PDA

View Full Version : Gundam 00 Season 2 Episode 04

Marik
Sun, 10-26-2008, 02:40 PM
[gSS]​_Gundam​_00​_S2​_-​_04​_[713DDE9A].mkv (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BgSS%5D_Gundam_00_S2_-_04_%5B713DDE9A%5D.mkv.torrent)

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM
really good episode. sumeragi extra small uniform fan service. Billy Katagiri has some balls after all, and Graham is back in action. Soma laced Allelujah up pretty good... guess he's going soft now that he knows who's piloting against him...

Meestah Bushido!!! Now that, folks, is a crappy alias to choose.

Also, credit the A-LAWS guy for coming up with a decent strategy to pin CB under the sea, but not deploying any mobile suits to protect the carrier? Do you want to die?

Carnage
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Mr. Bushido? He's fucking American! What the fuck is this shit?

DDBen
Sun, 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Mr Bushido I'm pretty sure they couldn't have managed a worse name for him then that. Otherwise a decent episode.

Kraco
Sun, 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think Graham was ever any master of subtle imagination, so lets give him a break. Besides, considering he got into action this early, I've a feeling he's there just to keep things warm until the real badass, Ali, makes an appearance.

A fine episode. The A-LAWS just give an image of being led by people with lots of theoretical knowledge but less practical, considering how they design a good plan and then expect everything will go exactly according to that plan. Everybody knows that only works in really asymmetrical warfare, but Gundams, if anything, make the asymmetry to favour the CB, not the A-LAWS. Still, I guess they will learn, or at least I hope so to keep things interesting.

Carnage
Sun, 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't think Graham was ever any master of subtle imagination, so lets give him a break.

Give him a break? Just fucking look at his mobile suit! It's a fucking samurai!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
After that encounter, Lyle's not such an ass after all. He may even be likable, though never replace our dead cowboy. Sumeragi back with confidence is a good sign, though with Billy joining the A-LAWS development crew, it unfortunately hints there'll be more of an arms race than it already is.

Allelujah suck now without Hal. Just as they said, he's too slow, and his only edge in S1 that was his GN drive is gone. I bet you that he'll suffer a head injury in the finale and whip out another Al/Hal combo, which I'm dying to see again.

What was the point of Louis going to the bridge?

Edit: Black&White flashback of Al gives credit again to Ryll's observation for Soma's yellow eyes. Maybe she'll come round with stunning sapphire ones? Kind of hard to imagine, but anyhow. We'll know that when she stops calling him E-57.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-26-2008, 10:45 PM
It's worse than that. There was a clear financier of A-LAWS when they mentioned a woman donated a huge sum of money to develop the Triobite. That has Wang Liu Mei all over it. She's financing and giving info to both sides, so she only wants absolute destruction. Even Ali and Graham (dumbest alias ever) only care about fighting, and the two of them are only concerned with creating just enough strife to bring forth good opponents. Wang Liu Mei is far more dangerous, particularly because she has the bloodthirsty Nena under her care.

I still like that despite how overpowered the Gundams are, the Meisters still all suck at actually piloting them, so they can get owned by any other mobile suit with decent specs and a skilled pilot.

One thing that really pissed me off about this episode was how Kati Mannequin got demoted for her failure at the prison. That fat fuck that demoted her already failed TWICE against the Gundams in space. Somehow, he's higher ranked that an officer/strategist who had more sucess against Celestial Being than anyone else, including Sergei. They even hinted at her vaguely remembering the style of the attack on the prison. She is not too far off from recognizing that Sumeragi is CB's strategist from her command style. Yet the fat fuck is higher ranked that Kati, and it doesn't matter how many times he fails. A-LAWS and the Federation is surely as corrupt as they come, a dead weight organization where politics beats out on actual ability and accomplishments...feels just like home.

It looks like Louise will begin her own bloodthirsty role next episode. I wonder if Saji would take her back now...

I was impressed with Lyle's rough yet necessary rebuke of Feldt. She was being blinded by his appearance, and Lyle had every right to be displeased about that, even if it is Feldt. Loved Sumeragi's uniform, it totally fit perfectly.

DDBen
Mon, 10-27-2008, 12:47 AM
It's worse than that. There was a clear financier of A-LAWS when they mentioned a woman donated a huge sum of money to develop the Triobite. That has Wang Liu Mei all over it. She's financing and giving info to both sides, so she only wants absolute destruction. Even Ali and Graham (dumbest alias ever) only care about fighting, and the two of them are only concerned with creating just enough strife to bring forth good opponents. Wang Liu Mei is far more dangerous, particularly because she has the bloodthirsty Nena under her care.

While this was stated I think your completely wrong in crediting it to Wang Liu Mei. It was pretty clear to me this referenced Louise Harvey instead.

The comment is made at 8:58 and in the next scene they specifically show Louise as of 9:00 after stating "There are curious people out there."

Remember Louise had a very rich family and she's the only survivor so she would have both the money AND the reason to donate a large amount of money. It also cleanly explains how she got into A Laws despite being incompetent in battle.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 10-27-2008, 03:01 AM
We have Marie to thank for Allelujah ridiculous name.

Somewhere in the Gundam time line, Red Comet had evolved in Mr. Bushido. It's good to know that Graham decided to skip the stupid fake name and went straight for stupid alias.

I have to agree with Ryllharu, those 2 A-Laws officers are too damn arrogant. They attacked the Gundams with only one mobile armor and no other suit out for protection. I really hope both of those fuckers die soon so i don't have to see them anymore.

Shirin is living up to her role as Marina mentor/big sister figure. Lyle seems to have a lot of issue about being compared to his brother, it's nice to see that he is training in order to improve his aiming.

The whole donation thing just scream Wang Liu Mei in my opinion, but i won't deny the possibility of it coming from Louise.

I can't shake the feeling that Wang Liu Mei is directly related (not necessarily by blood) to Aeolia Shenberg somehow. It just seems like she knows too much to just be some 3rd party. Ribbon might act high and mighty, but it doesn't seems like he knows as much as he would like. He had no idea about the twin-drive system while I'm more than certain Wang Liu Mei was already aware of it at that point. What delicious irony would it be if Wang Liu Mei end up using Ribbon the same way he used Alejandro.

The way things are right now, i wouldn't be surprised if everything that happened so far was according to her plan. She seem to be manipulating both the Gundams and Ribbons in order to carry out her own agenda.

Oh and Mr. Bushido, lol

What a cringe worthy name.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
upon watching the subs, i enjoyed it even more. i couldn't get all the nuances to Allelujah's and Sumeragi's conversation before (and a few other scenes), and I liked how they did that. If it wasn't so clear that they're trying to set up Allelujah and Soma, I'd say that the most interesting potential love story in this show is between Sumeragi and Al. But I guess they're probably just going to stay friends.

Something about the GN field really bugged me in this episode. So they have this super awesome technology which can create a defense around their ship. Now, all they ever do is 'expand' the GN Field to max power, for everything.

My question is: What do you need max power in the GN field covering your rear when you're trying to defend against torpedo attacks coming from the front? Are you telling me they can't focus the GN Field, can't even direct it? Somehow, I really don't buy it. Silly oversight.

Mister Bushido is still a horribly gay name for an awesome character.

Loved the explanation the A-LAWS search-and-destroy Major put in about CB's current state. Acting on personal feelings indeed...

One thing that struck me as strange in the RAW was even more pronounced when I watched the subs, and that was the part where Setsuna orders Ian to "set a course for Azadistan". Now, what bothered me upon first watching was that Ian and the other dude just immediately said, "Roger that, heading to the bridge (to carry out your orders)." And, sure, maybe Ian personally agrees with Setsuna, so he has no problem doing that. What bugs me more, though, is that Tieria is right there when this is done. He even puts in a questioning "Setsuna?" But right then Ian voices his agreement and goes off to carry out that order. So what bugs me is why the pilot who came back just a little while ago is giving orders (and having them obeyed) when the pilot who was the lone one to stick around for all these years doesn't even get to voice his opinion. In short: main character credentials have catapulted Setsuna to the top of the CB hierarchy. And I think that's some mother fucking bullshit.

A technical note of interest: it's cool that Wang Liu Mei funded a GN drive based underwater mobile armor (I believe it was her too, but, yeah, the cut to Louise really hints that it was her... but, still, it just smells like Wang Liu Mei, doens't it?), but what really caught my attention were those torpedoes that cut right through the Ptolemy's GN Field. Fuck underwater units. Mass produce those mother fucking missles and put them on everything you have.

Another technical note: the Trilobyte's arms could pierce the armor of the Ptolemy, but couldn't dent Tieria's Gundam. Sure, they didn't have the momentum when they were attacking him, but, damn, seriously...

A tactical note of interest: if you have one shot to take a direct attack on an unguarded, basically immobilized enemy ship, please, please, please, for the love of God and everything that's holy, aim that shot at their mother fucking bridge. The bridge, people. The bridge. That's it. That's all you need to do. That's it. That's the end. No bridge, no ship. It's that simple. Mother fucking son of Christ, it's that simple. Aim for the goddamn bridge. The bridge. The thing at the front. Shoot it. Ram it. Fucking destroy it. The thing that looks like a head. The head! Shoot 'em in the head. Shoot 'em in the HEAD!!!! (also, Kingdom Hearts sucks) (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8G8delDlk)

A final technical note: as Mannequin noted early on "high humidity lowers the effectiveness of particle weapons". Now, in light of that, when they're suddenly fighting underwater, which I believe is 100% humidity, how the hell are there any beam weapons firing at all? Are they just super useless pretty lights down there? (I guess Lockon's shots were pretty useless...)

And a note on ranks. I thought that it was clear that Mannequin hasn't been part of A-LAWS as long as the fat blond guy. So while military rank is one thing, keep in mind that the fat blond and even Lindt are probably more senior member of A-LAWS.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-27-2008, 08:45 AM
A tactical note of interest: if you have one shot to take a direct attack on an unguarded, basically immobilized enemy ship, please, please, please, for the love of God and everything that's holy, aim that shot at their mother fucking bridge. The bridge, people. The bridge. That's it. That's all you need to do. That's it. That's the end. No bridge, no ship. It's that simple. Mother fucking son of Christ, it's that simple. Aim for the goddamn bridge. The bridge. The thing at the front. Shoot it. Ram it. Fucking destroy it. The thing that looks like a head. The head! Shoot 'em in the head. Shoot 'em in the HEAD!!!! (also, Kingdom Hearts sucks) (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8G8delDlk)

00 did go straight for the bridge after giving them the Gundam stare.

DDBen's theory makes perfect sense. If only the music being played didn't sound like Wang Liu Mei's theme or whatever, I would have completely bought it.

I can't remember the details of what exactly makes one a super soldier, but I'm starting to think a knock to the head killing Hal and disabling his quantum brain waves is stupid. Hal was meant to help him cope with the brain waves, and he only needed to come out when Al was a softie, or when Soma played mindfuck. If memory serves correctly, super soldiers have nanomachines in their blood that go around maintaining peak body condition, including the brain - and that's what lets them function with such heightened reflexes.

Meh, I'm probably just cut my favourite meisters (Al/Hal and Lockon) are the two weakest members right now. Al's just a normal guy in a fast suit he can't handle, and Lockon's down to a 78% hit rate, kinda poor compared to Neil.)

Mr Bushido...so what, Ace Graham was KIA? Losing to a Gundam was such a disgrace he had to tell the world he's dead and live as a masked man with a stupid alias? That's....kind of lame IMO.

The trilobite itself was nothing new, just a weak version of Corner's golden toy.

Kraco
Mon, 10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
In short: main character credentials have catapulted Setsuna to the top of the CB hierarchy. And I think that's some mother fucking bullshit.

Maybe it was more like the others aboard think Marina is Setsuna's responsibility as he rescued her outside of the original plan. Thus he calls the shots as to what to do about her, that is, how to get rid of her. With the original plan or at least the original structure of the CB somewhat lost I think all the pilots are now basically the bosses, and so Setsuna's order could be considered the common policy (to remove Marina from the ship).

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Maybe it was more like the others aboard think Marina is Setsuna's responsibility as he rescued her outside of the original plan. Thus he calls the shots as to what to do about her, that is, how to get rid of her.

Dude, that's fine logic and all, but it still doesn't address the fact that Setsuna's orders are suddenly absolute on the ship (until Sumeragi gets back into uniform, at least). And it doesn't make sense that Tieria doesn't even get to weigh in on things before people go about acknowledging Setsuna's orders.

How does Setsuna going out of his way by actualizing a secondary mission objective suddenly dictate what everyone else has to do? Because, if that's so, then why the hell doesn't new Lockon go, "Yo, folks, we're teaming up with Kataron because I helped them out last time!" or Allelujah go, "Don't shoot at the mobile suit with my amnesiac crush in it. Actually, let's go rescue her!" And if they did, would you expect everyone to just snap to it the way people did for Setsuna's little personal request?

He rescued Saji, and that led to zero consequences. It's clearly all about who is main character, who is main character's love interest. Trying to build logical reasoning on that is like building a house on wet sand.

hitokiriender
Mon, 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
A final technical note: as Mannequin noted early on "high humidity lowers the effectiveness of particle weapons". Now, in light of that, when they're suddenly fighting underwater, which I believe is 100% humidity, how the hell are there any beam weapons firing at all? Are they just super useless pretty lights down there? (I guess Lockon's shots were pretty useless...)

I think that is why they are 'developing a new underwater mobile suit' plus it is another reason why Tieria/Al didn't blast the hell out of it after he pushed it away and they let Setsuna take the head count.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I think that is why they are 'developing a new underwater mobile suit' plus it is another reason why Tieria/Al didn't blast the hell out of it after he pushed it away and they let Setsuna take the head count.

That and the fact Lockon probably had the most powerful, yet narrow beam shot, making it the only gun to do anything besides flash. It was also used at near point blank range. Like masa said though, it did little more than rock their boat.

Dude, that's fine logic and all, but it still doesn't address the fact that Setsuna's orders are suddenly absolute on the ship (until Sumeragi gets back into uniform, at least). And it doesn't make sense that Tieria doesn't even get to weigh in on things before people go about acknowledging Setsuna's orders.

How does Setsuna going out of his way by actualizing a secondary mission objective suddenly dictate what everyone else has to do? Because, if that's so, then why the hell doesn't new Lockon go, "Yo, folks, we're teaming up with Kataron because I helped them out last time!" or Allelujah go, "Don't shoot at the mobile suit with my amnesiac crush in it. Actually, let's go rescue her!" And if they did, would you expect everyone to just snap to it the way people did for Setsuna's little personal request?

He rescued Saji, and that led to zero consequences. It's clearly all about who is main character, who is main character's love interest. Trying to build logical reasoning on that is like building a house on wet sand.

This can tie in with how Tieria asked Setsuna on whether or not to rescue Marina. I guess it was Setsuna's call since he's the only one with any connections. I'm sitting on the fence between masa and Kraco's points personally.

edit: After rewatching, it really does feel like Setsuna has absolute authority. If we didn't know the crew better, I would have thought Ian ignored Tieria on purpose.

Kraco
Mon, 10-27-2008, 10:11 AM

While snapping to Setsuna's command without analysing risks at all was somewhat odd, just dropping off one girl somewhere is hardly equivalent to forming alliances with another faction or trying to "rescue" an enemy elite pilot.

Think of this like you have been drinking with a couple of buddies, all of you living in the same general direction from the bar, and you agree to take one taxi home. However, one of you suddenly brings his girl with him (that you know but didn't expect to be there) and tells you she will be joining as well, and you will drop her off to her place on your way home. It's a slightly aggressive stance but I don't see why you would argue too much against it.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
While snapping to Setsuna's command without analysing risks at all was somewhat odd, just dropping off one girl somewhere is hardly equivalent to forming alliances with another faction or trying to "rescue" an enemy elite pilot.

Think of this like you have been drinking with a couple of buddies, all of you living in the same general direction from the bar, and you agree to take one taxi home. However, one of you suddenly brings his girl with him (that you know but didn't expect to be there) and tells you she will be joining as well, and you will drop her off to her place on your way home. It's a slightly aggressive stance but I don't see why you would argue too much against it.

But the thing is, a second ago, they'd be discussing a group of thugs would be camping on her doorstep, and offered her to stay at someone's place overnight instead. She insists she wants to go home, and one guy says "Okay, let's do it".

(Note, these are like Mafia thugs)

Dark Dragon
Mon, 10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
From my perspective, this is how the scene when Setsuna decide that they can take Marina back played out.

Setsuna did something out of character by showing some sympathy for someone other than Gundam.

Tiera comment was more of a surprised reaction to Setsuna unusual behavior rather than a disagreement.

Ian gave like a fatherly/elderly understanding to Setsuna request and goes off to prepare and his daughter follow his lead.

I think everyone just kinda agreed that Setsuna will be the one to decide what to do about Marina. It's not like they can just keep her there against her will or just randomly drop her somewhere.

Edit: The way Setsuna phrased his decision might make it sound more like a command rather than a request, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Edit: The way Setsuna phrased his decision might make it sound more like a command rather than a request, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

It's worth mentioning that the way Ian responded was also more like acknowledging a command.

You can really see the difference between "Yoshi, Azadistan it is" and "Ryoukai(?), Setsuna"

Gunslinger_BlaQ
Mon, 10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Mr. Bushido... yeah... umm... on the up side, it makes the look of his mask and odd variant A-LAWS uniform make more sense. It does, in fact, resemble the sort of demon mask worn by traditional Samurai... and the outfit, as mentioned by someone in an earlier thread, has a weird "shogun" feel to it... hence, the Samurai reference in his... absurd alias...

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
i'm almost sorry i raised the point about Setsuna being de-facto boss guy all of a sudden because of his main character penor.

after all, Sumeragi is officially back in CB now, so chances are she'll be the big boss again, (and below her?). I don't see her dying off for a long time. In fact, I don't think they have the guts to kill her off at all.

But it just annoys me when stuff like that happens and we're not supposed to bat an eyelash. Although, I do think David's the closest to right, and that Tieria's small comment was just surprise at Setsuna's decision, not disagreement with it... Still, the acknowledgment of his 'request/order' still begs the question of, if anything did happen to Sumeragi, who'd be calling the shots...

Yukimura
Mon, 10-27-2008, 03:05 PM
@masa: Apparently Setsuna would, when you look back at ep 2 it was Setsuna who recruited Lyle and retrieved Sumeragi. The others had 4 years to do that but they didn't. As soon as Setsuna returned all of a sudden he was the one getting the band back together and then risking their newest unproven suit (and 2 of the 5 original GN drives) on nothing more than his hunch it would work and the fact that they were desperate. The conclusion I drew from this is CB is full of followers and without Veda they have been looking for direction and purpose (I would think this is especially true for Tieria who used to live and die by his precious Veda). Since they have no real plan or intermediate goals of their own they'd probably follow anyone who gave a suggestion that they don't find immediately offensive (like "Let's turn over all our Gundam Tech to A-LAWS").

I think Setsuna's return and his determination to take action against A-LAWS has given the rest of the crew a purpose and so they were willing to do what he thought they should, not because they take orders from him but because they don't have anything better to do and they don't disagree with his idea.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I have to back Yuki on this, Setsuna came back from the nether regions of space and took leadership of Celestial Being. Sumeragi has resumed her position as tactical leader, but Setsuna has been the driving force behind CB since their resurgence.

After Alejandro and Ribbons turned on CB, and Schernberg gave them the Trans-Am, Setsuna has known exactly what he wants to do with the world. He didn't stop fighting in the five years since he drifted towards space, and he's been the one to bring CB back to their old glory. He went to recruit Lyle, he tracked down Sumeragi and ensured she couldn't, "hide anymore."

I think that Tieria, equally lost in what to do now, has stoicly agreed that Setsuna knows precisely what he wants to see CB do. So he doesn't really have any complaints now that Setsuna is authoritative and determined, instead of being little more than a jihadist inside a mobile suit. As contrived as it is, Setsuna has become the warrior of God that he always dreamed of being, someone finally capable of bringing an end to the fighting, by force.

Everyone else is just lollygagging around. If no one else will take charge, Setsuna might as well. At least he knows what he wants.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Everyone else is just lollygagging around. If no one else will take charge, Setsuna might as well. At least he knows what he wants.

About this line.

When Ian talked about his colleagues having a reason to fight, Tieria was the only meister not mentioned. To date, we still haven't heard any backstory about him. We kind of accepted that he's in CB because he can link up with Veda. (and mostly because he's the one who questions others for being in CB). Regardless of his initial purpose, I dare say he now inherited his will to fight from Lockon.

The OP (life pods) hints that his kind were probably created for some purpose in Aeolia Schenberg's plan, while the ED (shooting the mirror) looks like he'll sacrifice himself to take down his fellow androids once and for all.

kenren
Mon, 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Mr.Bushido's helmet has horns O_O. The part where both Marina and Setsuna answered "No we aren't" when they were asked if they are lovers, I didn't expect Marina to give such a strict answer lol.

Kraco
Tue, 10-28-2008, 02:54 AM
The part where both Marina and Setsuna answered "No we aren't" when they were asked if they are lovers, I didn't expect Marina to give such a strict answer lol.

The scene would have been much funnier if Setsuna had instead answered: "Yes, we are" with just as serious an expression and voice, while Marina would have still given this negative answer. But of course that could have never happened; Setsuna has no sense of humour, after all.

Xyches
Tue, 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Allelujah suck now without Hal. Just as they said, he's too slow, and his only edge in S1 that was his GN drive is gone. I bet you that he'll suffer a head injury in the finale and whip out another Al/Hal combo, which I'm dying to see again.

When did they say he lost his GN Drive? Doesn't he have to have one to use the Trans-AM System?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
When did they say he lost his GN Drive? Doesn't he have to have one to use the Trans-AM System?

I meant his edge that was the GN Drive (ie when he had the Kyrios against regular mob suits). Now it's Jupiter made Gundams vs Earth Fake GN suits. The difference in performance isn't exactly there anymore. Of course, now his only edge is Trans Am, and that's a double edged sword in itself. Gotta say, balance is good.

Which reminds me that since Eifman died, they haven't touched the Jupiter concept at all, or Aeolia's "true intention", whatever Eifman thought it was. I bet Billy will pick up where he left off and find something though. He's a determined kid.

kenren
Wed, 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
The scene would have been much funnier if Setsuna had instead answered: "Yes, we are" with just as serious an expression and voice, while Marina would have still given this negative answer. But of course that could have never happened; Setsuna has no sense of humour, after all.

I imagined it and it's freaking funny XD

animus
Thu, 10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Sunrise sure likes to hype Japanese quips for no apparent reason. Graham was the guy you'd imagine furthest from changing to a Japanophile. I guess Sunrise just wanted to go a different route from the Masquerade-western mask wearers to an eastern Oni mask.

And if I recall correctly, isn't Mr Bushido what Vivi called Zoro in One Piece?

Psyke
Fri, 10-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Mr. Bushido is a rip off from Mr. Karate from AOF.