PDA

View Full Version : Ga-Rei Zero

Yukimura
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:19 AM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1560/gareizeroud0.jpg

Plot Summary: The Japanese Ministry of Defense has an anti-paranormal special forces group called the Supernatural Disaster Prevention Agency. They're the ones responsible to protect Japanese soil and its people from supernatural and paranormal events. However, things didn't go so well in one of their missions, which leads to intervention by the Ministry of Enviroment's Supernatural Disaster Countermeasures Division after the SDPO has sustained large numbers of casualties battling demons.

Genre: Action, Supernaural
ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10052)

AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6113)

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [AnimeYoshi] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_01_%5B991B5F05%5D.mkv.torrent)

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [Aero] (http://www.datorrents.com/download/40128-ga-rei-zero-01-h264-aero-mkv/)
Ga-Rei Zero - 02 (H264) - [Aero] (http://www.datorrents.com/download/40273-ga-rei-zero-02-h264-848x480-aero-mkv/)

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (Xvid) - [sMi] (http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=14978)

Ga-Rei Zero - 01 (H264) - [sMi] (http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=14977)

Ga-Rei Zero - 02 (H264) - [sMi] (http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=15309)

I must say this beginning of this show is definitely not like beginning of most action shows. The action is plenty cool but it's got a good deal more grit than usual and I think it makes good use of it. Only two episodes in and I'm pretty much hooked, I just hope they don't fall off the wagon they've created in the first two eps and start going more mainstream as the show wears on.

KitKat
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I watched the first ep, and I thought it was ok, but didn't really get into it. I'm not sure what it was.....I couldn't really bring myself to care about the characters. There are enough interesting shows this season that I think I might give this one a miss, unless I hear from you guys that it becomes really awesome in later episodes.

Pandadice
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:40 AM
awman, i was on here earlier and didn't see a thread for this show. I almost made one, but I didn't have the time to copy/paste everything into a total info thread.

I've watched the first two episodes, and I'm enjoying it so far.

As for the first episode, I had a few complaints, and some things were borderline-ridiculous. But the ending was amazing. The second episode I'd say was just as good.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-17-2008, 09:21 AM
the first episode was pretty unimpressive, standard 'anime Ghost-busters' stuff for the first 18 minutes

then it was suddenly very awesome. holy hell. not what i expected at all from a first episode.

the fact that i have no idea what episode 2 will be like makes me crave it for immediate viewage. but if the show is only like the first 18 minutes for most of the time, it won't be much more than another 'meh, okay' supernatural action anime.

I do love the idea of putting holy seals on the wheels of a motorcycle though.

Characters and their storylines are almost all "haven't I seen this somewhere else before?" bores. But, man, that ending...

episode 02 will tell me more, i hope.

digitalrurouni
Sat, 10-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Episode 1 and 2 were excellent. There's even an uncensored version of Ep1 released by Aero subs. Cant wait for Ep3!

Pandadice
Sun, 10-19-2008, 12:22 AM
hey, have you watched the uncensored one? I haven't gotten it because I don't nkow what it is exactly. I don't know what exactly would be "uncensored". It didn't seem like they censored blood or anything in the episode I watched. so yeah, I haven't gotten it, but if you have/do, could you tell me what all is different?

digitalrurouni
Sun, 10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Its got a bit more gore in it is all. I am personally against censorship so for me thats the way to go.

Pandadice
Sun, 10-19-2008, 02:40 PM
meh. I'm against censorship as well, but if I have to wait a week just to see some more gore, I'm not gonna bother. thanks for telling me though.

digitalrurouni
Sun, 10-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I dunno what you mean have to wait another week :) I just download the first release and then swap it with an updated releases if they release one.

Idealistic
Tue, 10-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Hmmm.. The first episode was pretty cool. I haven't seen too many supernatural/shooter type animes so this one was pretty interesting. But then the ending is like wtf?

As for episode 2...... Even more wtf?!? All of a sudden it's about schoolgirls with swords now?

Ugh.... Somebody enlighten me on what's going on.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-21-2008, 07:37 AM
edit - Aero - Ga-Rei Zero - Episode 03 - h264-848x480 mkv (http://www.datorrents.com/download/40559-ga-rei-zero-03-h264-848x480-aero-mkv/)

response to above:
basically the girl who killed the squad in the first episode is the same girl who does all the killing in episode 2. (i think). She's the girl in the flashback in episode 1 who is screaming at the gunslinger to kill his girlfriend (Aoi). This would match with what the Head of the Environmental Agency says in episode 2, that she was once one of their members.

She appears in the flashbacks in episode 1, but the group in episode 2 is who she's connected with the most. She's the older sister of the other school girl (who she kills at the end) and she was engaged to the guy with the ferrets. She might have been part of that squad, from the expression of recognition on everyone's face when she appeared.

So, yeah, the question would be, for me, if Aoi is still alive or not?

edit yet again - well, episode 3 answered a shit ton of questions. (i was slightly wrong on some points in my above explanation) It was entirely different from the first two episodes, but i still enjoyed it.

Although, now I wonder... if they chose to flashback from that moment, I can't help but think that Kagura isn't dead after all. I mean, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to start a show off with one main character killing the other and then flashbacking... would it? Would it?

Also, plane crash guy is the white haired devil's father? Wonder if he'll get a flashback? Maybe this show will just keep going in reverse until we get the origin? Clearly, this episode 3 has thrown me for a loop, because I have no idea what to expect.

Finally, one thing I love about this show is that there's no OP. Nothing given away by stupid music videos, and we slide right into the show. There's also nothing ever shown at the end, just the title of the next episode, which I think is great. A truly good show doesn't need some cheesy teaser preview that'll spoil 20% of the next episode just to make sure people show up to watch it.

Psyke
Wed, 10-22-2008, 02:04 AM
As for episode 2...... Even more wtf?!? All of a sudden it's about schoolgirls with swords now?

I was interested in starting with this series, till I hear about the school girls with swords. :(

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 10-22-2008, 03:40 AM
I am loving this series so far. The animation is just beautiful and the action is quite nice. And main characters die in like every show! How cool is that?

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-23-2008, 02:29 PM
I was interested in starting with this series, till I hear about the school girls with swords. :(

lol yeah... I thought it's something like the game Jericho.. description wise.
with less "horror" of course.
Hmmmm, but I think I'll still download it to see what it's like

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Well the random killing stops after episode 2. 3 and beyond go back in time to explain WHY this stuff happened. I'm watching this, even if it's just to find out how a really close sister relationship between the girls turned out into the "I fucking hate you" scene in ep2.

Idealistic
Fri, 10-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Well the random killing stops after episode 2. 3 and beyond go back in time to explain WHY this stuff happened. I'm watching this, even if it's just to find out how a really close sister relationship between the girls turned out into the "I fucking hate you" scene in ep2.

Yeah, I'll probably stick to this because I want to find out too. But man... what a total let down. The first episode looked so promising, a group of ghostbusters with guns and all that cool stuff. Those characters in ep 1 were pretty cool too. It sucks they aren't the main characters because it seems like the rest of the show is just going to focus on the sister's relationship and we'll probably see the characters from ep 1 here and there.

It's like the whole scenery/theme just completely changed come episode 2/3 with the inclusion of school girls and swords. I guess what I was hoping for was a more serious and darker series.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-24-2008, 07:43 AM
i still think it's pretty darn serious. and i can't imagine it won't be dark and gory either... sure, there are school girls now, but their relationship so far has been very realistic. i like that even the comical or light hearted moments come with a tinge of sadness. it's not like some of the slapstick / absurd humor you see in other shows. the interactions are rather genuinely human, and i really dig that.

i'm actually very glad this isn't about ghost busters with cool weapons. that shit is a dime a dozen these days. the development of the characters leading up to the events of the first two episodes is fine material for a series, at least in my book. there's plenty they can do there, and i don't think they'll throw away the action or the gore.

KrayZ33
Fri, 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmmm didn't like the first episode and deleted it... it was pretty cool at first and reminded me of the Final Fantasy movie, which was really cool

but when the motorcycle woman appeared with that guy on the back I started to lose interest pretty fast (especially when she "fought" with that bike). Maybe I decided to rashly (since I didn't even watch it till the end) but I don't like it so muchI think it's simply not my type of anime.

maybe I'll pick this up a lot later when the whole batch is avaible and the comments remain positive.

Inazuma
Fri, 10-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Go back to Love Hina then. It's an action packed anime, like Macross Zero mixed with blood+.

You like it or you dont.

Pandadice
Sat, 10-25-2008, 01:47 AM
but when the motorcycle woman appeared with that guy on the back I started to lose interest pretty fast (especially when she "fought" with that bike). Maybe I decided to rashly (since I didn't even watch it till the end) but I don't like it so muchI think it's simply not my type of anime.

dude, I completely agree with the motorcycle thing and all. But you really have to watch to the end. When I watched the first episode, I thought it was okay, nothing great, and wasn't really that interested, right up until the last few minutes or whatever, when it gets crazy interesting. the ending left me breathless and thirsting for more. which, was more than enough to get me watching the series and anticipating the weekly episode releases.

animus
Sat, 10-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Is this based on the manga Ga-Rei? If so, the plots sound completely different.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Is this based on the manga Ga-Rei? If so, the plots sound completely different.

Ga-Rei Zero shares the same basic name as the Ga-Rei manga, but it won’t be following the same story. So instead of two high school kids fighting evil spirits for a government agency, this will chronicle an older special forces unit that’s fighting evil spirits for a government agency. It looks to be a lot darker and grittier than the manga as well, though I find the anime version’s character designs still pretty appealing. Also, for better or worse, this is being produced by asread in conjunction with AIC Spirits and has a lot of the SHUFFLE! staff on it, so I’m not quite sure what to expect.

-Courtesy of randomc.animeblogger.net

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Go back to Love Hina then. It's an action packed anime, like Macross Zero mixed with blood+.

You like it or you dont.

Uh... ya right. It's not that I don't like action animes btw. It's just that "bike fighting" and a guy who stands on the back shooting with 2 pistoles on a 20 metres tall monster make my eyes bleed in an instant. (even more than most of the naruto fillers)

but as I said I might have decided too quickly about this
I thought it's another wnb horror anime at first but if the ending is really so different, then I redownload it :P

Idealistic
Tue, 10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Well, ep 4 was ok I guess. Yomi and Kagura kissing was very :D . lol at all the different weapons they had. I get the feeling Yomi became jealous of Kagura. Probably why she turned.

Ok, I know why I don't like guns and swords mixing in animes. Because the gun user is always weak and slow, while the sword user is always fast with super flashing attacks and special powers.

And because, when the 2 mix, this is what should happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLIOtBLqoU

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-28-2008, 03:28 AM
The link to said ep:

Ga-Rei: Zero - 04 Aero Subs.mkv (http://www.datorrents.com/download/40751-ga-rei-zero-04-h264-848x480-aero-mkv/)
----------------------------------------------
Dark and gritty main cast killing left behind for now, it looks like we've moved back to the more generic spirit purifying mission episodes. As if to announce that, they even put in the OP this time, which I have to say I do like. Still, the first few episodes were done well enough that I'll be sticking with this just to see how they end up there. They mentioned today that all this sparks from a single thought of hatred, which would probably be Yomi's trigger too. From episode two, she already acknowledges that she's jealous of Kagura's talent. I can't say for sure looking at the second ep, but Yomi's fiance may also play a part, since he seems quite caring towards Kagura, even if you take into account chivalry that that she's his would-be-sister-in-law.

Then you have YomiXKagura...do I need a better reason to watch this? :D

And the big guy's gay. That's awesome :)

digitalrurouni
Fri, 10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah I am the same way. The impact this anime had when it started out was pretty good but now its a bit generic...but I think the next episode will probably pick it up and get more and more into the characters' backstories. Looks interesting. Will definitely follow this one for sure.

Yukimura
Fri, 10-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Kagura x Yomi doujins are needed immediately!!!

Anyway, I'm guessing we're permanently or at least semi-permanently back in time now and we'll get to see how everyone got to where they were in episode 1. While it feels a little like a bait and switch I have to commend the producers for using the first two eps asking us wtf? and then jumping back and explaining once we're already hooked in. Hopefully they tell an interesting enough story that we'll want to keep watching till the end.

Pandadice
Tue, 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM
hey, episode 5 is out.

episode 5 torrent MKV (http://www.datorrents.com/download/40933-ga-rei-zero-05-h264-848x480-aero-mkv/)

I've just downloaded it, and am going to watch it now.

digitalrurouni
Tue, 11-04-2008, 09:10 PM
This episode was ok but barely.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-04-2008, 11:20 PM
[Nipponsei] Ga-Rei Zero OP Single - Paradise Lost [Chihara Minori].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Ga-Rei%20Zero%20OP%20Single%20-%20Paradise%20Lost%20%5BChihara%20Minori%5D.zip.to rrent)

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
well it's certainly changed quite a bit, hasn't it?

the action is way down, the gore even more so. I'd thought they'd get into the evil spirits a bit more, but all we've really had is some discussion of hereditary spirtual beasts and arranged marriages.

Somehow I'm still enjoying it. The humor in this show catches me in the right place, whether it be crazy Naked Michael or Nori and Yomi fighting, but I'd like to see it get back on track soon.

The second Mei first appeared with her sniveling wretch of a father, I thought, "man, she has middle of the road bad guy written all over her". That silver hair is just bad news in this show...

Also, due to the Type A being around at the point of the cliffhanger in episode 02, I've got a very strong feeling that eventually they're going to have to come back to that point. It'll probably just be Kagura vs Yomi, with Kagura finally summoning the Ga-Rei White Dragon as the big predictable climax, but... Maybe they can pull it off... I have a hard time believing this show will end on a "yeah, you saw the end first, now learn all about the happy times that were destroyed" note. It just doesn't have that kind of feel to it at all.

edit: also, i totally agree with Yuki. Whether it was nice or nasty or whatever, the way they did those first two episodes was ridiculously awesome. God knows I'd never be watching this show if it hadn't started so well, and now I'm invested in the characters, even knowing how they end up.

It was all worm at the outset, but even now that we can taste the unpleasant bitterness of the metal, and we know it's going to probably be a tough haul to shore, the hook is set deep in the gut of us viewers, the fish. At least, this fish here's swallowed the barb whole, and so I might as well follow it to land, because even if the line grows slack and I wriggle away from this one, I sure won't be getting over that hook any time soon.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Gungrave, and the first episode of Naruto Shitpudden also did this fairly well too (Shitppudden actually doing it best out of those three, I feel).

Kraco
Tue, 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Three episodes of a continuous flashback of an already deceased character. This series is pretty hard to figure out, but I'm sure there must be some relevance out there, hidden quite deep so far. I could have lived without this flashback, though, which is also why I was in no hurry to wacth the last couple of episodes. Eps 1 and 2 were promising in their morbid cruelty and constant reek of death, but these last three have been somewhat uninteresting.

Pandadice
Tue, 11-18-2008, 01:03 PM
yeah, that's what I thought up until the end of episode 5. which was a great ending.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't think they will continue the story from episode 1 and 2, and simply proceed with the flashbacks until the past catches up to the first two episodes.

I personally like this setup, since you already know the tragic ending, yet you start to get attached to the characters despite knowing so. I am personally a Yomi fan, even if I know she will go evil in the end.

Pandadice
Wed, 11-19-2008, 02:22 AM
I don't really like any of the characters :\

Nadouku
Fri, 11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
[AnYoshi] Ga-Rei Zero - Episode 6: Download (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/[AniYoshi]_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_06_[D1B6953C].mkv.torrent)

Hmm, sensing some malicious intents coming from Mei!? The title was misleading, since I thought it was gonna be Mei's attack on Yomi and Kagura. I guess next episode should be the one.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
And Ryllharu starts watching this show because he liked the OP!

I still have an episode or two to catch up on.

This might be a little late, but the whole point of all the flashbacks are to establish why Kagura and the others are so shaken that Yomi became a Type A. That means that not only is she now dead, she turned into a malignant spirit that hates all of them (from my understanding of the lingo in the first two episodes). Her resentment is so high, she became a high-level spirit. In the flashback, Yomi and Kagura's extremely close relationship is established, so we can finally understand why Kagura was so unable to purify Yomi the same easy way she did the Type B.

Of course, the delicious side to the series is the anticipation of how Yomi went "missing" months before leading to her eventual death and rebirth as a creature of hatred.

With the introduction of Mei as a bloodline successor and her apparent odd attitude about Yomi taking control of the family, more and more potential outcomes for Yomi's untimely death begin to rise.

Episode 7 is out by the way:

[AniYoshi] Ga-Rei​ Zero​ -​ 07​.mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_07_%5BFDE80ED6%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM
This might be a little late, but the whole point of all the flashbacks are to establish why Kagura and the others are so shaken that Yomi became a Type A.

I must disagree. The whole point of this long flashback arc is to explain why killing Kagura was actually a coup de grace. She's so annoying a character that she's better off dead than lingering in that job she's so ill suited for. Mei's father is also so annoying that I hope Mei the Zombie kills him at some point soon. No wonder Yomi might snap, especially if that man becomes the new leader (Yomi wasn't yet officially inaugurated, after all).

I don't know if I can watch this much longer. The awesome, relentless brutality of the first eps has surely been replaced by something else.

Everon
Thu, 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I think the saccharine middle section makes a nice contrast from the first two episodes. It makes Yomi's fall from grace much more tragic. We can see how fragile her happiness is. Its all layed out for us: A dangerous exorcist lifestyle, a leadership role inherited from an unrelated father, an out-dated planned marriage, a 'sister' who looks up to her.

Everything is going to go downhill from here (the mood, that is). Her status and her happiness depended a lot upon her father being there. Now that he's gone, a lot of things are going to get harder for Yomi.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Indeed. Those episodes were for development. If the entire show was composed of tragedy and brutality, I doubt anyone would care if anyone died in the show.

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I must disagree. The whole point of this long flashback arc is to explain why killing Kagura was actually a coup de grace. She's so annoying a character that she's better off dead than lingering in that job she's so ill suited for.
...except this series is marketed as a prequel, and we know Kagura survives this ordeal. Not that I have read the manga, but I imagine she is considerably hardened from the experience, and acts a great deal more mature perhaps more like Mei before she got run through with her own weapon.

Like Everon, I expect the cold brutality of the show to return.

But the series really has little to do with Kagura. She has her own series. And while the intro episodes and certain parts of the series focus on her, the real protagonist of this series is Yomi. She just happens to be the kind of protagonist we know will suffer horribly before she died, and must be killed by Kagura to end the cycle of death that butterfly-boy causes.

Everon
Sat, 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM
[AniYoshi] Ga-rei Zero 08.mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_08_%5BCD5DD5CD%5D.mkv.torrent)

Be sure to watch after the credits.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-07-2008, 06:48 AM
I think anyone debating whether or not to drop the series at this point should definitely watch this episode. That means you Kraco. The build up was all necessary, and now we see why.

For a series where the theme has been betrayal, this episode really epitomized why. All in a single day, Yomi lost everything, except for Kagura. And Mei and her douchebag of a father caused it. Her inheritance, her weapon, her fiancee, her room. All for what? Jealously.

I did really enjoy where Mei became repentant after she touched Shishiou the first time. That a sword of that power could temporarily drive away the madness that had claimed her. As the boy said, that hatred was always within her, but that kind of thing is inside everyone at some point or another. I felt bad for Mei after she realized what she had done...even if it was what she had wanted, deep down.

Just like the line in the OP, this episode was what paradise betrayed looks like.

Kraco
Sun, 12-07-2008, 07:50 AM
What exactly is the boy, anyway? Some sort of Satan's right hand man or what? He's apparently immortal, can teleport, can track anybody anywhere, can summon dozens of high velocity flying spikes like Gilgamesh... He's no ordinary brat for sure.

I liked the moment in this episode when Yomi killed Mei despite her momentary return to sanity. That should happen more in anime. I didn't particularly like how Yomi has to become one of the demons so soon by that annoying, cheap brat. She would have been more interesting as a "regular" person completely cornered and pushed one time too many.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Well, concerning Yomi's demise, the brat is very, very powerful. Mei was no slouch either, and he ambushed her the same way. Yomi got a little further by blocking his first two spikes. Mei fell to those, but the brat can obviously summon them out of nowhere. She could stop two, but I don't think anyone could have stopped the fifty that he materialized out of thin air from less than 5 meters away.

From what I can guess from flashbacks and other snippets of info they've tossed out in photos and other things, the brat is a lot like Yomi or Kagura. He comes from a highly ranked and privileged exorcist family like Kagura with a death stone just like Kagura's father has...just much much larger. I'm guessing that somehow, the family fell out of favor years ago. So then, like Yomi he was abandoned but never picked up the same way she was. He either died then or when the family fell the first time, and returned as a vengeful spirit, taking the death stone into his eye. He has all the same powers of a very strong Type A spirit, but with the huge death stone, developed all the other abilities from that, not just healing like Mei got.

What I liked about the way that Yomi re-killed Mei was that Evil Yomi pulled the exact same thing on Kagura in episode 2, but it was a trick, and Kagura fell for it. Yomi was so filled with rage that she did not. Yomi is a far more ruthless individual deep down. I guess that's why the brat wanted her so bad.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't think Yomi is ruthless at all. I would rather say that she is extremely pure, since even after losing everything, she still manages to care for Kagura so much even if Kagura is somewhat a representation of what she lost.

I think it is Yomi's mental strength that caused her to become what she was in the initial episodes. The brat mentioned that mental strength or a strong will is required to fully merge with the stone, so I think that rather than allowing one to resist its influence, a strong mind will only take it to the extreme.

Yomi is currently my favorite character, no thanks to Kannagi being cheap on Nagi screen time.

Nadouku
Sun, 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Emotional episode. Even if Yomi appeared as a gentle and sweet person, the boy manages to find her strongest hate and manifests it as her power. I wonder what kind of hatred, other than the obvious ones, did he manage to emerge from the depths of her heart?

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
...i just watched episode 7..

is AniYoshi decent? i hate delaying pleasure... and if they're about on the same level as Aero, then I'd be glad to change over...

Nadouku
Mon, 12-08-2008, 01:31 AM
is AniYoshi decent? i hate delaying pleasure... and if they're about on the same level as Aero, then I'd be glad to change over...

Their quality is pretty good and translation is nifty, almost comparable or even better than most fansubs. I would give them a try. :D

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-08-2008, 01:41 AM
...i just watched episode 7..

is AniYoshi decent?

From experience, AniYoshi produced solid work.

I should really stop reading this thread, even if it's glancing, since I'm waiting to catch up from Ep 4/5 later in the month.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-08-2008, 02:58 AM
well, mother of hell, that was a good episode...

the last scene before the ED is just both shocking and almost heart-wrenching. part of you has to wonder if Mei came back to her senses then, or if it was just a ploy, but, either way, it isn't like her pent up emotions and hatred didn't play some part in what she became...

and, wow, that's some serious after the credits shit going down... goddamn...

this show is so confusing. some times it does crap like stupid fanservice and comedic romance, but then it turns right around and has cold blood murders, gore, and this sense of a complete loss of hope. the whole thing is ridiculously dark and i can only think of one other thing that had me wondering "how the FUCK can it ever possibly end well?" like this show has...

Yukimura
Mon, 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
AniYoshi rocks, upper-mid to upper tier group IMO. They've got depth (finishing stuff) and a solid history of quality unlike Aero who are good so far but still don't have a full series under their belts.

In any case, I thought this was a great ep as well. The suddenness and brutality of Yomi's demise caught me pretty off guard, especially after she so deftly blocked the first attack and seemed so full of confidence. It occurs to me that she had Kagura's sword with her but we know that Kagura gets her sword back, and also that Yomi still has to meet the pistol wielding guy from eps 1 and 2. I'm thinking she's going to quit her current position with the Ministry of the Environment and and go work for the Defense people. As to the effects of the Stone it's a toss up between her fighting it for a while but ultimately succumbing to it after re-dying or whatever effect it has will remain passive until the kid decides to make use of her.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-08-2008, 04:18 PM
It occurs to me that she had Kagura's sword with her but we know that Kagura gets her sword back, and also that Yomi still has to meet the pistol wielding guy from eps 1 and 2. I'm thinking she's going to quit her current position with the Ministry of the Environment and and go work for the Defense people. As to the effects of the Stone it's a toss up between her fighting it for a while but ultimately succumbing to it after re-dying or whatever effect it has will remain passive until the kid decides to make use of her.
They showed Yomi having the flashback when the Ministry of Defense buffoons showed up on the bridge in the beginning of the episode. It was the same scene we saw the pistol wielding guy have. It was either that or Yomi had the flashback when she saw the stone embedded in Mei's chest.

It seems that the event between the two of them already occurred.

Yukimura
Tue, 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
That flashback was in this most recent ep? I guess I must have missed it then. Now the question is if Yomi is going straight to chaotic evil or not, and if so how is Kagura going to get her sword back...

digitalrurouni
Tue, 12-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm I am gonna try out Ani Yoshi as well. I wonder if the quality is as good as aero subs at least in terms of visuals. I remember the reason why I switched over from AY to Aero at the beginning of the series was just comparing both the releases by comparing a few episodes, and I went with Aero then.

Nadouku
Wed, 12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
[AniYoshi] Ga-Rei Zero - Episode 9: Download (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/[AniYoshi]_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_09_[15E913F0].mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Wed, 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
No number of dying characters is too high for this series. They are all so nasty.

Nadouku
Wed, 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
I guess the amount of suffer Yomi gets would eventually get to her, even if she denies it so well. I guess the next episode would either go back to when she held Kagura or expand more on her madness, or killing spree.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I thought it was pretty brutal the way they depicted her vocal chords having gotten cut. Unlike a lot of other series where they are just silent, when Yomi tried to speak, there were pops or faint raspy gasps. That level of realism we rarely ever see (hear) kind of got to me.

I'm guessing that Yomi hates being pitied.

The little brat healing her was also very obviously intended to look like a molestation or rape, but worse still, it was the kind where the victim begins to enjoy it after a while. It was super-creepy. Makes the audience really hate that little fucker.

This episode was really good. Powerful stuff.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
This is my favorite episode by far. Being abandoned by everyone around her, I have to side with Yomi in this one. I hope she cuts up all of those bastards (ie the uncle, Nori and yeah, maybe even Kagura) It doesn't matter what reason they have for not being with her when she needs it the most, be it sincere or out of fear. When your friends, sister, and fiancee start doubting (it doesn't matter if they actually believe it or not) you as a murderer even after you get cut up, paralyzed and muted, you have the right to despair.

As much as I hate him, I have to admire that evil brat for his schemes. The lack of freedom (of expression and of action in this case) is a very powerful tool to instill hatred. The way he let Yomi taste such freedom once again slowly (part by part in fact) is what drove her to accept the jewel. If he tried to force her in one go, maybe Yomi could have resisted until Kagura got back, in which case Kagura will have to die and Yomi will not accept the jewel because her hatred would transfer to the brat for murdering her sister.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I also like how Yomi's line from episode 2 about Nori, "He is a coward," becomes perfectly clear here. He didn't even see her once. Sure, he protested the cancelling of their engagement (albeit briefly), he brought her flowers, but he never saw her. He just stood outside the door and spent the rest of the time examining what happened to her. Not in two months and a week or two.

When she needed him the most, he wouldn't go.

Kraco
Thu, 12-18-2008, 04:54 AM
The closing circle:

Episode 10 - AniYoshi (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_10_%5B5A0DE419%5D.mkv.torrent)

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-18-2008, 05:39 AM
I loved the way this recap-heavy episode was done. They blasted through the old material, emphasizing how abrupt Yomi's disappearance and shift to spiritual scourge occurred. It completely left everyone in shock.

Oddly colored censor dot aside, the way they had Yomi torturing Nori through killing the other guy was also well done. Yomi set the cruel and creepy meter to the maximum.

I had thought Yomi had disappeared for two months, but apparently it was less than two hours.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-18-2008, 06:28 AM
It wasn't just torture on Yomi's part. She was crying as she brought her sword down. It was actually a chance that she gave to Nori to stop her, but since he is a disgusting coward (that deserves much more than he got), he completely let it slip away.

Nadouku
Thu, 12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Noriyuuki just sets in to his emotions and lets it get in the way of his mission. Yes, it's painful to notice that the person you love is a killer now, and now you have to kill her. However, she's torturing your friend! Cave into your emotions and let your friend die or save him? I never thought he would be such a big coward to do the first, but now he's completely out of it. Good episode, liked the timely arrival of Kagura's father. :D

Everon
Thu, 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I was bummed they filled the episode with almost everything from the 2nd. I watched that one 4 times already, heh. :D

Good episode.

Kraco
Thu, 12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
I was bummed they filled the episode with almost everything from the 2nd. I watched that one 4 times already, heh. :D

Hah hah. I was aware it covered a lot of the same ground as the second ep, but it has been a while since then, and I didn't feel like I was rewatching too much during this ep. Moreoever, I'm too happy all the sappy stuff is finished and we back at where it shines: Wanton massacres.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes, it's painful to notice that the person you love is a killer now, and now you have to kill her. However, she's torturing your friend!

I don't think the friend should even matter. The one that bears the most responsibility for turning Yomi into YOMI (capitalized for evil coolness) is Nori. At the very least he should take responsibility and kill her, in order to end her suffering under the influence of the jewel. His desire to keep Yomi alive is ultimately Nori putting his feelings before Yomi's well-being. He is not only a coward, but a selfish bastard.

Will you kill the person you love because of love?

Nori's answer was wrong.

Pandadice
Tue, 12-23-2008, 04:02 AM
awman, I just caught up with the AniYoshi subs (had been waiting for aero), and this was awesome! it's nice to see they're back to real-time and out of the flashback. it really makes me anticipate the next episode.

Yukimura
Tue, 12-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Ga Rei Zero - 11 - [AniYoshi] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_11_%5B7A1445B8%5D.mkv.torrent)

Awesome Awesome Awesome!

Everon
Tue, 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Pine all you want about Nori's inaction, but that's just a small moment of this tragedy. I could line up all the events that have happened so far and say, "If only this had happened or if only that had happened, they wouldn't be in this mess!"

Oh yeah...
[AniYoshi] Ga Rei Episode 11.mkv (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_11_%5B7A1445B8%5D.mkv.torrent)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM
What's your point? No one ever said otherwise.

Pandadice
Wed, 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
episode 11 was pretty cool. seeing the giant Lion thing fight the dragon was awesome. what was up with the swords on the wheelchair, and then her fighting? that was just weird. did any of you guys notice how at first Kagura called her dad one thing but then later she started calling him otousan? I just thought that was funny. probably the former being a more formal address, so while he was dying she dropped the formality.

Nadouku
Wed, 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Episode 11...

I can't find a word to describe the awesomeness that just passed. That director is sure tougher than I thought, but it's sad to see them fall down, even though I thought they would have a chance against her. Now, it's Kagura's time to shine. :D

Everon
Wed, 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
did any of you guys notice how at first Kagura called her dad one thing but then later she started calling him otousan? I just thought that was funny. probably the former being a more formal address, so while he was dying she dropped the formality.

Yeah she called him chichiue a few times I think. Didn't really think about it till you mentioned it.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-25-2008, 06:30 PM
I've got a hunch that the Director is related to Natsuki (the motorcycle girl) from ep1, possibly her mother. The similarity of their fighting styles doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Pandadice
Thu, 12-25-2008, 09:02 PM
you're right, the wheelchair fighting had the exact same impression on me as the motorcycle fighting..

I dunno if it'll be a relations thing, it could just be that the director of the anime or whoever, liked the motorcycle fighting and wanted to recreate that in this episode.. maybe it was a big thing.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow...catching up from ep 7 was pretty intense. Most stuff's been mentioned already, so only thing I'll comment on is:

1) Yomi doujinshi........needs to be out NOW!

2) I swear the finishing move will be Noriyuki throwing the dagger thingy. As for the Stone kid, I'm not sure. Since this is a prequel for the manga, I can see him surviving, and becoming the being Kagura wants to hunt down most.

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Nah, I bet Nori is going to be killed sometime before the end. Not having read the manga (as this is a prequel), I only know that Kagura survives and has control of Byakuei.

I bet it will be something dramatic like Kagura slicing Yomi in half, and as she starts tp regenerate and starts trying to trick Kagura again by being all sweet, Kagura orders Byakuei to eat her (while sobbing a flood).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, actually, I'm starting to think Nori will die too...together with Yomi

Meh, let's find out: AniYoshi - Ga-Rei Zero 12 [FINAL] (http://a.scarywater.net/animeyoshi/%5BAniYoshi%5D_Ga-Rei_Zero_-_12_%5B22A80B3C%5D.mkv.torrent)

---------------------------------------
-The final note was an upbeat one, but boy that was a depressing ending.

-Noriyuki disappointed me. I guess Yomi's known him for a long time, and calling him a coward wasn't just on the spur of a moment. Given his circumstances, he's quite a pitiful character. "It's no longer the Yomi we know" - I wonder if he realises that was his last chance to do something for her.

-Kagura's just as hurt as Yomi. Just as Yomi didn't want to kill Kagura, Kagura was forced to kill her last treasure. "Will you kill someone you love because of love." - one will take more courage, but neither answer is easy.

-I didn't think about this until Kagura mentioned it. Believing someone didn't do something doesn't truly support them. Her thinking Yomi will never kill out of hatred, then feeling disappointed with her "imperfect" sister was all it took to drive Yomi off the edge - at that moment, she had truly lost everything.

However, seeing Kagura alive and well, and just as importantly, not hard-hearted shows just where Kagura surpassed Yomi - "Never yielding to the stone" (the Director) and "Bearing it all" (Tsuchimiya-dono). Arguably, Karuga hasn't been tested as much as Yomi, and has never tasted the power of an unsealed stone. Still, I think her outcome 2 years later shows by then she's surpassed Yomi in both mind and body. (fighting-wise, that is. Yomi's still hotter :p, but Kagura's getting there)

Yomi's not without her redeeming points though. She's been tested to the extreme, and her yet her biggest desire is to keep her sister safe at the price of her own destruction. (Whether or not it's her true wish only because her darker ones are already fulfilled is questionable. Given she had a clear mind, she'd undoubtedly choose her sister's safety over revenge.)

This has to be one of the better concluded anime I've seen, tying up all the ends, and actually finishing what they started. Action scenes have been great, complete with the thrill and abruptness that keeps you on your toes. I'm prepared to check out the Ga-Rei manga, especially if it has the same flavour as Ga-Rei Zero, but I'll wait a bit to see if they'll announce another anime adaptation.

-Having not read the manga, I can't say if it's a good prequel. As a standalone, it's been a great story exploring love/hate relationships tested at their limit. I personally love it, and find it a great promotion for the existing Ga-Rei manga.

Yukimura
Sun, 12-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Her sword has a GUN in it!

Anyway, I too found this anime to be quite excellent. Kagura x Yomi showed us a great relationship with a brutal but ultimately positive conclusion. Buffalobiian said everything I would have said except I didn't care about Noriyuki enough to bother forming an opinion about his character. But I'm strongly tempted to read the manga now since I'm quite curious to see how it is Kagura behaves which this prequel (I assume) was meant to reveal those familiar with the Kagura we saw in the last scene. If they end up just animating the manga though I would definitely check it out.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Don't expect too much from the manga. While it is a decent series, it is not nearly as gory or emotionally powerful as Ga-Rei zero. It is made for a more shounen-loving audience and is quite similar to Bleach, especially the premise.

But Kagura is much, much hotter in the manga.

Idealistic
Sun, 12-28-2008, 06:54 AM
^^ Kagura is hot with that long hair at the end. Is this how she looks like in the manga? Or she just looks better overall? Anyways, I decided to catch up to the series after I was thinking of dropping it and I guess it is only 12 episodes. Glad I picked it back up though, it's a pretty good series.

So I guess it's safe to say episode 1 was just one big troll? They could have done it without the intro of that group in the beginning. How can you design a character like Natsuki(http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279/gc-dqn/980893f8023686ca31dab7de3ea9fbbb.jpg) and just let her die off like that!?!? :mad:

And what's with the flashbacks we see with them/Yomi/boy with death stone? Are they from the manga because the anime didn't explain them. Unless I missed it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-28-2008, 07:17 AM
So I guess it's safe to say episode 1 was just one big troll? They could have done it without the intro of that group in the beginning. How can you design a character like Natsuki (http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279/gc-dqn/980893f8023686ca31dab7de3ea9fbbb.jpg) and just let her die off like that!?!? :mad:

And what's with the flashbacks we see with them/Yomi/boy with death stone? Are they from the manga because the anime didn't explain them. Unless I missed it.
Natsuki (honestly didn't bother remembering her name) if you look at her close was more or less just a copy of Natsuki from Mai-Hime, and a generic stereotype of shonen series as a whole, which was pretty much the idea when they trolled all the fans of the Ga-Rei manga with the promotional material for this series (or so I have read).

You didn't miss anything. They never explained any of it for that scene. Yomi being an exorcist, came across that guy and his semi-deceased love, and it was a trauma all around, except for the fucking Brat (who of course loved it).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the series, what hit me the most was actually what happened to Kiri. Yomi hurt her so badly that she mentally reverted to a child, and the president appears to have left out of guilt.

I think Bill covered the majority of the rest of the comments I would have made, well done Bill. A very thorough analysis, couldn't have said it better.

I only would like to expand on one thing. Nori. I don't think he is pitiful or even pitiable at all. While the rest is all good, Nori has been thoroughly broken by the experience. He's still a coward, but now he's a fortune teller and potentially a "wandering exorcist"? He has been utterly disgraced, which frankly is a lot more than he deserves. Cowards don't survive, cowards die on the knees with their backs to their killers.

EDIT:
Kagura also lost the only two friends she could talk to. Well, she ran away from them. That was a minor little tragedy itself.

Guess I'll go download the manga now. I know it's more standard fare, but I needed something to read, and I didn't pick up Ga-Rei at the time because they announced this prequel.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is the manga Kagura.

Slight spoilers if you plan to read the manga.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/kagura1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/kagura3.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/kagura5.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/kagura6.jpg

Yes, much, much hotter.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM
I read the first volume of the manga already between my last post and this one, and it helped clarify the ending for me a little bit.

- Kagura's cheerful tone at the end of the series is actually really reminiscent of Yomi's. She has become the big sister of sorts. The same cheerful, cute, playful and a little bit mischevious sides that Yomi always showed around her. Despite the horrible things that happened to Kagura and Yomi, she has decided she will live her life as Yomi did.

- 2 years make a lot of difference. Kagura is a lot cuter. From expressions to clothing to her attitude.

That is all. I will now continue reading the manga.

Nadouku
Sun, 12-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Looks like Kiri and the director survived, but with drastic results.

I somehow don't think that this is the end for Yomi. But, the episode was great, an exceptional ending to a prequel of a manga. Hope they animate Ga-rei some time soon! :p

Everon
Mon, 12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
If they could make it less shounen-like that would be awesome.

AniYoshi also has just released a DVD version of the first two episodes. So for anyone looking for an uncensored version, you can pick those up here (http://www.animesuki.com/group.php/687.html)