PDA

View Full Version : Started watching Bleach

Kusanagi
Sat, 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM
...and I have to say it's not bad. I like the anime's that bring about the style of the Edo era Japan and this seems to mix that, via the shinigami, and modern Japan, via everything else.

I also noticed, at least it sounds like, Ishida's voice actor also does the voice for Sasuke.

That made me wonder how many other voice actors do crossovers to major characters in other anime.

Also, and maybe it will be answered later, but why is Ichigo's sword so freakin huge compared to the one Rukia had when she was first seen. Not sure I understand but I liked the classical style over the oversized style.

darkmetal505
Sat, 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
A lot of voice actors crossover in different animes. Ichigo's sword and a hell of a lot more is explained as you move through the series.

Abdula
Sun, 09-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Wow I find it so weird that you're just starting Bleach considering how popular it is. Anyway like he said everything will be explained.

Enjoy Bleach, when it first started it was my favorite series, and the Soul Society arc is the best the series has to offer.

Jessper
Sun, 09-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Take care to avoid the fillers, they are a serious pitfall of this series. Everything besides filler has been amazing imo.

Kusanagi
Sun, 09-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Well since I dont read the manga, might be hard to know what is filler vs what is not.

Kraco
Sun, 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Hard, eh? I wish it was hard...

No, I really wish it was hard. You might be fooled for a couple of episodes but then the reality will hit like Sado's right fist.

Abdula
Sun, 09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Well since I dont read the manga, might be hard to know what is filler vs what is not.
The fillers start after episode 63 so enjoy it while you can because fillers really killed this series.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-29-2008, 03:13 AM
You guys are nuts.

The Bount arc is like the best filler arc in the history of shounen anime.

I mean, yeah, its still filler, so its not as good as the non-filler stuff, but for filler, it was really well done.

The later fillers though....woof...Naruto quality...

Kraco
Mon, 09-29-2008, 04:47 AM
The Bounto arc might have had potential if it hadn't had the dolls that were the worst filler characters in the history of shounen anime, and if it had been half the length of what it was (without the dolls this condition would also have been fulfilled). As it is now, it's far from the best. Watch One Piece for some decent fillers.

Jessper
Mon, 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Exactly, the massive section of that arc dedicated to the dolls was so awful then they spill into everything else.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I disagree that making the arc any shorter would have improved it. In fact, short filler arcs is one of the biggest problems with filler arcs. They don't take the time to develop their characters, so you don't care about them.

By the end of the Bount arc, characters like Kariya and Rantou feel like fully realized characters.

I will say that it sucks when the filler dolls interfere in the non-filler arcs though. That's stupid.

Also...I like Nova.

Kraco
Mon, 09-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I said the amount it would have been shortened if the dolls had never existed would have satisfied me. Without the cursed dolls it could have been a decent filler.

And my condolences; it must be tough to like one of them.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM
It ain't easy. Lemme tell ya.

TwisT
Tue, 09-30-2008, 06:44 AM
I guess it's a matter of taste but i think the best filler so far is OPs filler arc when they land in the marine fortress after Skypeia. That actually felt like it was part of the original story. Even though i read the manga i wasn't sure that it was a filler or if i simply had forgotten about it in the manga. If others hadn't pointed it out i wouldn't have really known. And that's when you know that the filler was probably the best filler you will ever see.

Bounto was decent. The first half was better then the average fillers, and i actually enjoyed it even though it was fillers. But the second half (when they get to SS and right before that) it quickly went downhill IMO. Really ruined it.

I liked the filler episodes of Bleach. The once with that goofy ghost/spirit guy. You know, Mr. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha. Those where good. A little episode of comedy, and you knew that next week it's back to normal. Not like the current fillers that you know that you wont get to watch Bleach for months. And that's what make you lose interest in the show.

But except the filler-arcs Bleach is a great show. And i agree with Abdula. The Soul Society arc was the best and i really envy you that hasn't seen it yet. Remember how hooked i was while watching it. Bleach was basically tied with Naruto and slightly behind OP those days.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
I loved the second half of the Bount arc. I thought the fact that they took the Captains that had used their Bankai's during the SS arc but got their asses kicked, then pitted them against some super powerful Bount and basically let those character reclaim some of their badass cred.

I mean, getting to see Mayuri and Soi Fon kill someone was awesome I thought.

Archangel
Thu, 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
You guys are nuts.

The Bount arc is like the best filler arc in the history of shounen anime.

I mean, yeah, its still filler, so its not as good as the non-filler stuff, but for filler, it was really well done.

The later fillers though....woof...Naruto quality...

Quoted for truth

Stop watching after episode 167 tough, the current filler arc is fucking pathetic.

animus
Thu, 10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
They should probably do what One Piece does. Basically, 1/3 of the actual episode is taken up by OP, ED, and flashbacks, and the Pirate King intro, leaving maybe 14-16 minutes of actual content.

That, or Kubo learns to stop putting such little content into each of his chapters.

Archangel
Thu, 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
They should probably do what One Piece does. Basically, 1/3 of the actual episode is taken up by OP, ED, and flashbacks, and the Pirate King intro, leaving maybe 14-16 minutes of actual content.

That, or Kubo learns to stop putting such little content into each of his chapters.

lol i noticed that too, but one Piece is still one of the few animes that's just as good or even better than the manga. Not only that, all of the filler arcs have been of great quality.

RyougaZell
Thu, 10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
People... you realize you are talking about 'future arcs' to a user that just started watching? Great way to spoil him. But I guess its his fault for posting anyway...

Kraco
Thu, 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
He hasn't posted in this thread for a long time, so chances are he realised all the spoiler possibilities and thus avoids this thread wisely. Or perhaps he spent a few nights without sleep and already caught up.

Archangel
Thu, 10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
He hasn't posted in this thread for a long time, so chances are he realised all the spoiler possibilities and thus avoids this thread wisely. Or perhaps he spent a few nights without sleep and already caught up.

Or perhaps we don't care if this thread spoils the show for him or not, we're just glad that we actually have something interesting to discuss in the bleach forum?

Kusanagi
Thu, 10-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I've passed the SS arc and am just browsing the the filler bount arc, as I just don't generally care for filler. As for the fellow who worried about me and spoilers, thanks for concern but they don't really bother me much.

One question about Ichigo though, and perhaps other animes as well, why does 'good' Ichigo wear black and have a black sword while the 'evil' Ichigo he fought on the sideway's buildings wear white??

Is this a product of traditional Japanese folklore, or just how it wound up being? It just seems a little backwards from a Western point of view, i.e. white hats vs black hats.

animus
Thu, 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM
They are Shinigami aka Death Gods, them wearing white would be quite a ways misleading.

Jessper
Thu, 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
That was not the point I think Animus... We see a lot of this juxtaposed color issue, Ichigo in his full black getup opposed to Byakuya in white, Ichigo vs White Ichigo. These encounters always seem to set black as being the good guy when traditionally it is opposite. One could say that it is just because Shinigami should wear black like the traditional Grim Reaper but it is more likely that the opposites wear white as an artistic choice.

It isn't a new concept to flip the colors vs their implied meanings, I'm not sure if it is more prevalent in Japanese culture but I would guess it means the same thing in their eyes and the flip is done for effect.