a little ways off. Hell, I don't even need to use VATS half the time with the sniper rifle.

On occassion, the Talons and Raiders walk right next to me, totally focused on Cross, while I pop them from 5 feet away!

rockmanj
Mon, 12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Just went ahead and finished the game... I was like the Saint of the Wastelands or something. Time to make my evil Asian woman melee fighter (loosely based on my gf lol). Is anyone playing with an evil slant? I think you are, arent you Ani?

Animeniax
Mon, 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I was, but then my kind-hearted nature won out and I've been as good as a Vault Legend or some such. Now I'm mostly neutral, tending towards good.

When you finished the game, did it show how many of the possible missions and locations you actually completed?

rockmanj
Mon, 12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
No, but before i finished, I got the Explorer perk. I might go back to a previous save and check out all the places that were revealed.

Animeniax
Wed, 12-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm at 52 hours of game time so far, and that doesn't include probably 10 hours of do-overs, over a span of 10 days. I think this is the most and longest I've played a game, not counting CS:S.

I'm currently looking for every location on the map before I continue the Purity storyline.

edit: Dogmeat is the most obnoxious of your followers. I've almost shot him myself several times on purpose, and finally let him die when he attacked a guardian robot. F*cking stupid dog.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I picked up Clover with a super-evil character. You'd think a psycho bitch like her, a melee centric follower wearing naught but a sundress would be fragile, but she just doesn't seem to know when to quit. Haven't gotten her killed yet, trashed, beaten half to death and crippled in four places, but not dead.

Well worth the price, better than any of the other followers I had to pay for.

itadakimasu
Thu, 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
: (

I guess I'm really late to join the thread. I was too busy playing WoW when fallout was released I guess.

Anyhow, I was trying to find some info on karma levels. since Ani had 52+ hours of gameplay I guess I'm really just getting started. I decided to go an evil route, since I started the game by killing the overseer in an attempt to rescue his daughter from interregation ( lol ) and... then I decided it might be fun to blow up megaton since I got rewarded w\ a suite in the tenpenny tower where I can rest up and reload ammo etc.

Kakashi_Solo
Thu, 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
: (

I guess I'm really late to join the thread. I was too busy playing WoW when fallout was released I guess.

Anyhow, I was trying to find some info on karma levels. since Ani had 52+ hours of gameplay I guess I'm really just getting started. I decided to go an evil route, since I started the game by killing the overseer in an attempt to rescue his daughter from interregation ( lol ) and... then I decided it might be fun to blow up megaton since I got rewarded w\ a suite in the tenpenny tower where I can rest up and reload ammo etc.

You know you could of disarmed the bomb and got a house in Megaton right? ;)

Animeniax
Thu, 01-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I spent about 75-80 hours over a 12 day period playing FO3. Longest I've ever played a game unless you count MUDs from back in the 1990s. Good thing I spent most of the 75-80 hours playing this game at work.

Marik
Fri, 01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Heads up!

Fallout 3 Level Cap Getting Dialed Up to 30

In an interview with Eurogamer, Fallout 3 lead producer Jeff Gardiner reveals that the Broken Steel downloadable content due out in March allow players to take their character all the way to level 30. Along with the promised raise in level cap to 30, Broken Steel also removes the ending for the game, allowing players to continue on in their adventure rather than having to deal with those pesky ending credits.

"Along with removing the game's 'ending' with Broken Steel, we figure raising the level cap would allow them to [enjoy the game for longer]. We plan on raising it to level 30 - but it will be a long, hard climb to get there!"

[/URL][URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-operation-anchorage-interview"]Eurogamer Interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bethesda-to-raise-fallout-level-cap-to-30)

Animeniax
Fri, 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Sweet news. I was just about to uninstall FO3 from my PC too. Glad I decided not to. Thanks for the post, Marik.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I wonder what kind of new content will be there though. By the time I got to Level 20, my two Sneak 'N Snipe characters (one good, one evil) were pretty much unstoppable. There was hardly any challenge at all. Sneak in, and it was: headshot-->dead, headshot-->dead. If I got caught, it was: headshot, headshot--->dead, headshot, torso (to mix it up), headshot-->dead.

My Heavy Armaments and Armor character had a bit more of a challenge (because I was usually running out of 5mm or the minigun needed repair) but that was more or less the same. I just didn't have to play in V.A.T.S. at all with that one.

I can't really imagine the Sneak 'N Snipe having any problems unless they have overwhelming numbers against me.

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
only thing about ps3 is that VATS is needed alot more. the only thing that made me hesitate to open my copy instead of exchange for pc was worries about aiming w\ the ps3 pad ( x mas gift, otherwise i'd have bought pc version )

so.. i got raped last night in this tunnel on my way to the museum from GNR. I had like, 27 stim packs and idk if it was mines, or grenades or what but i was getting blown up left and right and by the time i got to the museum i had like, 50% hp, no food, no stims!

still haven't found anybody to join my party. Only npc i've found that i could possibly have got to join me was jericho before i blew up megaton. but before i blew up megaton, my karma was very good and he wouldn't join me.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
If you are considerably evil and have 1000 caps, find Paradise Falls. The psycho bitch there was one of my favorite followers (before she got blown up many, many hours later). Clover, she will not let you down.

Lucifus
Fri, 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
That really is pretty cool news. I might just complete every single little thing I can, and make another character and repeat.

rockmanj
Fri, 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Heads up!

Fallout 3 Level Cap Getting Dialed Up to 30

In an interview with Eurogamer, Fallout 3 lead producer Jeff Gardiner reveals that the Broken Steel downloadable content due out in March allow players to take their character all the way to level 30. Along with the promised raise in level cap to 30, Broken Steel also removes the ending for the game, allowing players to continue on in their adventure rather than having to deal with those pesky ending credits.

"Along with removing the game's 'ending' with Broken Steel, we figure raising the level cap would allow them to [enjoy the game for longer]. We plan on raising it to level 30 - but it will be a long, hard climb to get there!"

[/URL][URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-3-operation-anchorage-interview"]Eurogamer Interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bethesda-to-raise-fallout-level-cap-to-30)

Too bad they aren't doing it for the PS3, because of that stupid Microsoft deal. Ghey~

Animeniax
Fri, 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I wonder what kind of new content will be there though. By the time I got to Level 20, my two Sneak 'N Snipe characters (one good, one evil) were pretty much unstoppable. There was hardly any challenge at all. Sneak in, and it was: headshot-->dead, headshot-->dead. If I got caught, it was: headshot, headshot--->dead, headshot, torso (to mix it up), headshot-->dead.

I can't really imagine the Sneak 'N Snipe having any problems unless they have overwhelming numbers against me.
Sneak and snipe chars will own in any game. The challenge is to try some other combination. With 30 levels, your char can be proficient in pretty much everything so you can try different attacks, like rush and melee.

so.. i got raped last night in this tunnel on my way to the museum from GNR. I had like, 27 stim packs and idk if it was mines, or grenades or what but i was getting blown up left and right and by the time i got to the museum i had like, 50% hp, no food, no stims!Later on you get a perk that prevents you from setting off booby traps. Until then, you either have to tread lightly when walking through tunnels, or increase the explosives skill (I think that's the one that increases your chances of not setting off booby traps).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-10-2009, 12:02 AM
My guy's Gun & Medic. It works well, but doesn't sound flashy or anything. I'm going to try a sneaky close-combat fighter next time, but I just worried that without medic skills, it'll take ages before sneak gets you close enough undetected to be useful.

And I echo approval at such good news. I've been trying to finish every little bit before I move onto the main missions since I want to do everything. Now I can just play it and download the free-roaming patch :D

darkshadow
Sat, 01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Melee & Explosives > everything.
Really, the only things remotely dangerous are wildlife(yao guai and such), but that gets solved with the animal friend perk. everything else gets stomped on like ants.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Deathclaw can be nasty and i hate fighting super mutant master armed with mini-gun (it's so damn good when the enemy use it).

Animeniax
Sat, 01-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Deathclaw can be nasty and i hate fighting super mutant master armed with mini-gun (it's so damn good when the enemy use it).
I found bottlecap mines make killing Deathclaws easy.

Wait until you fight the mutant behemoth. Those guys makes the super mutant masters look like mere super mutants in comparison. I had Charon following me when I encountered a behemoth. Charon went aggro and got killed.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 01-10-2009, 06:36 AM
I found bottlecap mines make killing Deathclaws easy.

Wait until you fight the mutant behemoth. Those guys makes the super mutant masters look like mere super mutants in comparison. I had Charon following me when I encountered a behemoth. Charon went aggro and got killed.

I've played through the game like 3 times now and the only time that i ever encountered a behemoth is during the story mission at the radio tower. Is there a place where you can find more of them? would be interesting to try and fight some.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I've found two more. There's one in the Capitol Buidling, and another in the middle of a Raider stronghold (the name of which escapes me), but it's between to the Talon Merc military base and the gas station where the Vault is hidden.

I just Fat Man the hell out of them.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I only encountered two: one is trapped at Paradise Falls where the raiders are, and the other I fought is around the Capitol with a bunch of other mutants. The funny thing is that the behemoth kills the other mutants, which makes it easier to enter the building, but less chance to gain XP.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Paradise Falls is the Slaver compound, we were both thinking of Evergreen Mills.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I see. If you check the fallout3 wiki, it says there are 5 total and tells you where to find them.

rockmanj
Sat, 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I remember finding one just out in the wild. I forgot exactly where, And I was travelling extremely light (lincoln repeater, terrible shotgun, grenades and mines). I used up all my ammo fighting that thing, and still didn't kill it. Charon ended up doing the dirty work.

Damn Microsoft, I might just have to get an Xbox for that sweet, sweet content.

Kensee
Tue, 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Did anyone try the little glitch that lets you get another follower if you kill off dogmeat with your own hands? I couldn't do it, he's just been there so long =(

Side note, I started a new character on pc version (my first one was on the PS3), but this time i'm playing on Very Hard and doing a melee character.

Start -----> End (with bobble heads/quest/ it)
8 str -----> 10 str
5 per -----> 6 per
8 end -----> 10 end
1 chr -----> 2 chr
9 agi -----> 10 agi
5 luk -----> 6 luk

I'ma have fun. Shiskebob ftw!

edit: i forgot to put int

4 int -----> 5 int

itadakimasu
Tue, 01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
i finally got a follower last night (sydney) and she doesn't listen when i tell her to stay put... she died so many times and i kept loading up to see if i could keep her alive, having to use most of my stims on her!

darkshadow
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
dude you should never put intelligence at 1, that kills off your growth rate, and you will NEED your points in melee and medicine if you want an effective melee character. just leave intelligence at 5.

Kensee
Tue, 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
dude you should never put intelligence at 1, that kills off your growth rate, and you will NEED your points in melee and medicine if you want an effective melee character. just leave intelligence at 5.

actually i forgot to post the int stat up o.o it was at 4 but in the begining of the game I run to rivit city and get the +1 bobble head to int which gives me 5.

Side note, I edited it in my post now, thanks!

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I encountered a death claw finally at lvl 12 or 13.

i used 10+ stim packs and still got raped. should have started on him w\ minigun or missile launcher instead of my laser rifle.

i'm past 50 hours and still see no end in sight yet.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah like I posted earlier they're a bitch to kill and they do a lot of damage. Those are probably the toughest creatures you have to fight, besides the mutant behemoths. I'd suggest laying mines.

itadakimasu
Wed, 01-21-2009, 04:22 PM
so, idk if i found a loop hole or something. Because i thought you were only allowed 1 follower/party member.

But up until last night I was mobbin. I had a 4 man (3man + 1 dog) party going

I had dogmeat, Red, and Star Paladin Cross. Poor dogmeat bit it during the paradise falls invasion ( RIP dogmeat )

I went from being very evil to good / hero of the wastes

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Quest NPCs, (like Red, the guy with her, or Sydney or the rangers) may not be affected by the party member limit since you kind of have to bring them with you.

But the Dogmeat and other follower? Yup, that's a well known and easily exploited glitch.

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Finished up last night... not sure exact play time but between 60-70 hours
a little anti-climactic. got 2 awesome weapons and then was not able to use them since the game ended.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
What two weapons?

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
gatling laser and the colonels laser pistol ( 73dmg + automatic fire )

Animeniax
Fri, 01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
You didn't pick up Vengeance (special gatling laser) yet? I never got the Colonel's laser pistol.

Marik
Tue, 05-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Fallout 3 DLC Coming to PS3 in June & Two New Packs in the Works

Just over a year ago at E3 2008, Microsoft announced it had secured Xbox 360/PC exclusivity for Fallout 3 downloadable content. Now, three releases down the line, that agreement has come to an end, as Bethesda today announced that all existing--and some all-new forthcoming--Fallout 3 DLC will be making its way to the PlayStation 3. Operation: Anchorage will be the first content pack released on PS3 in June, while The Pitt and Broken Steel will follow at 4-6 week intervals.

Bethesda has also confirmed two more downloadable content packs set for release on all formats. The first, Point Lookout, will release in late June on Xbox 360 and PC and will focus on a new swampland area. The second, Mothership Zeta, promises a 'first hand alien abduction' come late July on the two platforms. Both packs will cost 800 Microsoft Points (£9.99, $9.99), and will make their way to the PS3 once the first three packs have been released.

In addition to the gamut of DLC, Bethesda also has more retail releases for Fallout 3 in the works. Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 is an expansion disc containing both The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage, and will be released for the Xbox 360 and PC on May 26 in North America and June 12 in Europe. The second expansion disc, Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 will include Broken Steel and Point Lookout and will be released in August in both territories.

Finally, Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition will be available in October on either side of the Atlantic, and includes the original game plus all five add-ons for £39.99/$59.99 on Xbox 360 and PS3, and £29.99/$49.99 on PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26885475/fallout-3-dlc-to-hit-playstation-3.html

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Sweet. All gamers should be able to experience the awesomeness that is the Chinese Stealth Armor, the Gauss Rifle, the Auto Axe, and the version of the game that doesn't have a lame ending.

I've got the PC version, so I'm just starting to get into modding. Some of the more subtle changes (not the god mode ones, the game isn't that hard in the first place) add a lot of life to the game. More badass clothing/armor, a few new followers, and vastly improved meshes/textures are well worth it.

Bethesda is happy to get you started if you want to give it a shot.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=45

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Hmmm. Time to finish the game I guess....

I don't know, I mucked around a bit, and since installing RivaTuner, I've had some drops in framerates at certain parts. It was a problem I had before, but I fixed it somehow. Now it's back. I can only think that it's a conflict with settings between R.Tuner and Nvidia Control Panel's 3D settings.

Marik
Wed, 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
"Fallout 3" Collector's Edition for Xbox 360 is the Amazon Gold Box Deal of the Day.

List Price: $79.99
Yesterday's Price: $77.99
Today's Discount: - $31.01
------------------------------------------
Gold Box Price: $46.98 (41% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

All of the lightning deals today will be XBOX 3600 games as well.

Paulyboy
Tue, 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow the deals are actually bad ass, most of them 33% off and $75 off of the wii product and 46 bucks just for the gold box deal for Fallout 3. Glad I got a credit card :). Nice!

rockmanj
Fri, 06-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Fallout 3 DLC Coming to PS3 in June & Two New Packs in the Works

Just over a year ago at E3 2008, Microsoft announced it had secured Xbox 360/PC exclusivity for Fallout 3 downloadable content. Now, three releases down the line, that agreement has come to an end, as Bethesda today announced that all existing--and some all-new forthcoming--Fallout 3 DLC will be making its way to the PlayStation 3. Operation: Anchorage will be the first content pack released on PS3 in June, while The Pitt and Broken Steel will follow at 4-6 week intervals.

Bethesda has also confirmed two more downloadable content packs set for release on all formats. The first, Point Lookout, will release in late a on Xbox 360 and PC and will focus on a new swampland area. The second, Mothership Zeta, promises a 'first hand alien abduction' come late July on the two platforms. Both packs will cost 800 Microsoft Points (£9.99, $9.99), and will make their way to the PS3 once the first three packs have been released.

In addition to the gamut of DLC, Bethesda also has more retail releases for Fallout 3 in the works. Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 is an expansion disc containing both The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage, and will be released for the Xbox 360 and PC on May 26 in North America and June 12 in Europe. The second expansion disc, Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 will include Broken Steel and Point Lookout and will be released in August in both territories.

Finally, Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition will be available in October on either side of the Atlantic, and includes the original game plus all five add-ons for £39.99/$59.99 on Xbox 360 and PS3, and £29.99/$49.99 on PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26885475/fallout-3-dlc-to-hit-playstation-3.html

Oh happy day!!!

Archangel
Thu, 06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
The ending kinda sucked... this game needs a final boss ( lol poor coronel, i was using fat man when he showed up )

I'm gonna restart, this time in evil mode. I'm dying to kill some of those more annoying characters...