PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Shippuuden Episode 80

Marik
Thu, 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
[DB]​_Naruto​_Shippuuden​_080​_[B0AA876A].avi (http://www.dattebayo.com/t/ns080.torrent)

Spaceaprion
Thu, 10-16-2008, 09:50 PM
To me it seemed this episode went by incredibly fast. When the ending song came on I looked at the progress bar and thought no way that could be twenty minutes already.

The only minor complaint I had with the episode is when the leaf with the sunglasses was fighting Kakuzu. A few minutes ago Kakuzu's hands were flying all over the place, now all of sudden this dude with glasses is easily blocking and dodging his attacks.

its probably going to be a sad one next week too if they show him telling Kurenai.

Azonalanthious
Thu, 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Eh... I would say he's just being cautious. His abilities may have some sort of major weakness (just skyballing here) and while he knew the rough abilities of Asuma's group from watching the earlier part of the fight, he has only limited knowledge of the newcomers. So he could be testing the waters with basic taijutsu, knowing that he can break out his more powerful tactics if he gets into trouble or once he's sure they don't have abilities able to counter it. Alternately, not everyone is Naruto of the never-ending-supply-of-chakra. Its clear that Asuma summoned reinforcements and he has no way of knowning how many more folks might be coming, so he could just be conserving energy in case he needs it later.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Ugh, an otherwise epic episode marred by 5 seconds of the return of "clone fighting" style taijutsu animation.

Other than that, SUPER SAAAAAAD!!!

And seriously, where the hell does Akatsuki Leader hang out? Fucking Zanarkand?

Yukimura
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Loved Akatsuki leader, I didn't think they'd make him look like a zombie, but I suppose it fits. Asuma's death was a lot less dramatic the second time around, but still, it was moving, with the music and the rain and seeing the cigarette get more and more smoked etc. A good episode.

Aoba (sunglasses guy) got shafted with that Taijutsu fight. He looked so bad ass with his army of crows jutsu but then they had to go and ruin it. I'm a bit ticked about that.

Danad_corps
Fri, 10-17-2008, 01:49 AM
I'd say the thing that marred this episode the most was that Shkimaru didn't smoke a cigarette at the end. Something like that should not be left out.

Pandadice
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:35 AM
To me it seemed this episode went by incredibly fast

That's because the last two have been two part episodes :p

I didn't like the hand-to-hand fighting that the Akatsuki and the other dude did. It was so slow, and bland.. just, boring. The City that the Akatsuki leader was in looked freakin awesome. I can't wait to see more of it.

I really didn't like them giving Asuma last words.. I think it would of been a much cooler death if he had just died on the battlefield, without the luxury of last words. :\

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:44 AM
what do you play your vids with? anytime I download the torrent it never works when i go to play it... I have the core media player and divx.

Pandadice
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:53 AM
I have CCCP and Media Player Classic. and they play fine for me.

.. Also GOM player, but I hardly ever use that.. and I never use it for Naruto.

Kraco
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:14 AM
what do you play your vids with? anytime I download the torrent it never works when i go to play it... I have the core media player and divx.

DB's releases these days are h264 encodes in avi containers. Make sure your configuration can handle that (divx won't help you here).

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:18 AM
well fuck DB I found a site streaming it anyway

http://wnaruto.net/

and thanks for the info panda and kraco

lilphatboi88
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:59 AM
I wonder who the king is...

And, so if they had just held out for what, 5 mins more? The reinforcements would have been there.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I'd say the thing that marred this episode the most was that Shkimaru didn't smoke a cigarette at the end. Something like that should not be left out.Wait, he smokes in the manga? That's hardcore. I can see why they took that out though. Having a 15 year old smoke on TV?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I wonder who the king is...

The king is who you follow. The king is who you serve. The king is who you protect. Someone (or some group) that you'd die to protect. The Third is a fine example.

I'll let you draw the conclusion.

lilphatboi88
Fri, 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I was wondering if it's Kurenai or Shikamaru

Abdula
Fri, 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Come on people you don't know who the king is? I mean Bill practically spelled it out.

lilphatboi88
Fri, 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM
He better not have been talking about Naruto.

Abdula
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah its Naruto:rolleyes:

What a waste of an episode. After the leader made his little appearance I just skipped over everything else and really what was up with that stupid taijutsu battle.

I guess that scene really is just not gonna make it in Assertn. A pity, the name change was pretty clever though..

Pessu
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Wait, he smokes in the manga? That's hardcore. I can see why they took that out though. Having a 15 year old smoke on TV?

Arent they already like 17-18?

I dont read the manga but I expected Shikamaru to pick up that cigarette when he started walking. Somehow the scene felt like it was build for that.

ASSpirine
Fri, 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Good ending in my opninion.
Now, who's the next victim from the "good" side, I hope it's Naruto :p

Alhuin
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah its Naruto:rolleyes:

What a waste of an episode. After the leader made his little appearance I just skipped over everything else and really what was up with that stupid taijutsu battle.

I guess that scene really is just not gonna make it in Assertn. A pity, the name change was pretty clever though..

I've seen you mention this a couple of times now. I read the manga up to this point (and a little after), but I can't remember what scene you're talking about. Could you PM me the details?

Yukimura
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Go read chapters 317and 318 again.

Kraco
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
He better not have been talking about Naruto.

I would have needed to buy a new screen if he had said Naruto... My fist would have rendered my current LCD inoperable.

It was a decent episode but honestly I'm feeling nothing comparable to the Third's death watching this. Maybe that's because I mainly think Asuma here died unnecessarily and they fought poorly.

I can't believe they didn't even steal Kakuzu's suitcase full of money. That would have at least been a small victory considering how majorly that would have pissed the man off.

Abdula
Fri, 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
It was a decent episode but honestly I'm feeling nothing comparable to the Third's death watching this. Maybe that's because I mainly think Asuma here died unnecessarily and they fought poorly.
Indeed. The build just wasn't there and I blame the studio guys because of their poor execution. They drew it out way too much and there was too much foreshadowing. Instead of wasting time showing us Sakura and Sai, they should have been focusing more on Asuma's character. Asuma's death was supposed to come out of nowhere, because it was a complete surprise.

You would think creating emotional impact would be so much easier to do in the anime than it is in the manga.

Oh, speaking of wasting time. This is why they showed us Choji and Ino earlier, for them to come in now and do absolutely nothing. Waste of screen time.

Kraco
Fri, 10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
A very good point. If they had dared to do it so dynamically that it would have left the feeling of there being never any other choice, everything happening so fast and unexpectedly, the Akatsuki being so overpowering and crushing, then Asuma's death would have had the proper kind of holy shit! Did that just happen? feeling. And they could still have inserted appropriate flashbacks and all the other meaningful stuff at the right moment, enhancing the atmosphere.

Now you saw Asuma's death from two kilometers away and all the fighting just seemed stupid and redundant when you knew it, because naturally and automatically your mind would try to find reasons why it shouldn't happen under such circumstances.

StingRay
Fri, 10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
i'm happy they showed the Akatsuki leader a bit; even though he was in some odd town/city. While the birds were flying towards the leader, did anyone else notice those japanese symbols on the buildings? maybe those mean something i don't know...just something i noticed. I usually notice the things that usually don't mean anything though lol.

Also, anyone know why Kakuzu mentioned the black sword that was coming at him?there anything special about a black sword in Naruto that i don't know about? or am i perhaps dwelling on something insignificant and it was just a technique used to hide the sword amidst the crows?(odds are i'm over thinking it, sorry all! lol)

Abdula
Fri, 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
it was just a technique used to hide the sword amidst the crows?(odds are i'm over thinking it, sorry all! lol)
Answered your own question. Lol.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:13 AM
I think some of you manga readers just WANT to hate the anime.

I had no problems feeling empathy with characters this episode. I thought it was a great death scene.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:42 AM

I had no problems feeling empathy with characters this episode. I thought it was a great death scene.

I thought it was quite well done. In fact, better than the Third's. I never felt much when the old guy died though, so that doesn't say much.

I'm interested in Hidan's ritual still. We saw it dispelled after Asuma fell, but not dead. It's still hard to say whether it can be dispelled voluntarily, or only when your target is dead, or sure to die.

Patriot
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I cried...he really did die...sob....

Kraco
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I thought it was quite well done. In fact, better than the Third's. I never felt much when the old guy died though, so that doesn't say much.

To be honest I don't remember that much of it. The best death scene in Naruto is Neji's. And he didn't even die...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:59 AM
To be honest I don't remember that much of it. The best death scene in Naruto is Neji's. And he didn't even die...

For like how many episodes did he have a sword stuck in him? By the end of it, I almost wanted him to die. Almost. So when he did, I couldn't wholeheartedly say "Why did he have to die" and cry.

I was certain Neji would live through it, so his didn't tug the emotional strings neither.

By far the best was ZabuzaXHaku. I actually cried, and my chest hurt.

Kraco
Sat, 10-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Ah, yes. That was good indeed, I have to admit. Didn't remember it just now as they were villains.

Abdula
Sat, 10-18-2008, 04:43 PM
You're too soft Bill, but yeah Zabuza and Haku was by far the best.

There you go spouting nonsense again. My only real complaint is how much they drew it out and how they gave it all away. Which is something the anime always does. Kabuto being the spy in Oro's organization is another great example. Asuma's death should have been a complete surprise, just when Shikamaru figured out Hidan's jutsu and things started to look up, bam he is killed just liked that. No time wasted stretching. What was really surprising was that he wasn't just defeated but he was actually killed, because that doesn't happen. But here three weeks before he actually dies, the preview mentions that the title of the next episode is Asuma Dies! The Naruto Shippuuden Special of Despair and Imprisonment and the kicker is, he doesn't actually die until the episode after that one. Its ridiculous.

In the manga this enitre battle, from the time Hidan was captured and Kakuzu surprised Shikamaru to the time Asuma was killed and Hidan and Kakuzu were called away, took 5 chapters. Now considering the fact that before the fillers started the anime used to cover about 2 chapters an episode. This battle should not have taken two specials and still an extra episode to complete. I'm still upset we didn't get to see Hidan being decapitated, and even what they did show was really dumbed down but that is to be expected.

All of that and there are still scenes that they left out and you say we WANT to hate the anime:rolleyes:

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Seriously, does the quality of Naruto correspond to any changes in the animation team/director, or did they all just decide to not give a shit about this anymore?

Patriot
Sun, 10-19-2008, 12:28 AM
So...is he really dead? I'm in disbelief...how do you kill Asuma? He had soo much to give still.... I still don't totally believe it.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-19-2008, 02:18 AM
But here three weeks before he actually dies, the preview mentions that the title of the next episode is Asuma Dies! The Naruto Shippuuden Special of Despair and Imprisonment and the kicker is, he doesn't actually die until the episode after that one. Its ridiculous.Well, I can't argue with that. Episode naming is probably my biggest pet peeve about anime. One Piece does the same thing. I love how Bleach just names episodes by their number. I wish they all did that.

ASSpirine
Sun, 10-19-2008, 05:35 AM
They always do stuff like that, the name of the episode only reflects the coming episode...
And also, they don't know how to use previews, they always give it away...

That's the biggest complaint

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sun, 10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
well fuck DB I found a site streaming it anyway

http://wnaruto.net/

and thanks for the info panda and kraco

This website seems to be alright, just be careful though if you are anime only, the little chat window in the side, people seem to like to spit out a lot of spoilers...:(

Jessper
Sun, 10-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I never see the episode titles. *shrug*

Jeff_from_MD
Sun, 10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
God I don't know about you guys but this whole fight was completely unsatisfying..and it's not just because the bad guys won for once.

Usually when the enemy ups the level of the battle, the good guys are supposed respond in kind. You know, with some super new technique or hell, just plain ingenuity! Instead, Asuma had like no bags of tricks in his arsenal besides that exploding ash cloud, while Shikamaru just ends up temporarily pushing that immortal guy out of his circle. Who needed to play a million chess flashbacks just to figure THAT strategy out??

In short, this arc was two bad guys demonstrating new techniques on some weak punching bags, with none of the classic evenly-matched give n' take. And they won't say why Hidan's immortal, or what makes Kakuzu so badass, and they don't even tell you who the King of the chess pieces is. I dunno, I just don't know why Asuma, who I thought was cool, had to die in such an pwnage, helpless fashion. He didn't redeem himself AT ALL. And now after two weeks, this episode just shows him dying/flashbacks, followed by next week's customarily boring funeral episode.

This arc started with two unbelievably cocky bad guys, and it finishes with two of 'em still cocky. DAMNITOL!!!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, for a guy who supposedly is wind element affinity, he didn't know shit for wind techniques.

lilphatboi88
Mon, 10-20-2008, 01:01 AM
You see, I have to agree that it totally sucks to see Asuma die. He was one of my favorite characters. But I think we are all justifying his death because of how lame Naruto has been lately with no one getting killed. I really do feel bad that he died, but I guess his death just drew back a lot of Naruto fans.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-20-2008, 01:13 AM
They don't even tell you who the King of the chess pieces is.

Do I really have to say it? They'll probably have Shikamaru say it next ep anyway. They'll need something to talk half an hour about.

And I'm totally with you about Asuma's lack of wind techniques. Remember that Baki guy from the sand and his Phantom Wind Blade? How cool would Asuma be if he dished out some of that before he died (since he had to, the title said so)?

lilphatboi88
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Do I really have to say it? They'll probably have Shikamaru say it next ep anyway. They'll need something to talk half an hour about.

And I'm totally with you about Asuma's lack of wind techniques. Remember that Baki guy from the sand and his Phantom Wind Blade? How cool would Asuma be if he dished out some of that before he died (since he had to, the title said so)?

For most of us who have not read the manga, it really seems to be up in the air on who the king is. It could be Naruto because I guess he did die fighting akatsuki who will eventually be after naruto. But then, Asuma never really had a relationship or cared that much about naruto. It could be Shikamaru because I'm thinking Asuma died to protect him. But would the village sacrifice itself for Shikamaru? It just sounds weird for Shikamaru to be the king.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM
For most of us who have not read the manga, it really seems to be up in the air on who the king is. It could be Naruto because I guess he did die fighting akatsuki who will eventually be after naruto. But then, Asuma never really had a relationship or cared that much about naruto. It could be Shikamaru because I'm thinking Asuma died to protect him. But would the village sacrifice itself for Shikamaru? It just sounds weird for Shikamaru to be the king.

lol, so I'm a manga prophet now?

Take the conversation in the filler arc between Asuma and other-evil-guy. They said agreed the Hokage (Shikamaru's idea of a king) can be easily replaced should they die. Konoha ninjas don't just serve whoever's in office. Hokage is only a figurehead. A symbol for the true king. Who is/are <fill blank here>.

Note: Is/are is a big hint.

PS: I don't read the manga :p

Archangel
Mon, 10-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Wait, he smokes in the manga? That's hardcore. I can see why they took that out though. Having a 15 year old smoke on TV?

Not only does the lack of this scene take a huge amount of impact over Asuma's death, it also fucks up events that in my opinion were some of the best in the manga, all to make this bullshit anime more politically correct.

Seriously, just read it here (http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/chapter-328/page001.html)

How in the fuck does a scene without animation or music manage to make a bigger impact then its animated counterpart??

How about you just make Shikamaru and Asuma suck on lollipops the next time around douchebags? ( One Piece fans know what i mean )

Abdula
Mon, 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I couldn't help but laugh. So, how does it feel to be a manga prophet Bill?:p

Especially for knowing something that really should be obvious.

lilphatboi88
Mon, 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM

Take the conversation in the filler arc between Asuma and other-evil-guy. They said agreed the Hokage (Shikamaru's idea of a king) can be easily replaced should they die. Konoha ninjas don't just serve whoever's in office. Hokage is only a figurehead. A symbol for the true king. Who is/are <fill blank here>.

Note: Is/are is a big hint.

PS: I don't read the manga :p

Really, you guys have to know something I don't. After reading that, it doesn't ring a bell. "A symbol for the 'true king'" hmm... Is it those grandma's and grandpa's that tell the hokage what to do?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I couldn't help but laugh. So, how does it feel to be a manga prophet Bill?:p

I feel wronged, but oddly superior. :p

Really, you guys have to know something I don't. After reading that, it doesn't ring a bell. "A symbol for the 'true king'" hmm... Is it those grandma's and grandpa's that tell the hokage what to do?

I've got the feeling they'll reveal it, so we'll just wait and see. ;)

(I would look like such a fool if I'm wrong :o )

lilphatboi88
Tue, 10-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Your location is in Australia? Have you heard of Pastor Judah Smith before?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Your location is in Australia? Have you heard of Pastor Judah Smith before?

No, I haven't. Should I have?

(and that was sort of out of the blue :p )

Kraco
Tue, 10-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Like Buffalobiian I have my strong suspicions but at the same time I've to keep in mind this is the idiotic Naruto anime, so it would be extremely dangerous to state here anything that logic would dictate elsewhere. So, without actually saying anything, I feel the need to point out, lilphatboi88, that only someone living in a dictatorship would restrict his guesses like you do.

lilphatboi88
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Like Buffalobiian I have my strong suspicions but at the same time I've to keep in mind this is the idiotic Naruto anime, so it would be extremely dangerous to state here anything that logic would dictate elsewhere. So, without actually saying anything, I feel the need to point out, lilphatboi88, that only someone living in a dictatorship would restrict his guesses like you do.

Um, I'm not restricting my guesses...I'm not sure I quite understand.

I also don't understand "so it would be extremely dangerous to state here anything that logic would dictate elsewhere."

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:34 AM
It's a shounen anime, so I fully expect the "king" is one of those "whatever you want to protect most" type bullshit. So the "king" is different for each person.
Seriously, just read it here (http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/chapter-328/page001.html)

How in the fuck does a scene without animation or music manage to make a bigger impact then its animated counterpart??You know, after reading that...I don't think it's an improvement. I really don't think him not smoking really lessens the impact much, and the manga was missing the awesome imagery of the cigarette slowly burning down between flashbacks.

Kraco
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Um, I'm not restricting my guesses...I'm not sure I quite understand.

Sure you are, because you are only thinking about individual people, not concepts like DE pointed out above. I expect the "king" to be all the people of Konoha, or the spirit of Konoha, or something along those lines.

I also don't understand "so it would be extremely dangerous to state here anything that logic would dictate elsewhere."

Ever since the fillers after the chasing Sasuke arc, Naruto has done little to impress me. So, I simply deem it dangerous to expect it to flow along the lines I'd logically expect it to do. Like this current Asuma arc, which was filled with very little sense. Thus, although I would judge it extremely stupid, I wouldn't exactly fall from my chair out of surprise if they said Naruto was the king they were talking about...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Sure you are, because you are only thinking about individual people, not concepts like DE pointed out above. I expect the "king" to be all the people of Konoha, or the spirit of Konoha, or something along those lines.

lol. I just remembered I said the answer(or so I think) 9 episodes back.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=394530&postcount=18

Yeah, this king stuff has gone on for long enough.

lilphatboi88
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
what do you guys mean by "DE?"

Abdula
Tue, 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
DarthEnder

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm a champion.

ASSpirine
Tue, 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
lol. I just remembered I said the answer(or so I think) 9 episodes back.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=394530&postcount=18

Yeah, this king stuff has gone on for long enough.

Apparently I wasn't kidding, and it seems like a lot of people still aren't sure ;)

Alhuin
Tue, 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Go read chapters 317and 318 again.

Thanks, I went back and re-read those chapters, and Abdula also informed me via PM. I can't believe I forgot about that, but of what all I've read of the manga, I skimmed through, so some small things I've forgotten about.

Anyways, as to the discussion about the king: With all the hints given to us through the anime and other Gotwoot users, I think it's pretty easy to determine at least a close enough prediction as to who the "true king(s)" is(are). I mean, we already know it isn't the Hokage, or the, what was it, Feudal Lord (of the Fire Country)? That only leaves a few possibilities. But, like everyone else, it'd be safer not to say it exactly, as with our luck, the anime will screw it up. ;)

Archangel
Wed, 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
What's with all the discussion on who the "king" is? This is a shonnen anime people, it's going to turn out to be some shit like " the future" or "the children" or "love and happiness".

You know, after reading that...I don't think it's an improvement. I really don't think him not smoking really lessens the impact much, and the manga was missing the awesome imagery of the cigarette slowly burning down between flashbacks.

Are you kidding me? Even in the anime you could feel that the whole scene was building up to that moment. Besides no matter how the lack of that scene fucked up that episode, it will most definitely fuck up the rest of this arc even more.

I'm seriously loosing interest in the naruto anime, maybe i'll just read the manga from now on if this shit keeps up while i pray that they get some decent anime directors who know how to properly deal with the show

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Are you kidding me? Even in the anime you could feel that the whole scene was building up to that moment. Besides no matter how the lack of that scene fucked up that episode, it will most definitely fuck up the rest of this arc even more.Well, if its like a momento, it seems they are replacing the pack of cigarettes with the lighter. Which honestly makes more sense as a keepsake.

Unless your implying that Shikamaru developes some kind of smoking-based jutsu. Which would be retarded.

Although...Asuma did blow a cloud of ash at a guy...

Archangel
Wed, 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Lol even if he did i wouldn't imply it.

But there is a way to spin things that has occurred to me that won't hurt the outcome of the arc... much.

I also wanted shikamaru to smoke the cigar because he looks so badass doing it in the manga lol.

Kraco
Wed, 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Shikamaru is supposed to be a genius and wittier than anybody else in Konoha. Seriously, starting to smoke, that is, starting to destroy his own health voluntarily, would seem like the last thing he would do. Unless there's some deficiency in his brain and only nicotine would alleviate the symptoms.

redcat
Wed, 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I also wanted shikamaru to smoke the cigar because he looks so badass doing it in the manga lol.
typical view of an impressionable little child

lilphatboi88
Thu, 10-23-2008, 03:38 AM
typical view of an impressionable little child

Typical view of an intellectual simpleton.

Uberbaka
Thu, 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical arguing of forum trolls.

Assertn
Thu, 10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Cigar? lol.

It's all about symbolism. Shikamaru remembers Asuma from his smoking habits. That's how he pays homage to him.