PDA

View Full Version : Game: Valkyria Chronicles

Idealistic
Thu, 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/950/950634.html Comes out Nov 4th, which is Tuesday. Lots of praise from reviewers.

Anyways, this is an SRPG.. And since this is an anime forum, I just wanted to point out that the art-style is cel-shade/anime-ish so perhaps some of you might look into this game.

The demo is up on PSN if anyone hasn't tried it.

Can't wait!!!! :D

Paulyboy
Thu, 10-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah I tried it, not bad for a tactics game. You can walk around and use stamina, my favorite class type is the lancers, they are basically like missile launcher type kinda guys. Im getting it for sure. Also anyone get into the Home Beta? I DID!

animus
Thu, 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Preordered it from GameStop, hopefully I still get that art book, though I can really care less since it's prob gonna be like 10 pages of stuff anyways.

RyougaZell
Thu, 10-30-2008, 10:01 AM
The demo is fantastic. A definitive must buy.

animus
Thu, 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Yea I downloaded it too. It was actually pretty gay, the VC demo was on the Europe PSN 2 weeks before it was on the US one, so I had to make an EU account, downloaded and finished it, only to find out that the same day I downloaded the demo it was already out on the US PSN.

RyougaZell
Thu, 10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
LOL
I got it from the European PSN the day it was released. Two weeks before the US PSN.

Heck, even my American account is -fake- since stupid Sony doesn't have Mexico on its list. Assholes.

animus
Thu, 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
It took me like 10 minutes of research so I could find a damn matching city and street, and zipcode because the PSN registration doesn't accept 123 Ass Street London, UK 12345 =(

Xelbair
Thu, 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I tryied demo, and its on my must-buy list... along with Guitar Hero 4(damn expansive -,-), Mirrors Edge, Red Alert 3, Far Cry 2 and some other games.

I really need to set-up Japanese psn account, browsing the menus wont be a problem and i will get to try the games before demo is released in europe.

RyougaZell
Thu, 10-30-2008, 06:06 PM
It took me like 10 minutes of research so I could find a damn matching city and street, and zipcode because the PSN registration doesn't accept 123 Ass Street London, UK 12345 =(

LOL

I used Sherlock Holmes address

221b BAKER STREET

I just had to research the zipcode and voila!

animus
Fri, 11-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh Shiet. Been playing the game some and just met Maximilian the Prince, and he's voiced by Fukuyama Jun. Awesome, and yeah I have the JP dub on. I actually can't remember if the english dub is good or not, for a game like this I'd definitely want the original dub.

Sandldan
Fri, 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh Shiet. Been playing the game some and just met Maximilian the Prince, and he's voiced by Fukuyama Jun. Awesome, and yeah I have the JP dub on. I actually can't remember if the english dub is good or not, for a game like this I'd definitely want the original dub.
Currently playing in english, tried to change it to japanese in the menu but it only said english there. But now when i look on the back it says "Voice in english and japanese" hmm guess i'll have to search a bit more.

So far im really loving this game, nice graphics and story. Just unlocked the Headquarters menu and i was a bit surprised by the cheer amounts of upgrades and customization options available

animus
Fri, 11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Did you change the language from the title menu? You can't change it while in game.

Idealistic
Fri, 11-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I LOOOOOOOOVE THE MUSIC IN THIS GAME.

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 12:23 AM
For those of you who know what Skies of Arcadia are, Vyse, Aika and Fina are characters in the game. First time I saw my first recruit list and saw Vyse and Aika I was like ooooooooh shit.

Idealistic
Sat, 11-08-2008, 01:39 AM
For those of you who know what Skies of Arcadia are, Vyse, Aika and Fina are characters in the game. First time I saw my first recruit list and saw Vyse and Aika I was like ooooooooh shit.

Yeah. I guess Fina is the medic. I didn't realize till someone pointed it out. Thought she was just a random character design.

animus
Sat, 11-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Man, Chapter 7 is kicking my ass. That fucking tanks a walking nuclear fall out shelter.

Idealistic
Wed, 11-12-2008, 02:00 AM
This was to be expected.

http://www.valkyria-anime.com/

2009 though, so I guess a thread for itself shouldn't be made yet.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-12-2008, 04:14 AM
I might check the PSN demo first. I saw it at the shops today, and the cover's gorgeous. Too bad $94 isn't something I should/can just dish out, so I'll see if I like it first.

animus
Wed, 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Woah. $94 USD or AUD? I love the game, it can get quite challenging which is good. It was developed by SegaWOW, which is a combination of WOW entertainment (House of the Dead) and the awesome Overworks (Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star, etc.) It feels like a combination of Fire Emblem and a light shooter.

I hear the sales didn't do to well compared to big hitters like a couple million in the first 24 hours, but it did sell a respectable 200k in Japan, so I hear?

darkshadow
Wed, 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
AUD, and 94AUD is very reasonable, i still need to get the game myself though, lack of time limits me to only play a few games at a time now.

Idealistic
Wed, 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I hear the sales didn't do to well compared to big hitters like a couple million in the first 24 hours, but it did sell a respectable 200k in Japan, so I hear?

Yeah, it did pretty good in Japan I heard. Sega didn't advertise this title much in NA. Then again, JRPGs/SRPGs are sort of a niche nowadays as the new fad are FPS and WRPGs. At least in NA that is.

This game is sold out almost everywhere, but that's most likely due to the fact that each store only got 1-3 copies of the game. I wonder if Sega plans to make more, or is VC going to be one of those hard games to find.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM
94AUD is reasonable, I agree. Maybe it's because new titles like Dead Space and Fallout 3 are going for 79AUD or something that it seems a tad high. Well, I'll still see how I go after the demo. I think I still might end up buying this game just to own the case :D

Idealistic
Sat, 11-15-2008, 03:29 AM
I just beat the game, and I don't really want to spoil anything, so I'll just link to a post I wrote about the game overall because I don't think this forum has the hide spoilers feature.

My review here (http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5748221&postcount=59)

Marik
Tue, 09-08-2009, 03:52 AM
New DLC Coming

Sega announced today that, come next year, Valkyria Chronicles owners will be able to dust off their copy of the game and play through some new content.

A brief statement issued by Sega's PR said "Today, Sega announces new downloadable content for Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. 'Challenges from Team Edy' will test your strategy skills in all new missions! The DLC content will be available Winter 2010.".

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/07/more-valkyria-chronicles-dlc-coming-winter-2010/

RyougaZell
Tue, 09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
I wish they did more side-story DLC like Edy's or Selvaria's. This 'challenges' aren't really worth it. No new maps. Just more enemies positioned diferently. Bleh.

I saw a video of one when they were just released. The game made you win in 2 rounds against 20 enemies. You had to shot two or three at the same time, and not with the flamethrower... but regular weapons, to manage. It did looked challenging... but it wasn't enough to guarantee a buy for me. I never bought the Hard EX Mode either. Just Edy and Selvaria's side stories.

Idealistic
Thu, 09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I misunderstood the Hard EX mode and bought it. I thought you would be able to replay the story mode on a harder difficulty. And when I think of harder difficulty, I don't think of just adding a ton of enemies, but actually make the AI smarter. Just adding more enemies and positioning them differently doesn't make it fun. Just makes it tedious and annoying trying to figure out exactly where to run to and such.

Sega's been known to do this..... instead of making AI smarter, they just add a ton more enemies on the screen.

The other DLC were fun and worth it though imo.

Hopefully these upcoming ones will be just as fun.