PDA

View Full Version : Casshern Sins

Besu
Sat, 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
In the distant future, where cyborgs and humans struggle to survive after the war which destroyed the world, a being in white suit awakens. His name is Casshern and he remembers nothing of his own past.

In barren and dark dystopian world, where every being alive seems to hate his existence and the evil from his past wants him dead, Casshern, haunted by the flashes of his past memories has to survive and figure out who or what exactly he is and how he got to where he is now. But he does not know that he might not like the horrible truth of the past, hidden deep inside his mind...

Two sub groups on on this anime right now.

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=34921]Anonymous
http://forum.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=14810]AoShen

Series description changed to less spoilerish one from AniDB.
-Kraco

Kraco
Sat, 10-04-2008, 02:13 PM
This seemed like a pretty promising series. It looked, at first, like some superhero or power ranger inspired story as the main character certainly looks like someone out of such media, but the setting itself isn't exactly like that. I also like the straight-forward mentality of the action, though naturally after only one episode it's a bit bold to make any predictions how it might continue.

I watched the Anonymous sub, it being HD and not SD like the AoShen version, but apparently Anonymous won't be subbing the series beyond the first episode so I hope someone else picks it up or AoShen will released also a HD version.

darkshadow
Sat, 10-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Pretty awesome, the last casshern anime was from 1974 or something, and the movie was pretty cool, so I might pick this up.

NeoBear
Sat, 10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
hmmm i feel like i have seen this befor those things on his waste he used them to fly or something it was old thats for sure. and he had a a dog and it would turn into a plane and he flew in it? but im pretty sure it was called Casshan.

also i am pretty sure Casshern is in that Capcom vs Tatsunoko game

yup heres a trailer if you care

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/273756.html?playlist=featured

Kraco
Sat, 10-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Another sub:

Episode 1 - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_01_%5B720p%5D%5BE0504FDE%5D.mkv.torrent)

I'll be getting this one unless a quality group happens to pick up this series.

Psyke
Sun, 10-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Just downloaded the Shinsen version, going to watch it soon. But it reminds me of the fact that I bought the live adaptation movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYqURahUKI) DVD but never did finish watching it. I always seemed to feel extremely sleepy half way in..... :p

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-05-2008, 05:54 AM
i liked the first episode. aside from a few loli leg shots (pervs), it seems to be a show without too many frills, and i like that. the whole 'kick ass robot fighter discovering his personality' reminds me a bit of Kikaider, but in a post-apocalyptic world. pretty good action. i'll keep watching this one.

Kraco
Sat, 10-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Sins keep accumulating:

Episode 2 HD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_02_%5B720p%5D%5BCA3AC570%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 2 SD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_02_%5B52478675%5D.avi.torrent)

- - - - - -

I keep liking this series. The atmosphere is really succesful in conveying the end of the world feeling and while amnesia is as overused a plot item as... wanting to kill your brother or something, I think it works really well in this series as the setting is kind of straight-forward (so far at least), and thus facts can be explained in indirect manner that still satisfies the needs. Like Casshern's sudden killing sprees. No corners are cut, either, like this episode demonstrated when Casshern butchered that whole bunch of previously peaceful robots.

Death13a
Sat, 10-11-2008, 10:26 AM
It interesting that robots obtain "life" on verge of dying and their self-preservation program kill of that "life" be trying to continue to live by eating Casshern (he is like candle's flame and they are moth drawn to it; if they can resist it they will have "life", if not they will burn).

I really like animation in this series, kinda sets you in mood.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I already love everything about this show. The apocalyptic ruinous setting, the dark animation that sets it all off, the desperation of the dying robots as they become aware of the surroundings, lolis...

Just amazing. Was the first series anywhere near this dark and foreboding? I might have to pick it up.

oyabun
Sun, 10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
I already love everything about this show. The apocalyptic ruinous setting, the dark animation that sets it all off, the desperation of the dying robots as they become aware of the surroundings, lolis...

Just amazing. Was the first series anywhere near this dark and foreboding? I might have to pick it up.

I agree. The animation is top notch. His armor reminds me of Megaman. And I love the concept too.

narutosharingan
Fri, 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree. The animation is top notch. His armor reminds me of Megaman. And I love the concept too.

THAT's what I was thinking of. And a little of speed racer. I don't know what I think of this yet, it's a little bleak. I'll need to watch more.

Pandadice
Fri, 10-17-2008, 02:46 AM
I've watched the first, and downloaded the second, but have yet to watch it.. I enjoyed the first episode. it seemed really interesting. I like that they try to keep the '70s art style for it. That's pretty cool.

masamuneehs
Fri, 10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
i watched episode two before going to bed last night, a casual 'oh, i'll end my evening with this' decision.

wow.

i was floored. there was more thought, poise, emotion and depth in this second episode than I've seen out of full series. the characters, albeit one episode throwaways (sans Friender and maybe the robot who said 'Were we even alive to begin with?') were very well done and even the minor ones (the Juggler comes to mind) were used very well. At around 2/3 of the way I was shocked to check the time and see that it had all been under 20 minutes, as it felt like I'd gotten to know the characters and situation really well.

Root's treachery and the way that all the robots seemed to lose control at the end (including Casshern) were really a shocker for me. The 'Doctor' was a cool character too.

Loved the use of the church as a center of 'faith' for the robots. Instead of using the church as a base for some 'afterlife/eternal salvation' kick like (Christian) humans do, it's a place for the dying to quietly await the empty death that they know is unavoidable.

The music is the one thing that I'm still sorta not too keen on. The old style kabuki theatre shouting track is something I haven't seen used outside of Naruto much (of course period piece animes set in Japan don't count). There's a massive amount of silence. Helps that the atmosphere is so perfectly morbid and devoid of life. It all sorta reminds me of "Now and Then, Here and There", except a totally different character cast and plot line.

I already don't like the vengeful bitch. She did a good job explaining why she would leave him alive, but you just KNOW that all of her anger and spite is going to come undone before the series concludes, and part of me just wishes we could skip that whole angst trip, because it's old hat. God knows that it probably wasn't Casshern's fault that he killed Luna (or that that didn't cause the Ruin, or that it actually saved the world from something even worse), although, if he had been a real bad guy before, and gets his memories back, that'd make for a really nice twist...

The animation is pretty decent, and, as said before, fits the atmosphere of the show rather well. The OP and ED are so low-budget it's great. I think it really shows when a group of people making an anime know that they can't just depend on hit pop-star OP songs and sparkly, top of the line animation to make it a success. Everyone goes a step or two farther than if the whole thing had been handed to them with a golden Sunrise spoon

Kraco
Sat, 10-18-2008, 03:52 AM
Crimson sins:

Episode 3 HD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_03_%5B720p%5D%5B2D1652EC%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 3 SD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_03_%5B9FEB57CA%5D.avi.torrent)

- - - - -

Continues as strongly as ever. Casshern seems fated to only have short relationships, but that doesn't mean they are meaningless. This dying human probably taught him a lot and gave a lot to think about, even though it might take him some time to realise that. A pretty nice human as well, all in all, even going to die somewhere else so that Casshern didn't need to see yet another die in his company. I wouldn't have minded him living for two episodes as he was a funny enough fellow. But since we don't know how many eps this is, perhaps they didn't have any more screentime to give him.

The next ep should reveal another interesting character, though, who might teach Casshern yet other things.

Pandadice
Sun, 10-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I really liked episode 3. definitely gonna stick with this series. I just hope it's a 26 or less episode series and doesn't go on past that though..

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-19-2008, 06:05 AM
i really liked the human guy too. would have been interesting to hear what exactly he did with his life, but i suppose the most important thing was meeting Casshern and helping him get the message that it doesn't matter what you did, but what you do about it now.

after he died, who closed his eyes? it didn't look like his hand. Did Casshern maybe come back to do it? Or...

also, anybody else notice the change in the opening scene? Before we had Casshern crouching in a pool of something (blood?) and Luna coldly asking, "You are?" but in this episode there was the breaking lantern, Casshern walking slowly and then Luna asks, in a much softer, unsure voice, "Who are you?"

probably relates to Casshern slowly uncovering his memories. We'll probably continue to get more and more of that scene at the beginning of each episode, but the fact that it was a little different, especially Luna's tone and words, caught my attention.

Friender is awesome. Also, I almost laughed when he tore Casshern's collar, then a few seconds later it was suddenly back again.

Kraco
Sun, 10-19-2008, 06:09 AM
I think his suit is somehow a part of his body. No matter how much he fights, it's always in perfect condition, so I reckon it regenerates fast, either separately or it's indeed like an extra organ. Thus, it didn't even visit my mind there could have been anything wrong with the collar being okay a moment later.

MFauli
Mon, 10-20-2008, 03:41 AM
It all sorta reminds me of "Now and Then, Here and There", except a totally different character cast and plot line.

Agreed, and after Ep 3, iīd even say: Make that human the main character, and you have some kind of scifi-Mushishi.

Awsome setting thatīs perfect for oh so many plots.

But, what i came in here to say:

This is thisī seasonīs highlight, just like Death Note or Guren Lagann have been highlights before. Everyone, watch this!

Munsu
Tue, 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Just watched the first 3 episodes... very good stuff. Not really in the mood to go into details and theories of things, but the action is awesome... and there's plenty of it.

Idealistic
Sun, 10-26-2008, 02:37 AM
^^ Just caught up too. This show is pretty cool so far. I like the concept of the robots/ruin(just rusting) thing. Though I want to know why destroying the moon was the cause of this, or was it just a metaphor or something.

But man... The world seems so lonely. Nothing but barrens.

masamuneehs
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:32 AM
i think the barren world fits very well with the mood in this show. after all, whatever the Ruin is, if it's bad enough to destroy robots, you know that it must have caused equally destructive ends for all plant life. We had our first non-robot appearances last episode, and not only did the human not seem to be coping very well with the new world, but that lizard was almost so tough that you can't imagine anything but the hardest and toughest creatures survived...

also, they didn't destroy the moon (although, interestingly, there has yet to be a moon shown in the sky in a single episode) The person who Casshern killed was named Luna, and people are saying that because he killed her the Ruin started.

Kraco
Sun, 10-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Fighting sins:

Episode 4 HD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_04_%5B720p%5D%5B6F99EFB0%5D.mkv.torrent)
Episode 4 SD - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_04_%5BB4EBF372%5D.avi.torrent)

Idealistic
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, it does fit well. I didn't mean it as a complaint, but more of a I can't imagine what it would be like to live like that.

Kraco
Sun, 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't think Ruin affects humans. The world is probably like that because the robots had no use for living nature and raped everything. Perhaps when they tried to fight against the ruin in larger scale before giving up. Humans were struggling to begin with, I reckon, under the rule of the robots, and with the world looking like that, they can't easily recover. Casshern seems to be a cyborg of some sort, which might explain why he doesn't rust like the full robots. Or killing Luna somehow left him immune to witness his own folly as a punishment for all eternity.

Munsu
Sun, 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Although not the same, both are affected by the ruin... ruin is simply a consequence because of lack of resources. Casshern simply has the best of both worlds... a body that doesn't rust like robots because it's capable of regenerating itself, and a body that doesn't require nutrition like that of humans. So no matter how you look at it, the ruin doesn't affect Casshern, but it does affect humans just the same... just not the same way as it does robots.

But as you say, the human downfall was already in effect before this whole ruin business came forth.

By the way, in case anyone missed it... the chick robot in this episode was called "Sophita". They clearly didn't mention her name enough during the episode, so you guys might have missed it.

Kraco
Mon, 10-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Hmm.... So, you think the ruin is just a general term for the collapse of the robotic civilization and not a concrete term for any specific ailment? I kept thinking it was a nanobot or whatever infection because it seemed to affect the robots pretty fast and considering how dry many parts of that world look like, general rusting of metals should be slow indeed.

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that's right bitches. It's a blow by blow!

For those who don't know, this is basically me watching an episode and reacting as I go along, generally stopping the video as I do so to write comments. I only do this for shows that I sincerely think are specially well done and deserve up close looks. I might rewind a bit to check facts, but it's all one long initial viewing, basically.

00:05 - Luna looks downright scared, and her gasp adds on to the opening scene in episode 3, where her voice was tone and words were noticeably softer and less threatening than in the initial version of the scene. And Casshern doesn't say anything this time either. And he's covered in blood. White eyes = berserker mode.

00:40 - God, this has to be my favorite OP ever to be almost completely without motion. I think there's just a second or so of movement aside from the initial eyes opening.

02:00 - I love this character already! She's like Stellar, without the angst side dish of suck.

03:05 - NAME DROP! Guy sounds like he was a big old important retainer in the old world...

03:40 - Ah, what a deliciously delivered threat. Too bad he'll probably never get to cash in on it... Gotta see who this guy's VA is...

04:00 - There is something up with ripples in this episode. Too deliberate, the shot right after the OP end and the opening shot right after the episode title appearance... Also, no mistake that the fact that this liquid is blood red is going to add layers to whatever analogy is going on here...

04:45 - what I really like about Sophita is that she won't attack an enemy who doesn't want to fight her. It's rare to see someone so immersed in bloodlust who has such a solid concept of what a meaningful battle actually is.

05:30 - "Because fighting is living"

07:10 - I'll assume that thing sticking up in the sand that just decayed was a building/machine, because, if not, then that's the first time we've seen a natural object be ruined.

07:40 - First deliberate shot of the series to focus on Casshern's sword sheath. Also, it has been just over five full minutes since the last musical track played. Five minutes of an action anime, with no music.

08:10 - Speaking of things that get hot. Someobdy get some Rule 34 on Sophita uploaded to Hentai Traders, STAT!

08:25 - "We'll never understand each other."

10:00 - This guy. Agenda. Don't understand it.

11:00 - You could fill an entire hentai volume with some of the sexually charged phrases they have in this episode so far. Love Sophita's happily surprised, "You're hard!"

11:10 - Just noticed, both of these two are left handed.

12:05 - Yeah, that's right. He's got the backstory!

12:35 - Agenda. Understood. This guy made me laugh, in a positive way.

12:55 - This is very strange, as Casshern speaks as if he knows who this guy is. But hasn't he said he has no memories?

14:20 - Paging, Doctor Kevorkian. Bring your sharpest instruments and some kickass swordsmanship to Room 12. Paging Doctor Kevorkian

14:25 - more than one ripple at a time. Although the source is unknown, the opening image of the episode comes back vividly, the first sound that of the sword sending out a single ripple despite the sword remaining motionless, as if sheer emotion driving through the metal caused that single ripple to ring out. Then the first scene with Casshern opens with a single droplet sound and an ensuing ripple(but why two?), source unknown. And now this scene ends with two ripples heading toward the rocky shore where the two characters stand together.

14:45 - Well, you know what? Looks like everyone who said they'd be able to stop the Ruin if they devoured Casshern has solid reason for those beliefs.

15:50 - Can't pass the night peacefully. Metaphors as heavy as they've been all episode, is there any reason to hesitate reading sexual connotations into this late-night romp?

17:25 - Ripples. Count 'em.

17:35 - "Because that's what you want."

17:55 - You counting those ripples?

18:10 - Penetration has been achieved. But I have a bad feeling about this for Sophita... maybe because she's not wearing any protection?

18:55 - Wow. Unbelievably awesome stuff. Succinct and unfiltered and great. Casshern is able to find solace in this small control over his destructive powers, even though he admits that it's because she didn't have any real killing intent in her.

19:08 - I'm counting those ripples, and I'm surprised. This one seemed extra thick, almost as if two had become one... 08:25 denied.

20:00 - "Your feelings still got through"

20:15 - "You tried to save me while you fought"

20:48 - Three ripples? Three? One quickly following the other and the innermost much slower. I'm at a loss for this one, but all I can think of is Luna. Casshern's first scene had a double ripple too, right?

21:15 - Casshern smiles.

21:35 - Again, only two ripples as she makes her exit amidst drifts of ruin.

21:50 - "I learned of one life...in this... world" +1 that, folks, = 2. And I'm not counting Friender because where the fuck is he this episode?

End thoughts - Excellent episode. Best blend of action and thought so far, I feel. The fights were downright beautiful, and it's the first time we've had battle between opponents of equivalent strength. As far as I can tell, not a single of the three main people in this episode died, (although maybe Sophita's disappearing into a breeze of Ruin flakes symbolizes her death) Only beef is that Casshern confronted someone who displayed knowledge of him and didn't bother to ask him about the whole Luna thing. Sophita is wicked hot. Tell me I didn't read too much sexual inneundo into this thing? Also, hell, I think the guy who taught me to study film would be pretty pleased that I caught that ripple analogy so early on. Amazing what you can get out of a course stuying Westerns... which reminds me, lack of background music. I think I counted 5 tracks (Sophita's theme being repeated included, OP and ED not included).

Looking forward to a fluid re-watch of this episode... Might even get some things out of it that are just impossible from stopping so damn much (i swear, every time i do one of these blow-by-blows, it takes a goddamn hour, at least... why do i write so much?)

Episode preview thoughts: Angst girl, loli girl, Friender, revelations, oh my. You want backstory? Looks like it's a comin'

Reaction to others: I think Ruin is specific to robots in this series, but, as Bud pointed out, it is essentially the same thing that all humans encounter in aging.

Looked into Sophita's name (btw, someone referring to themselves in the third person like that, so much, is considered a very girly way of speaking in Japanese.) but all I could find was Sophitia from Soul Calibur.

Munsu
Mon, 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Hmm.... So, you think the ruin is just a general term for the collapse of the robotic civilization and not a concrete term for any specific ailment? I kept thinking it was a nanobot or whatever infection because it seemed to affect the robots pretty fast and considering how dry many parts of that world look like, general rusting of metals should be slow indeed.
Not saying that. This disease that is affecting robots is just that they're rusting... they call that Ruin. The only reason this really affects them is because there is a lack of resources in the world to fix their "disease". So, I'm just saying that both humans and robots are being affected by this lack of resources... humans go hungry, robots get ruined. But in the end, they're both being affected by the same thing. So just as robots call their disease ruin, the world is in ruin... and the cause for the robots' demise is also causing the human's demise (but as pointed out before, the humans were already on a downfall even before this particular problem started).

If there were resources, robots wouldn't care about the ruin... they'd rust, but they would simply get fixed and go on with it.

But who knows, you may be right... maybe there's something that is attacking the robots per se. But I also think that the current state of the world (weather, etc.) is making the robots rust quicker than usual.

MFauli
Mon, 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Um, so far i thought this was a fantasy-series. So you actually think that those robots die because of nano robots killing them? I wouldnt dislike such a more scientific approach.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I think Sophita's ruin is coming near. She certainly displays a lot of emotion and she cried quite a bit. Wonderful episode, I love, love this series.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Not saying that. This disease that is affecting robots is just that they're rusting... they call that Ruin. The only reason this really affects them is because there is a lack of resources in the world to fix their "disease". So, I'm just saying that both humans and robots are being affected by this lack of resources...

If there were resources, robots wouldn't care about the ruin... they'd rust, but they would simply get fixed and go on with it.

was pretty sure that "the Doctor" in episode 2 said something about it being more than just rust and damage, but also that they're unable to repair or replace the damaged parts.

found it:
"Our bodies slowly begin to rust. They no longer accept spare parts or repairs. We can't build new robots either."

also, from episode 2.
"Something was spread over the world, and even the conscious-less earth... Well, take a look. With great vigor, everything turned into a lump of insanity.... This is the end result of a life-force without a consciousness. Not a single thing was completed after that. The ones who spread chaotic life across this world were the humans who created us."

It's not just that everything is breaking down. It seems to be a lot more. In fact, from the Story Teller, it looks like it's less about a lack of resources and more about a lack of something intrinsic and spiritual. Now, god only knows what that could be inside of a robot, but, since they cry, laugh, fall in love and all the rest, I guess it's not too much of a jump to say that there's some kind of 'spirit energy' thing missing.

And, sure, if you want to go and say spirtual energy or souls or whatever are "resources", then, fine, I can't argue with you then. But it's not just a lack of what we'd traditionally call 'resources'.

Munsu
Tue, 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
That's good then... I was having the impression that they simply had no spare parts to repair the robots.

But who knows, nothing you said there disproves that the main problem is the lack of resources. The reason they might not accept new parts is because they are rusty to begin with. They can't build new robots, well maybe because they don't have the resources to do so.

Or this can be just a case of the "chicken and the egg" dilemma. I'm not buying the spiritual energy or souls explanation at this moment in time. I'll deal with that when the time comes. For now, these robots are simply dilusional.

Along the same lines, the little girl in the first episode said she was repaired by the old guy if not mistaken...

RyougaZell
Tue, 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok, just watched the four episodes. Most amazing series. And I don't care if Sophita never appears again... she is officially one of my top characters ever as of now.

Pandadice
Tue, 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah Sophita was pretty awesome. Just watched episode 4, and I must say I'm really enjoying this series.

Idealistic
Wed, 10-29-2008, 02:07 AM
By the way, in case anyone missed it... the chick robot in this episode was called "Sophita". They clearly didn't mention her name enough during the episode, so you guys might have missed it.

Ok, as I was reading this, I was like wtf? So I went back and rewatched episode 3. I did not see this girl at all. Then I realized I didn't watch episode 4 yet. And then throughout the episode you hear Sophita's name 100 times. Then I said to myself, that Munsu guy, what a funny guy.

Anyways, I also agree Sophita is an awesome character.

animus
Thu, 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Wondering why Shinsen doesn't put both the Japanese and English karaoke in at the same time. At the moment they're alternating between each episode, English, to Japanese, then to English again, and etc.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-30-2008, 04:06 PM
I saw a live action movie which was called Casshern
is this the same? because that movie was really awesome!

Munsu
Thu, 10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Filler for min. character requirements...

I believe Casshern Sins is a remake of the old 70s series. There was also a related early 90s OVA (which was pretty good), but again was an alternate retelling. You don't need to watch the movie...ever. It was eye candy and little else.

RyougaZell
Fri, 10-31-2008, 12:16 AM
The 70's series had Casshern being the hero dude who fought evil robots. So... Sins isn't really a remake, more than rather a complete makeover and format.

masamuneehs
Sat, 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Episode 05 released by a group called AniStash
AniStash - Casshern Sins - Episode 5 (http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=15974)

Never heard of them and I think I'll probably just wait for Shinsen. They seem to have subbed a few episodes of season 3 of Zero Tsukaima, but it looks like they're relatively new and have yet to actually stick to any one series...

KitKat
Sat, 11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, I've just picked up this series, and I was pretty surprised and impressed with it so far. I think I was deterred at first because I'm not really into the "giant robot" anime genre, so when I hear robot my eyes usually glaze over and I click the back button. I was curious that this thread was getting so many posts though, so I gave it a try.

The way that the characters in each episode impact me emotionally reminds me a bit of Mushishi. All of them are so vividly different, and they're all a little bit heartbreaking in their own way. Poor Casshern, he's so confused, but he desperately wants to save them, and gets really down on himself when he can't. Everything about the world is so ruined and terrible, and yet it just adds to the beauty of this story. It reminds me of the quote from Kino's Journey: "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is." Some of those same themes are present here, I think.

As to the nature of the ruin, I'm very skeptical that there's anything natural about it. The minute any material is separated from a robot, it starts to crack and crumble. There's something about the 'consciousness' of the robots that slows it down, but once that is lost, they decay at abnormal speed. The advent of the ruin is also linked to a certain day, the day that Luna was killed. So, as far as I can tell, there was something unnatural unleashed upon the world that day that started it all. It might be a Matrix-type situation where the humans came up with the ruin as a weapon to fight against the robots. Maybe a bit far-fetched, but we don't know very much at the moment about the relationship between humans and robots.

Definitely going to keep following this one.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 11-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Shinsen 05 (http://www.mininova.org/get/1971071)

RyougaZell
Sun, 11-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Interesting episode... we finally get a little more background... at least from the pink haired girl... has her name been said yet?

And I actually started to think the episodes were not being showed in chronological order... because of Friender... how it acted as if not wanting to be near Casshern at the start (and taking into account it was not on ep 4) but then he just follows Casshern as if nothing happened... after saving the girl from the berserker Casshern...

masamuneehs
Mon, 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM
00:25 - the longest opening scene yet, and, well, it's chock full of info. Casshern didn't decide to kill Luna, and it almost seems as if he had no real choice. In this way most of his angst about it is generated because he doesn't have his memories and thinks that maybe, somehow, he willingly did it, willingly brought the Ruin on the world.

02:40 - Casshern is brought to tears by a huge mound of slag. As always, even without words we get the feeling that he's blaming himself for the destruction.

03:55 - Friender's inability to stay angry at a Casshern who is constantly torturing himself with guilt is likely a trend we're going to see in this show among characters.

05:45 - but the girl sure is trying... Seems to be the type that needs to have an enemy or someone to hate lest she suddenly have to go about doing something positive.

08:10 - Well, one thing for sure is that the Ruin was not some kind of instant apoclypse. The fact that Luna's protector died a slow death, in a world still filled with sunlight and trees, sure points to that, but... The fact that her Ruin started the moment Luna died...

09:00 - good stuff with the ruin starting in the fall and the first Ruin victim's death coming at sunset.

11:00 - And, of course, like most lazy, guilt-ridden people, Casshern says, "Hey, well, if I did a bad thing, just kill me!" Of course, only reactionary fools would take him up on this offer, since the clear thing to do is to make him redeem himself not just through dying, but trying to actively amend for his act until he dies.

12:40 - I'll say it only once. The head. Cut off the goddamn head. Slashing his body up with all those wild, shallow attacks might be a great way to take out frustration, but, as the guy said himself, it's not enough to kill him.

13:10 - Asimov's Third Law of Robotics kicks in. It came up last episode, as Casshern said he didn't "become unlike" himself when Sophita stabbed him because there was no killing intent (also, matches with his massacre of the weak robots at the church in episode 2, since even though there was no way for them to kill him, they certainly meant to). But I'm still having trouble with Episode 3, where Casshern seemed to be content to let Friender kill him... HAve to re-watch that one later.

13:20 - His eyes aren't clouded over, but, that face... Artistic inconsistency, or?

14:50 - Everybody seems to realize that Casshern is unable to let himself be killed, and so he does the only smart thing he can, just walk away.

15:35 - Spare parts that haven't been Ruined? Tell us more!

16:20 - Hope. He says it'll come if their bodies get better (aka, the Ruin stops), but, of course, one can imagine that the Ruin is simply caused by the lack of hope in the world (Luna).

17:25 - hmm... somehow this episode has really felt like they're holding back on showing the violence... I can only wonder why, but... personally it's not something that i like to see.

20:10 - Well, guess those fears of toning down the violence were a bit premature.

21:45 - Evil twin brother? Well, sure, it seems to be in a ton of robot stories like these, so why not...

Looks like we'll get a little more back story, as well as an opponent who can really stand toe to toe with Casshern next episode...

Somehow I wasn't really feeling this one all that much.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
12:40 - I'll say it only once. The head. Cut off the goddamn head. Slashing his body up with all those wild, shallow attacks might be a great way to take out frustration, but, as the guy said himself, it's not enough to kill him.

She didn't try to cut off his head because for some reason, she didn't have an intent to kill at that point. When she tried to run him through, she obviously planned to kill him at that point because Casshern's suit reacted.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Damn, Casshern is so fucking awesome, everytime he runs berserk I feel excitement.
I love it when his ventail closes... it tells me that the next scenes are going to be fucking awesome
I totally like characters like him, who are extremely strong and powerfull, but do not know when it's time to stop and go on a killing frenzy.. not even sparing the lives of little "kids"

Uzumaki
Tue, 11-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Did anyone see the extended preview for the next episode? looks fkn amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2W05xJ76o

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Did anyone see the extended preview for the next episode? looks fkn amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2W05xJ76o

While this is most undeniably amusing, the trolling is simply juvenile, at best.

It's good to see though, because, unless I'm missing something, the old Casshern was quite a bit different from Sins. Makes me want to give extra imaginary internet kudos to the Sins Projects folks for cooking up this awesome, darker series we're enjoying now.

Inazuma
Tue, 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Guys ? Am I alone seeing some kind of Guren Lagaan like pattern ?

Slow start, but amazing series with growing potential all along

Kraco
Tue, 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Gurren Lagann didn't have a particularly slow start... Nor did this one, for that matter. This seems to belong to the risky class of stories where the end is first laid before your eyes and then you start to rewind it backwards, figuratively speaking, as we don't have even flashbacks that much. Great many amnesia stories in general aren't like this, because the story doesn't really seem to move forward much, so the emphasis lies fully in the past and the amnesia is not just a character trait. It's more or less a dead world so it makes sense there's not much forward movement, but I still like how this isn't any flashback fest. I never liked those very much. But I like how this show proceeds with Casshern meeting random denizens and learns something of himself either directly or indirectly.

KrayZ33
Tue, 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Guys ? Am I alone seeing some kind of Guren Lagaan like pattern ?

Slow start, but amazing series with growing potential all along

???

Sry but I tried to find out for like 5-10 minutes, why you said "Gurren Lagann like pattern"

I can't see anything in Casshern Sins which is even a *bit* similiar to Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann "grows" exponentially (or how I like to call it "the rise of awesomeness")

1st episode: Fight 1 Robot with a small robot
2nd episode: FIght 3 Robots with a small and big robot
3rd episode: Fight a Special robot with a combined robot
26th episode: Fight 100000 enemies + 2 huge "wtf are these things?" with 50000 allies and a fucking huge battle-cruiser in space
27th episode: Fight a God-like being with a God-like robot, using planets and whole galaxys as weapons and punching balls.

and on the other hand Casshern... who is like an invincible (sometimes emo-)berserker who seems to meet an enemy strong enough to defeat him for the first time.

I don't know what you are refering too at the moment

Gurren Lagann is your typical "rise of a Hero" story, while Casshern seems to be more something like the guy from Kaze no Stigma...
extremely strong and overpowered through the whole story, but mental problems etc.

NeoBear
Sat, 11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
FRIENDER TAKE WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL ROFLCOPTOR!!!!!!

here is a link to the oav its 4 parts for anybody who cares still its a totaly differnt story

also this first link is a sub vid quality kind meh but not bad
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/51810118/Casshan%3A+Robot+Hunter?tab=summary

another link this one is in (shudders) english and the video is better its not that the dub is bad its just everyone sounds like they are in there 40s
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3705996/Casshan__Robot_Hunter

Pandadice
Sat, 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM
oh, thanks for the ovas man. lol, I saw someone had posted in here and thought episode 6 had been released.. but it hasn't. >.<.

NeoBear
Sat, 11-08-2008, 11:22 PM
um i do have episode 6 but i didnt think anybody would want this group

http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=16172
by AniStash

Pandadice
Mon, 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
no thanks <.<. I'll wait for Shinsen.

Munsu
Sat, 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Guess we're all waiting for the Shinsen release.

Just watched episode 5, and it seems like there were some truths to all the theories here. Certainly there's a resources problem, but there's also some sort of disease being alluded to more directly, especially when we see Cassherns first casuality. But then we see that there are some parts that are still prestine (maybe because they haven't been exposed to the environment) that would enable these robots to get fixed.

So what I'm getting at is that there's certianly a resources problem, had there been resources around the robots would need not fear this ruin. Just the same there's some sort of supernatural thing or disease that is causing this corrosion of the environment to spread quicker.

Pandadice
Sat, 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM
7 is out by AniStash. I wonder why shinsen is taking so long..

Kraco
Sat, 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM
At least they moved a little:

Episode 6 - Shinsen (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_06_%5B720p%5D%5B4E48C0D2%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - -

Edit: Well, well. Obviously this new guy knew something, but revealed very little (although I deem he was lying or simply guessing when he claimed he would be able to and would cure the ruin if Casshern dies). I guess he and the laughing mystery lady must have been the King's other liutenants, but it seems like Casshern indeed received something as a "gift" from Luna when he slew her. The other dude didn't look too good after the fight so likely the liutenants weren't all immortal (including ruin resistance) to begin with. An easy guess would be Casshern's immortality and memory loss are thus connected, and also connected to Luna. Like Casshern, we need to learn more about Luna.

A great fight in this episode, in any case. Even if no special powers were displayed. I was expecting something since the other dude suggested he knows their powers thoroughly, unlike Casshern.

Munsu
Mon, 11-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Episode 7:
http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_07_%5B720p%5D%5BB705914C%5D.mkv.torrent

RyougaZell
Mon, 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Uh... so this woman was a robot? I mean... ouch at the fall...
And it would explain how she managed to build the bell so fast... not mentioning placing it above the tower... before Casshern left.

And next episode... another woman? wow... Casshern is being a playboy =P

Munsu
Mon, 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
In my opinion, this was the shittiest episode of the series so far.

RyougaZell
Mon, 11-17-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree. There was nothing really worth remembering.
Just a woman trying to get on Casshern's pants... err... I mean... make a bell.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I loved this episode. There is just so much despair in every respect. A woman (presumably a robot, I don't know how else she took that fall) was so shaken by the silence of the ruin she just wanted to ring a bell. It's these little things that so artfully set the scene of this show.

Everyone is just so hopeless.

Death13a
Fri, 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM
AniStash
Ep8 avi http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=16627
Ep8 mkv http://www.anirena.com/viewtracker.php?action=download&id=16610

Amazing episode I really liked English songs and Casshern fighting.

Lucifus
Sat, 11-22-2008, 05:43 PM
That was my favorite episode yet. You just gotta love such a perfect compilation of music and animation.

masamuneehs
Mon, 11-24-2008, 02:34 AM
i thought the bell ringing episode was awesome. maybe not awesome, but frighteningly both depressing and hope inspiring all at the same time.

the sexual tone in this show is absurdly high. or is that just me?

episode 8 was interesting too. And, well hell, I was so sure those were swords on his hips. But in the fight scene, he used them almost as engines to propel himself. That was certainly unexpected... I'd just sort of gotten accustomed to heroes having swords/melee weapons as their super awesome hidden power that comes out around episode 12 or so...

and, yeah, wow. i'm usually a big hater of Japanese singing English only songs, but the final scene was done so well and it was really pretty moving.

i don't know what to say. this show is golden.

Munsu
Mon, 11-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Shinsen 8:
http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_08_%5B720p%5D%5B6250DC2B%5D.mkv.torrent

Kraco
Mon, 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Vaasa looked a bit different the last time I visited the town...

A most excellent episode. One of my favorites, though I have to say it only works so well because it was preceded by the earlier eps that built the hopeless world stage and thus the woman singing hope had an impact. Who knows why a combination of someone visibly singing (not just background music) and someone fighting at the same time can be so poweful. Worked even better in this one than Macross Frontier.

RyougaZell
Tue, 11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
The animation when Janis was singing was superb. Heck... they even matched lip movements... something you don't see everyday on non-movie animations

Pandadice
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:56 AM
awman, this episode was amazing! that ending fight with her singing was so good. lol, I was like "what the heck?" at the beginning when she broke out in song, and I thought it was gonna be some like lame amv episode or something. which it kinda was, but not completely, and even though it kinda was it wasn't lame.

anyways, awesome episode.

MFauli
Thu, 11-27-2008, 04:10 AM
kraco, i actually even thought, that this episode&#180;s woman looked and sounded a lot like Sheryl from MF.

Well, i didnt like the episode that much..didnt bring us news about Casshern. Only interesting thing was that Ringo was able to cry.

Death13a
Thu, 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I can't wait for Ringo to start singing.

Yukimura
Sun, 11-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Casshern SINS - 09 (1280x720 H264) - [Shinsen] (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_09_%5B720p%5D%5B66FFF09B%5D.mkv.torrent)

Casshern SINS - 09 (XviD) - [Shinsen] (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_09_%5BD85C611D%5D.avi.torrent
)

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
goddamn this show is rough on the old ticker sometimes...

this episode first raised my eyebrows when Bolton (he even got a name!) didn't just die, but had a scene for about a full minute with just him and Nico. It had been awhile since they focused so much on an older, battle robot, but they pulled it off pretty well in this episode.

of course, Nico is just not fair. You take a cute, childish robot and then fully cross her with the retards (and, let's face it, every minor character in this show, with the exception of Old Man, is either crazy, a child, or both).... The setup was just too easy to pull on the old heart strings with the ending...

And we got a fair amount of info about the world after Luna. This is certainly the first time I remember people talking about "Luna" (a woman who can stop the Ruin) being alive. Also, and added to by the next episode preview, it looks like Dio is organizing... You have to wonder what for, and also if that woman who he seems to be serving is the "new Luna" or what...

It was another excellent episode.

Pandadice
Tue, 12-02-2008, 03:10 AM
yeah, one thing I noticed was the time they gave for how long the ruins been going. they said what, like she got dumped there at least 2 years ago, which was right after Luna's death.

lol, towards the beginning.. with them falling through the top, landing in the flower girl's flower bed, then being greeted and woken up by the flower girl.. it almost seemed straight out of ff7 :p. well, just that first part reminded me of it. the rest of the time I was too focused on the story and plot development. possible living Luna.. the plot thickens!

RyougaZell
Thu, 12-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Shit... I sweat I almost cried... Nico TT___TT

Damn awesome episode. Few series that have a 'one character per episode focus' manage to be this good.

KrayZ33
Fri, 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
the episodes get a bit boring..

they should quit always showing us a different ruin victim every episode and get the plot moving.

I think we all understand now, that casshern feels very sorry and that the world is totally destroyed etc.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-07-2008, 11:11 PM
the armies of darkness surround
Shinsen - Casshen SINS - episoe 10 - mkv torrent (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_10_%5B720p%5D%5B225EA1E8%5D.mkv.torrent)

Names (because I like doing this sort of thing):

Luna - Spanish / Italian - The moon

Lyuze - Czech - The rose
This one is tough, because, first of all, "l" and "r" are the same letter in Japanese.
Other possibilities:
English - Lose
English - Ruse
The theme of 'flowers' is pretty big in the series (the OP is called 'Blue Flowers') especially with how Ruin seems to wilt everything. But considering her backstory, 'lose' would make sense for her as well.

Sophita - quite likely Sophitia - Greek - 'Wise Goddess'
An ironic nickname? I can't find much at all for Sophita...

Dio - Italian - God

Ringo - Japanese - Apple
At least, that would make the most sense... especially as she's paired up with one of the only other re-occuring characters to have a Japanese sounding name ("Ohji = old man / uncle")

Friender and Braiking Boss are pretty simple...

Of course, the one name I can't figure out is Casshern's.
edit - after watching episode 10, i had to look into Leda a little bit...
But since I don't see any swans around... and since SHE seems more like a seducer than anyone else around her, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what to do with her...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leda_(mythology)

edit - wow. a whole episode dedicated to developing the bad guys. this show is so freaking awesome like that. Dune was absolutely badass, and his fight with Leda (and to a lesser extent, with Dio) was awesome.

The bad guys in this show are some pieces of work. Dio is clearly suffering from the Luigi / Protoman / Sabato brother-envy-syndrome. I loved how they did the part where Dune mistakes him for Casshern, because you just KNOW it's going to make him so angry. Yet, at the same time as he's grossly stuck on his insecurities (which let us relate to him far more than we ever could with the average anime villain) he is observant enough to see how these things are and that he has to try to overcome that.

Leda? Manipulative as all hell. It was interesting to see her struggle in the fight, because even though she saved Dio from Casshern a few episodes back, you got the sense in this episode that she might not actually be stronger than he is. Also, her internal monolouges leave no doubt that she is using Dio for her own ends... but her affection for him... maybe it's still partly real? Or all a ruse? Time will tell.

This show is made of gold.

Kraco
Mon, 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
A good ep. Though right now it's hard to see how this fellow (and her chick) could really threaten Casshern. Dio still hasn't healed fully; how long has it been since their fight? Casshern would have healed such a wound in no time. Plus I don't think he is as good at fighting, either. They would really need to use guile to even attempt to beat him. Not that I'd have anything against guile, of course, but they were just building a useless ragtag army in this episode.

The flowers being ruined was an interesting piece of detail. It makes it look like the ruin affects also living things, not only robots. The human in the beginning of the series was ruined enough, alright, but human have all kind of diseases even without any special universal ruins, so it's of little significance. I guess it's some super entropy plague, then.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't forget that Dio beat Casshern in their last fight. The only reason Dio got wounded is because he got blindsided by the vengeful sister-love girl.

Kraco
Wed, 12-10-2008, 02:47 AM
The fact Casshern wanted to be beaten, at least in the beginning, might have affected the flow of the fight somewhat to give a twisted image. However, should they meet another time, I don't think things would anymore go quite like that. And Casshern gains more and more combat skills each passing day with his endless fights.

RyougaZell
Sat, 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Casshern's blood changed Luna...

could it be that he didn't really kill her, but free her from whatever she had to do, and since Casshern 'gained' that power... maybe being a pillar of the world, and doesn't know about it, the world is being ruined... and Luna really is alive somewhere else...

Munsu
Sat, 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM
11 by Shinsen:
http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_11_%5B720p%5D%5B7E4576C5%5D.mkv.torrent

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-15-2008, 05:59 AM
dunno... just couldn't really get into this episode 11...

Kraco
Mon, 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree. The robot dog isn't that deep a character in the end, as a main character. Good enough in the background but when you remove Casshern and just leave the dog, and then introduce a bunch of totally new characters but not anything really concrete to the greater plot, it's hard to make it really meaningful.

MFauli
Mon, 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I loved episode 11.
It was nice to see some humans again, and the leader was awsome. What i didnt like was how easily he stopped Casshern&#180;s attacks...afaik Casshern is strongest when in this berserk-mode. weird.

Though i really want to see some more continuous parts of the main-story.

Pandadice
Mon, 12-15-2008, 01:31 PM
but guys, isn't the depth of the characters enough to pretty much render any kind of under-laying "plot" unnecessary?

Kraco
Mon, 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
This isn't really a slice-of-life series and you can't be talking about the depth of the valley of a female character, so a plot is needed to build that depth. But like I said in my previous post, how much depth can you give a dog..? Pretty much any robot or human in this show gets some marginal depth by default from the ruin, which they all share (though I'm still not sure it directly affects humans), but that's it.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-15-2008, 07:31 PM
i'd actually disagree that the under-laying plot and advancement isn't as important as the characters in this show. Sure, the characters and their interactions are important. Really, they're the driving point of each episode.

But the one thing about this show is that it's not just about 'dudes waiting to die in a post-Apocylptic world'. Almost everybody has a goal for the future. There's a lot of stuff from the past that needs to be settled.

I totally agree though that this episode, while it did a good job showing how much the relationship between Casshern and Friender has come since episode 2, was hard to get into because it focused so much on Friender. Also, personally I couldn't really get into Jin's character too much because he was pretty much a "what you see is what you get" character who isn't going to change his tune (I found Gido much more fascinating, and even the one robot bandit leader who said, "fighting among robots is pointless").

kyubisrage
Thu, 12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I loved episode 11.
It was nice to see some humans again, and the leader was awsome. What i didnt like was how easily he stopped Casshernīs attacks...afaik Casshern is strongest when in this berserk-mode. weird.

Though i really want to see some more continuous parts of the main-story.

Well he was stuck under a gigantic piece of w.e it was.. Im sure he was a bit weak..

Kraco
Sun, 12-21-2008, 03:54 AM
It's never too late to kill Casshern, so let's try again today!

Episode 12 - SHS (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_12_%5B720p%5D%5BB9DBB6F2%5D.mkv.torrent)

Inazuma
Sun, 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Casshern, the depressed gun.

Back for more killing and depressing dialogues.

Kraco
Sun, 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM
This wasn't a very interesting episode in my opinion. They really should try, for a change, to have arcs spanning two eps. It would already make the character-to-die-this-time feel more important.

kenren
Mon, 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I liked this episode though, mainly because of Margo. To me, Margo is definitely an interesting character and I do agree with Kraco about having arcs spanning two episodes :)

Pandadice
Mon, 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I really liked this episode. This show is just so great visually.

lol, when I first saw Margo I like he was a girl, but then I listened the the voice, and it was definitely a male doing it. SO I was really confused, until he said Boku wa or whatever, and then I was like "okay, it's a guy".

lol, of course those robots that attacked them would be angry and just want ruin to finish them of. They had no HANDS! they couldn't hold anything! all they culd do was fight and kill.. :\

KrayZ33
Tue, 12-23-2008, 07:38 AM
This is getting so boring.

It's not that the episodes are bad or something.. it really is a bit sad when the new character dies in the end, but it's always the same....

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
i really liked 12. good character, and i liked the little twist with the opening scene coming at the chronological end of the episode.

the flashback to Braiking Boss' era basically confirmed that Braiking Boss is "the rambling old guy" in episode 2. He only appears for a flash, and it has been a long time since that episode, but i'm about as sure as can be...

i absolutely don't mind the stand alone episodes. there's still an overall arc going on with Dio, Leda and even annoying pink haired girl, and that's enough for me. in a lot of ways, this feels a lot like what an epic journey would be like. you know how it got started, and some things relating to that origin and toward the goal come up from time to time, but, for the most part, it's composed of many small, unrelated bits and pieces, things that become as much of the epic as the origin and destination.

i do, however, wonder how the hell Margo painted those walls so high up...

edit - and, yeah, the preview for the next episode has the dude from episode 2 in it, right above the caption for the next episode. Leda and a new robot who looks to be from Braiking Boss's old elite team are there too.

"The Past Will Rise Before You"

man, this show really has some almost absurdly heavy episode titles...

edit again - also, from the very first second of the episode, it looks like Ryuze's sister was the very last person to face Casshern before he got to Luna. And there's a double ripple (single droplet sound though)

Pandadice
Sat, 12-27-2008, 10:36 PM
hey, shinsen release of 13 is out.

[shinsen-subs] Casshern Sins 13 torrent mkv (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_13_%5B720p%5D%5B7AF31866%5D.mkv.torrent)

[shinsen-subs] Casshern Sins 13 torrent avi (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_13_%5B4401FDC0%5D.avi.torrent)

-

well, talk about an awesome episode! I knew something was up with that robot when he came in.. tons of story development, and a new ending. can't wait for next week ^^

Munsu
Sat, 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Just caught up... really liked the Terminator-like tune in episode 11. Episode 13 was really good and a revealing episode. Ringo is an interesting character, probably is an advanced model of the Casshern-series in terms of the goal for reproducing robots. I wonder if she can grow and how the ruin affects her.

Would it be possible that she may be the offspring of such an experiment? Though the Doctor called Casshern and the others failures. Maybe there's a connection between her and Luna that is unknown.

masamuneehs
Thu, 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
this show is the bomb. I thought episode 13 was excellent, and not only did we learn a lot, but there are still a lot more questions still out there.

I'm interested to know where that third 'shining' robot who Leda was talking to came from. Also, one of the most heavily stressed aspects of this episode was about how Ringo clearly is different from Casshern and the rest of the robots... Despite this, her Ruin is clearly quite advanced, and even though Dio before mentioned how even he would some day die, one of the big questions remains about when (and why) she was made. The fact that she's in the scene before the OP also makes it seem like she was present when Casshern encountered Luna...

This also all explains a lot about why Dio is so focused on "competing" with Casshern...

people complained about them, but I think the independent stories really have helped me get attached to the central cast of this show. We got to see a lot (if not all) of the process that Casshern talked about when he told Lyuze how he is different now.

Braiking Boss's smugness all throughout ruining everybody's day was almost the epitome of awesome bastardom.

I love how this show is very heavy on symbols and motifs for themes. Too many other animes just bandy about whatever little message/flourish the creator thinks is cool, with most shounens stopping to discuss them in diatribe. There's still some kind of subtlety to this show, and it works very well with the stark contrasts (the "Oji! Smile!" moment really comes to mind) and continually stone-serious approach to the dismal story and atompshere.

Munsu
Sat, 01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
14 Shinsen:
http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_14_%5B720p%5D%5B7AE5DA86%5D.mkv.torrent

Inazuma
Sun, 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Awesome, watch it. Unlike any other eps so far.

Kraco
Sun, 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Did Casshern just get a girlfriend?

Munsu
Sun, 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Great episode. I wonder if Lyuze will be sticking around for good now... making the Casshern party himself, her, and Friender. Next episode seems like it'll be the return of Dune. I wonder if he'll get killed or play the role Lyuze has been playing up to the last episode, or maybe also join Casshern's party. Maybe he'll recognize her from the past too seeing as her sister was part of Luna's entourage.

Looks like the ED we had for episode 13 was a special one to mark the halfway point of the series, which also was the climax of the first portion of the series. Episode 14 came with a different ED.

Pandadice
Mon, 01-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Dune being the "shinigami" fellow? (I didn't/don't watch next episode previews)

dude, I wanted him to join Cassherns party since like as soon as I saw him. he's such an awesome character.

I definitely enjoyed this episode. But i wonder it Lyuze will still have that grudge she started with against casshern in the next episode.. or if it will be gone completely.

masamuneehs
Mon, 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
great episode. Finally got it through my head that Dio is the dude with the long hair. I didn't think he'd look so different with his helmet off. feel sorta like a dumbass...

I love the irony in Braiking Boss being the one to just say to Casshern's face, "Look, if you don't fight, more people will die. Just suck it up." He does talk a bit too much, but I like his character. Way different than what you'd expect from a deposed despot...

Leda... Could it just simply be that she's backing Dio because she thinks he's the easiest to manipulate? I think she just wants him to kill Casshern, so she can kill him, so she can be immortal, or something along those lines. We've already seen she's not as strong in combat as either those two, and Braiking Boss' comments about her seemed to indicate that she's always sorta had her own agenda...

Boy there was sure a lot of graphic death in this episode. Christ. The massacre was just brutal in parts. I think they get away with a lot because it's "not humans" that are being killed like that, but, man...

Again, Casshern and Dio fight was pretty good again. I don't even mind when they do the "so fast you can't see" budget saving stuff that I thought was played out way back in DBZ times...

the scenes that got to me the most though had to be with Oji and Ringo. The emotion in that guy's voice when he's desperately looking for her, and his relieved, but almost wistful praise for her at the end of the episode... Don't think we're at the end of that story yet either...

Luna, or an imposter? I think seeing for himself might be the only thing that can bring Dune back to somewhere close to sane... I'm going with Imposter...

really like the new ED. Glad they kept "Blue Flowers" for the OP though. Something about that song always just gets me in the perfect mood to watch an episode of thise show. also, any idea who the girl lying near Lyuze is, in the ED? It almost looks like Leda, but that can't be right... Her sister who is... dead...?

masamuneehs
Sat, 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Razor Blades Comin' Out of Every Orifice

Shinsen Subs - Casshern Sins - episode 15 - mkv torrent (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_15_%5B720p%5D%5B5B48491E%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Old ghosts:

Episode 16 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_16_%5B720p%5D%5B39371E2F%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - -

Braiking Boss certainly travels a lot. Dio got some pretty good development or at least food for development. His performance was quite low in the beginning of the episode, which is somewhat understandable since he has been getting beaten by Casshern time after time - or at least hasn't won. Even Leda's words surely turn into poison after a while.

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 01-25-2009, 04:08 AM
Interesting to learn that Ringo is a human. Just a few episodes back she was shown with rust on her forehead, presumably pointing to her ruin.

MFauli
Sun, 01-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Dio totally disappointed. Losing to someone else than Casshern, sigh. At least he returned the favor, but still...without Leda he&#180;d be dead.

And Ringo is probably another human-robot-hybrid i guess, or whats e with the rust TheHereticAzazek mentions.

masamuneehs
Mon, 01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
something about the pacing in this episode just felt off to me... didn't really get too enthralled with the two throw away bad guys, and most of Dio's stuff was old hat revisited. we weren't really told what exactly motivated him so much at the end of the episode.

what i did find interesting was Leda saving Dio's life. And, of course, we have those conspicuously left out words she whispers to him before he passes out. I'd always written her down as a "manipulator with an agenda", but could it be possible that she actually cares about Dio after all? (I'm still saying 'no', she's just using him)

Oji's backstory was good too. That guy's voice is just wicked. It's so gravely and somber. I could totally see that guy doing narration... And, for my opinion, I thought the fact that they found Ringo inside of a human and robot meant she was somehow the long sought after hybrid. Otherwise the only thing that explains her robot parts is that Oji has had to do some major surgery on her over the years to keep her alive...

I have absolutely zero idea what is going on with Braiking Boss. It feels like he's almost trying to redeem himself, but he certainly isn't openly showing any remorse or anything like that. But the fact that the former tyrant who brought the world to ruin has been basically trying to encourage his former subordinates to become stronger (and to have emotion?!?) is a head-scratcher.

Still, he looks so freaking evil.

It's looking like it won't end well for Lyuze... I'm penciling her in for a tragic, Ringo/Casshern-saving death, with a chance of Luna resurrection if a happy ending is in the cards for this show.

They've arrived at the sea...

Kraco
Sun, 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
A foolish dream:

Episode 17 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_17_%5B720p%5D%5B8626FFF0%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - - - -

Leda development more than in all the eps so far. She's actually a pretty tragic character, I suppose, and her personality makes now much more sense to me. Apparently she was a robot procreation experiment and it didn't go well, leaving her exceedingly dejected.

It was a pretty moving scene where the three robot kids died. Considering they had no history beyond this episode in the series, I find it remarkable I felt it moving.

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, a real good episode, because Leda's the consistent character who we knew the least about after Ringo and Oji's backstories were revealed. (Luna and Braiking Boss don't quite count, as I feel their backstories will come at the very, very end). I think Kraco hit it right on the nose.

the kids were pretty touching, but the thing that got me is when Ringo and Oji had to part ways. Somehow a sad Ringo makes me sad...

Dio's "I'm going to get some air" interests me, because part of me thinks it was done solely so Leda could fight Casshern for a bit, to develop her more as a threat (because she did pretty damn well, I'd say). If Dio had been there when Casshern showed, it would all have been different. But another part of me thought that maybe they had Dio leave at that moment because he didn't want to have to see what Leda was going to do to those kids.

Still, the two of them are really a perfect match. And, yeah, you almost can't help but sympathize with them even though they're the bad guys...

So, if I'm getting this straight, some now dead scientists created Luna, along with the three siblings who would protect her code/whatever That Rock is. Later they would try to have reproducing robots, the Leda, Casshern and Dio project. However, I thought we'd been told that Oji was part of that project? Did he maybe only just make them? I can't see it being possible that Leda's maker wasn't involved in her child-bearing test... Or am I remembering something incorrectly here?

The staggering amount of flashbacks to Lyuze's past and shots of her sitting naked in the next episode preview, along with her ominous foreshadowing a few episodes back cast a dark cloud over the next episode...

Kraco
Sun, 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
A long dream:

Episode 18 - Shinsen (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_18_%5B720p%5D%5B5B2DE995%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - -

A totally redundant episode. I guess they are running out of real stuff to make episodes of.

Pandadice
Sun, 02-08-2009, 10:38 PM
so i just watched episode 18, and it was fantastic.

it was great to get an episode based on Lyuze's character development. it was nice to get back to the "hey you killed my sister!" feeling she had at the beginning, because i had been wondering what happened to that. but then it progressed and she came to realize that she's got a thing for Casshern, and so even though he killed her sister, she loves him.

awman, i loved that urban setting they threw in. with the basketball court, and the graffiti on the walls. it looked very nice. i'm a bit confused over what the deal with that guy was though. he just came up and started touching her, and then they were like in bed, and she killed him, and it made me go like "uhh...... <.<?".

and again they brought back the song from towards the beginning of the series. i like that song, and i like that they're bringing it back. i was lookign for a download for it, but couldn't find one, so does anyone know where i can get it?

Lucifus
Sun, 02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I also greatly appreciated and enjoyed this episode, redundant though it may be.

It was a treat and pleasure to see Lyuze's character development. The urban settings was a hell of a nice choice as well.

Your not alone on that scene with the guy either Panda, it also left me scratching my head going wtf. LoLs.

I also second Pandadice's request, someone should certainly link that song. =)

KitKat
Mon, 02-09-2009, 03:10 AM
This was a pretty bizarre episode, but the story is progressing pretty quickly, so I thought it was nice to have one week that was a bit of a breather, before we get into the final story-end arc which I'm hoping is going to be really intense.

Masa, have you been following the use of water ripples still? In this episode they had a wave of darkness spread out from child-Lyuze like a water ripple which I thought was an interesting variation.

MFauli
Mon, 02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
strange episode :-/

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
this episode was like a re-cap episode wrapped inside of a character development segment. there wasn't much new stuff for us to get out of it, but it presented Lyuze's character very well and gave really clear insight into her mind (which is all sorts of fucked up)

i really liked the part early on where Casshern "kills her" but, of course, doesn't, and she starts to realize she has feelings for him.

Ripples. i have been keeping notice of them, but they happen so many times that it's almost impossible to read too much into all of them. in fact, there's almost never a "splash" even when there's real water (notice the exception to this, where child Lyuze is swallowed in the suddenly churning sea in the beach flashback after the OP). it's almost always a ripple... for the most part, I'd guessed that most of the ripples are people's "impacts", and that the surface is the world.

One of the ripples from this episode did stand out to me though, and it was in the scene right before Lyuze rises out of the red water (at which point everything turns blue and we hit the real recap flashback). Of course, it caught my eye because the ripple preceded her emerging from the water, as though whatever impact caused the ripple also 'birthed' Lyuze in that current form.

as for the 'dark ripple from child Lyuze', if t's the one where she's in the field after her sister does "Guess who?", it actually originates from the ground a bit away from Lyuze, spreading over the field along with the rain clouds. i believed this was supposed to represent the sudden appearance of Braiking Boss and the start of the war, which brings to an end their happy time as children (Lyuze briefly reappears in the same scene, in a suddenly barren patch of land, all grown up and wearing a uniform similar to what we saw Dune wore when he was protecting Luna) and ultimately takes Lyuze's sister away

on the "suddenly, creepy black guy" scene. it caught me off guard too. i didn't know what to make of it at all either. i suppose it has to do with Lyuze yearning for something special with Casshern, but instead going off with something far less satisfying (being his comrade instead of his lover), which only makes her more upset and confused and also causes her to add to the destruction in the world.

finally, as to "why did we get this episode?" i can't think of anything too good. the reused footage stinks of "budget trouble". the fact that all this happened now, in just one episode, makes me think somebody messed up with planning. but a part of me also wants to think that this is what was intended from the start. after all, they've been trying so hard to really develop all of the characters. it might not be ideal in how it was presented, but i actually enjoyed the episode and thought it was interesting, entertaining, and thoughtful.

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
No Such Thing as the Promised Land

Shinsen Subs - Casshern SINS - Episode 19 - mkv torrent (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_19_%5B720p%5D%5BB7C89979%5D.mkv.torrent)

Lucifus
Sun, 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Absolutely loved this episode. I need to get my hands on that ending track.

MFauli
Sun, 02-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Damn, when that new female robot attacked again at the end, Lyuze said "i will live", and the other girls body was destroyed, i almost cried...dont even know why....

Beautful episode.

Kraco
Mon, 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
It was a good episode. I was half the time unsure whether Lyuze was just dreaming of getting rusty or whether she really was beginning to get ruined. But I guess at least the piece falling from her neck was real. The hand probably wasn't as it was shown a few times, as if by purpose, after the scene and it bore no marks.

The relationship of those two certainly countinue pretty rough. It makes good scenes, though, when Lyuze seems to want to touch Casshern but is only able to when she forgets to keep herself in check, and then when she notices, she always jumps back like from an enemy. And Casshern certainly has no clue of what's going on.

KitKat
Mon, 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
This was a really beautiful episode, and it fit together nicely with the last episode. I was pretty skeptical about Lyuze at the beginning, thinking her to be just another angsty side-character, but now she's become probably my favourite character of the show. Casshern has some of the same inner turmoil and conflictedness as Lyuze, but to a lesser extent. Where he has been trying to find his reason for living, she's had to give up her reason for living, and it leaves her feeling pretty lost in this episode. Throughout it all though, Casshern was there to support her. The relationship between those two is awkward at times, but really sweet, and has an innocence to it that you don't see much in television. It's not an epic romance or a schoolgirl crush, but something deeper that says, "Even if everything is ruined, you are worth living for."

>_>

Ok, I'm done being all girly and emotional now. Who would have thought a robot anime would make me all teary-eyed?

masamuneehs
Wed, 02-18-2009, 06:51 AM
kitkat said it, it's amazing how much Lyuze has grown from the "i want revenge for my dead family" archetype. and her interactions with Casshern are great because they're almost always a good blend of heart tearing emotion and steeled resolve.

also, the backgrounds in this show are ridiculously cool. you can really tell it's got people from Mushishi working on it even though the tone and color schemes are markedly different from that series.

didn't really care too much for Castor and Helen. thought we'd had enough of the throw-away bad guys in the first part of the show.

mfauli touched on it briefly too, but the part where Helen said, "I will not die", and Lyuze answered with, "I will live" really was a good scene, and I think it really does a good job of showcasing what i think is at the core of the Ruin and those who are either not being ruined and those who are.

Kraco
Wed, 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM
and I think it really does a good job of showcasing what i think is at the core of the Ruin and those who are either not being ruined and those who are.

Perhaps, but sounds a little bit too metaphysical for me.

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Broken Reflection

Shinsen-subs - Casshern SINS - Episode 20 - mkv torrent (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_20_%5B720p%5D%5B0BC402B5%5D.mkv.torrent)

edit- well, fucking hell. that was a downer. you sorta felt it coming, but, still... man... even i had to feel for old Dune at the end there. And he took it like a champ.

I think if there's one thing from this episode that we need to take away, it's what Ringo said Oji told her about how Luna heals people. She used to save people, but now she says she can't. Instead she is even destroying. Sort of like...

Oh, and did we just get some Braiking Boss development at the end there? I guess somebody has a little case of the guilts after all.

i loved when Dune reunited with Luna and his mask broke, that and the scene towards the very end with him were excellent. the fight was pretty well done too.

Kraco
Mon, 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm beginning to wonder what Luna was like before Casshern killed her. Casshern himself doesn't remember anything, and basically built his image of her based on what people said, calling her hope and healing and all good things. But in the end we don't know what she was like. Maybe this Luna isn't so different in the end? I think that would make a rather interesting plot element. I can't also help but feel Braiking Boss knows something significant about Luna he hasn't told anybody.

Pandadice
Mon, 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
i dunno. i couldn't really get into this episode :\.

the way things are going.. i really hope they don't try to use a NGE type ending

MFauli
Mon, 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Maybe this Luna isn't so different in the end? I think that would make a rather interesting plot element. I can't also help but feel Braiking Boss knows something significant about Luna he hasn't told anybody.

Haha, im totally talking out of my ass now, but how about: Luna IS the cause of the ruin. Not Casshern having killed her. Lets assume Braiking Boss knew that Luna would cause the ruin...he sent out his best fighters to kill her.
She still managed to start the ruin, thus making it look as if Casshern caused it by her death.

oh well, i dont think its like that, but nvm

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
after seeing this episode, part of me wants to buy into M's theory about Luna starting the Ruin, but I just can't. When Luna was around, there was no such thing as the Ruin. It was only after her incident with Casshern that the Ruin appeared. Of course, this brings up the fundamental question, again, of What is Ruin? but it also raises the question as to what exactly Luna did before the Ruin started. It's said that she became an enemy of Braiking Boss because he wanted only robots to rule, and she offered protection etc to the humans. But is it that simple?

On one hand, I could see this current Luna as someone who has "turned evil" from being killed by Casshern, and then decided to start the Ruin to punish the world. But on the other, her complete disdain for dying things, especially slowly dying things, would make her a very unlikely candidate for the one spreading the Ruin.

There's also the problem of Luna not actually healing anyone in this episode, something she admits in certain cases. I'm almost willing to bet my anime butt on the fact that, like I mentioned before, she somehow transfered all or most of her healing powers over to Casshern with 'her blood'. Of course, in some of the opening scenes of earlier episodes, Luna alsos appears to say, "Casshern, your blood changed me." Now, Casshern suddenly has a heart of gold, a desire to help people, and auto-healing. Luna is like ice and has no problem destroying things.

In the end, I have to disagree with Kraco's idea. I think this Luna really is different. Even Dune acted like something was wrong, and she certainly is different from how she appeared in his flashbacks.

Fially, although I didn't think of it for awhile, I thought it was interesting how we have Luna, who dislikes dying things so much that she orders half-alive flowers and robots to be buried alive, and Braiking Boss, who goes around creating monuments to the dead, admittedly because he has a desire to focus on the death and sacrifice.

KitKat
Tue, 02-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Well, I wasn't all that surprised at how this episode turned out. It wouldn't fit with the nature of this show to have a Luna who bestows healing and grants everyone salvation, and they live happily ever after. Dune certainly seemed to believe that she was the real Luna, but she was so harsh and uncaring. After the episode with the children, I think that Ringo still has a large part to play in stopping the ruin. Maybe she will become the next Luna?

Pandadice
Sat, 02-28-2009, 01:36 PM
episode 21 is out subbed

[Shinsen-Subs] Casshern Sins - 21 torrent avi (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_21_%5B720p%5D%5BF481E36B%5D.mkv.torrent)
[Shinsen-Subs] Casshern Sins - 21 torrent mkv (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_21_%5B4E2EC761%5D.avi.torrent)

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 03-01-2009, 03:03 AM
I still don't understand why Oji thinks Ringo has to be saved from ruin, they already explained she was human.

Our hero just got torn to hell and the preview doesn't give much information. If Casshern wanted to know the fear of death then he must know his body can be physically destroyed, just not susceptible to the ruin..,but that was seriously the heaviest ass beating I've ever seen.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
i always save Casshern for the last thing i do on a Monday night, but i've got a feeling i'm going to be up for a little while trying to sort a few of the things from this episode.

first, we have Dio and Leda. They're still about the same as always, except it becomes clearer that Leda is more interested in becoming the number one sought after person in the world. And Dio, well, that had to be the saddest I've ever seen a bad guy while he watches his nemisis get beat down (heaviest ass beating i've seen in a long time too...). Dio doesn't just want Casshern to die, HE wants to be the one to defeat Casshern. Right? Or doesn't he? Is it even possible that Dio doesn't know what he really wants? I have a bad feeling that the poor guy is going to be confused right until he meets his end...

Lyuze and Ringo. Heartfelt performance from them as always. The scene with Lyuze was really pretty moving too. I never thought this angsty romance would grow on me, but it has.

Oji. So he uncovers the past and says that what Luna granted in the past was death. In the past too (as BB once said), humans were essentially immortal. But Boss despised that, and sought to restore the power of death to the world (it fits in rather well with both his name and the hobby that was revealed a few episodes back). Then and this is what I cannot understand, Oji says, "However, humans survived at Luna's side, albeit poorly. Poorly, but certainly. However, what Luna granted was death."

Luna in the Past. So Luna resists Boss, or, at least becomes the rallying point for those who resist Boss. And humans that are with her survive. However, she grants death as salvation. Basically, does this mean that she helped humans survive Boss' attacks only so that she could kill them herself? Or was it her intention to simply have them live out their lives and die naturally? Whichever, she is attacked by Casshern and "changed by his blood".

Luna in the Present. Luna despises death, greatly so. She has created a place where people seek out her salvation, people who apparently can beat the crap out of each other and go about living wickedly indulgent lives now that they've been saved. However, she has said before that there are some she cannot save.

Casshern. Casshern lives forever, but does not think of it as necessarily a good thing. However, as Oji commented, it's easy for Casshern to have noble ideals about life and death, since he has no choice but to be immortal (even though he sure tried like hell to let himself be killed this episode).

Ruin. The Ruin is death, death for robots, death for men. It advances suddenly when a thing experiences great trauma, it advances haphazardly when one engages in indulgences or recklessness, it advances no matter what with the passage of time. There have been several instances of robots who have survived well, continuing to be almost unruined for a long time, but, eventually, they have all succumbed to it, even Boss, Dio and Leda, and quite possibly even Ringo, who is most likely both human and robot, but will Ruin either way. Severe levels of dedication and attachment to life (not fear of death or desire not to die) have often been present in those who have endured the Ruin well, but the only exception to the Ruin is Casshern... and just maybe Luna...

Salvation. Luna's "salvation", it seems, is also an exception to the Ruin. Robots can endure great trauma with no apparent aftereffects, although it is unknown how long this "salvation" lasts. Luna has, however, declared that she is unable to give salvation to certain individuals, notably Dune (who rejected it, leading me to believe that one must desire Luna's salvation for it to actually work on them).

Throughout the show, Ruin has been synonymous with death, Luna's "salvation" has been synonymous with eternal life. A robot that has ruined is dead. A robot that has been saved by Luna is immortal. Everything in between is simply alive, even though they are heading for Ruin. HOWEVER, I feel the point we're heading towards is going to make some distinctions between this "immortality" and "life". In sum, I believe the show is making the case that it is impossible to be alive and to be immortal.

Now, bear with me, because I'm just struggling to make sense of all this myself, and it's not like something I think people can really solidly figure out. Now, you know, there's no trying to get around these ridiculously deep metaphysical issues. They're important elements in the show, and I've got a feeling they will only become more explicitly addressed as the series draws to a close. I'm just stabbing at them as best I can. This kind of thing is far from something I could ever claim to know.

The world has always been composed of opposites and the interval between them. Life and death. Day and night. Good and evil. It is a rather small thinking exercise to understand how one requires the other to exist. This is not to say that, should the sun shine forever and in all places, that it would outwardly be any different from that which we call day. However, with an eternal daytime, the way of thinking about 'day', about the sun and everything that comes from it, would change.

It is very hard to ever put these things into words, because every attempt to do so seems to have failings somewhere in them. But I think the point is that life without death is not really life at all. If we were to live forever, part of that existence could quite possibly entail drawing breath, pumping blood, brain activity, but such an existence is only "life as we know it" when we are conscious of another, alternative and inevitable state: the cessation of breath, the ebb of blood, the void of cerebral functions. The fact that we must face death changes everything about how we live our lives.

Of course, if we had to decide, which would we rather have?, I don't think anybody could ever truly answer. You have to have tried both the steak and the chicken to know which one you really want. But this is a single-serving meal, and I'm pretty sure none of us were handed menus prior to it starting. You can play with your food, you can eat it slowly, you can down it as fast as you can, and you never quite know when the meal's going to be over. So all you can really do is do like they say in Japan, "itadakimasu".

masamuneehs
Sat, 03-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Burning in the Hearts of Men

Shinsen-Subs - Casshern SINS - Episode 22 - mkv torrent (http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_22_%5B720p%5D%5B22222222%5D.mkv.torrent)

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Damn, is Leda a permanent vegetable now? She should have stopped while she was ahead. I wonder why she thinks she and Dio can have offspring if they are eternal.

Good to see Casshern back in action and ready to kill Dio. Two more episodes left, I'm really going to miss this show. Here's hoping they end it well.

Kraco
Mon, 03-09-2009, 01:36 AM
According to this episode this is the same Luna, who used to grant death to the immortals in the past but now is, some believe, in the business of granting life to the all too mortal people. It doesn't seem like it quite works, though, or at least there's some serious trick involved, and I'm inclined to think it's not just a psychological trick.

Leda certainly got what she deserved. Maybe she will stay forever beautiful now as a statue...

Edit. Hmm... Maybe the ruin was in the beginning a limited method to grant a death to an immortal, but now it's reversed, the ruin being everywhere and Luna being able to control it in individuals.

Kraco
Sat, 03-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Alive yet not living:

Episode 23 - SHS (http://a.scarywater.net/shs/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_23_%5B720p%5D%5BC19BDAEC%5D.mkv.torrent)

- - - - -

I can't say this episode would have presented anything really surprising. It did strenghten, though, my previous assertion that this Luna is not so different from the previous one, who was largely unknown to use, aside from various people considering her some sort of an idol, thus granting only a very twisted perception.

Pandadice
Sun, 03-15-2009, 04:21 AM
hey, for those were are interested in getting the insert songs, here they are.

A Path (http://www.mediafire.com/?ndmw1c2zmxn)
Sky (http://www.mediafire.com/?d4yd5e0mmyn)

i got 'um. sounds great ^^

NeoBear
Fri, 03-20-2009, 11:58 PM
episode 24

http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-Subs%5D_Casshern_SINS_-_24_%5B720p%5D%5BA46357E3%5D%5BFinal%5D.mkv.torren t

sigh i have nothing to say that was fucking pathetic

KitKat
Sat, 03-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Seconded. I was expecting a lot more from the end of this series. The bit with Dio was much more vivid and intense. This whole episode seemed somewhat surreal, as if it was just a side story away from the main plot.

I couldn't believe Lyuze. What happened to our woman of determination? She lost the edge that made her my favourite, and dissolved into an insipid invalid. Thumbs down for you, Lyuze. Grown-up Ringo was pretty cool, but there are a lot of questions they left unanswered. Plus, how does a small child survive on her own with no one to take care of her? Seems awfully negligent of Casshern just to disappear and leave her alone.

I guess I just feel like we didn't get much of a conclusion. Casshern solves their problems by telling them not to forget death? Come on, there has to be a better way to end a series than that.

Well, enough complaining from my end. I really loved this series, despite my dislike of how they concluded it. I'd still recommend it to my friends without reservations.

Kraco
Sat, 03-21-2009, 07:38 AM
It certainly was an odd sort of way to conclude the story. I was expecting the world to find a way to live in balance with the ruin, that is, evolution developing species and strains resistant to it. I guess Ringo was one such thing. Or was she? Casshern told Luna to keep healing people, so who knows if that means the whole planet would depend on the blood of one individual for survival. That would seem somewhat unreasonable.

Braiking boss's end was also somewhat dubious, because he ended up doing absolutely nothing during the series except die for his crimes in the end like a million other robots. Somewhat wasted potential.

Not a strong end but a decent series all in all, with quite heavy atmosphere.

Pandadice
Sat, 03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
well I thought it was a good way to end a great series.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, and give it an 8/10.

MFauli
Sun, 03-22-2009, 05:33 AM
i liked the episode and i liked the pure content of the ending, BUT: The ending scenes felt rushed...simply from a time matter of perspective. Casshern enters Luna&#180;s room, tells her to not forget about death, leaves, cut to adult Ringo, end. All that in like 2 or less minutes. It would have been a much better end if these scenes took more time to pan out. Like a more epic speech of Casshern to Luna, then a more quiet, lenghty cut towards Ringo, who&#180;s living her sweet-bitter life with Friender. Then a bit more of a final message from Ringo, and THEN you can end the show.

Great show, overall, though.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 03-22-2009, 08:14 AM
The anime had a good start, with great dialogue. But the pace slowed down and the dialogues got stretched. The ending ruined it for me.